You’ve only come to see Eboue.

Who has been my least favoured player over the last 3 seasons? Emmanuel Eboue. Who has been my favourite Gooner of the last 3 seasons? Emmanuel Eboue. And herein lies the conundrum. How could such a likeable man become so annoying when he got on the pitch?

We have had many discussions over the months about the efficacy of Emmanuel; what he brings or doesn’t bring to the team, but no-one has ever questioned his commitment to the cause. He swallowed the whole AFC cake, history, tradition, fandom and obsession. He become the totem at the club when not playing, greeted the players when they left the pitch, was the first to celebrate a goal, he has been a Gooner personified. BUT he was not paid to be a Gooner, he was paid a huge amount of money to be an effective footballer and it is this context that he let us down.

This is the man who invented the starfish – lying on the ground as though hit by a piece of 4 by 2. Staring at the ref, beseeching him to take action against the miscreant who was close enough to Eboue to allow him to dive. simulate. I hated his theatrics. I hated his lack of honesty – it was not and is not the Arsenal way. I also found his lack of end product immensely frustrating – for a man who can beat a player both with pace and tremendous skill, he should have had more assists. He has a wonderful engine, can get from box to box in seconds , can drift past opposition defenders with ease but to what effect? He never learned to cross accurately, find a man in the box, nor shoot on target. To be fair, he did become more disciplined in his last season and perhaps Galatasary have signed a bargain.

I was ashamed to be a Gooner when he got booed off the pitch having been brought on in a position he had never played in previously, no Arsenal player should be humiliated in such a manner that AW is forced to replace him. It was a night of shame for all true Arsenal fans. How did Eboue react? He manned up, put in more effort, more training, made himself popular again. Grounds all over the country resounded to “You’ve only come to see Eboue”, such was his resurrection as a player.

It was typical of EE’s luck that he left the club in the same week as someone else who has been hogging the limelight. Few words have been devoted to his 6 years of loyal service, it is a shame because he deserves so much more. This is not a Nasri whose love for the club can be measured in ยฃ’s, it is a man who sweated blood for a club he loves.

Eboue’s AFC career was blighted by injury and it was his ankle rather than his lack of talent that forced AW to sign Sagna as our first choice right back. He played 132 games for us and always gave his all, never hid despite the boo-boys, always played with a smile.

I wish him well at his new club, they have signed a Man, not a spoilt brat but some-one who knows how to overcome adversity with a wide, toothy grin. ย Emmanuel Eboue is a clown but he is also a real Arsenal man, farewell and thank you.

Written by Big Raddy

231 Responses to You’ve only come to see Eboue.

1. WiganGooner says:

Love it BR

Great job ๐Ÿ˜€

WG

2. GunnerPete says:

Thank you Manny you were better than most ‘experts’ thought and should have been coached out of mistakes. I hope and know you will get a great welcome when if/you come back with another team.
    Good luck sunshine.

3. hamzi says:

its a shame, he was the best right back in epl until sagna came. i guess its difficult when you are not playing regularly.

4. Red Arse says:

Could not agree more BR. ๐Ÿ™‚

Ha Ha..as the song goes:
    Lets all email Parson,
    Lets all email Parson,
    La la la la

Thanks Big Raddy,
    I know I mentioned the diving earlier this morning, but you are right to focus on the good. He always gave 100% and that is all we ask of everyone who pulls on the famous jersey.

Super post Raddy, I shall miss Eboue for his ebullient manner and his contribution to team spirit as well as being a more than adequate 2nd choice RB – I shan’t miss the starfish though ๐Ÿ™„

Parson,
    If your inbox fills up with spam then it is because you are rude. Ha Ha

9. boyo says:

I always rated him when he was our regular right back and I think his mistakes crept in through lack of game time but his attitude was an example for all especially with our young squad. Not the time to sell him from my side as we are very thin at fullback

10. ITALO says:

wenger is a fool,when id he goona strenthing the squade,hummm………..old animal..until we are 7th in the league table……less than weeks,the transfer will close

11. TotalArsenal says:

Hi BR, a great tribute to the man with the wide, white smile. Very few things were more beautiful to watch than Eboue running at full speed with the ball. Who else could keep his body so erect and yet run so fast?

12. Red Arse says:

Gnarley,

— “So how does Fergie do it?? He doesnโ€™t manage with accountants eyes.”

The major difference between Ferguson and Arsene, is that red Nose says “Go and get me HIM”. And “Don’t bother me with the financial details that’s YOUR job”.

Arsene frets about not just the playing ability of the player in question, but also his intangible value in the transfer market. He sees both as HIS job and his responsibility.

The result?
    Ferguson is lauded as a brilliant manager, winning trophies by buying players who are the equivalent of Ferraris and Lamborghinis — but so could Fat sam in those circumstances.

Wenger IS a brilliant manager but does not have the trophies to show because he weighs himself down with all the other paraphernalia of Club responsibility, and settles for buying players who are mostly the equivalent of Fords or Vauxhalls and tries to ‘tweak’ them into masterpieces
    No other manager could have done what he has achieved with this self imposed (?) financial handicap — but he is lambasted for his efforts.

Weird world – but that is football — people want to be associated with success — and success means trophies.

Pick your side!
    There will be those who will support Arsenal thru’ thick and thin, come what may, trophies or no! — {include me in};
    And, there will be those who will be unhappy and dissatisfied, perhaps with good reason, that a great club are not always winning trophies, and will loudly make that unhappiness known! {Sorry, include me – OUT}

There is no right or wrong here – just different attitudes and different value judgements.

Now look what you got me started on Gnarley! ๐Ÿ™‚

13. Rocky Jay says:

well written mate…
    Eboue, a true Gooner!
    Very much unlike Nasri and Cesc!
    and Parsons…you are gonna get what you deserve for calling Manu an idiot!

Morning RA, I think there is a third category to which I would subscribe – those that will support the club unequivocally but are hugely frustrated that we are allowing ourselves to fall behind for the sake of a little ambition in the transfer market – not bankrupting the club, or throwing away the financial model but just reinvesting in players and learning from our past mistakes.

RA 10.10. Excellent summation. As you say, “pick your side”.

I am removing Mr Parson’s comment – for his sake not ours ๐Ÿ˜€

17. 037 says:

He leaves with my total blessing…. unlike the 2 “stars” who have just left/is about to leave..

18. Eboue was so much more than just a footballer. He lit up the entire club with his incredible and professional attitude. The man came back from being booed off by total twats – Parson I am looking at you.

I can’t help but think we could do with him in our current injury situation!

Emanuel I wish you all the best and I know that true Gooners will always remember your fondness.

I seem to remember the starfish leading to us scoring in the CL final!!

19. Melo says:

Thank you for this. Eboue gave everything he had to Arsenal and the fans. That might not have been enough for some people but I will always appreciate his contribution.

A true Arsenal legend. Praise be to Eboue!

20. evonne says:

Rocky Jay – you are insane, Cesc not a true Gooner?? Cesc didn’t give us him 100%, if I were you I would ask for that comment to be removed from the blog

21. goonermichael says:

I have more respect for EE than I have for some others who are gone/going. He is a true gooner.

22. Sheriff says:

its painful people are so blind to the contributions of Eboue. It is always nice having someone like him in dressing room. I’m sure he will be missed. I wish him all the best

23. TotalArsenal says:

RA, Ferguson is more successful because that is the only thing that drives him. He is not in pursuit of beauty of immortality, other than through the number of titles and cups he has won. Arsene is a totally different beast: he wants to win through beauty football, and that is the hardest way. Time will tell who will become the more ‘immortal’ of the two!

24. Roland says:

Do you think Eboue wanted to leave to get on with his career, and not be in Sagna’s shadow? I know that he had said last year that he would hate to ever leave.

It seems such a shame to me, he would be so welcoming for all the new young guys as they settle into the squad. And a calming, lighthearted relief for all as the guys tackle the challenges of this year. With so much fan and media pressure lumped on the young shoulders of just AR and JW, let alone everyone else.

There was a photo earlier this year of EE messing around with young Ryo at his first training session. You can imagine Ryo couldn’t understand a word Manu was saying, or anyone else for that matter, but that it made him feel comfortable and welcome.

Anyone able to rationalise for me? All our other departures i understand.

25. evonne says:

BR – very, very interesting take on EE. I am not a fan of his, but will be sad to see him go.
    The night he was booed of the pitch and walked off crying, broke my heart. You are right, no Arsenal player should be treated so abominably.
    I was delighted to see him fight back, until that awful penalty when he jumped on Lucas’ back, sheer idiocy. So yes, his horrid mistakes wiped out all the good work that he put in over the years, that’s how I will remember him. Oh yeah, and rolling on the ground and gesticulating to the refs, yuuuuk

26. Danny says:

One of the worst players to ever play for us. Summed up by that penalty he gave away against Liverpool – useless.

Roland. EE is not a good enough player for AFC. He was but he isn’t anymore. Rationalised?

As I said, top bloke but not a top footballer.

BTW jwparsons. That kind of racist crap would be spammed on any Arsenal site.

Go away.

29. Red Arse says:

Well said Raddy!

30. pat says:

Always liked Eboue – starfish on dude… the “spend some f ing money crowd” will be in overdrive now as to how we are going to fill the void in the squad with him leaving ๐Ÿ™‚

31. pat says:

Sure feels like a bit of a clean out!

32. Red Arse says:

Rasper,

I hear you, and I am sure there are shades of ‘grey’ in all support.
    My position is clear, but it does not stop me questioning various issues, because I am not blind to the inconsistencies that appear to be surrounding the club at the moment.

However, I try to rationalise the whys and wherefores of what I hear and see, and even offer Arsene my unasked for opinion ๐Ÿ™‚ and I do sometimes have a good old moan, but that is very different from simply ranting and raving.

