27 and Counting: Man City preview

My initial thoughts about today’s game revolve about whether previous season’s games have any relevance to results. It is 27 games since Man City beat us at home – , can this really influence the match? Of course not, though it does give cause for optimism in a weird way for a supporter looking for comfort.

We like City fans (hopefully a couple will join us today) they combine humour with passion, and they really get behind their club. How would we respond if unlimited funds were poured into our club? Would  we despair and wish for “the old Arsenal back?” I think not  – to be able to have a choice of strike force of Balotelli, Tevez, Dzeko, Aguerro and Tevez must give enormous pleasure, and that is without the genius of Silva and Toure. Plus they happen to be the Champions which is fine by me – if it isn’t us let it be MC; better than the Chavs or the Surrey Reds.

Unknown

Don’t leave it so late this time, Mikel

But before I’m overcome by the wonder of City I should recall that we almost beat them in the away leg and did beat them at the Emirates last season. And we are on a long unbeaten run.

I expect a tight game today but City have some absentees (if only we had such a squad!). The Pine Rider is suspended following his pathetic assault  the other week, Toure is at the ACN, Richards, Maicon and Rodwell are injured but MC will still put out a €200m+ team.

For those with a statistical bent this is very interesting …

I have checked a few MC websites and almost to a man they swallow the AW out narrative. Sad but inevitable, especially when some of our own do the same. They are very confident of a win citing our inconsistency and in particular, last week’s away draw.

And what of our form? Questionable is my estimate. We should have won every game in December, instead we dropped relatively easy points – though S’ton’s improved form shows it was not such a disaster.

We have to sort out the midfield – not the personnel but the tactics; asking Arteta to play the defensive screen is not working particularly well, and Podolski looks far better playing further forward . Lukas was poor at St Mary’s – we need more from him.

My Team:

arse v city

I wouldn’t be surprised to see The Ox in place of OG and TW playing centrally but this smacks of negativity. We are at home, OG causes defences problems, Theo is better out wide.

I am looking forward to the Dzeko/BfG match-up. Two fine players.

Onto today’s explorer: Enough of the ice-boys, let’s get horticultural. One of our greatest unsung collectors and explorers came from the sunny climes of Cornwall: William Lobb (1809 – 1864).

Lobb spent his life collecting in South and North America walking thousands of miles through jungle, desert and mountains. His collection of seeds changed the face of the British (and European) countryside we see today. Lobb brought back: The Monkey Puzzle tree, The Wellington Sequioa, Delphiniums, the Douglas Fir  (plus lots of other fir and pine trees), countless flowers, the myrtle tree, some cedars and the barberis shrub.. He died in San Francisco from syphilis (hey, it happens!!).

images

Mr Lobb. Ozzy Ardilles Dad??

Today’s game has been written up as vital. Perhaps, but given our inconsistency who is to say that after beating the Champions we will not drop points to QPR? My point being that all the games are “vital” – they all offer the same number of points and let’s be brutally honest, how many of you expect us to challenge Man City for the title?

My hope is for an attacking, entertaining game and one in which we “play with the hand break off,” Oh, and no injuries or red cards and a loony (goal-less) cameo from the wonderful Balotelli.

Written by Big Raddy

343 Responses to 27 and Counting: Man City preview

Lovely, BR.
    I think Aguerro is out too. Let’s hope it helps.

Ozzie’s Dad, Mr Lazy Lobb died of syphilis. Hahaha, poor old thing.

Up the Arse.

Top pre match Raddy, the big question is which Arsenal will turn up?

Going by form in this kind of game I’d expect a similar performance to the away fixture which means it could go either way. With lady luck on our side and none of the silly defensive mistakes that have been a feature this season, a draw should be the lowest expectation.

Thanks to Mr Lobb for bringing back syphilis, I’ve got some in a vase in the kitchen … wonderful perfume 😕

3. Great pre-match Raddy and a horticulturalist for an explorer!!!!! 🙂

I hope we get a visit from some Man City supporters as they have added to the match day chat in the past.

We’ll be in The Arsenal Tavern from about 2 watching the Manks/Poo game so if anyone wants to pop in and say hello please do.

The snow’s on its way.

5. didit says:

Great PM Raddy. Thank you.
    As you keep getting 11/11 perhaps you could stretch yorself and name the subs!
    Is Chary on the bench today?

How far have you got Micky?

7. Morning Micky – nice to see you. What is your ETA? You should head to Cockfosters as the overground is messed up today.

8. didit says:

See you all there
    Kebab at 1/1.30 anyone?
    Text me.
    Enjoy the win everyone

9. Sheep Hagger ™ says:

Great read Raddy on a Sunday cheers.
    Wish I lived in north London I’d come to the tavern.

Just to meet u all and have a few shandys and a laff but there we are I’m in Wales.

I’m hoping we can win today and I’m expecting it .
    last time city beat arsenal away was ages ago I know that Bucks Fizz were top of the charts in that year.
    It was March 81.
    I nursed many old soilders who had that awful disease Syphills when I was doing my training and it a awful illness.
    Much love
    Sheep Hagger™

10. didit says:

Peaches
    Ive gone for Uxbridge. Next to M40 and on underground.
    Thanks to you and Evonne for offers of help.
    Bye for now.

11. Red Arse says:

BR, I enjoyed your gentle introduction to the City game! 🙂

I am concerned, however, by your predilection for dodgy explorers.

Having almost forgiven you for pinching the glory from a Yankee explorer, and given it to a Brit, you are now eulogizing another Brit explorer best known for pinching plants from South American gardens.

Have you no shame? 🙂

Uxbridge to Finsbury Park must be over an hour.

13. slime says:

If Giroud is out then I would love us to go Pod up top with Ox and Theo either side. It would give them a lot to worry about.

If we play like we did at there place then we win the game.

RA. Shame is one of the many wonderful things we Brits exported to the Colonies (alongside the “pox”).

So, No, I have no shame….

15. slime says:

Anyone seen the Mata or Rodriguez dives yday?

The Southampton one was embarrassing!

16. Sheep Hagger ™ says:

Ps face ache and I love the snow cock video

17. Fantastic pre match as ever Raddy. It looks like you gave them two Tevez’s though.

18. Red Arse says:

It is relatively quiet on here this morning so perhaps you will allow me to make a personal comment?

An ordinary AA bloggers lament!

Having kept my powder dry, regarding the recent unpleasantness, I was determined not to make a ‘knee jerk’ reaction, but to make a cool, clear statement, from the perspective of a regular AAer.

However, it seems that the subject has been well aired in my absence, so I will not disturb the bones of that, other than to say that my reasons for blogging on this site is because I enjoy chatting with decent, interesting, fellow Gooners, with so many refreshingly different opinions which are aired on all sorts of subjects.

I did not enjoy the recent discourse and a repetition will make me reconsider my options.

It really disturbed me that it only took the return of one person with his own agenda, couched in deliberately provocative and puerile bluster, to cause so much trouble. How he must have enjoyed that!

Remember, this had nothing to do with democracy or freedom of speech – it was a blatant attempt by an acolyte from another site to “educate” us and change the way this site operates into one of intolerance and division.

Appeasement in these circumstances is a sign of weakness, and not of rapprochement.

I enjoy blogging on AA. It meets a need that I, and many others have, which enables us to ‘meet up’ and discuss our successes and concerns, and have the occasional high jinks, and yes, even to respectfully disagree with each other from time to time.

A rare and wonderful site!

It is not acceptable for anyone to attempt to change that ethos to one of vilification and bile, such as we saw demonstrated, and I do not feel like apologizing for standing up to that, and I won’t!

It also explains my desire, and that of others, to defend AA from this unwarranted intrusion, and from someone who will not conform to accepted standards of behaviour.

And I will not apologise for that either!

It is unfortunate that some visitors cannot understand that, but they should go, with our blessing, and seek their ideal site elsewhere.
    I wish them luck with that.

NB,
    Terry, was unfairly singled out for special criticism.
    He is precisely the type of blogger on here who would feel personally hurt by the obtuse and critical comments that were made, because of his absolute belief in, and commitment to, Arsenal, Arsene Wenger, and the team, as shown by his never failing good humoured, effervescent and positive comments.

Good on you, Terry!!

Nice pre match as usual Raddy.

I wonder if this a game for vermaelen to shake off his drop of form and again i ask why has Arshavin completely been frozen out as we aren’t blessed with that many attacking options especially if giroud isn’t fit.
    Wherever theo plays his pace could provide us with a possible free kick near the danger zone or even a penalty if he is regaurded by City as our main threat.

