Arsenal Provide The Dummies ….. The Supporters Spit Them Out

I confidently predict that after another summer transfer silly season, Arsenal will not have signed any players categorized as world or top class. This would involve paying in excess of £35m and a weekly wage of £150k+.

You will deduce from this that I do not expect us to be signing Suarez and what follows is based on that premise. Even if you think Suarez will be an Arsenal player by the end of the window, the points I wish to make are relevant up to the present time. If I am wrong I will happily eat a large slice of humble pie

You could read back through the things Ivan Gazidis has said regarding our spending power and argue that his words have been misinterpreted. He’s said we have the money. He’s said what we ‘can’ do, but that is quite different to what we are prepared to do. Certainly IG and AW have both stated at different times that we ‘could’ buy players like Rooney or Suarez if we choose to.

Did we ever intend to spend the mythical £70m warchest?

I know what Mr Wenger would say, he’d say, if players of the right quality are available, we will try to buy them – and who can argue with that as a general statement?

I can sense indignant blogger’s fingers itching on their keyboards to type the following:

We cannot compete in the transfer market with clubs who have billionaire owners who throw money at their clubs – and I agree

We operate within a stable self-sustaining financial model and that is the best path for the club – and I agree

We have amazing young talent coming through and we don’t need any big signings – I only agree in part.

We do not know who or what part of the administration of Arsenal really decides how much we are prepared to spend. Kroenke says the Board run the club, others contend that Arsene Wenger controls just about everything and some (kelsey included), suspect Kroenke himself is happy to see his investment grow and has very little interest in the football side of the business.

You can make your own mind up about that one, but what concerns me is that a part, or maybe all of the administration have decided to send out a message that has misled supporters into an unrealistic expectation of the type of player we might be signing this summer –  and not for the first time.

I’m not talking about 98% of stories which are fabrication and exaggeration manufactured by the redtops and gutter media, I’m talking about the 2% which are direct quotes from senior members of staff.

The overall effect of this strategy is to create a divide between supporters, and Arsenal are pilloried by the media.

The game of bluff and counter bluff that surrounds transfer dealings is notorious. Most agents manipulate the media, players and clubs with the sole aim of feathering their own nests. Clubs are forced to join in the circus and deliver misinformation as part of the process of getting their man, or getting the best price for their wantaway player.

I accept all this, but Arsenal seem to take it a step too far.

Our reputation for procrastinating on deals, missing out on players for the sake of a couple of million, being unprepared to pay wages at the going rate etc. etc. may be fueled by the media – but who can deny it has an element of truth? Past events support those accusations.

We are perceived as a bit of a joke. We are the relatively wealthy club who says it has the money but actually never wants to spend it.

I get furious when I hear supporters of other teams say “we can’t compete with the rich clubs like United, Chelsea and Arsenal” In terms of our balance of spending on players, we are near the bottom of the league table.

We have an excellent manager who has turned water into wine many times, but it would appear we have lost our advantage in the scouting network and it is possible that the reputation we have earned is now working against us and we’ve become a less desirable destination in the eyes of some players.

So why do we persist in feeding the media with the ammunition to ridicule us by posturing and pretending to be something we are not?

AW said when asked about Wayne Rooney  “We would not have a problem with the wages of Rooney” … that is just not true. Yes we could afford it, but he’s on £250k a week at present,  the administration would not sanction such a wage.

All I would ask is  that Arsenal stop trying to give the impression we are something we are not because events inevitably disprove this view and it simply makes us look a bit lame.

We have immense integrity as a club, so why damage that by pointless posturing in the transfer market?

Nothing will change in our approach to spending on players whilst the current administration is in control. Some new younger ‘footballing blood’ on the Board would be a good start, but it appears it is a closed shop for the old school.

We are the architects of our own reputation. The longer we persist with this ‘we could if we wanted to’ position, and subsequently fail to deliver, the more  disillusioned some supporters will become.

It is ironic that at a time when the squad seems more united than for many years, the chasm between supporters grows ever wider and for this the club has to accept some responsibility.

Written by Rasp

238 Responses to Arsenal Provide The Dummies ….. The Supporters Spit Them Out

1. Red Arse says:

GIE,

[as it is an ‘administrative’ matter I have copied my earlier comment, in case you did not see it. ]

GIE,

You cannot get BT Sports thru Sky.

For me, I contacted the BT Sports number, and for £12 + £3 for HD (a must have for me) they simply took my sky TV card number and ‘enabled’ the channel.

I do not have broadband thru’ Sky or BT, and I do not want them.

Easy peasey! 🙂

2. Morning all – a few home truths being brought out there Raspers and most of which I agree with.

I know this may upset the Wenger loyalists but I suspect the man has lost his nerve a bit when it comes to spending “big” – the reasons for which I don’t know.

Some may point to stubbornness on Wenger’s behalf to wanting to do things his way and not buy in talent.

I don’t know the answer as to why there appears a reluctance to invest in the squad but what I do know is, as Raspers said, the fanbase is getting more and more fragmented day by day.

3. Red Arse says:

Rasper,

What an absolutely splendid Post, beautifully reasoned, balanced and reflectively mature, without being didactic.
    It will focus attention on to the important affect perceptions, rightly or wrongly, can have on fans gagging for ‘good’ news while fearing the worst.

Among the top Posts I have read anywhere for a long time! 😀

4. Breaking news…….Rooney signs for new club……

5. …that’s Adam Rooney signing for Oldham Athletic. 🙂

6. Red Arse says:

Hi CharyB, 🙂

Your contention that Wenger has lost his nerve when confronted with buying ‘big’ is a view expressed by any number of fans, and who knows it may be right, but you can have only arrived at that conclusion by observation, influenced by the media, and not from ‘concrete’ facts.

In a way, you represent the reality of the situation — the ‘facts’ do not matter when it comes to passionately supporting your team, as it is how normal facts react when struggling in in the dark to understand what is going on, and, as Rasper writes, it is not helped by dissemination of ambiguous comments from Gazidis and others.

Perception. That is Arsenal’s problem.

7. dazza43 says:

Quite simply if we want to challenge for honours we have to pay inflated prices for top talent as we are seen as a long shot for silver ware at this time .The way we operate is the right way but to push on and be taken seriously we have to dig deeper than we want to ,to catch up its as simple as that

Morning dazza, I think you’re point is valid. If we carry on as we are, we are simply targeting finishing above the likes of totnum and pool and securing 4th place and maybe 3rd if one of the top 3 has an off season. If we want to target those above us and challenge for the title we have to spend more money.

9. Hello Redders – hindsight will prove my perception as either spot on or total bollix.

But then that is the fate of Arsenal fans trying to make sense of the chaos from the outside looking in, noses pressed up against the glass.

Sigh. 😦

10. Red Arse says:

CharyB,

Rasp mentions a comment from Kelsey that paraphrased holds that Kroenke is not interested in spending, but is content to watch his investment grow.

I suspect you may agree with me, that any businessman investing North of £700m would not be content to passively allow events to take their own course, and not attempt to see that investment grow exponentially, if at all possible, and the way to see that happen, as with Manure, is to win trophies regularly, draw in new fans, which will, in turn, generate greater sponsorship etc, which would boost the club’s value, and that will only happen with money being set aside (ring fenced) for new players to achieve the desired result.

Kelsey is not alone in his view, but it does not make sense for Kroenke to starve investment in the team, or to allow AW to ‘run scared’ of buying big, and that is why I cannot believe either is the case, or if it is, is in any way sustainable. 🙂

11. gunnerpete says:

Totally agree that we are played for idiots by AFC board every season and we fall for it. Mainly because we are desperate to believe that our great club will one day actually agree with the fans and add the 3 quality players needed for success. We all sit there in June waiting for the first day of the new transfer window expecting that this year it will be different…..it never is and here we are with only another ‘free’ from France to boast about. We still have great holes in defence. We still have no power tackler in MF. We still have no natural goalscorer up front. A few kids will come through and will be cast as the new ‘Viera’ / Cesc / RVP, but we will all know the truth. We will all get behind our teams but with the sinking feeling that we have been conned…again! Worst of all the anti brigade will look as though they were right all along. So…..expect a couple of very late signings that Arsene will claim he wanted in the beginning and a propaganda campaign to follow that will try to convince us that there is £100 mill available for January.

12. Gabriel says:

Has the club lost their sense of reasoning? Why must we be fooled by the club we surpport? Why must they lie to us? Pls sting wenger you must give us suraez and fellani at any amount we don’t care

13. Redders, it does seem like Kroenke is a low-risk investor and doesn’t want to invest the necessary funds to take us into the top 3.

The fear is also there that as the club becomes more cash rich it is being primed up for sale, like a turkey being fattened, so the selling parties can make a big fat profit.

It doesn’t make sense for the squad to be under invested and before everyone says there is still over a month of the window left why were we told we were aiming to do our business early ?

It seems to me that to get into the top three we have to out spend Chelsea and Man City.

I am curious as to whether anyone disagrees with this?

So when assessing Kroenke’s stance we must ask whether we expect him to do this or not; and my answer always comes up not and that, in a nut shell, is why I continue with my pro board stance because it seems totally unreasonable to expect him to do so.

One owner runs a club like a sensible business and the other two run their clubs like play things.

Great post Rasp

Although I am sure you will not be surprised to hear me say that I can deny that there is an element of truth — it is a total media invention or worse, it is a creation by Arsenal blogs who need hits to sell advertising.

16. LB – therein lies the crux of the matter – AFC a business, the others are run as glory vehicles for the owners.

Seems we can’t compete.

