Never Bring a Knife to a Gunfight: Arsenal v Sheffield Utd Report & Ratings

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is intro-1582296415.jpg
Sheffield’s foolhardy charge into the Arsenal artillery

In Tennyson’s stirring poem ‘The Charge of the Light Brigade’ six hundred British cavalrymen charge the Turkish lines with their sabres drawn.

There’s just one problem, the Turks have cannons.

As Tennsyon puts it:

Cannon to right of them,

Cannon to left of them,

Cannon in front of them

Volleyed and thundered;

Stormed at with shot and shell,

Boldly they rode and well,

Into the jaws of Death,

Into the mouth of hell

Rode the six hundred.

Yesterday the Blades of Sheffield United showed some steel against the Gunners of Arsenal, but in the end they were no match for a few volleys of grape and roundshot.

Obviously I am not comparing the Crimean War with the Premier League (the Premier League is much more important), but you know how I like a military analogy.

The Sheffielders earned much respect last season. They were in the top six for long spells and ended up finishing only one place and two points behind your favourite boys in red and white. Home and away we managed only one point against them.

So, despite a poor start to this campaign, it was obvious they were going to be no pushover.

Action Man made changes both from the team that knocked Liverpool out of the Reindeer Cup and from the one that faced them in the league last Monday.

Luiz was recalled to central defence alongside Gabriel, with Bellerin and Tierney as fullbacks. Elneny (in ahead of Xhaka) and Ceballos took the central midfield positions, Saka wide mid and a front three of Willian, Nketieh and Aubameyang.

The first half was tight with very few chances. The best ones were created by Arsenal (an Aubameyang ball into the box for Nketieh that the young striker couldn’t control, some decent moves down the left flank with no end product, an Auba shot tipped over by Sheffield’s ‘keeper).

United’s best chance came early on when a daydreaming Luiz was slow to react to a pass across the back from Gabriel. Some Sheffield Burke closed him down and won the ball and was bearing down on goal only for Leno – showing brilliant anticipation – to save the Brazilian’s bacon.

Luiz, as is his wont, compounded his initial error by tugging his opponent’s shirt. For some reason VAR chose to ignore the tug, but eight out of 10 times that would have been a red card for Luiz. I’ll always love him for his heroics in our run to lift the FA Cup, but you can never feel fully secure when he’s at the back.

Arsenal dominated possession in the first half and created whatever chances were going, so naturally the rubbish commentary team on Sky concluded that Sheffield had had the better of it.

The second half started with Sheffield having more possession and occasionally threatening us so, after 10 minutes, El Patron made his first change, Nketieh coming off for Pepe. The Ivorian had an immediate impact, troubling Sheffield with his direct running and quick passing.

The breakthrough came in the 61st minute when a fast-passing move involving Willian, Pepe and Elneny ended with Bellerin floating a perfect cross over the six yard box for Saka to head in with precision. I had never thought about Saka’s heading ability before, but if that goal is anything to go by it’s yet another string to his very impressive bow.

Three minutes later the continually dangerous Pepe cut in from the right wing and fired a deliciously placed low shot into the far corner for two-nil.

For the next 20 minutes we controlled things like a boss, passing the ball around the back and barely giving the Sheffield players a touch. However, I did start to worry we were getting a bit too cavalier (and we’ve already seen what happens to cavalrymen, haven’t we?). We started pushing for a third and I noticed some of our players becoming more lackadaisical about hurrying back when our moves broke down.

We paid the price on 84 minutes when Eddie McGoldrick, who’s not looking anything like his 55 years, cut in from Sheffield’s right side and curled a shot just inside of Leno’s right post, giving the German no chance.

The final six minutes (plus four added) were a bit nervy, with plenty of Sheffield balls into our box. The defence stood up well and when the whistle blew you’d have to be an idiot (or a Sky pundit) to deny that we deserved all three points.

In a weekend of strange and surprising results this could prove to be an important win for the Arsenal.

