Our Greatest Ever Team – The Results

Finally, after nearly 3 months of reviewing and voting we can now reveal the Greatest All time Arsenal Squad as selected exclusively by Arsenal Arsenal bloggers.

We received close to 3,500 votes broken down between 6 Managers, 12 Goalkeepers, 20 Defensemen, 20 Mid-fielders and 20 Strikers. Those with the most votes within the 5 categories have been selected to form our Greatest all time Squad. Remember the 25 man squad is based on those receiving the most votes in the 4 general player categories and not by their specific position.

The squad is broken out as follows –

I First team Manager, I Director of Football, and 1 Coach.

3 Goalkeepers.

8 Defenders

8 Midfielders

6 Forwards

The Greatest All time Arsenal Squad:

The management team is probably unsurprising, Arsene received the most votes, followed by Herbert and the George, we thought this worked quite well in the modern setups so this is the roles we have given them:

Manager – Arsene Wenger

Director of Football – Herbert Chapman

Coach – George Graham

We doubt we would get many complaints from current fanbase to see Herbert helping out on acquiring players and George helping out on the tactics.

Then we have have the squad, the first eleven decided by those who acquired the most votes in their category.

David Seaman

Lee Dixon              Tony Adams           Martin Keown             Peter Storey

Robert Pires           Patrick Vieira     Cesc Fabregas                Liam Brady

Dennis Bergkamp

Thierry Henry

Substitutes:

Bob Wilson, David O’Leary, Eddie Hapgood, George Graham, Frank McLintock, Ian Wright, Cliff Bastin

Squad:

Pat Jennings, Kenny Sansom, Steve Bould, Pat Rice, Joe Mercer, George Eastham, Ted Drake, Alex James

Oh dear, we managed to break the FA rules as we have a 26 man squad, the fact is that Steve Bould and Pat Rice were tied on votes and we could not see a way to leave either player off of our team.

Thank you for your participation in the Summer voting, if you disagree with any of the above…….well you should have voted!

Come back tomorrow and we will review the top 50 all time greatest as voted by the ArsenalArsenal regulars.

GunnerN5 and Gooner in Exile

180 Responses to Our Greatest Ever Team – The Results

Terrific work guys, who can argue with that starting eleven. Knowing the criteria you set out for the voting process, I understand why Sol Campbell did not figure, but he’d definitely have to be in my 26 man squad. At his peak, he was one of the best centre backs I have ever seen.

We could have voted for our best ever stadium …… it’s a no brainer, I’d bet my house that Highbury would have won that category 😛

2. Double98 says:

I realise this wont be popular so apologies in advance.

Vieira agitated a move away from the club.
    Fabregas who did likewise and may yet join our bitterest rival Man Utd.

Neither lived up to the hype we bestowed on them… Henry did the same but he paid it all forward and since he left he paid it all back

The fan is blind to the truth

3. D98 I was amazed that Cesc featured…..as you say we are blind to the truth.

Like you Rasp I was disappointed no Sol….but due to criteria used to gain nomination he did not feature.

Thanks again GN5 and GIE. Not too much to argue with there yet interesting to see Peter Storey and Liam Brady are the only players in the starting 11 not from the current era.

5. Red Arse says:

Well, I can only think in superlatives for this whole project!

The trawl through Arsenal’s history has revealed real and unexpected gems both about players we, in the current era know about, but also fantastic and fascinating information about players from years gone past.

Before making any further comments on the teams and squad, stand up GN5, the master, and his able cohort GIE, and take a very well deserved bow!!!

Brilliant stuff, gentlemen! 😀 😀

6. Double98 says:

GIE.. Its not even as if he achieved anything. hes pushing Brady out onto the left wing and why is Pires on the right?
    To accomodate chippy, to accomodate the Kid from barca?

7. Red Arse says:

GN5,

The necessary filtering system or qualifying criteria has thrown up some inevitable omissions, and like Rasper, for example, I think Sol Campbell would have been in my personal team, so to speak.

But I do not have any problems with the wonderful team/squad/management that has been produced by the combined votes of so many fans.

Therein lies the genius of this project, it leaves a huge amount of latitude for everyone to finesse their own favourite players, and to explain why they would choose one over the other.

The choice of players for a team is often dictated by the players’ attributes dependent on what tactical system is deployed and I am happy to defer to the technical nous of Micky in that respect, and I am pretty partial to his 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 set up myself! 😀

8. evonne says:

I loooooooooooooooooove this squad! Superb! We could win all 4 trophies with these guys.

Re Cesc. Remember the chant ‘Fabregas oh oh oh o, Fabregas oh oh oh o. He’s only 17, he’s better than Roy Keane’

The lad played for us with his heart on the sleeve since he was 17. He did all that was asked of him. He knew we were not ready to win any trophies and he wanted to go after 8 years of excellent service. How can you compare him to the treacherous Dutchman, who only played 1 excellent season and that was a push from him for a move?

9. evonne says:

GiE – re early morning discussion about Suarez. You are right about his character and about him using Arsenal as a stepping stone towards his move to RM. Both of these can be useful to us.

RM had their fair share of bad publicity surrounding the unsavoury Maureen character. They are a proud club and want to appear better than the rivals. They don’t want to risk Suarez taking a chunk of Ozil and claiming that in his country one eats fish.

Luis has to rebuild his reputation before he can even dream about Spain. So, he is likely to behave and play well to prove to the Spaniards that he is their man. And we reap the rewards.