I don’t see you as being any different, altho’ you are perhaps a little more frustrated than I am, at the moment.

What’s wrong with that? Nothing!! ๐Ÿ™‚

I think the same thing happened to Eboue as with lauren, though I am not comparing them in ability.
    I think an offer came in for eboue either before or after we bought Jenkinson, and Wenger finally decided to cash in.
    Lauren has a house in my street and i have met him only twice.he was happy at arsenal and was shocked when one day he came into training and wenger told him point blank that portsmouth had made an offer for him and they had accepted it.This shows the old ruthless streak in Wenger, though i accept i have only heard lauren’s version.

34. pat says:

Is it me or is there not much chance of a big signing happening until after the return Udinese game?

35. South Yorkshire Gunner says:

I won’t be sad to see him go – Shite

Just wish he’d take Song, Diaby, Almunia, Sqillaci & Bendtner with him

Which one of the top 6 would have any of these in their side? None

36. pat says:

I hope for Le Boss’ sake its something big cause it would be the end of him if he doesnt…. at least the beginning of

Great stuff RA, it amazes me that some people think I have a negative agenda – look back at my comments prior to any game. I never predict we’ll lose and I always expect us to win. The inane pessimist/realist/optimist categorisation is a pointless exercise.

If we were politicians we might be expected to follow the party line (whip) but I am unshackled in my support and will tell it as I see it. But I am certainly not one of those who is relishing the day I can say I was right, I am hoping for the day when I can say, “well that just shows how much I know” ๐Ÿ˜›

38. London says:

BR

That is one of the most dignified posts that AA have ever had.

39. Red Arse says:

Rasp ๐Ÿ™‚

Comes into the category of an ‘occasional good old moan’ — which everyone does —- occasionally. ๐Ÿ™‚

I almost wrote earlier, that I am really excited and looking forward to seeing London eating his hat. Then he said he would traipse about in his red and white smalls, so I thought better of it. ๐Ÿ™‚

40. London says:

Rasp

“He’s not fooling anyone” (Wenger)

Here is where we are different, you seem to have this idea that Wenger is purposely trying to fool people where as I and those who have a certain amount of sympathy for what Wenger is dealing with, do not think he is trying to fool anyone. He is simply trying to deal with the difficult situation the best he can.

I said that his statements are not aimed at you the fans they are aimed at other clubs, players and their agents.

I will give you an example, when Van Persie was injured he put out a statement saying we will be in the market for a new striker. This was an advert to all players that might be interested in coming to Arsenal to make themselves known, as it turned out no one did. The problem is that fans take what he says literally as though his comments are a press release to them — they are not.

41. gunnern5 says:

Here we are two games played, one draw, one win, zero goals against, one goal scored.

Not a bad start considering the missing players , Newcastle was a test that we came through, Udinese were a lot better than most people had anticipated so even a thin 1-0 win was good.

But the knives are already out and being honed.

Were we at our best in these games, well no is the answer, have we been worse, well yes we have, sometimes for many consecutive seasons – not just individual games.

While I understand people being frustrated and sometimes exasperated I cannot, and will never, understand the amount of bitter and morbid comments that are made, and backed up by wild and fanciful interpretations as to the reasons for our “decline”.

What decline?

I could smother you with statistics on how much better AW has been and still is in comparison to any other Arsenal manager and better than most managers in the world.

But why bother, as to the naysayers and ne’er do wells there is only one true sign of success and that is a trophy- regardless of the type of football played and what position we are in financially – all they seem to want is the bragging rights that comes with a trophy.

How bloody shallow is that!

There is nothing wrong with discontent (like Kelsey’s) but many of the comments are beyond the pale with some bloggers even telling us that they “know” quite how they “know” is a mystery to me but I guess that makes them sound knowledgeable.

I have to admire two of AA,s originals, BR and DD as they both maintain the site ethos when they are not only debating with other bloggers but also when they are referring to our club and it’s officials,

I’m not suggesting that there is a right and wrong between being positive or negative because both are valid emotions.

It’s the wild theories that are used to substantiate the negative feelings – and the slighting of AW that drive me crazy………

I’m clearly on the side of the positive group and agree with people like London and Kelsey is also spot on – if I still lived on Avenell Road then I would see each and every game, win, lose. draw, trophy or no trophy, and I would leave every game with a sore throat from willing my team on – not bitter, defeatist thoughts.

42. London says:

RA

My hat is going to keep me warm throughout the winter months. Nasri will stay, take big gulp.

43. Red Arse says:

Well GN5 has certainly put you and I into our places Rasper.

We are clearly malcontents and n’er do wells as we are the only regular AA’ers on here at the moment who were not mentioned in despatches.

I am cut to the quick! ๐Ÿ™‚

44. Red Arse says:

London,

I would not like to see you forced into a state of deshabille, but on the other hand I think there would be an unpleasant smell of moral decay, if Nasri stayed at this stage.

It would be in the best interests of all that he should leave and leave now! (Well, the best interests of all save for you, I suppose) ๐Ÿ™‚

45. London says:

I think there is little doubt that anyone who now lives abroad or for that matter anyone who lives in reasonable distance from the ground and had access to the finances would be a season ticket holder.

My point is that I am fortunate to be one and I ask, how am I supposed to go there week in and week out if I thought everything that the manager did was wrong and was critical of him at every opportunity that arises. Why wouldn’t I simply stop going? I go because I look for the positives in all things Arsenal that is not to suggest that people should stop finding fault in Wenger when ever there is an opportunity but understand why I don’t.

RA, I have never changed from my ethos, and I wrote all the site ‘rules’ such as they are.

Support Arsenal, debate in a friendly way, no petty arguing and no insults – that is my mantra.

I defend the right of anyone to express their view as long as they conform with those simple tenets.

47. London says:

RA

I know this is none of my business but I see no reason why GN5’s comment is aimed at you.

48. Red Arse says:

Rasper,

I was just teasing GN5, because of the way he named ‘names’ and judiciously left us out!

look I’m throwing a party soon and I intend to invite DD, BR, London and of course you. So there! ๐Ÿ™‚

I am sure GN5 did not mean to offend us by his exclusions.

Or did he? ๐Ÿ™‚

49. Red Arse says:

London,

Anything I write in public is fair game for comment by anyone, as far as I am concerned.

I like to tease my fellow AA’ers – 26, Rasper, Micky, you and now GN5 and the list is growing – but that’s all it is. Join in and tease right back!! ๐Ÿ™‚

50. WiganGooner says:

Oh so I don’t get an invite? How cheeky ๐Ÿ˜›

WG

51. Red Arse says:

Hi WG, ๐Ÿ™‚

What’s cheeky is that the party was totally fictitious! ๐Ÿ™‚

I have been meaning to ask you. (Don’t say, if it is to personal, of course). But are you a Lancashire lad born and bred, or did you move oop North from the decadent South?

I think I told you that I worked on a job in Wigan for 2 or 3 months many years ago, staying in a grotty motel and some small but comfortable hotels, and became quite interested in Wigan Warriors, Rugby League team.

Loved the passion of the fans too. I still watch them when I get a chance — the team not the fans. Top of the table at the mo’!! ๐Ÿ™‚

Good summary of the man, BR.

Shame his career seemed to go into reverse after a great start in the first team.

53. WiganGooner says:

@RA

I’m a bit of a Nomad really, I was born in Yorkshire, and lived in a place called South Elmsall, nr Wakefield until I was 7 and then moved down to a village called Birchington, nr Margate in Kent.

Lived there until two years ago, when I moved up here with the Mrs. She’s a Wiganer and when we decided to start a family we moved up here to get settled closer to her family.

Which is largely why I struggle to see Arsenal these days, usually I rely on my mates now with the odd spare ticket and then catch them when they play away up ‘ere, like when they played Wigan at Xmas.

WG

Right that’s you off the list RA no room for you in my villa, and anyway you wouldn’t get through the door ๐Ÿ™‚

55. WiganGooner says:

@RA

In addition, whilst I was in Kent I moved down to a wonderful seaside town called Broadstairs where I lived for 4 years and loved every second of it.

Of course being in Kent it was a doddle to get to Highbury and the Emirates, my Dad did a lot of work in London so he always knew somewhere he could park for free ๐Ÿ˜€ and we’d all go.

I forgot to put that in the original reply.. ๐Ÿ˜€ Oopsie!

WG

56. Red Arse says:

Kelsey, ๐Ÿ™‚

I only tease you a little bit my friend. ๐Ÿ™‚

When you come out with a snippet of inside info, I am always inclined to believe it and pass it on. Your comments are steeped in the real experiences of a life long Arsenal fan and need to be respected.

I am back on the list now? ๐Ÿ™‚

G5,
    “All they seem to want is the bragging rights that come with a trophy. How bloody shallow is that”.
    Who the bloody hell on this site are you referring to? As I know of no plastic trophy hunters.

58. Red Arse says:

Thanks WG, so you are the John Radford of the AA blog world, as he is a Yorkshire lad and still frequents Arsenal.

Of course he actually played for Arsenal — whereas you write beautifully for Arsenal, Arsenal – as we say in Noo Yawk it sounds so good you gotta say it twice!! ๐Ÿ™‚

59. Red Arse says:

Micky,

That would be me and the Rasper! ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ (don’t tell him I said that he might give me a smack — if he could reach) ๐Ÿ™‚

Sorry RA, but G5 is the only one who can answer that.

61. dandan says:

Lovely Stuff Raddy, Yes EE made me mad when he cheated, but still I canโ€™t think of him without smiling. Funny that, all has not gone well for him yet he makes me smile.

Bit like my Arsenal when I think about it, nearly 60 years of watching them, good times, bad times, terrible times, wonderful times, all merge together into a montage that fill my world with pleasure. Win, lose or draw. I have never stopped believing. So am I just an old fart? Probably; kids and grandkids are regaled regularly with tales off the mighty Arsenal, strange how many of those tales, revolve around losing. I wont mention the games they are part of our history.