Player Ratings

Leno                            7

Aside from one questionable decision to punch in his six yard box when catching might have been better, Leno was good, albeit with little to do. His most significant moment was early on, coming way off his line to spare Luiz’s blushes.

Bellerin                       7.5

Hector has been good in recent outings and had two assists today. If he’s getting back to his best it could have a big bearing on our season.

Gabriel                        7.5

Very good outing. Looks like a quality player.

Luiz                              6.5

He had a wobbly first 15 minutes (and was lucky not to be red carded) but improved steadily thereafter and made some good defensive contributions including one diving headed clearance in our penalty area.

Tierney                        7

Defensively sound and got some good balls into the box without finding anyone on the end of them.

Elneny                         7.5

I’m one of those odd people who has always quite liked the Ninny. Mostly I like his economy on the ball – he seldom loses possession. The down side is that he doesn’t make too many progressive passes, but today his late run into the box and first time pass helped lead to our first goal.

Ceballos                      8 MoTM

A very good performance from Dani – kept everything moving in midfield, showed great composure when under pressure, defended well and pushed us forward when necessary.

Saka                            7.5

Took his goal really well and was industrious all game long. So much quality for one so young.

Willian                        6.5

A few good moments and definitely looked better when Nketieh went off and he moved a bit more central, but I think we can expect more from him.

Nketieh                       6.5

Had one good chance early on but couldn’t control an over-the-top ball from Aubameyang. Apart from that he had few opportunities to make an impact but put in a hard-working shift.

Aubameyang              7

Came close with an excellent shot and was a constant threat down our left side. His mere presence means other players get more space in the final third because defenders are so nervous about what he can do.

Subs

Pepe                            8

Came on and changed the game. Terrific goal which turned out to be our winner. Even did some good defending late on.

Xhaka                          7

Steady enough.

Maitland-Niles           6

One fumbled attempt at a chest-down in the box almost cost us, but he was OK.

RockyLives

75 Responses to Never Bring a Knife to a Gunfight: Arsenal v Sheffield Utd Report & Ratings

1. Pete the Thirst says:

Saka the main man again. Forget about signing Jorginho and give this lad more playing time.

btw Rocky the Light Brigade charged against the Russians. The Turks were on the same side as the British & French at that point in time.

Beautifully written with your usual light touch, thank you, Rocky.

The Thirsty Pete (give that poor man a drink for goodness sake) has it correct that the Ruskies were on their own against the Ottoman Empire and the Brits.

Actually, Rock, forgive me, I did not see too many cavalier cavalry charges by either side yesterday, altho I agree with you that we had it all sewn up, except for short spells induced by over-confidence, I presume.

I agree with most of your player ratings, and those I do not, are not worth mentioning as I have oft repeated my dissatisfaction with them.

Provided Saka does not have his potentially wonderful career ruined by injuries a la Jack Wilshire, I think he will eventually make Ozil’s position his own.

How is the development of your palatial new home going? If you need an addition to a reliable security system, then Mesut would recommend Kola as a brave and loyal beefcake to keep unwanted visitors at bay. 😁

3. fatgingergooner says:

Geundouzi and Torreira on their way so do we expect a CM player or are we relying on Ceballos, Xhaka, Elneny, AMN, Saka, Willock for the season?

I’d really like to think we will see a box to box type come in because I’m not convinced we have enough for a tough season.

4. LBG says:

A classic! Not the game, the Rocky post!
    All praise the Master.
    Almost impossible to disagree with a single word, Rocky, but, being an awkward bugger, want to add two small points.
    Elneny has several, more important skills than the man he replaced beginning with X. Everything he does is with greater speed, urgency. He turns both ways on the ball and perhaps has a slightly superior first touch under pressure, and lastly his defensive positional sense is much superior.

Want also to praise Maitland-Niles for throwing himself in front of that very last shot from the Blades.

And lastly, anybody any views on the, my assessment, “red” card challenge on Aubang, and, IMO, the “red” card forearm smash into Elneny’s throat from the guy who scored their goal.