Oh, and there is no better place to rebuild reputation than at a classy club like ours, obviously 🙂

10. Norfolk Gooner says:

Good morning to you all.

GN5 & GiE Gold Stars for you both.

It’s impossible to argue with that first team selection, after all it was by popular vote, but as far as I’m concerened there would be no place for The Homesick Spaniard, I’d rather see almost anybody in his place, even Denilson.

Well GN5, this the culmination of an epic piece of work. I can’t thank you enough. Thank you.

Thanks also to GiE he for his back up.

Sad, but not surprised, Wrighty did not make the line up. Should have been the 2-3-5 to crowbar him in (not my favoured 1-10, RA 🙂 ).

Special mention to Bastin. Superb to force a squad start from the black and white days.

Thanks again, Lads.

12. Gooner In Exile says:

RA, I considered just publishing a 25 man squad and letting you lot decide a team, but GN5 was right in suggesting better to define the team and then allow others to play….so that’s what we did.

Given the squad at our disposal I would probably go:

…….….…Seaman
    Dixon….Adams…..McLintock…..Sansom
    ………..Vieira…………Brady
    Pires……….DB10…………Bastin
    ……………..Wright……………..

13. Gooner In Exile says:

Scrap that Dixon out Rice in

14. Gooner In Exile says:

And here are a selection of names that didnt make it……
    Rocastle
    Ljungberg
    Winterburn
    Armstrong
    Silva

Do you know what we are bloody lucky to support Arsenal 😀

That is a sterling piece of work chaps, keeping us entertained through the waste lands of the close season is no easy task, so thank you for all the hard work you put in.

16. evonne says:

lucky? a feeder club with no ambition, fighting to make it 4th, no trophies for 8 years and never won in Europe

Are you still on Marlborough lights are have you switched to wacky backy?

Proud to be a Gunner though 🙂

17. evonne says:

LB – is it true that Wiggins didn’t even congratulate Froome?

18. Red Arse says:

Evonne,

Not only did Brad congratulate Froome, he said that he (Froome) was the better rider, especially in the mountains.

Side Bar: That was not from a ‘red top’ newspaper, but from his own lips, as I watched the interview myself!

19. keith says:

Gervinho is a classic example of a player mismanaged by a coach bereft of any tactical nous

20. evonne says:

RA – ok, thanks for that. There was some rubbish on the TS, I should have known better.

21. keith says:

Wenger was sacked by both Nancy and Monaco long before the Emirates Stadium and the Oligarch argument

22. evonne says:

Having said that dear RA, Daily Mail reports the same story as TS, interesting. But I am sure you know best 🙂

23. Jamietheleftback says:

I`m glad SOMEONE Left out Robin Van Ungrateful, I had asked 5 people: ( 3 Gooners mind you) and 4 out of 5 include Robin Van ungrateful and this came from 2 gooners, also these are the best players, if only we still had them…

24. Red Arse says:

Sniffer/Keith,

Did you know that chickens were laying eggs long before eggs were hatching. No, wait, maybe chicken eggs were hatching before chickens were laying.

25. Ugochukwu says:

I hail our fans. 8yrs of trophyless support is a mark of true sportsmanship. It is well

26. Jamietheleftback says:

If we still had that team we would win the BPL Without losing every other year and win 3 trophies a year

Good day everyone.

As expected our final squad gets mixed reviews, even though they are the top choices of AA voters.

I was also disappointed that some of our best players and many of my personal favourites were not profiled. However in order to put personal feelings aside it was absolutely necessary to have a standard criteria that all of those profiled met. Even with a set criteria we profiled 72 players over an eight week period.

I’m amazed that a few people could possibly hold a grudge against such incredibly gifted players such as Cesc and Thierry.

Cesc received the 2nd highest votes of all of our mid-fielders and twice as many as Liam Brady.

Thierry was our runaway1st choice player receiving 38% more votes than the 2nd place player.

GIE, I frankly shocked that you would have Ian Wright as your 1st team striker and not TH14, wow!

28. keith says:

Red Arse

And did you know you have a French Omelette on your face

29. Jamietheleftback says:

GN5
    Good team isn`t it! But Wenger HAD to sell them!

A big thank you to those who understood the need for a criteria even if it meant that some of the best were left out, in my belief we ended up with the best of the best.

Our final starting eleven really is a team of ones dreams……..

31. Jamietheleftback says:

I know right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jamie

32. evonne says:

well said GN5! Amen.

My personal all time team out of those profiled would be;

David Seaman

Peter Storey
    Edie Hapgood
    Joe Mercer
    Frank McLintock
    Cliff Bastiin
    Ted Drake

What my team may lack in traditional field position they more than make up for in natural skill and ability.

34. keith says:

Wenger’s lobotomy has gone horribly wrong, it was suppose to enable him to loosen the purse strings, instead of which it’s made him tight as a duck’s arse

Hang on, we’ve missed off an important post in the above Arsenal all-time hierarchy:

Club Archivist

Only one nomination: Gn5, take a bow son…

I’m surprised at the level of ill-feeling towards Cesc. If you feel that way then, for the sake of consistency, you should be just as angry about Brady.

Rocky,

You automatically receive the 1st AA Phd in blogging.

I would like to take this opportunity to publically thank GIE for his contributions and support throughout the summer, he did a wonderful job, thank you GIE.

Rocky,

Or angry towards any player that had the audacity to want to leave Arsenal – it would be a very long list.