But most of all they remind me of how lucky I have been to have had Arsenal in my life, which is why I find the negative vibes flying around in a time when things are not going our way Nauseating. Sorry if that word upsets some, and I aim at no individual, unfortunately it does make me feel sick at heart to read some of the vitriol that pervades the airwaves, blogosphere and press. But it is the so-called fans I take issue with, abusing, booing and badmouthing our club and its employeeโ€™s. As you describe in the treatment of EE above.

Constructive reasoned criticism fine, but even a constant diet of that erodes the spirit and no doubt affects the players as they become timid and lose confidence. To buy or not to buy, we will see, no doubt whatever they do they canโ€™t win; who ever we buy will be castigated for being wrong for a whole gamut of reasons. But that it seems, epitomises many of the modern fans, never satisfied or happy unless his opinion is the one listened to.

A wonderful club with a wonderful history and no doubt a great future is today wilting under a barrage of nonsense that refuses to recognise what we mean to the football world. Pride they say goes before a fall. Well I will risk that, because nothing can take away a lifetime of pleasures shared, friendships made and memories to drool over.

For me negatives are something to do with photography, positives are what have driven my life and will continue so to do.

62. sleepinggiant says:

I really dont understand why some posters in here think that it is somehow laudable not to criticise the unprecadented horrors that this club is going through this close season. In fact, it is those who do not criticise that are suffering from knee-jerk hysteria – sometimes difficulties must be faced up to, not ignored with an empty glassy, dumb-eyed stare.

In all my decades supporting the club, I have never seen anything like this. We have sold two quality full backs and recruited one third division one. We have sold, or are on the verge of selling, two absolute world class midfielders – (world class, 40 million class, not 10 million class), and, at the very very most we will buy one average player to replace them – we might not even do that!. We are on the verge of selling Bendtner and have replaced him with Gervinho – WHY DIDNT WE SELL CHAMAKH. We have farmed out average, but experienced squad players such as Vela and Denislon and replaced them with a third division winger and nobody else. We have refused to address the one area of embarrassing weakness that destroyed our season, at centre back. None of this is speculation or exaggeration – it is all fact.

Oh and this is two years after we kick-started the City revolutoin by selling them two of our best players.

Our fool of a manger keeps telling us how close we were to winning things last year as an excuse not to bring players – ALL THE TIME HE SELLS OFF OUR BEST PLAYERS. He preaches stability as an excuse not to buy, yet flaunts his own ideals by selling off our best players at prices that he, himself considers are below their market value – where is the great economist in this. This is not stability, it is capitulation.

This, ladies and gentlemen, is far to big a disaster to be simply called a crisis. It is the willful destruction of a once great club at a time when its financial power is there for all to see. To those of us who once worshipped Wenger, this is nothing short of disgusting betrayal.

There is nobody on earth, not you me, Phil Brown Nick Leeson, or Ken bloody Dodd, that could have made a worse mess of this summer. It is incompetant, astonishing, disgusting and treacherous.

Even if we sign say, Eden Hazard, this does not excuse it – what about our other class midielder. What about a full back, or a centre half, or a decent centre forward?

If anyone wants to talk calmness, well this is a calm reasoned assessment of the current Arsenal squad. In the circumstanced of an elite champions league squad, It is an embarrassment. There is no reason, footballing or financial, for this apalling abdication of managerial responsibility.

Plain truth – on the assumption that Spuds sign our two superb former players, Adebayor and Diarra, the absolute limite of our ambition this year is to finish 6th.

In Wenger we Trust.

63. evonne says:

Instead of the usual bullshit coming from Wenger the fans want to hear something along these lines:
    ‘We’ve lost our best player, I tried everything to keep Cesc, but failed. We are about to lose Nasri, it was a fuck up with his contract…I don’t know what to say, but we are in deep shit’

Is that was he is suppose to tell us??? The man is trying his bloody best to keep calm, to reassure both us and the players, and at the same time deliver a replacement strategy and all he gets is bollocking from his own fans.

64. sleepinggiant says:

No Evonne. The fans want to hear somthing along these lines:-

On top of all of teh rest of the money the club has, you are aware that we have received the guts of 70 million from the recent sales of Eboue, Clichy, Fabregas and soon Nasri.

So I now present you with M’Villa, Cahill and Hazard.

Try that for size.

65. Red Arse says:

Dandan, ๐Ÿ™‚

You lifted my spirits and then I read the rant that followed and my heart sank.

Cannot be bothered to even try and discuss it.

66. sleepinggiant says:

And believe me, the glazed over denial of your pretend smart comment didnt do much for me either.

But you shoudl be happy. At least you are getting the Arsenal you seem to want.

Congratulations – enjoy mid table. I on the other hand will cheer my team and shout them on until they get back where they belong

67. goonermichael says:

Evonne
    It’s hard to argue with anything sleepinggiant says. I really fear for us this year. I an an extremely optimistic person and I’m hoping for 4th. We could be seriously embarrassed by the mancs next week.

68. London says:

Sleepinggiant

I should warn you that with your undoubted writing ability you should expect a call from the Warrior Princes.

However in the mean time as there are so many points to you comment I am going to give you an example of why you are missing the point.

Why aren’t we selling Chamakh instead of Bendtner?

We all know that Bendtner is better and it is the very fact that he is better that is making him wants to leave. Our Striking Viking wants first team football and the only way he is going to get that at Arsenal is when our captain is either banned or injured. You may say that that happens a lot but put yourself in Bendtner’s shoes and you will see the anxiety of possibly spending the best part of a season on the bench in what is an important year of his development.
    Compare that with Chamakh, he came here on a free so he is probably getting paid far more than he would get else where and so sitting on the bench is doing him just fine.

Do you get it now?

69. London says:

GM

I am sure it wouldn’t surprise you to hear that I could argue against every single point he makes.

70. Gooner In Exile says:

superb post Raddy have not caught up with comments yet and I’m sure it has been covered, much as I hated his theatrics it was them very attributes that led to an almighty cheer from this Gooner at the resultant free kick in the CL final.

He unseated the ever dependable Lauren and offered great speed and energy down the right flank. I’m not sure where it all went wrong but I’m sad it did. Shame we never got a real chance to say goodbye.

71. London says:

Sleeping giant

I have one other polite question: I am carrying out a straw pole, are you a season ticket holder?

72. nicholasparson@hotmail.com says:

The one’s that don’t question Wenger and the board are the one’s that don’t go.

73. goonermichael says:

I know you could London. I wrote a comment but sadly it’s been lost in hyperspace.

74. sleepinggiant says:

London – yes I am.

But the Bendtner sisuation is symptomatic of precisely why I am so pissed off with the club at the moment. If it is as simple as Bendtner wants to leave, then, unless we buy a better player, the manager should show him who’s boss and tell him he’s going nowhere. And if the manager is not going to buy a better player, he should be told he stays.

The same should have been done to Fabregas, not this spineless deference to Barcelona. Not only has this attitude lost us our best player for half his true value, it may have cost us our place in the CL group stages. Once there was any whiff of Jack not playing, Fabregas should have been told, in no uncertain terms, that he was playing. The moral cowardice shown in the face of the Barcelona tapping up was a betrayal of the club in mind.

At other big clubs, this does not happen. My feeling is that Wenger prioritises the needy whinging of his ‘babies’ over the club – and that means us, the fans.

75. goonermichael says:

that is not true parson. Some of the people who slag wenger the most don’t go and I knoe ST holders that think the sun shines out of his ringpiece.

76. Gooner In Exile says:

Sleeping giant

The problem as I see it is that all those players you have mentioned NikB, Denilson, Vela, Eboue and Clichy have all been rubbished by the support, unfortunately so many called for their heads they became unplayable. Which is why we are where we are trying to rebuild a squad that really had very little need of being decimated. How much easier it would be to add one Centre Back and Midfielder to replace Cesc rather than the current mission?

77. sleepinggiant says:

GIE

Is that really an excuse? Supporters at every club have their favourites and it is up the management to get them to perform to a standard whereby the fans might actually get behind them. And if the manager thinks they are good enough, they should be kept. Where is the leadership?

I’m sorry, going into this summer I really wanted Wenger to get it right, but everything that has happened suggests that he is no longer able to deal with the problems of a top football club. You simply cannot haemorrage players like we are doing, and then grin at the press conference as though nothing is happening.

Nobody has used the words yet, but Arsenal is having a Fire Sale this summer. Cesc sold for an admitted bargain (since when is it in Arsenals interest to sell a player to a rival for a bargain). Nasri allowed to enter his final year and therfore sold for half his price. Bendtner supposedly sold for 9 million when I would be asking for at least 15. Clichy sold for a mere 7 million to the richest club in the world?

It is unfathomable. Absolutely disgraceful. Any one of the above would be unfortunate, but this litany of disaster suggests that there is something badly wrong in the Arsenal system. This is mismanagement on colossal scale.

78. nicholasparson@hotmail.com says:

Sell the crap players for what they are really worth and have done with it….
    Arshavin ยฃ7m
    Bendtner ยฃ3m
    Eboue ยฃ2m
    Denilson Free
    Almunia Free
    Sqillachi Free

79. nicholasparson@hotmail.com says:

Should have bought Kevin Phillips in 1999, what a career he would have had, a proper fox in the box

nicholas,

Eboue’s already sold, and it’s looking likely a deal for around ยฃ9m is in place for Nik, We don’t want to sell Arshavin as he is a great player. Denilson is on loan in advance of being sold, Almunia may well leave on a free one day and Squillaci has 1 year left on his contract …… I’m really pleased you aren’t in charge of our transfer dealings

81. Gooner In Exile says:

Sleeping Giant I think you’d find quite a few here who agree with your view in terms of players sold, however I think you’ll also fond that when most of us stick up for them we get told that they are not fit to wear the shirt.