And lastly, lastly, thank god for ex footballers saying for once Shaw should have seen a massive RED card for his assault on a football pitch.

5. fatgingergooner says:

LBG,

Xhaka was sent off for something similar a few years ago against Swansea and I remember thinking it was harsh. Difference was though that Xhaka committed the foul in their half whereas Shaw was 30 yards from goal and they were clean through.

6. LBG says:

FGG
    Out in society, on the street, one could easily imagine the chopped down hitting his head or other damage to bones. The charge could also easily be actual bodily harm. Why can you get away with it on a football field?

7. LBG says:

Recommend the extracts from AW’s new book (out October) currently being reproduced in The Times. Seems to be everything he promised – the truth behind the outward show.

A joy to read Rocky, thank you. My favourite was the “Reindeer Cup” seems so obvious now but I hadn’t thought of it. Superb.

LBG,

I agree re: your opinions on Xhocker, and more specifically El Ninho.

I do not know why the latter was sent out on loan by Emery as he was always game to cover the pitch and get stuck in. Never know now.

Re: your question on red cards — in some ways we can possibly agree as a group that what was/is the correct punishment for the various incidents.

I read or heard (cannot remember which) that as usual the refs can apply subjective interpretations in a way that makes consistency impossible.

The foul against Auba was dismissed as an unintentional outcome of a ‘genuine’ attempt to get the ball. so a flying two footed tackle that breaks a leg would not get a red card if the ref thought it was a genuine …. blah, blah.

Others disagree with that bollix, as the Auba case would fail on the grounds of reckless and dangerous play — but it all rests on what a referee decides.

That one should have been a red — like the vicious elbow into Tierney’s neck by Mané in the Pool game.

I rest your case M’Lud. 😁

10. fatgingergooner says:

Looks like the Partey deal is on. Makes sense really. He has a release clause so they can’t reject the offer as long as we meet the price and we’ve been offloading players to generate the wages and squad space (Torreira and Geundouzi…maybe others to follow). The fact Torreira is going to Atletico is obviously them making sure they don’t have a Partey sized hole in their squad when he joins us. I imagine the player side of it is almost done and we just need to sort paperwork.

#ParteyParty

11. LBG says:

RA
    Very clearly stated….mud!
    Please make the Partey story be true.
    (Athletico need apparently to get rid of Partey + in order to meet the Spanish rules on total wages. Says much about Torreira’s wages with us!)
    Partey will be, in the immediate future, the better bet to bring real success ( Champions League) for the next two seasons. Mind you, the way the top teams are defending at present and given our defensive purchases, perhaps we are destined to become the Athletico Madrid, without Simeone and with Aubang, Saka, Eddie, Pepe, Martinelli and Uncle Tom Cobbley and all, and……..

12. RC78 says:

French news outlets report that
    – Arsenal has informed Atletico that they will pay the release clause for Partey estimated at 50 Mln EUR;
    – Guendouzi will join Hertha Berlin on loan;
    – Torreira will join Atletico on loan;
    – Mustafi wanted by Lazio;
    – Sokratis also followed in Spain and Germany;
    – Kolasinac to Germany;
    – Saliba to Marseille or Rennes on loan.

If Partey joins, I wonder if Arteta continues with his 343 or swaps to a 433/4231…Given the fact that Luiz is in the team, I ll always favour at back 3…but if Luiz is not playing, then a back 4 is a good option 🙂

Leno – Luiz, Gabriel, Tierney – Bellerin, PARTEY, Ceba, Saka – Willian, Laca, Auba

Runnarsson – Soares, Holding, Mari, AMN – Willock, El Neny, Xhaka – Pepe, Nketiah, Nelsson (or Martinelli when Martinelli comes back)

13. RC78 says:

Thanks for the post-match report by the way 🙂 Very well crafted

14. LBG says:

Merson says
    “The way the “top” teams acquiesced ( he obviously didnt use that word!!) over the weekend, the Premier title is up for grabs. Totteringham could do it. They wont be worried about Arsenal, no”!”