40. evonne says:

GN5 – allow me to join others in congratulating you on a very fine series of articles. You and GiE deserve AA OBE for special contributions to football. I am sure Rasp and Chas can publish special diplomas for you guys. Cheers!!

41. A huge thank you to both GunnerN5 and Gooner In Exile, you must have put a lot of hours in on this fantastic post.
    My personal all-time Arsenal XI:
    1. David Seaman
    2. Lee Dixon
    3. Eddie Hapgood
    4. Peter Storey
    5. Tony Adams
    6. Peter Simpson
    7. Robert Pires
    8. Alex James
    9. Ted Drake
    10. Dennis Bergkamp
    11. Cliff Bastin.

I’m pretty sure that side would conquer all before them!

42. evonne says:

GN5 – as much as I love you, I have to point out to you that it is perfectly justified to feel angry towards SOME players who have the audacity to want to leave Arsenal.

Na$ri and R$P are ex aequo top of my list of most hated individuals. Even the lesbian whose dog savaged my dog is on the 4th place, that’s how much I hate the traitors. Cesc is a different story altogether.

Evonne,

I also find them both to be very poor characters with even more questionable integrity. However I still appreciate their ability on the football field even though Nasri was only at his best for half a season and RVP in his last year.

We are the Arsenal, I would be more than happy to see your team turn out for Arsenal, incredible choices.

“Pregnant” Lesbian, Evonne. The detail is everything 🙂

46. We’re spoilt for choice in most positions, GunnerN5, naturally it comes down to personal choice and normally what’s freshest in the memory, but it’s impossible to ignore the impact of some of those players from that legendary 1930’s side, especially as they brought the club its first major silver-ware.

47. Jamie says:

@Jamietheleftback
    Great team and only unfortunate that Wenger DID have to sell some of those players. Just imagine TH14 in our 2010/11 season.

With Love
    The real Jamie.

So far, out of bloggers personal favourite XI’s, I like GiE’s the most:

…….….…Seaman
    Dixon….Adams…..McLintock…..Sansom
    ………..Vieira…………Brady
    Pires……….DB10…………Bastin
    ……………..Wright……………..

If I had my clinical and soulless hat on, I’d put Cole in place of Kenny, but then I’d have to drop Wrighty for Henry, and seeing as that’s never going to happen, Kenny stays 🙂

49. Red Arse says:

Evonne,

I am impressed ‘ex aequo et bono’ is one of my favourite phrases! 🙂

50. Red Arse says:

WATA,

I did not see many of the names mentioned in your team, but from what I have read and from their great reputations that seems a very good selection.

What do you think of the managerial choice?

51. My formation would probably have to be a 4-4-2 Diamond, with Peter Storey roaming and patroling in front of the back four, and Alex James given license to roam anywhere between the two wingers and just behind the front two. It could accommodate a flat 4-4-2, which allows Dennis Bergkamp to play in the hole behind Ted Drake.

52. Hi Red Arse,
    I didn’t agree with it, but after all the effort put in by GunnerN5 and Gooner In Exile, I thought it would be rather churlish to mention it.

RA
    ‘ex aequo et bono’
    Just having a guess, so “out of the water with a stiffy”?, or “the lead singer from U2 is a drip”?

54. Red Arse says:

Damn it, Micky, you and Evonne have been peeking! 🙂

55. Red Arse says:

WATA,

I do not think giving another opinion is churlish, at all.

Don’t forget, the team in the Post was chosen by the fans’ vote, and not by either GN5 or GIE personally.

No harm – no alarm. 🙂

56. I think you and I fundamentally disagree on the abilities of our current manager, Red Arse 🙂

WATA/RA,

To put the managers vote in perspective Arsene received 4.5 times more votes than all of the other managers put together.

58. Nothing personal GunnerN5, I just happen to think he’s over-rated.

WATA/RA.

I was not fortunate enough to be around when HC was our manager I only heard about him through family discussions and to be honest he was held high up on a pedestal by them.

I’ve seen live or on TV every manager since and AW gets my hands down vote, not only do I see him as our best ever manager but also as one of the best managers the game has ever seen.

WATA,

Don’t worry, I don’t take it in the least bit personally, your opinion is just as valid as mine.

61. It’s a huge judgement call GunnerN5, especially as he’s never really worked under huge pressure. He’s never worked at a club that expects to win the European Cup, he’s always managed clubs well below that level, and he’s never pushed himself to reach that level.

WATA,

Now our opinions really do separate, I cannot agree with any one of those assumptions.

63. Jamie says:

Lurch
    Just shows how short sighted you are. A coach can’t just choose to sell a player. And neither can he force a player to stay if he decides to leave.

64. Red Arse says:

WATA,

You are possibly correct in your assessment of our respective and diverse positions regarding our manager. 🙂

Actually, to clarify my position, I do not think anyone is perfect, and that includes AW.

It is difficult to know who is, or is not, responsible for sanctioning transfers, without having access to first hand information, but we fans would have to be very naive not to believe the Go to Transfer Guy is Arsene himself.

On that assumption, I am sometimes puzzled and discombobulated that such a good judge of a player could sanction the purchase of Squillaci, Park, Denilson and other similarly limited players.

So there we are — not perfect, after all! 🙂

65. It’s only personal opinion, GunnerN5, but AW wouldn’t have been under any pressure to bring European success to either Nantes or Monaco, and no-one at Arsenal really expects him to win the CL, so when – if ever – has he been put under pressure by the Arsenal hierarchy? And when was the last time he looked hungry enough to actually want to win something?

