In the end, we can say that we did not deserve more than a draw given the fact that Palace dominated the game from the moment we took the lead through Auba’s goal until the 70th minute…We even basically rescued 1 point thanks a late stoppage time goal, courtesy of Lacazette…
The performance was disappointing on many levels:
- Why did we go to sleep after scoring the goal? We were really good in the first 15 minutes.
- How can we concede soft goals like this?
- Partey was having a stinker yesterday but Odegaard was even worse. Why is Arteta insisting in playing them as a double pivot? Where is El Neny? What about AMN? Or why not play Lokonga from the on-set…Odegaard can not pay as an 8. He is limited to play as a 10. That is a fact.
- Is Tierney low on confidence going forward?
- Tomyasu, Lokonga and Gabriel also were off their usual selves yesterday
- What happened to Pepe after he created the first goal? Started brightly, fell asleep with the team and then woke up again when Laca came on.
- Arteta’s changes were rather positive but does he tell the squad to sit back after scoring the first goal?
On the other hand, I felt like Palace was a team that was playing rather well with Edouard and Callagher in particular form. Vieira is definitely creating a strong team with a decent game plan. I hope they stay up and have a good run in Cups.
Ramsdale – 5
Tomy – 5
White – 5.5
Gabs – 5
Tierney – 5
Partey – 4
Ode – 3
Pepe – 5
ESR – 6
Saka – N/A (Lokonga – 4)
Auba – 5.5
Laca – 6.5
Arteta – 4
Definitely an opportunity lost to land 3 points at home but given the way the way the game panned out, we re lucky to get a point out.
Now regarding the referee, the second CP goal could have been cancelled since there is indeed a small foul on Lokonga but the most importantly, CP should have played with 10 men after McCarthur senseless kick on Saka’s leg. What were the Refs and VAR doing?
Anyways, I think that Laca reminded us on why he is such an important piece of our system.
Ramsdale – Tomy, White, Gabs, Tierney – Partey, AMN? – Saka, ESR, Auba – Laca