Wemberley ……

“Wemberly, Wemberley,  We’re the Famous Arsenal and we’re going to Wemberly” . We should be singing this song as we walk down Empire way to watch our heroes take on the mighty (but beatable) Borussia Dortmund.

Can you remember back to that Emirates night in February? ….. the manly Oliver Giroud strikes a sweet shot which is heading into the net but cruelly and very unfortunately hits Neuer’s leg, 3 minutes later Bayern Munich break, Mandzukic’s shot hits Sagna and bounces over Szczesny …. 1-3, when it should have been 2-2 and with Arsenal pushing for a winner.  Yes, we got trounced in the first half but were coming strong in the second, which became an Arsenal trait throughout the season.

Second leg, we gave them a lesson – yes, the finest team in the history of football were hammered in front of their own fans by a team which apparently was in terrible shape and about to disintegrate under their “hapless”manager who was clearly too long in the tooth to motivate his team. Had we scored one more we would have won the tie – and we could have. Then we would certainly have beaten a poor and dispirited RM in the semis.

Such are the vagaries of football. (Biased? Delusional? Moi?  😀  )

Instead we have an all German Final, and thank goodness for that. Both teams have been playing the best football in the CL this season, both play with a genuine passion without resort to theatrics, and both managers believe in the beautiful game. We have enjoyed the Spanish domination (well, some of us have) but their blatant cheating has finally received it’s due reward.  We are in the Audi era. Beautifully built, efficient, powerful and desirable.

BD have had over 500,000 ticket applications! The support of both teams is astonishing and they SING.

Unknown-1

Unknown-2

The loss of Gotze is a massive blow, both to BD and the Final. He is a wonderful player and will be missed, but what delights we have in store – there is hardly a player who is not top quality. From BD’s Lewandowski to BM’s flying Austrian baby FB, Alaba, every player is worth watching. BM’s midfield is just awesome – Schweinsteigger and Martinez – but so too is BD’s, who may have less famous names but nonetheless are hugely competitive.

This is Heynkes final game before the arrival of Pep, and Klopp is everyone’s favourite manager; that alone is interesting. Both will want to impress the billions of viewers. Both have teams with potent forward lines and players who can express the imaginative tactics of their respective managers. I think we are in for one of the best CL Finals ever.

Now for a German Explorer. Although the English discovered 95% of the World it did leave a few places for Johnny Foreigner to plant his flag, and Alexander Von Humboldt (1769 – 1859) did so with remarkable regularity. Take the places named after him – they are in all over the West Coast of USA USA, Venezuela, New Zealand, Greenland, Mexico, +++. There are National Parks named after him in Cuba and Peru. Simon Bolivar referred to Von Humboldt as “The real discover of South America”. Not only was this fellow an explorer he was also a hugely eminent scientist and wrote books (in particular The Cosmos) which are still referred to today.

Unknown

During his lifetime Humboldt became one of the most famous men in Europe and was feted wherever he went. He eventually became a diplomat and was a huge favourite of European royalty. Von Humboldt died at the age of 89 in Berlin.

Back to the football. Wembley is about to be occupied by the Germans tonight (no joke, please Raddy).  Thankfully we will not be treated to another appalling display of negative football that both Chelsea and Mourinho’s Inter Milan brought to the world’s biggest club game of the season – No, what we will hopefully see is the two best teams in Europe serving up a feast of attacking football.

My allegiance tonight is purely based on the fairytale of Dortmund’s rise in the face of the juggernaut of German football’s biggest club.

“Los gehts BVB, kampfen og siegen”

Written by Big Raddy

46 Responses to Wemberley ……

1. Hey Big Randy, that’s a top notch pre match with a touch of vorsprung durch technik thrown in. Like you I will be rooting for Dortmund, not just because they were the best fan’s I’ve ever seen at the Grove, but because today they play against the german equivalent of Scumchester United.

2. Kgooner says:

First!
    Like you br, i’m rooting for the good guys (BD). I read klopps interview with the guardian where he compared the CL final to a bond film. BD as bonda and bayern as the villain. We all know how that story ends and i’m hoping today will be no different. I cnt help bt admire the ‘fairy tale’ that borussia bring to the game and deep down i compare them to us (the english version). Ethics, young players and fan support. So a win for them is a win for us and an overall win for all the good guys in football.
    I expect a great game for neutrals and fans alike. Next time, its going to be us!

Pat on the back BR for the post. Am in the library studying for exams and the post was a pleasant distraction.