However I think Jenkinson looks a good buy and am happy to see him replace Eboue, Clichy offers little more than Traore or Gibbs so again fine.

Gervinho is a better winger than NikB as is Myachi, I know NikB isn’t a winger but it’s the only place ge could find a game in the latter half of the season.

I expect to see Sanchez Watt offer as much as Vela off the bench.

In fact I don’t believe we are far away from the squad we had last season just different names and a gaping hole left by Cesc.

So for me a playmaker is a must and second a centre back.

As for other clubs not suffering want away players, Ronaldo, Tevez and Rooney last year. Just three I’ll name from the top 4.

Modric at Spurs and Torres from Liverpool too.

sleeping giant. I admire your passion and you clearly want the best for the club. However, I have to take issue with your take on the “fire sale”. AW was right, how do you negotiate up for Cesc when there is only one buyer? We got good money for someone who will be a bench player at Barca and is not even first choice in his national team (great player though he is).

Bendy โ‚ฌ15m? Who would pay that for a reserve? I love the big fella but if we get anywhere near 10m we are doing well.

Nasri? One year left on his contract, a 6 month wonder and another to sit on the bench for โ‚ฌ40m? Come on, would AFC pay that for him? No. He is worth what we are getting, no more. Aguero is worth โ‚ฌ38m and Samir unfortunately is not anywhere near his class.

Clichy? Maybe he is 3m underpriced but Gael was sold for the same we paid for Sagna who is a much better player.

Hi GiE,

I think Gerv, Jenkinson, the Ox, Ryo and JC (blimey, that’s all of them!) are all very good buys if they are part of a master plan that includes one or two others. Obviously we will have to wait and see on that one.

Gerv is a first team starter for most games I reckon. If we don’t bring in new players, Jenkinson and the Ox are likely to be on the bench and possibly Ryo.

I can’t wait for the CC to start to get a look at JC, he may well force his way into contention if what I have heard about him is true.

Obviously we cannot expect these young players to bed in immediately (except Gerv) and their performances will be erratic.

Forgetting the hysteria from both sides (and name calling etc.)

I am pleased you have identified the need for a playmaker and a second centre back and I agree entirely.

Raddy, Clichy would have been worth more had he 3 years left on his contract, but as he was in his last year and clearly wanted to leave, I think as you said about Nasri, we got about the right price.

Rasp. Problem is that a playmaker is what every team wants. They are few and far between – hence the high cost.

MU want Snejder, Chavs want Modric, L’pool paid โ‚ฌ20m for an untried kid and look at the money wasted upon Aquilani.

MC rely on creative attackers and hard working MF’s – maybe we should go the same way.

Kos and TV look cheap buys don’t they? So if AW is forced to pay big money for a CB, so be it – just spend it.

86. evonne says:

SleepingGiant – you sound just like Herb, is he a friend of yours?

So you would like Wenger to actually lie that he bought those 3 players? And yes, the fans would be delighted to see Mโ€™Villa and Hazard, more players they have never heard of. They might be in your fantasy football team, but the reality is different, he did not buy your choice players for a reason. PLUS, you missed my point completely. I have merely pointed out that he has an extremely difficult time dealing with the situation, and if he is not telling us everything that’s also for a reason, work it all what.

I agree Raddy, but due to the departures this summer we can’t expect a relative unknown or a youngster to step up that quickly so we should try (emphasis on try) to spend decent money (up to ยฃ25m ish) on a playmaker.

The two Spanish boys we bought from Barca may well turn out to be more Cesc than Merida – only time will tell, but the season has started and we’ve got less than 2 weeks to make a few important additions.

88. sleepinggiant says:

Raddy,

You can and do make a case for each individual situation. The problem is that whatever disease has got into the club, we are talking about 4 or 5 players. In one window. And two years after we sold two more to city.

This simply is not acceptable. It have become a systematic part of Arsene Wengers Arsenal, and it is something that must be got rid of.

And, on your subject of wantaway players – Torres 50 million. Ronaldo 80 million. Rooney – was given what he wanted and responded by firing them to the title. Tevez – still hasnt gone and, even if he does, they have bought in Aguero to replace him.

These examples actually hit the nail on the head of what I am talking about. The selling (or so called non-selling) club in all cases acted like men, grabbed the prospective purchasers by the short and curlies, stared them in the eye and told them ‘ you pay what I want or else’

That is precisely the attitude Arsenal need to take. If we do not decide to keep our star players (a la Rooney and at this stage Tevez), we need to stand up for ourselves.

Nobody, not Wenger, not Gazidis, not Kroenke and not the fans who accept this situation like sheep, is standing up for Arsenal.

Sorry Raddy just read the last bit of your comment. I’d see a total of ยฃ40m on a playmaker and quality CB as sensible good business and we’re still likely to come out of the transfer window having broken even and reduced the wage bill.

90. Harry says:

Afternoon all……..great write raddy, i loved eboue’s infectious happy go lucky persona, the only thing that wound me up was his diving….he was at the start a very good rb, clubs were queuing up for him, we brought in sagna and i expected him to leave, but he stayed and he was i think an excellent squad player who offers a whole lot more than jenkinson, anyone who thinks that jenkinson is a better player at current standpoint, your having a monkey…….eboue can play left or right back comfortably and for all the injuries we have, i wish he was there for saturday. Dont get me wrong i like the potential of jenks but he was woeful on tuesday night.

On the subject of positive or negative, i cannot make my mind up!! The injuries and suspensions have really left us threadbare. I was thinking we only needed 1 cb and a creative player to replace no4 and no8. But with our situ as it is, which could happen as easily later in season, we need maybe 3 in or poss 4, depending on whether campbell comes in or goes on loan…..

91. sleepinggiant says:

Evonne – what difficult situation? Allowing these players to leave before he bought replacements is down to his own deplorable conservatism in the transfer market (if you dont believe me, there is a famous interview the late Danny F or KEn Friar if I’m not mistaken). Evefn (which is not true) if he had to sell them, there was nothing stopping him having at leaset a few replacements in place.

He has no more ‘difficult situation’ than any other big club manager has. But does it stop them doing their job? Of course not. In fact, he is in a far easier position than virtually anyone else given his tenure in office.

And, by the way, I a do not, nor have I ever played fantasy football. For Christs sake the players I listed are hardly Messi. If you think they are beyond the reach our club, I would remind you again that you are a supporter of Arsenal. Not Charlton, West Brom or Sunderla

92. oz gunner says:

@ Mickey

sorry i should have chucked you in the list of highly thought ofs

@ GiE

do you think watt will make it at arsenal?i haven’t seen much of him besides our encounters with leeds last season but surely hes a fair way down the pecking order at the moment. I used to have high hopes for simpson aswel but that didn’t turn out to well

Eboue will be missed (for me more so than cesc). like someone mentioned earlier seeing him cry as he left the pitch tugged the old heart strings. Simply because arsenal ment so much to him. Its a shame most supporters will remember that penalty! I for one will remember him for his loyalty and the story about him lifting AA up and over to supporters so that he’d sign some photos and what not

93. Herb'sArmy says:

Evonne,
    I have been reading this debate with a lot of interest. There are many many fans who would agree with Sleepinggiants sentiments, and there are those who are prepared to reserve their judgement until Sept 1st. I am one of those who will wait until Sept 1st.
    This is the first time I have seen Sleepinggiant post, but as a paying customer he has every right to voice his concerns.
    Your discussion does not involve me, and no we don’t know each other. But what he didn’t do as a passionate Arsenal fan is post an anti-Arsenal joke from a Tottenham fan.

94. oz gunner says:

@ RA

gutted mate, absolutely gutted. i cleared my schedule for this party and here i am with no invite. I feel about as wanted as denilson in the arsenal line-up!

95. TotalArsenal says:

Oz, thanks! ๐Ÿ˜› That is a beautiful image: AA being lifted up like a sack of spuds by the mighty Eboue to hand him over to the fans – I can just imagine him smiling all the while his wide, white smile! Brilliant ๐Ÿ™‚

96. oz gunner says:

@ Herb

i to will reserve my judgement until september 1st. As each day passes im getting more and more nervous though. If nothing changes i’ll be flying over with my pitch fork and flaming timber ready to protest.

97. oz gunner says:

@ TA

haha it is a good sight. Apparently AA walked straight past a bunch of travelling gooners (in austria i think) ready to get onto the team bus. However Eboue wasn’t having a bar of it so he picked him up and lifted him over to the fans. AA signed a few and walked off but eboue wasn;t satisfied so he did it all over again and arshavin couldn’t help but smile. And so AA wasn’t allowed to leave until all the supporters were satisfied haha. Such a great gesture because if you’ve spent your time and money to see the mighty arsenal, a photo, signature, or even a few words doesn’t hurt

98. TotalArsenal says:

OZ, just make sure you are not on the same flight as your fellow countryman Speculum – unless of course you like a bit of verbal torture! ๐Ÿ˜›

99. TotalArsenal says:

Oz, did not know that story at all. You just cannot think of two bigger personality opposites: the melancholic Andrey lifted up by the happy-go-lucky Eboue ๐Ÿ˜†

100. evonne says:

Herb – you mentioned that joke once too often – get a life, get over it. I made a mistake, admitted to it and asked for the comment to be removed. So please stop using it over and over again as a cheap jibe against me.

As for differing opinions, I agree wholeheartedly we are all allowed to have one. Also, this blog and other blogs would not exist if all were of the same opinion.

I like you, reserve my judgement till the transfer window is closed, ie 31st August simply because I refuse to believe that Wenger will not address the widely publicised concerns like inadequate defence. I am convinced he will buy this summer; if he does not, I might change the tune and start eating my Arsenal accessories.

