Santi Cazorla Shows The Way To Real Madrid

There are two ways of being frustrated as an Arsenal fan during transfer windows.

The first and most obvious is the endless parade of “Arsenal on the brink of signing Player X” stories.

But equally distressing can be the stories that purport to show that our stars are wanted by teams elsewhere and, worse, may be interested in upping sticks and leaving.

We know from recent painful experience that these tales sometimes turn out to be true.

santi 1

So when news feeds started reporting earlier this week that Real Madrid had given up monkey-hunting for a while and were interested in our gifted playmaker Santi Cazorla, it will have sent a quiver through the stoutest Arsenal bottom.

But no sooner had the reports emerged than little Santi – many fans’ choice for our player of the season last year – killed them dead in the water.

While on duty with the Spanish national side he told journalists: “I have three years left on my contract and I have not thought of anything like that. My plan is to continue at the club. Arsenal are treating me very well and I want to win a title with them.”

santi 2

There you go. It’s not so hard, is it?

I often wonder why more players don’t instantly put an end to transfer speculation by categorically stating that they are not going anywhere.

Maybe they like to keep their options open: “…you never know, what if Madrid offer me 200k a week?” Or maybe they think being linked with other big clubs will help them get a better deal at Arsenal. Or maybe those mischievous imps of the modern game, their agents, advise them to say nothing.

santi 3

But Santi Cazorla has shown exactly how it should be done. He is clearly happy at Arsenal. He knows the supporters love him and he feels optimistic about our future. So it was perfectly natural for him to do the honourable thing and pledge his loyalty. I remember Thomas Vermaelen doing something similar a year or two ago when linked with Barcelona (something his current detractors might like to reflect on).

What do you think? Do we fans have a right to know what our players’ intentions for their future are? Do have they have an obligation to speak to us and, if they do, are they obliged to speak honestly?

Either way, Santi’s statement is just one more reason to love the little man.

RockyLives

59 Responses to Santi Cazorla Shows The Way To Real Madrid

1. Rhyle says:

Every time a footballer opens his mouth I’m reminded why “never meet your heroes” is a cliche…

There are too few class acts, like Cazorla, left in the game.

2. Manthan says:

Italian media is saying that Carlo wants to keep Higuian at Madrid and they are not planning to sell him.. Now what other option we have?

3. Rhyle says:

We have the option to ignore Italian media outlets. That’s probably the best option.

Manthan
    We are The Arsenal and, for the first time in ages, we have money to spend. We have lots of options!

I should imagine the likes of Rooney, Higuain, Lewandowski, Torres and others are all begging their agents: “Get me a move to The Arsenal! Come on!”

😀

5. Honeyadu says:

I am just confused about these whole thing.let’s get one player signed first.

6. Jose says:

He is a great person at arsenal hope he stays

7. Joe says:

I don’t care what players are linked, associated or signed by Arsenal they’re all toxic in my eyes because of Wenger. We could sign the Harlem Globetrotters of football and it still would be bittersweet. The man is a pest and hindrance, Wenger is the Gus Caesar of football Managers.

8. Manthan says:

RL,

I agree 😀

Rocky,

You must hold the record for “saves” when it come to appeals for posts.

If it’s not you then it’s Big Raddy or GIE, by the way where is Big Raddy?

With only 3 headline posts needed each week, it’s sad that so much is done by so few for the enjoyment of so many…………

Rocky,

It is my firm belief that “puffed” up agents bear the majority of blame for the attitudinal change in Player/Manager/Club relationships.

In my years of being a football fan I’ve seen everything from all players being slave like and totally subservient to their clubs to what we witness today. All of those memories were revived, and enhanced, as I researched the player profiles.

I thinking of doing another series, next summer, on the heroes of football, you know, trailblazer types.

11. Sai says:

Thank you Rocky for the post. Just what the doc ordered for us to get into the weekend mood.

To be fair on the other players who’ve left the club (Disgusting as it might be as Na$ri and the Monkey), this season we are showin real intent and that might have helped Santi’s decision. But giving full credit to Santi for a quick shun on the rumours.

Thanks Rocky, fine read as BR would say.

