Undefeated run to continue? …. Liverpool Preview.

What will be today’s most prevalent discussion in the bars before the game today? Lack of signings and our injury problems. The signings may well arrive but once again we go into an early season game with a long injury list and a threadbare squad. I cannot recall us starting a season with a fully fit squad in many years – what is the point of pre-season training and friendlies if we are to lose players with such startling regularity?

We start our home PL campaign against a confident and resurrected Liverpool. A team which has had a fortune spent on it since the arrival of “King Kenny”. Look at their bench and compare it to ours today – which team looks prepared to compete for the title? This depresses me and many of our fans. It is cause for discontent. And yet I believe that even with our depleted first 11 we will give Liverpool a shock today.

Wenger has insisted upon playing the same system from youth level to the first team which has resulted in new players slotting into the first team with confidence. They have already spent much of their careers playing Wengerball, hence Frimpong’s impressive cameo on Tuesday evening. With Song paying for his stupidity young Frimpong is very likely to start today.

Back to the injuries – Rosicky, Gibbs, Traore (perhaps), Diaby, Wilshere, Djourou – all unlikely to play today.

Will Nasri play? He is in the squad (though we have named 19, so by now he could be out!). He must be fit having played for  France not so long ago. If he plays, how will the fans react? His departure though likely is not in any way certain. He could sign his contract and become an Arsenal great. Remember Rooney last season; one week about to sign for City, the next signs a long term contract at OT. It is unlikely that the Nasri situation will end with the same result – we will definitely not give Nasri €220k a week and nor should we. I would play him – we are paying his wages, so let him bloody earn them.

Liverpool are going to be a force this year. They have improved all over the pitch and what they have managed for the first time in many years is to create a team which does not rely on Gerrard. That they can have Stevie G injured and still have such a good player as Meireies on the bench bodes well for them. Thinking of MF’s, where is Joe Cole? And Aquilani?  The new signings have been expensive but good quality: Adams, Enrique, Carroll, Suarez, Henderson and Downing are all fine players, especially Suarez who looks “super quality.” This is a rejuvenated Liverpool.

An interesting afternoon looms for the defence. The bulk of Carroll and the darting runs of Suarez will test TV and Kos. The lack of an adequate left back will be a problem and I hope  AW can find a decent solution. Midfield is an area in which we will be seriously depleted and one can imagine Dalgleish expecting his team to completely dominate. Who would you play? This is my guess ……

Subs: Who knows!

My choice of Squillaci is because I do not believe it is wise to blood the very inexperienced Jenkinson out of his natural position. Squillaci is not the best but he remains an Arsenal player and is a defender! Perhaps Lansbury, Frimpong or Rasp could play LB and assist in us not being forced to play the Italian – only AW will know.

I have been googling for inventors born in Liverpool and all I can find is one Kenneth Dodd who invented something called the “tickling stick” sometime in the 1960’s.

It would be great to start with a win today and Arsenal are always best when facing adversity. Let’s hope this patched together team can pull off a surprise.

Key player? Arshavin. He likes scoring against the Scouse.

COYRRG

Written by Big Raddy

325 Responses to Undefeated run to continue? …. Liverpool Preview.

Rasp Thanks for the polishing!

2. Raddy you might need to keep watch in case the site gets invaded by the opposition.

I’ve asked Wonderman if he would be able to write a match report and for him to answer on the blog. If he can’t please can someone else volunteer – if it’s wonderful I’m sure we won’t be able to stop London 😉

The sky may be cobalt blue here and I’m not even going to tell you how hot it is but when it gets to midday I know where I’d rather be. Have a lovely day all and enjoy the game xx

3. harry says:

Nice one Raddy, just getting ready for the match, so few words little time……..

Would rather not see squillaci, play sagna at lb and jenks at rb…….

Nasri must play if available, cannot see the fans warming to him and him changing his mind as you say, would be nice, but he is too talented to leave out when so short…….players shouldnt be offended, if left out for him………

When I see the line up I will know what I really feel, at the moment I feel I have a sense of this could be a long 90mins…….score drawe, i would snatch your hand off now…..is that wrong?

Just hope the fans really get behind the team and dont boo nasri……

Oi BR,
    What’s with the formation?
    My midfield exactly. I would prefer Ryo in place of Squidge! Understand your thinking regarding CJ though. Putting the word Liverpool in the title has to be your biggest gamble though 🙂

My pleasure Raddy, thanks for the post, it’s reassuring for all to read your stylish prematch hors d’oeuvres 😛

Today I am hoping (predicting) we will see the emergence of a new Arsenal cult hero …….. prepare yourselves for ‘Emmanuel II’ the natural successor to Eboue’s crown as a crowd pleaser.

I think PingPong has all the attributes our midfield needs at this time. He obviously has to control (but not curb) his enthusiasm a tad, but his power and energy is exactly what our midfield has been lacking. If he can stay on the pitch, I expect him to get right amongst pool and disrupt there midfield, hopefully making space for my own pocket hero – AA, to recreate his demolition of the merseysiders.

If the going gets tough, I would expect Frimpong to remove his top.

Coutesty of 7 AM kick Off

The one thing we do know is that Martin Atkinson is the referee. The last Arsenal match he was in charge of was the 2-2 draw away to Fulham where he showed Gera a straight red for a two-footed tackle. Prior to that, he was in charge of the 3-3 draw away to Tottenham. Before that the home win over Birmingham in which he sent off Jack Wilshere. And before that, the infamous away opener to Liverpool where he sent off Joke Hole and Laurent Koscielny.

In fact, in the last 12 League games that Arsenal have played with Atkinson on the whistle almost all of them have had a penalty or a red card, or both, or multiples of both.

W – 5-0 over Derby, pen to Arsenal
    W – 4-1 over Everton, 2 reds; Arteta and 2 yellows to Bendtner
    L – 1-0 to Fulham
    D – 4-4 Tottenham, blown 4-2 lead in last minute
    W – 4-1 over Stoke, awards a penalty to each team
    W – 1-0 over Fulham
    W – 2-0 over Wham – red card Vermaelen, both teams awarded pens
    L – 2-1 to Blackburn
    D – 1-1 Liverpool – red card to each team
    W – 2-1 Birmingham – red card Arsenal, Penalty Arsenal
    D – 3-3 Tottenham – penalty to Totts
    D – 2-2 Fulham – red card to Fulham

I guess if I were to be certain about anything it’s that Martin Atkinson isn’t afraid to make a lot of big calls. That’s 12 matches with 14 major refereeing decisions. If I were to warn these players over anything, I would tell Frimpong to watch his enthusiasm tomorrow, or he will be sent off. I’m fairly certain of that!

You are pretty good with line ups BR but squillaci No, thank you but vermaelen must stay where he plays best.

Oh great kelsey – so it’s the Pong to receive a red 😦

Serously though, you can tell where the ref is coming from by how quick he is to award his first yellow. TV, the Pong, and kozzer are the moct likely candidates on our side I reckon.

Let’s hope Traore is fit so TV can stay in the centre, I’d prefer him over Squaillaci any day.

I really hope Nasri starts but am terrified of the reaction from our cretin element.

12. Gooner In Exile says:

Nice pre match BR, worried at defensive frailty, anyone think Jenks could play CB between Sag and Kos with TV left back? I’m also wondering if we have any left backs in the Youth system that could be promoted for the game, as BR says they are schooled from young in the Wengerball way so should just dip right in. Our opponents today benefitted last season from a similar policy at full back.

I am now sharpening my vocal chords for the see you next Tuesday that is Martin Atkinson….Micky you have filled me with dread now.

Its a bloody good thing I’m not a ref, because I would give Carroll a staright red because I don’t like his accent.
    And I’ve never even heard it.

Rasp. I expect a quiet day on the blog. I will be around much of the time and will moderate, thought I do not expect there to be a need.

So would you play Frimpong LB and Lasbury in MF?

Or SAgna LB and Jenkinson on the right?

Or are 10 men better than playing with Squill? AW clearly has confidence in him otherwise he would have shipped him out in summer – there has never been a suggestion that this was AW’s intention. Therefore I think it reasonable to suggest the Italian will start.

p.s. don’t forget the early kick-off!

Micky. He deserves one for being so ugly and having a pony tail.

16. Jamie says:

Big Raddy – Good optimistic post, I agree that Wenger will select that team.

I wouldn’t though, I would play Jenkinson over Squillaci, I would play me over Squillaci and I’m 18stone.

I can’t feel so good about it all.

Can’t Believe Nasri is still at the club, can’t believe we haven’t singed a centre back or an experienced midfielder. Can’t believe we have five injured and two suspended for our second league game. Incompetent board, we have only twelve decent players, Idiot booing fans and a crappy 12;45 kick off because we have slipped that far down the pecking order that sky couldn’t be bother with our first two games.

The only thing I’m sure of is, if we lose or win I am going to have one of those thing that Gazidis couldn’t organise in a brewery.

I agree micky, but am also fearful of the crowd reaction,though i want nasri to play.

No Raddy, I’m hoping the back 4 will be Sagna, kozzer, TV and Traore. The Pong must play in midfield. If that berk Song hadn’t got himself bannned he could have played in the back four.

19. London says:

Morning all.

Why? If he plays a blinder the price goes up if he plays averagely which I suspect he will as he is not 100% fit then City may not be so keen to offer the kind of wages that are being banded around, the result of that is he is more likely to stay and lets be clear we need all the talent we can get in that squad.

Desperate moi?

I think the crowd will get behind Nasri if he plays. I can guarantee that no-one around me will get away with booing him if any starts.

Jamie,

you know the arsene way he won’t make any signings until after the CL qualifier result.

Jamie. Thank you. The early k.o affects my drinking habits. I don’t like to get stuck into the merlot until mid afternoon because I fall asleep. Early K.O’s mean beers which requires me to go out and buy some.

Off to the Offie.

23. London says:

Ok having read BR’s reasuring pre-match I now intend to make my way to the ground, do you think they will let me in with my sofa?
    I get the feeling that this is one of those games I am going to need something to hide behind.

Face it London,
    You have a vested interest in Nasri, or should I say hatted!