20. Red Arse says:

Chas,

I have always been an admirer of your creative talents — a snow cock yet!! 😀

21. Kelsey
    As long as Theo doesn’t take all the free kicks

Morning Redders … flames … fanning? 😦

No-one on the admin side singled out TMHT.

We’ve received stick from all sides over this … its getting tiring.

GM. Good too see someone reads carefully. 😀

Kelsey,

Re: Arshavin

I read somewhere (forgive me for repeating paper talk) that his wages were based on amount of games played, or he got a specific amount added per game.

So maybe they are simply saving money.

Rasp. Next time I will take remedial action. OK?

RA,

As usual, thank you for the pre match.

My mum had a monkey puzzle tree – she never could figure it out.

RA:

Your 11:36 say’s what many of us think and feel but we do not possess your writing skills – well said Sir.

The Arshavin absence is a mystery, as is the lack of playing time for TR who IMO adds hugely to the team.

If OG is unfit then Pod in the middle with TR left and Theo right would be interesting

Great post Raddy. Not sure I agree with the Giroud over Theo up front bit. Giroud does give defenders a hard time but if there is 1 EPL defender that could likely deal with that comfortably it would be Kompany for me. I don’t see Giroud getting an edge on Kompany through physical measures and he lacks that bit of pace to get 1/2 a yard on him. Theo though will likely get 2-3 occasions when he gets 1/2 yard with his extra pace so I would go with him. I have actually found that when both are on the pitch together that they work well together but not always in the classic sense of the smaller quicker Theo working off the bigger target man Giroud. Sometimes we look more dangerous when Giroud comes slightly deeper and Theo stays highest up the pitch and I have actually been very impressed with Girouds link up play as much as anything else. I think we have good options to win this game but it depends which Arsenal turn up. Not there today so enjoy your day all you Taverners. Looking to get to a couple of forthcoming games so will look forwards to a catch up then.

30. Red Arse says:

Rasp,

I was actually being honest and telling the truth about my relationship with AA. We all need to stand up and be counted when unfair criticism is aimed at the site or its regulars.

That extends to my support and admiration of the ‘administration’, and I thought you would understand that.

I was not referring to you in supporting Terry. He was criticised by someone else. My loyalty extends to my friends when they are being unfairly castigated, and I will not let them stand alone.

Fanning the flames? I think a bushfire has been blazing for some time without my help.

Sorry to offend – unintentional! 🙂

31. VeraCruz says:

I would like to see diary play a part in this game at some point, specially after the break, he could add that extra that could make a difference, don’t know if he will be deemed fit enough though

Busy day ahead.
    Two soccer games, two NFL quarter finals and the Sony open from Honolulu. Between this I have to cook roast beef and yorkshire pud for the family.

Rough ole day……………….

Yes,definitely not to take free kicks GM

I doubt that is the case GunnnerN5. He was one of the highest paid earners and must still be on a pretty hefty wage.I can’t believe that we are literally saving pennies whilst others who don’t even feature are bench warming.

RA, I personally wouldn’t get involved in the rust debate and i don’t take offence if Rasp ignores me 🙂

GoonerB. You make a valid point, but I am an old fashioned chap and like my CF’s to be bigger than Theo.

VeraCruz. I would love to see Diaby play for 20+ minutes but not to start.

35. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Afternoon all,

Well done BR, top drawer as per usual. It also looks like Micky has got his way and influenced you on taking up a jungle explorer 🙂

I think Mancini might try throw us another curve ball… i expect Balotelli to start, and that is fantastic because Mr Sagna is waiting for him. WE DONT FORGET.

Redders, well said buddy.

Who is super confident today? ..Chas, anyone..? 🙂

kelsey. I don’t take offence when you ignore me either 😀

GN%. Sounds like a fab day. Hope you have a comfy armchair – one of those Lazyboys recliners would be nice.

Right. Food shopping to do then the MU 2nd half.

Ciao4now

37. Red Arse says:

GN5, 🙂

I haven’t been to Waikiki for 4 years. Your ‘busy day’ comment made me feel quite wistful!! 😦 Been very windy there for a while, I understand.)

If your cooking is as good as your stats schedules, I will have to try and wangle a lunch visit when I am better!! 😀

38. Well, here I am, so. Time for the first of my twice-yearly visits to your excellent site.
    Despite Raddy saying that ‘history’ isn’t a factor, I always approach this fixture with more than the usual trepidation. Which is why I have it logged in on site as a 1-1 prediction, with a second-case scenario of “One-nil to The Arsenal”. Mancini, I think will approach the game with a cautious, but hopefully not a defensive mentality.
    Hart + the back 4 are ‘a given’ – only quibble is “Les or Nasty” – my own vote would be for the latter as he’s quicker, has more intuitive positioning and is a more directional header of the ball. Milner would be the sensible option on the right of midfield, for his crossing and his work rate. Gazbaz who is presently playing his best football will be in the middle, with licence to roam with ‘Jerry’ Garcia sitting in. Silva and Tev are a must, leaving only the thorny question of Cavalier v Roundhead, Mad Mario or Edin. The heart says Mario, he’s due a big game; the head says Dzeko.
    On the bench, in the absence of Your Fave footballer (stupidly suspended), Yaya, Kolo, Micah and Kun we are a bit stretched. Aleks Kolarov is just back from injury – if Mario gets the nod he may just get in instead of James.. We may see a cameo from the talented Rekik or Denis Suarez if we are comfortable but that’s unlikely.
    Either way, hoping for another good game, like The Etihad last year – best game I saw all season (well, excluding the 6-1 against the swamp dwellers.)
    Best, cheers,

bluevalentine

39. Red Arse says:

Kelsey, 🙂

No one replies to you because your hair just entrances us!! 🙂

40. Red Arse says:

Hi Prince, 🙂

Like GN5 I am just settling in for a tough afternoon of sport — watching!! No lunch organized tho’!

41. Red Arse says:

BlueV, welcome 🙂

Always good to see you.

I am hoping for a cracking game too, and I hope you win the Premiership, again, but this afternoon — I need us to win — you don’t need it as much as we do!!! 😀

42. Nice to see you bluevalentine. may the best team win (us) 🙂

43. Sorry, meant “logged in on OUR site – http://www.izzett.com. Also, I think of we took a poll on’ izzet’ it would not result in an ‘AW out’ vote. Most of us are admirers of the Prof and of the way he has got Arsenal playing football. What do the doubters want – Tony Pukis? ‘Appy ‘Arry?

44. 12:30 already. I better get off my arse

I know we need to put the subject to bed, but on that subject I did attempt to reason with said person but I don’t think it had any positive effect. I don’t actually believe that I or any other reasoned debater on here could say anything that would change that persons approach.

If I was reading between the lines I don’t actually believe that the individual in question actually enjoys this site and its style and has little or no time for those who regularly read or comment on here. My feeling was that each post was designed to antagonise as oppose to provide and engage in reasoned debate, more to pick a fight if you like. I can fully understand why some regulars reacted to this and the reality is that if someone came on here to pick a fight with 2-3 regulars then we cannot be surprised when they fight back.

There for me is the distinction and the key question, was it reasoned debate that person was after or was it to antagonise and pick a fight. If it was the former then yes it would be unfair to put that person down. I don’t believe it was though and it was the latter that he was after. I think Rasp and Peaches acted with great decorum and diplomacy in this circumstance and TMHT is one of the best and most humerous of bloggers on this site who I have had nothing but respectful dialogue with even when we have disagreed. Those that felt a bit bad about it even seemed to understand a bit more once they learned there was a prior history here, and I would like to say that they are all individual valuable and intelligent bloggers so I would urge them to continue with their input on this site.

The person in question is probably loving more than anything any divisions he has created so as such I would ask all AA’ers to stay strong. United we stand, divided we fall.

Sorry Rasp for bringing it up 1 last time. i promise I won’t do it again. I will get back to extended essays on tactics henceforth.

😛 GoonerB

Welcome again bluevalentine. There’s a lot resting on this game for both teams – shame we can’t both pick up the 3 points. I agree a draw is the most likely outcome and wouldn’t be a disaster for either of us.

47. Rasp, yes it’s the only occasion in the year when I want the teams in one match both to lose and the teams in the other both to win. In a perfect world…
    I’d happily take the draw if the Bin Dippers beat The Swamp Dwellers

48. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Hi bluevalentine,

You made me fall off my chair when you said that those 4 outs “have you guys stretched.” haha I thought Mancini had 3 men for every position. (excuse the pun)

Good luck today (not), and tell mad mario to keep his studs to himself the dirty bugger.