3. Red Arse says:

Excellento, Biggest Randy, 🙂

Good oldt Humboldt, I knew where my anchovies and sardines come from, but now I can put a face to the name and I got this strange upwelling, a bit like his current.

I would like Dortmund to win, but Bayern is a foregone conclusion — just like Man City versus Wigan in the FA Cup. 🙂

4. I’m Arsenal fans but i want bayernmunich to win the tie because three final in four years is not easy…please wenger buy quality players for us like 15 million plus..Up Gunners!!! +2348138444041

5. evonne says:

Excellent passionate write up, thank you Raddy. And extremely handsome explorer, my weekend started well 🙂

Today’s prematch is so good that I had an idea – why doesn’t Raddy also write PMs for Spanish games with animal cruelty as a theme, Italian with some tasty recipes, German with infamous characters and French with famous surrenders? Joking of course, but any blog from Raddy is a treat greatly received

Superb pre-match BR

It looks like you enjoyed writing this one, a bit of fun.

7. Fantastic Raddy, a really enjoyable read. How exciting to have a feast of football at our very own Wemberley, it’s going to be a great game which I hope BD win. I’m sure Klopp has been studying how we trounced BM in their own back yard 😉

8. evonne says:

why people want BM to lose? Because they are Bavarian?

9. Kgooner says:

@evonne because theyre the german oilers

This is from copied from ESPN,com

……………………………………………………………………………………..

May 251:26AM EDT

The Arsenal end-of-season awards

With the season over, Arsenal bloggers Andrew Mangan and Sam Limbert have collaborated to hand out their prestigious end-of-season awards.

PLAYER OF THE YEAR

AM — Santi Cazorla — Although he faded a bit towards the end, he got 12 goals and 13 assists and was the only player to appear in every Premier League game. A great first season in English football.

SL — Santi Cazorla — The Spaniard was a constant attacking threat and instantly became the creative hub of the team. He’s comfortably the best attacking player Arsene Wenger has signed in the last few years and, albeit a year late, filled the Cesc Fabregas-shaped hole in the middle.

RUNNER-UP

AM — Per Mertesacker — The big German established himself as the most consistent and reliable of Arsenal’s centre-halves, and even if Laurent Koscielny caught the eye in the final part of the season, Mertesacker’s consistency gives him the edge

SL — Per Mertesacker — I’m in agreement again because of how important Mertesacker is in leading the defence. For all of Arsenal’s defensive criticisms, they had the second best defence in the league and the best record away from home. Mertesacker has been at the heart of that.

GOAL OF THE SEASON

AM — Lukas Podolski v Montpellier in the Champions League — A brilliant volley from a Olivier Giroud pass.

SL — Lukas Podolski v West Ham in the Premier League — I was fortunate to be right behind this 30-yard rocket in the stands. One of the sweetest strikes of a football I’ve seen.

SAVE OF THE SEASON

AM — Wojciech Szczesny v QPR — A big, strong left-hand denied Loic Remy and saved Arsenal from dropping two points which would have proved fatal to Champions League qualification.

SL — Wojciech Szczesny v Manchester United — While not quite as vital as the Remy one, I loved Szczesny’s star-jump to deny Robin van Persie with his face.

BEST TEAM PERFORMANCE

AM — It’s hard to look past Bayern 0-2 Arsenal — not exactly the most thrilling, expansive game of the season, but to dig out that result under the circumstances at the time was fantastic.

SL — Dismantling West Ham 5-1 — undoubtedly the Munich performance was superb, but for the attacking play, I’ve chosen the home win against West Ham. The 15 minutes after halftime were the closest I’ve seen an Arsenal team be to the 2004 side in a long time. Almost every attack produced a goal.

MOST IMPROVED PLAYER

AM — Two winners for me: First part of the season — Carl Jenkinson, who looked to grow considerably as a player. Second part of the season — the much maligned Aaron Ramsey who proved his worth and without whose energy and work-rate the Gunners would have struggled to put that final run of games together.

SL — Theo Walcott is often an easy target for criticism, and did go through a lean patch during the season, but 14 goals and 11 assists in the Premier League and 21 goals in all competitions is a big improvement. He’s made some key contributions during the season.

BEST GAME

AM — Arsenal 5-2 Spurs — A second successive 5-2 win at home over the old enemy, made all the sweeter by an Emmanuel Adebayor sending off.

