Arsenal’s Century Club – Robin van Persie

Nineteen players have achieved the feat of scoring 100 goals for the Club over the past 96 years. The players are sorted by the number of games taken to reach the 100 goal mark. Robin van Persie sits at number 13.

Robin van Persie was born in Rotterdam, Netherlands. The son of two artists, he was encouraged to follow in his parents’ footsteps, but he preferred football.

He joined Dutch side SBV Excelsior’s youth squad at the age of 14 years, but left at the age of 15 and signed for Feyenoord. He was quickly promoted into the first team due to injury problems among the squad, and made his debut for the club at 17, which was the first of 15 total starts. He received the KNVB Best Young Talent award at the end of the 2001–02 season and then signed a professional three-and-a-half-year contract the following season.

Clashes with his manager Bert van Marwijk saw him demoted to the reserve squad, he finished his tumultuous debut season on the first team, making a total of 28 appearances and scoring eight goals, in addition to finishing runner-up in the KNVB Cup. Feyenoord unsuccessfully attempted to extend his contract during the off-season. His deteriorating relationship with van Marwijk led to his spending most of the 2003–04 season on the bench. He again played 28 matches, but finished with two fewer goals than the previous season.

Unveiling at Highbury

On 17 May 2004, Robin signed a four-year deal with Arsenal for £2.75 million, just over half of Feyenoord’s original asking price of £5 million. Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger, who planned to convert him from a left winger to a centre forward, said of his new acquisition, “He can play on the left side of midfield, as a creative player behind the main strikers or as a target man. Robin spent most of his time on the bench during earlier parts of the 2004–05 season, and made his competitive debut on 27 October by scoring Arsenal’s opening goal in a 2–1 League Cup win over Manchester City.

He was sent off for the first time, in an Arsenal shirt, on 26 February against Southampton, following a lunge at left back Graeme Le Saux, for which Wenger was seen yelling an obscenity at him from the sidelines. He then later lambasted him in the press stating “I do not support Van Persie today” Telegraph sportswriter Clive White described Van Persie in his match report as “21 going on nine.” He was consequently benched for a number of games, starting with Arsenal’s FA Cup replay against Sheffield United, and he was reintroduced into the squad only after Henry was out with a calf injury, his return to the first team saw him score twice in a FA Cup semi-final win over Blackburn Rovers. The rest of his season was cut short by injury, and he finished with ten goals in 41 appearances in all competitions.

Robin’s good form at the start of the 2005–06 season earned him the Player of the Month award for November 2005 after eight goals in eight starts, and he was rewarded with a five-year contract extension until 2011. Two days after signing the contract, however, he was once again hit by injury when an opponent stepped on his foot and broke his toe during an FA Cup match.

The beginning of the 2006–07 season included an airborne volley against Charlton Athletic that Arsene called “the goal of a lifetime” and he was later named BBC Sport’s Goal of the Month for September, and he capped off the calendar year by being named the 2006 Rotterdam Sportsman of the Year. His season, however, ended early for the second time in his career on 21 January, when he fractured the fifth metatarsal in his right foot.

After the departure of Thierry Henry he assumed the role as Arsenal’s main striker. Following a streak of seven goals in ten regular-season games, he was sidelined for two months with a knee injury suffered on international duty. He made his comeback in Arsenal’s Champions League group stage on 12 December and made his Premier League return in the win against Chelsea over the weekend. However, he picked up a recurrent injury that kept him sidelined until January when he played 45 minutes in a League Cup game against Tottenham Hotspur. He was withdrawn at half-time following another injury scare and featured sporadically throughout the rest of the campaign. The following season (2008–09) he was named as the Arsenal.com Player of the Season.

With only one year remaining of his contract, it was announced in July that he had signed a new long-term contract with his club, stating, “My heart is with Arsenal and I just can’t picture myself in a different shirt.”