BV. Welcome back.

off subject, we had just started to talk Lowden when you disappeared! I have L27FC which was the forerunner of the F35.

Just about to buy a 6 year old cedar top Takamine. Would that be a mistake -it is reasonably priced at under £400?

Kick off at the Old Toilet. Let’s hope both teams lose, but in that unlikely event a draw would do – unlikely with MU having their 12th man

V. quiet today. Pre match nerves?

51. Sheep Hagger ™ says:

Rwy’n casáu u dyn. ac mae’n rhaid iddo sgorio ar eu cyfer. dod ar pwll.

Sheep Hagger ™

Hi Raddy, your Lowden must have cost a pretty penny – do you prefer them to Martins? I only ask because a friend of mine has a Martin and it is the best instrument I’ve ever played and that includes some of the top range Gibsons.

Hes yn fradwr 2 wynebu yn sicr

54. Red Arse says:

Good grief, Rasper, are you a closet sheepy too? 🙂

55. Sheep Hagger ™ says:

I agree rasp can u speak Welsh.

How does a Welshman find his sheep in the grass?

Irresistible!

🙂 sheepy, only with the aid of google translate

Rasp. I bought it in 1988! Cost a couple of weeks wages at the time. Could never afford one now.

As to Martins, well I like them of course but I prefer the fuller sound of the Lowden. Top of the range Taylors are the closest I have heard but then very few people have guitars that cost a few thou and as such I have little experience.

As I recall BlueValentine had a slew of fine guitars and I was hoping for some input.

Yet another lovely finish from BSR. Sickening

59. Sheep Hagger ™ says:

A prominent Welsh minister travelling home one night was greatly annoyed when a young man much the worse for drink came and sat next to him on the bus.

“Young man,” he declared, “do you not realise you are on the road to perdition?”

“Oh, Hell,” replied the drunkard, “I could have sworn this bus went to Llanelli.”

60. I saw a Welsh guy frothing about in a hot tub with two lookers……….oops, my mistake…….. it was a sheep dip !.

Splendid BR ( as always).

I feel confident of a good performance today but not necessarily a good result (although I wouldn’t be at all surprised if we win). We tend to ‘turn up’ for games against the top clubs.

Blueval – nice to see you again.

Oh bolleaux, I’ve just seen Manure go 2-up.

62. Red Arse says:

Sheepy,

Either you have pinched that joke from GN5, or you actually can write in normal English.

ps do face ache no yu can spk in tungs?

much love from other sheeps

63. Red Arse says:

Zimmerdine – wind? 🙂

Q. What do you call a sheep without any legs?
    A. A Cloud

65. Sheep Hagger ™ says:

Yes RA I can write in normal English,face ache can also speak welsh.
    Look

Rhys: Doctor, I can’t stop singing the Green, Green Grass of Home.

Doctor: That sounds like Tom Jones syndrome.

Rhys: Is it common?

Doctor: It’s not unusual.

Why do Welsh horses run so fast?
    Because they have seen what the farmers do to the sheep!

67. Red Arse says:

That’s what I love at the circus, Rasp — all those clouds running around, honking and throwing water at people!

Bit harsh on sheepy tho – left him without a leg to stand on!! 🙂

68. Big mistake last Halloween, I picked a sheep costume to go trick or treating around The Mumbles ( Mwmbwls ), knocked on a door and a guy opened the door naked with a stack of doughnuts and said come in, I`ve been expecting you !.

69. Red Arse says:

Zimmy,

Is he the one who has a whole load of doughnuts on his john thomas?

70. Red Arse says:

Since Sturridge came on the ‘Pool have looked a different team!!

Some breaking news to bring you. Police have found what they describe as a “suspect package” in a car park close to the Emirates Stadium and have cordoned off the ground prior to the Premier League match between Arsenal and Manchester City.(BBC)

Wales, where the men are men and the sheep are nervous…

Although Anthony Hopkins is welsh, he’s never been accused of sheep shagging – It’s all down to the silence of the lambs.

A welshman, a sheep, and a dog were survivors of a terrible shipwreck. They found themselves stranded on a desert island.

After being there a while, they got into the habit of going to the beach every evening to watch the sun go down. One particular evening, the sky was red with beautiful cirrus clouds, the breeze was warm and gentle; a perfect night for romance.

As they sat there, the sheep started looking better and better to the welshman. Soon, he leaned over to the sheep and put his arm around it. But the dog got jealous, growling fiercely until the welshman took his arm from around the sheep. After that, the three of them continued to enjoy the sunsets together, but there was no more cuddling.

A few weeks passed by, and lo and behold, there was another shipwreck. The only survivor was a beautiful young woman, the most beautiful woman the welshman had ever seen. She was in a pretty bad way when they rescued her, and they slowly nursed her back to health. When the young maiden was well enough, they introduced her to their evening beach ritual. It was another beautiful evening: red sky, cirrus clouds, a warm and gentle breeze; perfect for a night of romance.

Pretty soon, the welshman started to get “those feelings” again. He fought them as long as he could, but he finally gave in and leaned over to the young woman, cautiously, and whispered in her ear…

“could you take the dog for a walk?”

73. He was naked Redders !, where else would he stack them ?. Thats why they`re Ring doughnuts !.

kelsey, where did you see the report of the ‘suspect package’, there are friends at the game who I should inform.

75. Red Arse says:

But you said he was Welsh Zimmer — you never know, don’t they have little things?

it is on Live Football on the BBC football web page,Rasp

77. No wonder they`ve got The Mumbles then !.

BREAKING NEWS

Regarding that breaking news earlier (1501 GMT), police have now lifted the cordon around the Emirates Stadium and allowed access to the stadium for today’s game between Arsenal and Manchester City.

An Arsenal spokesman has confirmed that “police checks” were being carried out. However, the match will kick-off at 4pm as planned.

panic over

Walcott starts as lone striker.Diaby starts

TEAM NEWS: Diaby set to start against City

Arsène Wenger has made four changes to his side for this afternoon’s match against Manchester City at Emirates Stadium.

With Mikel Arteta out injured, Abou Diaby will come into Arsenal’s three-man midfield to play alongside Santi Cazorla and Jack Wilshere.

The France international has been out of action since September 29, but is restored straight to the starting XI against the Premier League champions.

Elsewhere, captain Thomas Vermaelen returns the heart of the defence at the expense of Per Mertesacker, Lukas Podolski replaces Aaron Ramsey and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain comes in for Olivier Giroud.

Team in full: Szczesny, Sagna, Koscielny, Vermaelen, Gibbs, Diaby, Cazorla, Wilshere, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Walcott, Podolski.

Subs: Mannone, Jenkinson, Santos, Mertesacker, Ramsey, Coquelin, Giroud.

80. Red Arse says:

Team

Chezzer, Sagna, Kosser, Ox, Vermaelen, Gibbs, Walcott, Diaby, Cazzorla, Wilshire, Pod.

All clear at the Ems, according to BBC

Just in case you didn’t hear Kelsey the first time 🙂

83. Raddy,
    Sounds like a fair price. I presume there’s a pick-up/pre amp? Taka electronics were always very good. And I love cedar tops, for the warm sound.
    I have made a couple of changes to my collection. Flogged the Santa Cruz OM/PW which I bought cos I thought I’d like a Santa Cruz but gave me no more satisfaction than the footballer of the same name. Then I bought an all-solid Cort dreadnaught for a knockdown €375, only guitar I’m not paranoid about getting trashed.
    Currently my fave luthier is Frantisech Furch of Czech (also makes guitars under the name of Stanford and Stonebridge). Bought a 000-sized beauty with a slotted headstock, walloped the pants off a Martin 000-42 I played recently. I already have a guitar of his a 12-fret pre-war Martin D28S copy, an absolute cannon of a guitar.

Rags v Pool game is poor, RVP’s goal apart. Pool were rubbish until Sturridge came on. Still hoping. Maybe a wee dram of Glendronach 12 will bring a result. I’ll try it, can’t hurt.

Rasp, most of the top makers produce good-to-great guitars. Sometimes they make special ones and it’s not always the most expensive in the line. Sometimes, unfortunately they make dogs. I’ve owned 3 Lowdens in my time, one brilliant, one bloody good and one rabid mongrel. Sorry, 4, there’s a 12-string, from the days when George Lowden was getting them made by Kiso Suzuki in Japan that I wouldn’t swap for the world.