66. There are many other areas that he falls in short Red Arse.

67. evonne says:

RA – you are easily impressed  Sadly very good education was wasted on me; I chose to be a football hooligan

And as for ‘I don’t think anyone is perfect’ – please speak for yourself. Ain’t that right Micky?

Micky – no, no, no. This lesbian was the wife of the pregnant spouse. The pregnant husband arrived long after the dogs, all bitches you understand

“Arsenal offered Malaga captain in striker exchange” ey?? You have to give it to some – they don’t lack imagination

WATA,

The pure agony etched on his face when we are losing answers your question, but in his own words if we lose or pay poorly he cannot sleep and keeps replaying the game in his head, that is if he’s not sitting up all night watching replays.

He simply lives and breathes Arsenal, what more can we expect of our manager. I pay little or no notice to all of the idle speculation of the Red Tops and their vivid paper selling interpretations on what goes on the walls at Arsenal.

I refuse to let spurious, devious, people or media sway what I can see before me.

It will be a very sad day when AW decides to retire and I sure hope that he is not driven away by the boo boys of the 2000’s…………

69. GunnerN5,
    if as you say he studiously watches re-runs, and replays the game over and over in his head, why doesn’t he make the necessary tactical changes that do for us over and over again? Why can’t he identify weaknesses and where it is our football starts to break down? Where is the leadership and the desire on the field? Where are those players who get angry and fired-up when they go 1-0 down? There’s no excitement or menace about Arsenal, and when the football isn’t working – which is quite often, especially against bigger clubs – it is turgid and uninspiring.
    Theo Walcott, who at best is average, is our highest paid player, who Arsene Wenger once described as being “better than Mess…”
    Still, if you demand nothing, that’s exactly what you’ll get.

70. Gooner In Exile says:

Knew you couldn’t keep it in check for long Herb (WATA). Pressure is all relative.

GN5 as I said at the time of the forwards vote, Wrighty is my all time favourite despite not being as good as Henry, he meant more to me, so heart over head there.

WATA, We will never agree on this subject and I dislike getting into and endless debate, so here are my last thoughts on the subject.

In the last half of the season our results were as follows.

Goals For 33, Against 16,
    Games won 12. Drawn 4, Lost 3, Points 40.

Those stats over a full season would be.

GF66, GA32, GW24, GD8, GL6 Pts80.

That would have put us in 2nd place, above Man C and Chelsea but still behind Man U who had every official’s decision’s and Lady Luck in their favour.

That was with our existing squad and with Podolsi, Giroud and Santi in their first EPL seasons and Jack playing only sporadically. I remain steadfastly optimistic and have 100% faith in the ability of AW.

GIE:

It was just a big surprise that you would let your heart lead you on such a critical choice, but it is granted that Ian Wright could never be considered to be a bad choice, Peace.

I’ve just about caught up with posts and comments of the past few days.

Thanks to GIE, DidIt and Rocky for the the three preceding today’s.

Special thanks to GN5 and his able sidekick GIE for the culmination of such a wonderful summer’s effort of entertainment. Muchas gracias.

(for some reason I now have the image of the Norfolk Cannon dressed in green pants, red waistcoat and yellow cape flashing across my mind) 🙂

How was your lads-n-dads Chas?

Thierry over Wrighty for me, every time.

I can still drool over a video of Ian Wright, Arsenal legend, but the thought of him turning into a pillock when he became a media star I find hugely depressing.

76. Merseforever says:

Gn5,

I have a lot of respect for what Arsene has done, but to put him down as one of the greatest coaches of all time is a step too far for me. He’s had enough time to manage us to a European trophy and unfortunately (hasn’t yet!) succeeded in that. I think to be put into the upper echelons of management you have to win in Europe. The year we got knocked out by the Chavs at Highbury is a case in point. We approached that leg completely the wrong way and that was probably the best chance Arsenal had to win the European cup. That team should have done better in Europe .

Wenger is undoubtedly Arsenal’s greatest manager and I feel lucky that he came to our club. But, quite honestly, he’s not amongst the best managers of all time in my opinion. Tactical inflexibility, an inability to be truly reactive and other flaws have held him back from ascending to the heights of someone like the red nosed, alcoholic, Scottish berk.

Also, I appreciate your point about him living and breathing for the Arsenal. But so do I. So did my dad and so does my son. So did big Tone. So did Rocky – ‘remember who you are and what you represent.’ So did George. So did Wrighty. So did ‘the Bear’ – for those who know. So does everyone on these blogs. I too see the agony on his face when we are losing. But what does he do? Invariably he screams at the 4th official paces up and down and then makes no changes. I am the ground a lot and I’ve seen it time and time again. He rarely shouts instructions to the players on the pitch and as we know you can almost always set your watch by the time he will bring substitutes on!! I hope he can win another trophy with us, because he deserves to, but I quite often feel that football has moved on, and that Arsene will never be able to scale the heights he previously achieved. As I said, he has too many flaws.

Absolutely top notch, Rocky.
    It’s going to take a few days to fully recover.

79. GunnerN5, as part of the Arsenal fraternity, your opinions and beliefs are as valid as anyone elses, and naturally I will respect them when blogging with you.
    Hi Gooner In Exile – that’s gone right over my head?

