There is widespread coverage of the away supporters confronting Robbie and his AFTV crew at the Everton game this weekend.

The first point we should accept is that AFTV has a perfect right to exist and is not breaking any laws by legitimately interviewing fans on public property before and after games.

I also think it’s fair to say that AFTV has become a bit of a pantomime displaying the full range of characters from Widow Twanky’s (AKA Claude) ignorance and entitlement personified and his alter ego Buttons (Ti) who is often interviewed at the same time in an attempt to offer some journalistic balance.

AFTV grew out of the disgruntlement that divided supporters in Arsene Wenger’s latter years. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if AFTV gets more hits from non Arsenal supporters who find our public self flagellation a source of great amusement. Personally I find it an embarrassment.

Let’s be honest, AFTV doesn’t exactly paint us as the most intelligent or loyal supporters. It’s entertaining viewing I suppose and I believe it has been very good for Robbie’s bank balance. Some would argue that it is a way of conveying a message to the club from ‘grass roots’ supporters.

The problem is that after the departure of the great man we’ve already made one bad managerial appointment and the need to be unified and supportive behind the new manager has never been greater if we are going to restore our club and the values we all hold dear …. and AFTV is not exactly helping is it?

Accepting that freedom of speech is sacrosanct and there is nothing we can do to stop Robbie and his crew, let us know how you feel about the idea of being represented by AFTV.

Rasp

36 Responses to Arsenal Fan TV … An Outlet For ‘Fans’ To Express Their Legitimate Concerns … Or An Embarrassment?

Stimulating Post Rasp – well done.

I watched a few AFTV clips some years ago when they first came on the scene. The first “Claude rant” I viewed was quite amusing; the second one was a teeny bit amusing; thereafter it was just *yawn*.

To be honest it’s not my cup of tea and I haven’t watched any AFTV for years. I much prefer the sort of intelligent discourse that you get here on AA.

But that said… I am a free speech extremist and I have no problem with AFTV doing what they do, even though (to me at least) their content is drivel.

So I voted “not bothered either way” as it was the closest option to my position.

2. LBG says:

An irrelevant organ, peopled by irrelevant organs with no real experience of football and our Club who like the pundits, are the worse kind of followers of the sport…..self- publicists.

Sorry Rasp! Once everyone has had their say, what about this for a quote from Mikel from his playing days on the principles of passing football:’
    “You have to pass with speed and precision ( in this game), and believe not only in yourself, but your teammates, because sometimes you have to put them in trouble with a one-touch passing a tight area of the pitch. You have to play the ball to their safer side – their stronger foot or where there’s more space for them to turn into. Sometimes just playing the ball into his feet isn’t good enough”

What you are talking about here Mikel is “precision” one of the major failings in the current squad. I hope you can keep the ones with precision and replace those without with a new breed…..but dont forget to check the yoof first!

3. LBG says:

” one touch pass in a tight area…..”

Precision has indeed been lacking from our play, LBG.

5. VP of Oz says:

They are a disgrace.
    The views they broadcast are driven simply to stir the pot and grow clickbait etc.
    Yes have your own opinion, express it articulately but dont talk shite.

I still remember Robbie asking his panel of commentators, that if AW won the treble, should he be allowed to coach one more year and it was a resounding no! It had to be Wenger Out. And they would prefer he didnt win trophies or the title because his tenure might get extended. What the?

Now yes his time might have been coming to an end but hell, winning the treble plus one more year, I’d take that. Look what we’ve won since he left…

When I heard that, I’ve never watched it since.

Morning LBG, I’m desperately trying to temper my expectation of Mikel. but so far everything he has said has resonated with me.

It’s clear he understands the problems, let’s hope he can supply the solutions …. I believe he can.

One surprise about the new boss is that he is still only 37! He certainly ticks the ‘yoof’ box!

Hi VP, like Rocky, I was amused at first … but very soon that turned to cringing and ATV just became another stick to beat Arsenal with.

There is a reason why all the popular soaps in the UK deal in poor behaviour and disasters … the public have a thirst for it … god knows why?