Bloody hell, United under the cosh (pours another Glen D).

Thanks BV, at the end of the day it is a very personal thing, sometimes a guitar just seems to sing to you and play itself I find.

Tommy Emmanuel loves that beaten up old acoustic he uses (bit like Rory Galagher and his tatty strat) I had to sell my vintage strat a couple of years ago, a pal has lent me a modern one but its not the same 😦

That’s a very strong line up, Giroud on the bench so we have options

86. Sheep Hagger ™ says:

Glad the BFG is not playing he’s to slow ,against city epically
    As they have quick runners.

Up the ARSE.

87. QUOTE:
    kelsey says:
    January 13, 2013 at 3:04 pm

Grief, not more returned tickets?

Blueval 😀

Message from peaches on her way to the ground ……

… Can we have a volunteer for the match report please? 🙂

90. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

COYRRG!!

Really hope Diaby sees out the game

Don’t let diaby take free kicks or shoot,we have to protect those muscles lol

92. Adrian says:

Cmon Arsenal!!

OK, let’s see some urgency from the start, we can’t afford to start this game slowly….

Come ón you reds

95. oz gunner says:

thanks again BR, rock solid as always.

Glad to see you back BV

96. oz gunner says:

WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

A red are you kidding me!!!!!

97. Adrian says:

WTF Mike Dean?

98. oz gunner says:

its pay back for Mario.

SZCZ my hero!!!!

99. Adrian says:

BEAUTIFUL BY SCZESNY!

100. oz gunner says:

This is where we miss Song. He could slip into CB seamlessly

Oh dear…………..

102. oz gunner says:

is a penalty not enough for that???

103. Adrian says:

The Ox for mertersacker… sigh.

104. ces1ne says:

Szczesny, I love you…….Mike Dean, why am I not surprised???

105. Adrian says:

One thing though, glad to see the Emirates crowd being really vocal today in spite of the red card. Great atmosphere.

What a complete cretin Koscielny is – where’s his composure? He owes the rest of the team a huge apology

107. Adrian says:

Would have preferred Diaby to make way for Mertersacker instead of the ox..

Will the team dig in – or will they give in?

Apparently Arteta did his hamstring in training yesterday … red zone?

110. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

it was def a foul, but what really grinds my gears is that we see shirt pulling and fouls of that nature in the EPL every week..

Consistency is a word that is missing in the referees manual

111. Sheep Hagger ™ says:

Captain slow is on watch them out run him .

Keown’s saying he shouldn’t have been sent off – but if you do that in the box you run the risk. Better to concede a goal than be down to 10 men with 80 minutes left.

113. oz gunner says:

Touch harsh Rasp, i didn’t think he could do much else in that situation, he lost dzeko. He most definitely should not have been carded

114. oz gunner says:

Garcia you mug!

Silly from Kos.

If we get out of this with a point I will be delighted

I’m just going on reports from those at the ground. Kozzer does have a habit of lunging in I’m afraid. Maybe he shouldn’t have been in that position in the first place, I’ll wait to see slo mo reports

117. Adrian says:

And we’re down by 1.. could be a long 70 minutes..

We hear a lot about our mental strength from the boss, let’s see if they’re empty words?

Thanks Mike Dean you utter plum.

120. oz gunner says:

what a joke finish. That toon reject.

121. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

MIKE DEAN IS A FUCKWIT

i am livid

oK, maybe this will focus AW’s mind on the need for reinforcements in January?

123. oz gunner says:

Zambaletta is a psycho, reminds me of his tussles with Sagna.

Man city must have filled deans pockets with oil dollars

You can see that Diaby is not match sharp…

125. oz gunner says:

I hope so rasp, Mbiwa will do just fine. A DM who can play CB

Is Diaby playing?

127. Rhyle says:

Have been very unwell for a while and this is what greets me for my first game back…atrocious…Mike Dean does NOT wave play on, they take the advantage, lose it and still get a free kick? How did it come across on Sky?

128. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

If we are to peg em back, than Gibbs will have to put in a double shift. Likewise Poldi with defence. I cannot see anything happening on the right. We also need the crowd to be our missing man. This is gonna be tough but with the fans backing we can pull a draw.

129. Why does Gibbs always seem to leave so much space for their attack on his side of the back line?

Oz, we’ve got 3 very good CB’s but not one of them is of ‘exceptional quality. My choice would be for a strong, hard tackling DM if we buy anyone and Mbiwa could fit the bill …. but we all know it wont happen.

131. oz gunner says:

Verm is going to put in a double shift and get forward often, the man has heart that’s for sure

Rhyle. Isaw it as you did. Dire from Dean.

Terrible from Gibbs and awful defending.

Come on boys, this could become embarrassing

133. Adrian says:

I agree about Diaby not looking match fit, he should’ve went off instead of the ox.

134. oz gunner says:

I disagree Rasp, i think Kozzer is exceptional when on top of his game, Verm is slowly clawing his way back to the form we all know he is capable of and BFG is very solid. I think it’s our strongest position atm

135. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

well done poldi

136. Red Arse says:

Every referee since Henry took that quick free kick years ago, always holds up the whistle, and does not let teams take quick free kicks — except Dean.

Why did he allow such a weird ‘advantage’ leading to their goal anyway.

This could end up badly!!

We have to keep the score down – goal difference may really make the difference at the end of the season.

oz, I don’t think we have exceptional quality in any player except perhaps Santi, and Jack and the Ox in time. We are an average side and a poor side by our own standards.

JW is taking a battering and Dean is letting it go.

Not saying we would be winning with 11 v 11 but right now it is 10 v 12

140. Red Arse says:

Now dean holds the whistle up — when it is OUR free kick!

BR – With Dean on the pich it has nevert been 11-11

142. Adrian says:

Brilliant Diaby, absolutely brilliant. 3 teammates in the box and a great chance to cross from the side of the penalty box and he blasts it wide.

143. oz gunner says:

He never gets looked after BR. He gets battered more than anyone else in the league hands down.

I’d stick Giroud on, it’s our only way to claw back into it via a set piece or crosses. We aren’t going to hit them on the counter because they won’t commit numbers forward

144. Sheep Hagger ™ says:

Mertersacker keeps ending up on the floor all game.

Has he been on the Wacky baki.🚬

145. oz gunner says:

It astounds me RA, ‘oh i made an error, better do this one right!’

146. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Oz, Agree with the Giroud call. Time to play ugly like stoke and see what happens

147. oz gunner says:

Only if santi is taking the set pieces though. I’d rather not see the team set up only to have theo miss everyone

148. Kgooner says:

Home crowd is disappointing. 😦

149. Gooner In Exile says:

Niall Quinn “jumping to head the ball is the easiest thing”

He know this as he was once out jumped by Paul Parker for 90 minutes.

150. Arsene looks like he could kick something at half time! I hope it’s some of the players’ asses.

TV gets carded for the same type of tackle as Kompany made on Pod. Both or neither.

We have been a long way second best since the red card which ruined any chance we had.

City are in 3rd gear

Sorry, but the Giroud calls are all wrong.

City are the best in the league at defending in the air.

Out best (only) bet is Theo and Pod on the break. Or some magic from Santi or Jack.

Let’s see what AW’s team talk can do to change things at half time

154. oz gunner says:

The thing that annoys me most is refs being above reproach. A howler like that and string bean dean will go home without even a slap on the wrist from his superiors. How can refs make mistakes (sometimes absolute shockers) yet ref big matches the week after. If they stuff up they should be send back to the championship for a few weeks as punishment.

155. Gooner In Exile says:

Boos for the ref kgooner.

If we go in 1-0 crowd would be better….dead game now unless we can find someone to hold ball up top.

How about:

Sagna…BFG..TV…Gibbs
    Theo……..Diaby…….Jack
    …………Santi
    ………….…Pod

156. Red Arse says:

Disappointing!

It would be unfair to pick on any one player, with the handicap of playing with 10 men.

But — I cannot believe the tactics we employed.
    Immediately throwing caution to the wind after going down to 10 with 80 minutes still to play was foolhardy.

Gibbs consistently haring upfield was not right. We should have settled into a 10 man defensive set up, and tried to pinch the game near the end.

I know, I know, I have fook all idea of tactics!

157. Adrian says:

If we are to avoid any embarrassment, the players have to show more desire and improve their workrate.

It’s damage liability time, that the best we can hope for and move on to the next game.
    not the first time Kos has been too rash and it was right in front of the ref.
    Agree that Wilshere is being chopped to pieces but Theo looks completely lost up front.
    Podolski is trying his best.
    Don’t expect City to over exert themselves in the second half.
    Shame I was looking to see a good game .