Well Merse we will see! Well worked out that there are another 35 games to go, by the way!!

15. fatgingergooner says:

If we get Partey done then I’ll be very impressed. The Auba contract is a huge boost but he’s 31 and Arteta knows he needs to get the best out of the team whilst he’s still around. We haven’t brought kids in or development players, we have looked at players who can make an immediate difference. Ceballos has had a year and knows the league now, Willian is experienced, Partey has been in the CL in a very good side for years, Gabriel already looks the part, Soares has been in the PL a while and Mari has been at City before and has experience. These are signings that can help us right now and given our restrictions I don’t think we could’ve done much better. I felt last window was decent and this is another step in the right direction. A team with Partey and Gabriel suddenly looks a bit more solid and powerful and is capable of getting around the field. It’s been years since we had a decent engine room that could cover for defensive lapses and allow our creative players the freedom to play. Maybe this could be what we were missing.

I used to get annoyed with Merson but have realised that it is like getting annoyed with a 10 year old for saying something that he clearly doesn’t understand.

17. LBG says:

LB
    Agree, but unfair to 10 year olds!!

18. Aaron says:

Rocky,
    That is on of my favorite posts with a literary reference ever.

Yet, I feel this season is going to be more of the 300 film type, a fictionalized retelling of the Battle of Thermopylae within the Persian Wars.

Will be impressed if we get Partey over the line, but AFC still needs a creator as our xG stats and chance creation are abysmal.

Maybe someone at the club figures out a way to lighten walmarT’s online ledgers then we might have some investment from the owners in an indirect way and Edu can lure away Auoar for the right price.

Still smiling from the Champions worst beat down ever, from club that stayed up on the last day. This one is forever.

And, spuds smashing manure who need to spend more to get the club in the top half of the table.

This is going to be a good week!

Hi Aaron,

When I was a kid I rooted for the Spartans for their bravery at the Battle of Thermopylae, not that I really knew much about the politics or geography of Greece or Persia at the time.

But when I read that, by law, they left disabled children (babies) to die because they would weaken the state, I changed my mind.

The Charge of the Light Brigade in Crimea, and Custers Last Stand at the battle of the Little Big Horn in Montana superseded the Spartans, despite their courage.

Hopefully, the inestimable Rocky can wangle a Post referring to the Battle of The Little Big Horn — the Plains Indians v the US Army.

Have you noticed that there is quite a lot of dying by the losers in each of these battles — there has to be a better way.

Where the heck is Sue.

I rely on her for all the best rumours and non-Fake Transfer News.

Douzy has gone on a season long loan to Hertha Berlin. I hope that does not lead into a commitment to buy.

I still do not know what the deal was that led to Arteta, who is usually very benign losing his cool with the curly one.

Personally I rate Douzy. He has skill, a good physique, a good engine and can be feisty — and as Arsenal are often too ‘nice’ we can do with a bit of feisty.

Douzi will be back next season and who knows he may have taken a big step forward.

22. Le Coq Monster says:

Quality Rocky.

Even more amazing than that Eddie McGoldrick looks amazing for a 55 year old is that he has turned into a black man!

23. Sue says:

Hello RA.. OMG, Fabrizio Romano is reporting that Partey is now flying to London!!! I’m soooo excited about this one!. All bleedin’ summer and they keep us dangling till the very last day!!! 🙏
    I hope all works out for Guendouzi, have to say I will miss him! Let’s hope with a lot of game time and some coaching, he’ll come back to us an even better player! The potential there is huge (yes, nearly as huge as you, RA 😂)

Super win yesterday! Loving this season, all these crazy scorelines, some top players coming in.. can’t wait to see Cavani, just gutted he’s gone to the Mancs!!
    Well, let’s hope we get Partey over the line and we can all err….partey! Or twerk!! 😂
    Nice one, Rocky…

24. Sue says:

There’s a GoFundMe page for RA.. oops I mean Gunnersaurus 😜

Hi ya, Sue,

See, no rubbish stuff, just aspirations for both a possible incoming and outgoing too.