I think AFTV is just a further manifestation of that mind set. We love a good moan.

You guys over there with half your country on fire have a lot more to worry about … on that note I hope you and all the family and friends are keeping safe.

8. VCC says:

I voted in favour of AFTV.

I’m all for freedom of speech, and this platform allows supporters to air their views. And I maintain there’s always an on and off button.

Talksport has been running for years and arguably more controversial than AFTV, especially that numpty Durham. He is no more than a wind up merchant.

COYG

9. Des moran says:

It it bothers you dont watch it I dont and as someone said on the thread below other fans watch it more than Arsenal fans for the comedy and assembled bunch of clowns.

They are unfortunately real fan nutters but they dont interest me as I prefer quality discourse on the issues around the club available on a number of high quality Arsenal podcasts.

10. VP of Oz says:

Hi Rasp, yes we are a land of flood, drought and bushfires. My family is quite safe. The fires are a complicated issue and its very sad when there is so much loss.
    Some people say its climate change
    Others say that almost all the fires are started by people on purpose (arson)
    And then there is the back burning debate. Regular back burning is prevented by the environmentalists and then over years, the ground fuel builds up and when the conditions are right, tradegy through fire erupts, usually started by an arsonist.
    Well thats my perception of things but I am sure I stand to be corrected…

As for Soaps, you still have Neighbours yes? Not sure its on still over here?

11. VP of Oz says:

off to see the Christmas lights

Have a great Christmas one and all on AA

Hi Des, and welcome. I agree.

The quote (incorrectly attributed to Voltaire my googling tells me) …

… “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.”

… still prevails.

13. I like Robbie, but not the muppets he surrounds himself with. To his credit he went to most (if not all) of our matches at his own expense and set up the first proper fan interview TV forum, but jumped on any prevailing bandwagon to get the attention of the mainstream media and it’s worked like a charm. I don’t begrudge him the success of AFTV, but wish he’d just unload those complete nob heads who’ve themselves become (dubious) celebrities.

VP, re: TalkSport.

Durham is a skilled wind up merchant and I’m sure his employers are delighted because he manages to rile supporters and yet boost ratings. You may have noticed that such is our demise of late he has turned his attention more to totnum as they are more full of themselves these days.

I’m sure Rocky could enlighten us more, but I reckon the media channels do extensive research to understand their followers and to know the right buttons to push to climb the ratings.

15. LBG says:

Rasp
    The only problem with any ” defence” of Durham as a paid wind up merchant, is he actually believes his outrageous generalisations. When challenged by logical arguments or statistics that prove him wrong he always ends the call or says he wants to “bring someone else into the debate”. Worst kind of pundit, never, ever concedes his view might be wrong. Like Piss mOrgan, a dickhead First class!!

This comment is from Steve … he posted it on the poll instead of the discussion …

Steve – 2 hours ago

Started as a good thing, has become a business , so has lost its real reasons it started, run by a man who issnt a life long arsenal fan, so will never wholly be one of us, and unfortunately his terrible attempt at claiming a racist motive for the anger at him on Saturday shows he knows nothing about the arsenal fans, and was an embarrassing attempt to win people back, its a shame as the reason it came about was good but has lost its way badly

The guy is a clown, can’t understand why anyone watches him.

18. fred1266 says:

Arsenal’s players will have a “clean slate” under Mikel Arteta, who has confirmed Freddie Ljungberg will remain at the club as part of the coaching staff.

After watching Saturday’s 0-0 draw at Everton from the stands, Arteta will take charge of his first game on Thursday, as the Gunners travel to Bournemouth.

Ljungberg was instead at the helm at the weekend, the interim boss picking a youthful, inexperienced line-up for the game at Goodison Park.

Mesut Ozil was left out of the squad due to injury, though Ljungberg confirmed the ex-Germany international would not have been selected anyway due to his reaction to being substituted during the loss to Manchester City.

However, Ozil – and the rest of his team-mates – will get the chance to enjoy a fresh start under Arteta, who has left his role as Pep Guardiola’s assistant at Manchester City to return to Emirates Stadium.