17. Gooner In Exile says:

From the heart Rasp…..well played.

Yes there is an element of frustration when Gazidis makes comments as he has done, I think we could be in for another bunch of late arrivals when we secure CL football proper as we experienced in 11/12, the risk of increasing costs without guaranteed revenues may be too much for the board. I know many will argue that we already have TV money and new commercial deals, but we also have already increased wage bill with the contract extensions given to the British talent, Koscielny etc. And we all know the truth is we have been scraping breakeven over the last few years, and that has come from selling talent (admittedly we haven’t seen 2012/13 figures yet).

We were quicker to spend last summer with CL football already secured, so I guess if possible the Board will be waiting.

18. Gooner In Exile says:

RA thanks for heads up on Sky/BT I’ll get to it.

RA, I diodn’t exactly say that. This is what I wrote earlier.;)

If you have time read post by yogi on A Cultured Left Foot ,and he expresses severe doubts about, AW, the strength of squad , how the game has changed since we last one a trophy and if Wenger really can cope with this huge upsurge of cash being thrown into the top three clubs. he even suggests Dein would be lost today as football is now more and more a business and for the majority of clubs it is to keep above water and that though no doubt it a remarkable achievement to secure top 4 for so many years on a very restricted budget it will get tougher season after season to bridge the gap to the 3 money clubs.
    Kroenke is only interested in profit for the club as a whole and I can’t see a real huge impact of money being invested on the pitch.

We have definitely released a lot of overheads and I guess Bedtner and Chamakh will find new homes and also come off the wage bill but IMO we cannot challenge without strength in depth.
    I appreciate deals are far more complex than only a few years back and though many payers obviously want to win trophies the liure of ridiculoous wages is the main reason they leave us or won’t join.

I know many won’t agree with me but we are a great club,steeped in tradition but we are now second tier and if Wenger does leave in a year or two will much change if Kroenke is still at the helm.

We have a fairly settled squad and should have added 2 or 3 by now.It’s not too late but the bedding in time is nearly always a factor.

I have argued since the day that Abramovich took over Chelsea that we can’t compete in the way we had before.

And that is also why I fall firmly into the category of Loyalist as I continue to believe that Wenger helps the club punch above its weight.

21. GiE – I’m sure I read somewhere that Gazidis said that deals were not dependant on CL qualification being secured, i.e. getting through the pre-qualifiers this month.

Kelsey – agreed, we are second tier now and must get used to it.

PS – Sp**s signing of Soldado confirmed now.

I certainly agree that the divide between Arsenal supporters is getting wider and wider.

I find it very disheartening sometimes.

I do however think the two groups can be categorised:

It wouldn’t surprise me if Gazidis said that, if he said the opposite we would all be screaming for his head.

Thanks GiE and LB, my fear is that we won’t spend enough to make us the best of the rest. What we could do is to spend some of the money at our disposal and buy one or two quality players and see where that gets us. At the moment we are no stronger than last year while those around us are recruiting.

25. Red Arse says:

The meaning of the term ‘second tier’ club has not been defined, but however it is, I do not accept that Arsenal are second tier.

It could be argued that, in fact, we are in the vanguard of the few remaining traditional or ‘proper’ football clubs.

We rely on our own business generated funds to operate very successfully in the circumstances, which is in contrast to the partly tax payer funded clubs like Real Madrid and Barcelona, or the state funded Citeh and PSG, or the Oligarch funded clubs like Chelsea and many Eastern European clubs.

Undoubtedly there is a choice to be made between supporting a club who buys trophies from externally funded sources, or Arsenal who will obviously struggle to match them financially but will never be totally ‘out of it’.

No world transfer breaking purchases? So what?

Give me Arsenal – any day!

26. bentern says:

Well written sir! At least this window we have been linked with some star players. We won’t sign any, but at least I wont get my hopes up for another Gervinho…… sigh…..

LB said

“Those who go to the games, in general, don’t moan and those who don’t go do moan, its as if they are looking for a reason to justify their absence.”

Are you serious !!!!!!!!!!!

28. Gooner In Exile says:

LB:

“The funny this is that before I started blogging about Arsenal I didn’t even know there was such a thing as moaning about the club – everyone I knew just supported.

I find it very disheartening sometimes.”

Very true, I also don’t remember worrying about the Board, Profits…..or dare I say it Trophies. Football was as much about the day out as it was about the result. Support was and still is for many if us unconditional.

The negative mindset around the club is very difficult to shift….take for example ticket prices, many have moaned about the cost of taking their kids….where is the future generation….blah blah blah.

For Cat B and C games the club have released a Young Guns block for £10 a ticket. The club have also created an Upoer Tier Family Enclosure so that when kids tickets in Lower Tier sell out there are still reduced priced tickets available. Where are the critics now?

Hi GiE, I share your frustration over the dissemination of disinformation – but the blogs can also put the record straight …. as you have just done 😛

Redders, ‘second tier’ has the same negative overtones as ‘deadwood’, that’s why I’m happy with the ‘best of the rest’ in the hope that we can elevate that to a ‘contender’ 😆

31. TERRY MANCINIS SYRUP says:

Very good post Rasp

I agree things can be frustrating, but i am with LB, and trust Wenger to get it right.

I also agree with Redders, Arsenals problem is indeed perception.

For a club like Arsenal, success will primarally come from within. Sure, the odd astute buy here and there is great, all clubs buy players

As for buying big names for £35 million plus, how many have Man Utd bought for such sums?, and they dont do to badly.

Buying big names is not nessecary. Buying astutely and nurtering what you have is.

Though i wouldn’t say no to Suarez and Fellani. hahaha

32. Nixon says:

It’s about time for wenger to walk on n let’s have someone else,we as supporters do not deserve this,if not we are now going to be top ten contenders!

Thanks TMHT, the main thrust of the post is that the ‘perception’ is created in some part by Arsenal itself, and I can see no productive reason why the club should behave in this way.

…… and I wasn’t suggesting we should buy a player for £35m(+) simply identifying that as the benchmark for players considered as top top quality.

Manure have bought several players for over £20m …. but then Aston Villa have also spent that amount and the totts are just about to. Cue the “look what Villa got for their money” … Darren Bent … 😆

35. Thanks for a very sobering, thought-provoking post, Rasp.
    Social media and 24 hour rolling news has created a different strand of football supporter. People used to talk face to face, now it’s all either by text, or via computer, and most of the time people have their faces stuck to a mobile phone or tablet. People were less bored and had more time to consider things because they belonged to, and were part of a community. Fans didn’t discuss finances/resources, or owners/BoD, because often they weren’t known to the general public, and were never in the news. That and the fact that back before the techno revolution, fans still felt part of the club, which I doubt is the case anymore.

Thanks WATA, as we all know, football is a reflection of society. Just try to find someone for a chat on a crowded tube train – they’ll all be living in their own isolated little worlds, plugged into an iphone or similar.

The nostalgia we attach to football is still very strong, but football will never be as it was prior to the creation of the Premier League.

I can Rasp

Its a question of identity. The last decade has seen massive changes at the club, stadium move, change of ownership and Directors etc, and of course the external enviromemt with the advent of “new” money requires new strategies and ways of thinking.

in a sense, we are finding ourselves again.

Just recently, the new commercial deals have lobbed our way a lot more money, nice yes, but it still requires some adjusting.

The legacy of the move and board upheavals is not over yet, we are still living in it, but the future is absolutely fantastic.

Everything is in place now, its just a question of finding our position and adapting to our change of circumstances.

38. dandan says:

Morning all, good to see the constants remain among the regulars, Me!! I sit with LB and GIE, except I turn the computer off at season end and will evaluate where and how we are are at the starting of the new season. For me all the rest is peeing in the wind because as the saying goes a little knowledge is a dangerous thing and that is what we have a little knowledge and a mountain of mostly ill informed conjecture.
    Depression,frustration and disillusionment all based on what is perceived to have been, rather than what is known to have been, makes for a miserable summer, especially for those supporters who find the pressure of needing success difficult to cope with during the playing season, even at the best of times.

But that’s the point TMHT, the things I am questioning do not enhance our status/image, they are having the opposite effect. We can’t keep promising one thing and delivering another – it damages our credibilty

Hi dandan, great to see your name back on the screen.

Its all very well to play the loyalty card, but I am not talking about supporters being spoilt by expectation, just questioning the club’s need to encourage that expectation unnecessarily. We have a habit on this site of blaming the supporters (the others, not ourselves 😆 ) for everything from a player losing form to the loss of games.

I dont think Wenger and Gazidis “Promised” anything Rasp. hahaha

They both implied and said we are stronger financialy and will actively look to use those resources to strengthen the squad and keep it together.

I dont feel mislead. We have signed our young players to long term contracts, dont seem to be losing any key players of note, and by all accounts inquiring after some good players.

Interesting post, Rasp, guaranteed to produce a good discussion.

I don’t feel mislead either. (we all know what Wenger and Gazidis say at the start of the transfer window is for season ticket renewals 🙂 ).
    Only a fool would believe some of the things said and especially believe the way these statements are deliberately twisted by the media for a story.
    How long have the Arsenal blogs been saying we are 2 or 3 world-class signings away from having a good team? You’d think that even the thickest would catch on that it ain’t gonna happen anytime soon.

Ok guys, so we are wise enough to filter out the ‘its obviously not true stuff’ from club officials, and we are not misled …. but others are and it does us no credit – that’s all I’m saying.

chas, you and I know all too well what its like to be sitting next to some idiot whose shouting negatives during a game, how much of that frustration has been induced by unrealistic expectation I wonder?