80. neamman says:

Because there are so few of us oldies there are few from a previous era. Thanks to the guys for doing this ..it was very interesting. As mentioned by others I am also surprised at the animosity towards Cesc, I can only think its to do with the current MU rumours. He gave his all for us and moved to his childhood team. God knows If I were a great player and had the chance to play for the Arsenal I would also want to go, even if I were at MU or Liverpool. I would welcome him back in a heartbeat!

81. neamman says:

Merseforever
    Who knows what AW could have achieved if we didn’t have the millstone of building a new stadium. To me he is on a par with Chapman, not only did he deliver on the pitch but he took the club to a whole new level. We owe him a huge debt as without him we would be an Everton. Few remember that in the 60s they were arguably the richest club who could buy anyone, but they didn’t move on and look at them now, A good club but unless they rebuild Goodison or move they will never win a championship again. We can and will!!

82. neamman says:

Excuse the short posts but I am reading the replies and posting as I see one that interests me. I do not think we have ever been in a position to seriously challenge for the CL, we were too small finance wise with only a 37000 capacity stadium. NOW we have become a top 5 club worldwide and going forward we should expect to build a team that can challenge, within 5-10 years at least.
    That is the debt we owe AW and if a subsequent manager wins it then AW certainly deserves some credit. He didn’t just think next 2-3 years his vision was the next 30 years or more.

Oh boy that bad smell keeps coming back, I noticed that the air had been refreshed at least once today, but unfortunately the smell of skunks hang’s around a long time.

84. Red Arse says:

GN5, 🙂

And the lobotomy has not worked on Sniffer — he keeps repeating his moronic claptrap.

Quite funny really seeing someone publicly ridiculing himself — altho’ I feel a bit sorry for him too when it is so obvious he is ‘troubled’.

sid.

GFY.

RA,

It’s truly pathetic, I can only think that it’s a young boy who’s personal life is a sad mess and can only cheer himself up with his inane comments.

A really sad commentary on a life going to waste.

Before I forget, I would like to thank the AA regulars for all of their positive reinforcement of the work done by GIE and myself. It’s really encouraging when you realize that you are not alone in your love for all things Arsenal past and present.

I would also like to thank Rasp and Peaches – as a few short years back I was a real thorn in their sides and made many of my personal viewpoints /criticism’s to them in private emails, they should have tossed me overboard.

Now I have full respect for them and the core of AA bloggers.

Gn5, GIE
    No resting on your laurels… I hope you’ve got a plan in the works for NEXT summer 😀

Hope no-one minds but I’ve done a bit of deodorising.

My contribution to the discussion about AW: most of his detractors seem never to take into account the stadium move, the world economic crash of 2008 and the arrival of sugar daddy owners into the EPL.

With hindsight the stadium move could not have come at a more inauspicious time (2008 crash + sugar daddies = perfect storm).

But somehow AW kept us in the top four during all those transitional years while spending net zero.

It was a miracle – and one that I don’t believe Ferguson or Mourinho would have had a hope in hell of pulling off.

I’m looking forward to watching what happens to the Spuds when they try to emulate us by building their own brand new urinal.

It’s easy to imagine Spurs fans and players in a pot of piss!

Kelsey,

I missed your comment, earlier today, I’m happy that they both made the starting 11 but I’m even happier that 7 of our old time players made the 1st team squad.

93. evonne says:

in a nutshell GN5 – you are just one happy bunny 🙂

94. neamman says:

I hope you’ve got a plan in the works for NEXT summer 😀

=========================

How about the greatest players to play for Tottenham??

Oh well, that will take one article.. cant think of more than 3-4 I would call great.

Jennings, Greaves, Mackay, White, Cliff Jones.. that’s about it in my mind. Ok, topic finished.. what else can GN5/GIE do??

95. Red Arse says:

Rocky doing some house-keeping set me in mind of other activities he liked to become engaged in.

Rocky in the Canadian sticks
    Liked to write funny limericks.
    But he failed at the sport,
    ‘Cause he wrote them too short.
    🙂 🙂

So, I thought I would ‘elp ‘im;

There once was a blogger named Fisher,
    Who was fishing for fish in a fissure.
    Then a cod with a grin
    pulled the silly sod in,
    Now they’re fishing the fissure for Fisher.

Yaay, the Yanks!! 🙂

96. Red Arse says:

Neaman, it is close to blasphemy to put those names on here — and to ask for more …………………. and I thought you were one of the good guys!!! 😀

GN5 @ 5:31, I think we’ve learnt a lot from one another and your input over this summer has been invaluable … so thank you

Along those same lines, I hope we can embrace WATA’s alternative views and make him feel as much a part of the community on AA

98. Jamie says:

Neamman
    You forgot Adebayor and Kolo Toure. 
    No surprise they didn’t make our list

GunnerN5 says:
    July 30, 2013 at 5:31 pm (Edit)

Now I have full respect for them and the core of AA bloggers

—————————————————————————-

In other words you are just a crawler 🙂 🙂 :

100. Red Arse says:

Damn, when you start these things, Rocky it is impossible to stop! 🙂

There was a young woman named Hyde
    Who fell down the outhouse and died
    The next day her brother
    Fell down an other
    And now they’re in turd side by side

(Rocker did write one for you Evonne!)

Evonne would never have used an obscenity
    When she wrote about man’s masculinity.
    For to her, words with rudeness,
    Crudeness, lewdness, or nudeness
    Would disturb her blogger serenity.