159. Red Arse says:

GIE,

We have no presence up front. Rocky made the point that playing Giroud, instead of Theo, would not be right — playing Theo is not right either.

Anyway, I suspect contract negotiations are dictating that.

160. Ooops, blushing.
    But your man Kosher really is a silly boy. A tug on the shirt would have sufficed, not the full monty Twickers and he’d probably only got yellow. I can’t see how anyone can blame Dean, much as I dislike him.

161. oz gunner says:

Agreed RA.

Tactics at Arsenal? one day maybe

162. ces1ne says:

I envy all of you not in the US bc you dont have to watch/listen to the clown crew of Warren Barton, Eric Wynalda, Mcbride, & the little annoying other guy on FSC all the time. They really do nothing for exposure of football here in the states, plus the bias & little jabs against AFC is borderline embarrassing…..not that we do ourselves too many favors lately 😦 The amount of games we get over here is nothing short of amazing, but they need to do something about the “faces/voices” they use.

163. Gooner In Exile says:

I just don’t see it as a red BV, penalty without doubt…..clear goal scoring opportunity? Very hard to say on that evidence.

You are absolutely right RA. When you go down to 10 against another top team you need to get into a mind frame of scrapping til the end and that means periods of the game of keeping it tight and being highly focused. If you keep yourself in the game til near the end you just never know. We don’t seem to have an understanding of how to switch to a different game plan as the circumstances require. Having said all that the refereeing decision there is a joke which I will elaborate on later after the game..

165. ces1ne says:

One day I’ll get my (2-3 years running now) wish of either TV or Kozzer in the DM slot….1 day.

166. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Bring on Kanu

167. VeraCruz says:

Just left work and was unable to follow the game, only know that we are 2-0 down, how did that happen?

Adrian. It is not a question of effort or desire. It is:-

10 v12
    Diaby should be on the bench and TR playing
    MC are head and shoulders better than us

169. oz gunner says:

Don’t ask Cruz!

just in case: red for kozzer->penalty save->dean is a w*nker->fluke strike by milner->dzeko tap in

170. Adrian says:

Some teams that go down to 10 men dig deep and actually play as if they have 11 with their improved work rate and effort, unfortunately the Arsenal in the first half resembled nothing like that, Even in 50-50 tackles the Man City players still look like they want the ball more,

171. ces1ne says:

Jack trying to be our engine & creative force at the start of the 2nd half, needs help/support tho.

172. ces1ne says:

Where oh where has my Rosicky gone? Where oh where could he be?

173. Red Arse says:

This is a double edged sword of a comment, but the City players are just better than ours today, but at least we won’t have to worry about the Manc clubs coming to buy our best players in the Summer!

174. oz gunner says:

there need to be a ‘tunneling’ rule brought in. Milner should not be able to go underneath Gibbs when he jumps for the ball. It’s ridiculously dangerous and other sports have banned it because of serious knee injuries

175. Adrian says:

WHY PODOLSKI? Why not Diaby who is ovbviously not 100% match fit? Diaby is really rusty so far, would rather we try to throw in Giroud for him and try to nick something out of the game.

176. If all the other players adopted Jack Wilshere’s spirit, we could get a draw out of this !

I agree Adrian, nonsensical !!!!!

178. This referee is not real. Why book Walcott?

179. oz gunner says:

bloody kompany, giroud had that.

6 million for Kompany, I still can’t stomach that!!!

180. Gooner In Exile says:

Sorry Dean is having an absolute mare the most bias refereeing performance I have seen all season. Joke

181. oz gunner says:

i think it was for jack TC

How mnay fouls is that by Dzeko? Still no card.

Dean will be going home in his new Ferrari

183. Adrian says:

Apparently we’ve only won 1 out of 16 games that were refereed by Mike Dean or something.

184. Gooner In Exile says:

And it’s not like he isn’t making the calls he jut needs to get his yellow out as keenly as he got the red out for Koscielny, Jack has been rotationally fouled by their midfield.

BFG is having a horrible game

186. oz gunner says:

Szcz again, that bloke is a champion!

@ BR

along with a life time supply of petroleum

187. Gooner In Exile says:

That’s about right Adrian, he let one go earlier this season and we actually won when he reffed, he is a crap ref and a ****

188. oz gunner says:

come on giroud that is bloody piss poor! it’s what you’re there for!!!
    unmarked, couple metres from goal…not good enough

189. Giroud missed a sitter there!

Oz. The ball was behind him. Difficult chance

Adrian:

In the last 44 games that Dean has been our ref we have won 15 lost 11 and drawn 18.

192. Gooner In Exile says:

Finally

193. Adrian says:

Red card for Kompany? Surely Mike Dean is feeling guilty.

194. Sheep Hagger ™ says:

Get off Kompany

195. slime says:

Quite proud of the lads so far tbh.

Mike Dean has just embarrassed himself by sending off 2 players today. Awful.

196. oz gunner says:

come on guys push!!!

How different it’d look now if giroud had scored that sitter!

Don’t think that was a red either. Shame it is so late in the game.

198. oz gunner says:

agreed Slim, i think they’ve done well given the circumstances

199. Adrian says:

If we were United you can bet your last penny that Mike Dean won’t be refereeing any of our games for a while.

200. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Im sorry but that was not a red for Kompany. Im not complaining but lets be real.

Mike Dean is an acolyte for Fergiescum

201. oz gunner says:

I think it looked worse in real time BR, def not red. nice evener given kozzer’s dubious one

202. Jack has suffered for the cause. Hope it gains us a point at least. 🙂

203. slime says:

Never seen a game so ruined by a ref.

204. Kgooner says:

I retract my earlier comment. Lets try win this. Yes win!

205. dandan says:

Rasp among all your gloom at least you got a positive answer to your
    Question at 4.21.

206. slime says:

Not really an event when our players have had to chase shadows for 70 minutes.

The Kozzer sending off is just awful refereeing, but not necessarily from Mike Dean. He has stuck to the letter of the law, and it’s the law that needs changing. How can that crime (holding) deserve a red and a penalty!? It doesn’t fit. There needs to be some common sense brought in to refereeing.

207. oz gunner says:

again against jack…jesus christ

208. Red Arse says:

Cannot fault the lads for their sheer effort in this half.

Sometimes the ball just does not run for you!!

209. dandan says:

slime; holding and pushing in the area should in my opinion always be a penalty but not a red card. they would soon stop doing it

210. oz gunner says:

mario should be given red for sporting that hair do.

What’s the verdict GM?

211. Gooner In Exile says:

According to 442 app, JW has been fouled 7 times of the 17 times we have been fouled. Man City in total fouled 11 times. Targeted!

212. oz gunner says:

lescott noooo!

213. oz gunner says:

Amazing stat GiE

214. ces1ne says:

Can just imagine what Jacks legs/ankles look like after these 90 minute “Hack-A-Jack” games that opposing teams play!!!

215. oz gunner says:

oh well can’t fault the boys effort today, proud of them. Just a shame to have a game that promised so much ruined so early on.
    On to smash swansea midweek.

Well done lads

216. oz gunner says:

a lot of ice baths and rub downs i’d imagine cesc1ne

217. Thank goodness we didn’t get stuffed today. City did everything that they were set up do. Good luck to them.

218. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

If there was ever to be some bullshit black bin bag protest again, i would hope that it would be to unite and fight against the corruption amongst referees in the EPL. it stinks

219. Kgooner says:

Table looks grim, 4,5,6,7 are too close. We need to pull a surprise. The team put in a good shift in the 2nd half. They should replicate that energy nxt week with 11 men. Up the arse!

The best team won. They had help from a dreadful ref but we created very little.

Thanks Mike dean for ruining what should have been a good game

Now we have another 2 tough games this week.
    I worry for jack, he was totally pissed off at the end at with one or two of his team mates.Santi was hardlty noticeable.

If only we added a couple of players NOW

222. slime says:

Assessing our play today is pretty pointless. We had 10 men for 80 minutes! We did all we could which was battle hard and hope for luck. Unfortunately we didn’t get any. Going to be tough to get 4th, but a lot will happen between now and the end of the season.

223. Adrian says:

Diaby IMO was a very poor selection from the start even with 11 men, it was very obvious he was nowhere near match fit. Would rather start Ramsey than him for a big game like today’s game.