This is going to sound like holier than thou, but not everyone is bright enough to be able to differentiate between fact, fiction, PR and throw away remarks.

Two things we can be assured of the season starts on August 17 and ends on May 17, everything else is just time filling speculation.

Who knows what goes on behind the closed doors at the Emirate?
    Nobody except a privileged few, so all news not coming from Arsenal – is no news.

In spite of all of Arsenal’s shortcomings under AW here is his average EPL position compared to his rivals, during the same period.

Man U. 1.59
    Arsenal 2.71
    Chelsea 3.35
    Pool 4.47
    Spurs 8.59
    Man C 9.17

Why don’t we simply enjoy what Arsenal have achieved and stop trying to be sages and read between the lines?

I simply don’t get it……………Oh I forgot no trophies for years on end!

Disclaimer,
    This is not aimed at Rasp.

It reflects my ongoing disgust at the ramification’s of the anti Arsenal/AW brigade.

LB;

I agree that the apathy shown by some of our fans is concerning but listening to all of the moans coming from inside the Emirates I can’t agree that it’s mainly those outside of the ground that are the cause. In fact I feel that the attendees are a bigger cause for concern as they have disillusioned many players.

ends on May 11……………

46. Merseforever says:

Rasp,

I have to disagree with you when you say when you say it infuriates you that supporters of other clubs call us a rich club. We are. How do you think Southampton view us? What about all the clubs from France that Wenger has plundered over the years. We have the fourth largest turnover out of all football clubs. We charge an arm and a leg to our supporters and have the highest gate receipts in the league. Our wage bill is much larger than almost every other team in the league. In terms of Gross Spend I think we are 4th or 5th highest in the history of the premier league. I think supporters have the right to express their annoyance when they are charged champagne prices and the club yet again fails to secure any ‘champagne’ players.

We are the Arsenal,

I think you make several really good points, the most important being the sense of community and the fact that before the technology revolution (and in my view the rampant corporatisation of football of which Arsenal are EXTREMELY GUILTY) ‘fans still felt a part of the club.’ I think that’s why the complaints from Gooners seems a lot more vitriolic and bitter than I ever recall it being in my lifetime, and as we all know Arsenal have all gone through leaner times than this in the last 50 years. The club has changed into something they no longer recognise and while they still love it, people (or at least my sort of people haha) feel quite betrayed by Arsenal and the way the club has gone. I think that emotion gives people the license to be a lot more vicious in their criticism. It’s why I’ve seen people lambast Wenger in far stronger terms than they ever did Terry Neil.

I’ve just resigned myself to the fact that the club will once again fail to deliver in the transfer window. If they pleasantly surprise me I’ll be all the more happier for it!

The only thing that’s really upset me, and is causing me to ‘spit my dummy out’ is that Galascum are here for the Emirates cup. Again shows the distance of the board and the fans. I will never forget having 3 of their scummy ‘supporters’ point a knife at me at Copenhagen and threaten a slashing motion across their throats. All the more astounding because my then ten year old was with me. Very angry that they are coming. We should have invited a a different Turkish club. A lot my Turkish mates around Holloway support Fenerbace anyway. Why not them?

47. Gooner In Exile says:

TMHT:

“Now for my take. I am not really that bothered if we don’t buy any one. That may sound crazy but i firmly believe what is vastly more important than signings is the Clubs ability to keep its current squad together.”

PR spin 1 = players want to stay at the club because they love it

PR spin 2 = of course we can keep the current squad no one else thinks they are good enough to buy

PR spin 3 = we obviously pay the crap players too much

😀

Thanks Merse, I agree our wage bill is that of a rich club, but our net spend on transfers is that of a small club. This has been by necessity due to building the stadium. The club itself (Ivan Gazidis) has heralded this as the time when we can cut loose and spend some money.

I don’t want us to spend beyond our means, I want us to spend some money wisely on players that will improve the quality of the squad and that means we have to pay more than we have in recent years.

At no point last season did I predict that we wouldn’t make top four or the tots would finish above us, but the teams seeking to depose us from that 4th slot are strengthening so we will be indulging in a high risk strategy if we do not do the same.

49. As there seems to be some comments about who is a Wenger loyalist perhaps we could have a poll asking if the supporters think Wenger is still the man for the managers job ?

That way we could gauge what his popularity is.

PS – I’m not volunteering a post BTW, I’m too lazzzeeeeee ! 🙂

What is wrong in saying we are currently a second tier club. In the last 5 seasons or so we have finished between 16 to 30 points behind the Champions, and that is a fact.

That is nothing to do with supporting the club if one attends or not.

Wenger has changed in the last year or so. He got shot of Santos quickly and it looks like gervinho will also go and by all accounts he is trying to offload Chamakh.Bedtner will be a hard one.

Project youth to an extent was a necessity as already explained by others and it’s remarkable these last two seasons we made a CL spot.

I do agree that face to face one can have a better debate as some are better writers than others (me especially)

Raddy told me at the beginning of last season we would finish 6th.GIE said something to the effect that AW had one more year.

I truly believe we have more money at our disposal than at anytime since we moved so let’s see what happens.
    I still have my doubts of the fitness of Diaby,Gibbs,Rosicky and Wilshere and Arteta will not be able to be available for every game.

Is there anyone who really believes that we wont sign anyone before the end of the window? I do, I fully expect to have a brand new shiny toy to play with.

As long as it’s not Park’s brother

Hi LB, I’m sure we’ll make some signings, but nothing stellar! A central defender must be high on the list, it looks like we’re holding out to get Ashley Williams at a good price – they’re buying Caulker.

By the way Kelsey I never include you in the anti brigade I think that you are simply express your rational disappointment, while others attack, attack, attack.

By the way in the past 5 seasons we have finished 7,14,5,21&19 points behind the champion, never 30 my friend.

Those who castigate Kronke should remember that rumour has it that he was the one to read the riot act about lack of signings and then out of the blue appeared, Santi & Per.

The man is an extremely smart business man and he must recognize that it is the on field product that sells tickets and creates marketing opportunities.

56. GN% – totally agree with your 2nd para, which makes our squad movements this summer all the more baffling.

57. Ajala says:

8 years of lying, wasteful and fruitless season. The more we go trophiless the more the faithful and loyal fans of this inconstitence football club keep resigning as a supporter. For long emotion of many fans have been dealt with, yet the club hierachies keep living large in the toil and pain of faithful gunners. They made us look so foolish in the site of other club supporter, many times have we been embarrace by other club supporters but because of the love we have for this great team we keep on believing Wenger, yet they pay us back with hypertension, heart failure and a trophiless season to round it up. Sometimes i believe the club hierachies are vigorous communist who will rather see us suffer than happy. Wenger should resign if he feels the board don’t meet his requirement rather than disvaluing himself. One thing i believe is that if there is no drastic change to this i don’t care attitude of theirs “in Wenger they will roust” this coming season.

A great example of my concerns and frustrations.

59. Red Arse says:

Now here’s the thing.

During last season there was an occasional thread from those of us watching Arsenal play away games on TV, when, without exception, we marvelled at the intense and noisily vociferous level of passionate support given by the Gooners Away fans, and rightly so. [Stand up, Chas!] 🙂

So that set the standard of support we should all want to attain!

There are many regular bloggers on here who go to many, if not all, home games, and no one can deny they are anything but dyed in the wool, 100% true Arsenal fans.

They have sometimes been disappointed to say that, on occasion, when attending games they have been frustrated at the ‘prawn sandwich brigade, or the reluctance of some fans to sing up and cheer the team on, or have been angered by one or more people barracking the team, the club or the manager.
    I am sure all have tried to change that when theyexperience it, but one person who has been named on many occasions for his singing and support is my friend, GIE. Take a bow, big man!! 🙂

This silence or barracking has sometimes been witnessed by fans watching home games on the TV, and, what has disappointed them most, has been the failure of the home fans to ‘lift’ the team.

Occasionally, when listening to the radio, you can hear “I am x and I am an Arsenal season ticket holder, and I think Wenger/The Board/Kroenke/the team are past it/liars/a profit maker/rubbish blah, blah, blah”, and it makes me mad listening to it.

The vast majority of season ticket holders, who pay a heavy financial premium to go to support the team they love, as well as those who buy their tickets on the ‘Exchange’, revile those who behave badly, or publicly rubbish the club, the team or the manager, or who do not support the club properly.
    [Take your bow, Rasp, Peaches, GIE and all the rest of you] 🙂

On the other hand, there are regular AA bloggers who do not often get to go to games, either because they live abroad, or far off parts of the UK, or simply cannot afford the cost of a season ticket, the cost of travel, or have young families, or are well down the season ticket queue.

Among these are GN5 and DanDan, and you could not possibly get more committed or passionate supporters than these, whose personal Arsenal history goes a long way back and bears comparison with any.

And last but not least, who can forget the Asian fan who ran for miles, in stupefying heat, to keep up with the team coach so he could get to see his heroes.
    What are his chances of getting to the Emirates in his lifetime?
    Probably zero — but who can doubt his passion?

Good supporters, indeed great supporters, come in every category, and we need to stand united as Gooners, and not let inter-factional divisiveness give succour to our competitors.

Gooners — Together we stand – Divided we fall! 🙂

60. Red Arse says:

Kelsey,

You know very well that you are entitled to your opinion and that if you think Arsenal are a second tier club, so be it.

