So, we got a win – a welcome one too! We had some good movement around the park and created good chances although our goals were (s)crappy at best…
A) Things we noticed ………
1) We set up as a 3-4-3, which may be a temporary set up due to the limited availability of players or it could be a real shift. I believe in the latter as mentioned yesterday – it is the only way I could rationalize Luiz extending his stay with us. And to be fair, we did quite well defensively in a 3-4-3 set-up, the only dangerous situations faced from the right side of our defensive unit: Bellerin-Mustafi. These two clearly need to improve their defensive understanding. They were not helped by a very disengaged Ceballos…Holding had a good game and Martinez too and Tierney also showed good discipline and defensive work as LCB. Saka and Auba thrived on the left and Xhaka had a decent passing game although he did his usual mistakes that led to opposition chances. Pepe had a quieter game than last one but I think that he was hampered by Ceballos..
2) The elephant in the room or more like the Elephant not in the room…Guendouzi..Seems him and Arteta had a fall-out in February and since then, Douzi was walking on a tight rope and clearly his Maupay throat grabbing was too much for Arteta. Douzi was apparently disciplined today and asked to be allowed to leave the club. We are talking 40 Mln EUR for a player bought for 8 Mln – well done Minslat! I still think it is a massive mistake to let him go but if the coach and him don’t get along, we gotta support and trust our coach.
3). Nketiah may have the edge over Laca now, maybe mostly because he is ready to do the high-press. What is your take?
B) Some questions ……….
1) Shall we give AMN a run ahead of Bellerin in the next game?
2) Shall we stick to the 343 formation?
3) Ceballos is not looking comfortable really so shall we already line up his replacement as it seems that we are going to let Douzi go? Is Partey the player we need to replace Ceballos? If so – will our midfield options be: Partey, Xhaka, Willock, Torreira. If so, we definitely need one more option that is a lot more defensive-minded -> Brozovic?
4) Ozil has not been playing and I really think that like Mkhy, he may not be suited to the type of pressing game demanded by Artera. Shall we release him or at least convince him to move on? I am sure teams in Italy, Germany and France would welcome him. He could be a key player for teams like Monaco for example.
5) How excited are you about next game? I am looking forward to another win or at least a passionate performance with the following line-up?
Martinez – Mustafi, Holding, Tierney – AMN, Willock, Xhaka, Saka – Pepe, Nketiah, Auba
Good read RC and good questions, thanks for explaining the Guendouzi situation, like you I a very curious to see how Arteta deals with AMN, are we finally going to see him have a chance in midfield. Can’t think of a better time the bar is so low.
Wonder what AMN can bring to midfield for use I think I actually prefer willock in that position
Guessing amn will feature on Sunday giving bellerin a bit of a rest
I think he will still continue to rotate Eddie and lacazette until lacazette get into some goal scoring form
Not sure what pressing you refering to RC cause to me only Eddie was pressing
Sometimes it seems you are on another planet to the rest of us.
Completely confused by your last comment on previous post.
RC actually said Eddie was/does the one doing the pressing.
Do agree with you re Willock vAM-N, although I’d still not give up on Mesut.
Regarding RC’s post, what disappoints most is lack of creativity in midfield for me. Why is noone seemingly convinced by Smith-Rowe.
I dont ever see the “good bits” of Xhaka. Given there is no one in front of, who ever plays in the backline, who is happy to receive the ball, turn, advance, or pass dynamically (I quote Alonso regularly, but Santi, Vieira, Pires, Bergkamp), the incompetence of Mustafi and Bellerin is magnified massively. ( While I think of it one advantage of Martinez was he obviously has little regard for the short pass to incompetent defenders, and put his foot through the ball regularly. Shame his quick delivery to Aubang didnt produce a goal – please do this again on occasions, sir)
Regarding 343. Feel the main failing is you lose Tierney’s ability to gallop down the left, and, unlike Hector, cross the ball.
Against Sheffield Utd, FIRST AND FOREMOST will be preparedness to fight harder and with more determination than them. Not sure how confident I am for that!!
Well unlike so many Gunners I have been really impressed with the beginning of Artetas reign. He has had shockig bad luck with injuries ( just think how Chelski, Manure, Liddypill and Macit would have done with half our the injuries we have had) never a two week strain or pull, always a 6/8 week or even whole season break.
so I think that he will have lined up some top quality players to add to our already top class squad. I hope to see a team start next season something like this:
Leno, Saliba Holding, Mari
Soares Partey Saka Thierney ( sub in MF Luiz)
Pepe Nketia Martinelli
If Auba stays he would start in front of nketia or Martinelli some times. I think Arteta will bring in other very exciting MF and Forwrdas we have not heard of yet. With that defence (at last) and the rest I forecast we will be challenging for the titel and for many years to come because of their ages.
A sale of Sokratis, Lacazette, Belerin, Kolasinac, and quite a few of our loanies, will give him the money he needs to build on even that great team.
Sorry for the late reply, but yes, we are all good so far! Hope you and yours, and everyone on the blog, are keeping safe.