Rasp. I am assuming Traore is unfit or he will surely play. A season in Italy must have honed his defensive technique, he could be a big player this season given Gibbs propensity for injury.

Traore got injured on monday playing for the reserves.came off after 11 minutes,though i don’t know the extent of the injury.

Is it too late to sign Baines before kick off?

28. Jamie says:

On the upside, someone has loaned me a free season ticket for today. Heading for a fry up in a bit.

Kelsey- sadly I think you are right.

I’m still pro- Wenger, The board are to blame. It’s funny how Wenger never seed to get stuck like this with Dein and Fitzman around.

Arsenal football club is in the wrong hands.

29. BnT says:

Undefeated run?

Go over our last 15 games and tell me how many points we have taken.

30. piken79 says:

Join the best gooner fantasy football at the official premier league http://www.premierleague.com, league number 1804043-371988

Ok, for me its a cert that Jenks will start with Verm and Kos central. I also believe Nasri will play, but, AA or Nasri in midfield?

They’ve just suggested a nightmare scenario on the radio, Chamakh up front alone and RvP in midfield – I pray that doesn’t happen.

London, are you coming down to The Taven with your sofa.

Harry, my daughter has given me permission for a half of shandy so I’m hoping to see you at the boozer.

33. goonermichael says:

Great write up Raddy. I think I read somewhere that Jenkinson can play CB. I’m probably wrong though (I usually am). I can’t watch the match today I’ve got a Brazilian blowdry booked. 🙂 I’m relying on updates from AA. Enjoy it everyone.

34. Savage says:

Agreed on playing Nasri. He’s certainly better than our other options, even with a dent in his confidence due to the undoubted booing he’ll receive.

35. barumgooner says:

Top post, outlining all our fears and worries but I believe we will come good. Frimpong and Aaron can boss the middle and AA, Theo and RVP will destroy their defence. Must play TV where he needs to be though.

36. Red Arse says:

Good one BR, Don’t disagree with any of your line up. 🙂

It’s odd how there is a general and wide spread disrespect of Squillaci. He is a French international player with about 20 (?) appearances, so you would think he isn’t too bad.

In fact there was such a high expectation of us wanting/getting a big, high class CB last Summer, that when AW produced him out of the hat there was such an anti climax ….. he was already doomed to be hated.

Because of his size, I have always thought he could be a defensive midfielder instead. But I also think that of Kozzer, so what do I know?

37. goonermichael says:

Miyaichisan will rip them a new arsehole. He is our ninja assassin

38. Red Arse says:

Hi GM, 🙂

What the hell is a Brazilian blow job?

OK, off to the game, mine’s a Peroni if anyone getsto the rub a dub before me.

Up the Arse………..

40. barumgooner says:

RA. I dont know but like the sound of it !!!

41. barumgooner says:

oh blow-dry. that dont sound so appealing.

42. evonne says:

RA, GM and Barum – behave!! this is a family blog site!!

Rasp – if you are to sort out all the boo boys today you probably need more than a shandy

Harry and Chas – is THE ticket gone? I am not trying to poach it; last time I was called a ticket stealing scumbag/ratbag and the rest, not nice. I would only buy it if nobody else does.

SS – xx 🙂

You can’t win with the french.we hate them,they hate us and they hate each other.there is north south divide in most european countries but in france one can smell it and in the case of women they don’t shave their armpits.They think perfume is an alternative to washing, though i did fancy brigette bardot when we were both younger.

44. TotalArsenal says:

Great post BR. Hope you are wrong though re Squilly. It would be an utter disaster (sorry RA!).

Rasp, what would be so bad about Chamakh upfront and RvP (behind him) in midfield? Does that suggest a 4-4-2 formation. I would love that today:

Szczesny
    Jenkinson – Koz – TV – Sagna
    Theo – Rambo – Frimpong – Arshavin
    Rvp
    Chanakh

45. evonne says:

Big Raddy – clever post, great summary, thank you

46. TotalArsenal says:

Kelsey, I find hairy armpits sexy on women, but then I am not English… 😛

47. goonermichael says:

Kelsey 🙂

48. Red Arse says:

Hi TA, 🙂

You may have noticed that I am not big on team forecasting, but unless someone proposes a ridiculous set up I am usually content.

I have no idea what Arsene, or his scouting team, saw in Squillaci, or for that matter the French national coach. But it clearly wasn’t a fluke because he has played pretty often.

He is absolutely not for me. He is possibly as far from what I would have wanted in the Arsenal defence as it is possible to go, apart from the legendary Gus Caesar (source: BR – I think 🙂 ).

So we are singing from the same song sheet, I think! 🙂

49. evonne says:

TA….the latest trend is English men shaving the armits plus waxing back, sack and crack, revolting

50. evonne says:

Red Arse – remember Pascal ?

51. Red Arse says:

Darn it TA, I agree with you again re women and their accoutrements (so to speak)! 🙂

We must find something to disagree upon!

I know …… I hate mussels!!!!!! (muslinger?) 🙂

52. TotalArsenal says:

Evonne, it keeps a few people employed I guess, but no it is not my cup of tea either.

RA, ok we are as aligned on this as the two posts in a goal! Just him having to deal with Carol and Suarez today is a daylight nightmare.

53. barumgooner says:

I’m sorry Evonne @11.02. I dont think squiddy is anywhere near as bad as made out but nor is he as good as we need. We are though desperate for a lb mister Wenger and Everton are strapped for cash…please please please put two and two together and come up with an answer that doesn’t involve “starlets”

54. gunnern5 says:

BR:

Put your clock forward a few hours –
    and the Merlot will be just fine……………..

55. TotalArsenal says:

RA 🙂 I saw a French belle lying on a beach last week, with just a few dark hairs showing between arm and body – ever so subtle. The thought that Kelsey would find this revolting is inconceivable to me…

56. tommystout says:

Good preview Braddy
    Worrying today but i still feel lfc have a worse defence than us even today. My line up would be and i think it will be –

Chezer
    Sagna Squilvestre Kozzer Jenks
    Frimps TV
    Rambo
    Walcott RVP AA

this is the day we need frimps to step up and show he has grown.

57. evonne says:

Let’s leave the hairy subject for a bit, please 🙂 Going back to Nasri – I can see him following in Ade’s footsteps and ending up at Tottenham. They, ie the players seem to forget the fact that by moving to City they price themselves out of further moves. Nobody else will pay them silly money in wages and transfers, and they will be loaned here and there until finally forgotten. I apologise to those who wish Nasri well, I wish him bleak future, so bleak that he’ll regret leaving us. If he leaves of course, if he remains with Arsenal (for a few more years, not just this season) I will love him forever.

58. evonne says:

Barum – no need to apologise to me, just joking 🙂 Red Arse is a sex maniac and TA not far behind; their comments are verging on soft porn 🙂

59. tommystout says:

ignore my post – nasri starts……
    jesus, hope he performs…

60. TotalArsenal says:

Evonne 😉

61. evonne says:

tommy – read London’s comment above and calm down, all be well

62. evonne says:

Tommy – that’s the gem from London:

“I have been looking at that team for about fifteen minutes trying to work out if I agree that Nasri will play, I am now totally convinced that if I was Wenger he would be the first name on the team sheet.
    Why? If he plays a blinder the price goes up if he plays averagely which I suspect he will as he is not 100% fit then City may not be so keen to offer the kind of wages that are being banded around, the result of that is he is more likely to stay and lets be clear we need all the talent we can get in that squad”

Well, that is the first bit of good news ……

64. evonne says:

…what is Raddy?

65. evonne says:

G Neville and J Redknapp in the studio for the match – as if I care what either of them has to say about the Arsenal, psssshhh

evonne. squill not playing! This is a huge test for CJ

And my 7:35am selection was:
    Szczesny; Sagna Koscielny Vermaelen Jenkinson; Frimpong Ramsey; Walcott Nasri Arshavin; RVP.
    The King is dead. Long live the King.
    Now for the real business.
    COYRRR.

Bolleux. Knocked off my perch by Micky

69. evonne says:

Well done Micky! I am well impressed

70. SharkeySure says:

Come on you Rip Roaring Gunners !!!

71. evonne says:

oh my god, that is bad, really bad

72. Shall I go back to the pool, since I turned it on Frimpong has a yellow card and Kosser’s gone off injured – how unlucky are we?????

73. evonne says:

Peaches – the pool are at the emirates today 🙂 Koscielny suffered a back spasm, hopefully not too serious

74. goonermichael says:

Doesn’t sound good. we’ll have no one left for the mancs

75. goonermichael says:

are we getting battered?

Hope Rasp took his boots and shinpads.

77. evonne says:

GM – not yet, but we are not the better team 😦 Szczesny very busy

78. The stream is rubbish, so annoying, keeps freezing …… blimey Nasri scores, hope Rasp is singing loud and proud 🙂

79. No, the steam froze as the commentator was shouting his name and then everyone was clapping so I’m presumed durrrrr 😦

If London took his sofa he will not have seen much of the first half!

81. evonne says:

Excellent game, similar styles, Nasri awsome

82. goonermichael says:

the stats on the bbc website are looking better

83. goonermichael says:

We’re not losing 🙂

Give me eleven Frimpongs.

85. goonermichael says:

You dirty old man Micky

Great save by Szczny.ref only realised after 25 minutes that he was allowed to give us a frre kick.Szcny,vermaelen and Sagna(at LB) doing really well.nasri playing well, crowd on our side.Theo needs to get into the game.Poor arshavin can’t do a thing right.
    frimpong is a beast.IMO considering the defence reshuffle and hardly our first team we are ok.Midfield is were we are not imposing ourselves enough.
    Kos went off in agony with a back spasm.
    All to play for one goal will win the game.Preferably to us in the last minute.

87. SharkeySure says:

Yep Frimpongs got the spirt and hunger all right. Him and Lil Jack will be lethal.

I’m glad to see Miquel get on ahead of Squillaci as well.

Fingers crossed that Kozzer’s gonna be OK.

88. SharkeySure says:

Mr Kelsey. I wholeheartedly agree with every word of that.