On 14 November 2009, he injured his ankle in an international friendly and was initially expected to be out for six weeks, but further tests showed that he would be out for five months. Before the start of the 2010–11 season, his squad number was changed to number 10. He made his 200th appearance in August but an ankle injury suffered in the game placed him on the sidelines once again. He returned as a substitute for Arsenal’s 0–1 defeat to Newcastle United on 7 November. On 1 January 2011, he scored his first goal of the season in a 3–0 away win over Birmingham City. On 15 January, he added two more goals to his tally in a comfortable 3–0 win over West Ham. This made him only the fourth Dutchman to reach 50 goals in England’s top division.

Robin scored his first career hat-trick in a 3–0 win over Wigan Athletic on 22 January and two goals against Newcastle United in a 4–4 draw on 5 February. Continuing his fine form, he hit a brace the following week against Wolverhampton Wanderers scoring both Arsenal goals in a 2–0 win including a volley from inside the box. The ten goals he scored between 1 January and 12 February set a new Premier League record for most goals scored in the first two months of a calendar year.

He set the Emirates alight with a goal from an almost impossible angle in Arsenal’s fight back against Barcelona in the UEFA Champions League Round of 16 which ended 2–1 in favour of the Gunners. On 27 February 2011, Van Persie captained Arsenal at Wembley Stadium in the League Cup final, scoring the first half equalizer for the Gunners. It was his first goal at Wembley and his first in a cup final for Arsenal. However, he was later taken off in the second half with a knee injury he picked up while scoring the goal. He was voted as the second best player of the 2010–11 season on Arsenal’s official website and also received the team’s Goal of the Season award for his audacious strike in the 2–1 victory over Barcelona in the Champions League.

RvP celebrates the equaliser against Barca in February 2011 credit AFC.com

Having been appointed vice-captain for the 2010–11 season, he was promoted to club captain at the start of the 2011–12 season. He finished the season as the top goal-scorer in the Premier League with 30 goals, and became Arsenal’s 8th all-time top scorer with 132 goals.

On 4 July 2012, he announced that he would not be signing a new contract with Arsenal.

Finally after a series of rumours he was transferred to Manchester United for a reported £22.5 million. Supporters of Manchester United voted Van Persie as the Sir Matt Busby Player of the Year for the 2012–13 season. He was transferred to Fenerbahce in 2015 before returning to his first senior club Feyenoord in January 2018. At both clubs, and in the dying embers of his career, he continued to score at nearly a goal every other game.

He owed so much to Arsene Wenger for converting him from left winger to centre forward (much in the same fashion as Thierry Henry) but repaid Wenger by deserting Arsenal Football Club after his best ever season of 2011/12.

His 100th goal was his 2nd of the game in a 2-0 win against Sunderland on Oct 16th, 2011 at Highbury.

GunnerN5

80 Responses to Arsenal’s Century Club – Robin van Persie

Many thanks, GN5.

Some of these 100 club chaps make up quite a fine Rogues Gallery!

Ah, Brave Sir Robin ……

5. Sue says:

Omg.. what a start to the day…it has just dawned on me, what I’m going to have to endure at work today (& for the rest of my life) thanks Barca 👌 for the 2nd year running I’m going to have to watch Liverpool in the CL final 🙈😭
    And to finish it off, the article today is about RVP 😡 (sorry GN5, I know you put a lot of hard work into your articles.. and usually I really like them.. so please forgive me) I know he’s part of our history (unfortunately) but this is one man I cannot stand… seeing those pictures of him makes my blood boil! Urgh…..
    The Sir Robin clip was hilarious chas, thanks for that 👍

Sue
    It was my decision to put GN5’s Brave Sir Robin post up today, so blame me.

Straight to the chase —— Liverpool were absolutely brilliant last night!!!!!

The crowd helped pull them through and the rendition of ‘You Will Never Walk Alone’ was powerful and really moving!!

Cannot help saying this — that ‘Pool team was everything that the Arsenal team are not. Skilful, Pacey, Committed and Gutsy …… and fantastic.

