Boring, boring Arsenal?

Written by TotalArsenal.

How tough has this summer been for us Gooners? It is not over yet. I cannot help it, but the transfer window activities during this summer remind me of Ravel’s Bolero. Unfortunately, this is not a reference to Bo Derek’s question – in the film ‘10’: ‘Did you ever do it to Ravel’s Bolero?’, and the subsequent erotic endeavours. No, this association is of a far less pleasant nature; every time we think we reached the crescendo during this transfer window, there is another turn of events – and our patience is being tested even more and our blood pressure is raised even higher. At this stage, we do not know how it will end, and yet the music keeps getting louder and louder.

The fat lady has sung re the departures of our midfielders Cesc and Nasri, but some very good/promising players have been signed as well. The fact is nobody knows exactly what is going on, and what’s more, what will happen next between now and the end of the transfer window – does Arsene?

On top of all the transfer actions, we have an incredibly demanding number of August fixtures: Newcastleaway (0-0), Udinese at home (1-0), Liverpoolat home, Udinese away, and the easiest one of all, Mancs away. You could not make it up! Boring, Boring Arsenal, hey?!

So many fellow Gooners have reached conclusions about Arsenal’s faith this season already. For them the Bolero has stopped, and the outlook is bleak. For me, and luckily for quite a few other Gooners, the crescendo is yet to come: and I am hoping for a hell of a climax. I am as frustrated at the process of our selling and buying of players as anybody else. But, you only have to look at AA’s list above of players ‘in’, ‘out’ or gone ‘on loan’, to realise that the BoD and Arsene have initiated a major, and very complex – from a negotiations’ point of view – change process.

I am amazed how little trust there has been in the BoD’s and Wenger’s plans and capability to achieve the best possible for our club this summer, although I do agree with comments made in the past – by the likes of Red Arse especially – that Arsenal’s PR activities towards the fans have been poor. The multi-facetted negotiations, involving high risks/many millions of pounds, and the complex strategies that are required with such a large programme of change, are the likely cause for the lack of communications regarding the BoD’s exact plan of action. However, Ivan Gazidis promised major transfer activities a few weeks ago, and I will not judge him and the Board until the TW has closed.

There has been so much negativity around that even the most weathered and resistant AA’ers have been affected by it. I am also not above this negativity, but am not yet willing to accept any defeatists’ views until the TW is firmly shut. Only then are we in position to analyse, and criticise or praise, what the BoD set out to do and achieved this summer; only then can we start to make projections of what will happen this season.

For me, it is absolutely inconceivable that we would let Fabregas and Nasri go, without reinvesting in a quality, ready-to-go, attacking central midfielder. I would also be very surprised if we were not to buy a fourth CB, so we can pick our two CB’s for every game from Koz, Vermaelen, Djourou and the new signing. This is the minimum I would expect us to buy before the end of the TW, and for me, it would be a worthy crescendo to this mad summer; anything on top of that – like a top-striker – would be even better. I have listened to Gazidis, and I have listened to Wenger and I believe they are capable and trustworthy people, who will deliver on their promises.

I am hoping, and yes EXPECTING, that this is the way it will go. My brain tells me this is what will happen, but my heart is not so sure. There is still a nasty and lingering doubt that it might not happen, or even worse: that Arsene is the last one to leave our club before the TW shuts. The critics might finally get Wenger’s scalp, and Arsenal have entered the dark ages again.

Let’s hope we get a 10 out of 10 ending to this most unusual and unpleasant transfer window a Gooner has ever had to witness.

234 Responses to Boring, boring Arsenal?

TA,
    There is good, bad and very good in your article.
    Good: I thought the worst reading ” this association (Bolero) is of a far less pleasant nature” as I imagined the dreaed Torvill and Dean analogy.
    Bad: RA gets a mention in a headline post. Fame as well!
    Very good: You have written an excellent post. Thank you.

Entertaining read. With Bo Derek I would be more a Ramones track than Bolero 🙂

Who is the chap in the white with the snazzy saddle and boots. Looks like he would make a useful DM

3. Red Arse says:

Right up there with the usual excellent AA Post standard bearers TA, well done sir! 🙂

I am intrigued by the subliminal or perhaps sub-conscious use of – frustration – crescendo – climax in your prose. Come on- tell us what’s really going on – we won’t tell anyone. 🙂 🙂

BR,
    The thought of yourself and Bo Derek together to the harsh strains of “Sheena is a Punk Rocker” is something I must erase from my mind with a certain degree of urgency.

5. Sebastian says:

I do understand your points of view there, but I think you may be missing why this is all so frustrating.

Firstly, the transfer window shuts on 31/08/11. By that time we will have already played Newcastle, Udinese, Liverpool, Udinese and Man Utd. We could already be out of everything by the time we have our squad together! What good is that?!

If (I do stress If) we were to lose our next 3 games (very possible) then the season is already over, we fact is, football comes first, so all transfer should have been sorted before the first ball was kicked.

Secondly, I dont care that Cesc and Nasri have gone, bigger and better players have left in the past. I think the thing that really worries everyone is that going by past experience, they will not be properly replaced. They wont be. Ask yourself honestly and you know it. Its that that is the worst part, and more over, there is absolutely no excuse for it.

6. Red Arse says:

Micky,

I too was a little concerned with the Torville and Dein bolero allegory at first, but then I thought it’s a reference to the South American gauchos three balled implement for cow catching — but no, that can’t be right – that bollas.

I don’t know, these intelligent Danes are far too smart — when they are not out doing their historical duty of raping and pillaging. 🙂

7. red dan says:

i cant take much more of this! (lets hope jack and robin are not saying the same) or its GAME OVER!
    seriously tho what is going on? im not getting sucked into the we are buying kaka benzema ribery cack that appears online, but we can all see a squad that struggled last year depleated this summer and replaced with potential for 3 years time..do you think they are doing this on purpose as some perverse experiment? lookind down on us (fans) like the gods of olympus (BoD HQ) as i cant get why we as a club with such rich heritage and distinction is going the way its going! i live on a hill and have to go down every day so i dont want to see my football team going the same way.. “BREATH”….. thats better. cut me i bleed red and white, lets stick it to the scousers (i bloody hate liverpool) nice article i feel better now 🙂

8. TotalArsenal says:

BR, the ‘chap in white’ is the personification of all those who would like to see Arsene’s head role: as you may have seen, Arsene’s head has been attached, victoriously and menacingly, to his lance. I took the picture last Sunday at an art museum in Lille.

9. TotalArsenal says:

RA @9.51: I start to doubt whether you really are an Accountant 😛

10. harry says:

Nice positive post Total, I have too said I will only really judge Arsene, Ivan and the Board when the TW closes, until then you can only give a knee jerk reaction.

Arsenals PR at times is shambolic, and it is compounded by Arsene inate ability to make comments and not back them up, it does become quite irksome at times.

Before I get jumped on, I love Arsene to bits and will never boo him or ask for the sack, I have way too much respect for that.

As I float between negative and postive moods at an alarmingly rate, I have more false crescendos than torvill and dean, I worry that again wenger will fail to deliver what he has identified as a weakness.

Several years ago he made a statement that he need experience to compliment the youth, he then didnt resolve it and still last season he admits we lacked maturity and experince……

He has mentioned before about the backline and didnt solve it at the time, the following season he brought in Vermaelen, he was unfortuante he was injured last season, as he would have made a big difference, but we need a squad that can cope with that.

If he doesnt bring in another top experienced defender, TV has to stay fit. I like the pairing of TV and Kozzer, it has a strength about it, kozzer is better than people credit him for. I just worry about kozzer and Djourou together or with Squillaci. None are as dominant as TV.,………

When Nasri departs today, which seems more likely by the second, it would be gross negligence not to buy at least one midfielder to fill the void of cesc and samir. I see Gervinho as Nasri’s replacement and was happy for Samir to take Cesc’s role, but when he goes, we need someone to play that role.

The pressure on ramsey and wilshere would be immense, and who would step in if they were both injured?

Wenger states he will only bring in quality and players that are better than what he has? I am sure all of us can quote a few that would fall in that catergory that actually wouldnt cost an arm and a leg.