I used to do the match reports SS 😉

90. Red Arse says:

Nasri’s transfer to Shitteh has broken down, allegedly.
    Damn; London’s hat may be safe yet.

A plucky but unconvincing first half.

Chesser, Vermalen, Sagna and Ping Pong are the stars.
    Jenks and Miguel are sticking in there gamely. Nasri doing well, in bursts. Rambo – Anonymous.

Theo is still just Theo. RVP not in the game and AA is rubbish.

Pool have most of the territory and we are hanging on. No confidence in the team.

I fear PingPong will get another card. He is putting in so much effort.
    Actually they all are.

We need more from the front 3, Theo and AA in particular, but of someone will score for us it will be the meerkat.

Up Nasri’s wages and sign him up. Lets get real worldly.

93. evonne says:

Nasri latest spin – the City deal is off over agent’s fees, let’s hope

11 Frimpongs = 11 yellow cards.

My best mate is Ghanian and he knows Frimpong personally 🙂 He also knows Essien’s family, his brother sells lots of beemers to Essiens

94. Red Arse says:

Sharkey,

Just as well Miguel got on ahead of Squilly. Squilly is injured and not in the squad. 🙂

TV head and shoulders the best player on the pitch.

96. evonne says:

Raddy – yep, true leader an’ all. Is Walcott playing?

97. goonermichael says:

There’s a cashier in the hsbc in tottenham court road called frimpong. Wonder if they’re related.

98. evonne says:

GM – my mate told me that it is a common name in Ghana

Nik warming up 🙂

99. Did anyone notice if Wonderman said he’d do the match report?

100. evonne says:

Peaches – no. Did you shave your armpits before your hols?

101. evonne says:

Frimpong off

102. Why? Did they need it?

103. evonne says:

I haven’t noticed, but TA and RA would, they love hairy women

104. Down to 10 men, can this lot work some magic ………….

Wish Theo remembered how to turn on the burners or do a trick to get passed a man ……………………… maybe he will soon 🙂

105. I’m much too beautiful to be hairy aswell 😳

106. evonne says:

No, he won’t, one good pass so far from him

The situation may force AW to buy quick. This squad cannot match either of the Mancs

107. What a run from Vermaelen – I love him 🙂

108. evonne says:

Another fecking cock up, feck!!

109. Red Arse says:

‘Pool were offside for the goal. Typical!

Walcott? Who is that untalented imposter out there?

110. evonne says:

RA – thank G he is off, he will never make it. Wenger is in a terrible state; fans are great with GiE leading the chorus

111. Double shit 😦 😦 😦

112. goonermichael says:

Not suprising I’m afraid. I’m dreading mancs away.

113. goonermichael says:

Bendy and lansbury sub. Says it all really.

114. goonermichael says:

This is the team we are competing with for a champions league place. I am so pissed off.

115. Positives – Ping Pong just needs to curb his enthusiasm, having Vermaelen back is going to be huge as long as we remember how to be creative and score some goals.

116. Too many people whinge about the defence but if we don’t score we’re never going to win any game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FFS

117. neamman says:

I am not so low actually. The youngsters all looked good ..if I am disappointed with anyone its Song. If he had not stamped on Barton he could have moved back to centre half but to be fair Migual looked good out there. But I agree with McMannaman.. christ we need someone up front. Once again we never looked like scoring.

Positives? The fans were great. We battled. The kids were very good, CJ in particular. TV – brillaint. Chesney the same.

Negatives: Theo and AA were worse than non-existent. They gave no outlet to the MF and didn’t hold up play to allow them to get in the box.

All said and done, both goals were offside. Atkinson and the linesman were piss-poor and we didn’t deserve to lose.

119. SharkeySure says:

Frimpong really surprised me today. I thought he was fantastic.

Tommy V pretty much bullied Carroll from start to finish.

I simply can’t believe that we couldn’t have gotten more oot of Oxlade and Miyaichi on the wings today. Both Walcott and Arshavin were pretty terrible.

120. You can afford to miss a few chances if you score a few chances.

You can afford to have a slip up at the back if you’re ahead or know you can fight back.

Poor Robin, completely isolated 😦

I am not totally surprised we lost but not like this.

Vermealen was magnificent man of the match, and Frimpong was unlucky because he looks the real deal.
    lady luck is not on our side and don’t kid yourselves liverpool are no great shakes.

I am still proud of the boys today but our attack was pretty lame and nasri looked a different person at the end.Theo just doesn’t get involved enough.Ramsey was unlucky with the own goal,but not his best game.

the big worry is the effect it will have on the team.Worrying times ahead but in all honesty did we really deserve to lose ?.
    Well played the attending fans.

122. SharkeySure says:

I wonder if Szczesney has finally put all calls for a new keeper to bed..?? He was very good today.

Enrique looked good at LB today. I hope we didn’t overlook him for the sake of giving Gibbs a chance.

123. Can someone please write a small match report, pretty please 🙂

124. kelsey – you can do one if you like

Spot on Peaches. Goals help. Wow our squad is thin, and I agree with all about Walcott and Arshavin. Explains Arsene’s buying of wingers.

126. SharkeySure says:

Red. I didn’t see any reports on Squid being injured.

127. Buy the wingers …………. play the wingers????? What’s he waiting for?

I thought that was a fantastic performance from most of our team. The main exceptions being AA and Theo… BUT… before all the Theo haters start going overboard, he was double teamed every time he got the ball, which shows the respect Liverpool gave him. He doesn’t have the trickery to beat two defenders unfortunately (unlike Nasri).

Szcz – absolutely brilliant – a tie between him and Verm for MoTM.

Jenkinson – also had a fantastic game. Such a shame about his injury late on.

Kozzer looked good before his injury and Sagna also had a terrific game.

Pingpong looks like a young Yaya. But I can’t believe that he wasn’t told before the game not to get involved in silly stuff – like getting yourself booked over a throw-in.

Nasri looked dangerous.

AA lost the ball pretty much every time he got it.

RvP seemed isolated and mostly ineffective (admittedly he wasn’t getting much service).

Ramsey was OK but seems a little out of his depth. He’s going to be a big player, but no-one should expect him to have the same impact that Jack W had last season. That type of precocity doesn’t come along very often.

In summary, a team with many reserves/debutants, reduced to 10 men with 25 mins to play, further depleted by the injuries to Kozzer and Jenks, were only beaten thanks to an offside goal. And don’t bother mentioning the second goal – we would have been defending very differently if the first had been disallowed (as should have been the case).

And this performance was against a very expensively assembled Liverpool side who had all their top players available apart from Gerrard.

We showed grit and determination and were undone (again) by bad decisions and (again) by our DM getting unnecessarily sent off.

Just looked at six match reports on Newsnow – not one of them mentions that the first goal was offside. It doesn’t fit the preordained script of “crisis-hit Arsenal” not being good enough to compete with “big spending” Liverpool.

The last time that Arsenal failed to score in their first two league games of the season was 42 years ago, back in 1969/70. (BBC 6-0-6)

Those new cannons on the crest are firing blanks.

Peaches
    I can understand him wanting to limit our EPL debutants a tad in a game against a team like Liverpool, hence holding back Oxo and Myachi.

I’m very worried about Arsh. It does look as if he’s one of those players who has prematurely reached the “over the hill” stage of his career.

Kelsey
    Excellent men. That was the season we put in the groundwork for a Double-winning season the following year.

What price are Arsenal to win the Double in 2013?

133. kelsey – do you want to write up your astute observations of the game?

I can’t go back to the pool until someone has volunteered to write a match report so please hurry because I’m schvitzing here by the computer 😦

Sorry for the bombardment of posts – but I would love to know from anyone at the ground:
    what was the atmos like?
    what was Nasri’s reception?
    what about Bendy’s?
    were there any “spend some f******* money” chants? If so, when?

Kelsey
    *excellent omen

136. The thing is that there’s a possibility that both Arsh and Theo (either I mean) could be much more effective in the middle and waiting for them to explode on the wings is costing us points.

137. SharkeySure says:

Wherever they play, being so casual and looking so nonplussed is just unacceptable.

I’d be screaming blue murder if I played alongside those two.

138. Gooner In Exile says:

What can I say? Not a lot I’m pretty hoarse right now.

First off a mention for the crowd they were fantastic today soon after the second went in a small section started “spend some”….you know the rest, and were immediately drowned out by a committed following. Small complaint about those leaving their seats cos they were getting wet.

Jenkinson at Right Back outshone the £20m signing Downing. £35m Carrol was marked out of the game by TV. They looked to play long ball and it didn’t work that’s a good sign.

Need to see Frimpongs second yellow but will forgive for youth. Especially as he was immense today for one so young.

Thought Miquel coped well too.

Szczesney showed everything I needed to see.

But you can see the problem here all the positives were at the back, we were very uncreative going forward. If we had a traditional centre forward

139. Red Arse says:

Sharkey,

I heard a comment to the effect Squilly had a ‘strain’ while in the car this a.m. (me in the car that is). I did not take much notice because I could care less about him to be honest. He was sitting in the stands watching tho’ in fairness.

Sorry, Rocky, but I just cannot agree with you about Theo.
    I admit I am not a big fan anyway, but he brings nothing to the team. He is not a winger and frankly, tho’ I do not want to be too harsh, I would not want him besides me in a fight.

Whenever he receives a ball he passes it back to where it came from, regardless of whether the receiver is already marked, and he seems incapable of simply tapping the ball and running down the wing without falling over, running into the oppo defenders or losing control.

I think that was a stirling effort by the team this afternoon because when things go wrong everything seems to go wrong, but certain players stood up to be counted and AA and Theo did not!
    The result was that the midfield got over-run.

Everyone looked knackered when they came off except for Theo.
    AA ran around and at least tried, but his mojo has gone – perhaps permanently! 😦

140. Gooner In Exile says:

Rocky Nasris reception was muted but then as he showed the doubters he was prepared to play for the cause he was well received.

He tired towards the end and I’m not sure where he ended up playing.

NikBs was half hearted reception at best I was calling for him as for me he was the only chance of a goal at 1 nil down and ‘Pool sitting back.