101. Hi Rocky Lives, thanks for the reply yesterday, i meant to get back to you on it.
    I agree that Arsene Wenger giving us CL football is an achievement that deserves acknowledging, but it isn’t astonishing. We operate with a £50m bigger wage-bill than Spurs and with the fourth highest wage-bill in the PL, which should make it impossible for him not to qualify.
    When you say AW and the club are performing financial miracles, I’m lost on that point, because I’m not an accountant or economist,
    but I don’t think the socialist wage policy has been the cleverest use of our resources. And regarding our resources, we’re virtually royalty given our connections from our Old Etonians. Would Arsenal have taken such a financial gamble with a new stadium build if someone somewhere wasn’t lining their pocket and the BoD were due a healthy windfall? Arsenal have always had money, lots of it, going all the way back to Henry Norris.
    The net zero spend is through selling our best players and replacing them with lesser quality, which is why we show profit every year. He doesn’t know how to get the better of the top three,
    so he doesn’t try because he has the safety-net that as long as his team are better than 16 others, he’s doing his job. The run at the end of last season, when we were out all of the cups and playing once a week was par for the course. They didn’t beat a MU side that were partying and almost switched-off inside, at home, and the Newcastle game summed it up perfectly. Knowing that IF Everton nicked a point at Stamford Bridge, a three goal winning margin would have seen us finish third, against a hapless Newcastle whose previous two home games had seen them lose 6-0 against Liverpool and 3-0 in the NE derby, and who still wouldn’t have scored if we were still playing, Arsenal scored the one goal they needed to secure fourth, and then gave up playing, happy to protect what they had so they could celebrate as though they were champions.
    The standard of football and the level we are playing at isn’t good enough because there is no desire or intent to challenge those above us.

The old holes in the outhouse were wide;
    So no wonder the boys fell inside.
    And now they’re interred
    Under ten tons of turd.
    From a ride through a Hyde house outside.

A young woman exclaimed, “Oh, my word!”
    When she squishily stepped in a turd.
    Her shoe was so ‘airy’
    She thought it was scary.
    So she rapidly had it interred.

103. evonne says:

RA – stop it!!! you are being naughty (but eve so nice)

neamman – Ardiles and Glenda? Sol Cambell 🙂

104. Thank you Rasp @6.13pm

I picked up a Hitchhiker frim Hyde
    And in the car found he was a bit of a snide
    He put his hand on my rear
    Which made me camatosed with fear
    And then he took me for a bit of a ride

Nothing surprises me TMHT 🙂

Thanks GN5 and GIE

What a fantastic team picked by the readers. Just shows that over the years we have had some great players.

Lets hope the next few years will throw up some names that will chalange that special line up

The Ghosts of the Thirties are Stiring

WATA
    I’m not an accountant either – they’re all weirdos (oops, hello Redders 🙂 ).

However, I am not sure anyone has ever proved how big our wage bill is or has been in the past, or whether we had a socialist wage structure. These sort of claims start on the internet, made by people with an axe to grind, and become accepted as fact simply through repetition.

I still maintain that getting top four every year while spending less on transfers than the likes of QPR, Wigan and Bolton is an amazing achievement.

As for the Newcastle game – you just can’t compare last-game-of-the-season results with results at other times. The level of tension is always incredibly high and many/most top clubs struggle. The Spuds at home just scraped past their opponents.

109. Hi
    It looks like my least favourite welsh man is off.
    Bye bye bale
    Sheep Hagger ™🚬

110. neamman says:

Can we bar Clive and James?

111. No problem Rocky, I just thought after you took time out to reply yesterday, I should show you the same courtesy.
    We’re all Arsenal and however we see it, we all want the same end result 🙂

112. Red Arse says:

Terry, baby,

Can I say well done for ignoring that unfortunate person. You are showing him how a real human being behaves!! 😀

Not sure what the syrup makes of it!!! 🙂

113. Red Arse says:

Huh, Rocky, just because I can write 5 line limericks!! 🙂

114. Optimism is a wonderful attribute to have, whether we agree with ‘Terry Mancini’s Hair Transplant’ or not, we’d all love the PL title, and he is exactly the type of character Arsenal need in their trenches. Good on you, and long live your support, Terry!

115. Gooner In Exile says:

WATA (Herb) my point that pressure is relative was in response to you saying AW was under no pressure to win, doesn’t mean he was under no pressure at all.

Any manager given a pot full of money can build a team to compete for titles and fourth place would be a given. Lets be honest not many managers would fail to get ManUre, Chavs or Shitty in the top 4….well except AVB/RDM.

A manager given a large budget and fighting relegation is under more pressure than a manager with a small budget and fighting relegation.

AW has been tasked with the nigh on impossible of trying to achieve the mininimum of CL qualification with a small budget.

And please stop taking wage bill into account, the wage figures in the Accounts cannot be taken as the players wages. The Emirates is a bigger ground than SHL, the fan base is bigger, the coaching is bigger, the community schemes are bigger, the PR department is bigger, the costs of employing staff on the non playing side are therefore bigger. Until the FA or UEFA publicise FFP figures with actual player (football) wage cost there is no one who knows what our player wage bill is.

United wage bill is similar when compared to Chavs or Shitty, the other two are known to have more money at their disposal for wages for players than United but when you look at published wage figures they do not look drastically different.

If I was over your head when referring to you as Herb perhaps you should change where your name takes you when you click on its link, if I’m not mistaken you posted on here a while back with that name, I even remember an apology post to Wenger himself, but now you’re back with the same old grudges to bear that I have read endlessly here from you and elsewhere in the blogosphere.