Had someone drugged the Barca team? As good as ‘Pool were, Barca were amazingly poor — even the admirable Messi, who was kept under lock and key by the tactically astute ‘Pool defence and midfield who smothered him whenever the ball went near him.

Arsenal have a mountain to climb!

Perhaps our counter song to Carousel’s You Will Never Walk Alone should be The Sound of Music’s Edelweiss.

Come on now:-

Edelweiss Edelweiss
    Every morning you greet me
    Small and white
    Clean and bright
    You look happy to meet me

Blossom of snow may you bloom and grow
    Bloom and grow forever
    Edelweiss Edelweiss
    Bless my Arsenal forever

Now, where’s that bloody mountain!!

[Not quite the same — but our lads need some help] 🤪

GN5/Chas

The quality of the Post is great, as usual, thank you, but I agree with Sue, Pugh and Barney McGrue — Van Persie is another example of how we seem doomed to self destruct with our best player’ contracts, even if they are creeps. 😩

There is a horrible feeling lurking at the back of my mind and I am having to get tough with my gremlins enthusiastically enquiring if they should get ready to be unkind to everyone if Valencia decide to copy ‘Pool and crush Arsenal.

Lawdy, lawdy — life can be a struggle.

10. LBG says:

No 1 Scum bag who had one good full season for us and then went to the team who were “always his favourite as a boy” and won the League for purple nose and Manure. No…I dont like him!
    Great effort GN5 but when are you going to show us another 100 goalscorer who wasn’t a traitor? If its Sanchez next, I’m out!

On another not unrelated point. When will we again see the passion, commitment, complete determination to leave everything on the pitch, that Liverpool showed last night, in our own beloved Arsenal?

11. LBG says:

Having seen a whole team of 10/10s last night, I was reminded of a conversation with Ant in the pub before the Brighton game. My question was how many players in each of the top six Clubs can you say are reliably 8/10 or better in quality?

GN5. Thank you.

My memories of Brave Sir Robin are summed up in the two pics in the post – his laughable trousers when he was introduced at Highbury and the wonder goal at Charlton. The man had fantastic technique and when on form was unplayable.

But … Injuries, attitude, MU 😦

What can you expect from the son of Dutch Intellectuals?

6.48. Hilarious

LBG. Good question.

MC – the whole squad. Liverpool ditto.

Arsenal? Less than half of them.

It is not just a question of quality. Milner and Henderson do not have the technique or vision of Ozil but who would you pick in an important game?

15. JM says:

The Top 3 Arsenal FC centurions in goals/games played should be among the group of Jack Lambert, Reg Lewis, Joe Baker & Ian Wright.

@GunnerN5 (in your own free time and to fill up future blog posts, thanks)

Query 1: How many of our players have made 100 assists or more (what is their assists/games played rate)?
    Query 2: Who are our Top 10 midfielders in regards to the number of goals scored/ number of games played?

16. LBG says:

Raddy
    We felt, at best, 3…..and I personally am not sure you can (still)say it of Kos, or consistently of Aubang.

Thanks GN5. Another great and well researched post. BSR had great talent but is no Arsenal legend for me.

With his injury record for which he was still handsomely paid for and the minimal playing time we got from him I think a debt of repayment was due from him once he started to get his injury free period.

But no, he didn’t feel he owed the club or AW any debt for sticking by him through his injuries and only did what was right for him. Many would say that was his right, and I don’t disagree but it smacks of a lack of values and feels like he shafted us and jumped ship despite the club sticking with him through his darker injury laden days.

We may have won something in that time without his injuries so you would think he would have stayed and tried to help us after that.

Morning all,

These posts are about the Century Club and not our heroes or legends. When I put these posts together I have to put my personal feelings on hold and write about the subject matter.

Personally I only judge players based on their time at Arsenal but I knew that this post would get a negative reaction.

JM @8:21

In terms of “hide and seek” you are barely warm.

20. allezkev says:

David Herd, Frank Stapleton, Robin Van Persie, Alexis Sanchez, I can see a bit of a pattern here…

Great work GN5, as for RVP, I never hated him, not in the way I despised Stapleton, maybe it’s a generational thing?