Vermaelen was pure quality for 90 minutes.

141. Red Arse says:

Sharkey,

There is a blog saying Arsenal’s psychological profiler has revealed on French TV that Squilly has been declared surplus to Arsenal’s defence this season.

Don’t know the truth of that but things may change now with the injuries to Kozzer and Djourou.

On Sky today Squilly was shown sitting next to Djourou in the stand and the commentator or Smithy said they were both ‘unavailable’ implying injury.

Has AW spoken yet?

GiE
    It sounds like there was a bit of a regaining of the Arsenal spirit today. I hope people focus on the many positives out of this game rather than the negatives.

Obviously we still need reinforcements, but it’s not all doom and gloom and the likes of Miquel, Jenks and Pingpong all showed why AW believes in them.

143. Gooner In Exile says:

Rocky I wasnt so sure on the way in was expecting a more insipid crowd but I think Emirates Cup booing and Toon negativity has brought out the silent majority from their slumber

GiE
    Well that, too, is a positive from this game.

I have to say that I agree with myself and RA about Theo.he just doesn’t cut it for me and i predict the Ox wlill take over from him by the end of the season.

Funny preseason everyone thought our defence was the problem,yet when you look at the defence today even after Kos went off they played remarkably well .Only Man U next with hardly a first defender left 😉

146. evonne says:

GiE – they all read your post last week! I could hear you, well done mate

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger on his side’s 2-0 defeat by Liverpool: “It looks like both goals were offside. The referees are (supposed to be) professional.”

just for you rocky.

Thanks Kelsey 🙂
    I went to the pub for breakfast at 7.45am here and left on the final whistle after being subjected to two hours of the most biased co-commentary I’ve ever heard (from Steve McManaman).

Kelsey
    I’m not giving up on Theo yet, but my “inner voice” suspects you might be right. Oxo seems to have more clubs in his golf bag.

150. SharkeySure says:

Cheers Red. Right now I’d rather see Miquel or Bartley play than either of Squid or Djourou

A grinning Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger when asked whether Samir Nasri’s move to Manchester City was off: “I don’t know anything about it.

You have to laugh or jump out of the window 🙂

Been for a quick 10k cycle to get that out my system!

On reflection, we played very well to get to within 6 mins of a draw with 10 men/boys.

I liked Frimpong, he has passionwhich we need. So to does JW, and that is what is lacking with Theo. Yes, he was doubled teamsd wbut his final ball was dreadful and he didn’t create anything for those around him. Saying that, he missed having Sagna on the right as did Ramsey.

AA. What can one say. When I made him my key player it was because if AA had fired we would have won. He didn’t and we didn’t.

153. SharkeySure says:

Nail hit squarely on the head there Mr Lives – ‘more clubs in the bag’ – exactement !!!!

At times, watching Theo is pretty painful.

154. SharkeySure says:

I think Arshhavin at least maintains some element of menace or latent threat about him. Its not often that I can say the same about Theo.

155. SharkeySure says:

So, does Nasri play on Wed in Udine..??

156. barumgooner says:

That might just be the most important result of the season. Lots of positives ( tv, jenks, miguel, ches, pingpong) but also lots of proof (if any were needed) that the squad is threadbare and even AW MUST see that now.

Offer Everton £40m for Baines, Jag and Arteta please Arsene.

Right back from the match.

I feel really sorry for our boys today because most put in a fantastic effort and did not deserve to lose.

TV – words cannot express how good he was
    Sagna – excellent
    Sz – excellent
    Jenkinson very good
    Miguel did very well
    Nasri is class, I’d love to keep him

Frimpong has been let down by the management. I wasn’t the only one to suggest he might pick up a red today but still our training staff couldn’t get into his head sufficiently to help him stay on the pitch. It was obvious he was going to get a second yellow so he should have been protected and replaced by Lansbury early in the second half. But the Pong is a fantastic prospect and no lmore culpable than Song for our defeat today,

Theo is a pointless waste of space. He was only double teamed when received the ball in plenty of space and ran down blind alleys. He is lacking in basic football skills and a pair of cojones. Ryo or the Ox would have done far better today

Rasp
    GiE said the crowd was much more supportive today – was that your view too?
    Did the lads get a good round of applause going off at the end – most of them deserved it?

159. barumgooner says:

True Rasp. I saw Lansbury warming up and thought that we were cleverly replacing Frimpong and then he sat down again only for the inevitable to happen. He did have a good game but after that early yellow was an accident waiting to happen.

The worrying thing about Theo is that he seems to have got slower, and if you take his pace away…

It’s a war zone over at le groan.95% of those will never ever be classed as supporters.

Good assessment Rasp.

just watched Szesney’s save from Carroll again it was magnificent,their only real self created chance when 11-11.

Rasp
    Btw, I completely agree with you about Pingpong. With Song out for three games you would think someone in the coaching staff would have said to him “don’t get any silly cards” – and he ends up getting yellowed for arguing about a throw-in of all things. Dumber and dumberer.

163. Gooner In Exile says:

I just read Beebs match report I didn’t even realise Adam was playing! In fact I didn’t think Liverpool did anything til they put on Suarez and Merieles when a man up.

The best of Frimpong today was after his shot, he started raising the crowd to support, others could learn a lot.

evone arsenal are now 16 to 1 for the league.double up girl.

Hi Rocky, barum, kelsey,

Yes, the crowd were very supportive. There were a few mumbles when Nasri’s name was called out prior to the game, but we actually started singing his song when he started to perform.

Quite a few started to leave when the 2nd goal went in and there were some boos at the end but I couldn’t tell who they were directed at.

I stayed to the end to clap the players off the pitch and so did quite a few others.

The talk on the train wasn’t too bitter either. In the circumstances I think the team did really well.

It is true that Everton are in real financial trouble, surely we could accomodate Jagielka and Cahill in our squad. We do need a clinical striker too I think.

Hi GiE, my you’ve got a loud voice/shout, I don’t know how I missed you in the Tavern?

I thought Frimpong was bossing the midfield just before he got sent off. He was conducting the play more than Ramsey who toiled but had few opportunities to show his class.

Frimpong is a real diamond, and he has a good range of passing in addition to his work rrate and tackling. I have very high hopes for him as long as we can manage his temperament.

RL @4.35 that is an excellent point following on what Rasp said, but someone should have told him or subbed him knowing Song still has a two match ban. it’s not rocket science.

168. SharkeySure says:

I was surprised by how good on the ball Frimpong was today. I’m absolutely gutted that he was sent off today, and agree that we really should have taken the matter out of his hands.

Having said that, its a tough call to take off pretty much your best ‘upfield’ player.

169. California Gooner says:

Hard to know what to think. On the one hand, a very brave performance, particularly by our debutantes– Jenkinson, Frimpong and Miquel. Very heartening, that. On the other hand, we offered nothing at all going forward. Theo and AA were off pace, but also quite isolated. And then we go to ManU without a proper DM, without Nasri, and without Koscielny. It is almost too ridiculous to contemplate! I am not in a bad mood (and yes, losses put us in a bad mood), but somewhat amused at the predicament Wenger is in at this point.

170. Gooner In Exile says:

We can’t even appeal and delay as it’s a two yellow red. Frimpong was great today….so good. Nicking possession moving the ball tackling. Quite a few around me obviously follow him on Twitter and were screaming DEEEENCH no one knows what the he’ll it means but it’s his catchphrase.

Rasp I’m not sure how you missed us either, good that Oh To Be a Gooner in the tunnel led to me and Harry catching up with you briefly.

Apparently the french (as RA suggested ) media say the nasri deal has collapsed due to agents fees, same reports here and they state he is staying at arsenal which most probably means he will face us next week 🙂

Hi Sharkey, I agree Frimpong was the heartbeat to the side for a while. I don’t think RvP is quite match fit yet, I would never question his commitment.

It comes to something when the best driving forward run and shot comes from a centreback. TV tried to do everything today. I don’t think he missed a header and certainly kept Carol very quiet.

I would expect Nasri to sign a new contract if he stays with a get-out clause should a ‘big club’ (big paying more likely) come in for him next year.

He was classy today and performed without any hint of bad attitude, we need players like him in the squad.

174. Red Arse says:

Rasp,

I am interested that you heard some boo-ing at the end of the game.

Watching on TV I was sure I heard it too, but wanted to know from someone who was there.

Redknap, in the follow up, said he was disappointed that Arsenal had been boo-ed in the first home game of the season, following on from the boo-ing at Newcastle.

Some very upset fans out there, I think!

No after match interview from Arsene during the TV coverage, anyone heard anything since?

Kelsey
    @4.55 🙂
    You wouldn’t bet against it!

Hi RA,

There was definitely some booing, but no more than I’ve heard before when we’ve lost. It’s pretty mindless and as I said earlier, it wasn’t clear who or what it was directed at although those who stayed let the ref know how they felt when he walked off (he gives wankers a bad name) – so maybe it was the result and the ref who were the target.

There were no ‘spend some ****ing money chants’ and I was unaware of any bad feeling aimed at AW.

177. Gooner In Exile says:

RA there was a very brief boo but where is was we all turned round and told them to shut up. Then applause broke out, booing was then reserved for ref as he exited.

Booing is much louder and it doesn’t take a lot to sound louder than it is.

178. evonne says:

Kelsey – good idea! Cheers mate! I am already down, keep kicking me in the teeth 😦

Like I said, this might turn out the best thing that happened – the transfer window is still open and AW should bloody jump through it trying to get defenders and a striker. And push Walcott out, if he can

Incidentally, Nik looked sharp and hungry when he came on, I’d have subbed Theo for him earlier, I’d really like to keep him and give him more time on the pitch if we’re not going to bring in another striker.

Pool didn’t particularly impress me considering the money they’ve been spending, if we were anywhere near full strength we’d have won quite comfortably.

180. Red Arse says:

Thanks for the update guys. that is encouraging!

I borrowed this from somewhere, for you.

Wenger post match interview:

Asked about the future of Nasri, who has less than 12 month remaining on his current contract, Wenger said: “I don’t know more than you about that. I think he had a good game and I said before the game that he was committed to play and he did not only play but he played well. I always said that I would try to keep Samir Nasri and I have never changed my mind on it because I played him today.

