Top 50 Gunners – Poll Results

Following on from our Greatest Squad yesterday we can now reveal the 50 Greatest according to ArsenalArsenal bloggers and the votes cast throughout the summer.

GN5 the stats man has also added their total appearances, goals and their placing on the Arsenal.com Top 50 (if they featured at all). One of the aims of this exercise (as well as filling the void of the footballing desert of summer) was to bring to life some of those players from yesteryear that we had heard of but not necessarily know much more about than era and that they played for us.

Thanks to GN5’s efforts some detail has been added to so many of the names of the past, my thanks again to GN5 for making this summer of articles so much more than I envisaged when first floating the idea.

No. Player Votes Position Joined Left Games Goals A.Com
44 George Male 10 Defender 1929 1948 318 0
44 Alan Smith 10 Striker 1987 1995 347 115 27
47 Alf Baker 9 Midfielder 1919 1931 351 26
47 Jack Butler 9 Defender 1914 1930 296 8
47 Jack Lambert 9 Striker 1926 1933 161 109
50 Bob John 8 Defender 1922 1937 470 13

So there you have it our 50 Greatest Players according to the AA Readers, thanks again for joining us on this trip down memory lane.

GunnerN5 and Gooner in Exile

116 Responses to Top 50 Gunners – Poll Results

1. Norfolk Gooner says:

Good morning to you all.

More excellent work from our historian and our statistician.

I’m consider myself privileged to have seen 36 of the Top 50 Gunners play live.

2. Abiodun olanrewaju says:

This is totally rubbish,where is kanu nwankwo?

3. Joe Strummer says:

That list is wrong on so many levels. Fabregas above Keown and McLlintock? Bould, Rocky, Parlour and Freddie should be much higher as well. And Adams and Bergkamp should be 1 and 2.

4. Norfolk Gooner says:

Abiodun,

Kanu is running the Kanu Heart Foundation and is a UNICEF Ambassador. Although where percisely he is, I don’r know.

Morning Adiodun and Joe, the list is simply a reflection of how people voted, so if you believe in democracy it can’t be ‘wrong’.

Kanu was a fantastic player but failed to fulfill the crieria for consideration as he didn’t make enough appearances for Arsenal.

6. Morning all, Abi – to fit into the criteria for selection for the poll every player had to play a mininum number of games, I think it was 200, so Kanu didn’t meet the minimum number of appearances required to be selected for the poll.

Joe, I don’t see how a poll can be “wrong on so many levels” if it is merely asking for opinions from blog readers. Above is simply a summary of the results of daily votes we’ve had here over the summer – nothing more, nothing less. The rightness ofor wrongnewss of it I see as a non sequiter.

While I’m here I must thank N5 and GiE again for their efforts over the summer while we tried to distract ourselves from the shenanigans of the transfer/torture window.

Doff, chapeau, my, you, to, I. πŸ™‚

7. Raspers – you beat me to it.

Having said that I doubt we’ll hear from Abi/Joe again.

8. Gooner In Exile says:

The Arse.com results are precisely why I’m glad we split the vote between eras.

Characters like Barnes, Hapgood and Mercer didnt even feature in their top 50!!!!

I need to see who kept them out…..be back in a bit.

9. Gooner In Exile says:

Hmmm Wiltord amongst others.

We were quite strict with our criteria, they had to be in the top 24 players in their category in terms of appearances, I say we when in fact it was me, if GN5 had his way he would have spent many more enjoyable hours profiling about 30+ players in each position and now I feel a bit of killjoy for stopping him πŸ™‚

But thinking on maybe it gives us an opportunity to fill post days when there is not a lot of news? GN5 could perhaps profile some of the men who didnt make it on to our poll, we could make it a once a week thing, or just a random offering, what say the good fellows of AA? Actually should probably ask GN5 first πŸ˜€

10. Here’s 3 who did not make it.
    Malcolm McDonald
    Marc overmars
    Charlie George
    Sheep

11. Red Arse says:

An excellent table, well presented encapsulating the work and the voting over many weeks.