SL — Reading 5-7 Arsenal — The craziest match I’ve ever been to. During the game, everyone forgot it was a Capital One Cup fourth round match and was caught up in the emotions of an incredible comeback. Swung from the worst performance I’ve probably ever seen from a Wenger team to the one of the greatest away days possible.

DISAPPOINTMENT OF THE SEASON

AM — Going out of both domestic cups to lower league opposition. Once is bad, twice is just horrible.

SL — In agreement with Andrew. Having fought so hard to comeback against Reading, the Bradford exit was bizarre and so tough to take.

MOST ANNOYING MEME OF THE SEASON

AM — Arsene Wenger’s zip. Who cares?!

THE SO LONG AND THANKS FOR ALL THE FISH AWARD

AM — Shared between Andrei Arshavin and Sebastian Squillaci. Oh, and Marouane Chamakh. And Park Ju Young. And … *sigh*

THE ABOU DIABY GET WELL SOON AWARD

AM — Jack Wilshere’s ankle. Hopefully he can stay fit for the duration of next season.

THE MIKEL ARTETA BEST HAIR AWARD

AM — Mikel Arteta.

THE GERVINHO WORST HAIR AWARD

AM — Gervinho.

FLOP OF THE SEASON

AM — Thomas Vermaelen, from proudly becoming skipper to benched for the final few months.

DRIVER OF THE SEASON

SL — Andre Santos. His ban for speeding meant someone had to drive him out the club when he left.

MISINFORMATION OF THE SEASON

SL — Spurs fans believing Newcastle had equalised. It made that final 1-0 win that bit sweeter.

DANCER OF THE SEASON

SL — Per Mertesacker. It was technically in pre-season, but no one can rival Per’s shape-busting in Nigeria.

QUOTE OF THE SEASON

SL — Andre Villas Boas — “They are in a negative spiral in terms of results — and to be out of that spiral is extremely difficult.” In fairness to AVB, when he said this after Spurs won the North London derby to move seven points ahead of the Gunners, it was understandable given Arsenal’s run of form. However, the Gunners didn’t lose for the rest of the season after his wise words.

Raddy,

A superb post written with you typical flair. I prefer not to think about a German occupation or invasion, brings back long muted memories.

Both teams play the football the way us supporters love to watch, and I’m definitely Klip, Klopping along with the BD fans.

Just wish we were there – oh well, next season……………………

Excellent match report Raddy. I have a lot of time for German football and feel both of the teams deserve a lot of respect. There would be an extra romanticism attached to a Dortmund win but I reserve equal admiration for Munich. If you think about all the traditional Giants of European football I have always felt that Munich are a respectful club that aact in a very honourable way. As much as I have admired Barcas football over the last few years I can’t say the same about them, and don’t feel they are a partiularly honourable club in the way they behave.

GB. I agree. Any team with Alves and Busquets is open to scorn, which is not to say that Robben is Mother Theresa!

One only has to look at German ticket prices to see how they value their support – something the PL forgot years ago, and with the new TV deal will be of even less importance. Will the clubs reduce prices for the very people who keep them in business? Of course not, they will just waste it paying prima donnas who don’t give a tinkers cuss about their employers or their fans (do they, BSR?).

Wonderful BR!

“Although the English discovered 95% of the World it did leave a few places for Johnny Foreigner to plant his flag” 😀

15. duncan says:

How can the Team performance be against a weakened, disinterested and non motivational Bayern side.
    Our best performances were away against Liverpool and Man City.

16. Sherry says:

Hi everyone. I’ve been following this blog for about 2 months or so. After a few irregular visits in the first month, the next month I decided to be a regular visitor. This is a great blog you all run, with great articles and comments. After around 3 seasons I’ve been out of the Arsenal’s blogosphere since the blog I used to visit regularly was closed by the owner, I’m glad I found this blog to visit.

A good post you’ve written Mr. Raddy. I share the same feeling with you. It could’ve been us. Just one more goal in the second leg or a goal less against us in the first leg, we’re thru. Just how unlucky we were.

As for the CL final, I always love to root for the underdog team (as long as the other team is not us) but mostly will just enjoy the game.

Glad no Spanish teams are in the final, can’t stand to watch them.

Nice post Raddy 🙂

I would like BD to win to vindicate our result in BM’s own saurkraut and in any case I loathe Bavarians and leder hosen and all that.

18. Welcome Sherry, good to have you join us ….. we don’t always please everyone but we do try very hard to be an enjoyable place to visit.