224. Well, we all knew Jasper Carrot was going to even things up. What took him so long?
    What was it, 7 yellows, 2 reds, one daft, one debatable. Refereeing gone barmy.
    A potential classic ruined by stupid over-zealous officials. But have to say I’m so grateful just to have the 3 points. Phew!
    Didn’t get Dzeko as M-0-M on Sky. Milner or Zabaleta for me, or Kompo before he got sent off.

anyone want to comment about walcott ? he isn’t ready for a central role against the big guns IMO

226. Adrian says:

Walcott is NOT the only solution, hoping Wenger signs a player or two before the transfer window closes.

Been driving home so missed the 2nd half, couldn’t listen to the radio. It appears we showed more spirit in the 2nd half.

I’m not doing widgets for city, but I’d imagine chas would give their assists to Dean.

The sad fact is that we are looking for spirit because we lack top quality in many positions. Tell David Moyes that he has no chance of competing because the top 3 teams have buckets of money.

We continue to under-perform and consistently start games slowly, without rhythm or commitment. We do have good players but we are an average team.

228. slime says:

What’s Walcott supposed to do against Kompany and Nastasic when every ball near him is head hight? He got a chance and did everything right, only for Lescott to clear.

I think this answers your question in the pre match BR! Previous results mean nothing when someone gets sent off after 10 minutes! 🙂

229. Walcott has always looked very ordinary to me, unless he is haring forward with the ball at his feet, a sort of Darren Huckerby De Luxe. He doesn’t seem to have much awareness, either of space or of his team mates. Against the better teams he seems mentally, short of time.
    Admittedly I don’t watch him week in, week out.

230. tomstoned says:

only one thing to say really…deserved win for citeh,Arsenal….well it was expected and it will only get worse…we have piss poor board we have an owner who really doesnt care and worse a piss poor manager..nuff said

231. Poor Jack must be bewildered at the attention shown to him by our opponents today. It is seen that he is the only Arsenal player that when the going gets tough…!
    I love you Jack. YOU are more Arsenal than Arse…

232. Gooner In Exile says:

Best player on the park was Jack Wilshere, for every one break he managed he was cut short in others, he moves with the ball so effortlessly, and always looks forward.

If Theo wants Big Time Charlie wages and to play in the middle let someone else pay it, if he is prepared to play there when good for the team then fine.

re Walcott it was obvious he would get no joy in the middle.should have switched him to the wing and giroud play centrally and come on earlier.
    Either way to play 80 minutes with 10 men against anyone is hard and the second half performane was better but without a cutting edge

Ah. We lose and tomstoned wakes up from his Northen hibernation.

BV. Many on here agree with you. I don’t see TW as a central player, he has little awareness of where his fellow players are. Beat a FB and bang iin a cross….. Yes. CF? No.

235. slime says:

Fair play to Wenger, honest as usual. I don’t see a clear path of where this team is going at the moment, which is worrying, but I won’t be jumping to conclusions based on today’s game because what’s the point. Rasp is right when he says we are not a good team at the moment. We have some decent individuals, but as a unit, it’s not happening. The next few months are going to be a struggle, but I will continue to fully support the team and manager, even in the face of individuals who only comment when things aren’t going so well. Bring on the Swans!

Slime. Me too.

237. Wenger is not a piss poor manager. He is simply losing the vision of how to wear a magic hat. The man is working himself too hard to compete on the managerial front.

238. tomstoned says:

good luck Slime and BR…come on…i think we all want The Arsenal to do better right…??…some have lived in denial for far too long,,and heey…playing Diaby ?..a player just about recovering from injury…we have a paper thin squad and wenger knows it you know it..its stupidity….like you do trying to find all sorts of excuses well that doesnt do it in my book BR..
    instead of taking cheap shots you should read back my posts then you will find that i have said the same for many years..and im quite fed up reading about all sorts of excuses…im a honest man BR..im only telling it like i see it…do i have the urge to do that every feckin day …No…im actually hurt..wenger has ruined our club and you know it Sir !!

239. Adrian says:

What are your thoughts on this? While it seems like a decent move by the linesman, its also weird that he’s telling players this.

240. I need to see some highlights but that was some of the worst refereeing I’ve had the displeasure to watch. The linesman on our right side 2nd half was shocking too. i thought we did ok second half. We need some players . I’d take any 2 from dean, dowd, webb or clattenburg

241. Sheep Hagger ™ says:

Another poor showing again by us don’t use the ref as an excuse,the penalty was a penalty,he wrestled him to the ground he’s another shit C/H.

And as for that Mertasacker he spent most of the game on the floor.
    The only encouraging thing was Jack played well and Ramsey came on and did well.
    If they scored the penalty we would have been in free fall.

Face aches brother is a shity fan and he text me i did not reply to him!
    We got no guts no fighting in us we are like a old beaten heavyweight boxer .
    A bad workman blames his tools,now I’m sounding like my dad.
    Much love
    Sheep Hagger™🙈

242. tomstoned if you think Wenger is piss poor wait til you see who we get next.

243. ces1ne says:

TomS….Wenger has ruined our club???? Say what you want about the man, but you must have had a few too many if you’re going to spew that bile

244. sheep why do you have to call one of our players shit? Bad, not good enough. useless even but shit. he’s wearing an arsenal shirt.

245. That’s from a professional footballer.

246. Sheep Hagger ™ says:

Cause he is ok ill rephrase it
    He was Pants

247. Fair enough sheep. shit is for players from other teams and referees. we need clear boundaries 🙂

SH. One down at home with 11 players and 80+ mins to go. I would back us to get at least a point.

249. Sheep Hagger ™ says:

His fault we lost the carling cup against brum a few years ago.
    Get rid of him 2nd rate C/H.

250. Sheep Hagger ™ says:

Yes Raddy I agree but we got no defence once we went down to 10 men I knew it was game over

251. Sheep Hagger ™ says:

Naughty sheep will not use that word again .
    Slaps himself
    Much love xx

252. tomstoned says:

ces1ne..
    im sure if ure a manure supporter wenger must be tha man….you can say that fergie is a pretty decent manager,but heck this season manure ows the title to wenger…good work..but eh..isnt wenger managing Arsenal or is he selling league titles to opponents…
    and from most wenger fans and kroenke fans alike wenger does a great job..making money is what its all about…and from that point of view i understand why you lot thnk so highly about him..:)great

So then you agree that Dean sending Kos off cost us the game or an entertaining afternoon.

Yes, it was a pen but never a red card.

254. Sheep Hagger ™ says:

Br
    I knew it was a red card as soon as I seen it it was like watching wrestling from America .

255. Arteta out for 3 weeks. Terrible news

256. tomstoned says:

not to worry Goonermichael…we got Diaby and Rosicky back…anyone seen Rosicky lately…not injured i suppose ;)..

257. I love my team and always will but I’m worried for the near future

Still need a volunteer to pen a few words for the match report folks ……

259. mike dean is refereeing our game with the chavs. we should play the kids

260. slime says:

I’m sure Tomstoned will put a post together for you Rasp, afterall, Arsenal are playing poorly at the moment so he will be around until the form picks up again.

261. tomstoned says:

Slime dont be such a fuss…if i felt that my rather poor English was up to the task, and more importantly that our fellow Gooners in here had the stomach to face the truth, i would be honored to do so,then again being ridiculed and more or less shot down everytime im not sure that it would do any good…
    lets give the task to the cotton wool pickers eh ;)..
    so Rasp im truly sorry but i dont want to ruin the blog mate 🙂

262. slime says:

I thought ‘I told you so’ would work in any language TS! 😉

263. tomstoned says:

Slime ;
    helt iorden da ordner jeg det,men *be Warned* det blir ikke helt pent …

264. tomstoned says:

and for Your convinience Slime *i told you so =jeg har jo sagt det hele tiden ;)..
    one thing though Slime,me having an opinion doesnt mean i love Arsenal less,,,its just when things dont work im used to fix em..thats all…in my own life that is 🙂

265. slime says:

Ja!?

😆

266. tomstoned says:

Thx Goonermichael :)appreciated…..Slime Yes ;)heey your doing very well….!!

Tom. Huske at jeg nemt kan forstå dig 🙂

268. slime says:

TS,

Is there any particular reason why we only have the pleasure of your company when Arsenal are playing poorly? Do you not feel you would enjoy blogging more if you were on here to celebrate when we win, rather than popping on to say ‘jeg har jo sagt det hele tiden’ when we lose? Can you see why that might rub people up the wrong way a little?

Those are genuine questions by the way.