I query the use of the word ‘Poll’ in the headline, as maybe the two early moaners are confusing its meaning as a ‘vote’, with an alternative meaning referring to ‘the top of a cow’s head’.

Or maybe they are just stupid. πŸ™‚

12. Red Arse says:

Sheeper,

When you listed players who din not make it (the tea?) you showed;

Malcolm McDonald
    Marc overmars
    Charlie George
    Sheep

Can you tell me which position Sheep played in? πŸ™‚

Morning all,

The Arsenal.com top 50 placing was cut off so I hope this works.

Our all time Top 50

47 – Alf Baker –
    47 – Jack Butler –
    47 – Jack Lambert –
    50 – Bob John –

14. Red Arse says:

GIE,

I think you and GN5 have done enough of the hard work.

What about asking for suggestions for the best players over the last 20 years, regardless of position.

That way, even those who did not read the excellent bios could have their say, and stop whingeing about criteria.

Mind you, it might need someone ( not me πŸ™‚ ) to take the suggestions from each blogger and put them on a spreadsheet for collation into a list of the top 11 (?).

Full of suggestions, me. πŸ™‚

15. Red arse
    Sheep did not play ,he was just a black sheep who got lost.
    🐏

16. evonne says:

hm, interesting results
    I think the reason TH14 received more votes than any other player is simply because there were just more votes on that day, people are more likely to have a favourite striker than a favourite defender or goalie (unless you are the co-author of this post).

I would have Bergkamp and Wrighty above Thierry, and demote R$P from 32nd to 51st. Some older stars didn’t do well in the poll, probably because most voting bloggers are the younger generation who grew up with the Invincibles.

One way or another it has been great fun participating in the series! When are the new series start?

evonne,

You are correct the strikers did receive the most votes 1,073 but the midfielders were not far behind with 985 votes.

In point of fact Thierry’s votes continued to accumulate right up to the final day of voting he was by far the most popular choice. The fact is he got 44% more votes than Bergkamp and 68% more than Wright and their votes came in at the same time.

Sorry but the numbers don’t lie, he was #1 on our poll and #1 on the Arsenal .com poll for a good reason – he was the best player ever to pull on an Arsenal shirt..

What happened to Big Al, we haven’t heard from him in weeks?

19. evonne says:

see what I mean GN5 – best looking always win!!
    I should have stuck to my criteria πŸ™‚

Kelsey, dandan, neaman,

Are you all as pleased as I am seeing so many of our old time legends making the AA top 50.

21. Good valid point Gn5.
    Best player won .
    It’s not rocket science
    Sheep Haggerβ„’

22. Daniel adeaga says:

What of Colo toure, eboue, adebayor, nwanko kanu, nasri, Alex song, if all diz name are not there, atleast kanu must make the least.

23. Daniel – see @10.10 and @10.14.

Daniel they were all very good players but unfortunately they did not meet our profiling criteria , which was number of games played or in the case of our strikers it was a combination of either games played or goals scored.

Kanu was an incredible player and his come from behind hat trick against Chelsea , when we were losing 2-0, is still etched in my memory.

Sorry to disappoint you.

Yes I am GN5. one has to have seen them litterally in the flesh to appreciate their skils and remember,pitches,boots and balls were completely different then and I would say it was more difficult in those days to produce some of the skills we see today with improved pitches,fitness, diet etc.

Too true Kelsey we will never know how good the likes of Cliff Bastin, Alex James, Ted Drake or David Jack might have been had they played in the modern era.

It was very pleasing to see Joe Shaw (1907-1923) on the list, incredibly enough he played in 326 games before any of us were even born

GN5 and GiE

I really have run out of “Thank You’s”
    The whole series has been very enjoyable and informative. I am a better Gunner for it πŸ™‚
    There must have been moments during your toil when you thought “Is this really worth all the effort?”
    A resounding “yes” would be the answer.
    A final, and massive, thank you from me.

