Happy 26th May

Football is all about the creation of heroes.

When we think about how a game was won or lost we search for the person/people that affected the outcome. Last night Arjen Robben became a hero scoring in the 88th minute of a game that looked destined for extra time and penalties.

Last weekend Laurent Koscielny became our hero for scoring against Newcastle and securing fourth place for us.

All teams have their heroes, some can do it on a consistent basis whereas others just manage one moment that gets them into the history books.

Some footballers can by their own actions drive their team to victory and others that shoulder the responsibilty are unable to do so. Sometimes it’s down to the gods to smile on the winning side ……. it was meant to be.

On the 26th May 1989 Arsenal went to Anfield for the final game of the season. A win by two clear goals would snatch the title away from Liverpool and on that night the footballing gods were on our side. We were victorious and that team of heroes earned their place in Arsenal folklore.

Many of you might recognise yourselves or others in the following clip ………. enjoy.

Which games stand out for you where a hero was born? Or which of your heroes always pulled all the stops? Feel free to add video clips in your comments for others to enjoy.

Have a nice day.

Written by peachesgooner

32 Responses to Happy 26th May

1. Belfastgooner says:

Thanks Peaches fantastic memories. A few tweaks to the present squad and we’re back in business. Hopefully our favourite video will be one from next years end of season collection..

2. Gooner In Exile says:

Well done Peaches 🙂

Andy Linighan the most unlikiest of unlikely football heroes ever…..a player who had, until that goal, been rounded on by the fans. Tony Adams holding his arm aloft bringing him over to the Arsenal faithful as a reminder to all fans that today’s villains can be tomorrow’s heroes and as long as they sweat blood for the cause we should support them.

Take Koscielny, he who up until last season was seen as a calamitous defender by many fans all because he was involved in an untimely mix up with Szczesny in the CC Final. Shift forward two seasons and I hear the same reactionary Arsenal fans worrying that he will be bought by Bayern or Barca with their ageing centre backs.

It is not possible to watch that game or the second goal too many times.

Happy memories, thanks Peaches.

4. Gooner In Exile says:

First bit of sunshine and we’re all outside lapping up the rays.

Oh happy day!

Great memories. Can’t believe it was 24 years ago!

LB
    You’re so right.
    I can watch that time after time after time.

Odds are shortening on Rooney-to-Arsenal.

Probably doesn’t mean much, but I would quite excited to have an attack headed by Shrek. I suppose we’d learn to love him in time.

Oh well, I guess no-one wants to play 😦

Do I smell?

Peaches
    I got the comments into double figures 🙂

10. Hi
    Women’s cup final on bbc2 arsenal ladies are one up.
    Few fit birds playing
    Sheep

Hooray – I’ve got some company!

How are you Sheep?

What do you reckon on Ashley Williams? Would he be any good for us?

12. evonne says:

oooops, I almost forgot the significance of 26th May!! Not only it was a memorable victory for the Gunners, but it is a Mothers’ Day in Poland. I love 26th May! Thank you Peaches for the reminder

For me one of the most memorable moments was appearance of Bendtner as a sub and scoring against you know who within 1.8 seconds.

13. evonne says:

Rocky you silliness, of course it wasn’t 24 years ago! It was …like yesterday

I was away on a business trip in LA so I had no idea of the score until 4 days later, and it was a wonderful surprise to find out the result when I arrived home.

I have a video of the game and I cannot count the amount of times that It’s been viewed.

Tony Adams always looks so young, he was only 22 years old at the time.

And Bouldie had hair!

Well done to the Arsenal Ladies!

17. Williams gets good ratings every game for swans.
    Yes I’d sign him

18. Gooner In Exile says:

24 years ago.

Hmmm seems fitting that we should win the league on the Silver Jubilee of the occasion…..maybe we should have a silver away kit next season.

Rocky if we get Rooney I’m gonna say “You heard it here first” after my post on an Old Trafford rescue.

19. Shriek would do us a job thing is I HATE HIM

20. So Neymar is being signed by Barca, not a massive surprise, after a week of managerial merry go rounds we now have the start of the player movements

21. evonne says:

My source tells me that Jurgen Klinsmann is going to Everton and Cesc to Manyoo. I don’t believe either.

22. Off now with the ladies

23. Klinsmann is a bit old to play these days Evonne. 😀

Rumours on Cesc to ManUre grow, but if he goes it will show that money rules over everything else, not only to go and play for that lot, but also to play for Moyes a man he so spectacularly fell out with a few years back.

ManUre will sign Fellaini, not sure they need an attacking midfielder when you look at the likes of Kagawa, Rooney and Cleverly waiting to take the reigns from Scholes.

That said bearing in mind we have first refusal on Cesc, maybe we should buy him and then let ManUre pay a premium plus Rooney 😀

24. Ian Ure Face says:

What source is that e va va vonne ?…..HP…Heinz…Daddies ? hahaha

25. sai says:

Cesc going to Manure is all over the web. Well, just reading the rumour gives a heartache! Trying not to believe in these news widely speculated by media. But instincts are playing their bit since BSR left!

26. Gooner In Exile says:

This is the quality of football headlines and transfer gossip:

Arsenal midfielder Arsene Wenger has admitted his interest in signing Lyon’s 22-year-old midfielder Clement Grenier.

27. Gooner In Exile says:

Lots if cut copy and pasting means a never ending spiral of rumours can be created.

Another lovely day in London town …………

New Post …………………….

29. magnificent publish, very informative. I wonder
    why the opposite specialists of this sector do
    not notice this. You should proceed your writing. I’m confident, you’ve a huge readers’ base already!