Liverpool showed the sort of spirit, energy, desire, passion and self belief that is intoxicating to watch. They hunted Barcelona down in packs and gave then no time to play their brand of football. The crowd were even more amazing and put on a show of support and love that helped to drive their team on.

Regardless of personal affiliations there was nothing that could not be admired.

I just wish I could say the same thing about Arsenal and our home crowd – but sadly…………………………

22. Sue says:

I’d love to have that sort of atmosphere at the Emirates… I think the last time I saw anything like it was the 3-0 win against Chelsea a few seasons back – now that was amazing!
    When I’m at the Emirates.. as I’m not a season ticket holder, I move around a lot.. the woman I sat next to at the Palace game was only bothered with WhatsApp on her phone & admiring her nails. Then against Brighton, I was gobsmacked at the amount of people who came in 10 minutes after the game had started… to then get up 10 minutes before half time.. then appear again 10 minutes into the 2nd half & then leave before the game had ended!! I mean come on what’s that all about!!
    I think the Emirates is full of the prawn sandwich brigade.. 😔

Sue,

I’m astonished at the level of pure apathy displayed by the Arsenal crowd, mind you it’s never been the same as Anfield, even when I was a kid, but it was never apathetic like it is today. I’ve been fortunate enough to watch two games at Anfield and it was an incredible experience, the singing is inspiring in itself.

We are in desperate need of having supporters placed at strategic points around the Emirates to act as cheer leaders and try to awaken the dead among the crowd.

Hi all, picking up on a common (possibly touchy) theme that does seem to do the rounds on here, this suggestion that our fans are all terrible, while Liverpool’s are all great, and further that it may be the main thing that has been determining the contrasting progress or lack thereof between the 2 clubs recently, I think is somewhat wide of the mark.

I think in life it is always important to try and put oneself in someone else’s shoes if we are going to criticise them, especially if your situation is very different from theirs.

Now I am not aiming this as a slur on anyone because this blog is great for its diversity from all corners of the globe, but if you are an Arsenal fan currently living on the other side of the world (or at least not living in the immediate area) then your support follows a very different pathway to a season ticket holder that lives in the heart of North London or thereabouts.

Undoubtedly there are some never happy whatever we do fans at the Emirates. Then there are probably some fans that will not get overly upset with the club whatever happens. Then there will be some in between. Personally I think no different to many other clubs, especially the bigger clubs that have traditionally tasted success.

Firstly the regular Emirates crowd are committing a lot of time to this hobby and passion as well as a significant amount of money. Without their time and financial commitment the club would be somewhat devoid of status and funds. Then you have to ask yourself what it is like to go into an office with a load of Spurs fans grinning and gloating at you, which I am assuming doesn’t happen as much the further away from North London you reside geographically.

Now for me the club and all the hierarchy from the manager up to the owner have overseen us going backwards in the last few years, without seemingly much interest or self reflection in making positive changes.

In 2014 we were being referenced as the club that was at the start of an exciting new era, the club to be at. Ex Liverpool players were stating that you would go to Arsenal rather than Liverpool. Since then we have transitioned through ceasing the progress, to standing still or treading water, to then going backwards. All the while Liverpool, and arguably even Spurs, that were behind us have not just caught us but gone past us.

In Liverpool’s case they have soared past us and the club has shown ambition in its progression as a footballing side in pursuit of trophies. There are many positive noises coming out of Liverpool while the noises coming out of the (hierarchy) at our club seem quite unambitious and even slightly negative.

If you were that fan investing that time and that money, and then spending 5 days a week in the office with the Spurs fans, how would you feel with these recent thumping’s by mid table sides and how the club are progressing and the ambition being shown?

Even in bad periods I have heard the Emirates get up for and behind the team in big games. Similarly I have spoken to a couple of Liverpool fans who have told me that through bad periods their crowd would go quiet in some games, and get annoyed at the team and manager, particularly through the Hicks and Gillett period.