Rasp/Sleeping. I am certainly in the camp that says we HAVE to spend some money.

I have maintained for years the necessity of having a “face”. Cesc was our face. Theo could be but his injuries and lack of impact are not what is wanted.

If we signed a Ronaldo, Messi, Eto’o type player then our team profile rises accordingly. They are worth the money paid to them in the long-term. A few years ago I travelled the world and everywhere I went TH14’s smiling visage accompanied me – in every town, every airport, he was with me. Unfortunately, so were Rooney, Lampard, Terry, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, del Piero etc.

We need a World Class player if we are to keep attracting fans from US, Asia etc who will become increasingly important to the finances of the club.

So AW stop pissing around and sign “super quality”, – damn the budget.

To continue ….. we should sign whoever s African player if the Year, and whoever is Asian player of the year (Ryo is a very important signing for AFC).

We have to have media exposure.

103. evonne says:

SleepingGiant – are you saying that Wenger is the only manager that was has hard time during the transfer window? I cannot think of one, that didn’t mess up at one time or another. Fergie is a genius (in my opinion) so he doesn’t count ๐Ÿ™‚

How do you know Wenger didn’t have replacement in place? Plus, I think he knew Cesc was going, but was optimistic about Nasri, who BTW is still an Arsenal player.

104. Red Arse says:

Hi Oz, TA

That’s the part of Eboue no one can not forget. He simply was an Arsenal man thru and thru. But in a way it highlights the mercenary nature of the club – player relationship.

When the club does not want a player (Eboue) its is “goodnight and thanks – close the door after yourself”.

Therefore how can it be a surprise when a player (Nasri) sees a treasure chest dangled in front of him and decides to say “sayonara big boy – I’m off’?” ๐Ÿ™‚

We fans have no say in what happens in either event. The club won’t listen when we want someone to stay; and the player won’t listen when he wants to go.

But hey, this is nothing new, Arsenal have been around for more that a hundred years and will still be around when we are all dead and gone – moans and all!

105. TotalArsenal says:

BR, the visages are already there, the most obvious being RvP, but Jack, TV and the Pole in Goal have similar potential. Like you, I do like to see us sign ‘super quality’ – as in a recognised, established top player – but for various reasons cannot see that happen at all. Best to hope for is an unearthed super-quality-gem, just before the TW shuts.

106. sleepinggiant says:

Evonne,

I am also convinced he will buy. But I am convinced he will not buy sufficient quality or quantity. This is not a matter of buying one new player – the team that played Udinese was, and this is not their fault, barely a top 6 team. The players are either out of their depth or too inexperienced.

None of us want to spend money for the sake of it but it is a nonsense to say we can plug these gaps without spending some serious cash. Quality costs money, in whatever walk of life.

Wenger says he will buy ‘Super Quality’ and that he will spend 40 million if needs be.

Arsene, mon ami, you would go a long way to winning back a lot of the disheartened support if you stopped playing this stupid game you have with the media and put your (in other words OUR) money where your nouth is.

And do it now.

107. oz gunner says:

@ TA

haha don’t worry i’d have my headphones just incase. As many people on here have stated (kelsey portrays it brilliantly), theres a difference between wanting the best for your team and being frustrated, as opposed to those who slam the team and hope we drop so they can utter the words “i told you so”

I’ll tell you a little story about a wiley old arsenal supporter who used to attend the local sports bar to cheer on the mighty gunners (probably still attends but unsure haven’t been for a while). It was a few seasons ago (our first loss at emirates to West Ham). This old man watched on patiently like always showing little emotion during the game sipping his beer. My mates and i towards the back. Unfortunently there was a bunch of rowdy younger blokes chanting for West Ham (they were all everton supporters except this one who was a ‘ammer from england). They were annoying constantly singing ‘im forever blowing bubbles’ and turning around to any arsenal supporter who showed them attention in an attempt to rowl them up. This west hammer supporter was pissed as a nut and truly a class A wanker. When the hammers hit the front he kept nudging this old man giving him stick. The old man was clearly getting frustrated (more so at the game). When the game finished the west ham supporter got in an argument with another arsenal supporter there and got into a bit of a push and shove only to be pulled apart by mates. Then the old man shouted “fuck off you little prick before someone snot squirts you”, the west ham supporter took offence and got in his face (yeah very tough i know considering the old man was in his early sixties), words were exchanged, a wrestler ensued, where they both fell down a couple of steps. Next thing you know the old man is on top of him raining down punches. He gets up off of him (west ham supporter in a bloody mess) and walks off swearing that we lost, to the sound of everyone clapping in the bar (this ‘ammer was that annoying not even the bouncers came over to lend a hand haha)

108. Red Arse says:

Oz,

You are welcome to the imaginery party too, and bring along any gorgeous young Sheila you like. ๐Ÿ™‚ As long as she is not my cuz!

TA. I forgot JW.

RvP …. sadly no, same for TV but perhaps Chesney will become a media darling – he has the sense of disarming good humour to make it.

Oz,
    Ah good, I should think so too. With regards to RA’s lack of invite, count yourself lucky. Its nothing but bridge, women and drugs.
    BR,
    How about signing an American. Soccerball is going to be massive over there very soon. For fourteen year old’s it is The sport. Certainly in the NJ area, and lets face it, with Stan we have an “in”.

111. California Gooner says:

Great post BR! I was always an Eboue fan and am somewhat regretful that he never realized even a part of his potential. A brilliant passer and excellent dribbler. He had to move on, both for Arsenal and for his own sake. I suspect that he simply wasn’t intelligent enough to get the most out of Wenger. I also think he is a classic ADHD case — apt to loose focus and either switch off or get frustrated and do something stupid. I remember that Mourinho seemed fond of him, although I hate the special needs one, I wonder if that is the kind of coach who might work for him. Anyhow, I hope he is awesome for Galatasary.

I just watched the highlights of the supercup and wonder if anyone is still churlish enough to claim that Cesc will simply be a benchwarmer for Barca. I think we will have to get used to watching highlights of him with his new team for the next several years and strangely, I feel proud for him. If he were a huge success for Arsenal and then couldn’t do it for Barca… that would be shameful. Shameful for us, I mean!

Finally, I totally agree that we need to get another world-class player who can help establish our ‘brand’ around the world. But lacking that (this year) I would be happy for three very good signings — a defender, a creative midfielder, and a striker, of course. I actually agree with SleepingGiant that this feels (potentially) like a disaster. They have left it for late, and unless Real Madrid is having another fire-sale, they will have to pay over the odds for a player the quality of Hazard, since Lille (or another club and another star) will still need time to spend the money…

112. TotalArsenal says:

RA, fully agreed. It does indeed feel that there is not a good balance between a performance culture on the one hand, and a cosy, warm atmosphere – were players feel at home – on the other hand. Having said that, it is the performance on the pitch that counts in the end, and Eboue just did not make it.

113. Herb'sArmy says:

I think you should re-post it, as only a few early-birds saw it before Dandan removed it. Let other Arsenal fans know what you really think.
    You had no reason to mention my name in reference to your discussion, people are capable of reaching their own conclusions, especially those who are fortunate enough to visit our stadium on a regular basis.
    I have no wish to argue, you took the last one way too far, which resulted in GiE completely mis-quoting me, and frankly I’d rather reserve my energy for supporting our fantastic football club.

114. oz gunner says:

haha no promises there RA. I’d have to bring the Mrs ive trained her well in the arsenal arts. She can actually name 15 players now and curses whenever i mention cesc or nasri’s name haha

115. TotalArsenal says:

BR, I am intrigued why you think RvP, our new ‘aanvoerder’, could not be a media darling. His smile, so often on display whilst being interviewed, would disarm a bunch of street robbers, let alone the rest of the nation…

Oz,
    For God’s sake, leave the Mrs at home. RA will drug her as well. The man is out of control.

Blinkin’eck, I thought I’d done with work. Bye.

118. TotalArsenal says:

Oz, another great story ๐Ÿ™‚ Never wind up a Gooner – even Downunder!

119. goonermichael says:

Raddy
    Cesc cant get into the Spanish national team. He’d walk into the England (and most other) national teams. He’s worth more than The money we got. We had a gun pointed at our heads (held by barca and cesc).

120. Red Arse says:

Oz, ๐Ÿ™‚

121. oz gunner says:

@ Micky

dearly noted, although RA isn’t following anyone with his roofie coladas. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me!

122. Roland says:

Sorry this is late! But thanks Big Raddy for rationalising. Yes that’s all I needed! Someone to say it.

123. oz gunner says:

*fooling

I must go richard dawkins beckons. Enjoy the game on the weekend fellow gooners, heres to back to back wins by the mighty gunners!

Offline until sunday and unable to watch the gunners live due to a wedding…OH YAY!

124. Red Arse says:

I simply cannot understand those dipsticks at UEFA. No surprise there I suppose.

AW quite rightly made a comment about that idiot ref Busacca (Now the chief UEFA ref) after the ludicrous sending off of RVP at Barca.

Mourihno, slyly snuck up the back of the Barca coach last night, (ooer) and tried to gouge his eye out. UEFA say it is unlikely he will recieve any punishment for an assault, which if it happened at Tesco would have resulted in his arrest. The reason? The ref did not see it. What about the TV pictures?

Wenger was seen in the stands at the Udinese match, picking his nose (I worried his skull would cave in at one time) apparently giving instructions to Boro Primeric for passing on to Pat Rice. How was he seen? On TV, of course!

Double standard Bastards!

125. California Gooner says:

TotalArsenal— RVP is a total star. He definitely could be the face of Arsenal… a very cool face (in a kind of Steve McQueen way).

126. Red Arse says:

Bye Oz, ๐Ÿ™‚

127. Gooner In Exile says:

Why am I reading that Traore has gone on Twitter?