Neither is there anything wrong in someone (me) saying I do not agree with you.

CharyB,

We do not need another vote about Wenger.

GN5’s Poll showed that he was seen as far and away the best manager the club has had, and by a large majority of those who voted.

61. Ah Redders, I didn’t realise there had already been a “Should Wenger go?” vote.

Thanks for the clip chas, that is just one of the reasons why I don’t think we’ll sign Suarez.

63. Red Arse says:

CharyB,

Neither did you use those words in the comment I was responding to.

RA

I mean to say we are in the second tier of the PL purely for reasons we all know, not a second tier club,there is a huge difference.
    You know my letter writing is crap 🙂

65. Redders, this is what I said: “perhaps we could have a poll asking if the supporters think Wenger is still the man for the managers job ?” – yeah, not quite the same as I what I thought you meant and not the same as my 3.09.

Po-tay-tos, po-tar-tos 🙂

66. Red Arse says:

Rasp,

I made the point yesterday, or perhaps on Tuesday, that if Suarez did not make his desire to leave Liverpool ‘official’, like Bale seems to have done, it is likely ‘Pool won’t budge.

The minimum he would need to do is to make a verbal statement to the ‘Pool management, so that he will be blamed by the Scousers and not the owners for selling him.

Regardless, Liverpool will almost certainly want a written transfer request from Suarez so that he will not be entitled to any contractual termination payment from them. (makes the transfer even better financially for ‘Pool, of course).

I doubt either will happen, now.

67. Red Arse says:

Kelsey,

OK. 🙂

I did say earlier that ‘second tier’ needed to be defined, and I now understand what you were saying.

CharyB,

OK to you too. 🙂

I do not really mind whether or not there is another Poll, but if you want one ………………………………..

That’s another 2 reasons Redders 😆

The question should be, if we’re looking for a striker, who is left on our list?

Would we rather have a medium range striker or a top drawer DM like Fellaini?. Are we getting another keeper after selling Manone? Is Fabianski only still with us because we’ve had no offers? Are we replacing Djourou with another CB? ….. questions, questions, questions 😕

69. Bryan says:

I have always believed that Wenger has had his hands tied & not been allowed to spend money because of the tight fisted board, if however it is Wenger that won’t spend the money & the board are telling him to, then sadly I believe Wenger must go if we ever want to move to a successful era again.
    I am not convinced that is the case though but am starting to get very disillusioned with everything Arsenal do.
    Every transfer we ever make is a long dragged out process & we seem to sell our best players cheaper than we should, so what is going on.
    I can’t believe we are at this stage before the new season starts & we haven’t even got a 10M player in, we are becoming a laughing stock & are very unlikely to win silverware again if we don’t improve the team

Sad news about Kenny Sansom, but good news that the club are trying to help him.

GN5

you are right never thity but in reverse order over the past 5 seasons we have finished 18 points,11 points,12 points,19 points, and16 points behind The Champions. I have looked it up 😉

72. Red Arse says:

If there is one thing, in particular, that I have sympathy for, is with those fans who see Arsenal appearing to drag their feet on any number of seemingly high profile transfers.

Early on we were linked with Jovetic, and all the stories, week after week, linked us in ‘combat’ with Juventus, and then perhaps with AC Milan for his signature. Then oops, he goes to Man Citeh.

Never mind, we were alternatively linked with Higuain, and day after day, week after week, it seemed it was pretty much a done deal — and then oops he is off to Napoli.

Then we were linked with a fast, tricky, midget winger called Bertrand and the deal was nearly done, and would be finalised after some championship or other.
    Well that one was nipped in the bud by Wenger who said “that is not true!”

Now we are linked with Suarez, altho’ the only noises about it are coming out of ‘Pool.

My own system, at this time of year, is not to shut myself away from all the tidbits of info, but to treat them all as ‘interesting, but probably bollix’.

You see, we do not know there ever was any truth in the rumours, and still do not know. Anyone suspending their natural suspicions about newspaper and radio ‘stories’ can and will be disappointed when one by one those there apples fall to the ground.

At least Arsene broke cover in the Bertrand story and denied it, even tho’ there were those who said that it was just another AW ploy – he cannot win — and he also early in the year, after weeks of newspaper inspired ruours, denied that Arsenal had ever made a bid for the Crystal Palace winger Zaha.

Just straws in the wind, but it does show there is an awful lot of excrement shovelled around during transfer windows. 🙂

DON’T BELIEVE 99% OF WHAT YOU HEAR OR READ!!

Excellent Post Rasp
    I agree with almost all of it – except that I still expect us to sign one or more significant players before the end of the window. By ‘significant’ I do not necessarily mean “over 35 million” – I mean players who are fully established and would greatly strengthen the team/squad. (Let’s remember, Cesc and BSR both went for 25 mill).

And if that does indeed happen, Gazidis and Wenger will be proven to have been telling the truth and not just indulging in mind games and spin.

Obviously there are some sections of the fan base who will never be satisfied unless we sign Messi or Ranaldo, but most will be placated by a couple of highly rated players.

Meanwhile, as you point out, the Spuds are strengthening. With Soldado joining them they could be a real threat next year – IF monkey boy stays.

But if they are buying Soldado because they expect to be cash rich from selling the ape, then I don’t see them being any stronger than last season – a season in which Bale single-handedly earned them over 20 points.

I should add, I was confident we would sign ‘big’ last summer and was proved wrong to some extent (although I’m very happy with Santi, Pod and Ollie).

So if you’re a betting type, you’d be better off putting your money on Rasp’s anticipated version of events rather than mine 😦

Thanks Rocky, do you have any inkling who those one or two significant players might be – would Ashley Williams be one of them?

😆 Rocky, I don’t really have an anticipated version except to say I don’t think we’ll sign Suarez.

I’m hoping we bring in a quality CB, personally I’d like a new first choice keeper for Sz to understudy but I doubt that will happen.

I’d definitely settle for a midfield enforcer if he were of Fellaini’s quality and as for strikers…….. I haven’t got a scooby

Kelsey,

I checked the Premier League site and your 4:05pm is correct.

Higuain playing in front of Cazorla was my dream for a short few weeks …aaaahhhhhh if only 😦

For the first time in a donkey’s age I will not see tomorrow’s game. It’s not being televised in Canada and my back up of Arsenal.com is not even showing a replay. I can most likely pick up a stream but I’m a tad risk adverse when it comes to streams.

However being the nut that I am I’ll listen to it live on Arsenal.com

There you go Rasp getting yourself all worked up by the rumour mill.(lol)

Henceforth you shall be known as NutterN5 😛

Higuain was more than a rumour NN5, but I am on the cool down side of my summer transfer fever now and my expectations diminish each passing day 😕

Hmmm…
    AW’s newly reported comments do nothing to undermine Rasp’s view of things…

“We are still working on improving our squad, but we have a base of young players who get a chance here, who started in the Premier League, like Szczesny, Jenkinson, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Wilshere, Ramsey, Walcott – that is unique, nobody else has done that.

“They will be better next year and that is why I am confident we will be stronger next season.”

Rasp
    I’m Gn5 on the Higuain issue.
    No-one at the club ever breathed a word about Higuain – it was all in the media…

85. Mr Rock, I don’t see why our squad should be all about giving younger players a chance – we should be looking to have the strongest first XI possible regardless of the age of the players, we’re not a football academy and should stop acting like one.

Well the media must have recruited his dad 😕 . I really hope AW writes that book one day … we’ll know for sure 🙂

I read the AW quotes earlier and was hoping someone would mention them …… all I can say is, I hope that the emerging young talent emerges bloody quickly and we somehow avoid injuries to key personnel. We cannot countenance fighting for 4 trophies with such a thin squad.

Maybe our youth will emulate the Man U group of 1992, everybody scoffed at Ferguson. I can see them as the core of the England side for many years to come.

I guess I’m also a nut for being the eternal optimist, but I prefer to be positive than negative. I’ve witnessed negative thinkers getting driven to the depths of despair – why even risk that scenario – it’s certainly not for me.

As a mogul of business GN5, you must have come across the adage … “You don’t plan to fail, but you can fail to plan”

89. goonerjake says:

Great post.. I think its the media dividing our fans. I wish to give a bit of advice to all if you dont mind. Do not believe any comments made by anyone about signings until they are ANNOUNCED by the club. Speculation coming from the media even the arsenal media where John Cross stated we will buy big names should in no way be believed or hoped for. Even IG saying we can afford to buy big and we can afford big wages was in no way saying we were going to do it.

ps. a cynic may say comments like IG’s were only made to sell season tickets – but thats another mater

Rasp this may not work but I had this sign up in my office,
    …………………………………………………………………………….THINK AHEA
    D

Rasp re tour 4:40.

If it was my son being talked about in the press, I would tell them whatever story I felt would enhance his chances.

Rasp
    I don’t doubt that Higuain’s Dad really did make some comments about Arsenal. I don’t particularly believe that those comments were based on the truth.

I see the Aussies are putting up a fight, for a change.

Iim sorry guys but I think you’re blinkered, the Telegraph football correspondent has just said on the radio that we were very close to signing Higuain before we went on your and he is in a much better connected position than we are, we were interested in Higuain

“You weren’t world class when Arsenal signed you.”

Higuain in front of Cazorla is a great dream but Suarez in front of Carzorla is better and that dream is still alive, well at least it is in my dreams any way.

Actually I still believe that this is a done deal.