28. Red Arse says:

Now I think my rather sanguine view on transfer matters is fairly well known — they will or they won’t happen and it is not worth fussing about things outside my control.

That said; I was fairly confident, irrespective of football matters, that Higuain would eventually sign for us because his wife has a new post in London. He did not — and I expect divorce proceedings in due course.

With Suarez, I would be happy to have him as a player, but it would not fuss me if he did not come, because of his personal characteristics.

If he had caused a nuisance of himself at ‘Pool, I suspect he would eventually be ushered out of the door.
    He hasn’t raised a ripple since it became clear RM are not interested in him. Without his connivance [see RvP’s machinations last year] I do not think that transfer will now take place.

Arsenal should make it clear they have withdrawn their offer, and move on, but make immediate efforts to obtain a quality signature immediately to satisfy some of the more excitable fans!!

Just a thought.

MD89.

Ta very much.

For me, the biggest single surprise is Brady coming in at No 9, and interestingly, even on the A.com poll he comes in at No 8.

My money would have been at No 3’ish, based not on what I believe, but on what I would have imagined the fanbase would have thought.

RA
    Sanguine you may well be, but I will be hopping mad if two top players don’t rock up.
    I would have said “livid” but then Rocky would ink me in for walking lightly in me loafers πŸ™‚
    Judgementalist is what he is.

Redders and Micky, I have a post coming up on the subject so keep your powder dry for another day πŸ™‚

I think it’s a game of poker at the moment between Moyes,Mourinho and Wenger .Once the first move happens it will be bedlam.

…….. I’m surprised its taken this long for the chavs to mentioned in connection with signing Suarez. Maybe we will end up with Torres after all?

35. Red Arse says:

Rasper.

I think a Post, by you, on Micky’s tendency to walk lightly in loafers with one hand placed delicately on his hip, as revealed by Rocky, is an excellent idea.

I will sharpen my pencil in expectation of responding to your lurid expose!!

RA,

One thing that seldom changes is Arsenal’s stance on either player, salaries, contract negotiations or transfer dealings, they are nearly always muted. I like that stance as I believe that they should remain private between the clubs and the players.

From time to time we get clubs with their own agendas or ambitious agents who leak details. that is when we may hear something from Arsenal.

The only time we usually hear from Arsenal is when they have something concrete to announce, that’ s why I sit back and wait patiently/nervously for them to say something.

I sure hope that we get –

a) A recognised goalkeeper who can create competition and bring out the best in Szczesny.
    b) Another central midfielder, for cover.
    c) A Suarez type to tuck away all of the chances we create and waste.

πŸ˜† Redders, You forgot to mention Micky’s pure silk neckerchief, his extended mother of pearl cigarette holder and Liberace hair style

GN5
    I agree with your three, however, I firmly believe if b and c are of the highest quality, then there’s a real opportunity to mount a serious challenge for the title.

Rasp
    The words “hair” and “style” don’t sit comfortably in my case. “Hedge” and “storm damage” maybe.

Can you ask Peaches, or maybe you know the answer, when and where gaps in the “need post” box are. What happens is the call goes out early morning, and I’m usually here talking to myself, and have my pants down!

Don’t RA, just don’t πŸ™‚

Hi Micky, we’re all ‘gaps’ from now on. Its too obvious to keep publishing posts on potential transfers – but that is what is occupying most supporters minds at the moment.

42. Red Arse says:

GN5,

I totally agree with your sensible stance on possible transfers, which is much like my own.

In contrast to Arsenal’s more muted approach, gabby Rogers cannot stop mouthing off about Suarez, and being dismissive of Arsenal.
    The man lacks class!

I am not sure about your a, b, c, tho’.

I would not be surprised if we bought a (Brazilian) GK, but that could be very injurious to the confidence of Chezzer.
    If we bought a new DM I do not know how he would fit in unless it resulted in a current player (Arteta – Rambo – Frimpong) leaving — so just a swap really.
    Finally, I do not think there is another Suarez type available, and I suspect AW might settle for another athletic ‘prospect’ coming in to join the other new boy Sanogo and Olly Giro.