But here is where I and most people that do Wenger down differ, if he was never appointed I doubt we would be so upset at 4th place, we would still be at Highbury looking for a way to join the big money CL game, because I don’t think any other manager would have got us close to this position given the Board were reluctant to pass up their control for so long.

Hi Kelsey, trust you are well my friend

Thanks Redders. I have bribed Syrup with the prospect of an Indian head massage and two tickets to see Hairspray, so that seems to have placated him…for the moment. hahaha

Thanks WATA, very kind of you.

However, i am only optomistic about Arsenal. The rest of the time i spend in dreaded fear of misfortune and the Grim Reaper

If you ever see a man walking down the street taking his pulse and counting the beats, then you know its me. hahaha

118. Red Arse says:

Well, afore I go, Terry (who is very shy) asked me to publish one of his Limericks — he has many!

Rocky loved playing Monopoly,
    But he never did anything properly;
    So Terry mused ‘If you always choose
    To boil duck eggs in your shoes,
    You will never get good at Monopoly.

You are a good man, Terry Titmouse, and by the way;

…………………….I AM THE VILLAGE IDIOT……………………….

119. Red Arse says:

Chas is back —- and so are the vids!!! Yaay! 🙂

120. Shard says:

The culmination of an epic effort. Thank you GN5 and GIE. Your work is much appreciated. Is there any way to bookmark it and put a link to it separately on the site. I know I’ll want to go back at some point and read through it again.

Bergkamp, Pires, Henry. As long as those 3 players make the team, I cannot be disappointed. They made me love football. Fantastic players, and as for the rest of the players, especially those that didn’t make it. We’re just blessed to have had so many great players in our history. My personal favourite footballer, however, will always be Bergkamp. I am so happy I had the privilege of watching him play for us.

But I am also excited by our future. We’re now finally among the true European elite. What a fantastic achievement, and journey, it has been in getting so far. The hard part’s over. Now to make the final step.

121. Gooner In Exile says:

Bloody ell the Championship kicks off on Saturday!!!

WATA
    I am very happy to chat/debate with you because you make your points in a reasoned and reasonable way and you are able to muster good arguments to support your opinions…

…even if I don’t agree with some of them 🙂

123. Gooner In Exile, it’s fine, you think he’s an elite manager, I don’t agree. I’d rather not discuss finances, we are after all first and foremost a football club. The only time I get caught up talking about the clubs resources is when people try to say we’ve got no money. Arsenal have shed-loads.
    But to keep it on a pure football level, on and off the park poor decisions have cost the club. For a man to watch as much football as AW has and does, allied with his intelligence and attention to detail, Arsenal should be world-beaters by now. He’s had seventeen years to build an Empire. But he over-pays for players like Andre Santos and Gervinho, persists with Diaby and Rosicky whilst being stuck with Bendtner and Chamakh, which sort of sums up how the club is currently run. We have a squad of ‘nearly’ men, those who fall short of the top level.
    All the noises coming from The Emirates this summer were that there would be a huge shift in philosophy and significant money would be spent to elevate us to where we might at least challenge. Higuain according to many was a ‘done deal’, (yes, I know, Real Madrid upped the price so we relinquished our ‘interest’), Wayne Rooney’s name was shamelessly dangled like a golden carrot to the faithful, so where are they? Julio Cesar would be ideal, a Lescott would give us leadership and organisation at the back, Fellaini has a buy-out clause of £23m and would give us what we’re missing in midfield. Up front, Edin Dzeko could find a home at Arsenal. All very realistic transfers that Arsenal should be capable of conducting. But it won’t happen because people fear change.
    Jack Wilshere and the Ox are the shining lights of an ordinary bunch, and despite our ‘brand’ of football often being shown to be impotent and flawed, no adjustments are made to address these failings. The club have convinced the fans that fourth is a fantastic achievement, so The Emirates faithful have adjusted their expectations so that the fight for fourth has now become our ‘title-race’ and cup final all in one, cue the ecstatic celebrations when the target is reached.

124. Jamietheleftback says:

Good team, only one thing, Sol Campbell. but then he was only the ultimate player at his peak, I read a book about him recently. he was a player like Arshavin, very good at his peak but now, he is a reserve and doesn’t get game time

Jamie

125. Jamietheleftback says:

Good work GN5 and GIE My congratulations but look at it from an non arsenal fans point, we would have RVP for sure!

126. Gooner In Exile says:

Herb I won’t bother because as I said earlier I’ve heard it all before…..Lescott vs Koscielny or BFG, Dzeko vs Giroud. Ho hum.

All the other things you say are straight out of the red tops…..and exactly why I don’t read them and suggest you don’t, you are angry with the club for doing what precisely, did they mention any of your names on the website has Wenger been quoted as saying “we have made a bid for £x”. This buy out clause that Moyes would surely be exercising given his history with the player. You have believed every pile of crap the tabloids and SSN have thrown your way.

Here’s a fact 1% of the tabloid rumoured transfers/interest/done deals have happened. You have nothing to be angry about. Or at least nothing to be angry at the club about….if you want to direct some anger try red top journos filling column inches or yourself for being so gullible.

Fourth place is an achievement, if it wasn’t there wouldn’t be such a fuss about us possibly missing out on it, and it wouldn’t be the target of Liverpool or Spurs.

127. GunnereN5 says:

Jamie,

FYI; Sol Campbell retired as a player May 2nd 2012.