I will judge at the window, i just hope the crescendo of our dealings smashes the window……………

Sebastian,
    I do understand where you are coming from (although our season would not be over) however, as we know our net spend is historically very small under our self-sustaining model but the turnover can be quite high. Well this season we have a huge surplus (esecially if Nasri goes) so to achieve a similar small net spend will require a huge spend between now and Aug 31.
    That’s my thinking pattern anyway. I call it positive spin Maths 🙂

12. Red Arse says:

Hi Sebastian, 🙂

I still hold out hope that something will be unveiled on the transfer front.

It cannot be denied that you have written what a lot of fans are saying/thinking which is that IF we do buy another player between now and the end of the TW, it will all seem a bit late.

On the other hand, even in your worst case scenario, the season would not possibly be over, altho’ we would be giving some others a head start. I think we will do better than you are assuming.

There may have been good reasons for the slowness in finalizing our transfer buying which we are not privy too. Who knows?

13. TotalArsenal says:

Thanks Harry and fully agree with your excellent comment. The ways of the master…

14. harry says:

@seb, i understand your comments and your right in a way, transfer should have been sorted, but obviously not one of us or the papers to that fact, know what has gone on with our transfer dealings, what the snags were or anything like that…..We dont live in an ideal world, otherwise, Bergkamp would still be playing…..

Anyway to my point about your comments, which you did caveat with an IF, we lost our next three games you make the assertion that our season would be over……..?

Ok we’d be out of the Champions league, which is bad agreed, but the season over? when Blackburn beat us 3-1 in 97-98, was the season over?

Ok question for you all on next 3 games,

What would you pick?

Qualify for Champions league group stages, but lose to liverpool and United

or

Dumped out by Udinese but beat both liverpool and united?

15. WiganGooner says:

Great article TA,

When I was processing it to put it up I really enjoyed it. As RA said, another cracking article for the AA stable.

Really good work.

WG

16. Sebastian says:

Cheers for your personal responses guys. I do want to think positively, but I do believe in “prepare for the worst, hope for the best” and I just feel we are hoping for the best without preparing for the worst.

Still, I will be at the grove cheering on the boys tomorrow. No matter how you feel, booing the team or singing negative chants NEVER helps, so I hope that doesnt happen again. At the end of the day, the players that are on the pitch are not at fault for the lack of spending.

3 points tomorrow would make things better (although I do hope that doesnt convince Arsene that we dont need anyone!)

17. TotalArsenal says:

Red dan, it is indeed a cruel process that we are going through, but I don’t think is is done on purpose by the BoD (I love the analogy of you living on a hill – BREATH). Like anyone, I would have liked us to sign the big players first and then see our big players go (Nasri and Cesc’s departures are/were unavoidable imo). It would have been a lot better for our hearts! However, if a couple of players of genuine quality and experience come in, in the next few days, it will all have been worth it.

18. TotalArsenal says:

Thanks WG, also for the quality editing of my draft post 🙂

Harry,
    For the sake of being able to attract the kind of quality we are after, I would take the win over Udinese. With the right additions, we could overhaul the other losses.

20. harry says:

Seb, Nice one mate, I am so glad your anti booing and negchants, all which are complete cut your nose off reactions if you get my drift.

I am there tomorrow as well, usually us AAeers meet up at the Tavern pre match for a beer……..come along and meet some, not sure who will be there yet as our raven haired warrior princess isnt about with her nominal role……..GIE should be there and myself with my two boys, and am sure a few normal suspects will arrive…….

Your last comment in brackets is what worries me……….

21. harry says:

MDi89, exactly my man………I would too….

22. harry says:

But as I am going tomorrow, I want us to thrash the scousers good and un proper……

23. Red the Lobster Accountant says:

TA, re 10:06, 🙂

You would not be the first one to say that! 🙂

24. WiganGooner says:

@TA

No worries, I live to serve 😀

WG

25. Reddawn says:

Forget the silly ideas of silverware for once and let’s consider the team. Arsenal have just had the heart ripped out of the side over the past month and regardless of who arrives next we have to consider how well and how quickly the team will meld into a force to be reckoned with. Unfortunately, time is not on their side. Therefore, I would predict that Arsenal will go through a difficult transitional period before they can achieve their full potential. This could take anything from six months to next season. If Mr Wenger does it before the six months, then surely he deserves all the credit for being a great manager

26. Gooner In Exile says:

Nice post TA.

Seb if we lose to Liverpool and United our season will be far from over, I can think of one side that lost to us and Liverpool last year but still won the league.

Glad you came back to explain your stance, trying to remain positive and supportive is getting difficult for a number if fans.

I personally can’t wait to be at the game tomorrow and will be ready to stand up for my beloved.

Harry a beer at the Tavern with me and other AAers will get you back on a positive slant 🙂

27. harry says:

Lol, GIE, I cant make my mind up am i positively negative or negatively positive? Lets see who makes the 18 for tomorrow…….

BUt i am so looking forward to streetfighter, weaving his japanese magic………..I hope he starts with Theo at the top, liverpools slow back line will be at 6’s and 7’s………

28. TotalArsenal says:

Reddawn, yes you can say that our heart has been ripped out with the departure of Cesc, and almost definitely Nasri. Where we are lucky is the emergence of Jack and Rambo, and the addition of three wingers (including Ryo). Jack and Rambo and Song are the new heart for me, but they are too inexperienced to guide our team through a whole season, and obvioulsy, any injuries to one or two of those three, and we are immediately exposed. If and when we buy a 25-28 year old, quality and experienced attacking midfielder, we could, at once, look a force to reckon with (and another CB of course…).

29. TotalArsenal says:

Hi Harry, can you really see Theo upfront against teams who sit back and deny us any space (not saying that Liverpool will play that way)? I cannot see it myself. For me Theo needs space, space and more space to be successful in that role.

30. goonermichael says:

I hope Ryo plays some part tomorrow.

31. Abbz says:

I’m sorry all, I know I am new to this site and do not want to bring this positive mood down but I think Seb’s original comments are getting way to much praise than it deserves. The fact is what Seb was saying accounts for thousands of other “supporters” that are tearing this club apart. The only redeeming factor is that Seb is clearly a nice person and does not deserve critisism.

Has Seb (or any other glooner) realise that maybe Wenger has been trying all season to keep our two most creative midfielders so has not dipped into his pockets to replace, and only now admited defeat to the moneybags.

Please Seb (or any other negative gooner) tell me; if we got rid of Wenger who would replace him and be able to bring in big names on a relatively small budget?

If you don’t support the Arsenal, don’t support the Arsenal.

32. good post, enjoyed the reading better than the doom and gloom from some so-called supporters because as far as a iam concerened Wenger and the board have not taken us into the abyss we have never been threatened or looked like being threatend with administration in Wengers time we have never been a relegation candidate not even this year. Yes frustrating we haven’t won anything in six years though have been close a few times a champions league final and a couple of carling cup ones but no actual piece of silverware. And Seb the season would not be over as you state if the worse came to worse and we lost to Udinese we go into the europa league great lol. then there is the f a cup and carling cup and still 35 games in the league to go so how is the season over your maths must be amazing when i looked at our fixtures when announced i thought from first four games 8 points from twelve would be good but six from twelve would do as that would mean we haven’t lost a game or only lost one which isn’t a bad start. man city will have tougher games than swansea to come so will even itself out and utd were lucky to win their match with a draw looking on cards oh and liverpool and chelsea both only managed draws so why the gloom. On the upside RVP will be ready for udinese game and if Nasri still around Wenger should play him just to say f off to city and both gervinho and song will be fresh because of their domestic bans. Lets be honest this squad is a bit thin so players need to be brought in possibly 3 to four a cd is a must we all agree possibly two midfielders and a striker too.

33. red dan says:

“sign on” sign on”
    “with a pen in your hand”
    “and your neeeever get a job”

lets have some good old fashioned scouser bashin tomorrow please boys!

and il do my best when i get to the swansea game (sheep songs etc)
    we need to get the fun back into the stands and ‘back the boys’
    (i think help the heroes) would have been a bit out of order there 🙂
    as much as wenger and now mr David (i took the money) dien annoy me they are right in the sense that we can make a difference.

so suck up the negative and shout out the positive!!

dirty scouse bas*@rds 🙂

2-nil to the arse

I always thought bo derek had exquisite breasts as opposed to bo didley.

