Another FA Cup to go ………. yes please.

This was a tough but overall well deserved win. I thought the team showed some real cohesion when we did not have the ball and we had some good movement too moving forward. We, obviously, had to concede a stupid goal but we showed spirit to reclaim our lead. We were also our usual vulnerable selves on set-pieces.

The positives:- Pepe had a MOTM performance, not only for his goal and offensive contribution but for his defensive contribution. The guy tracked back and then he was available to receive the ball when we recovered it. – Tierney had another spirited and quite solid performance.- Holding coming back to form and showing some solidity.- The overall team work and in some cases, we moved the ball really well. Pepe could have grabbed a double but he skewed one of his efforts slightly to the left of the post.- Martinez distribution was quite good – he has definitely improved but I’d like him to be a more commanding

The not-so positives:- We are still vulnerable on the right side with AMN, Willock, Mustafi not doing great…- AMN looks lost and it is sad to see because I think he has got the engine and the skills to succeed at our club. He looks like he is constantly interrogating his positioning, his dribbling or passing. He needs to play with a free mind…- Willok had an absolute blank or bleak performance. He needs to really make sure that he has the engine to play day-in day-out at a high level. – Mustafi and Kola – great fighters but Mustafi always struggles with pacey forward and Kola can sometimes be a bit rash with his decision-making as proven by the silly goal conceded- Besides the great goal scored, Ceballos was really transparent too. – We are playing City next – not gonna be easy…Dr Bruyne and Mahrez are really at the top of their game these days and Sterling is coming back to form.

Player Ratings:

Martinez  7……. Mustafi  6 ………. Holding  7 ……….. Kola  5

AMN  5 ………. Willock  5…………. Xhaka  6 ………….Tierney  6

Pepe  8 ………….Laca  6 ……….Saka  7 ……….. Ceballos  6

In any case, I am looking forward to the Semi-Finals at Wembley! The opposition will be ferocious and the ambiance odd but we are two games away from the Cup and who knows, we may be able to grab the trophy! So as I am having my coffee in Brussels, here is my order “Another FA Cup to go, please – make it smooth and sweet”.
Hope everyone is well! Keep on blogging and above all, keep safe and healthy

RC78

14 Responses to Another FA Cup to go ………. yes please.

1. Thank you RC78 for another great contribution.

I love the FA Cup and we won our last one by beating City in the semis and Chelsea in the Final ………… bring it on.

Thanks for the report RC.

I have not seen either of our two last games. I think I should stop watching altogether, since it seems we win when I’m not watching.

It’s funny how people get different feelings from the same game.

My son was adamant that AMN had an outstanding game, while Arseblog’s report singles out Willock for some praise, yet you found them both wanting.

That’s the joy of footy I suppose.

Still, an FA Cup semi final is not to be sniffed at. It’s a mighty tough task to beat Man City, but our FA Cup record is second to none.

3. RC78 says:

@Rocky – Please stop watching the games 😛 I was not impressed with AMN and Willock indeed and Ceballos either until he hit the winning goal. I wouldn’t be surprised to see AMN go this summer.

I do not know what Edu is doing but if I were him, I d use all necessary Brazilian slang and portuguese words to convince Willian to join us next year. I d feel comfortable with having him as our right wing back. This would also allow us to shift Soares as a back up to Tierney on the left…

Leno – Holding, Luiz, Mari – Willian, Partey, Xhaka, Tierney – Pepe, Laca?, Saka

Martinez – Chambers, Mustafi, Saliba – Bellerin, Willock, Torreira, Soares – Nelson, Nketiah, Martinelli

There is a chance that Laca also leaves and if he does, then Ings should be targeted and there is definitely a gap concerning a real DM that would need to be addressed.

Right on, RC, you are becoming a force of Blogdom for AA, and I liked the report, especially as I did not see the match, so cannot disagree with anything you said!! 🤪

5. Arsenal fc are trying thier possible best to put things back to place and build up a great sguad of 2004 type.
    The answers is that ,they must spend more money to get more values.they must allow Arteta and Edu decide on the best players in the transfer market to fill the void and deliver their best for the club.

In addition, My advice is that the mid field need a player like Pape gueye and Thomas partey.
    The attacking line needs a player berahma of Brentford and Edouard of Celtics.
    The defense line need the likes of dayot opamecano and sonyusu with the pairing of Pablo Mari,soarse and David luiz at the back.
    The wing needs the likes of zaha and cotinho.
    By signin all this players within a season, the sguad will be dangerous to face by any team around the world and they will become a league contenders. The likes of abameyang,mustafi,chambers,mikthiyan,sokrathis,torera,willock,lacazete and ozil can all leave the club, no more panic after those signing as been made,the team will not missed their service.