But reverting to my earlier stance, I am content to watch with interest, but no special viewpoint on any of it. πŸ™‚

Rasp

Thinking of fag holders, I had a brilliant idea earlier. Low tide was 6:30, so Oscar and I blasted off for a few hours surfing before the day got going, and after two hours I was thinking how useful a waterproof E-ciggy would be.

Surfing while smoking. Bliss πŸ™‚

44. Red Arse says:

Micky,

I cannot tell you how hard it is — ooer — to keep schtum on the possible glut of risque comments I could indulge in, but your comment about standing around in the morning chatting to Chas, Evonne and myself with your pants down, has had a rather sobering effect and left me unusually flaccid. πŸ™‚

That’s it RA,

I can just about cope with you being all sanguine and what have you, but “AW might settle for another athletic β€˜prospect’”! Final straw material that is.

Don’t care what Rocky thinks…Livid, I tell you, is what I will be.

Oops my b) above should have read a centre back for additional cover.

It’s time to do my daily brain exercise – a Mega Sudoku

Hence the.. Don’t RA, just don’t πŸ™‚

49. Red Arse says:

πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

50. Jamietheleftback says:

WHO VOTED FOR VAN JUDAS!!!!!!!

51. evonne says:

Jamie – you didn’t answer my question – name the French teenagers that our team is full of

Jamie,

Possibly 21 Arsenal fans who judged him on his football ability or 21 interloping Man U fans.

53. Great work again chaps, another thank-you from me too.
    I understand why Thierry Henry is top, but part of what made him the legend he is was the artistry and exquisite football of Dennis Bergkamp, who was probably the best, in terms of technique, to wear the Arsenal shirt. And he showed more loyalty than Henry.

Apparently Bale has told AVB he wants to go to Real, it will be interesting to see what other transfers this triggers?

55. Raspers – if monkey boy leaves that contravenes Premier League rules that require there to be 20 teams in it each season.

56. evonne says:

Rasp – if that is true we could be in trouble. Scum would have lots of money to spend and might go after our targets.

I still want him to go, will laugh my socks off if they sell

πŸ˜† chary. I can’t believe the spud supporters who think that they will spend the Β£85m on players ….. deluded or what?

Haha evonne, I typed my comment before yours came up. I think the money will be a very healthy boost to their stadium building fund and may well ensure the Soldado deal goes through, but there is zero chance they will spend it on any other top players.

59. evonne says:

still. If they get Β£85mil compared to our top selling Β£25m, I will cringe

If they are really being offered that type of money they should quit posturing and take the deal. Who knows what might happen to him, he could get a devastating injury in pre season and that would end any possibility of a sale and they don’t have any other resource that could bring in that size of a return.

Has he been involved in any of their pre-season games? – I never read any of their news so I have no idea myself.

61. Hi all

We need loads of posts now to take us through to the start of the season.

We could have match reports for the Emirates cup games if anyone wants to volunteer for those and obviously we have our own transfer drama to write about.

Hopes and dreams for the new season or just moaning about how we might not have moved forward.

Either way the debacle at the totts is keeping the airwaves full of unhappy spuds ……… just heard that Stephen Caulker has been moved on too!!!

Let us know if you’ve an idea for a post that you can write up and I’ll pencil you in for that day.

Micky
    Calm yourself down Dearie πŸ™‚

My loafers are on fire πŸ™‚

Thing is this, Rocky, the way I see things is that by all reasonable accounts, there is some money in the kitty.

So, my question is this, what are they going to spend it on?

Now, if you have any better suggestions than my Company Jet, then I’d love to hear it. πŸ™‚

I think they are going to spend SOME of it…

And, like Rasp, I suspect it’s going to end up with us getting Torres just as Kelsey predicted long ago.

Fellatio to United, Rooney to the Chavs, Torres to us.