Good on you LB, football is all about dreams, I hope it comes true

98. Red Arse says:

GN5,

They may not be showing the first Arsenal game tomorrow (Friday) because it is on at 5 p.m. (UK Time) on Saturday. The second game is 4 p.m on Sunday! 😀

(approx.times because you know how yacky the pre-match chat can be!)

Rasp,
    Was that Henry Winter?

Or Jeremy Wilson?

101. Red Arse says:

Oh, OK, Rockadoodledo, totally ignore my comprehensive checklist of things not to believe at 4:06.

No, no, I am not a sulky great b*stard who will sit on you at the first opportunity when we go to a game!!

102. Red Arse says:

It was Mary Quite Contrary, Chas! 🙂

You know what a sucker Rasp is for a prettily turned ankle!

How does your lady garden grow?

104. Red Arse says:

Bayern Munich v Citeh is the opening match on the new BT channel at 7 p.m.

Damn! I am becoming a sad pillock tied to football games everywhere! 🙂

Rasp,

Thanks Rasp – I have to give my head a shake, but I knew it was Saturday, I just noticed that Arsenal.com are showing the game on Sunday morning.

106. Red Arse says:

Furry! And yours? 🙂

It wasn’t Henry winter chas, I can’t remember his name. I am really quite shocked that so many regulars refuse to believe we wanted Higuain.

Remember this day because I’m sure it will be acknowledged at some point and then some may have to question their own objectivity

108. Red Arse says:

No, GN5, ’twas I, RA, as I live and breathe, I broke the news of the game info. Urrgh, aaagh, can’t breathe —– don’t doooooo ittttt ………………… ………………………

Chas, Henry Winter just jumped to the top of my “not to read” list.

I didn’t question whether we wanted Higuain, by the way, but just the inside knowledge and integrity of the Telegraph journalists. 🙂

Yes it was RA – wow I really do need to give my head a shake!!

112. evonne says:

tragic news about Kenny Sansom

113. Red Arse says:

Rasp,

Despite my earlier protestations to the contrary, I happen to know a man who knows Mrs Higuain, who has won a media job in London, I firmly said he would be joining us so he could continue having hankish pankish with his beautiful Mrs.

[See my earlier massive missive, above on this subject — ore ignore me like Rockin’ and GN5 do!! 🙂

chas,

Are they supposed to show knowledge and integrity? I thought they were job ending quality’s for sports journalists.

As Micky first pointed out and GIE plagiarised ( 🙂 ) striker movement this summer was always going to be triggered by Cavani.
    Once he was sold Napoli became a ‘player’, just as Liverpool could virtually choose anyone after selling Torres for £50 mill. Hahahahahaha.

116. AKB's says:

Wenger has had a hard time of late, the Emirates Stadium has financially crippled Arsenal and the Oligarch’s have made it impossible for Wenger to compete. Ten years from now Wenger will prove all his critics wrong by once again lifting the Premier League Title.

117. Red Arse says:

Chas, you handsome devil, I returned to the BT channel, and they are claiming Wiziwig are lying barstewards.

Following the ‘Pool v Olympiakos game their is an interlude, and the next game is the Arsenal v Napoli game, with pre-match buildup statring at 4:50 p.m. [start of the game? Dunno — see above caveat, but finishing at 7 p.m.]

Following Napoli v Porto, the next Arsenal game (build up) starts at 3:50 p.m finishing at 7 p.m.

But you watch the 7:30 p.m. game if you want — and I will ruin it by telling you the score!!! 😀

118. evonne says:

Rasp – thanks for the post, very well presented argument. I only have one problem with it – the timing. If you were to say all of these things after 3rd September, I’d give you a standing ovation.

At present, I am not sure what you are so unhappy about. There is still more than 30 days left and I believe they will buy at least one big player. Why? Because this year they have actually admitted that we have money. There was no more talk about new stadium, in fact no excuses, just intention to strengthen the squad.

Let’s wait and see before the toys leave the pram, shall we?

119. Red Arse says:

That is such a sensible, altho’ ironic, comment, it makes you sound almost normal.

Why don’t you give being normal a try — you will find it rewarding, even if your comments are not universally agreed with?

Bloggers on here will give you a chance to put your case.

120. Red Arse says:

See what I mean, Chas? 😀

I might not sit on you now, when we meet at the Tavern, as you obviously have an eye for beauty!! 🙂

RA 🙂

C’mon , ‘almost normal’, talk to us.

123. Red Arse says:

Oh, you are talking about the Bayern v Citeh game Chas.

The ‘programme’ with pre-match starts at 7 p.m. on BT, but thank you for sparing me having to watch that bit. 😀

I thought you were referring to the Arsenal games. I am not used to anyone talking to me! 🙂

124. Red Arse says:

You are a favorite of mine Chas, because you have a sharp mind and an acuity that is as good as any to be found in the blogosphere!! 😀

I’m sure you’ve seen this before, RA, but it it has been carefully chosen from my list of favourite vids just for you.

126. Red Arse says:

OK, Evonne, but the Rasper will accept a sitting ovation from someone with your undoubted perspicacity!! 😀

[BTW, I have said ‘sod it’ to my medical regimen, and had a couple of beers, so anything I say is probably bollix] Sorry! 🙂

127. Red Arse says:

Chas, that was stunning, and I am still laughing at the “Hitler had only …” included within a stunning piano concerto.

My greatest regret and my greatest pleasure is being introduced to ‘Dud and Pete’ after they were dead, by your goodself.

Thank you — my belly is still wobbling with laughter!! 😀

They were not known in the US, as far as I know — what a waste!!

128. neamman says:

well done St Johnstone

129. Red Arse says:

Rasp will see this as confirmation of his worst fears! 🙂

“Arsene Wenger has revealed Arsenal are still working on improving their squad but insists his side can challenge for the Premier League title regardless of making any new additions.

The only signing Arsenal have made this summer is Yaya Sanogo, a France Under-20 international striker brought in on a free.

While the club have made efforts to break their transfer record, bids for both Gonzalo Higuain and Luis Suarez have been turned down.

Higuain opted to join Napoli after Wenger refused to meet Real Madrid’s asking price of £34.5 million, while Arsenal bid £40,000,001 for Suarez last week in a bid to activate a release clause that allowed them to talk to the player.

Sadly, Arsene, Arsenal fans have heard it all before. If Arsenal do not make a major signing then the supporters will be right to think that the club have been stringing them along all summer. While Wenger is right in suggesting some of his younger players will be better this season, the argument that his current squad will be able to aim any higher than fourth place will worry the Emirates faithful.

Chief executive Ivan Gazidis made reference to Arsenal’s “financial firepower” at the end of last season. However nothing has materialised of rumoured interest in Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney, Everton midfielder Marouane Fellaini, Brazil goalkeeper Julio Cesar and Swansea defender Ashley Williams.

Wenger has urged Arsenal supporters to stay calm, reassuring them that every effort is being made to add more quality to a squad that narrowly finished fourth last season. However if no new faces arrive, the Frenchman is confident his side will still be stronger.

Speaking during the Emirates Google+ Hangout, Wenger said: “We are still working on improving our squad, but we have a base of young players who get a chance here, who started in the Premier League, like [Wojciech] Szczesny, [Carl] Jenkinson, [Alex Oxlade-] Chamberlain, [Jack] Wilshere, [Aaron] Ramsey, [Theo] Walcott – that is unique, nobody else has done that.

“These players can have a special bond and they are on the way upwards, they are not over the hill. They will be better next year and that is why I am confident we will be stronger next season.

“We had a fantastic end to the season, because we won eight of the last ten [league] games.

“We have had a good pre-season and for the first time in recent seasons we have not lost [sold] any player.

“Our target now is to transfer that confidence into the start of the new season and it is vital for us to have a good start.”

Well, that is ambiguous enough to make everyone ‘happy’. 🙂

130. Gooner In Exile says:

“These players can have a special bond and they are on the way upwards, they are not over the hill.”

Wonder what over the hill age is to Arsene? Once bitten twice shy on Arshavin age range? Or just a comment on Soldado?

evonne@ 6:28, I would not write this on the 3rd of September as we’d be into the season and I would feel obligated to give the club unconditional support. Also I would have the gift of hindsight, I feel the timing is about right because nothing is decided and the club still has the chance to live up to the promises of its Chief Executive.

I wrote this post a week ago, it just so happens that some of the points I have made have featured prominently in the media today. Listening to the phone-ins it is apparent that an ever growing section of the fan base is getting frustrated at our lack of activity. The reported words of the manager do nothing to allay their fears.

133. VCC says:

Nice post Rasp….as said by shed loads of Gooners….it’s the same old, same old Wenger.

134. Shard says:

Haha. Rasp. If the manager allays fears aren’t you going to accuse him of creating false expectations 😀

I genuinely believe that the comments and general tone from Arsenal since they announced the Emirates deal, has been a sea change. People bring up false promises, or being misled, but that is their own fault. The club have never before sent out the same message that they have since last year. If the message has been misread, it is the supporters’ (and media’s) fault. Not Arsenal’s.

What are they supposed to say? No we don’t expect to challenge for the title because of out finances? What message would that send out to our own players, to other clubs, and to the fans who crib about being lied to now? Do you think the last would appreciate the honesty? No.They’d decry the ‘lack of ambition’ (as if every club builds a new stadium on the basis of their own finances)

BUt, I would be disappointed if we didn’t significantly strengthen our squad by the end of the transfer window. The club, this season, has sent out a message that they can compete. I fully appreciate the difficulties in this, but I think we should be able to find the players that will improve us.

