Is Martinez a keeper?

While Leno is not the best GK ever, he is showing signs of improvements and is good on his line and decent with his feet.

He really has to do better with his aerial abilities but overall, I would say he is in the top 8 EPL GK.

What about Martinez? He did not really play well nor poorly. He is a bit of a mystery because we have not really seen him play too much but he is not a keeper that has given me much confidence in case Leno gets injured.

It seems that he has definitely some good shot-stopping quality about him but his aerial ability is also limited and his distribution is not great. He is 27 so one year younger than Leno and we can’t call him a promise anymore.

So what do we do? We keep him and satisfy ourselves with his abilities as a back up and hope that Leno stays fit or do we move to invest in a younger maybe less experienced but more promising GK (Areola, Lafont, Donnaruma, Maximiano…)?

So is Martinez a keeper?

RC78

27 Responses to Is Martinez a keeper?

1. Thank you for the post RC78. I was certain that Martinez was an excellent back-up for Leno but a couple of dodgy games made me re-think. It will be interesting to see what others think.

2. RC78 says:

And do ppl think thst letting PiG go was a mistake in the end?

3. Mikel A says:

Cheers RC.

The hardest position to have in a team is 2nd goalkeeper. Very active in training and then watching game after game on the bench. Such a player can only really be judged when playing game after game in a steady defence. For a nr2 keeper he is indeed a keeper for me. Not many are happy to blow the second fiddle but Martinez is.

4. Mikel A says:

Play not blow 🙂

Good Morning

I have to disagree. Leno is an excellent shot stopper and very agile and has saved us many points this year.Martinez has been with the club 8 years and therefore limited game time but IMO he has by far the safest hands but both have to play with a dodgy defence, A combination of the two and to stop this passing out of the ball sideways and backwards and sideways would help both of them.

6. JM says:

Emiliano is currently one of our Home-Grown (HG) players for the PL. The others are Macey (another GK), Bellerin (a RB/RWB), Maitland-Niles (a defensive utility player), Chambers (another defensive utility player) and Holding (a CB). That is 6 altogether (where we could register a maximum of 8).

There are no absolute guarantees that any of the 6 would stay with us the next season or 2. Especially, AMN who is frozen out from our 1st team. One of either Chambers or Holding might also be sold, what with our quantity of CBs in the 1st team, especially with both Sailba and Mavropanos returning from their loans and if Mari is still when us (we would have 8 available CBs). Macey, currently age 25, is our 3rd GK and could also leave to seek regular football.

Some more, Emiliano is considered one of our ‘senior’ players at the club, having been with us since 2010 (2 years at youth level and 8 years away on loan and with our 1st team). He speaks Spanish and is conversant in English so can be a guide to new incoming players from Latin America and Spain like Martinelli, Ceballos, Torreira etc

7. RC78 says:

Hope everyone is well…

Elsewhere in football news:
    – PSG to make a move for Koulibaly to replace Thiago Silva
    – PSG to make a move for Donnarumma next summer as they will sell Areola to Madrid for 16 Mln this summer and will offer a year contract extension to Rico.

– Barcelona confident about Auba’s transfer for 60 Mln EUR this summer as they are preparing an overhaul.
    – I hope the rumour linking us with Umtiti is not true

8. fred1266 says:

Arsenal have revealed boss Mikel Arteta is “feeling much better” after his positive coronavirus diagnosis as the club begin to welcome back staff to their training ground.

The Gunners were forced to close their London Colney and Hale End bases for deep cleaning last week after confirming Arteta had contracted COVID-19.

However, the Spaniard is on the mend and is in regular contact with his playing squad and staff members, a number of who are continuing to self-isolate.

The Premier League announced on Thursday that the competition will not resume until April 30 at the earliest, but Arsenal are now gearing up for the resumption of training.

Mikel Arteta

@m8arteta
    Thanks for your words and support.Feeling better already.We’re all facing a huge & unprecedented challenge.Everyone’s health is all that matters right now.Protect each other by following the guidelines & we’ll come through this together.Well done PL for making the right decisions

View image on Twitter
    206K
    12:19 PM – Mar 13, 2020
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    44K people are talking about this
    Providing an update on their official website, Arsenal said: “You can imagine that as this fast-moving situation has developed, we have been taking extensive steps to ensure we keep operating efficiently while protecting our players and staff.

“Our training centres in London Colney and Hale End were closed for deep cleaning after Mikel’s diagnosis with the virus but have now re-opened with a small workforce to maintain the facilities and training pitches.

“A number of staff, including Mikel and the men’s first-team squad, are currently isolating at home. We’re pleased to say that Mikel is feeling much better. He’s in good spirits, doing detailed planning with the coaches and speaking to the players regularly.

“The women’s and academy teams are also currently staying at home. All our players are looking forward to getting back out on the training pitches as soon as the situation allows.

“The players have been given specific training and dietary regimes to follow at home and are in daily contact with our coaches and support staff. As you will have seen from social media some of them are certainly embracing this changed new world.”

It was originally decided the professional game in England would be suspended until April 3, with that date now extended until at least the end of next month.