I’m not sure whether that’s a πŸ™‚ or a 😦

Kinda leaves Suarez in the lurch πŸ™‚

I have a feeling Bale will be Madrid bound, and no way can they afford The Nibbler as well.

ps If he joins The Arsenal, he had a nibble, if he doesn’t, he’s a savage πŸ™‚

If we sign Suarez I do hope that they change the music at the Ems so that our players walk out to the theme tune from Jaws…

GiE
    Thankyou for compiling today’s list – fascinating reading.

Mostly it vindicates the extremely clever way the voting was organised by you and Gn5 (i.e., having separate votes for different eras).

“Best player” polls are always going to favour the more recent players but I feel our list redresses the balance somewhat.

69. Shard says:

Rocky,

Whenever I hear the Jaws theme all I can think of anymore is this

Shard πŸ™‚

Micky
    As well as “light in the loafers” the other funny/odd euphemism I’ve heard is “a friend of Dorothy’s” πŸ™‚

72. Shard says:

For me Bergkamp should be 1st, but I understand why Henry is up there, both in the official poll an our AA poll. Pires is the one who rounds it off for me.

Vieira was a great player but his legacy isn’t quite as great. Same with Wright, although I never saw his glory days so am less saddened by his media drivel.

I would have love to have seen some of the older players on this list. The team of the 30s. The double winners of 71. I think the players I would most like to have seen were David Jack and Liam Brady. Too bad I couldn’t vote for more players because it’s such a tough call for so many great players to receive such few votes. But this has been a wonderful learning experience for me. I will keep going back and referring to it. Thank you GN5 and GIE.

Peaches.
    I still haven’t sorted out all the photos and stuff from my day out at Barnet but I’ll try and do that and make a post out of it.

Rocky,

Frankly the first sort was by the standard criteria then I chose to profile them from the earliest to the latest. GIE had always wanted to group them by different eras and in the end it was just a pleasant coincidence that they were broken out by era.

I wanted to include our early players, as many of our bloggers may never have either heard of or seen them, and thankfully there were many who had stats that met the criteria.

Nice to hear that Peaches is going to dedicate a page exclusively to the posts.

Theme tune from Jaws
    Brilliant πŸ™‚

Why do “they” all like musicals?

75. Red Arse says:

I was going to comment before retiring for the evening, but I am a bit afraid I may be intruding on a lovely soiree between Rock-my-cradle and Micky-more-than-most! 😳

Friend of Dorothy indeed — and I suppose you are the Wiz of Oz, Rocky! πŸ™‚

I am the tin man I am the tin man, no I am a walrus……………or is that a Beatle?

77. Red Arse says:

Thank God you are not Glinda the Witch then GN5!! πŸ™‚

Redders
    Just don’t pull back my curtain… (or should I say “drape” for you πŸ™‚ )

Anyway Redders, you can intrude. Micky and I are not fussy and there’s always extra room in our loafers…

OK, quick quiz:

Without looking it up on the internet, what were each of the following characters hoping to get from the Wizard of Oz:

Dorothy
    Tin Man
    Lion
    Scarecrow

Rasp
    I have put a ‘timeless’ Post in drafts. Not much cop but might fill a gap on a day when there’s nothing else.
    It would benefit from having pictures added if you (or someone) has the knowhow.

Loafers
    Brain
    Heart
    Penis

83. Shard says:

Scarecrow wanted a brain. Lion wanted courage, and Tin man wanted a heart. Dorothy, I don’t recall. Did she just want a way to get home?

Thanks for a magnificent series GN5 and GIE.

85. Shard says:

chas πŸ˜€

86. Gooner In Exile says:

Evening all, another AA blogging day passes one more day before real sport starts again πŸ™‚

Although I am looking forward to the Ashes tomorrow, can we wrap it up in two days?

87. neamman says:

Anyone know a stream to watch the ashes? I can only get radio here in Canada

Thanks Rocky, I’ll get on it.

Does anyone know if the Napoli game is on TV?

AFC.com says BT tv – is this going to happen?

90. Gooner In Exile says:

According to Sky TV Guide BT Sport does indeed have the Emirates Cup.