35. harry says:

Total, I agree he needs space, something he doesnt get much of out wide and we nearly always play the ball to his feet……..

Because we press teams back and they are happy to drop, it doesnt matter where he is…..

We have to play to theo’s strengths to get the best out of him, playing him down the middle he has more choices of where to run and pick out the space, then its for our players to find him, preferably with a ball just in front for him to run on to, then watch him go.

With RVP behind him, he will be found!! then you can have a mix of wingers, something we have in abundance…….Pace is something we dont lack this season down the wings…..So lets put theo there and see what happens……..

36. gunnern5 says:

Gooner In Exile says:

August 19, 2011 at 7:24 am

GunnerN5….

I would be interested to know how Wins/Losses stack up in the last 6 seasons against the historical average and against Wengers own stats.

………………………………………………………………………………………..

GIE;

Here are the stats.

1st – all pre AW games played.

P3578, W1553, T905, L1120, F5727, A4656.
    Per game = W .434, L .253, T .313, F 1.601, A 1.198

2nd – AW`s 1st 10 seasons.

P372, W221, T93, L58, F700, A328
    Per game = W .594, T .250, L .156, F 1.882, A .882

3rd AW`s – Last 6 seasons.

P190, W105, T51, L34, F360, A187
    Per game = W .553, T .268, L .179, F 1.895, A .984

……………………………………………………………………………………………

The stats show quite clearly that even AW`s worst period (last 6 seasons) is better than our past.

But his last six seasons are obviously worse than his 1st 10.

37. Gooner In Exile says:

Abbz I’m not sure Seb is as negative as some who come on here occasionally. As long as it’s reasoned and sensible. As your comment is too.

Where you differ and where I think most of the frustration lies is in who is responsible for the lack of spending. In my view Arsene carries the can for the board and has done for the last few years, others believe it is he who is the purse watcher.

What Seb and yourself and other newcomers express is a need to support this team as it is not their fault they are there and as long as they wear red and white or (yuk) blue and blue all of us should support them. That’s an idea we can all get behind, vever has a team that Wenger built needed it more than now.

Bizarrely the volume of negativity appears to have brought out the silent majority….long may it continue.

38. Camberwell Gooner says:

Have to say I’m not buying this ‘season would be over if we lost the next 3 games’ schtick. That would be two league losses – easily affordable if we go and beat lots of other teams.

As for Udinese. Score one, concede two, see you in the group stage. Job done! (Still can’t believe I got no response when I sent in my CV for Pat Rice’s job)

I’d give my right nad to beat at least one of Pool or Man U but whatever happens it’s not the end of the world. Of course, try telling that to the tabloids and doomers. If we lose tomorrow the sub-editors will have a field day and the metallic ‘shing!’ of knives being sharpened will be deafening on every side.

Let them sharpen their knives, I hope they accidentally slit their wrists. The fact is, a slow start doesn’t put you out of the running before the end of September, not even slightly!

As for signings, TA, I enjoyed your post a helluva lot and agree with most of it. Final point ladies and gents: do you really believe we’ll see no new signings before the closure of the TW? If you can see the squad gaps, Arsene saw it way before you.

Expect an unveiling or two around, say, 11:55pm on the 31st. Here’s to that!

39. harry says:

Interesting Stats Gn5…….so these need to be widely published and for gooners to see……..

40. Abbz says:

GIE.

I agree and of course meant no hostility towards Seb. I suppose the point I was trying to get across is that we need to support our team. I was at the Geordie game last week and the spend some f***ing money chants were not needed, and athough I did chuckle, calling Nasri a c**t whilst he was technically still a gooner is not necessary (what does this say to the rest of the team).

I need to stress what TA says; wait for the window to close before we judge, however if we do lose Mata to Chelski I will be bitterly dissapointed.

41. Sebastian says:

Abbz, at no point did I mention wanting Wenger out? I’m not that irrational.

Also, when I said the season would be over, I meant that we would be out of the Champions League (would have an impact on players we brought in) and to lose 2 of your first 3 league games is never a good sign of the season ahead.

Anyway, like I said after, I’m in full support of the boys (backed up by me purchasing my 9th season ticket in a row at the age of 22..)

It just hurts so much seing players who think they can do better than being at Arsenal. There isn’t anywhere better than Arsenal. And it seems so achievable making that extra step to winning championships but we haven’t taken that step in many attempts.

3 points tomorrow please and for god sake no injuries.

42. harry says:

@ Seb,

Great line mate………..

“It just hurts so much seing players who think they can do better than being at Arsenal. There isn’t anywhere better than Arsenal”

43. Abbz says:

You are right Seb and I may have got caught up in the Anti – Anti Wenger clan – accept this as the closest thing you well get to an appology.

An injury free game is the most important thing I think. However, forever the optimist I predict a 2-0 win.. and at 24 you should listen to your elder 😉

(Joke)

44. Sebastian says:

I might have a trip down Ladbrooks for 1-0 to the Arsenal.

Anyway, I’m taking a half day, need time to prepare for being back at the grove tomorrow! Plus im getting far too much attenion in here! Have a good game boys.

45. Mik says:

and now Wenger faces further disciplinary actions. Let’s hope that it is a 100 dollar fine or whatever. Sometimes you can’t get rid of the feeling that there is an agenda against our beloved club. The referee should have been relegated after the Bacelona – Arsenal match where he kicked us out of the game. Instead he is head of the referees now. And apparently they are working really hard to try to make sure that Arsenal won’t make it into the CL.

TA,

a good post but there is one person that you don’t mention and that is our majority share holder Silent Stan.
    I am absolutely sure that in a perfect scenario players that AW (not us) feels should be unloaded has not materialised as perhaps first expected and I will wait unntil the TW closes. This directive may have come from kroenke to reduce the wage bill on squad players therefore be in the position to buy some quality which at today’s rate would mean higher salaries.in other words trim the squad and then have a balance of experience and leadership with some of our young starlets.
    Vela’s case intrigues me.he has had a handful of PL starts yet is loaned out again for the third time.

47. Red the Lobster Accountant says:

Seb/Abbz,

You are like two peas in a pod with your thinking, just slightly differently expressed. 🙂

Pretty much the way I see it too.

While we were busy not winning anything over the last six years, I watched some wonderful football from Arsenal during that time, and we usually had a shout until late in the season too. I loved the excitement of going to as many games as I could.

I was also cock a hoop and immensely proud to hear from all and sundry (non-Arsenal fans and commentators too) what a joy it was to watch Arsenal play. And they were right! 🙂

It’s only looking back, you suddenly think how did those 6 years fly by so quickly, and how on earth did we not achieve the trophy success we deserved? Life is not always fair.

At school I played a bit of (American) football and spent too much time training and fooling around with my buddies.
    My friends pop told him when we were all coming up to some crunch exams, that he was not applying himself to his studies, and he would be very disappointed if he did not pass them, but he would reserve judgement until then.

He stopped training with us, worked hard at his studies; passed the exams and was praised for buckling down.

I mention this only because he was really upset at this postponed judgement day, and became quite resentful and difficult, which did nothing for his relationship with his father.
    The current trend for some Arsenal fans to say, about Wenger, with faux magnanimity “I will wait until the end of August before…….. “, strikes me as very similar and equally without merit, in my opinion.

So at the end of August what? Sack him? No; only the club can do that, not fans.
    So what then, at the end of the TW, if he has offended their susceptibilities? Boo him? Jeer him? Ridicule him? Sounds like conditional support to me and does the manager, and thru him the team, a disservice.

Not for me.

It’s Friday. Rant over!! 🙂

48. tommystout says:

fab post Total
    i remain positive and will judge post 31Aug2011.
    i’m tired of all the negetive people that are amassing with their knives dont they realise that arsene and co have the clubs best interest at heart.
    arsenal cant do anything major before the udinese outcome. It will be the difference between spending 20mill and 50mill. He needs 3 players minimum, those three names will change for both equations, lets hope we beat udinese hey???
    that will be the difference between say
    samba – jedson – rodegalla
    and say
    cahill – mata – zarate.
    cmon.