“My job started straight after the game, so I had to pick the players up first of all mentally and then put them in the work frame that I want,” he said.

“With me, they have a clean slate. I told them that. You’re not going to be judged on things you’ve done in the past, whether they are negative or positive.

“This is evolving every day and I’m expecting you to perform and be in the right mindset every single day for me. If you do that, you’ll have a chance to play. If you don’t, you won’t.”

Arsenal

@Arsenal
    What a sight! 😍

Great to see you back in training, @DaniCeballos46 😊

View image on Twitter
    12.4K
    10:22 AM – Dec 23, 2019
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    1,231 people are talking about this
    The new head coach will lean on Ljungberg for assistance after the pair held discussions at the weekend.

“I spoke to Freddie after the game. I told him my idea and the people I wanted to bring to form my coaching staff, their roles and responsibilities of each of them,” Arteta said.

“I wanted to know what he was feeling, I wanted to know what he had in mind, what his expectations were. We talked and we made a decision that the best thing was for him to stay with us.

“I think he can be very available. I think he knows the players, he knows the situation, he knows the history of where we’re coming from and also his knowledge of the game is going to really help us to be better.”

Arsenal announced on Monday that Ozil will be available to face Bournemouth, while Hector Bellerin and Dani Ceballos are both back in full training.

There is a generation for which Internet broadcasting of themselves has become very profitable, and what AFTV knows only too well is that more extreme the headline the more intense the hits and views, and that in itself drives revenue, so you end up with something that has to be more extreme to get views, and there is the never-ending spiral.

I must admit it didn’t take me long to realise it wasn’t for me, but it also doesn’t take me long to realise that people watching take their word as gospel and repeat and continue the opinions as facts.

This unfortunately gives confidence to some to bring that attitude into ground thinking they are the voice of the majority…..

…some may even draw similarities between the current discourse in UK politics and some of the key players and drivers within that discourse and a very disturbing rise in racism at football grounds.

Like many things in life if someone gives you enough encouragement to join in those who share that view will, especially if they think there is safety in numbers.

20. fred1266 says:

I actually had a chance to ne on fan TV my first visit to Arsenal game but opted not to par take cause the guy who went before me wad so breathtaking with his words there was no way I could have bettered that

Whoever writes the Bournemouth prematch is going to have fun guessing the team; we have absolutely no idea whatsoever what he is going to do, and that, I suppose, is what makes things so interesting, simple things like will MA be more attacking than defensive in his line up or visa versa, it really is quite incredible our lack of knowledge and very exciting at the same time.

One of the titles that crossed my mind was: we wait twenty two years for a Basque manager to arrive and then two come along in quick succession.

LB
    😀

23. John Mathews legend says:

I would like to wish everyone on here a very merry Christmas.
    Got lucky with a flight to Loo-town tomorrow evening, having had both my trains up to London from S.E. France cancelled last weekdue to the strikes here.
    Also got lucky tonight with a ticket for the Chelski game.
    All the best everbody, even if I’ve hung up my blogging gloves, I still have a look in to see how you’re doing.

Thanks JML, have a great Christmas and a happy new year. Unfortunately I don’t think I can find the funds for the chelski game or I’d buy you that beer as promised.

Nice one Legend – same to you and don’t be a stranger!

26. John Mathews legend says:

No worries Rasp, I’ll have my fill of beer, that’s for sure! Am really lucky with the ticket and price (40 quid) through network of ‘Olloway boys.
    Cheers Rocky. I will most probably be a stranger, maybe one who pops in occasionally…dunno. The things I have enjoyed trying to join in on a blog have been out-weighed by the things I don’t enjoy. That’s just me.

27. Sue says:

40 bloody quid, JML!!! Can’t be bad! Hopefully you’ll bring us some luck 👍 Have a great Chrimbo and enjoy the match, that is if you’re in a fit state to enjoy it 🍺😉 Haha!!