This really is the clearing the fans were asking for, no way you can replace this many players.

I think the view of Jenkinson at the game/on TV is very different. I didn’t see any major problems, no more than Clichy would have caused

128. TotalArsenal says:

CG, The King of Cool, the leader of the Great Escape from the Gooner 2011 Melancholy. I like it a lot.

Enjoy the wedding Oz!

129. evonne says:

Herb – you are a very bitter and vindictive individual. You keep on pocking me and then you will cry when I retaliate. Don’t push it, becasue I have just had enough of you.

130. Gooner In Exile says:

That’s not his signed up for a Twitter account, but that he has been sold and the news is on twitter

131. Red Arse says:

GIE,

Goonertalk blog, is reporting Traore is going on loan to QPR.

Rubbish in my opinion. He currently has a groin strain so neither sale nor loan is likely. Bin it!

132. TotalArsenal says:

GiE, that seems such an unlikely story?! Do you trust the source??

133. London says:

If Traore has gone then there is no doubt that a new LB is coming in.

134. London says:

I should have waited before I pressed post comment, thinking about it and reading TA and RA’s comments it sounds dodgy.

135. Red Arse says:

Herb/Evonne,

Come on — let bygones be bygones.

Don’t want to appear like playground boyfriend/girlfriend do you? ๐Ÿ™‚

136. evonne says:

SleepingGiant – I have lost my nerve after watching the Udinese game; not only did we look average, there was that big hole in the midfield and not enough attempts at goal.

But the way i see transfers, it is probably more tricky than just buying expensive, experienced players; such approach fails almost as often as buying promising youngsters (almost). There are big names such as Shevchenko, Torres, Joe and many others that were purchased for big bucks and misfired.

Anyway, I hope that AW buys big in the next few days and then we can all enjoy the new season.

137. TotalArsenal says:

Evonne, Herb, from past experiences you must know where you current argument is likely to lead, and neither of you will enjoy it one little bit. By all means continue it; I am not the AA blog administrator of course, but please consider calling it a day, simply for your own well-being.

138. evonne says:

RA – I tried to make peace with Herb, but is not having it. He has actually had a go at others for supporting me during the argument we had months ago! How fecking petty is that??

139. evonne says:

TA – ok, I get me coat, night all

140. TotalArsenal says:

Evonne, don’t leave us – we want you, we need you, we love you ๐Ÿ˜›

141. TotalArsenal says:

Evonne, Herb, I just cannot help myself: it is the HR Professional in me ๐Ÿ™„

142. Herb'sArmy says:

RA/TA,
    I posted a couple of positive posts yesterday, and am making a mental effort to lay off the doom and gloom scenario’s, at least until the transfer window closes.
    I’m ok, and in a decent mood, there’s just no need to mention my name in relation to another blogger writing in with their genuine concerns, especially when at that time I hadn’t posted today.
    People should keep their own counsel and direct their comments towards those they are in discussion with.

143. TotalArsenal says:

Herb, fair enough.

Watching a movie tonight, so see you all again tomorrow.

144. Herb'sArmy says:

Evonne,
    I had a ‘go’ at GiE for mis-quoting me the very same night, but he never did apologise. TA went away on holiday and has only returned in the last few days, which was the first opportunity I had to mention it.

Evening folks, our site currently represents a microcosm of the fragmented Arsenal fanbase.

It is inevitable that our anxieties will be expressed on here and unfortunately equally inevitable that it will lead to friction between bloggers.

We may think we are angry at one another but in fact the root of our angst lies in our concerns over Arsenal – good or bad!

So try to remember that other bloggers are not the enemy and they’re certainly not responsible for whatever it is that is worrying you. It is preferable to view Arsenal Arsenal as a place for consolation rather than conflict.

And if you don’t like it, you can bugger off ๐Ÿ˜†

146. Red Arse says:

Evonne/Herb,

My friend TA and I are only trying to help. Please do not take offense! ๐Ÿ™‚

Falling out is hard work and I would not like you both to get upset again.

Why don’t you both agree not to mention each other’s names or communicate for a while? Everyone does that to me – it must be easy!! ๐Ÿ™‚

Finally, what is particularly unfortunate Herb, is that Evonne made some very supportive comments about your love and knowledge of Arsenal and said how much she enjoyed your comments, before all this blew up.

Give it another go, guys!

Got to go, so see you both nice and bright and breezy tomorrow. ๐Ÿ™‚

147. Red Arse says:

Tru Dat, Rasper. ๐Ÿ™‚

Nite.

148. Irishgunner says:

Nice post BR, Eboue was a character. Could be very irritating at times on the field, but gave as much as he could and as you said, he never hid from his critics.

I’ve just watched the 2nd half of the Udinese game to find out whether there was a “woeful” performance from Jenkinson at left back, because while attending the game I thought he did pretty well.

He made in total 1 mistake that lead to a shot on goal. The rest of his performance was very solid. I think it’s a disgrace that his CL debut can be so casually written off in this way. Just my opinion.

150. Irishgunner says:

New signing, Joel Campbell

151. harry671 says:

@chas, i was at the game in my usual place, which is in the family enclosure. Jenkinson was postionally naive tracked the wrong side of players. His first touch was heavy. Vermaelen covered him consistently.
    Upto now i have liked what I had seen, but he needs time, we cannot rely on him certainly at leftback. If he is to play let’s sagna play other side.

152. goonermichael says:

I thought Jenkinson did well Chas. I think he’ll be a good signing

153. London says:

Evonne

2.45pm best comment of the day.

154. goonermichael says:

Irish
    He’s goming to be sick

155. goonermichael says:

goming = going ๐Ÿ™‚

156. London says:

GM

Why are you goming to be sick?

157. London says:

Slagging Jenko for Tuesday is a bit off, a right back filling in for a left back and we didn’t conceed………..result.

158. London says:

Sorry, ignore that comment

Watch it again, Harry.
    If you still tell me the same, I’ll say we were watching different games.

160. London says:

Herb 7:03

That’s the spirit and bang on about the last bit.

161. goonermichael says:

I think Jenkinson, Miyaichi and Campbell will all be good signings. I already like Gervinho. He should have knocked the filth out though. He would have got the same ban. We need a couple of experienced players though. I hope the team that plays the mancs just try to enjoy themselves and give them a spanking.

162. Irishgunner says:

Why will he be sick? confused.com ๐Ÿ˜†

163. Herb'sArmy says:

Most unexpected London, but thanks for the endorsement.

What about playing a few squad players at MU and telling them to go out and kick two colours out of Nani and Rooney?. Give them a taste of their own medicine.

If we can get our retaliation in first ala Barton, we may escape with yellows and attract an attack which could easily lead to MU players getting reds.

It works when teams play us, so why not try the same tactic.

oh and use the RA flop routine when Nani and Rooney dive!

165. harry says:

@Chas, no point then eh?> you’ve already said, you wont agree, which is fair enough, I was 30yards from him. I like him, he impressed me pre-season and on members day I made a point of concentrating on the new ones, look at the archives, you’ll note I praised him.

Tuesday night sagna came over but Jenks sent him back, confident, but he is a natural right sided player, so we should keep him there…..

He made at least 3 or 4 missed placed passes that I remember without rewatching and got turned easily as he was often the wrong side of the player – bUt hey ho thats my opinion…..Obviously different games lol…

166. neamman says:

A good start for Jenkinson I thought. He must have been nervous dropped into a huge game like that. He was a bit shakey at first but improved. That being said..hes still a back up who needs to watch and learn. I would be shocked if Traore goes unless TV is moving to LB and a CB is on his way. …2 hopefully!!
    I am praying we get at least one big name midfielder to replace Cesc and Nasri.
    As for Nasri I wish him no ill. Who amongst us wouldnt leave for twice the money..assuming we arn`t playing for our home team club. There is no loyalty anymore..and I guess there shouldnt be. If a player loses form he will be shipped out.

167. harry says:

Yeah agreed he was nervous, actually like him and think he will turn out to be a good addition. What I worry about is breaking him before he is ready….

And he is a proper gooner so his nerves would have been mixed with excitement which sends his mind all directions…….

168. Irishgunner says:

Liam Brady’s first club Shamrock Rovers have just given Partizan Belgrade a shock and a half in the Europa League qualifier, 1-1 in the first leg. Great goal as well for Rovers, could have nicked it at the end.

169. harry says:

No ill feeling towards nasri or cesc, just feel they have both let the boss down……..I bet inside he feels so let down, disappointed and a little betrayed….

170. Great comment from Rasp @ 7.18. We set up this blog so that we didn’t kick the cat not so that we could attack each other – whatever the conflict between ourselves it is as Rasp says because of our hopes and fears about our team.

The season is long and it’s only just begun, there will be the usual highs and lows, we should all try to keep a perspective when dealing with other bloggers – none of it is their fault ๐Ÿ™‚

171. Harry – spot on with your comment @9.47. I bet the boss is feeling very let down ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

Top, top post BR.

Agreed, no point at all, Harry. ๐Ÿ™‚

174. harry says:

Well wenger says he’ll spend what ever, even 40million if a super quality player is available, so athletico have just agreed a deal for falcao for 35million..he would have been a stella signing indeed…

175. barumgooner says:

Excellent post Raddy. Sadly he was to become more of a highly paid team mascot than an essential part of the team. I have to admit that for several seasons the only player to look more out of place in the Arsenal colours than EE that i can recall was Caesar and must confess to hating him being picked, not because of him personally but because he came to sum up for me a tolerance within the club to accept mediocrity into the side. That said he has been a loyal servant and indeed in the last couple of years has won me over with his commitment and attitude. Farewell gooner and good luck.