128. Jamietheleftback says:

GN5, well what I mean at the end of his career his skill decreased, sorry for putting it wrong

129. GunnereN5 says:

WATA, Frankly you are flogging a dead horse, very few AAers will share your point of view. It’s an old and well trodden trail leading to a circle that goes round and round and………………….

130. goonerjake says:

Great series of articles GN5 and GIE, truly fantastic.
    Got me thinking though of an all time Arsenal Twit (spelt with an A) 5 aside team,

Cashley Hole, Na$ri, Clichy, Van Judas, Adeybarndoor.

Obviously Barndoor is the goalie as he’s no good at anything else.

Could we get 11 most hated though?

131. Jamietheleftback says:

Most hated

Barndoor
    Na$ri
    Hole
    Van Judas
    Song ( I remember my cousin being furious when he left but he is only there cos im strapped for ideas!)

132. Gooner In Exile says:

Jake I floated the idea of Arsenals worst ever XI

Goalkeeper Manninger

RB? CB Gus Caesar CB Stepanovs LB?

RW? CM Hughes CM Hillier LW?

CF ? CF ?

It’s quite difficult, because in truth I find it hard to do anyone who pulls the red and white on down.

133. Gooner In Exile says:

Surely Anelka would get agame in the most hated 5-a-side team

134. Jamietheleftback says:

GIE, Where is AdeyBarndoor!!!!!!!!!!!!!

135. Jamietheleftback says:

AdeyBarndoor should be in your worst 11, he is AWFUL

136. goonerjake says:

GIE Manninger worst goalkeeper? Two words Rami Shaaban

137. goonerjake says:

I was very young at the time about six or seven but i remember when viv anderson left for man utd i was gutted…. did he become a hate figure?

How about…

Richard Wrong Wrong Wrong (Wright)
    John Jenson
    Francis Jeffers
    Clive Allen
    Gus Caesar.

139. goonerjake says:

Gus Caesar 1988 League Cup final against Luton….. what a ……….

A bit late to the comments but a big thank-you from me to GN5 and GIE for all their hard work and entertaining posts this summer.

141. goonerjake says:

Oh by the way GIE left wing worst Glenn Helder and Two strikers Frannie fox in the box Jeffers and the curse of the 9 stikes again with Davor Sukor,

Glenn Helder!
    It’s hard to top that…

143. Gooner In Exile says:

Can’t believe I forgot Glen Helder, and Rami though he didnt play that much.

I’m sure there are others but we are lucky in most instances they like Rami haven’t had much chance to play and annoy us.

Jake I was there for that League Cup Final…..sometimes I think I must have imagined it because Graham only coached and picked great defenders 😉

144. Gooner In Exile says:

Bugger just remembered I need to produce the 50 greatest poll.

145. goonerjake says:

Glen was forgettable

Manninger played a very important part in our first title win under AW.

Wright, on the other hand…

Eddie Mcgoldric (ran like the Hood from thunderbirds)
    Jimmy Carter (once saw him uranating on a disco night floor, still couldnt hit the target)
    Gus Ceaser (played against him once….and i scored-nuff said)
    Brian Hornsby(looked like a popstar, also played like one)
    Steve Gatting (once saw him score an own goal and he shouted..Howzattt)

148. Gooner in Exile says:

Haha TMHT all greats!

Lee Chapman

For balance

151. evonne says:

oooooh, thank you monster 🙂 My son’s pug does that, especially if you mention McDonalds

Clive Allen

153. evonne says:

what about him Kelsey?

Jeremy Alliadiere: 8 years on our books,must make the top ten

Don’t you know your Arsenal history,evonne 🙂

156. evonne says:

I didn’t know he played for Arsenal

Allen signed for Arsenal in the summer of 1980 for a fee of £1.25m, but he did not play a single competitive match (although he did play three matches in Arsenal’s 1980-81 pre-season friendly campaign). He shortly moved on to Crystal Palace in a swap deal with Kenny Sansom.

158. evonne says:

so I was right, he didn’t play for Arsenal

159. Gooner In Exile says:

Not sure if that makes him a bad player, we just needed Samson more than Allen

160. Red Arse says:

Morning fellow trouble makers. 🙂

Clive Allen went on to be one of the Spuds greatest goalscorers shortly afterwards. Booo.

161. Red Arse says:

Where is Micky, the Trouble Maker in Chief? 🙂

162. Gooner In Exile says:

RA are you suggesting we sold him to one of our rivals? Perish the thought!

163. Gooner In Exile says:

RA apparently he had a coming together with a bunch of lobsters.

164. Red Arse says:

GIE,

I’m not sure how he got to Spurs but I was told it was all part of the move to get Kenny Sansom, and Allen was used as a catspaw in some way.

Kelsey is old enough to know — so what happened Hirsute One? 🙂

165. Jamietheleftback says:

We would win the EPL halfway through the season with this team but know we are a team of teenagers from France

( I’m only slightly exaggerating

166. evonne says:

our boys are back, training with big smiles
    some nice pics here

167. evonne says:

Jamietheleftback – SLIGHTLY exaggerating?????????????
    Name them,those teenagers from France

The epic work by GunnerN5 and Gooner in Exile comes to an end today with the top 50 Gunners as voted by all of us over the past weeks.

I shall be creating a new page in the next days which will house the posts so that we can all re-read them.

Thanks again to both GN5 and GiE.

……………..New Post ………………………..

169. Jamietheleftback says:

Evonne

Sanogo and then we get awful Frenchmen (scrap the teenager part ok) like Squallici (spelling!?) and Mr injured all the time Diaby and many others