13. OMGArsenal says:

Joe….and you are the pest of AA,… opps I meant vermin that infest AA. Please write something we can actually criticise or digest, not some vacuous BS based on your simple-minded dislike of our greatest manager ever! I can provide ample proof form my statement about AW but your’s has received the disdain it deserves from AA.

Thanks everyone.
    It was just a quick conversation starter to maintain the tradition of AA never having missed a day since it started.

Gn5
    Love the trail blazers idea – but be careful! You might find yourself signing up for another summer of hard work!

15. jnyc says:

True Rocky, he seems like a great guy, and he is definitely a class act.

Kelsey,

Can you take the bad smell away?

17. evonne says:

Joe @ 3:03
    Nobody, and I mean nobody over the age of 15 would make such pathetic statement. You are a child, a very stupid child meddling with adults and thinking it is funny to wind us up. It ain’t funny, it ain’t annoying, just plain moronic. You come home after school and instead of doing your homework you go wild on the net. Go outside and play with other kids, much healthier for you

18. OMGArsenal says:

Rocky…..You have summed it all up quite nicely…..well done. Santi is typically Arsenal class but i don’t feel any professional player has any obligation to speak about his future, just as he or she has no obligation to publicly reveal their salary or compensation information. That said, it is nice to hear a player like Santi reassure the faithful. The real question is; can we believe them?
    It really peeves me when they kiss the badge but then kiss the ass of their new masters, as soon as the transfer happens, often days after their faithless declaration of eternal love for Arsenal! that is hypocrisy, not self-preservation.

19. evonne says:

Bravo Rocky, I managed to miss Santi’s statement. Yes, he is a great guy, for now. But so were others that I had fallen in love with and was unceremoniously ‘damped’. So I refuse to write a song for Santi just yet

20. neamman says:

I don’t blame anyone for trying to better themselves, we all would move to a better job in a minute if someone doubled our salary. But a contract must be respected, if Santi or anyone got injured, Arsenal ..by extension we the fans, would pay their salary as per the contract. Therefore they owe it to us, whilst under contract, to be loyal. What would we do if we were footballers playing at Everton, not a team we support, if MU came in at twice the salary.. would we be loyal?

21. evonne says:

OMG – seems that the 2 of us had learned the lesson the hard way, Rocky is still away with the fairies.
    Another polish proverb – if you have soft heart, you must have a hard arse to take the kicking.

22. Gooner In Exile says:

I think Wrighty said during the Adebayor saga ( one of the few times I agreed with him)…he has just signed a contract for four years….and he was happy with the salary, you can’t decide you’re unhappy a year later.

Adams, O’Leary and many of the others documented by GN5 have all said how they walked in signed the new contract when they were offered it….what a different game when the player looked at the salary offered and said with thankfulness rather than disdain!

I would like to thank the good soul who purified the air!

GIE

I obviously understand where you are coming from and agree with the sentiment. But for balance, Tony Adams has since apologised to other Arsenal players of that era for accepting lower wages than he should have. By doing so Saint David Dein was able to use the Adam’s contract as a bargaining tool to keep the rest of the players wages down.

“Tony accepted it so it must be a good deal, unless you think you are better than Tony?”

The upshot is that many of them earned a lot less than they could or should have, hence the apology.

When there is no fish, crab is fish.

I still like this one.

Is it crab? Did I get that part right?

26. evonne says:

LB – perfect 🙂

27. Evening all(as Dixon of Dock Green would say) – thanks for the convo starter Mr Rock, but it seems to imply the post cupboard is bare. I’m sure I remember a while back Redders had a rota done for the summers posts and I was down for 1 back up post ?

Does that mean an other rant of mine is in order ? Shurely shome mishtake ?

28. Gooner In Exile says:

LB I understand where Tone was coming from but do you think many of his era questioned their salary? I’d guess even though we were not the greatest payers (even then we had our structure) they were still well compensated for their contributions.

The disparity between player and fan wealth is probably greater than it has ever been somewhere along the line footballers became too greedy. Fact is not one of those players was being forced to sign a new contract even if the wages were lower because of Tone’s loyalty…

Chary,

It’s a good time to rant as the profiles are not debate spinners.
    Vacant days are Monday’s, reserved for Rocky, leaving Fridays and Sunday’s open.