I don’t think there is such a huge difference as is being made out, and I certainly don’t think the fans all being bad fans is the reason for our league and CL performances in recent seasons.

Maybe we are about to go through our own Hicks and Gillett period with Kroenke, and I would look more there for where we may be falling behind.

25. Aaron says:

GN5 and Chas,

Enjoy the theme of these posts. Recurring theme the Arsenal have here too, not a good one.

Scumbag to the max, Arsene built that guys career and he took the first chance he could get and went to our rival. Along with 26 goals to help them go to the top of the league which surely would have been the Arsenal as they were only 6 points from the top. That is 2 games and 6 points, for sure he would have contributed to 2 more wins and goal difference easily.

Do not know if this happens over the pond in futbol, but here in the states the younger generation, under 30, are not really following teams anymore but players. Could this be happening over there too?
    Cult of personality, and rise of social media contribute highly to this recent phenomena.

It goes without saying GB that not only are we on opposite sides of the Atlantic Ocean we are also an ocean apart on this topic.

My belief is that I’ve seen more home games live than the majority of AA bloggers. Of course it was in different decades with totally different supporters. I was exposed to a far more volatile experience than many of today’s supporters. Prior to supporter segregation we intermingled with the away visitors and it was far from pleasant – fortunately I was always among 20/25 relatives but even that did not exclude us from problems.

I feel that the main difference is in the type of supporter, back in the day it was mainly local tradesmen who wore flat caps and hob nail boots – we were there to yell and cheer and to support our team through thick and thin.

Today it is more of a middle class level of supporter and in many cases it’s business class guests who comprise a great deal of the crowd and they seem to believe they should be entertained and do not have a role to play in enhancing the performance.

This is how I see support (with the help of my thesaurus) –

To keep from yielding, sinking or losing courage or stability.
    To bolster, buoy, sustain – ENCOURAGE.

Those who want to be entertained can go and see a show in the West End those who want to SUPPORT can go to the Emirates.

Booing, moaning and groaning because the customer believes the entertainment is substandard is for the West End theaters and not the Emirates.

In my opinion a good supporter is judged by how much money you spend and how much time you spend getting behind your team.

GB I have 100% respect for you but as I stated we are oceans apart on this issue.

GB. Great comment.

I have been both – a North London ST holder and currently a distant fan who despairs at a lack of a coherent policy within the club. The appointment and subsequent departure of Mislintat summed up the off-pitch problems at the club.

I don’t love this current Arsenal and if I were a young lad looking to support a London club AFC would not be my choice. I hate to write that …

For much of my life L’pool have been a terrific club with passionate fans and I applaud them for thier wonderful season.

We are in the mire at present but at least we are not Man Utd who despite massive investment are worse than us 😀

28. Sue says:

GB.. I know your comment wasn’t aimed at anyone inparticular, I just wanted to share what I’d seen recently. I’m not saying all of our fans are terrible..(although i wasn’t too keen on the guy hurling abuse at our players at the Cardiff game.. using the C word is a definite no no in my book) I get that the majority of them (myself included) have been disappointed & frustrated with what we’ve witnessed lately.. so I can understand the moans & groans… what I don’t understand is, what I said above about missing half the game etc..you pay good money to go & watch a game (your team) I don’t understand why people don’t watch the whole game.. some seem more interested in the alcohol… and to leave before the game has finished is like leaving the cinema before the film has ended!

An Oops from my 3:39

This sentence should read —-

In my opinion a good supporter is NOT judged by how much money you spend BUT how much time you spend getting behind your team.

No problems GN5 and Sue. As I said I don’t aim this at anyone in particular as I know a few people on the blog feel that about our fans vs other fans. We are not the only club to boo at times but I actually feel that the boos, barring a couple of occasions, are boos of frustration aimed at the club as a whole rather than just the players. I think it is as much aimed at an absent owner that hasn’t convinced at all in his aspirations for the club (on the playing side) and is yet to show this.