“He loves the club, he wants to play for us, if we decide to sell him we will do it and we have to stand up for it. At the moment I am happy he is here.”

Of his side’s display and the result, Wenger said: “We had eight players out and still had a good performance, so it is not all doom and gloom.

“We live under circumstances where every defeat is an absolutely a disgrace and an earthquake. We are very disappointed that we lost the game, but we are at the start of the season.

“The target is to have a good team and good players. You can spend money and have a bad team. You want the supporters to be happy and when you don’t win the game you can understand that they are not.

“For now it is important for us to lift the players because they are very disappointed today. We need to give them credit for their attitude and performance today, in the game it is very harsh to lose it the way we did.”

Asked about the dismissal of teenager Frimpong, who received a yellow card in each half, Wenger said: “Frimpong was a victim of his lack of experience and of his enthusiasm and heart. He deserved a second yellow card, he should not have gone into that challenge.”

Actually, I think Pingpong could gave got a straight red card for his tackle. It was not nice.

181. harry says:

Afternoon all, well firstly to be honest I went to the emirates today expecting the worse, cannot remember the last time i went to a match, thinking this is going to hurt………

We might have lost, but the boys done well overall and the result flattered a very poor liverpool, who needed a referee and a sending off to help them…….if thats our competition for 4th place, I’ll have fifty on it now…….

Pretty much agree with most of what has been said: But my usual list of points……….

1. TV was MotM – Awesome – If only he was there last season…….
    2. Szczesny – Number 1 and will be the premier league goalie of the season.
    3. Jenkinson – much better at right back and more assured.
    4. Miquel – Excellent performance, although i can hear wenger now, well we dont need another at the back…..
    5. Frimpong – tingtong dingdong what an Ox – thought the first yellow card was so harsh – but once he had it he was always going to get another with his style and that ref….
    6. Nasri was a consummate professional and i hope he stays.
    7. Theo needs the team to play to his strengths and not play it to his feet, play in front and watch him run onto it.
    8. Arshavin was bizarre today, a real dolly mixture of a game, he would do something good and then cock it up…….gave the ball away a lot………
    9. Van persie was isolated and wasted, why not drop deeper and put someone ahead of him, especially at 10men?
    10. Ramsey, tried and worked hard but he was too complacent at times and was robbed of the ball continually.
    11. Sagna, solid game as usual and got forward well.
    12. The atmosphere was ok and the crowd generally got behind the team. At the start there was some boos at Nasri name, but his name was sung with gusto when he showed some fight and fair play to him, he didnt hide and got stuck in. He did showed frustration at some inability of some players towards the end….
    13. The inevitable “Spend your pennies” or similar was shouted but very quickly drowned out….
    14 some boos at the end and some stupid comments from some fans who quite honestly are clueless.
    15. I had a good match sat next to chas and at least we saw the same game from the same view, so technically we saw the same??? Thanks to chas for the ticket for my sons mate, who enjoyed the occasion if not the result………

Summary:

Onwards and upwards, keep the faith, big match wednesday with several key players back, with all the rumours of nasri deal falling through, will he play v udinese?

Oh I forgot:

Moment of the day:

Myself and GIE were climbing the stairs by highbury house on the way to the ground, GIE boomed out “Oh to be a Gooner” I joined in, but alas no other fans, so we tried again, then 1 fan ahead of us joined in the singing, he turned round, it was RASP…….Get in the AAers True Gooners……..

182. evonne says:

Harry – well done! I would have joined too! Rasp – 🙂 🙂

But I am glad you went with Chas instead of me! Not only I would be called a ticket stealing ratbag and scumbag, but I would cry, I so wanted them to win today

Great to hear all the first hand reports. The support on the TV sounded superb, so well done to you guys.
    As I said earlier, I would be delighted for Nasri to stay, but want him out left in place of AA with Gerv right. That still leaves room for a Cesc replacement. RvP was definately short on quality ammunition in my book.
    I was so impressed with Frimpong (he’ll learn) and of course Verm. Still two quality players short of being right there in contention. I am sure all will be well.

Harry,
    Great point about Nasri and Udinese. That will tell us all we need to know.

Bang on Micky. If Samir stays he gives us a left side option. Add in Ryo and we look strong in that position.

Theo will become an impact sub when RvP and Gerv gel.

But how fantastic is Chesney? Hard to believe this is still a boy of 21 who has played less than 20 games. He looks world calss already.

186. harry says:

Yep, if he plays, then he stays or we’ll get a lot less for him, for me he should sign a year extension with a get out agreement to release etc…win win for me, we get a quality player, stop the exodus, he gets a wage increase with an option to move on if he still feels not happy with our potential…….he didnt want city remember it was evra that started all this……..

187. harry says:

Raddy, I stand by my comment, Szczesny will be the premier league keeper of the season, if he stays fit cause with our luck, the odds are against us…….

BR,
    My 11 year old son has just about ousted Sagna from his favourite Gunner spot and replaced him with Chesney. He is a very wise chap.

Jenkinson played the last 10 minutes battling against cramp. He could only run at 70 %, I hope he hasn’t done any other damage and will be available for Udinese. The lad gave everthying today, I expect it will take several days for his body to recover.

With the expectation that we will get stronger as the season progresses, I think it is vital we stay in the CL.

190. harry says:

I am actually really positive now about the Udinese match, I am thinking 3-1 and then a draw at Old trafford……. a couple of signings and the season ahead looks so different………

Nowhere have I seen criticism of the linesman. Both goals were offside and the first was a clear and simple decision.

On Danish TV they were very complimentary about AFC and scathing about the officials. It is typical that nothing is mentioned in the British press.

I know this is a little premature, but who can we play against Udinese. RvP? Song?

BR,
    Lets get our house in order, start scoring and sod the refs.

Hi micky, I believe RvP (ban finished), Song and frimpog can play against Udinese. I expect Miguel will have to partner TV as centre back so toady would have been good practice for him.

Cesc tweeted words of support for Arsenal during the gameand bigged up his mate Miguel as a future Arsenal defensive star.

195. Red Arse says:

Harry,

Great summation thank you.

It is often different watching on TV to actually being at the ground, so hearing from you, GIE and Rasp as well as others who went, gives a better flavour of how the game was experienced.

Can I comment on a couple of points you made?

Rambo may have appeared a bit casual from the stands, but the TV gave a number of close ups that showed he was really grimacing and shaking his head when he got things wrong. When you see the highlights you will see what I mean.

I know you rate Theo and always like to be even handed, but tho’ I understand what you mean when you say — ‘the team should play to Theo’s strengths’ — I have a different take on it.

Surely Theo should play for the team, and its needs (to give the defence an outball, to pose an attacking threat etc) and not the other way around.

If he is incapable of holding the ball up, running down the wing past a defender, and then looking up and crossing a good ball, well then he is not good enough. In addition he does not have heart.

Sorry, but there it is. I hope you don’t mind me saying what I see?

Thanks Rasp,
    Presumably Gerv can play as well.
    Hunky Dory.

197. London says:

I agree with it all pretty much, the only thing that has been forgetten for the perspective of those who were unable to attend was that the team got a standing ovation as they came of at half time.

And people are being too polite about Ramsey’s contribution but I will hold fire until I see him play with Wilshere.

198. Gooner In Exile says:

Interesting pick up on Ramsey Harry, I noticed a couple of times where ge turned to shield (keep) the ball but had it nicked.

When Wilshere and Nasri do the same they make sure the only way to get the ball is to commit a foul by putting there body in the way. Ramsey could also have chosen to touch forward and buy a free kick from the onrushing challenge. He’ll learn.

I’m still laughing at how Carrol £35m 6ft4 and 14 stone was outjumped and outmuscled for as long as he was on the pitch by TV, when he got his header on goal it was just after Kozzer departed and he went to play on Miquel. Carroll also fell over a lot for such a big strong boy! Pony tail clearly not his only girly (sorry Peaches/Evonne) trait

Hi London,
    I agree we are being rather nice about Ramsey, but at least he doesn’t go around writing books and saying the team needs strenghtening, when quite often it is the sort of person who goes around writing books and saying the team needs strenghtening who is the one who needing replacing.

London,
    Hoping very hard you have been right all along about Nasri. If he stays, I will buy you something pleasant you can eat.

201. Red Arse says:

Micky, 🙂

202. Jamie says:

The sending off had an impact and so did the offside goal obviously but if any of you think the this shot shy performance would have beaten Swansea let alone Liverpool you are in denial. Been supporting Arsenal less time than most of you, since 1986 but I can honestly say this is the worst side/squad I have seen. This side make to 95/96 squad look like the 1988 Dutch squad

Hi London, I agree Rambo didn’t have his best game and as I said earlier, The Pong was more influential on the play in the 2nd half up until his enthusiasm got the better of him.

You are absolutely right, I cannot remember the team getting a warmer reception when walking off at half time. The guy next to me was a really positive vocal supporter. I turned to him and said ‘its only a matter of time before pool score’ when we were tiring with 10 men. He agreed but said as I felt, that the team had given a very good account of itself. I can’t be angry at those boys for losing.

Incidentally, that must be one of the youngest (average age) sides we’ve put out – and we’ve had a few.

204. Red Arse says:

London,

Your confidence in promising to eat your hat, if Nasri left, is very spooky, given 99.999’% of the universe thought he would go!

Can you give me tonight’s Lottery numbers asap, please? 🙂

205. harry says:

Red Arse,

no problem, I understand your comment……..But I am resolute, that at times a team has to understand how to get the best out of a gem. He is wasted at the moment. DOnt get me wrong he has to take a bit of responsibility, he aint a fresh faced 17yr old anymore, get some gumption and tell people where you want the ball…….

On Ramsey, I rated him so highly, He will be the replacement for Cesc, but he will take time to get back to his level, before he trys to get to cesc level, I feel its just one season too early for him……If Nasri stays he will benefit or if wenger brings in a central creative player…….

Yeah GIE

35million for Carroll and 20m for Henderson, um spend your money wenger but as wise you do……..