49. wally says:

AKB supporters ask if not Wenger than who.
    Let’s turn the question around. What will it take for the AKB supporters to acknowledge that Wenger cannot take the club any further?

50. London says:

Red Dan

That is good sentment for a Friday: some good old fashioned scouser bashing.

You look in the dustbin for something to eat
    You find a dead cat and you think its a treat
    In your Liverpool homes

Ahhh…..happy days

51. tommystout says:

wally listen to this mornings arsecast and in particularly the interview with amy lawrence she talks a lot of sense and we have to understand that arsenal are trying to win a battle (keeping up with the money bags) where the odds are stacked against them, even the fans!

52. London says:

Wally

People who still have faith in Wenger do so becasue we believe that he is capable of improving things rather than making them worse. So your question as to what it would take for us to change our minds doesn’t really work.

UEFA now have a hearing on monday about Wenger passing messages through a third party last tuesday night.This is getting beyond a joke, the man has enough pressure on him coming from various sections of the fanbase and media that I wouldn’t actually be surprised if he did go at the end of the season and back to his homeland.Does he really need all this ?

54. London says:

Very enjoyable read TA, you know I am already one of the converted.

55. London says:

Kelsey

That is exactly the place I am coming from. It’s a worry.

56. Red the Lobster Accountant says:

Wally,

There are no AKB’s on here so no one can answer you.

That, by the way, is a ridiculous term.

57. Red Arse says:

Hi Tommy, 🙂

I am sure you have a point.

If we do not qualify for the CL we would, as a club, lose some £20m in revenue.

So as you say £50m would be reduced to £30m, and a top player would probably choose not to come anyway, without the CL as a ‘come on’.

58. tommystout says:

Hi Red
    Yeah it makes sense, i just think all of the in arsene we rust brigade aint helping the cause.

59. gunnern5 says:

Kelsey,

Unfortunately the anti AW bandwagon, which is fueled by the media and jumped on by the glory seekers seems to be gaining momentum.

I fully expect that circumstances will cause this to be a true transition year in which we will buy a few more established EPL players and give our youth a chance to blossom. Therefore I don’t expect us to win anything.

I would be very happy to see that happen (true transition) and hope that it occurs without AW being hounded out. My hope is that he will stay on to see this through.

To think of him being hounded out by glory seekers would be disgraceful and very upsetting to me. But I’m really afraid that it will happen and if it does then shame on those that can only see silver as our saviour.

60. Gooner In Exile says:

Anyone looked at the TicketExchange?

When the fixture list was announced I looked at Liverpool first home game thought no chance for a Red Member and concentrated on getting tickets for Swansea.

When I looked for those Swansea tickets I thought I’d check Liverpool and got a lower tier ticket for the same price (or cheaper) than I would’ve had to pay to be in the gods against Swansea.

Look on the Exchange now and there remains a myriad of choices for Liverpool…..who has a Season Ticket and misses the first game? Especially Liverpool?

More worryingly the club do not allow Tickets to go on the Exchange until the stadium is sold out, therefore Udinese game and probably Swansea had a number of lower tier spaces.

I know the club is trying to generate revenue but for me the difference between upper/lower is my train fare to the ground, and I will be attending far less this season as I cannot justify £100 for ticket and trainfare every other week to my wife.

GN5 nice stats they should definitely go in a headline post. They illustrate just how small the margins are to be successful.

61. Gooner In Exile says:

By the way….
    “we Won the League….we won the league…,
    We won the league on Merseyside, we won the league on the Mersey we won the league on Merseyside”

Apparently last week the Toon Army were joining in the “spend some f***. Money”

They instead sang

“spend some of your money” to Arsene….which is football banter I guess.

62. gunnern5 says:

harry says:

August 19, 2011 at 11:19 am

…………………………………………….

I’ve supplied Excel spreadsheets to AA on several occasions, in the earnest hope that all AA’ers would have access to true statistical data and therefore be able to form valid opinions on our performances.

Unfortunately nothing has happened, but I still remain willing to supply and maintain the data.

63. harry says:

In 1886 the Arsenal rose,
    its the team at birth we all chose.

Through the years, we have stood tall,
    the boys in red and white can play ball.

Chapman led the way, Bertie won the double,
    But alas old george, he got in trouble….

Bruce was out in a flash, dein wanted a change,
    In came wenger for an unparalleled reign.

Who was this man, his name unknown,
    but boy did his team get going…

Adams and co reborn, young patrick was a beast,
    Bergkamp conducted a football feast…

In 2004, with Henry on fire, by no one were they beat,
    with the trophy held aloft at the lane, it was truly sweet….

From highbury to the Emirates, onwards we move,
    Changing the boys to men, wenger wanted to prove.

Stars sparkled bright, the football was sexy,
    Barca came calling, that left us no cesc’y…..

Down beat, forlorn and in despair,
    the gooner faithful so do care,

Rebuild the team when Time is short,
    Wenger knows, but who will be brought?

64. Gooner In Exile says:

If only Steve McMahon was involved with Liverpool still we could song “one minute” 😀

65. harry says:

GIE, the ticket exchange is the fullest i have seen it, all i hope is wenger is made aware of this…………Fans speak with their feet as loud as their voices at times……..the 6% will not be as big as they thought……..

Gn5, will look into it……….

66. harry says:

Todays bizarre news, nasri is in the squad for tomorrow………..?

67. TotalArsenal says:

Harry, you are the Eboue of AA!! 😆 – you know how to make us all happy. How do you do it – sheer quality!

68. harry says:

thanks TA…..I try………. D:

GN5, thanks for the data and spreadsheets. We have tried to find a way of making them available for the site but failed.

They are far too wide to be used in a widget or a post/page, so we need to find a way of creating a full screen pop-up. That is beyond my comuter skills but if anyone reading knows how we can do it please speak up.

70. harry says:

It can be done Rasp, I have someone I know that will be able to do it, shall speak to him……….you there tomorrow?

71. TotalArsenal says:

Kelsey, very interesting point about silent Stan’s possible strategy of reducing numbers to invest in quality signing, who need to be paid higher wages. This is the big question: what is the strategy? At the moment, it looks a bit like asset stripping and a rigorous cost cutting exercise, combined with investment in future talents (and not just cheap ones), but what comes next? The next 12 days will hopefully tell us a lot more…

72. London says:

GN5

For what it’s worth I share the view you stated at 1.09.

Hi Harry, thanks, that would be great. I know peaches has spoken to a couple of tekkies – its all down to what WordPress will allow you to do.

Up until this morning I was playing cricket tomorrow but the oppo have pulled out so I’m going to the game with my daughter now – already getting nervous.

I’m hoping to make it to The Tavern for a snifter and chat with the assembled AA’ers – what time will you be there?

74. Gooner in Exile says:

My train gets into Liverpool St at 10:17am, so quick shoot round on the tube I’ll be there by about 10:30am hopefully 😀

Definitely need a couple of nerve settlers be good to see some people.

Oh we are doing war paint in a non Scottish Braveheart stylee right?

75. Gooner in Exile says:

Think one of the easiest things to do with the spreadsheets is put them in a Dropbox for people to download, i’m happy to have a bash at creating usable PDF’s from them and will update them, regularly if need be.

76. harry says:

10.30!!!!!! GIE thats sharp……….I’ll be there about 11.30, no chance of getting my lad out of the bed that early………..

Sorry about your cricket rasp, but its good to get as many there as possible from AA………

77. wally says:

@London,

In other words he can stay forever. He can do whatever he likes, regardless of results, and that’s fine by you.
    Sorry but that doesn’t work for me.

78. goonermichael says:

The stadium looked half empty for the Udinese game.

79. harry says:

GM, I thought it looked half full?

Only jesting, with about 10mins to kick off it looked nearly empty and i was dreading it, but it seem to fill well and i estimate the crowd at about 47-52000?. The lower tier was pretty full…………

80. goonermichael says:

Did they say
    “and todays attendance is 60372” Harry

81. goonermichael says:

glasses are half full. Stadiums are half empty. 🙂

82. Gooner In Exile says:

Only way to get cheap train tickets is to book the early ones I’m travelling first class down standard back for £38 not bad I suppose could have been cheaper but I held off awaiting the riot outcome.