I also feel we are waiting to make out marquee signing so we can decide on our other targets accordingly. We’ll see if it happens, but I cannot believe that Arsenal are somehow looking to rip off the fans by promising the moon and not delivering, For one, they haven’t done it. And also, it would be stupid to do so.

135. Hi Merseforever, sorry for the late response, I concur fully with what you say. The complete disregard for the original club crest, switching the cannon the wrong way round and they’ve done away with the Latin motto “Victoria Concordia Crescit” or Victory Through Harmony. There is no discernable link to the club that left Highbury, and you get a different class of ‘fan’ at The Emirates nowadays, a prawn sandwich brigade who embrace the sanitised American
    Corporation that is turning most real football fans away. They show up hoping Arsenal will win, but will gladly accept the odd slip-up as long as lord and master of ceremonies leads them to the promised land of fourth so we can bank even more CL money. We’ve been in this loop for six years with no sign of progress, and some people are absolutely delighted. These days it’s hard to determine which is more important to the clubs hierarchy, making money, or building a successful football club that every Arsenal fan can identify and re-connect with.

Hi Shard, Im afraid I can’t agree. IG said that we were to be active in the transfer market, that we would try to get our business done early and that we had £70m to spend and this heralded a new approach to our summer business …. so far none of those have come true.

On the subject of it being the supporters fault because they have misunderstood what the club has said – it is the duty of the club to deliver a clear message that cannot be misinterpreted. The official club statements are not the problem, it is what individuals representing the club have said that has led to unrealistic expectation. It would indeed in many cases be better to say nothing.

138. VCC says:

Rasp…Ivan Gazidis speaks with a forked tongue.

139. Gooner In Exile says:

“and they’ve done away with the Latin motto “Victoria Concordia Crescit” or Victory Through Harmony.”

Oh the irony is killing me!

140. Gooner In Exile says:

This is what Gazidis said:

‘This year we are beginning to see something we have been planning for some time, which is the escalation in our financial firepower,’ said Gazidis.

‘I’m talking about an extra £70million of additional, high-margin revenue which we will be able to use.”

So just to be sure everyone can understand that. He is talking about £70m high margin revenue, so that doesn’t mean £70m is available.

The profit (margin) on the £70m is available. Not for transfer fees alone, but for wages too, and he doesn’t state whether annually or over three/four years.

141. Gooner In Exile says:

That’s the first time I bothered looking for the quoted source.

1 x £30m player
    1 x £20m player
    1 x £10m player

Wages £200k a week, £120k a week, £80k a week respectively.

£20m on wages, £15m (guess) on transfer write downs.

That’s doable, provided none of existing squad have had a payrise (new contract). Well there were a few of those last year.

This can’t really be scrutinised until we have financials for 12/13.

Lets assume we broke even (only because of BSR and Song sales). We have no major sales this summer so no windfall to prop up the club financially.

Hence £30m of the extra revenue may have been spent.

So three signings above plus replacing the selling of star players windfalls could mean that we blow our new found wealth in one season, with the revenue fixed for three seasons or more we need to hold some back.

142. So Arsenal Football Club are the very best they can be, are they?
    They’re performing at the peak of their potential, even though we can’t off-load Bendtner or Chamakh, and our highest paid player has on average one good game a month.
    Just because you’ve settled for fourth and a few CL games doesn’t mean everyone else should follow.

143. Herb glad you’re still here being so harmonious……

That badge and direction of the cannon you find so abhorrent……..it pointed east during 1925-49 your favourite Arsenal era. Before that it briefly pointed west…..and at our foundation three cannons pointed north.

Like you say its a crying shame they dropped the Victory Through Harmony (although it only appeared in 1949) because then fans like you may actually try and behave that way rather than break it down from within.

Good night Herb.

144. Just to be sure you understand……I could not give a flying fuck where we finish in the league or how many cups we win……none of that makes me feel justified in making a choice to support Arsenal, and here’s why……I didn’t choose, I love the club, 4th division or CL I’ll always think they are the best players in the world……deluded? Maybe I’d prefer to call it in harmony.

Finally my support for Arsenal is unaffected by titles, trophies and players……any piss taking from fans of rival clubs is water off a ducks arse, they don’t support Arsenal…….so obviously they are just jealous.

145. Trust an accountant to defend The Bank of Arsenal’s lack of spending. Because of the new Sky deal with the PL, it was worked out that every Premier League club could slash their ticket prices by at least 50% and still make profit. You say Arsenal froze their ticket prices, which is not slashing them, so where does that revenue go? We get CL money every year that isn’t available to 16 other clubs. Where’s that money going?
    Aston Villa have bought in seven, Sunderland nine/ten, Norwich, six, Cardiff have spent big money, Swansea have strengthened as well. All these clubs have sjgnificantly less resources than Arsenal, but what they have is the drive of dynamic management who aren’t scared to speculate and reward their loyal fans. Nothing makes more money than success.

Hahahahaha, I knew it would go tits up at some point.

Victory through Harmony. Hahahahahahaha.

Well said, GIE.

Herb,
    I think you ought to change your blogging name back to Herbsarmy.
    ‘We are the Arsenal’ could not be further from the truth.

Far far worse than Sniffer Norris.

149. neamman says:

Swansea seem to have improved

150. Merseforever says:

We are the Arsenal,

Exactly, and this mutation is why I think people have become so bitter towards the club. In times gone by, people may have grumbled but no one would have insulted someone like Wenger who has given us so much joy this way in the 80’s or earlier. Because the club is so unrecognisable…there is a thin line between love and hate, and while I still love and live for the Arsenal I can honestly say that I think that several of my close mates are pretty much at the point of hating the club now. As they say, they love the team but hate the club.

I’m not talking about ‘fair weather glory supporters’ either. Coming to mind are three blokes from a Holloway Estate who’ve been going to the Arsenal since the late 60’s. They’ve put in their time on the terraces and in fact, I know all three of them didn’t miss a single home or away league match from 1973 to 1991. Most of that period was a bit crap for the Arsenal. But if you were to hear these blokes now you would never believe they ever held any love for Arsenal at all.

I’ve ranted on here about it before but our ridiculous ticket prices are the reason why I get angry when our board pontificate about ‘the Arsenal way’ and how we are ‘well run football club.’ Even more annoying is when supporters insist on it. It’s not right, and I’m glad Arsenal are rectifying the situation a tiny bit with the Young Guns section (10 quid tickets for 12-18 year olds). Of course, the money before all else philosophy is clear to see as this section is not available for the so called Category A games. I really do feel our club is tarnished by the aim of profit seeking above all else. A football club should aim to make a profit, not maximise it.

But, I have to take the morsels the club feeds me. For this season, when I manage to get to a few away games we are once again YEEEELLLLOOOOWWWWS! It will feel good to sing that again. Reminds me of the 80’s and the football specials. As we know most of the prawn sarnie brigade at Emirates wonder why those thick working class oiks sing ‘She wore a yellow ribbon,’ shouldn’t it be a ‘red ribbon’ Julian…. (word for word a conversation I’ve heard at our home ground. Long live the modern Arsenal supporter!)

151. Merseforever says:

And if any one, having read my posts, thinks that I am one of the supporters in the ground who contributes to the poisonous atmosphere but booing and moaning and groaning I wouldn’t think that’s an outrageous inference. But I would like to say that I never stop cheering the team and yelling encouragement. I have never booed and will never boo an Arsenal XI on the pitch. I get home after every home game with a hoarse voice. I save my (quite considerable) moaning and groaning for the pub and for this site!

152. I clearly represent a very different Arsenal than the one that is currently being served up chas.
    I’m not intelligent enough to do mental battle with you about our differing perspectives on Arsenal, my only wish is if we can;t win trophies, let’s at least show some appetite and intent in competing for them. I may be blind, but I don’t see any urgency or desire at Arsenal to address this.

Herb,

This site welcomed you with open arms, and the principles have gone out of their way to accommodate your views on the site.

I have a simple question, why do you choose to abuse their hospitality?

Chas the videos of Moore and Cook were hilarious thanks for the memories and the laughs.

155. Is it wrong to want a successful football club that value quality football over the constant need to make money?
    I don’t see the same Arsenal as you, and I have no faith in the current regime, including the management. If that insults folk, I bid you goodnight.

Is it wrong to support a club that creates a stable financial base in order to guarantee a high calibre of football to current and future generations?

157. The strategy clearly isn’t working because Arsenal are not an exciting winning brand, which is turning tomorrows generation of fans away from Arsenal.
    Why are stinkingly-rich Arsenal – with Freemasons, Old Etonians connected to royalty, and Billionaires pontificating about their next billion, running the club – cast in the role of penny-pinchers? Other clubs of all sizes across the globe have no problem identifying players and bringing them in. It is a unfathomably unique problem only found at Arsenal. And yes, I’m aware MU haven’t made a major signing, but we’re in two very different places.
    Gooner In Exile mocks the suggestion of Lescott and Dzeko, trying to compare two PL winners against players who are currently likely to win nothing. With that mentality we’re doomed to failure.
    I really hope I’m wrong, but I don’t see Arsenal winning anything for a long time to come.

158. Redtruth says:

The problem with the Arsenal Anti-Wenger brigade is their willingness to be compromised for a Trophy. I don’t care if Wenger spent £100m and won a Trophy, i’d still want him out.

Bollocks!

Rasp,
    You can have said you were posting a gem, and I would have delayed manoeuvres. Unless I have missed some editing, not one overboard response, which is great.

I think, hope and pray that the only line I disagree with is this:

“Nothing will change in our approach to spending on players whilst the current administration is in control”.