Yes micky,

RVP is back, Gerv, Song, frimpong ting tong and maybe Nasri…

If KOzzer is out, I would play Miquel at the back with TV….. Although Djourou might be back………

206. Red Arse says:

Excuse me Mr Rasp, but I think it is a bit mean to call the Ping – the Pong.

If this continues, I will have to revert to referring to you by your full AA name.

Mr Raspberry calling the Ping – the Pong – has a certain je ne sais quoi! 🙂

207. harry says:

Havent seen the TV replays yet, were both goals offside?

208. evonne says:

Guys, guys, I am watching Chavs losing 1:0 to WBA! But that is not the best – the best bit is the dead silence at the Bridge 🙂

The only thing you can hear is Gervinho chatting on his mobile – why is he there??

209. Red Arse says:

Harry,

The first was definitely offside.

The second looked offside too, as Suarez was off – came back on and then tapped in the cross, but by then Jenkinson’s and Miguel’s legs were not working and it did not really matter!

210. Gooner In Exile says:

Jamie I don’t think anyone is saying we would have won with eleven men. But I don’t think they would have beaten us. And that’s important.

Let’s not forget we were missing a key player at the moment one Jack Wilshere, add his passing with Nasri ahead of Song/Frimpong then you have some more threat.

Add Gerv in place of Theo or Arsh and we start to look more mobile up front too and carry some of RvPs workload.

211. Red Arse says:

Evonne, have you tried turning the sound on via the remote? 🙂

212. Red Arse says:

True GIE.

Red Arse,

I think tough players should sound a bit mean, therefore the Pong, joins the Gerv and the Ox in my nomenclature. Besides that, I like the sound of the Song/Pong partnership

Jamie, I think the reason some of us are unexpectedly upbeat is that the perforrmances of TV, Sz, Sagna, Jenks and Pong were so good. If we can get Jack back and keep Nasri as well as bringing in a couple of gooduns, we can be optimistic.

215. harry says:

Well evonne if you can hear him on his mobile, ask him because you must be talking ti him, lol……

Red Arse, cheers, will watch Motd later forgot to sky plus the match, bit rusty start of season and all that…..

Jamie@6.04 – lets keep calm and see where this squad is when the window shuts, the analogy you gave was a bit extreme…..But one point you made is where our problem lies from last season and its not the defence, its in the goal scoring stakes is our major problem…

My only concern with the defence is that, if no one else comes in, then TV must stay fit…………….

216. Red Arse says:

Fair enough Raspberry — plluuuuup — I beg your pardon!

217. harry says:

For those in TV land today, what was with the closing scenes of the coverage aimed at wenger, i have heard someone call it shameful and prove of a media conspiracy?

218. Jamie says:

This is not a sudden over reaction. TV, Frimpong, SZ, Sagna played well because they are good players. Unfortunately we don’t have enough good players and we have a lot of sun standard ones.

We don’t score enough and we concede too many goals that isn’t a good combination.

They are the worst squad I have ever seen at arsenal. I won’t budge that.

UEFA cup team by thursday

219. evonne says:

Harry – I did ask him, he went with his DNA mate Drogs

220. Red Arse says:

Harry,

The camera showed a ‘drowned’ Arsene, bent forward from the waist, in his seat, and frantically running his hands thru his sodden hair.

He looked the picture of misery.

Then he was shown animatedly throwing his arms out, while sounding off to Pat Rice, etc, etc.

Much like he was at the end of last season when the stress and frustration were getting to him.

First home match of the season and I am worried about his health if he lets it get to him like this each game.

Conspiracy? Not sure about that,

221. harry says:

A lot of sub standard players?

Well from the first team squad list on arsenal.com lets look eh?

Almunia is still on there – thats 1
    Squillaci – I’ll give you him, thats 2…..
    Eastmond is on the list, I’ll give you him…….thats 3…….

These need fine tuning:

Traore – Jury out, he’s been away lets give him a chance..
    Diaby – difficult on his day, unplayable, just so inconsistent…
    Chamakh – needs to find his form, had a great start to his arsenal career, but has slid away….difficult one…….
    Arshavin needs to up his game……

Right after that all the others are genuine first teamers or able back ups…….

So who are your sub standard ones?

I understand Jamie. Did you go?

I would defy anyone who attended not to feel some level of appreciation for the performance today. As London said the team were clapped off at half time. It seeemed inevitable that we would run out of steam because we were working so hard and even more so when down to 10 men.

I have been told by many to be patient and keep faith until the transfer window closes and that is what I intend to do.

I shall state my position once that landmark is passed. I do not agree we need that many players, 2 in the right positions and we are back to where we were last season, 3 and we will be stronger – assuming the players are of the right quality.

223. harry says:

Cheers red arse………

No, thank you, harry. At least you were dry. Did the boys get soaked?
    I think we saw the same game!
    Your 5:24 is bang on and should really have been the match report for the raven-haired warrior princess who’s not hairy at all.

I think it was my fault we missed Rasp what with skulking inside the pub. Great that you all made some noise together though.

I wasn’t going to bother with MOTD but might now as there seems a few incidents worth revisiting.

225. Red Arse says:

I have been watching the Chelsea v WBrom match and I am struck by the disciplined way both teams defence and midfields move in unison.

Again from TV, I thought our lads had no easily discernible ‘formation’ and allowing for all the changes to the team etc they looked very uncoordinated with the midfield leaving acres of room between themselves and the defence, which only got worse as tired legs came into play.

Would anyone who was at the stadium like to give an opinion from ‘ringside’ and perhaps an explanation to go with their observation.

I am no expert but the coaching of the midfield/defence art form seemed to be lacking, or do we encourage this ‘loose’ formation to confuse the opposition?

To this fan, if that is the case, it tends to cause more confusion to our team and less effective defending. But what do I know?

226. harry says:

@Rasp……….AMEN……………..

#### I would defy anyone who attended not to feel some level of appreciation for the performance today######

Lets get to the window and then look through it…………….

First goal was definitely off (half a yard, but crystal clear with the lino standing 6 or 7 yards away looking right at it).

Second is all about interpretation. Suarez was in an offside position when the ball was played forward for Lucas, who was onside. Lucas then passed sideways to Suarez (who was now onside) to tap in.

We need one of resident refs to figure out the second one. But it’s kind of irrelevant – the bad decision for the first goal was the one that counted – if we had not conceded that one we would have been defending differently.

228. goonermichael says:

If we get to the level of last season that’s 4th. The best we can hope for IMO.

Rasp
    Even watching on the TV I felt curiously optimistic after that performance.
    However, the optimism may dwindle if we don’t strengthen before the end of the window.

230. Red Arse says:

Spot on Rocky. 🙂

Bugger — Chelsea have just gone 2:1 up!! Poor goal!

They’re going to say the first goal wasn’t offside because the ball never reached Suarez.

I’m with you there Rocky. I think with the situation at Everton the way it is, we can assume that there are some pretty good players available – it’s just if we have the will?

233. harry says:

christ officials are useless, is there any good ones out there?

Ash cole has just scissor tackled odenwingiye (?) and oden gets booked………..He has been fouled 3 or 4 times by chelsea and man handled by terry…..

234. Jamie says:

Harry – all the players you mentioned are sub standard in my opinion. AA aside, who needs q kick up the backside.

Almunia, Squillaci, Traore, Diaby, Rosicky(only for the injuries), Chamakh, Lansbury,Eastmond, probably Bendtner.

Jenkinson and Frimpong are genuine talented rookies.

Rasp – I did go. I did applaud, i didn’t boo, didn’t join the chants of spend some erring money, sung the teams name at the end. Most of them put In the effort but most of them should not have been there for one realm or another.

1) Wenger needs two established players – he won’t sign them. I think we are being lied to.
    2) We will be a UEFA cup team on Thursday.

If he suceeds in both of these i will perform a forfeit!

3) tell me we couldn’t have signed Cahill and Parker?
    4) how is “a tough start” an excuse for Wenger when he has had the fixture list for weeks.

Not trying to wind people up, apologies if I have caused offence.

I just wish Arsene could find his Midas touch again.

I agree with Harry, we might not have deserved to win but we definitely didn’t deserve to lose.
    How in God’s name is he going to pick this quad up for the next important 2 matches,and by the way the Nasri deal is still on to go to City.

OK, thanks Jamie, I wasn’t questioning your support.

It is too important to Arsenal’s prospects for the coming season and potentially damaging to relations on the site to get into the ‘what if he doesn’t debate’ at this difficult time.

That doesn’t means you haven’t the right to raise your points, far from it, but right now I want to believe we will strengthen significantly.

We will not shirk from discussing the issue come September 1st if your prediction is proved correct.

That’s a shame kelsey, I was basing my predictions on Nasri staying, I guess I got too excited by his performance today. Without Nasri, we really need 3 more players.

Do you know if Nik has found a new club?

238. harry says:

I am not offended jamie, takes alot……..

Just disagree mainly, but I can see some of what you say, but as rasp said and I have continously, I will judge wenger when that window closes, yes perhaps he should have done all of his business by now, but not one of us knows whats happening in the background…….

Rosicky is far from sub standard – across the newcastle and udinese game, he was our best player, for me he is a talented squad player, he cant do 90 anymore, but he is experienced and a leader. Diaby and Lansbury are good squad players……

For me Wenger has really got rid of a lot of deadwood, which is what we wanted……..

Hi Jamie
    I don’t share your pessimism but I respect your view and the way you express it. I certainly expect us to qualify on Wednesday – we have a great record in Italy.

Kelsey
    Like Rasp, I was hoping that Nas would stay now, following the game and AW’s gnomic comments. Are you 100% sure?

A note for everyone who dismissed our defensive performance against Newcastle because “they’re a rubbish relegation fodder team.” They won today away at Sunderland, whom many have tipped for a top 8 finish.

Some people always want to put the worst possible interpretation on everything Arsenal do at the moment.