28. John Mathews legend says:

Hi Sue. Yep 40 quid for an 86 quid ticket! All depends on who you went to school with back in the 70s (still…got really jammy on this one…) Will be in a fit state, no worries…we only have about 4 pints in the Coronet before KO (maybe a shot of quelquechose if it’s freezing outside, to warm the cockles…ooh er missus) Post match, a few more beers somewhere round Highbury, then maybe a curry in the ‘Indian ocean’ on ‘Olloway rd (might need to be careful as travelling back to France the next day…dunnit before..regretted it)

29. Sue says:

I’ve been having a butchers on the ticket exchange.. pricey.. so yep, you did good! My next game will be Leeds.
    Quelquechose – hey I’m not French 🤣 (had to google it 🤣) haha ooh-er missus indeed!!

Another comment pasted on the poll …

Domhnal MacMathghamhna – 3 hours ago
    Freedom of speech and all that. It doesn’t mirror the supporters’ view of things nor does it pretend to. It is a way of letting off steam for those entitled whiners who have so much more experience in Football management that anyone else working for and at the Club. It was intended to pretend to support the club while being a cash cow for its creators.

31. LBG says:

So my team for Bournemouth game:-
    Leno
    Maitland-Niles Mavrapanos Sokratis Saka
    Torreira
    Guendouzi Ozil Willock (Smith-R)
    Lacazette Martinelli

I’ve been hunting around the back for some snow but it appears that there’s none to be found. WordPress used to add it automatically on December 1st but the option has disappeared 😦 Grumpy old wordpress.

Have chucked a post in drafts Peaches/Rasp, may need a couple of pictures.

Thanks GiE …

…. New post everyone …

Peaches, I’ve just sprayed some shaving foam through a colander onto my p.c screen and it works a treat for snow effect. Thought I woulds share that with the A.A faithful so they too can get into the Christmas spirit.

LB, @6.46pm, I think “Busses and Basques” would be a suitable title now that you point that quirk of fate out.

I am pleased that Freddie is staying. It was one of my worries that he would be the casualty in this process. One thought though is that Mikel is giving players a clean slate but Freddie has just publicly shamed Ozil.

I think Ozil’s response and handling of this will tell us all we need to know about what he can or cannot do for us over the next season and a half. Freddie is right, and if Ozil acknowledges that then we can move on, but if he bears any grudge against Freddie for saying that then he is a lost cause.

Thanks for the post Rasp. I don’t watch AFTV as it doesn’t do anything for me or enlighten me in any way. I would rather be in disagreement with esteemed bloggers on here, because at least you get a reasoned argument that will sometimes change your stance.

Having said that they had a right to exist (past tense relevant). One thing that hasn’t been mentioned is why they have become so prolific and talked about. Obviously they thrive on controversy and to an extent all media outlets seek this like an extreme addiction; it is what the modern media is about, and not exclusive to AFTV.

They exist because the Kroenke regime has been a disaster and has taken us to new lows through poor management and (what I believe to be) a distinct lack of affinity with this club as a successful sporting institution. Mediocrity has been the accepted norm for Kroenke as long as the wheels weren’t totally falling off and the finances looked healthy.

That said I am never one to dwell on the past if the regime is getting its act together and things are turning a corner. Draw a line under past misdemeanors by all means, but don’t forget them because the regime is still on report for those failings. We shouldn’t conveniently ignore these historical failings and rewrite history but at the same time if the regime script a better future then they will become a distant memory for me.

Not quite yet though because I am still unsure whether there has been a change of heart of if the apparent stronger involvement of the Kroenkes recently is just temporary disaster management before returning to an acceptable mediocrity.

In short AFTV doesn’t exist, at least not in its current guise, without the failing of the Kroenke regime. The reason I used past tense earlier for Robbies outlet is because I believe it should cease to exist now. Not because of the outrageous angle it takes but because of Robbies cheap use of the racism card, which I was not aware of. That demeans true racism and its fight so is a far bigger crime than all the outrageous clips they put up, and should see a call for him to cease to exist for using a serious issue like this for his own personal gain.

36. Blitzen says:

It’s not like they only report the negative, it’s just most people only watch Aftv when they lose