Omo – totally agree about needing a player like Partey.

We may need to sell some of our more valuable assets in order to be able to buy what we need.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Bellerin, Lacazette, Ozil and Aubameyang all leave this summer.

Thanks for the read RC and I firmly agree with your view on Pepe and I have not been one of his cheer leaders by a long shot but yesterday was a bit different, it was a more rounded performance; he was purposeful going forward and conscientious of his defensive responsibilities. Yes, and MOTM, hadn’t crossed my mind but made perfect sense when I read your view.

Totally agree about Willock, not doing himself any favours at all. I would still like to see ESR be given a fair crack at the whip before making a purchase that could make the pair redundant.

I slightly vary on AMN in the sense that I thought he did well defensively but let himself down by being sloppy in his distribution when moving forward.

In general, I still thought the overall performance was pub level made even more apt by the lack of supporters.

8. LBG says:

More thanks from me RC for the effort after a less than gratifying performance.
    I believe Holding, Saliba Mari and even Mavrapanos and Medley are the future at centre back.
    Tierney is a gem in terms of ability and leadership. I would even like to see Soares before I dismiss him.
    I would sell Sokratis, Mustafi, Kolasinac, and Bellerin for as much as we can get and buy Partey. (For the moment we have Luiz, but I would never play him at centre back!)
    In midfield, I want another Santi with Vieira size and power to play with Saka, Torreira, Smith-Rowe and Willock(who I still believe in).
    AM-N and (possibly) Nelson can go, and up front, play Martinelli and Nketiah( with maurading Saka and Tierney whenever possible driving and crossing from the byline.
    This leaves Laca and Aubang, who I expect to leave, and they could fund, perhaps another experienced goalscorer with Premier League experience. ( how about Ings?)

9. RC78 says:

Osimhen to Napoli meaning Milik could be on his way out. He is a very striker but apparently, he will go to Atletico Madrid, which means that Cavani could be snapped up for free…Cavani would be a fantastic acquisition for us despite his age. The guy is a fighter and he would be a great mentor to Nketiah and Martinelli. If Cavani comes, we can let Laca go.

GK: Leno, Martinez, Macey
    WBR: Willian, Bellerin
    WBL: Tierney, Soares
    CBs: Holding, Luiz, Mari, Chambers, Mustafi, Saliba
    Mids: Partey, Xhaka, Torreira, Douzi, Willock, ESR
    FWR: Pepe, Nelson
    FWL: Saka, Kostic
    ST: Martinelli, Nketiah, Cavani

Leno – Holding, Luiz, Mari – Willian, Partey, Xhaka, Tierney – Pepe, Martinelli, Saka

Martinez – Chambers, Mustafi, Saliba – Bellerin, Torreira, Douzi, Soares – Nelson, Nketiah, Kostic

+ Medley, Willock, ESR, Cavani

That is a solid group and you can afford to loan out Medley, Willock or ESR

10. RC78 says:

So out are the following players would could yield in sales, roughly 155 Mln (I did not count Ceba in this amount since he is not our player)

AMN, Sok, Mavro, Kola, Elneny, Ceba, Ozil, Mkhy, Auba, Laca

So in are the following players for roughly 95 Mln…
    Willian (free so maybe 5 mln signature fee), Partey (55 Mln), Kostic (30 Mln), Cavani (free so maybe 5 mln signature fee)

I hope Arteta and Edu are checking this blog out 😛

11. RC78 says:

and of course, if Douzi or Torreira leave and even if they don’t, we need a DM…

Thank-you RC for keeping the regular posts going. I have barely had time to comment let alone compile a post but will try and help out as soon as I can.

I concur with many of your thoughts RC about the game and the players, but slightly disagree on AMN. He admittedly had a couple of sloppy moments but other than that he looked good bringing the ball forwards. I also read it somewhere that he topped our tackling stats in that game.

I was actually writing more in this comment but as usual it was longer than originally anticipated so I have sent the rest to nuts as a potential post.

RC, I have sent in a potential post about the central midfield areas so will not say too much aside from my agreement on needing an addition at DM. Up front I could go for Cavani with a signing on fee + wages for a couple of seasons if Auba and Laca go. Nketieh gets a nod from me as a main player now and we have John Jules to introduce and (if we can keep him) Balogun. If not Cavani then I quite like Ings who I think could do well with us. I am not sure about Kostic but he seems to be listed as a left winger and we don’t need that IMO.

14. Hi all