Rasp/RL

i am not the oracle but I would say judging by Wenger’s comments having now actually seen them, I think the deal is done it’s just the agent trying to maximise things to his own benefit and even though we need Nasri i just can’t let the club let him run down his contract and walk off.
    All I know about bendtner is that he wants away and PSG are favorites,but there again his dad/agent is trying to maximise the deal.Nic and Wenger are finished as a couple so to speak.

242. Jamie says:

They showed a lot of heart and I do have some sympathy with Wenger that all his problems seem to be mounting up at the same time. There is a bit of a media conspiracy, certain of that. Sky would love it if he got sacked.

Lastly, who would we get? Would they pick a big name a proven coach? Would they bull. We would end up with Hodgson, Moyes or someone else not good enough.

So we need Arsene even if all I have said is true. Because the alternatives are to bleak to contemplate.

If we do get the players we need and qualify for the champs league I will happily do a post deadline piece fir AA stating that “Arsene knows and that I am a muppet.” I just can’t see it.

As for the “what if he doesn’t” I will leave that for now.

243. Match report?????????????????????????

244. TotalArsenal says:

Hi AA’ers,

Like most of you, I have mixed feelings about today’s game, but predominantly positive ones (which have all been mentioned by Harry, GiE, and others).

The central midfield functions are not working at all for us at the moment: our two DM’s (Newcastle and now Liverpool) get rightly send off, and yet they played very well for us until then. Rambo is struggling to dominate midfield and the wing-players offer no support to him at all, and RvP is totally isolated upfront. True, if and when Wilshere returns it is likely to change, but a team the size of Arsenal should not have to rely on Wilshere that much.

We either need to move to 4-4-2 and use our (new) wingers much more, or need to buy an attacking/creative midfielder asap.

245. London says:

Hi TA

“Need to buy an attacking/creative midefielder asap”………Diaby.

Don’t shoot me but you know if you posed that desire to Wenger he would put forward the name of Abu Diaby.

246. TotalArsenal says:

London, that is a good point. Both Diaby and Rosicky are good to have in the team and offer something in that department. But you know as much as I do, that they are not 10-15 goals/15-20 assists a season material. It has been a long, long time since I have seen Arsenal so badly dominate midfield – the system isn’t working at the moment. What do you think?

247. TotalArsenal says:

Peaches, Rasp, it will not help you much now, but I am happy to do the post match report for Wednesday’s game ahead.

from AW

on Samir Nasri’s future…
    I don’t know [what will happen]. I always said that I would try to keep Samir Nasri and I have never changed my mind on it because I played him today, to the surprise of everybody. He loves the Club, he wants to play for us, if we decide to sell him we will do it and we have to stand up for it. At the moment I am happy he is here. I don’t know if he will play on Wednesday, we will just play the game.

249. California Gooner says:

TotalArsenal, good point regarding our midfield being dominated. That happened a year ago at OT as well. And it surprised me. There, Anderson marked Song out of the game, negating our ability to take the ball out of defense, while Park tucked in and essentially added a fourth midfielder for the Mancs. I think that for our midfield to really work, one of our wingers has to tuck in as well. usually that would be nasri, but he was already playing in the midfield. Both Theo and Arshivin were out-wide. So, quite simply, we were out numbered. It did not help that we are missing a player with Cesc (or Jack)’s ability to hold onto the ball under pressure…

250. London says:

TA

I agree the system isn’t working, although, it was fairly predictable that the midfield would take time to re-shape itself after the loss of Fabregas. As to what to do, it is surely impossible to say until we know the outcome of the Nasri situation.
    But a couple of things are clear and that is Song and Frimpong will be the DM’s this season, Wilshere will be the link man which leaves a choice between, Rosicky, Ramsey, Diaby and Nasri if he stays, all of which can play the Cesc role. As to which one makes it their own, that is not clear yet but if Nasri stays I do not expect us to sign a new midfielder, although, I certainly do if he goes.

251. London says:

My interprtation of the Wenger comments are that the club have said to Nasri that we want you to stay but you are not going to be allowed to run down your contract, so sign, under these incredibly generous terms or we will sell you.

252. evonne says:

The biggest positive from the game, for me, was the players’ attitude, which was better than I have seen for many months. They have actually tried, worked very hard, show some aggression and desire. Even useless (sorry, cannot help myself) Theo was eyeballing the ref and that was probably his most visible presence. They looked determined and I loved it.

I have also noticed how the fans’ cheering lifted the game; each time there was a roar from the stands, the players accelerated a bit. Did I just imagine that? I think not

253. evonne says:

SS – I have been trying to provoke you all day, all to avail 😦

254. SharkeySure says:

As well as Nasri played today, I’ll be happy enough to see him go (and replaced.??)

There’s no doubt that he’s a real talent with dazzling feet, but I just feel that he hogs the ball a bit, dribbles a bit too much, and mainly seems to play for himself.

I rarely see him look to pass the ball more than ten yards, and generally he only ‘lends’ the ball to a team mate when he does actually pass it (ie he wants it straight back again!)

On one occasion today he cut in from the right with a great opp for a shot to fly across Reina, instead he looked to beat the man again by cutting back in and the ball ran out of play.

When he’s bursting thru and being direct then I’m happy enough, but too often I think he slows our play down with his twisting and turning.

If he’s going to stay and play at CM then I feel that he’ll need to changer his game (if he can) cos at the moment I never feel that he’s going to make any one else around him look good, which is pretty important for a CM fulcrum/playmaker.

255. Wonderman says:

Evening,

@ Rasp- been having some IT probs, match report submitted

256. SharkeySure says:

You just ran thru my mind ETL (I won;t say in what state) as I have noted a couple of references and the odd howdy (my mum always said ‘howdy’), and I was aware that I needed to let Chas know just how lucky he was today.

Chas, last bloke sat beside ‘our Evonne’ at a game was awol for about ten days after. On the upside, you do get to sit with your hand on her knee for 90mins !!

257. London says:

8:47 Very interesting observation SS

258. SharkeySure says:

Well played WM, just about to call you.

I almost ‘volunteered’ myself earlier, on the basis that I’d pass it on to you later.

259. SharkeySure says:

ETL, consider me poked and provoked !! Yer ticket stealing ratbag, and kidnapper. Although I’d reckon most of your ‘victims’ develop Stockholm Syndrome within the first 20mins.

260. evonne says:

SS – I do love you 🙂

As soon as I saw Chas advertising the ticket (this morning) I tried to jump the queue and snatch it! And then I remembered the abuse I got from you and tried even harder 🙂 Oh well, Harry went today, perhaps I will be the lucky one next time

261. evonne says:

SS – they would if I was as charming as you pet 🙂

262. SharkeySure says:

I’ve thought it for a while London.

Not wishing to denigrate his great run and shot today, but at the end he had Theo wide open to his right, but chose not to play him in. Our dearly departed skipper always always always made the perfect choice no matter the pressure he was under.

I always felt that He brought the best out of all those around him, and that he deliberately and intentionally set out to do so.

Its a little harsh (?) to compare Nasri to Him I know, but I just did and its done now, so tough. 😉

263. SharkeySure says:

“I tried to jump the queue and snatch it! And then I remembered the abuse I got from you and tried even harder ” – Brilliant !!!

Love you too

264. Wonderman says:

Sharkey will ding you in a mo

265. TotalArsenal says:

London, in the 4-2-3-1 formation that we play, I would prefer jack to be in middle of the ‘3’ and not Ramsey, Diaby or Rosicky. Wilshire is a lot closer to the ‘Cesc role’ than Ramsey or Diaby – and better at it than Rosicky.

266. TotalArsenal says:

CG, you are spot on regarding the need to have a player who can hold on to the ball under pressure. Both Nasri and especially Jack can do that in the middle of midfield – the latter was phenomenal in doing so against Barca at home: and it does not get any tougher than that.

Maybe London is right in saying that if we keep Nasri we do not really need cover for Jack. Jack is the better player though, as he can pick a pass as well, although Nasri is ahead again in terms of goal-threat.

267. Gooner In Exile says:

So song and Frimpong as the 2 and Nasri Wilshere Gervinho as the 3?

I really believe that’ll work.

268. TotalArsenal says:

SS, should have read your 8.47 before putting out my last comment – and London is right to compliment you on it.

269. SharkeySure says:

I kijnd of agree Total, Wilshire is a class act, and I really do expect to see assists and goals from him season.

Diaby is the enigma (no shit Sherlock??) who can do everything but often does very little. With Cesc gone, Abou might just be the one to play closest to RVP.

270. SharkeySure says:

No worries Total, we actually concur don’t we.(?)

Jack has that selflessness that I like in a CM player. He even tries to make those shitbags that he plays with in the national team look good.

271. SharkeySure says:

Slightly off topic

Pressed seams in jeans…lol

272. TotalArsenal says:

GiE, hi. Did you enjoy your ‘day out’? The two could indeed be Song and Frimpong, or either of those with Ramsey or Diaby, and your three sounds great too and can be changed occasionally with the likes of Ryo, Ox, Arshavin and Theo. However, we do not really have a replacement for Jack as nobody can pick a pass like him. Hopefully, hopefully we see somebody join before end of TW – Jadson of Shaktar D sounds a promising prospect…

Thanks wonderman, gratefully received 🙂

TA, we’d love you to do the post match report for Wednesday’s game – ta

274. harry says:

Song and “Frimpong-tingtong-dingdong” would be a good solid axis against many teams that try and rough us up, they will bulldoze them……..

But against the better teams I see Ramsey in there beside song, if nasri stays (still BIG IF) then the attacking 3 of Nas Jack and G man would be something special, with RVP ahead…….

That would leave a hell of alot of options on the bench………theo, arshavin, AOC, Ryo, with diaby / rosicky / Frimpong cover for the middle…….

So much for a weak squad……..it just we have started with such bad luck with injuries and suspensions……..

2 more in, 3 if Nasri goes, would give us a strong and diverse squad….

275. Gooner In Exile says:

It was an enjoyable day TA, until I arrived at Norwich Train Station and bumped into my Bro in Law who is a ‘Pool fan who told me the goal wasn’t dubious.