19. evonne says:

Hello Sherry, great comment! Welcome to AA
    Yes, this is one of the best blogs
    Are you a man? Are you English? I know others would like to know, but they are English and therefore too diplomatic to ask 🙂

Greetings Sherry
    Are you a dry Sherry or a sweet Sherry?
    Either way it’s good to have your company 🙂

21. Gooner In Exile says:

evonne says:
    May 25, 2013 at 4:17 pm (Edit)
    “Hello Sherry, great comment! Welcome to AA
    Yes, this is one of the best blogs
    Are you a man? Are you English?”

HUSSY!!! 😉

22. Gooner In Exile says:

Welcome Sherry to the blog of fools 🙂

Raddy thanks for the pre match I’m For Ze Dortmund as the rotund Gernan chap sitting next to me last season in the Clock End said.

They were lovely fans and created a fantastic atmosphere, we chatted to a few pre and post match, one told me there were more Arsenal Members in Dortmund than any other city as they tried to secure tickets for the game, I asked how they could afford it and they explained our red membership was three home matches in Dortmund.

Looking forward to the game.

23. evonne says:

Nosey hussy 🙂

Heard somewhere that Everton fans don’t think Martinez is good enough for them. Interesting, I think he is good and getting better

24. Sherry says:

Thanks Peaches, Evonne, Rocky, GIE and all for the warm welcome! It’s good to get involve again on a blog with a bunch of sensible Arsenal supporters:)

Peaches: agreed, that’s why I chose this blog. I was a regular on The Gunning Hawk before it was -sadly- closed. I haven’t found since -IMO- other blogs that match it, until I found this blog.

Evonne: I’m very much a woman:), not an English.

Rocky: which one is tastier, dry or sweet? I’m the tastier one:D

25. Would anyone like the honour of writing a Happy 26th May post for tomorrow? I just checked and I wrote last years 😆

26. evonne says:

another girl, fantastic!! over to you boys

gosh, that’s good football from the German teams and especially the one with 3 Polish players

27. Doesn’t Wembley sound fantastic!!!!!!

‘especially the one with 3 Polish players’ 😉

Love the way Dortmund are playing with no fear …… hope they score soon.

28. Ribery is a pansy 😉

29. Twitter reckons Ribery should be off

30. evonne says:

yes Peaches, proper Polaks, not like Koscielny and Podolski, more like Szczesny and Fabianski 🙂

I only liked Ribbery when there were rumours he was coming to N5. At all other times I hate both Robben and Ribbery

31. Gooner In Exile says:

To be fair it’s not hardto hate either they make it too easy for us.

I hate seeingKeane on ITV…..especially when there are sycophantic jokes from Chiles:

“Did you ever injure anyone in the warm up Roy?”

“No”

“In the tunnel maybe?”

Chortle chortle, this is aman who admits to taking the field of play and going out to injure someone and we want his opinion?

Neuer is what you call a keeper

Mclaren on 5 Live” Riben and Robbery” (honest)

34. Sherry says:

2nd half and it’s still nil-nil. DB aren’t making it easy for BM.

I won’t mind if Klopp replaces AW when he’s retired

35. Sherry says:

*BD

36. Come on Dortmund ……. I bet Wembley is half rocking 🙂

37. Gooner In Exile says:

Bugger….really wanted Dortmund to win and it’s a real shame we have to see Robben score the winning goal.

Oh well at least we lost to the winners….and only by the one goal over two legs…..and still the only team to beat them in 2013?

That wasn’t meant to happen. Disappointing game in every aspect.

The thought that pissed me off was why, oh why couldn’t Robben have done that last year.

LB. Agree, instead those cloven-hooved inbreeds bored their way to success.

41. Adrian says:

I actually thought Bayern deserved it, though both bayern and dortmund played some absolutely amazing football. The starting 11 were absolutely quality for both teams and are much better than most of the teams in the epl. Both will be very difficult teams to beat and just shows how much better the bundesliga has beome.

42. evonne says:

How did Bayern deserved it Adrian, when Robben who scored the winning goal should have been sent off for elbowing Lewandowski in the face?

Robben is a wanker. Wanker with a lisp

43. evonne says:

I am delighted Froch won, rather than Dannish blue boy. Danes have already won the Eurovision, that will do them

44. evonne says:

just in case you didn’t already guess – Carl Froch is from a Polish-Jewish background 🙂 Great fighter

Evonne! Didn’t see the fight but Danish media say he was robbed!!

When is the Championship play-off?

New Post ………………………