Clearly everyone understands the problems of competing with City, Utd and Chelsea, but I firmly believe we must stay ahead of the rest.

A year or so ago, I posted that we cannot afford to slip out of top four. We lose corporate match day, and we are making a loss. Very simple.

Arsenal are not the Club I started supporting, who could sit mid table, debt free and 20k fans at a home game.

We are one or two more Sugar Daddy Clubs away from catastrophe (Pool, Toon or God forbid!).

We slip out of the top four for more than one season, and we will be owned by a Sugar Daddy. That or bankrupt. In my humble opinion.

So come on Stan, Ivan and AW, do your stuff. You know it makes sense 🙂

160. Red Arse says:

Good Morning people, 🙂

Where are all the cheerful ones? Evonne, Micky, Chas, GIE?

Cheerful ones? I think GiE was getting a little upset by 11:11. Either that, or he’d been on the Real Ale 🙂

Evonne is sick of the Soup, and I don’t want to know where Chas is, given that he’s not at home!

162. evonne says:

here I am , here I am 🙂 hiya RA!!

What do you guys make of this – my brother has been telling me about Borussia’s Lewandowski. He launched an open attack on his employer who pay him £25k a week, promised a huge payrise .but failed to deliver. The club responded by saying that they are reviewing the situation and will deliver on promises.

Lewandowski is the lowest paid footballer in Borussia and he is in the last year of his contract. Shall we get ready and excited?

163. Gooner In Exile says:

Look very basic Maths.

The club profit for 6m to November 2012 £15m (this excludes Prize Money as is not counted until known) before player trading we lost £28m

Doubling everything to take to the Year End (except player trading), means we would lose £56m, but will show a £14m loss. Prize money will probably take that to breakeven. (I hope it does anyway).

So lets take this current season.

We will have a £42m loss. If we have £70m of extra revenue, we have £28m to spend a year to stay at breakeven.

Also need to add for a long time our football costs have been supported by property trading as well as the selling of stars.

So that’s where it all goes.

164. evonne says:

what soup? tripe soup? I am back in UK and on a healthy diet of coffee and fags

Chas is chasing his arse, he is very good at yoga you know

165. Gooner In Exile says:

Micky how could you tell?

I thought it was funny, GIE.
    That sense of exasperation bursting through my monitor.

167. Red Arse says:

Hi GIE,

I read the comments from last night and saw how riled you were by the contradictory viewpoints. And I felt for you.

I am sure WATA is a genuine supporter who has a point of view that will not change, and never has.

Trying to explain how illogical that the arguments he and Merse put forward, along the lines that Arsenal are all about profits (what profits) and not the fans or the team, while also arguing that the club are badly run is going to prove impossible for you.

I am disappointed to be honest, that when you did try to explain you were dismissed as just ‘an accountant’ when you are first and foremost, in this respect, a devoted fan.

Best just to let it go, big man!! 🙂

168. Gooner In Exile says:

Just checked Arse.com for Villa tickets as I was given a pass yesterday.

Only tickets available:

Back Upper Tier West Stand
    Young Guns Section

Well unfortunately I’m not going to pass for under 16, and back of West is not a favoured position.

But at least it’s virtually sell out.

Not sure any will come on the Exchange.

GiE
    I was going to say your 7:59 made for sober reading 🙂

Morning

Well after reading what Micky and GIE said I believe i am right. We have very little money to spend and without selling our loss would be even greater .And we are one of the richest clubs in the world.

I know a bit about business but not football business at our club.

Sorry state of affairs IMO

What I’m really saying is that if we are punching exactly at our weight, 4th is where we should be.
    We get to play at the top table and watch the finest teams in Europe at our gaff. Tidy.
    My fear, as I said above, is that Corporate make up something very nasty like 40% of match day revenue, and the books, and our business model, could look very different if we are overtaken by one or more Sugar Daddied Clubs.
    In essence, no room for complacency.

Right now, I believe we’ll get the two players we need to ensure a top four, and I believe progressing from what we were building last season, we really could compete confidently for silverware.

172. Red Arse says:

Hi Kelsey,

So, let me get this right, Micky and GIE said something — and you believe it proves you are right?

When you watch TV programmes with competitors who answer questions correctly and win big bucks — do you say Mr x won, but I believe I was right — so give me the money! Que?? 😀

So we don’t have any money to spend now …… and that’s why we aren’t spending it!!!!!!!!! What do we do if Liverpool accept our bid for the biter then?

174. evonne says:

monster – is that you?? gross!!!!

GiE – when can you start ‘using’ George to get to the under 16 section 🙂

175. I’m with Micky ………. crucial to stay in the top four if we want the chance to compete for top players – they love playing in the Champions Lge and for the extra income.

176. evonne says:

Peaches – we buy him of course! just to please the fans

177. Red Arse says:

Sorry, Kelsey, I think GIE was merely extrapolating limited information, and trying to see what impact that might make on the year end figures.

It is not ‘proof’ of anything, and I don’t think GIE was claiming that anyway but just looking at the broad picture.

We will find out the year end figures quite soon, then all will be revealed. 🙂

178. evonne says:

Merseforever – fans from your childhood very happier because they supported the club they loved, and left the running of that club to those who knew how to run a football club. The modern age access to information is a dangerous tool in some hands. It enables some supporters to question just about everything and anything about the business. Even if themselves they know next to none about managing a huge global enterprise such as the Arsenal FC. Do you mind if I ask what have they themselves managed successfully, what are their business achievements, what interpersonal skills do they possess to judge, to criticize and to demand? And to hate??!!

PLEASE, don’t ready anything into this rant, if just my rant, my opinion with no hidden agendas, simples.

179. chas – that picture is gross yuuuuuk

180. Clearly our overheads are unmanageable, we need to start cutting our cloth accordingly …………..

181. Hi evonne – how can we buy him if we really can’t afford him?

I read accounts, the Swiss Ramble is very good at that and we have had to sell these past few years to maintain a cash flow for further transfers .

If we get one or two quality players not world class we should be able to remain in the CL

Kroenke is the problem.he has hired the wrong men in Gazidis and Laws and I still believe Wenger’s hands are tied to an extent.Furthermore it is completely out of character for us to bid 40 million for a player.

Remember all the clubs get a share of the TV rights.Also we overpayed too many players recently who were not up to the standard expected at Arsenal.
    One of kroenke’s American football franchises is now also losing money.

I will leave it at that.

Let’s not forget we finished 6 points and 3 places above the chavs in 2011/2 and only 2 points behind them last season.

The blue oilers finished 19 points above us in 2011/2 and there was only a 5 point difference last season.

There isn’t much of a gap and with two astute signings, a team growing from last season and Moyes shagging up the mancs’ prospects, the title is virtually ours already.

Terry’s underpants from the 30’s are stirring.

I tell you this if we buy no one the media will hound AW out. Did you see hs gaunt face yesterday.

“Is that you?” 😆

That’s how I cope with every transfer window.

186. kelsey – We’ve only managed to keep our heads above water because we’ve sold our best players ……….. shhhhh the accountants will try to tell us a different story but that’s what the figures show shhhhhh

Chas how many points did we get from the other 4 clubs in the top 5 last season. ? pathetic IMO

exactly peaches.What a bloody mess 🙂

189. I don’t want you all to get the wrong idea ………. I’m feeling very positive about the new season, I love the make-up of this team and think that if they carry on where they left off at the end of last season we should make a good start.

I am worried that our squad is a leeeetle thin though and while the totts have bought some good players we haven’t 😦 ………… so far ………

Agreed but we have to improve our home record and beat the big boys as well as the also rans

191. Gooner In Exile says:

Just back from trying to rouse a dead horse….pointless and I feel a bit stupid trying 🙂

RA is right it was an extrapolation of the numbers, but in context of the Gazidis £70m quote.

We can probably afford one world class given my broad stroke numbers and no player sales.

As TMHT said and Arsene himself has said approaching the season with no player departures is a good thing in context of recent seasons. What is the saying about being thankful for the small things in life.

192. evonne says:

Peaches – ‘how can we buy him if we cannot afford him’? Everybody else seem to be doing it and our own fans admire those clubs that are getting more and more into debt

193. Yes kelsey, we do need to grab points off of the other title contenders this season …………. also not to give teams a head start ………………

FFP is a joke.

No evonne, that is the wrong approach.

I am still behind AW but if he goes we will then really see if he wanted to do it his way or money was really available.

We can’t keep living in the past,even last season,we must discuss this season onwards

195. Gooner In Exile says:

Just on the “wages for players not good enough” I think this needs context.

Many of our not good enoughs would be starters lower down, as starters they could demand first team salaries at their club, lets assume £60 k a week (or QPR £100k a week), now we have to convince a player to sign for us but not to be starting every week, he hasn’t devoted his life just for money but for the glory of playing football and everything that comes with. So we have to offer a bit more.

We could of course have none of these types, and instead have some £30k a week players…..absolutely useless in the event of an injury crisis but cheap as chips when they are not needed.

What’s the solution? Either way if we are negative about the club we will find something to take issue with in either path.

196. evonne – I think Suarez will give us goals and therefore we can offload him quickly next summer without loss if he doesn’t fit in 🙂 Maybe even make a profit 😆

kelsey, in other seasons we have done well against the top teams and still finished with similar points at the end of the season.

We need to find that balance where we both finish off the bottom half teams and compete with the top 6.

Nobody leaving this summer has to be one of those small things which could turn into a big joyous thing once the season kicks off.