Anfield indeed is a cauldron for the right game under the right circumstances. There are certain games though that this happens with us in bigger games even this season and last season, but the club are not really serving up these games to get excited about that much anymore so we aren’t seeing it so often.

I remain hopeful that UE will turn out to be the right one and that we will progress into a new more hopeful period where you at least get the feeling the club is looking to ambitiously progress. Part of me has a bad feeling about Kroenke though, but we will see what happens and how much the manager is backed.

Since I wrote that longer comment I ironically was with a Liverpool fan for a bit that now lives down here but attended Anfield regularly. He told me that Roy Hodgson was regularly booed as he entered the fray, and that they weren’t that keen on Rodgers either and let that be known in a less than silent ways at times.

I guess all I am trying to say is that I don’t believe it is that black and white regarding our fans vs others, but do recognise the validity of the criticism of our fans at times. I certain don’t feel this encompasses every fan that attends the Emirates which is how it is often portrayed, as if it is an entire collective thing running through the entire Emirates crowd, and I don’t believe it has much bearing on how Liverpool have progressed in recent seasons compared to us.

For me many of our loyal fans are being unfairly misrepresented and tagged as a one size fits all.

31. Sue says:

How stomach-churning will that be if the spuds do progress? For me, it’s bad enough just seeing Dele Alli’s face 😫 but if they go onto win… oh my… this could be a disastrous week
    Come on Ajax

Sue, I guess the season ticket holders have already paid regardless. If they are seeing a lot of games and they are witnessing crap they will may not seem as interested.

Some may also live in lets say Kent (as a pure hypothetical example) and the trains are more sporadic. They can get a 10.30pm or wait till the 12.30am train, but I can guarantee you if we start to show the progress and commitment in the team that we witnessed last night in a game of that magnitude then said fan, be it wife or husband (my p.c bit) then they will be ringing and saying sorry love I won’t be home till 2.00am, don’t wait up.

The Vines are the most dedicated I know but are a rare breed not just among Arsenal fans but all fans IMO.

33. Aaron says:

Sue,
    Why did you even think that out loud?…geeez
    Ajax will do what is customary- knock their dreams out cold!

34. Sue says:

Aaron… well I wasn’t expecting them to beat City! Do I jinx it & say what I’m thinking? Nah I’ll wait till after the game!
    I sure as hell hope you’re right

GB,

Dedication to support a club is not exclusive to home supporters, I have been fortunate enough to have met many Arsenal fans over the years and although we live hundreds of mile apart (in all different directions) we all meet up at a pub in a central location for all of the meaningful games – which are few and far between these days.

My best friends are either Liverpool, Everton or Man U supporters, we helped to create a following of literally hundreds of supporters from the Toronto area, the pub usually overflows on game days. I’ve moved a few hundred miles away but still make sure I’m at the key games.

These are avid supporters who spend a lot of money on getting to and from the pub, but regardless of the outcome nary a boo is heard.

Well what a zinger of classy comments today, regarding the fans of ‘Pool and Arsenal.

I do not see any merit in choosing which comments to swing behind, because there is an element of truth in all of those I have read — it is all a matter of perspective.

So this is my view.

As a one time ST holder for some years at Highbury, I loved the fervour and the passion of the fans when the team ‘clicked’ and the nectar of love for the team and individual players flowed, and the wit and camaraderie enclosed us all.

Better fans than that? Not in my book.

But on other days, the team all seemed to be playing in someone else’s boots, without studs, and that passion for the team worked against them.

You always hurt the one you love if you think that love is not reciprocated. You know what I mean. A severe case of the sulks – not talking – being abusive – just like other fans through out the world.

But Highbury was derided as ‘the Library’ and I guess it sometimes was when the ‘miseries’ enveloped the crowd, but when the fun, the effortless wit, the singing “we are the North Bank” was answered by “we are the Clock End” – the West Stand – the East Stand there could be no better place to have been.

I loved it — the sense of belonging at Highhbury, and the pride spreading thru every pore of my body — so was it a library? Was it bow locks!!