As for Arteta, I agree he’s started well. This has turned into a sorry bunch of players with a huge lack of confidence, so to get the results he has is a good effort imo. Personally, I’d like to see Mustafi, Kolasinac, Torreira, Özil, Lacazette, Mkhitaryan and possibly Geundouzi moves on if he’s not willing to do as he’s told. I couldn’t care less about big names right now. What Arteta needs is players who will give him everything and listen to instruction. He clearly has a vision (something Emery lacked) and he seems very willing to let the young players play if they put in the effort. Willock, Tierney, Martinelli, Saka, Holding, Saliba, Pepe and Nketiah are the future of this club.
Ironically, we’ve finally arrived at a time where Project Youth is our best shot…..10 years after the first attempt!!! Turns out we needed a young manager to implement it….
Thanks RC. I’ve been completely out f touch with Arsenal news having not scanned news now since March. I had no idea of the situation with Douzi, it’s sad but you can’t have players dictating style of play to the manager. Like others iplace my full trust in Mikel. He’s the right man for the job, the circumstances have been against him but unlike Unai he believes in himself and he’s sticking to his plan.
Good morning all…In terms of talent and as I was indicating a few posts ago, our most talented players are Pepe, Martinelli, Saka and we should build our team around these 3 up front – I like Nketiah but I think Martinelli is better…We also have Saliba, Tierney and maybe Douzi (if he stays) that are young promising players and let us hope that Willock, Nelson and Smithe-Rowe come in good too…
I agree that Ceba and Xhaka were not creating enough and I really felt that Mustafi-Bellerin-Ceba right side was void of any movement/creativity and were hampering Pepe upfront. I am getting increasingly worried about Bellerin to be honest and I am sure we are not gonna pay Real Madrid 50 Mln for Ceba so certainly, Arteta is going to look at this situation.
– Willian approached by Edu and Arteta
– Partey’s transfer in doubt as other teams are looking at him closely, including Bayern Munich.
– Fraser, Jimenez, Ings still very much an option for Arsenal
Yet another very good Post, RC, thank you, Monsieur. 😁
I have some secret sources that tell me the issue between Mikel and Dozy is not related to playing styles or strategies.
Mikel has let it be known that he does not want Dozy going off half-cocked and causing problems for himself, and the team, by over-reacting and potentially getting banned because of a red card–which I suspect–he was lucky not to get at the end of the Brighton game.
He also said he prefers to deal with such matters privately with the player involved, but that he was not worried about a player being aggressive, as all the better players had to show aggression.
Mikel’s previous irritation with Dozy was for off the field high jinks, which was not acceptable from an Arsenal player.
I think Dozy will be back, suitably admonished–he is young and volatile, just like most young guys of his age.
Aggression? Love it – pity more of the squad don’t show it too. 👺
[Oh, and my not-so-secret sources: just about every sports page that I read after the Arsenal/Brighton game. Sschh ]
I’ve been chatting to one of my young CB charges. Now while I’m pretty sure there is a lot of loyalty in the young CB fraternity he thinks we should be giving Medley a go ….. he says he’s massive, 6’7” and talented to boot.
I remember Arsene used him during his last season so why not give him a go.
Anyway, if someone wants to write a pre-match for tomorrow just let me know …..
Having watched the Norwich game yesterday I was impressed again by the quality and intensity of Cantwell’s play. They’re going down without doubt, I think he’d make a great addition to our squad. I expect he will be snapped up by one of the bigger clubs so why not us?
Lack of movement, slow, cumbersome passing, gaps between Mustafi and A M-N. Are we seriously playing to take on Sheffield Utd on the break. Passion, determination where is it?
Good job all the commentary teams love Arsenal.
Tierney must be given licence to play as an attacking full back.
Second penalty? Not given.
My assessment of penalty :- the tackle from behind was outlawed in the Adams and Bould era. Most referees allow it if contact is made with ball. Defender did not touch the ball and went through Laca. Penalty.
Pepe penalty even more obvious.
Need drive and commitment superior to Utd if they are to hold on.
Trust you are all watching and really happy with performance!!?
I was enjoying 1-0 ☹️
OMG …… not enjoying this now
Better now 😂😂😂
Great finish fro Dani.
Thank you Dani 😁
FACup here we come ….. just got to play better 😉
Nothing like at their best.
Unbelievably poor at anything that is crossed into our box. BUT…..
“Worst refereeing performance Talksport have ever seen. Disgraceful” ” Arsenal are kidding themselves, dont deserve anything, and will be destroyed by any team they draw in semi-finals” Danny Mills.
Hi Peaches. Time for a dog walk.
Why would any normal thinking person take anything that Danny Mills, or any pundit, seriously?
Did Talks…t not report on the 50th game?
Now that was a wonderful, display of refereeing, wasn’t it?
Take the W and move on.
Martinez made some good saves, and did fairly well playing out the back.
Kola and Ceballos add nothing to the team, and do not offer themselves much when others are under pressure and can barely get by anyone to move the ball forward when 1 v 1.
Some nice passing a few times on the counter which should have led to a goal.
Thank goodness Holding can head the ball.
These are the type of games players need to keep winning.
Arteta is doing quite well all things considered.
Pep “FA Cup win would be perfect prep for CL.”
Getting a bit ahead of yourself, Pep, me thinks!
Agreed. The whole game chamged on a reat turn by Saka and a top forward pass.
@Peaches and Rasp – sent you another post
There’s a New Post …………..