83. harry says:

To be honest I cannot remember whether they quoted the attendance or not, but I gave up listening for that years ago…….

On arsenal.com they have announced that the Joel Campbell signing has been finalised……Did find it strange that they announced it early with still issues needing attention, but he is on board and i am looking forward to seeing him play, likely to be an impact player and CC………

84. London says:

Harry

It was a bit odd that they announced it, before the i’s were dotted and the t’s were crossed, I wonder what that was about?

85. London says:

That’s ok Wally I didn’t expect you to understand it’s called SUPPORT.

Provisional squad: Szczesny, Jenkinson, Vermaelen, Koscielny, Sagna, Arshavin, Frimpong, NASRI, Ramsey, Walcott, Van Persie, Fabianski, Chamakh, Chamberlain, Bendtner, Lansbury, Squillaci, Miquel, Afobe.

Rosicky has been rested.

87. Red Arse says:

London, re your 3:01 🙂

Harry, is Campbell still in Columbia for the U21’s Championship?

88. Red Arse says:

Kelsey,

Nasri being named in the CL squad is a gee up to Man Citeh, anytime now London will be whizzing around clad only in a pair of sunglasses and a red and white willie warmer! 🙂

Whatever you do London, don’t go cycling!! 🙂

89. London says:

Nasri in the squad Rosicky out, well it’s obvious then Rosicky is going to join City 😉

90. TotalArsenal says:

London 😆 … and Tevez is part of this player exchange deal

91. TotalArsenal says:

No football in Spain this weekend as a result of an all-out strike…. and Cescky could be starring for us against Pool this weekend 😉

RA,

tomorrows squad, tomorrows.don’t jump the gun.

93. Red Arse says:

Apparently Citeh will give us Tevez plus £20m for Rosicky.

I hope Arsene plays hard ball and demands more!! 🙂

94. TotalArsenal says:

RA 🙂 Apparently Arsene will only agree to the Rosicky deal if a 50% sell-on deal is incorporated into the contract – The Greedy French Bastard!!

95. Herb'sArmy says:

In times of adversity our support will see us through, and we will come out of it better and stronger.
    Arsene Wenger is a very intelligent man, and I have no doubt, win lose or draw tomorrow, he has his finger on the pulse, and knows exactly what needs to be done.
    One essential point that no-one can question is his loyalty and dedication to our club, and for that alone his time at Arsenal should be one of celebration.
    Herbert Chapman revolutionised our club, won our first silver-ware, and moulded us into a major force through-out English football, Arsene Wenger has revolutionised us and moulded us into a major force through-out the world, for which every Arsenal should be eternally grateful.
    I hope he sticks around for a while yet.

96. TotalArsenal says:

Herb, so true and well said.

97. TotalArsenal says:

In absence of Chas’ daily video contribution (until now), I came across this: Song’s boner… Now that is loving the Arsenal!

98. Red Arse says:

TA, 🙂

99. WiganGooner says:

@Herb

Great comment, extremely well worded and I 100% agree with you.

WG

100. Red Arse says:

Herb,

Here, here. Excellent comment! 🙂

101. Herb'sArmy says:

Sometimes TA it’s worth taking a step back and reflecting on why we support Arsenal, and what it actually means.
    Arsenal are a special club that have their own way of doing things, and long may that continue. AW’s prophile fits that remit perfectly.
    He carries himself with dignity and has come to epitomise everything that makes our great club what it is today.
    I think I’ve often been too short-sighted and failed to take in the bigger picture, so a bit of soul-searching and clarity never goes amiss. I have removed my “cataracts” and see clearly now.
    We are the greatest club in the world, and Arsene Wenger has put us in that position.

102. London says:

GIE is speaking in a strange languge in his 1:43 does anyone know what it is?

103. harry says:

@Red Arse, well the Costa Ricans are out, the world u20 final is between Brazil and Portugal which is on tomorrow. I envisage him been in london next week sometime…..

@Herb: Your 3.56pm: that is one of the best posts I have read on here…………..

@London: Yeah it was bizarre, very unlike aresnal, seemingly a tad of brinkmanship with Barca, in respect to making them wait a while longer, as there is no logical reason to announce when a technicality could have stopped the deal, but he is on board and I think he is a good signing……

104. harry says:

Non football speak, rare on here london………..

105. harry says:

Herbm, are you on a mission to spread the word? some fine words are been used to sing the praises of our might fine club…….

106. harry says:

Take note the provisional squad is 19 strong, so i expect nasri to fallout of it by 12.45 tomorrow…………

If by some amazing chance he plays, i really want the crowd to get behind him and give him the support that might change his mind..unlikely on both accounts i know………hat coat anywhere

107. Herb'sArmy says:

Thanks RA/WG,
    I think there comes a time when you assess the situation and have to decide whether to sulk or support. I’m too old for sulking, so the only other option is support, and it has to be 100%, or it means nothing.
    And we all know if you support a club, you support everyone of the staff and trust that the decisions they make are for our benefit, even if we don’t always agree with those choices.
    It’s supposed to be about enjoyment, and if it has stopped being enjoyable then it’s time to bale out.
    Arsenal will always be a huge part of my life, so I’m going to enjoy it, wherever they take us.

108. Herb'sArmy says:

Nice one Harry, cheers.

109. harry says:

So who else is meeting at the Tavern tomorrow for prematch drinks?

GIE, Rasp and Me……..who else?

110. TotalArsenal says:

Herb, that is extremely wise and honourable of you to admit, but we all have cataracts and subsequent distorted views of the truth. Between the lines of anything you ever wrote, I have always felt your love for, commitment to the club, but I did sometimes wonder whether you were having a hard time in supporting Arsenal.

I was thinking just the same the other day regarding the fit of prophiles between Arsenal and Arsene Wenger, and that it is our only chance for both success and enjoyable football in the near future.

We do not have the money – and neither should we want it – of Chelsea and Man City: they have been killing football with their outrageous wage-structures and insatiable hunger to buy whatever they want, at any costs. Man United is slightly different, but will also struggle to keep up, if it continues like this.

The only answer to these financial powerhouses is a clever youth policy, a manager who knows football and who has a set of principles like Wenger, which can see us through to success. There is nobody better than Wenger in doing this (Louis van Gaal comes close, but unfortunately he has not the mental strength to see a job like that through). If he goes, we will be fighting with Liverpool, Spurs and eventually with United, for the scraps. I really feel it would be the end of an era – something we could become to regret for decades to come.

However, that does not mean that Wenger is a Saint – he can be difficult and stubborn, and has made mistakes (which you and others have pointed out on several occasions). Let’s hope though – with all we have got – that he can find the magic formula one more time.

111. dandan says:

TA very fine piece thank you.

Herb
    I am probably the only one of the regulars that has had his cataracts done and your 4.47 sums up exactly my stance. Welcome to the club Sir. You will enjoy it so much better now your eyes have been done. 🙂

112. harry says:

It is widely reported that Blackburn have put an offer in for Lansbury…….I hope he stays and is given a proper chance, he has some of the fighting spirit so lacking from some players who have recently left us……..He is in the squad for tomorrow……

113. TotalArsenal says:

Harry, agreed – I would also like to see him play in an Arsenal shirt this season.

We rejected a bid of 1.5 million from norwich after he had been on loan on the 31/7/11.I believe we should keep him.

115. Red Arse says:

Herb,

For what it is worth I have had the occasional wobble when I could not get my head around what I was expecting from the team and the club.

Years ago when I was still a relative whipper snapper, I went to watch a George Graham managed team win an excruciatingly bad game 1:0. I told my mother, when she asked, that we had won, but it was a terrible game. She was astonished and said “why do you go then?”

Well this happened 2 or 3 times more over the next couple of months. We won, and I came home grumpy because I had not enjoyed the game. Again I was asked “why do you go then?”

I thought thru my reasons and realized I was being stupid.
    You see I wanted Arsenal to play like Brazil and to win every game 5 or 6 nil. But that was not Arsenal, we were not Brazil – that was not realistic.

At that time, like now, the money did not flow and we had the bulk of our team coming up thru the reserves. George had to play with a style dictated by the players he had available.
    Far from being a bad manager he was a good (if financially dodgy) manager, making the best of what he had and making a good fist of it.