These same fans became the fans at the Emirates – just as full of passion, just as mercurial when things did not go well.

But there was more. The Emirates was not Highbury. Not only was it far bigger, it did not contain the noise of the cheering, singing fans in the same way.
    There was a bloody big hole in the ‘roof’ of the Ems that sucked the sound out.

Anfield ‘contains’ the sound, amplifies it, caresses it, and pushes it back to the fans, and goads them into putting even more heart into their songs — all this helped by a fantastic bit of luck when the fans ‘owned’ that brilliant song; “When you walk through a storm, hold your head up high, and don’t be afraid of the dark” — magic.

The Royal Albert Hall was redeveloped many years ago ‘source courtesy of BBC channel 4’ and it was magnificent – but the sound was crap – which for music lovers was just not acceptable, so it was redesigned with ‘mushrooms suspended at ceiling height, which reflected the sound down and around, and everyone loved it again.

The Ems is rather like the RAH prior to the mushrooms, and many of the hierarchy knew it, but did nothing about it.

The Spuds architects have learned from that, and I’m afraid the Spud fans in their new stadium are going to seem to out sing us. And they have already started to do that. Better fans than us? In a cow’s ass they are!

So, in short (well a GoonerB version of ‘short’) I think you may all be right and wrong.

Human beings are tricky critters – but look for the inanimate surroundings and you might have second thought about us not giving the team due support — it wuz all the fault of the flipping architects!! 😇

[And if you listen closely – you will still hear Sue, Pugh and Barney McGrue belting it out with the best of ’em!! ]. 😂👍

37. Sue says:

GB.. yes I agree with you about the S/T holders.. if I had one, I’d be gutted too, at some of the performances. I’m a red member, so pick & choose when I go, also use the ticket exchange. Needless to say I haven’t been very impressed when Elneny/Lichtsteiner have played! (once again, you can’t please everyone)
    Also, I wouldn’t want to miss the last train home, would hate to be stranded in London… but I was on about Sunday late afternoon/early evening.. i know a guy who says this happens a lot where he sits too…
    I also know a guy (from another blog, he’s 73) and travels down from Scotland to every home game… now that is dedication – he has my utmost respect 👍

Sue,

This early exit from the stadium by some fans, used to happen at Highbury too, and with the continual changes to game dates and times for TV makes life very difficult for fans catching trains at weird times, as Gooner B Good said.

In my case, I often got to the stadium at the last minute, straight from work, and not having time to eat, so if we were playing like we have against Crystal Palace, stomach needs beat watching crap for 5 or 10 minutes more

I have no problem with that.

It is easy to watch from the comfort of a TV room, with a beer or two, and then turning over to another channel after the game, and in recent years that is what I have done more often than not. 😀

Games which do not involve Arsenal on TV, show that it is exactly the same at other clubs, with fans sloping off early, if their teams are being larruped — so it is not just us.

39. Sue says:

Ok RA… the king has spoken 😂😂
    Anyhow please excuse me, as I have a tendency to waffle..

Don’t mention waffles Sue when RA is hungry and hasn’t had dinner.

RA I think I understood what you said, but its a tad tricky with your stomach rumbling.

Sue, I am actually not a season ticket holder either so weirdly I am not sticking up for me but more those many season ticket holders I know. Talking to many of them allows me to gauge their feelings. I don’t think any of the ones I know would boo but probably have a little moan, and I think a lot of them have become somewhat disillusioned with the club as a whole in recent years.

It is a bit of everything rather than 1 player or just the manager which is why I would suggest the boo’s (probably only a few fans) are actually a protest about the whole way the club has been run under Kroenke and where they feel it is heading. I personally believe we have the wrong owner but would love to be proven wrong.

GN5, even as a non season ticket holder I still manage to get to quite a few games, although not so many this year, but have seen many more games in the pub. I have never heard boos in any pub ever, only the stadium.

Why? Probably because it means nothing to boo in a pub even if you are appalled by our performance, which is why I surmise that the boo’s are an all round protest in the stadium because that is the only place and way that these fans feel they can let the club know they are not happy. Some of those doing them are likely more aiming it at the board and owner than anything else.