198. Shard says:

2006- Scraped 4th with players like Henry, Pires and Gilberto in the team, apart from a young Cesc and RVP. Reached CL final to lose to 2 errors by 2 goalkeepers, and one error by the linesman. (I didn’t expect us to win. It just didn’t feel like it was our time yet) Also reached SF of League Cup.

2007- Sold Pires, Henry basically out of the team. Finished 4th, and reached the final of the CC with kids, who nearly defeated Drogba’s Chelsea.

2008- Sold Henry, but team largely stable. Should have won the title. Robbed by referees, and by our 2nd leg break in as many years.

2009- Hleb gone. Flamini gone. Rosicky out. New rebuilding job.4th. SF of FA Cup. SF of CL.

2010- Lost Adebayor and Toure. Finished 3rd but for a while looked like we could win the league.

2011- Stable team. In a chance for all 4 competitions. Refs kept screwing us in the league. Ref screwed us in the CL with the red (and Bendtner missed his chance) ‘Fans’ such as the AST turned on the team mid-season, and the team eventually gave up on itself.

2012- Fabregas, Nasri gone. Rebuilding required. Accusations of a one man team (when earlier accusation was what Arsenal lack is a 30goal striker) Finished 3rd.

2013- Further destabilisation by said one man. But brought in good players to replace him by sharing the load (and now accusations again of lacking a 30goal striker) Finsihed 4th

2014- Stable squad. The last time we had that was going into 2007-08, and 2010-11. Both seasons we genuinely challenged. It is underestimated how much a stable squad means. Still, the critics will point to no trophies (when they claim they want us to challenge that’s all) We fell short. Due to various reasons. Some of our own doing, some not.

It’s become accepted fact that Arsenal don’t even challenge for trophies. That is simply not true. In these 8 years, we’ve had CL final and SF. League CUp Finals and SF. FA Cup SF, and been trumped in the league twice or thrice by not as big a margin as is generally thought. Those that claim that all they want is for Arsenal to challenge and are upset because we don’t aren’t really talking facts. We’ve challenged a plenty despite building the stadium and paying it off. We’ve just not gotten over the line. Also. We’ve not challenged in the transfer market, which is where this perception comes from. No one cares about the game anymore. It’s the show that everyone is dazzled by.

Do I think we should strengthen? Yes. Do I think we will? Yes. Do I think we’ll challenge next season? Yes.

199. Real Madrid and Barcelona get away with staggering their payments for players so how about a deal that’s £25m up front plus Nik and Chamakh and the remainder when we sell him to Real next summer plus a share in any profit? ………. D’you think Pool would go for that 😉

200. Good comment Shard.

201. Gooner In Exile says:

Shard – unsurprisingly brilliant!!

Peaches – staging payments has no effect on profit.

Here’s why when buying a £40m player on 4 year contract.

1) Pay all at once:
    Balance Sheet:
    Player Assets + £30m
    Cash – £40m

Net Asset Decrease £10m

Profit and Loss:
    Player amortisation – £10m

2) Pay in stages
    Player Assets + £30m
    Cash – £20m
    Creditors + £20m

Net Asset decrease £10m

Profit and Loss:
    Player amortisation – £10m

Shard, that is excellent.
    Perception is everything.
    If you view the world negatively, your life will be a negative one.

Does the word amortisation have its root in the Latin word for death?

204. We did win the league in 09/10 didn’t we ……….. they just gave the trophy to the Manks 😉

Morning all, I’m disappointed that a post I wrote being careful not to promote extreme reactions failed in that intent.

If my interpretation of what GiE is saying is correct then the point of the post is relevant and correct. Why are we announcing we have £70m to spend (supporters can be forgiven for deducing that we will therefore spend it) and bidding £40m for Suarez when the balance of our books make nonsense of such huge sums?

206. GiE – I understand staged payments don’t affect profits but they must have an implication on cash flow no?

207. Red Arse says:

Spot on, Shard. 🙂

I have rattled on about the ignoring of relevant facts such as you quote, on and off, over the years and on different blogs.

Frankly it is not deemed to be ‘sexy’, and people just like to moan, and forecast the end of the world/club — Oh Yay, oh Yay, this will all end in tears — when I were a lad it weren’t ….. blah, blah –, or they will only remember or take note of comments that reinforce their own personal agendas.

[Perhaps that is why I liked your comment — suits my non-existent agenda!] 😀

208. Morning Rasp – you forgot the smiley face after your first line above 😉

Seriously peachses though, maybe we should have a poll to see if we want to address difficult subjects or whether since we know everyone’s take on these matters and it will only attract extreme reactions from others, we should keep this site as a haven for ‘common sense’

Rasp,
    It was a great post, which prompted a popular blogging day.
    We need more, not less.

By the way, did you notice it was ‘liked’ by a Chelsea supporter!

211. Red Arse says:

Good question, Chas, on the subject of the origins of amortization.

I was just about to say, yes, it might well come from the Latin for death ‘mort’, and became a form of gradually paying off a debt, until it was extinguished.

Then I remembered I know sod all about word origins and looked up the origin of amortize, and it seems it may have come from old French — which itself had its origins in Latin — anyway, I think you are right!! 🙂

The other person that ‘liked’ it was VCC. 🙂

213. Red Arse says:

You are right, Rasp, we do need a poll to ask the question whether we should write about ‘difficult’ topics.

I carried one out — the result is that yours was so excellent — we should carry on!! 🙂

Poll: Votes: 1 —- 100%, vote carried! 🙂

214. Rasp – we all have different views of what we think of as ‘common sense’ so it would only be a haven if everyone agrees with each other and we know that’s awfully boring ……….. and anyway you and I have different views on some things so how would that work 😉

I think we should continue to publish and discuss difficult subjects where necessary.

Ah, cheers, RA.
    It’s the debt that is extinguished to death.
    Every time I see the word I feel a little death at my complete lack of understanding of the term.
    When I say little death, I don’t mean la petite mort in the French sense. 🙂

Thanks chas. The general topic of our willingness to spend some money is all over the internet and we’re being discussed across the media.

I just tried to introduce the topic onto AA in a less pejorative way. If you read ANR (and believe haha) then the blame is being directed, but still no one really knows.

All we know is that as a collective, Arsenal is laying itself open to negative scrutiny

I’m not sure I’m flattered by being liked by a chav supporter chas 😆

Time for a change of topic …..

…. New post ……

219. Shard says:

Rasp

I agree with that last post. Arsenal are opening themselves up to negative reactions now if they don’t spend well in the transfer market.

I just thought of this but maybe the rumours of a boardroom rift between Wenger and the board have some truth. Not that Wenger is against spending. But that the board would like to spend to make a statement, while Wenger would like to spend to strengthen the team.

What we must also ask ourselves is why the board felt it had to open itself to the possibility of ‘negative scrutiny’ in the first place. Because there was already so much negativity surrounding them, they probably felt that the club had to combat it by giving confidence (and some hyperbole) about the club’s current financial standing. They aren’t lying. But they were posturing.

And please, I don’t necessarily believe the rumours of Wenger and the board at loggerheads. It was just conjecture on my part. Mostly used to explain how the unfair negative pressure on the club over the years COULD perhaps be impacting on what should be our real focus, ie, building the team.

220. Red Arse says:

I suspect Peaches is about to call time out, and announce a New Post, but I have to correct a misunderstanding.

Any purchases of players in this TW will come into next years accounts, and may indeed involve staggered payment schedule.
    So, there will undoubtedly be an increase in sponsorship money available next year and the years after, and it is this that the club are no doubt relying on to fund, in part, the fee for Suarez and others.

Every company uses ‘working capital to make the financial wheels turn, or even to allow a manageable accounts loss, so let’s not get too despondent about not having any money!!

We can afford to buy. 🙂

When I’m at the gym my cannon tattoo gives away the fact that I am a Gunner.
    No end of blokes ask me constantly if Wenger has spent any of that huge fortune he’s sitting on. It’s a national debate not just an Arsenal one. 🙂

222. Gooner In Exile says:

Rasp there is no nonsense in a bid of £40m it’s perfectly within our means as are the wages. It’s just to say that Gazidis said we have £70m to spend is incorrect as my quote says earlier it is the Profit from that £70m which is there to spend. So that could only be £60m. If that allows us to make 1 quality signing each summer and not have to worry about selling players on for a profit to facilitate squad building from within that is still a sea change from where we were in the last few seasons where rising wage costs meant we had to do something to stand still.

As regards the comments at the tail end of yesterday they didnt really have anything to do with your post, it was a case of some bloggers listing all the things they have a issue with over the last few years, maybe the thing we need to do is stay on topic, but then there’d be no time for discussion of wiff waff, wine, surfing, lads weekends, RAs women, Pregnant lesbians etc etc. 😀

Thanks guys 😛 in case you missed it….

…. New post ….

224. Shard says:

Ian Wright reckons we need to buy “a goalkeeper, two centre-halves, two full-backs – for both left-back and right-back positions – another midfielder and two strikers.”

Any wonder Ian Wright doesn’t figure in my list of favourites?

Should change his name to Ian Wrong 😦

226. wally says:

GIE, your parsing Gazidis comments. Alleging that he’s really talking about the profit on the revenue only sets him up to look like a liar. It’s highly doubtful any executive would knowingly put himself in that position. Who knowingly erodes their credibility with their clients?

On your income statement analysis you’d better redo them to account for the dropped wages of arshavin et al. and the academy players, over 500k p/w, over how many weeks? What’s available to spend is much larger than you suggest.