Arsenal’s Greatest Midfielders : Early Era’s Vote Time

Time for another vote in our summer quest to find our greatest squad. And as in previous weeks you have the chance today to vote for midfielders from our earlier era’s. Don’t worry your recent heroes come next week.

You can vote for up to 3 players if you find the decision difficult,

If you’ve missed out on reading the excellent articles earlier this week check out Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday’s posts.

Written by GunnerN5 and compiled by Gooner in Exile

60 Responses to Arsenal’s Greatest Midfielders : Early Era’s Vote Time

Morning all,

Having the 1st post up is boring.

Where are you all hiding?

Boring and very lonely!

GN5,
    It’s Big Al’s highlight of the day.

4. Norfolk Gooner says:

Good morning to you all and GN5 in particular. Late start this morning as I’ve been doing the little things that needed doing before watching the second test between The Lions and the Wobblys.

I have cast my votes…. Alex Forbes, George Graham and Frank Maclintock.

The clearout is gathering pace… Arshavin gone, Mannone going (to Sunderland), Julio Cesar could be his replacement, he’s the cheap option the other two being Reina and Begovic.

I voted for Mercer, Eastham and McLintock.

Mercer because he always seemed a nice chap.

Eastham because he was one of my old man’s faves.

McLintock because he was Tony Adam’s antecedent.

6. Norfolk Gooner says:

Chas,

Alex Forbes as the midfield enforcer we’ve lacked since Viera left, The Stroller for his class, on the field, and Maclintock for his super reliability and steadiness.

I had an antecedent once but it upset my stomach!

8. Gooner In Exile says:

Thanks to Peaches and Rasp for fleshing out the very rushed job I put up this morning. Been a bit busy with work family and now out to have an Ant and Duck away day like session.

Finally whetting(/wetting?) the babies head. That’s how busy I have been this year!

Anyway my votes Mercer, Sammels and McLintock, the latter as I am squad building and he will be a good utility πŸ™‚

Sammels and Mercer as a result of Chas’s clip work.

My votes went to 3 of my all time favourite players –
    Joe Mercer, Alex Forbes and George Eastham

10. evonne says:

chas – what else is there to do in Thailand?

I am still thinking about whom to vote for, not an easy task for someone who did not see any of those guys playing

Sorry to butt in, stream for Lions if anyone’s interested:

evonne – I can’t think of anything that would appeal for longer than about 70 years.

I’ve gone for John Dick because of Gn5’s write-up; Joe Mercer because even though I never saw him play his England career tells you how good he must have been; and Frank McLintock because he was an awesome player and captain.

I loved watching Stroller – but in Arsenal’s all time squad? ‘Fraid not.

What a shame the first stage of the Tour ended in farce.

I voted for Mr Forbes, Mercer and McLintock.

Not easy to leave out Eastham considering his impact on both Arsenal and professional football.

A very entertaining farce I thought but yes, the end was a farce.

I’d never realised you could get “park the bus” tactics in cycling as well…

18. neamman says:

I voted for Graham, McLintock and Sammels

Morning, kelsey.

Tosser πŸ™‚

Done a quick Sky transfer rumour check.

Bloody hope we don’t sign that Julius Caesar bloke. I know we need a leader and all, but as a keeper, is he better than Sz?

It will all start tomorrow as Confederations Cup ends. Reckon all striker movements will be triggered once destination of Cavani is settled.

Although it would appear Real and City are after him, with Rafa at Napoli, a Torres deal could be in the mix.

Hopefully last early morning session from me, as tomorrow I begin an exercise routine first thing. Sounds stupid, I know, but work is seriously heavy, and once the day begins there’s little room for usual outdoory stuff that just about keeps the ticker going πŸ™‚

Right, where’s that skipping rope? πŸ™‚

Have a good day all.

Julia Caesar looks a clown to me. Unless he signs for us, of course, in which case he becomes Lev Yashin reincarnate.

“Hopefully last morning session for me…..”

What do you mean Hopefully ?

Can’t you do both like me?

Mind you I’m not a successful businessman.

Here you go, Micky.

Did you notice she was wearing completely the wrong footwear? πŸ™‚

You mean heels not high enough?

Thought you’d cleared off to gym

I’m not successful, hence the workload!

Evonne’s early morning work out.

Not successful?
    Selling acorns to the frenchies?