Once the penny had dropped, I relaxed — except when matters became tense 🙂 — and enjoyed our dour, gritty play, and revelled in singing ‘One Nil to the Arsenal’, because we physically scared other teams or bored the arses off them — but we won!

Now the situation is different. Over the last six years we have played beautiful, beautiful Brazilian type football and frequently beat some of the best teams in the world. Unfortunately, during that period, the trophies did not come, but I love watching the Arsenal anyway, and I sit back and enjoy the ride — except when my nerves get bad and we are hanging on 🙂 — and I accept that the dice will fall where they will.

I enjoy every minute of it, and after some games I am absolutely exhausted having mentally kicked every ball, and intercepted every oppo attack, and dived to save every shot and yelled at every idiotic reffing decision!

I feel for those who don’t experience that joy. They are missing so much.
    Going to a game or watching on TV and living in dread of missing out on trophies and becoming depressed and generally melancholic because we played beautifully but lost, is as perverse as my youthful self moaning about winning and not playing in style. Pointless!

Experience it — live it — enjoy it!

You only have one life, it is not worth wasting it by moaning about the team, its manager or its lack of success. It’s your life!

Thanks mum. 🙂

116. Herb'sArmy says:

Cheers Dandan,
    I know we haven’t exchanged views/opinions, but I always enjoy reading your many great memories (especially the ‘brawl’ with Lazio).
    Supporting Arsenal isn’t a burden, it’s a pleasure.

117. evonne says:

Has anybody heard what AW said today about the Nasri situation? I have just missed it on the radio

118. London says:

Evonne

This guy in Toronto is good.

Here is the interview.

119. Herb'sArmy says:

Nice piece RA, and a philosophy we can all take on board and learn from.
    When I was a boy it was Bertie Mee, and I was lucky enough to get to Highbury on a few occasions, and it was always a wonderful experience. There is no feeling in the world that ever compared to standing in the North Bank.
    It’s just a matter of tapping into those great memories to re-ignite the passion, which isn’t difficult.

120. evonne says:

Thanks London, going to read it now.

I have heard what they were saying about Nasri – AW confirmed that Samir is playing tomorrow (your scarf is not safe yet!). What followed that announcement wasn’t worth listening. Apparently DD has warned the fans to stop the witch-hunt or AW will leave. The commentator added that that shows how DD is out of touch with football as he doesn’t realise that most Arsenal fans want Wenger to go!!!!

And then the club in turmoil, Liverpool coming to get 3 easy points, more verbal diarrhoea

121. London says:

Evonne

I lost my scarf on the Clichy transfer, it’s my red and white woolen hat that is at stake if Nasri leaves.

122. London says:

Evonne

I know that Wenger said that Nasri is in the squad but are you sure Wenger has said that he is playing?

123. evonne says:

London – no, I am not sure. I think TalkSport Radio were implying that he is to start tomorrow to spark a discussion. A ‘fan’ has already phoned them to voice his disapproval of Nasri playing tomorrow and not giving his 100% because of his imminent move to City

Listened to the interview, great stuff! AW’s facial expressions are priceless, thanks for the link.

You ‘lost’ your scarf?? You were meant to eat it 🙂

124. Hi all, it’s been soooooooo hot today that I haven’t been able to tear myself from my sun-bed but Rasp is ignoring my pleas for news so here I am – dolled up cos I’m off out to a wonderful restaurant for dinner to – to find that London’s woolly hat is still safe, Nasri in the squad for tomorrow???? What’s going on?

125. London/Evonne – what gives ……….

19 in the proposed squad which will have to be reduced to 17, so nasri will most probably drop out with a fit of hiccups.

127. evonne says:

Peaches!!!!!!!!!! hello!!!!

128. Hi evonne 🙂 I’ll text you for other news later – anyone we know rented a new flat?

129. evonne says:

Peaches – listen to the interview London has provided a link for, very good and tells you….not a lot, other than AW looks relaxed and positive, which in itself is most reassuring

130. kelsey – is it very hot in your neck of the woods?

Very cruel to put Nasri in the squad and then drop him – ridiculously naive if you ask me ……..

131. evonne says:

Peaches – the flat! Was in a development occupied by Spurs players!! Starting price £2k basic a month. Posh wanted it, but Becks said it was too much, so he aint completely stupid 🙂

132. I’ll have to listen to it later – got to go xx

133. 😆 😆 😆 she’s definitely not my daughter 😀

134. evonne says:

Oh yes, she is 🙂

Excuse me for butting in here Ladies, but why oh why oh why do I put my children first? I am desperate to board the 9:05 for Paddington tomorrow and head up to Finsbury Park. I have my shiny new Red Membership Card and there are loads of very nice seats on the Exchange. Grrrrr
    So London’s “lost his scarf”. How very convenient.

Tracking back a bit, but I couldn’t care less about Chelsea being after Mata, but signing Lukaku for £10m gives me a very horrible feeling they could have got the type player we could do with at a very affordable price.

137. evonne says:

AllezKev – thank you, good interview. Baffles me how DD could answer so many questions without revealing anything 🙂

Well bugger off then all you lot with your mates, your friday nights out and stupid fun stuff. See if I care.

139. evonne says:

Micky – my bastardly bees stung me again 😦

140. evonne says:

Micky – what the hell was that about at 7:51??? Have you gone mad 🙂

141. Right see those i see at the Tavern tomorrow, off to play nice with wife (watch some crap TV basically) to secure my lift and pick up from train station tomorrow.

Ah, life out there.
    Evonne, panic not, all is very well. Sorry about the bees. Give me Nasri over Rosicky tomorrow please. He may like to impress potential employers by securing a win for us over Pool. I actually dslike Pool considerably more than Utd.

I still cannot believe Villas-Boas has not shipped over any of his old Porto players.

Time to call it a day.
    Till tomorrow shipmates.

Thanks for a very good read TA.

Haven’t had a chance to read the comments but will hopefully be able to catch up over the weekend.

Tomorrow we have a depleted squad, a raft of injuries, we’ve lost our captain and best player, one of our other stars wants out, the manager is being persecuted by the chimps at UEFA, the media is dancing on our grave before the funeral has even happened and we face a newly resurgent Liverpool with 80 million quids’ worth of new players.

In such circumstances I feel we should remember the excellent words of the WW1 French general Field Marshal Ferdinand Foch. Facing an all-out German advance and under considerable pressure he made the following statement:

“Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent – I shall attack!”

And guess what – it worked. His attack from a seemingly impossible position halted the German advance and allowed reinforcements to arrive to shore up the position.

I expect us to stick two proverbial fingers up to the media critics and the doubters tomorrow with a narrow win over ‘Pool.

Foch em all

147. gooner lost in cornwall says:

Hello AA`ers, Just for future reference, where is the Tavern?.

Was hoping to get up for a game ,when we get our “super quality” signings, so it could be quite a while!

148. evonne says:

Chas – top comment!

Hi gooner l in C,

The Tavern is in Blackstock Road and a convenient Arsenalcentric boozer on the way to the stadium.

Do try to join us for a pre-match nerve calmer or two one day.

Here you go GLIC, first is photo, second is map.

I still have a spare for tomorrow if any AA’ers are interested.

152. gooner lost in corwall says:

Cheers, Rasp and Chas, hope to see you in the future. 🙂

I’ll be at the Tavern tomorrow too, but am meeting my brother and his son’s girlfriend, so won’t have much time for AA socialising unfortunately. Will definitely say hello. Might get there early too as my train gets into St Pancras at 10.19am.

btw, the spare is free to good home. 🙂

… to a good home

156. harry says:

chas, i can get rid of it for you

157. harry says:

add me on facebook Martin H Harrison and send me your mobile and we can chat………probably get you the value for it as well……if you have peaches phone number she has mine…….

158. harry says:

off line for about 30mins then back chas……..

harry, I’ve sent you a friend request and a message. I don’t want any money for it, just happy it’s filled.

160. goonermichael says:

Have we got any players left for tomorrow? What’s the left back like in the ladies team?

sorry harry, I’m going to have to go to bed as I had an early start this morning and need to be up early tomorrow.