Chas haven’t watched your vid will wait to see how MOTD analyse. If the defence is as you say he doesn’t touch the ball it’s a mockery is Miquel expected to let the ball run and hope the lino gives it? If that’s not seeking to and gaining an advantage I don’t know what is…..similar to the Saha/Kozzer decision last season….aren’t these things supposed to even themselves out?

As for midfield defensive issues RA raised earlier I thought whilst Frimpong was on the park it wasn’t too bad. We coped well and limited them to a few chances.

I will say this there seemed a hunger about our youngsters today. Many ran their socks off and it has to be infectious.

THe defence did not deserve to lose that game today and especially not have two against on the scoresheet.

By the way when the “Spend some” chants came it was unfortunate that it seemed to come from RedAction corner

276. London says:

TA

A minor adjustement: it’s not that I think that we don’t need another midfielder, its more the case that I don’t believe Wenger will buy another one if Nasri stays.

277. Gooner In Exile says:

Bloody hell Jonothan Pearce calling the first goal as offside and Hansen saying no red card = draw. And praising the performance.

Maybe everyone is beginning to realise they’ve gone a bit far

278. SharkeySure says:

“beginning to realise they’ve gone a bit far”

Well said GiE

For the media we were there for taking even at 11 v 11. The expectation was that Carrol and co would come and run riot .

Like you (?) said earlier…£35m for Carroll, £20m for Henderson !!!!

I must ask Liverpool fans if they are happy hoofing the ball up to a big lump, when they have a player of Suarez’s ability available.

279. TotalArsenal says:

GiE, they are starting to feel sorry for us 😦 And that after two/three games into the season.. BTW, I watched game in a pub in Golden Triangle area and Gooners were well-outnumbered by Liverpool supporters.

London, that is how I understood it. You like to reason how Arsene thinks, but it is not necessarily how you think… 🙂

280. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Well its morning here in paradise. I’ve slept off my footy match day beer consumption, consumed while watching my local team coast into the Grand Final, again. But what of Arsenal?

Well, when the commentator says he actually/sincerely feels sorry for arsenal, you know its bad.

No more rhetoric from the manager, its time for real action or else something worse than not making it through to the CL group stage and/or Top 4 in the PL will happen.

Heres a clue, what could happen has never, ever happened to The Club in its 125 year history.

281. TotalArsenal says:

well said Gnarley! 🙂

Night to all.

282. gunnern5 says:

Gnarley,@ 11:20 pm.

I assume you are eluding to relegation, well we were relegated one time in 1912/1913 with a record of 3 wins, 12 ties and 23 losses for a total of 18 points.

I will bet Kelsey’ s Spanish Villa that we will not be relegated.

Gnarley
    There are a few issues, true – but we’ll finish in the top three.

Sorry i have removed my post and put it in drafts as today’s post.if not needed just put it in the comment section.

Great words Kelsey, and as usual, I agree with everything you say, except this bit “one or two signings will not make much difference”.
    Despite an injury/suspended weakened team (it will always be the case) we put up a good fight and a reasonable performance. I have just watched MoD and heard Dalglish’s post match where he hit the nail on the head when he said the quality of his two subs won the game.
    Tieing this in with your comments, I would say that two world class additions would make the difference, but it is not our bench that lacks quality, it is the first team.

286. evonne says:

Kelsey – ‘Confidence is at the lowest for years, apart from vermaelen and a fit Wilshere no one to drive the team on and i am really concerned’ ??

Sorry, but I disagree. I thought they looked confident yesterday; the red card was obviously upsetting as the team had to play 10 men for more than 20 minutes; own goal is always tragic, but those were unfortunate events and until that point they looked confident to me.

Verlaelen was exceptional, but Frimpong was very good too, I can see him leading the way in the future.

BTW, I don’t like Frimpong being called Ping Pong, that sounds disrespectful. Nobody likes their name being taken a piss out of

Sorry i have removed the post ias explained though if it goes up i know that we could have a good debate as we will all have our own views.
    evonne it wasn’t a match report as such.

It does appear that there are some issues surrounding the Nasri move, but again to disagree with some comments here last night, I do not believe that should impact the need to replace Cesc. Nasri needs to be out left in place of AA, and we simply do not have anyone anywhere near the quality to play the very priviledged AM role. The system only works with serious quality and none of Rosicky, Diaby or anyone else are anywhere close.

289. evonne says:

GiE – sorry to hear you have Pool supporters in your family, I know how it feels. My almost-ex is one of THEM. He tried to rub it in yesterday, but I sent him away scowling, he won’t try again in a hurry. Bloody cheek of them

The almost-ex went to a few games with me at Highbury and Emirates to see us playing Liverpool. He always used to say that is a no-win situation for him. If Pool lost, he’d be gutted sitting amongst celebrating Gunners. And if his team won I won’t talk to him for weeks 🙂 Exaggerated of course, the longest I kept silent was 2 months after the babel penalty

290. evonne says:

Kelsey – I know, but I feel a bit ratty today and will pick on anything 😦

Evonne,
    Great point about confidence. I am with you as I saw no evidence that this was in short supply. I’m afraid it falls into the blame-the-ref school of straw clutching.
    We are a couple of very good players short and it is as simple as that.
    Right now, we are not a top four squad/team and the results will continue to prove this point.

292. Gooner In Exile says:

Micky dont forget that wasn’t our first team. And we also missed a few reserves.

So in summary:

First team missing – Wilshere, Gibbs, Song, Gervinho, Koscielny (for 80 minutes)
    Reserves missing – Traore, Djourou.

Obviously I could add The Squid but Miquel was a better replacement.

293. evonne says:

Micky – yep, dreading ManU next week already. NO EFING chance we can win it, I won’t even watch it.

evonne. Babel penalty (cheating dutch swine) 😀

295. evonne says:

Sharky – that prawn coctail clip is hillarious! I was one of those girls that would die for a prawn coctail with a 1000 island dressing 🙂

296. Gooner In Exile says:

I forgot Rosicky and Diaby too.

So we fielded a squad of 17 yesterday but could have added another 9 players to it which would look a lot stronger.

GiE,
    Fair points, but how much money those guys come back only for us to find RvP or Verm have a knock. Its a squad thing.

GIE. I would include Diaby as a first team player. He will have a big influence upon our season – if fit.

Diaby has 2 negatives – he is injury prone which may be sorted with time and patience, and he is seriously stupid, which no amount of time can change!

Ooops, sorry GIE. Keyboard lag

Don’t get me wrong i think defensively we played well but it’s like throwing kids into the deep end of a pool who can’t swim.
    Bottom line is that we don’t have a good enough first team squad.

BR,
    That’s funny. Only two negatives, injury prone and stupid 🙂

For two seasons now I have formulated my own squad quality barometer and it is gauged by how close to the first team Rosicky is.
    Right now, we are even talking about playing him in the AM role which means zero goals from there and a chronic shortage of quality defence splitting balls.

kelsey. If, a big if, we sign 2/3 players who can join the first team squad then we are as strong (if not stronger) than last season.

Cesc is irreplaceable, but we will learn to win without him.

Morning everyone. We have a problem – two match reports. Its a nice problem to have but it is dificult to do them both justice.

Wonderman’s is a report on the match whereas kelsey’s is more an analysis of what is happening at the club.

At the moment, I propose to publish Wonderman’s first and either put up kelsey’s later or save it for tomorrow.

If there are any other suggestions please let me know.

Micky. Once TR gets a shot on target and scores he will flourish (writes BR in faith rather than belief)

Kelsey,
    I’m handing over to you. “we don’t have a good enough first team squad” is precisely where we are. It really is as simple as that, and I actually don’t believe there is anyone on this site who disagrees with you.
    I happen to think that both Stan and Arsene think this way as well, and will address the problem. I remain highly optimistic. Until Aug 31.

Rasp. Have we anything for tomorrow? If not, keep Kelsey’s and publish domani

BR,
    So you don’t believe it either. Rosicky has none of the qualities to play the only role available to him in a 4-3-3.

my fault rasp.I know traditionally today is a day for a match report so be it.I should have tod you that i was writing my thoughts but it just came to me this morning.
    The only thing is we have already discussed most of yesterday’s game in the afternoon and last night but I am sure new ideas will emerge after a good nights sleep.

310. evonne says:

BR – Sanderos was extremely intelligent, that didn’t make him a great footballer. Wonder what Rooney’s IQ stands at 🙂

Morning Raddy, Rocky often submits a post for Monday.

I think it is important we publish kelseys for reasons evident when you read it.

I feel sorry for Wonderman because we analysed yesterday’s game to death yesterday due to the early kickoff and the unusually high number of regulars who wanted to get stuff off their chests!

Hi kelsey, how would it be if I published Wonderman’s match report at 9:30 and your post at 11?

313. oz gunner says:

I think if rooney took an IQ test he would be declared mentally impaired.

Having just watched the game im left wondering what on earth have we done to anger the football gods? It mystifies me. Does wegner stab footballs in his spare time or do they not take to kindly to water bottles crushing blades of grass?

Oh to have a player like saurez. Just saw that sanchez bloke barca picked up gee he would of fit in snuggly at the emirates. Greedy bastards

314. evonne says:

oz – ha ha ha

315. evonne says:

oz – you probably didn’t see it in Oz, but there was an excellent comedy where Rio F set up many English top footballers in most ridiculous situations. You should see Rooney holding a medical drip for a stuffed dog

New Post ………

317. diete rapide says:

diete rapide…

[…]Undefeated run to continue? …. Liverpool Preview. « Arsenal Arsenal[…]…

318. football says:

It will truly allow you to access to the most up to the minute scores of all playing teams.
    Alabama will try to rebound from their loss to the Sooners and rank
    fourth in the Sporting News college football preseason rankings.
    During matches rush for football tickets goes beyond any margin, and it becomes tough for
    the organisers to handle that.

319. people vary says:

Hello colleagues, itѕ impressive post сoncerning cultureand
    entirely defined, keep it uρ alll the time.

320. Just desire to say your article is as surprising. The
    clearness for your submit is just nice and that i could think you’re an expert
    in this subject. Well with your permission let me to grab your RSS feed to keep
    updated with forthcoming post. Thanks 1,000,000 and please carry on the gratifying work.