Arsenal have given their full backing for that decision, adding: “You will have seen Thursday’s announcement that the 2019-20 season will be extended indefinitely, and that the professional game is further postponed in England until at least April 30, 2020.

“We are fully supportive of this decision which was endorsed at Thursday morning’s Premier League shareholder meeting. Of course, we all want to be back playing football as soon as we possibly can, but only when it is safe to be doing so.”

9. LBG says:

Will it be a “major disaster” if Aubang is sold, and what if he goes to Manure, should we not then demand 100m?

10. RC78 says:

Auba won’t be sold to Utd. He ll go to Barca or PSG or Juve or Inter but not Utd.

11. RC78 says:

Is everyone OK? Give some news.
    Brussels is very quiet now…but still some people are not taking seriously and go to parks to meet up for walks 😦

12. LBG says:

Hi RC
    In self isolation in five star hotel in Cape Town, SA, during a long awaited but now curtailed “safari” holiday. Hoping very much that our scheduled BA flight on Thursday 26th will still leave for Blighty. Omens currently good. A repatriation flight.
    Best wishes to all AAers around the Worl. Stay safe. LBG.

13. fred1266 says:

U stay safe also LBG

We currently have 49 cases which is scary in itself

Hearing the death toll in Italy is insane

14. fred1266 says:

15. VP says:

Yes hoping all are well. Here in Oz we are all mostly in lockdown. I still have work to do but mainly I tell staff they are not required anymore until further notice. We might only operate a couple of days a week now.
    The hardest thing to do is to keep the adult children at home or stop them from organising parties at home because everywhere else is closed. I’m a bit worried my son is becoming an alcoholic as each day now its beer scotch and girlfriend locked in his room.
    My wife is a shrink so I had to setup Zoom meetings for her and her clients yesterday. Life goes on.

Thanks for the Viera vid Fred. I love the guy. I got the chance to watch his last kick of the ball as an Arsenal player, scoring the winning penalty against Manure at the 2005 FA cup.

16. fred1266 says:

Why did we ever let Vieira leave

17. Sue says:

Hi RC.. we’re not on complete lockdown yet, but I don’t think it’s far away. Pubs, restaurants, gyms, leisure centres have all closed… shops are slowly closing (clothing etc)….it is scary stuff. Stay safe guys and gals….

18. RC78 says:

Upamecano, Mukiele, Konate. Leipzig will look to sell one of these players this summer

Koulibaly also out of Napoli

Any of these defenders would help us out. While the obvious choices may be Upa and Koulibaly, I think Mukiele would be very useful as he can play RB and RCB.

19. Pete the Thirst says:

Hi Peaches

I’ve emailed a story for you to upload. Hopefully it will raise spirits and take Martinez’ haircut off the front page!

20. fred1266 says:

Arsenal head coach Mikel Arteta was scared about who he would infect after contracting coronavirus.

Arteta is “completely fine” after battling COVID-19, which has killed more than 24,000 people around the world and brought sport to a standstill.

The 38-year-old, who tested positive on March 12, said he was concerned about infecting those around him, including his players.

“I am feeling completely recovered [now], it’s true I started having some symptoms when we got the phone call from the club to let us know that we might be exposed to the virus because of the owner of Olympiacos and in that moment… I don’t know, I felt something within me, that I had it,” Arteta told Arsenal Player.

“We had a game the following day against Manchester City, so I made a decision and called the doctor straight away and I asked him to drive home.

“I spoke with Raul [Sanllehi], Edu, Vinai [Venkatesham], Huss [Fahmy] and we set up a meeting together and I said, ‘Listen, we have a couple of players that have been exposed. There is a massive risk there and as well I am the first one feeling the symptoms, very clear symptoms. So if that is the case, all of the players and the people related to the club who are in contact with me on a daily basis are exposed. So we cannot make that decision, we have to speak to the Premier League, to Manchester City and we have to make the decision pretty quickly.’

“Then you realise, ‘Wow, everybody can be exposed here, this is very serious’ and you start to think about the people that you’ve been in contact with and the other people that can be related to us. That’s when a bit of fear comes.”

Arsenal

@Arsenal
    💬 “We are in a world here where everything is social media, everything is a WhatsApp text. But how important is touching each other, feeling each other and hugging each other? I miss that a lot with a lot of people that I love.”

🙏 @m8arteta

View image on TwitterView image on TwitterView image on TwitterView image on Twitter
    5,589
    9:07 PM – Mar 26, 2020
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    935 people are talking about this
    Arteta said there was nothing unusual about how he felt while dealing with coronavirus.

“In terms of symptoms, it was a normal virus for me. I had three or four days which were a little bit difficult, with a bit of a temperature and a dry cough, and some discomfort in my chest. That was it,” he said.

“The difficulty is that I have people at home, three kids as well and I was worried. My missus has been through it and my nanny’s been through it. Thank God, the kids never got it. We are all completely fine now.”

With the Premier League suspended due to coronavirus, Arsenal are ninth in the table, eight points adrift of fourth-placed Chelsea.

21. LBG says:

Back home on the last but one flight out of Cape Town, SA. Best wishes to all AAers around the World. Keep safe and well all.

22. fred1266 says:

You actually travel LBG,

23. There’s a New Post …………