Which means I now need to go in to bat with Sky about some kind of deal to reduce Broadband and give me BT Sport. To be fair I’ll be no better off going to BT as their Internet deals are not as cheap as Sky but it’ll make me feel better if I get some discount πŸ™‚

Welcome back from your breaks LB and Chas.

Two rather different kinds of holidays, I suspect. One: burning heat, mountains, sweat and endurance. The other: really too sordid to delve deeply on a family site πŸ™‚

Morning.

If you have time read post by yogi on A Cultured Left Foot ,and he expresses severe doubts about, AW, the strength of squad , how the game has changed since we last one a trophy and if Wenger really can cope with this huge upsurge of cash being thrown into the top three clubs. he even suggests dein would be lost today as football is now more and more a business and for the majority of clubs it is to keep above water and that though no doubt it a remarkable achievement to secure top 4 for so many years on a very restricted budget it will get tougher season after season to bridge the gap to the 3 money clubs.
    Kroenke is only interested in profit for the club as a whole and I can’t see a real huge impact of money being invested on the pitch.

We have definitely released a lot of overheads and I guess Bedtner and Chamakh will find new homes and also come off the wage bill but IMO we cannot challenge without strength in depth.
    I appreciate deals are far more complex than only a few years back and though many payers obviously want to win trophies the liure of ridiculoous wages is the main reason they leave us or won’t join.

I know many won’t agree with me but we are a great club,steeped in tradition but we are now second tier and if Wenger does leave in a year or two will much change if Kroenke is still at the helm.

We have a fairly settled squad and should have added 2 or 3 by now.It’s not too late but the bedding in time is nearly always a factor.

To have or not to have a sugar daddy, that seems to be your question Kelsey.

Micky,
    I’m not sure you should be calling LB’s holiday ‘sordid’.

Haven’t we been a second tier club punching above our weight throughout the Wenger years?

No chas and Good morning. Only since the Russian and Arab obscene money rolled in.

Godd point LB. Not sure as this can’t go on indefinitely. Soon we will have a 100 million pound player.

Morning, kelsey.
    So when we were jostling with the mancs for top spot it wasn’t against the odds due to their overwhelming financial superiority?

Last one, then I’ll read the comments. This is terrifying.

Funny pic

I was reading somewhere yesterday that we are the only club not to have bought the premiership.

The mancs because their income gives them pole position automatically.

Blackburn – feel sorry for them now run by the chicken franchise.

chavs – a club whose history starts in 2004

blue oilers – buying players so that other teams can’t have them – nice.

Peaches
    Conversation starter sent.

Can’t argue there chas,but IMO we had a far better squad and it was a two horse race.

Re: the money in the game. Despite overwhelming odds, I still believe that two quality additions and we could have real hope of launching a challenge.

Having the “hope” factor makes all the difference. I really think we can afford that without the Sugar Daddy, and I’m sure we will make those two signings.

If not, the loafers are charcoal πŸ™‚

Would we be allowed to assemble the 2002 or 2004 squad under current conditions in 2013?
    To me the answer is a resounding ‘no’.

Just thought i would stir it up a bit Micky πŸ™‚ Though at the moment I don’t share your optimism., but will wait.

It will be interesting to see how much Jack features in the Emirates Cup.

That’s my whole point,chas.

Ah, so sugar daddy it is then.

111. Gooner In Exile says:

Sugar Daddy or The Championship? I’ll take the Championship.

I know some will say that Kroenke is a Sugar Daddy, I disagree he is the same as our previous owners, although probably looking to secure a bit more profit however he can extract it….ticketing/Internet TV rights etc

We have a New Post ……………………………

113. Red Arse says:

GIE,

You cannot get BT Sports thru Sky.

For me, I contacted the BT Sports number, and for Β£12 + Β£3 for HD (a must have for me) they took my sky TV card number and ‘enabled’ the channel.

I do not have broadband thru’ Sky or BT, and I do not want them.

Easy peasey! πŸ™‚