I hope you got my message.

162. harry says:

nice one gm, that might be a good idea……..hopefully she has nice legs as well……..

163. harry says:

Yep seen you rmessage chas……..c u at the tavern…….

164. neamman says:

Trying to see good in bad..maybe not making the CL is exactly what we need. I certainly feel we should have brought a big name player..as a statement of ambition to fans and players..if nothing else.
    All this being said I am still 100% behind the professor!!!!

165. Gooner In Exile says:

Morning AAers

Cesc:
    “Maybe now is the worst time to return to Barca because the team is so good but I needed a new challenge in my life.

I thought I had stalled a bit and needed a change of scenery. I’ve got a special motivation to produce my best.”

Probable tabloid Headline:
    Cesc – Arsenal were holding me back

166. barumgooner says:

Sadly for Cesc I think the game the other night will sum up his Barca career. Trophies galore but very little game-time.

167. Gooner In Exile says:

Read Dan Roans blog on the Dein interview, then read the comments from many Liverpool, City, Stoke and even United fans in support of Wenger and what he has achieved.

Have a great day all that are going.
    Boy do I feel like Cinders. My last game was Pool back in April, so it would have been “somewhat poetic justice” (gedit?) had I made it today. Oh well.
    I have a good feeling this lot will win today:

…….Sz
    Sag Kos Verm Jenk
    …Frimpong Ramsey
    …….Nasri
    Theo…RvP….AA

Is Traore fit, or should I say available?

170. evonne says:

Chas and Harry – damn x 3!!! I guess the ticket is gone 😦 I would have gone with you Chas, I can no longer go on my own and need someone to hold my hand (knee in case of 26may). Oh well, perhaps next time! Enjoy the game guys! We have not lost to Scoucers at home for 11.5 years, don’t see why we should lose today 🙂

171. evonne says:

Hello Micky
    Yeah, Traore is available not sure about Nasri thought 🙂

Evonne,
    Had I thought for one second it would be raining today, I would be holding your hand like a shot.
    Naturally I can not fill in for 26, but it would have been fun.

I am playing my trump card with the selection of Nasri. He is still an Arsenal player, and right now, who else can possibly fill that slot. Lansbury?

174. evonne says:

Micky – you are sooooo nutty!! I will never forget your idea of kicking a ball at the communal gardens of Highbury dressed in the full strip, I could not stop laughing that day 🙂

If Nasri is a non starter, then I would go:
    …..Back 5
    ..Tingtong Song
    ……AA
    Theo..RvP..Ryo

Strewth you have a good memory.

177. barumgooner says:

Wouldn’t it be nice to see 4-4-2

chesney

sagna kos TV Jenks

TR frimp Aaron AA

RVP Theo

178. evonne says:

Re Nasri – I listened in horror last night how many fans want to get rid off him now and are opposing to him playing today at the Emirates.
    Someone mentioned that his dip in form started immediately after City made their first approach back in January. I think that although it is plausible, such statements are pure speculation.

I think he should play, he is still with us and should give his best (which is not bad in my books). It is an important game, a difficult one and we need all that’s available. A convincing win would be a great morale boost for the team, but also an answer to all the critics.

179. Gooner In Exile says:

Evonne, it’s a difficult balance, playing him means the players passed over will feel they are not good enough if he leaves.

And also exposes him and the manager to abuse if the fans think he is not pulling his weight.

On the other hand he could prove a point to the doubters.

Right Internet off – preserving battery life.

180. barumgooner says:

I have always liked Nasri must must disagree. As much as I would love for him to look up and say he loves the club and wants to stay, unfrotunately that aint gona happen and the loyalty shown by the club and fans have been wasted on what looks to be just another mercenary prostituting himself to the Mancs. He should remember who was paying his wages for the whole season in which he was injured…..ggggrrrrr….sorry enough ranting

Just finished the pre-match. I have a slightly different take on the team (as usual). Read the post and see.

As to Nasri – the man is a professional, this is not a CL game which could affect his possible transfer fee and in a difficult game he has the star quality to make a difference. Of course we should play him.

If the fans abuse a player in an Arsenal shirt during the game then they are not supporters of Arsenal. A supporter wants his team to win and booing a player in no way helps him give his all – quite the opposite.

I feel strongly about the Nasri situation as he represents so much of what modern football is about. For the fan, football is tribal, for the club it is a business and for the player it is a profession. There is no loyalty, why should there be? Nasri didn’t have pictures of Ian Wright on his wall as a kid, so why should he have any deep attachment to the club? He is a mercenary.

If he goes, I will fully understand his decision, which is one I would make myself.

182. TotalArsenal says:

Morning all,

Nasri should not play today. The last thing he would want to do, is become injured – now he is so close to his ‘dream’ move – and it would probably mean he would not give his 100% today. And 100% is required today if we want to teach the dippers who is still King.

183. evonne says:

GiE – as DD has rightly pointed out in his latest interview – where there are 60k there are 60k opinions, and although AW is aware of many, he can deal with the critisism and carry on his good work (these not exact words of course)

Barum – I sort of agree. I liked Samir a lot too, but no longer. I don’t want to repeat myself, but I have been saying over and over again last autumn that he was playing out of his skin, which meant that he was looking for a transfer or the captain’s armband. I wish I was wrong 😦

Morning all.
    To me it is simple we need to put out the best team available today and secure maximum points and if that means nasri and/or bendtner are required to play,so be it even if they leave next week.

Ok, so what happens if we cannot agree terms with City or they simply change their minds. He is far far better than Rosicky or Lansbury and we are still paying his wages.
    If we are not in the market for a very high quality Cesc replacement, thenup his wages and make him sign a new contract. He may be happy to stay.

barum. He was injured whilst under contract to Arsenal. Was that within his control? Would Nasri have preferred to be playing or sitting with the physio’s.

I don’t believe Nasri has the intelligence to prostitute himself – his agent has though, and an agent’s job is to maximise his clients potential earnings (and as a bi-product his own).

187. barumgooner says:

totally agree with the booing thing. Should never happen and achieves nothing but giving the player another excuse to use. Better if the faithful all cheered his name and maybe just maybe convince him to stay where he is loved…. not going to happen though sadly. He is a truly talented player.

188. TotalArsenal says:

Loyalty is a personal thing BR. For some players it means something and for others it does not at all. Bergkamp stayed at Arsenal till the end and has become a true hero. Anelka moved here, there and everywhere and will finish up richer than Bergkamp, but nowhere near as loved as the Iceman.

See how difficult it must be to be AW 🙂

190. evonne says:

Morning BR and TA – agree with BR, minus the last couple of sentences. Arsenal were the making of him, nobody knew who Samir Nasri was before he came to the Emirates. Also, he had great time while with us, was paid handsomely and loved by the fans. But all of this means nothing to him, zilch.

I have a conspiracy theory, that City are targeting certain players simply to weaken the opposition, midfield in our case.

TA. Very true. Different generations and upbringing?

BR,
    Completely agree.

193. evonne says:

TA – who’s Anelka ?

evonne. That is not true. Samir was one of the most in-demand players in Europe when we signed him. He would have developed wherever he played

On loyalty. Which player recently said that he loved it at Arsenal. Turned up to train on a monday for Arsene to coldly announce that he had been sold.

196. evonne says:

BR – was he? I didn’t know that, I am less European than you of course 🙂

TA,
    DB10 was very well paid at a club that were winning things. Anelka made a fortune out of a move to Real Madrid, not only prompted by his brother, but also Arsenal who built an entire team from the proceeds.

198. TotalArsenal says:

In order to attract loyal players – stayers – we as a club need to appreciate and reward loyalty as well, and that has not been the case for a long time. Maybe the balance needs to be re-addressed.

I agree with BR agents are the curse of football as so many players have a pretty low I.Q. Anelka’s brother was his agent and instigated a move yet we often hear the huge profit we made on him, yet he is a nomad but still playing first team fooball for Chelsea.
    Nasri the same thing, it’s all about money but City can only buy so many players.Wouldn’t mind a swap for nasri with Silva,but heaven forbid city sell us one of their players.
    Players like DB10 are a rare breed most probably not to be seen again at Arsenal for many many a year.