176. SUGA3 says:

evening AAers ๐Ÿ™‚

Eboue is another player ruined by Our Glorious Leader…

I could go onto a rant, but you know what? meh…

177. gunnern5 says:

MickyDidIt89 says:

August 18, 2011 at 2:14 pm

G5,
    โ€œAll they seem to want is the bragging rights that come with a trophy. How bloody shallow is thatโ€.
    MickyDidIt89 says:

……………………………………………………………………………

August 18, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Sorry RA, but G5 is the only one who can answer

…………………………………………………………………………….

Micky; I try to make a habit of not responding to personal attacks but in this case I will make an exception.

You will note that my comment of “How bloody shallow was that” was a general-ism and not directed at a specific individual.

Whereas your comment of ” Who the bloody hell are you referring to” was a specific attack on GunnerN5 – which went unchallenged by the caretakers of the site ethos, who by the way find the word negative to be abusive.

So where do I start?

How about comparing the past 15 (AW) seasons to any other consecutive 15 year period in our history?

1. Most wins
    2. Least losses
    3. Most goals for
    4. Least goals against
    5. Most points
    6. Most trophies

How about-

The best ground in Great Britain
    The best training facilities
    The moat financially stable club (possibly in the world)
    The best youth program (okay maybe that’s a stretch)
    The best style, and most envied, style of football in the EPL

Oh deary me, I almost forgot – no trophies in the past 6 seasons.

So you tell me Micky, why are people complaining?

Well I’ll give you clue.

The answer does not have a silver lining – it has a silver shell!

So the cap has many varied sizes – so the folks that it fits should wear it !

178. Gooner In Exile says:

GunnerN5….not sure that was a personal attack by Micky surely a question for clarification.

I tend to agree with the sentiments tho, there is an element of divine right fans, but I dont think we have that many on here.

I would be interested to know how Wins/Losses stack up in the last 6 seasons against the historical average and against Wengers own stats.

Be the makings of a good MythBuster post that i’d like to read.

As for best Youth Project I believe we are now seeing the fruits of ten years hard work with the likes of Wilshere, Frimpong and Gibbs emerging plus others queueing up for their chance or back out on loan honing their skills.

179. Gooner In Exile says:

Herb I dont bother replying to you in the main as it’s a pointless exercise that irates me. I have neither the time or inclination to go back to the timeline but mention it again and I will, I stand by what I said and I have no intention of apologising. How about you stop the sniping and we can get on with blogging in peace and ignoring each other it certainly works for me.

180. evonne says:

Morning GiE
    The youth project is behind Barca’s success, no doubt about the benefits of it. Also, other clubs in UK are following Wenger’s trend in investing heavily in the youngsters.
    AW will go to the footballing history in this country for this achievement alone.

Still no news on Nasri? Has he been twitting?

181. London says:

Morning all

I was trying to work out what the team will be for Saturday I got to Szcezney and Sagna but couldn’t get any further.

———–Szcezney

Sagna, Harry, Vermaelen, Rasp

–Rosicky,Frimpong,Ramsey

—-Walcott, RvP, Arshavin

Some of you guys are going to have to take your boots.

182. Red Arse says:

He is a twit, Evonne!

Morning to you. It is a beautiful, sunny day here today and all the better to see you up nice and early. ๐Ÿ™‚

183. London says:

I find it incredible that we cannot find out if Nasri has been training at London Colney with the others, this would tell us a lot.

184. Red Arse says:

Just heard on the radio and it’s also in the papers that Chelsea have bought Wossa Matta for ยฃ29m. Damn!

We apparently had him all but signed for ยฃ18m, but missed the deadline to sign him, at that buy out clause figure, to concentrate on the Cesc transfer.

Who knows? There appears to be 3 options;
    1) We decided we did not need him.
    2) Gazidis/Wenger took their collective eye off the ball and blew it.
    3) There really was not any money available until after the Cesc sale.

None of those options are particularly palatable. Damn, again!

185. evonne says:

Morning RA – I went to bed early in a strop, so I was up at dawn ๐Ÿ™‚
    London – cheers, I learned A LOT from you, thank you
    London – Sagna, Harry???, TV, Rasp?? What kind of a line up is that??

186. evonne says:

RA – re Matta, feck, feck, feck

I thought peaches asked last night to put a stop to all this.

The written word can be misunderstood quite often, as for example GIE pulled me up on refereing to jenkinson in the way i did, i replied and I believe that was the end ofit.

You will never site that is perfect and as Rasp and peaches said it takes nothing to be civil to one another.
    Obviously there is understandably a nervousness amongst, i stress supporters as we are hoping that the squad will be bolstered.
    Oz referred to a man in his early sixties yesterday as an old man.Well I and a few others on here are around that age group.he meant no harm and there wasn’t a singlr reaction.
    When I was twenty a guy of thirty was an old man and so on.
    The simple rule is not to get personal with other posters it achieves absolutely nothing.Either have a civil debate as to why you disagree or just ignore the post if you feel it’s aimed at you as a personal attack.

We do all supoort Arsenal.

Now who can second guess the team for tomorrow ?

By the way I entered a raffle and won the new away shirt which was a pleasant surprise.

188. Red Arse says:

London,

Chris (?) an Arsenal fan journalist (they do exist) said that Nasri was not in the squad to face L’Pool, as he understood from his Arsenal sources. (He wouldn’t name names).

You are grasping at straws I fear, if you are hoping to avoid the dreaded hat eating event. He is a goner, not a gooner! ๐Ÿ™‚

189. Gooner In Exile says:

I see Dein is on FF on Saturday sneak preview on BBC web….basically imploring the fans to get behind Wenger, shame must Gooners will miss it as we will be at the Emirates by then.

190. Red Arse says:

Give me back my shirt Kelsey! ๐Ÿ™‚

191. Red Arse says:

GIE,

He said — another sneaky titbit from his interview — that there is a serious chance AW will walk away this Summer! Triple damn!

The only reason AW might walk away this Summer is that after 14 years he will not have the overall control he had and that can only be down to Kroenke .
    Anyway it’s just paper talk.With regards to transfer gossip do you really believe 99% of what the media publishes.
    I do know that we are seriosly trying to buy Scott Dannn, but that does mean we will get him and also I have no idea if he maybe the solution.

193. London says:

RA

You should really add another possibilty to your 7.48 and that is that Valencia didn’t want to sell him for 18 mil prefering to wait for a higher offer.

Mata, is predominantly a winger and of those we have quite a few, at least with the money still in the bank there is more of a possibility to signing a defender.

194. Red Arse says:

Sadly, the day has started with more ruffled feathers because of previous comment by others.

Just remember, on a face to face basis, we all make choices about who to befriend or who to keep our distance from. I have friends whom I instinctively liked, but I could not say why, in some cases.

There are people I would never want to spend anytime with if I could avoid it.

On blogs it is a bit more tricky. We come across all sorts under the general term “Arsenal fans”, many of whom are really nice, decent, interesting people but there are also others who are boors, bores, know it alls, and it can cause an unpleasant clash.

The only solution is to ignore the jibes, not rise to the bait, and simply choose not to engage in chat, even to defend yourself, which only leads to more unsavoury exchanges.

Of course, nice, decent people don’t always agree in which case it is perfectly correct to say so to each other. That’s debate! ๐Ÿ™‚

It is the personal affronts that don’t add anything to your life that should be avoided. The worst culprits are usually the thinnest skinned and it is not possible to have any meaningful discourse.

The above is true in real life, and you will all know it to be a truism.
    Blogs do have their own problems because of the anonymity, so I am not necessarily speaking about anyone on here, in particular.
    It is a generalisation, and is also entirely personal and therefore subjective.
    One man’s/woman’s friend is another’s enemy, and vice versa.

That’s why no one will talk to me now! ๐Ÿ™‚

195. London says:

I fear the same thing happening to Arsenal as happened at Liverpool, the fans got their way and Hodgson was sacked, demands for a familiar face and money spent won the day. Dalglish arrived and promptly spent 80mil…………………………on a load of substandard shite.
    I see the same thing happening at Arsenal, Wenger will walk and someone will come in and spend every penny immediately, regardless of future consequences, the result will be that we will be in a worse position than we are in now.

I think the Mata to AFC story is hogwash. Why would we need to buy yet another winger having just signed Ox, Ryo and especially Gerv?

197. London says:

Kelsey

I don’t agree that your scenario is the only reason Wenger will walk, he could also do so becasue he is fed up with people moaning.

198. London says:

Morning BR

Exactly.

199. Red Arse says:

You have a point, London.

The Valencia President said from the outset they did not want to sell Matta, but were constrained by the ‘buy out’ clause. That clause expired and they said, quite understandably, they now wanted ยฃ30m for him.

I cannot believe — I do not want to believe — that Gazidis/AW did not know this, so I lean to the view they did not want him, after all.

And yes; you are right — if those funds are then used to buy an excellent CB I will be well pleased.
    Scott Dan or Mertesecker are not my idea of ‘excellent’ CBs — sorry Kelsey. (And good morning to you Kelsey. Could be Spain here this morning – although cool at the mo’) ๐Ÿ™‚

Ra
    you echo my sentiments but you write a book as i put it into a few sentences.You are awful, but i still like you ๐Ÿ™‚

London.Do you really believe that AW would walk away from 15 years of passionate devotion without having a major say as to who will succeed him? I have faith that we will get an interim established older manager who will have the personality and experience to walk into AW’s enormous shadow and then someone younger, perhaps Owen Coyle or another manager steeped in Wengerball (DB/PV/Remi Garde).

RA. Well said and a truism ๐Ÿ™‚

London,

It’s just my opinion but when you say moaning do you mean the paying fans or the players,surely not the blogs, or something else.
    I understand the crowd were fairly supportive of the team last tuesday.

203. London says:

I fear the criticism of Wenger will grow until it is shows itself in the stands and from there it will only be a question of time before he leaves. Within this scenario I do not expect him to have anything to do with his successor.