Sue, I do not know how you found out, but I have been naughty with too many Big Macs, Take Away Kebabs, Chinese etc, etc and my weight has gone up to 19 stone.

Oh well – c’est la vie.

26. Sue says:

German and Italian windows shut now… Kolasinac and Sokratis staying then….

Oh RA, I wasn’t being mean, I meant your height……or did I??!! 😂😂😂

Hi Le Coq, 😉

I am pleased you liked Rocky’s Post — I have taught him everything he knows about — well everything really — and I pinched your designs for the Love Shack from Terrry, and his new Palace is benefitting hugely from that — but don’t tell him I wrote that. 🤪

Great match report thank you Rocky. I am a little surprised that Luiz is favoured over other CBs because surely the experience he offers should manifest itself in good decision making and few mistakes … yet, as you point out, he has a habit of dropping a clanger.

The match itself was great in as much as we won, we were patient, and at times we clicked and the passing play was mesmerising. Two great goals and the passing out from the back was pretty good once again. Unlike pool, manu and Leicester we probably could do without the international break, we need to continue the momentum I feel.

I’m getting excited that we could have a Partey by 10 o clock. Everything I read aboiut him suggests he is just what we need to bolster the midfield.

Sue,

I needed the extra ballast, otherwise I would look too skinny. 🙄 (My brother is taller than me, and weighs 21 stone – how about that?) 😁

It seems that Mikel is trying really hard to get the other Party to sign — it’s easy — he just has to get Kroenke to pay the £45m fee.

If Kola and Passthepolos are staying, maybe Arsenal do not have enough cash to buy another new midfielder. 😩

Speaking of Chinese ——- I need to eat —— see you later just to confirm nothing has happened.

Hiya, Rasper, 😁

It’s really nice to see you — I thought you might have retired from blogging to concentrate on the Times crosswords — which I still struggle with. 🧐

Hi Redders, thanks, I’ve been dealing with a few things that kept me away from AA. I hope to be able to contribute more in the future.

Have we signed Partey yet??

Evening all.

What can I have been thinking, mistaking Russians for Turks? Thank you for the correction Pete.

I so hope the Partey deal is confirmed. Everything I have seen and heard about him indicates he’s exactly what we need.

Come on Arsenal, confirm the darn news!

Guendouzi on loan… hopefully it will help him grow up a bit.

Funny there’s no mention of Ozil at all. I guess he’s going to jog around at training for a year while drawing his massive salary and never kicking a ball in anger. Sad.

35. LBG says:

Done! PARTEY, PARTEY, PARTEY.

36. LBG says:

Rocky
    Football London reporting Mesut has changed his mind re leaving before end of contract. Perhaps at Christmas !

Where does it say that LBG? Not on the club website yet.

I see poor old Jack Wilshere has been released by West Ham. What a sad situation for a player who should have been an Arsenal and England captain.

Too many bad injuries, some of them malicious with no protection from the officials, have done for him.

LBG
    You’d think Ozil would want to go an play somewhere else, wouldn’t you?

Maybe he still harbours hopes of getting back into the Arsenal first team?

I agree about Jack Wilshere Rocky. Watching Grealish yesterday made me think of how good Jack could had been if his body didn’t keep letting him down.

All I can find are reports that we’ve triggered Partey’s release clause … does that mean we’ve definitely signed him?

Nothing on the club website yet Rasp.

42. LBG says:

At the weekend it was suggested personal terms had been agreed with Partey and agent and an initial medical had been done in Spain.
    I hope that triggering the release clause makes it on……but suppose until it flashes up from Arsenal perhaps I’ve, in premature ecstasy, jumped the gun.
    Harry says Totteringham are going to win the League.

A “Willock to QPR” headline jolted me out of my armchair…

But it’s Joe’s brother Chris (who was at Benfica).

“Harry says Totteringham are going to win the League.”

😀 😀 😀

I love it when the Spuds go full hyperbole after one good result.