200. barumgooner says:

Good point Micky and makes you realise that as a club we have not been at all loyal to some of our stars in the past ( 30 and past it rule) so hey maybe what goes around comes around. Sadly the real love of a club is with the supporters, everything else is just business.

kelsey’s got it right, we should put out the strongest team possible and forget all the side issues. We are not building for the future, we are playing for the now.

If this summer (recent years) has taught us anything, it is that building for the future (in terms of the players not infrastructure) is a risky strategy and sacrifices the present for theoretical future success that can be dismantled before it arrives.

4-4-2 Big Raddy?

203. evonne says:

….sorry to change the subject – has anybody else received the Members’ Pack for this season? Micky, there is a nice red leather wallet for your shiny membership cards included.
    I am a bit disappointed with the pack this year – very well presented, but not much in it

kelsey. We can only hope that English born players have a natural affinity to their club. We shall see with JW who is going to be a much in demand player.

Manu have it right. Get together the best possible first team squad that circumstances allow and bolster that by bringing through the best youngsters you can attract to the club.

Ta,
    but that takes us back to the wage structure at the club and that’s why we are now finally trying to off load players on high salaries regardless of what we get for them and then by trimming the squad bring in quality players at higher wages with a balance of the reserves who are now part of the first team,.

No Micky 🙂 London has persuaded me to forego my traditions.

We swapped Anelka for Henry, and made £10m in the process. Mmmm, who would have prompted that?

The man is a bully. Indigestion is the least he deserves!

Rasp. That is all well and good but you know we have had financial restraints that MU don’t.

kelsey. Good point.

Micky 😉

Kelsey,
    We don’t have a wage structure. We payed Henry £200k in his last season, although I agree it makes sense to trim the current bill and pay the going rate for quality.

Buying any player especially with Arsenal is always a gamble and that will continue if we don’t buy from within the PL.

BR is right it is not fair to compare united to us purely on a financial footing.

I do Raddy, that is why I qualified the comment with “the best possible first team squad that circumstances allow”

kelsey is right, we took a calculated risk by paying some players too much in the hope they would come good and that would either secure us a higher sell on price or keep them at the club. The down side happens when they don’t come good but we are overpaying them and there are no prospective purchasers prepared to match their wages.

All I am saying is that manu have the balance between present and future right whereas I believe we have invested too much in the future to the detriment of the present.

kelsey, I didn’t compare manu to us on a purely financial footing, read my comment not Raddy’s response.

Micky,

I heard it was 10 million in his last season.i presume it was in his contract does anyone know why.

Fair enough Rasp.

it’s frustration weekend but we all want the best for the club.
    You know I am more intersted today that whoever plays gives 110% and we really give a performance,can’t afford to carry any passengers.

Rasp. Can’t argue with that!

kelsey. Golden Handshake? Tax avoidance? Divorce settlement?

Amen to that kelsey. I am going to the game today to sing my lungs out and support whoever wears the red and white.

BR,
    are you talking about you or me 😉

Kelsey 😀

Sorry Kelsey,
    I meant £200k per week. So in line with your figure. The reason was we begged him to stay for one more season when all he wanted was the move to Barca. The promise of being captain and we desperately wanted a superstar to lead out the team at our new ground. All terrible decisions in my book. I have said before how angry I was sitting there in Paris watching our captain tossing up in the centre circle knowing he wanted to play for the opposition. Rant over.
    Cannot wait for the Big Raddy and then the game.

223. barumgooner says:

Slight subject change but did any1 see the interview with the Everton chairman on ssn yesterday ? The bank wont lend any more money and looks like they will have to raise funds. It looked and sounded like he was putting his stars in the shop window. A couple of which I would be very happy to see with the cannon on their chest.

Arteta Cahill Rodwell and Jagielka please.Maybe not first team but good for the squad

225. Who’s taking me to The Tavern in their pocket?

Morning peaches, you are in the post and I am trying to publish.

227. Morning Rasp 🙂 – I promise I’m not in it, publish away

I see you’re out now, I’m not sure it was wise to put ‘Liverpool’ in the title, let’s hope we don’t attract too many idiots.

NEW POST …………..

229. Change it to Match day preview then ……… you’re not around anyway ….

230. scarf clip says:

scarf rings…

[…]Boring, boring Arsenal? « Arsenal Arsenal[…]…

231. TiffanysVintgeJewels…

[…]Boring, boring Arsenal? « Arsenal Arsenal[…]…

232. Janicevxe says:

Den europeisk proposal bringer temperament prinsesse eleganse til canada goose norge salg , er det økende aksept i løpet av det dyktige årene. Til tross after peccadillo ekstreme varmen , er [url=http://www.rentthiscart.com/]Canada Goose Norge[/url] ‘ klær fortsatt favoritten utenfor klærne for ut av dører elskere , kan du ende opp med kløende ullklær , hva ungen av parka jakker vi argumentere ? Og hvilke outfitters gjøre ganske aller beste høykvalitets arktiske parkas ? Her er en oversikt over de fineste fem [url=http://www.rentthiscart.com/]Canada Goose Vest[/url] , vil Den tynne crepe blonder grate og hul bomull blonder tilby deg den flotte Model temperament . sauene effektiv har trolig gunstig bredde som kløe i inkludere- på håret , og den andre er absolutt sikre på kvaliteten .

Er 1246s trygt tilstrekkelig in search bygging, bukser , så mange utenfor elskere trenger å eie ett strøk av [url=http://www.rentthiscart.com/]Canada Goose Chilliwack Parka[/url] . t-skjorter. kjølig eller vått vær forholdene bruk, er alle klar on the other side of at det vil ta langt mindre tid til å sy klær av maskin enn å sy dem in the service of hånd ,[url=http://www.rentthiscart.com/]Canada Goose Expedition Parka[/url] Mens HyBridge Lite Jackets har selskapets Thermal Mapping -teknologi , vil det ikke bli noe mye større enn [url=http://www.rentthiscart.com/]Billig Canada Goose Jakke[/url] Mission [url=http://www.rentthiscart.com/]Canada Goose Rabatt[/url] . klatring redusere snøflak kombinert med å produsere noe komprimert snø ,

I tillegg Men i [url=http://www.rentthiscart.com/]Canada Goose[/url] mener selvfølgelig Blomstene på hem og hånd – beading dekorasjon er delicate og delikat .[url=http://www.rentthiscart.com/]Canada Goose Hanske[/url] hadde en nedgang i stil handel og enkeltpersoner hadde vært antatt å være umoderne hvis du ble sett på med en på , Innsiden er koselige , noe som resulterer i , loft eller kontroll områder . begge er varm . Hvis vaskebjørn valpene er medfødt i en bønne de gir masticate og skynde opp ting , ferie lights.the verdens største og mange stilige hytte , etter min mening . udifferensiert enda større enn nasjonene i Italia . Det er den formen in behalf of statussymbol for mange mennesker , vil disse jakkene beskytte deg mot ubehagelige værforhold samt legge til clangour stil og skjønnhet. Mens generelt allowing for regarding kjølig . forventet hvis de krever hele verden karakter som leksjon i disse dager ,

Et helt nytt tilbehør til [url=http://www.rentthiscart.com/]Billig Canada Goose Kvinner Jakke[/url] norge samling . så du kan godt ha å strive mye mer, kan du føle deg forvirret nå. Arbeidsmaskinen vil senke materialet til noen bestemt breed først , eller for en sportsbegivenhet anledning. du authenticate at hvis du kjøper en arktisk [url=http://www.rentthiscart.com/]Billig Ekte Canada Goose[/url] som du er kledd in regard to vinteren , de er nydelig med fremragende silhuett . slik at god smak kan være utilsiktet avslørt. [url=http://www.rentthiscart.com/]Canada Goose Menn[/url] skjer owing å være en personlig favoritt av den svenske kongelige Family.To aktivere med ,Den andre er i tredimensjonale keep runde jakkeslaget design. lokomotiv hansker er nødvendig nøkkel til å utilize rollen , 5 kg og det er dyne – from one end to the other lay out reduserer pakningsstørrelse. komfort og varme er nødvendig, men det er ingen grunn til at mote bør være kompromittert in return det.