G5,
    You know damn well your comment was not a “general-ism” which could and should have been directed in a civil way at your intended target.
    This morning you asked me a question, then you gave me my own answer. Well, I for one, cannot be spoken for. Trophy hunter? You have the wrong person.

Let us hope your fears do not become reality.

IMO there is no way AW would walk away from what he sees as his duty to the club. He has stated on many occasions that he will leave when HE believes he cannot take the club any further. and perhaps (I expect) this could be the season.

But ….. I repeat my 8.25.

Micky. Read the many conciliatory comments above. .

Any suggestions for minced beef apart from Spag bol and burgers? Mrs. Raddy has ordered me to use it …..

207. harry says:

London,

My boots are packed, thanks for selecting me, surprised, i have had a slow pre-season and am a bit rusty but i’ll give my all for the shirt……Not sure its that bad yet?

Anyway my line up:

Szczesny

Sagna Djourou Kozzer TV

Frimpong Ramsey

Arshavin Van persie Ryo

Walcott

Subs: AOC, Fabianski, Jenkinson, Lansbury, Afobe, Chamakh, Aneke!!

I would love to see Chuks Aneke get a cameo appearance, he is an immense and powerful midfielder with an eye for goal……..

208. harry says:

Raddy, I dont think that Wenger would walk away, but the pressure that can be exerted by the fans might cause him to re-evaluate that stance.

when the fans challenged him a couple of seasons ago, he really wasnt impressed. I hope he stays and finishes what he has started…

Anyway more importantly, mince beef avaialble, go for Cajun Beef and Rice, with peppers / onions, its one of my favourites….

209. London says:

Morning Harry

That’s interesting, I have never seen Chuks plays (youv’e gotta love that name) I didn’t realise he was a midfielder, is he a Wilshere or a Ramsey, the former defends well, the latter is more attack minded?

210. harry says:

London,

I have only seen Chuks in a few games (on Arsenal Tv) and some clips, but read lots of reserve reports etc. He is rated very highly, but so was JET, but chuks has a good attitude…….

He is playmaker attacking midfielder, but he is very strong and dominant…he scores alot for a midfielder, he accredited with assisting a lot of afobes goals…..I must admit I thought he’d go loan this season to gain the experience…….

Former Arsenal vice-chairman David Dein has told BBC Sport that Arsenal fans must give manager Arsene Wenger the respect he deserves or risk losing him.

The manager has come under increasing criticism from supporters after six seasons without a trophy and the departure of Cesc Fabregas.

When asked if Wenger could leave, Dein said: “That’s always an option open to him because it could come to a stage when he will say, ‘Well, I have had enough.’

“At least that’s how I feel and I feel the fans should feel that. They should at least give him the respect that he deserves for what he’s done.”
    Continue reading the main story

David Dein

Dein, the driving force behind Wenger’s appointment in 1996, told BBC Sport: “People talk about ‘Has his time finished at the club?’

“That’s a very dangerous thing to say because it’s easy to get rid of people and then what? People talk about buying players. Well, you’ve got to get players who are better than the ones you’ve got at the moment.”

Dein, who left Arsenal in 2007, is still good friends with Wenger, but did say that he sympathises with Arsenal’s fans.

“I can understand their worry because the expectation level today is so high and Arsene has brought such success to the club,” said Dein.
    DAVID DEIN
    Continue reading the main story

* Born: 7 September 1943
    * Early career: Sugar trading
    * 1983: Becomes Arsenal vice-chairman after buying 16.6% share of club for ยฃ292,000
    * Early 90s: Takes Arsenal stake to 42%, plays key role in forming Premier League
    * 1996: Brings in Arsene Wenger as Gunners boss
    * 2000: Named FA vice-chairman
    * 2006: Appointed chairman of G14
    * 2007: Leaves Arsenal after “irreconcilable differences” with board. Signings included Wright, Bergkamp, Vieira, Henry, Pires, Campbell, Fabregas, Van Persie
    * 2007: Sells shares for ยฃ75m to Red & White Holdings (Alisher Usmanov)
    * 2008: Resigns as chairman of Red & White
    * 2010: Becomes international president of England’s 2018 World Cup bid

“In 15 years that he’s been there every year we’ve been in the Champions League. So you can understand, perhaps, fans feeling a little bit frustrated that they haven’t seen a trophy for a few years.

“Under Arsene Wenger’s stewardship, they’ve had good times and very good times and there’s no reason to expect why we shouldn’t see them again.”

The departure of Fabregas, and possibly Sami Nasri in the days to come, has left Wenger under pressure and Dein believes the Frenchman is enduring the toughest period of his 15 years with Arsenal.

“Undoubtedly, on several counts,” said Dein.

“One, the game’s got more competitive. Players are not as loyal as they used to be. Gone are the days where we’ll see testimonials where players will stay at a club for 10 years – you know, with Tony Adams, Martin Keown, Lee Dixon, Ray Parlour, Dennis Bergkamp.

“You’re not going to see that any more because players will be tempted to move and that is modern football. In a way, the players moving on is always a problem for a manager.

“And last season was particularly difficult because they were nearly there. At one stage, a few months before the end of the season, competing on four fronts and in the end coming away trophyless is difficult, perhaps, to accept.”

Despite the current difficulties, Dein insists that the man he brought to English football retains a burning desire to win more trophies with Arsenal.

“Obviously I know him very well, he’s a neighbour of mine,” said Dein. “I’ve never seen a man in football more focused, more determined, with more drive than him.”

Watch the full interview with David Dein on Football Focus at 1215 BST on Saturday, 20 August

212. London says:

Wooooooo, that sounds good Harry.

213. Red Arse says:

Kelsey, re 8:24 ๐Ÿ™‚

Morning all,

I’m sorry but I see the scaremongering that takes place suggesting that if supporters express their well founded fears they may drive the manager away is emotional censorship. The man earns millions of pounds a year and is under contract, he is a big boy and the buck stops with him. None of the Arsenal employees from Gazidis down to the 2nd choice reserve goalkeeper should expect to be free from appraisal.

All of the ‘big names’ on here – London and Raddy included have said that they would love Arsenal to sign a couple of big players before the transfer window closes – that is not being disloyal, but urging the management (not just Wenger) to make some positive moves.

215. Red Lobster says:

Where’s that man Micky gone?

Is it safe for me and my pals to play in the rock pools, and frolic with the lovely lady langoustines, without a masked, spear carrying bandit trying to turn us into a bisque?

Rasp,
    ah so you want a fight first thing in the morning.How dare you call Raddy and London the big names on here.That is favoritism and I and others may take you to a blog tribunal.

217. Red Lobster says:

Steady on Rasper.

There is a world of difference between those questioning the apparent lack of a big player signing, or expressing their well founded fears on a number of issues, and the type of vitriolic, vulgar fulminations that have been splashed across the airwaves, the blogs and the newspapers for weeks and from some quarters for months.

He is an intelligent, civilized man and would understand and welcome the former as a normal part of any ‘public’ job, but the latter, I suspect, would wear at him like acid.

Funny you should say that Lobster,
    Thing is, I have decided to forfeit going to the Pool game. The weather is perfect for today and tomorrow, so I have promised children I will take them with their new birthday presents (surf boards) beachside. Naturally I will be taking my own “tools”.
    Trying to plough through work so that we can set off in an hour or so.
    Raddy,
    Balls.

Morning kelsey :P, obviously you are on top of the list of revered blogmeisters.

I could have put your name, Harry, peaches, micky, Rocky etc etc – basically all of us. We have to differentiate between malicious criticism and the expression of well founded concerns.

I think the difference is that in some cases a blogger may have an axe to grind as is just taking scenrios out of context to reinforce a long held belief. I prefer just to judge every aspect on its merits and not link it irrationally to another topic.

220. London says:

Every fan wants the best squad the club can possibly have, it is right and proper for fans to want to see new signings.

My stance often points out the difficulties that prevent that from happening as much as we all would like.

Morning Rasp

You seem chipper and bushy tailed today.

Rasp,
    You say two big players. I would be more than happy with one big ‘un and one little ‘un.

222. Red Lobster says:

Kelsey,

It is all part of the GN5/Rasp dynamic designed to categorize some of us as …………… “The Un-named”! ๐Ÿ™‚ wear it as a Badge of Honor!

Umm, hold on — GN5 named YOU as a goodie two shoes yesterday. I’m sorry, I will have to ask you for your badge back!! ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

Red Lobster, I am talking specifically about what happens on this blog, we do not tolerate ‘vitriolic, vulgar fulminations’ and yet some attack the folks on AA for expressing their views rationally and without malice.

OK Micky, and I respect your opinion and do not think you are driving AW out of his job by saying that ….. that was the point I was making. I’d settle for one bigun – truth be told.

Morning London, thanks for putting me at LB – I’ll take it ๐Ÿ™‚

Rasp,
    I’m with you all the way.

I’d love to carry this on, but oops …

…. New Post ………

228. Red Lobster says:

Micky,

I envy you. You seem to have something of an idyllic lifestyle, and to have certainly got the family/work/Arsenal balance spot on.

Just leave us lobsterinos alone — OK? ๐Ÿ™‚

Kelsey “included”.

Quick browse through the papers and it appears there are only 3 potential CB targets (in the view of the journo’s) – Cahill, Jagielka and Dann. Bearing in mind that Kos and TV are becoming a safe and complimentary unit I cannot see either Jagielka or Cahill joining to sit on the bench. JD has many critics but I think he is a fine back.up, so Dann seems the most likely.

Kos has his critics as well but it should be recalled he has only had one season to bed in.

230. football says:

He’s not desperately trying to look like a big shot. ‘The teams,
    the broadcast contract and our showcase games this year are going to
    generate tremendous excitement about this League and the great seasons to
    come. So besides the fact that both sports are being played with 11 players on the field, the similarity ends
    here.