45. fatgingergooner says:

A Bale/Kane/Son front three could certainly be good enough to win a league, but not sure the rest of the team is strong enough

46. Sue says:

Lucas Torreira to Atlético Madrid, here we go! Paperworks just signed between the two clubs after medicals completed days ago. He joins Atléti from Arsenal on loan, as #AFC sign Thomas. ⚪️🔴 #DeadlineDay [Fabrizio Romano]

You’ve gotta fight for your right to Partey 😆👍

47. oz gunner says:

Cheers Rocky! Great read as always.

Keeping Kola, Mustafi, and Sokratis on the books highlights just how much damage this lockdown has been to the finances at Arsenal and teams all over the world. More loans than you can poke a stick at. If anything it has brought a touch of reality to some teams. I hate agreeing with Redknapp but he is right regarding Loftus-Cheek – he’s on $150k a week as a fringe player. If Chelsea wants him off the books they might have to pay half his wages. The same goes for our fringe players. Moving forward teams might think twice about throwing ridiculous salaries at players to get them to sign.

I’m over the moon that we will be paying Ozil 350k a week to do absolutely nothing for an entire year again. How anyone can still defend him is beyond me or worse…believe he’s actually trying to get into the first team…All he’s doing is protecting the Ozil brand and so he’ll get his manager to say he’s fit and wants to play and then Ozil will tweet after a few wins.

Partey signing! I can’t believe it. An enforcer. We haven’t had one since Coquelin. Hopefully, this frees up Ceballos a little more because we desperately need something more through the middle as we are a touch predictable with our wing attack at times. He has the Spaniard eye of being able to thread passes with relative ease.

48. oz gunner says:

I wonder if we’d sign Jack the Lad if Arsene was still at the helm 🙂

He did it with Sol, Lehmann, Henry, and flamini…

Yeah, he def would.

Oz
    Surely Jack’s injuries would rule him out. He’s seldom fit and never managed to hold down a place at Wham.

50. oz gunner says:

@ Rocky,

It was more tongue in cheek that Arsene liked to sign up past players despite their age or fitness.

Sol was playing for league two side notts county just prior to signing.

Lehmann returned from retirement (albeit out of necessity).

Flamini missed an entire year with Milan through injury, became a fringe player and then re-signed with Arsenal again.

He signed a 35 year old Henry from New York Red Bulls on loan.

After reading that tell me Arsene wouldn’t sign Jack up for pennies on the dollar and use him for cup matches? He’s an optimist and loved a feel-good story when it came to past players.

Ha – fair point Oz 🙂

52. oz gunner says:

No wonder why we told PSG to suck a lemon. They wanted Arsenal to terminate Sokratis contract so they could sign him for free.

53. RC78 says:

Arsenal get 18 year old Dutch Rekik for 900 000 EUR from Hertha Berlin. He will be part of the Under-23 squad.

I thought by now, if we had managed to have a Partey, all would be signed up.

‘Arry says ‘Arsenal would have egg on face if we do not finalise the deal with Atletico’ – so another good reason to push the transfer to completion I guess.

In fairness he also said Partey is a good player.

55. oz gunner says:

We will be sorted if we need to play for a draw to progress through group stages or win the league…

Leno
    Chambers – Holding – Luiz – Mustafi
    Sokratis – Saliba – Gabriel – Kolasinac
    Mari – Tierney

MOAR DEFENDERS!!!!

Bellerin, Soares, and Maitland-Niles to come on as subs.

In addition to signing Omar Rekik we have apparently also signed another young guy.

“Arsenal have reportedly completed a deal worth £430,000 to land highly-rated 18-year-old striker Nikolaj Duus Moller from Malmo FF.

Swedish publication Aftonbladet claim that Arsenal have secured their first signing of the business end of the summer transfer window. The Gunners have lapped up the opportunity to sign Malmo FF teenage striker Nikolaj Duus Moller.

The deal is set to be worth around £430,000, with Moller signing a four-year contract along with a one-year extension option at the behest of the club.