🙂

269. goonerjake says:

Dean must be a Tottering Spurts fan.
    At the very least he hates the Arsenal.
    Remember his little hop of joy when Hotspurts scored against us.

Useless ref.
    Penalty and red card two punishments.
    Jack allowed to be constantly fouled through the match.

Angry!

Jake. To be honest I was expecting a defeat but the manner of the defeat is what is so galling.

271. ces1ne says:

TomS….Not even worth a response

272. ces1ne says:

Well said slime

273. goonerjake says:

BR

I was optomistic for a change, i even thought we would win it when we were a man down. It seems mistakes our defenders make/bouts of lack of concentration cost us a goal every time, this has been happening all season.

Maybe we need a couple of defensive players as soon as possible.

274. tomstoned says:

Big Raddy det glemmer jeg aldri :),København og Danmark er flotte steder,og husk jeg er ikke ute etter noen,i mine øyne er du en Gunner bedre enn de fleste…
    Slime no prob mate…well my work situation makes it difficult to be online everyday,but thats only half true,i must admit that im that sort of fellah,in private when things dont work out i will do whatever ti takes to make em right,im not very good at giving people credit for doing well…the odd nod or a clap on the shoulder once in a while thats me ..im sorry to say but when We win..well im no better than most ask my misses..hehe..i go bananas..
    bottom line im never going to look the other way or back down from problems..
    that some Gooners think im over the top some times well thats fine,being able to differ in opinions is what should thrive The Arsenal forward….the fact that Wenger a *former*top notch manager have lost it..thats only my humble opinion…but look closely Slime you should be able to see a downward spiral in motion,
    we’re all different..what matters is that The Arsenal overcomes these difficult times..

Chaps. We agreed that we would respect each other. No need to be insulting to Tom, he is a Gooner just like you and despite his horrible negativity he cares about the club.

276. tomstoned says:

thats fine ces1ne…keep picking that cotton 😉

Jake. IMO it is the opposition realising that we have a weakness on the left of midfield. Podolski is just not a defender and asking him to perform in this role is not working.

There is nothing wrong with Gibbs bombing forward as long as he has cover which too often is missing.

We have had Arshavin, Gervinho and now Pod take this role and none of them can defend.

278. goonerjake says:

Br

Isnt Santi a winger? Im sure he could fill the left sided slot, jack in the middle with arteta and a big strong signing of a big bull of a defensive mid.

279. slime says:

That’s fair enough TS.

NFL time for me. Night y’all!

Or god nat as TS might say (hope that’s right!)

280. tomstoned says:

have a great NFL time..go the Ravens..og God Natt…spot on Slime :)..nice talking with ya…

I’d take a match report from tomstoned, I’m sure he’d produce something challenging ……

282. Merseforever says:

Making a brief return,

I thought Wilshere and Rambo were fantastic today. Not everything Jack attempted came off but he never stopped running and got clattered various times and still kept going. Does anyone remember Wenger saying he was going to ease him back in and not overplay him. I’m seriously worried he will pick up another injury because of mismanagement\lack of rotation. Arguably his major injury was caused by Wenger overplaying him that season, he played something like 50+ games at 19… Plus, just seen the news that Arteta is out for three weeks. Surely we must buy a midfielder-preferably a strong DM this window! No excuses the club can credibly give if they don’t.

283. VCC says:

GM…..nor can I , unfortunately.

284. Well it is what it is. Only time will tell what happens after

285. This is how negative QoS is feeling nowadays

286. I’m going to watch Holy grail to cheer myself up.

287. ces1ne says:

TomS….I don’t quite get the cotton picker thing as it’s a racial slur on my side of the pond, so I know you didn’t mean it that way. That being said, I do absolutely LOVE keyboard warriors & wiseasses such as yourself. Congrats on being the 1st person I have ever had a problem with on this wonderful site in 3-4 years. Guess I’ll bugger off for good now, seeing as I should be off being a “cotton picker” anyway. Great chatting with 99.9999% of you all this time, shame some clowns are bringing the quality of what was my daily Arsenal fix down.

288. Gooner In Exile says:

Evening all, time to reflect and it is very difficult to assess the performance of the team today.

11v11 I think we stood a chance, 10v11 and taking our right sided width off left us unbalanced.

For me I would have probably dropped removed Ox but pushed Santi out left and Theo out right and given ourselves a stronger target in Pod.

For me the first requirement of a PL centre forward is strength and that is why I don’t see it as Theo’s natural role especially in our 451/433 formation.

Kos made a hash of the challenge but it wasn’t a red, Terry has been getting away with that kind of challenge for years but the box was too empty to get away with it.

I think people are being too harsh on the team and the performance.

Koz was clumsy but unlucky to suffer a pen and a sending off. As GiE says, Terry (and others – particularly the Orc defenders) do that in every game and are not even penalised, let alone carded.

We struggled to cope 10 v 11 against a very good side in the first half but made a really good fist of it second half. We even created several decent chances to score. If just one had managed to go in the final 10 minutes would have been really interesting.

Diaby was off the pace, but most of the others played well in the second half.

You can’t judge Theo as a central attacker on the basis of one 10 v 11 game.

Blimey, I know things are a tad gloomy, but…. “HELLOOOO”

291. Red Arse says:

Morning Peeps 🙂

Light snow – very pretty!

Hi Rocky,
    If I were to have a Boss, then I’d go for you 🙂
    Kos was highly irresponsible and unprofessional (getting caught).
    Diaby can never dominate long enough periods of a game.
    We made a good fist against a side that were totally cruising.
    Sorry, but although the sending off ruined our chances and the game, I don’t think we are good enough to end above Spuds.
    I read that QPR are about to sign M’Vila and Toon Remy.
    This fills me with enormous hope that at least it is possible to find decent squad players in Jan.
    Ok, a small ROLF there.

Morning all
    Well it got a little heatd on here again after the game but the facts are there to be seen.

I find it hard to take many if any positives out of the game even though some are trying to make out that there were.
    Of course the game was ruined by the early sending off and though I believe it was a penalty many a ref wouldn’t have given it, but Kos more than anyone has been caught out before and hasn’t learnt the art of fouling in a discreet manner that others in the PL have perfected.

Jack is a real battler but because we are short of quality and kos now banned for 3 games and Arteta also out for at least 3 weeks we really are stretched with a string of difficult games ahead.
    Jack will hit “the red light zone” and Santi is showing a drop of form as well.
    To me it may have been a game to early for diaby as he was understandably tentative but at least he got an hour of football.

It is imperative we buy in this window if the manager thinks we can still achieve a top 4 finish, though it is going to be harder than in many a year.

Confidence is still at a low as can be seen by our general play and again we never really tested Hart.
    I honestly thought beforehand that we could give City a good game until the 10th minute when everything changed.

ROLF,ROLF Micky 🙂 and morning RA

Morning both.
    Fair assesment of the situation Kelsey. Dusting of snow in Stratford.

Off for breakfast.

297. Red Arse says:

Hi Ces1ne 🙂

I hope you won’t leave the AA site!!

Unfortunately, we have had a couple of negative characters on here over the past few days. The guy you had a problem with does not have English as his first language, and tho’ always negative would not have necessarily intended abuse – as you recognized.

These guys are very occasional visitors, and tend to come out when the team are struggling a bit.

It is best not to engage with them.
    Like you, I tried to debate with them sensibly but it is pointless. My current strategy is to ignore them, and hope they eff off.

You are a good guy and the AA regulars think you are OK too.

Don’t let ‘hit and run’ merchants influence you — sadly they get everywhere – that’s life!! 🙂

298. Kelsey
    I agree with everything you say although they did clear one off the line when Hart was beaten. I don’t think we’re buying anyone.

299. Red Arse says:

I was disappointed after the game, but frankly even if we had kept 11 men on the pitch there was always the possibility that we might have lost. City are a very good team.

That’s football. It just was not our day.

Lots of games still to go – lots to play for!! 🙂

Kelsey,
    Is that RA bloke having a go at us as “negative characters” 🙂
    I certainly have a problem with English!

Good to see you GM. How was your seat.
    At one point in the second half I found myself whispering to Peaches as I didn’t want to disturb anyone 🙂

302. Red Arse says:

Hi Kelsey, Hi GM, 🙂

I have never put too much hope in getting anyone in.

To be fair to Arsene Wenger, it is not just his desire to buy that is the key consideration, it is the willingness of other clubs to sell.

Most clubs do not want to sell their best players at this time of year, because that could affect their chances of avoiding relegation, at one extreme, or their local league hopes at the other.