I did 4 hours of reducing a privet hedge by 3 feet yesterday.
    The gym can cope without me today.

And no, I don’t think I can do both. Morning blogging eases me into the day, along with a few coffees and a fag, and that combo puts the lid on exercise

New Man tomorrow !

So the morning club is disbanded henceforth?

You’ll miss top quality videos like this which set you up for the day.

What exercises were you thinking of doing outdoors?

Just seen that last vid.

Exercise is off πŸ™‚

Soz, I shouldn’t appear to be trying to dissuade you from exercising.
    Good luck, I love it. Swimming is my favourite exercise. I suppose if you had a swim in the Atlantic every morning that would soon clear away any cobwebs.

Right off to train the shower hose on my lower back.

Swimming in the sea is probably my favourite. Pools I hate.

Have a good one.

Blimey. I need to get up earlier.

Swimming for me too Chas. I try to swim in the pool every morning on the way to work. Better than the sea – no sharks.

Back in London now, so off for a run round Regents Park instead.

Micky
    Do some exercise then have the fags and coffee: they’ll taste even better.

Kesley
    So the “Torres to Arsenal” rumours have started emerging!

I never doubted you for a second πŸ™‚

Wenger waves red flag to lure Torres
    Posted by ESPN staff

Fernando Torres in the red of Arsenal?. Don’t adjust your sets, this is the latest in what promises to be another strange month of transfer rumours. According to the Sunday People, Arsene Wenger is keen to at least try and lure the Spaniard to the Emirates, should his attempts to sign Wayne Rooney or Gonzalo Higuain fail. It is believed Jose Mourinho has stamped his authority at Chelsea by only assuring five players of a starting position next season and it turns out Torres isn’t one of them. That’s given Wenger added impetus to pursue the Blues striker and while it is unlikely Torres and Rooney would line up alongside one another next year, Arsenal are toying with the idea of having Torres and Higuain as strike partners.

You may mock RL πŸ™‚

It says exactly what i said. Torres is an option of three strikers we have bid for.

Constigency plan perhaps.

Not mocking, Kelsey.

I might start a world exclusive column πŸ™‚

I know that, Rocky only kidding πŸ˜‰

I am sometimes loathe to put things up as I know the majority think it is just gossip.

I always thought it had the air of plausibility – at the very least as an option.

AW has been very good at rescuing the careers of great players: Bergkamp, Overmars, Vieira, Henry…

46. VCC says:

Put it up Kelsey. You know I believe you. If I had to choose one of Torres or Higuain, it would be Higuain.

47. VCC says:

Hi Rocky. I was watching you jogging in Regents park this morning…….you should get those knees much higher old boy. Lol.

Did i or did i not tell you about Torres last week VCC πŸ™‚

If we are going for a striker who has all the attributes including headed goals we have to improve our crossing dramatically

It appears Djourou and Bedtner will be off and IF we are really going for two strikers/attackers I expext Gervinho or /and Podolski to go if they are wanted by other clubs and the price is right.

Hello VCC
    It was nice to see you on here yesterday. How’ve you been?

Must have been some other poor old sod you saw in the park – I haven’t gone yet. I’ll be the one with the very red face πŸ™‚

Regents Park is a very pleasant place for a jog – not that jogging attracts me in any way.

Two wheels, good – two trainers, bad.

53. evonne says:

Cesar rumour cannot be true, but more plausible than the Torres one. Yes Kelsey, I still don’t believe you and pledge to do something sensible if you prove me wrong. You chose my sensible forfeit πŸ™‚

I am with DidIt – sea swimming is awesome. People wee in pools, hate them.

Will Brazil win today? I hope so

54. evonne says:

thanks monster, will never swim again

You know how we love a ‘chary rant’ …….well we have a Sunday Special

……………New Post ………………..

56. Ian Ure Face says:

Swim in the sea !
    Don’t Whales piss in the sea ?
    Even worse if it`s a Sperm Whale, that could be a lot of spitting or swallowing !.

57. jaket distro says:

Howdy! I could have sworn I’ve been to this blog before but after checking through some of the post I realized it’s
    new to me. Nonetheless, I’m definitely happy I found it and I’ll be
    book-marking and checking back often!

58. Gene says:

I’m not positive the place you’re getting your information, but great topic. I must spend a while finding out much more or figuring out more. Thanks for fantastic information I was in search of this information for my mission.