Nikolaj Duus Moller is one of the best Swedish attacking talents in his age group and revered by the coaches at Malmo FF. The striker joined the Swedish giants at the age of 12 and has since moved to Serie A side Bologna before returning to be a part of Malmo’s Under-19 squad.”

He is another welcome young player with promise.

57. oz gunner says:

@ RA

Arteta just had a glance at his ‘Arsene’s Arsenal guide to transfer window’ notes:

– After a big signing make sure you close out the window with an obscure youth player and highlight that it’s one for the future – TICK!

“for additional points loan out player to Eerste Divisie for the season”

58. oz gunner says:

Transfers allowed right up to 1am if both clubs have signed a form.

Good to get some clarification on that vs. the old “stuck in the fax machine’ stories.

59. RC78 says:

Atletico confirm that Arsenal triggered the release clause for Partey and that his contract has been terminated by the club.

60. RC78 says:

So that’s it, Partey joins AFC 🙂

Sounds promising RC.

Still want to see it on arsenal.com

62. RC78 says:

Now it s about the paper work – let us hope the club does not mess it up…but if all goes well, Partey is our player:

Skyports BREAKING NEWS:

Atletico Madrid confirm Thomas Partey’s release clause has been activated by Arsenal and his contract at the club has been terminated.

63. RC78 says:

French reports say it is official and is the best deal of the day.

64. RC78 says:

It is official…Torreira to Atletico on loan

65. RC78 says:

Arsenal to make transfer announcements at 11h15pm on social media

Come on!

OFFICIAL

PARTEY TIME

68. RC78 says:

It is official…NoThomasNoParty 🙂

Arteta-Edu land their prime midfield target after securing Ceba as well.

69. RC78 says:

Runnarsson
    Soares
    Mari
    Gabriel
    Partey
    Ceballos

+ the 2 young guns from Netherlands and Sweden

Let us see if there is any news about Chambers, Mustafi, Sokratis, Kolasinac, Ozil leaving

70. RC78 says:

Leno – Luiz, Gabriel, Tierney – Bellerin, Partey, Ceba, Saka – Willian, Laca, Auba ?

Why is everybody trying to be so hale and hearty?

They can see that we’ve signed Thomas Partey Partey Partey Partey Partey…

______________________________

He’s our Partey and he’ll score if he wants to, score if he wants to…

_________________________________

72. RC78 says:

RockyLives 🙂

73. RC78 says:

New post

74. fatgingergooner says:

Runarsson Mustafi
    Mari > Sokratis
    Soares > RB cover
    Willian > Mkhitaryan
    Partey > Torreira
    Ceballos > Geundouzi

So we’ve managed to get upgrades at RW, CM, CB, and RB cover, whilst having a downgrade at sub-GK. We’ve also kept our best player with a new deal. Not bad at all. Probably a Net spend of around £70m on fees but the wages will have taken a hit although Mkhitaryan leaving will have helped. Plus the club know that Özil’s crazy wage is off the books in 12 months time. Shame we couldn’t get a couple of defenders out (Kolasinac and Sokratis on £100k week) but it’s the January window in a couple of months so imagine we will trim the squad at that point.

Very happy with the way the squad is developing. Hopefully Arteta can continue to get the most out of it.

Partey should be a great signing and the fact he’s big and athletic and has come from a very organised team and a coach who demands massive effort (Simeone) can only be a good thing. If you are going to sign a defensive minded player then you can’t get one from anywhere better than Atletico with the way they play.

Nice one RC

Up until the drama tonight I would have given the transfer window a C+

I know you said not to take into account the ‘outs’ but I am doing so.

The pluses for me were Auba and Saka being re-signed; signing Gabriel; Dani another year loan; Willian on a free; 20 mill for Emi.

The minuses – Ozil problem still unresolved; too many other players who are surplus to requirements still on books.

HOWEVER

Signing Partey changes everything and takes the window up to a A-

We have strengthened in exactly the area we needed to and with a player who has the potential to be world class.