30. Peachy, I’ve put a 10 minute quicky in drafts for use in an emergency – it’s a bit rubbish but you can use it whenever.

Ah, I see N5, so it looks like you guys may have to suffer more of my mindless rants till the season starts. Just be grateful I haven’t incorporated any heavy metal into my posts…..yet ! 🙂

Morning Chas, then Exile then Evonne.

I’m getting bored of Arsenal for the summer. Time for action Stan, Ivan, Dick and whoever.

Give us a Sex Scandal or something. Get creative.

Ignore me, see if I care 🙂

………………. 🙂

Arshavin the poor sod on 90K a week “nearly suffered depression”, whatever that means.

Avoid newsnow we are linked to another half a dozen players today.

Have a nice one.

Ok Kelsey, if I really have to engage with you, I will 🙂

Give us some insider info. Anything, and for goodness sake Man, if you have nothing, then make it up!

Do you sleep in seperate bedrooms 🙂 or have you got a weak bladder 🙂

No more info Mickey I just get the distinct feeling transfers are like a game of poker these days and none of our targets are screaming to join us.

Porto Vecchio to Bastia

Morning Kelsey and DidIt

this is not good enough chas you are late.

I enjoyed that video you put up winning the Fairs Cup and noted how well Eddie Kelly played for us.

A dozen links? Excellent. Trouble is, I know not Newsnow, but unless you spill the beans, I might sign up 🙂

Driving back from airport yesterday, I tuned in to talk sport and they were discussing Moyes going back for Baines and Fellaini. Yuk and Yikes. Oh, and Baines for 10-15M. Now that has to be a snip if true, and if it’s not true, it’s still a snip 🙂

I saw your comment about the Fairs Cup link, Kelsey, but chose to ignore it. 🙂

Managers leave a club and so often when appointed to a new club,go back to buy the cream,. I think that rumour is feasable,Micky

Don’t go to Newnow, Micky. Your soul will be lost forever.

I didn’t really, Kelsey. I was pleased you and a few others enjoyed the clip; I always am when I share something and it gets a good reception.
    I’m not sure you could judge Eddie Kelly’s performance on those highlights though. Do you think his goal had a little deflection on it? It certainly left the keeper standing.

Weak bladder. Cheeky bastard. I have a steel-like constitution me, and as for the separate bedrooms, the answer is No, although I’ve always thought it a good idea. Old fashioned King style. Wife in one bedroom, mistress(es) in other(s).

Sadly, my Wife is one of those 21st Century types and doesn’t approve of that sort of thing.

My older bro was 16 and swears it was the best atmosphere at any game he’s been to.

Mistresses in another. Now that’s just plain greedy.

The new manc song for Moyes is to Cum On Feel the Noize.

“So come on David Moyes, play like Fergie boys, we’ll go wild wild wild”

They’re already worried that Gollum will change the way they play.

Ok, shall we say “same time tomorrow”?

Have a good day one and all.

Anybody ‘ere seen Kelly, K E double L Y

The atmosphere was electric,chas.

51. VCC says:

Chas, thanks for putting up that clip against Anderlecht. I was in the North Bank that night. Fantastic atmosphere, I can remember the north bank spilling onto the pitch after the final whistle. First and only time I ever stepped foot onto the Highbury turf. Happy, happy dayz indeed.

VCC. I was in the North BAnk for Anderlecht. Half way down and central. One of the best nights of my youth. I even got onto the pitch to celebrate (as well)

Sorry for the recent absence but back in the saddle from tomorrow

54. evonne says:

overslept and missed all the banter, damn!!

Don’t expect any transfer news DidIt, until AW and co come back from Glastonbury

Raddy, DidIt and Rocky – could you kindly liaise in the future when you take time off? Last week you all went away, abandoning your duties to the blog. This is unacceptable and should not happen again

55. VCC says:

Hi Big Raddy. …We could quite easily have rubbed shoulders that night. I was central and half way up. I lost my mate after the final whistle, everybody went mental. Never had mobiles them days so travelled back home alone, still sang all the way though and proudly waving my Red n White scarf. it certainly ranks high in my Arsenal memory bank.

Well that’s three of us that were there 🙂

Jealous of you Anderlecht veterans!

Time to vote on this weeks midfielders …….

……………………..New Post …………………