Zaha has tweeted he is off to Manure, tho’ the tweet was taken down shortly afterwards. That’s the other problem – money – Manure and the other ‘bigwigs’ want someone – they get them. Now where have I heard that before!! 🙂

😦

304. Red Arse says:

Micky,

I hope you were not whispering sweet nothings into the ear of the delectable Peaches? 😀

English is your first language but you do not antagonise people with negatory backchat, big smokey!! 😛

“it is the willingness of other clubs to sell”
    M’vila. Remy. Cough splutter.

306. Nice to see you too Micky. Where I was sitting was very vociferous and abusive towards dean (especially by me). I got away with throwing my chewing gum at him. Only downer was that someone had serious bad breath near me. It was noticeable how few the City fans were.

But why RA

Podolski doesn’t seem to last more than 70 minutes,Giroud is being tip toed into the side, Santos was going to be sold but we wanted too much (to cut our losses) there was a rumour Jenkinson was going out on loan, Arshavin has been frozen out, Rosicky and Diaby have a proven record of being injury prone, Fabianski has been injured for 6 months,Gervinho may reproduce some resemblane form but he is now away,and players like coquelin and Ramsey are still learning and are not game changers.
    A lot to consider IMO
    We most probably won’t buy unless we recoup first and that is the worry.

GM
    Ah, the bloke with bad breath. That’ll be Bob. World famous Stinker.

309. Red Arse says:

Micky, Bob the Stinker!!!! 😛

Morning All.

I have considered the game overnight using my rose tinted glasses in an attempt to cheer myself up, but to no avail.

We were easily beaten by a MC who cruised for 80 minutes.

Positives were JW, Rambo, and an improved performance from both TV and Sagna (not difficult).

Also, we witnessed an Arsenal team that really gave everything in the second half; as late as the 85th min they were running to take throw-ins and complaining to the imposter in the black about time-wasting.

It is beyond belief that Dean is to referee the Chelsea game. Guess he wants a Porsche to go with the Ferrari and the lifetime’s free petrol

311. Gooner In Exile says:

So Martin Samuel likes the idea of City and Chavs buying titles…..ho hum….

Interesting article nonetheless, that United and Liverpool and those cretins down the road have signed it too is evidence that all traditionally big clubs have and are being affected by the sheiks and oligarchs.

Has to be said that there must also be some thought from Arsenal that it further reduces Usmanovs interest if passed through. Not sure why anyone should be against it.

Samuel talks of merchandise sales split in the US sports as something that United,Arsenal and Pool would not like to see implemented here, but I doubt there is any profit for the clubs from shirt sales outside their own club shops and the rights to manufacturer the shirts (agreed up front)…..why else would Arsenal use the “support the club but your shirt from us” as a strap line in the official merchandise section?

Anyway the crux of Samuel’s argument is that it would not allow for a Jack Walker type to come along and buy success. I don’t really see why not FFP rules allow for wealthy owner investment as long as the club does not become burdened by the debt.

312. Red Arse says:

Kelsey,

I will possibly regret saying this, but I honestly do not think our current crop of players are good enough.

I wrote a Post about this some months ago.
    Any objective assessment of Viera, Henry, Pires etc, etc when compared against the Pod, Gervinho, Walcott etc, etc makes it obvious that we are comparing chalk with cheese.

That’s why. 🙂

And there are many more comparisons I could make — but won’t!! 🙂

313. Red Arse says:

Micky,

I do not think AW is interested in Mvila or Remy, money or not.

314. Martin Samuel is a bit of a knob though. I stopped watching Sunday supplement ages ago because he used to wind me up (along with the others)

315. slime says:

I believe any big recruitments will be made in the summer when players are more readily available. I also believe we have a lot more of a squad than people think, it’s just that confidence is very low, and our form is poor.

Remy and M’Vila aren’t anything special. Not long ago people were saying that we shouldn’t be looking at the French league for players, but no doubt some of the same fans will be asking why we haven’t bought these 2! Both players have been poor this season (apparently) and I’m not sure Wenger will want a ‘disruptive’ influence in M’Vila after shipping out all the bad apples.

I do worry about how we can turn things around, not just this season, but going forward. We need 4 or 5 top class players at the club and at the moment we have 1, maybe 2 if Cazorla finds his form. We have potential with Ox and Gibbs, but it’s so much harder for them to progress to the next level in a team that isn’t moving forward itself.

A tough few months ahead.

316. evonne says:

Spectrum – do you want a medal for your 1st para? Or perhaps a kick up the arse for the Cazorla statement? You insist on being truthful, well, there you are

Morning RA

317. Spectrum
    They are all good questions. If you put your case like that you won’t have problems on here. Although Tomstoned is very negative he’s always welcome here.

After we sack Wenger what will you like to see happen? Who would you like to take over.

318. The Cazorla proven cheat remark is stupid though.

319. evonne says:

GM – not only stupid, but wrong, Santi did not cheat, proven.
    Isn’t it horrible going home in the dark after a lost game? I cannot do it anymore, too old and frigile

320. you don’t look too old to me 🙂

321. evonne says:

Wednesday game is gigantic, most important this season. The way I see is FA is the only cup we can win and end the ‘Arsenal have not won a trophy in xx years’

322. evonne says:

GM 🙂 Always professional 🙂

323. The only cup we can win is a bit of an understatement seeing as we’re 21 points behind the mancs evonne. I can’t see us winning that either. I’m still looking forward to going on Wednesday though

324. There’s always the CL if we get past BM RM and eufalona

325. evonne says:

oh yeah, the CL, of course! Wake up Michael 🙂 We cannot beat Swansea, BM can be a little bit trickier

326. Does anyone think I can carry 8 bricks back from B&Q in an IKEA bag?

The Martin Samuel article is depressing and shows just how far we have fallen since the move to the Ems.

Desperate measures from desperate men.

IMO if a team isn’t bankrolled by a billionaire it will be impossible to compete. MU will fall away once SAF leaves.

We have seen the results of uneven money distribution in Scotland, Portugal, Spain etc and sad to say in the PL as well (how many teams have won it?). Gone are the days of an even playing field.

It saddens an old romantic like BR.

p.s. Samuels clearly has a problem with Gazidis – I wonder why?

328. Red Arse says:

Morning Evonne, 🙂

Good to see you keeping order in the house!! 🙂

GM. It depends how far from home B&Q is but IMO …. yes, easily.

330. I’ve only got to walk about 500 yards. The rest is one tube stop. I’ll give it a go. I can always get a cab

331. Red Arse says:

GM,

I was going to say that it depends on the distance and your relative size. At 6′ 5″ and 18 stone (yep, I have slimmed down) 🙂 I could manage for a reasonable distance, but they are awkward little buggers in bag.

— My advice is ‘don’t’ do it, or buy two easier lots of 4 bricks. 🙂

RA. A balanced view 🙂

333. There’s also the sand and cement

334. At some point today I’m going to watch the game again with the luxury of replays. i didn’t see why Kozzer got sent off at the time but it looks like a rugby tackle. most refs wouldn’t have sent him off. Dean likes to be centre of attention though.

335. didit says:

Its only the mixer and labourer you may struggle to carry.

336. New post ……………………

337. SPECTRUM says:

“buying is not always the solution”.

“spending is not always the answer”

“we are looking for the right player, but we have not found any yet.”

” we have a good team”.

” we have a complete team.”

” but it is very important that he ( Diaby ) comes back and plays until the end of the season.That would be like a new signing for us.”
    ( ……hey, that’s a new one ).

And the latest……

“If you think there are any players of Arteta’s calibre available now in January,” he said, “I wish you good luck.”

Two weeks in. Reading the above statements, does anyone think he’ll be going on a splurge and spending ANY, let alone ALL of that 70 million ( MINIMUM ) that we have ?

Excuses not to, anyone ?

338. SPECTRUM says:

evonne and goonermichael – You’re in denial. Sorry, but there is no doubt that he is a cheat. Which is a pity. He is such a good player. If my memory is correct, he did it in two home games running – on December 1st against Swansea, in which he tried to con the ref for a penalty, but failed. And then on the 8th December, against West Brom. In that match he dived, and this time he succeeded in winning a penalty. If you recall, both goals in our 2-0 home win that day should NOT have been allowed. Check the replays.They’re clear he was simulating in both of the incidents he was involved in.

People might say “Everyone else does it.” But that does not make it right. All competitors in any field should play fairly and try to win on their merits, not with the assistance of drugs ( as in Lance Armstrong’s case ), or faking fouls, as in Cazorla’s.