As I said, I have had it from the horse’s mouth that Liverpool have not been immune to it in more unhappy periods. I like RA’s explanation and feel there is a lot of merit in what he says with acoustics.

GN5, please don’t think I would call into question your dedication as a supporter, or any of the other bloggers who are supporting from further afield, and of course I perfectly respect your opinion.

It was more a defence of the Emirates regulars, who aren’t all perfect by any means, but I feel are (as a body of fans) being slightly misrepresented, all tarred with the same brush, and are becoming a bit of a scapegoat for our failures at times.

My personal view about where we are right now is that we could have been so much stronger as a team and club but have made some very bad choices over the last 5 years. Hopefully we can start to put things on the right pathway this summer moving into next season.

Anyway COYRRAJAXER’s

GB,

I don’t think you will get a response from Sue — she is probably hiding behind the sofa in case the Spuds score. 😜

2 : 0 Yaaay — you can come out Sue!!! 😂

43. Sue says:

GB… well it’s understandable with how the club has been run…. one good thing was Gazidis going… but Stan…😩
    Said it all on Sunday when Chips came on the screen & the boos rang out!

I love you Ajax…. oh the spuds don’t like a semi final do they? I believe they’ve lost their last 8 😉

Oh dear, it’s happened again

45. Sue says:

I’m loving what I’m seeing RA…just not when Alli comes on the screen 😂 and that kit – gross!

Anyway, GB, back to what I was going to say — you are correct, in my opinion, about our recruitment in the last 5 years — and probably before that — when our best players have either moved on, for personal reasons, or simply got too old – like Kozzer/Licht/Cech/Monreal et al, and we never seem to replace them with similar quality players — and neither do we properly blood some of our kids in the way Manure, Citeh, ‘Pool and the Spuds do and bring them into the team, other than a late substitution, or two.

Funny those clubs above are all playing better than us – I wonder why?

47. Sue says:

I had a crap start to the day & those considerate spuds have made sure it ends on a high….. thank you 😂😂😂

48. fatgingergooner says:

Surely the fans are just a direct reflection of what the club are achieving at that time? Did we have poor fans when we were invincible and winning trophies? Of course not, because the atmosphere around the club was electric. Liverpool are in a good place right now and the early goal yesterday made the fans believe. If it had been 0-0 for half an hour with Barca looking comfortable I imagine it would’ve been pretty flat in Anfield.

Having said that, there are times when the team needs a lift from the fans during games and it seems the Emirates struggles to raise the players. Maybe some more rousing songs are needed rather than just a short, sharp ‘‘Arsenal, Arsenal’’.

2-0 Ajax. Lovely. If they see this through they could be heading to the CL Final looking for a treble and with confidence sky high. They look fantastic.

49. fatgingergooner says:

Oh dear!

50. Sue says:

Ok now I’m worried….

Good comment Slim, a bit of air needed to be taken out of the Liverpool love in.

52. fatgingergooner says:

Spurs are going to nick this aren’t they!?

Interesting chat on fans and perceptions, and I know Liverpool fans did suffer during some eras, the point I made yesterday that soon after arrival Klopp called them out on it:

“It is not a problem to lose a game. It happens in football but we have to learn,” said Klopp. “If we learn, we decide how strong we are, how good we are, how awake we are and how tired we are. Nobody else. We played on Thursday [at Rubin Kazan in the Europa League] but I decide if I am tired, nobody else. Today we needed a few minutes to come into the game. It was not enough. If everyone thinks we gave everything, then it is wrong.
    “After the goal on 82 minutes, with 12 minutes to go, I saw many people leaving the stadium. I felt pretty alone at this moment. We decide when it is over. Between 82 and 94 [minutes] you can make eight goals if you like.“

Almost the next game Liverpool and back from behind in the dying minutes with a full stadium.

As Sue says above (and sorry I haven’t read all replies) to pay all that money the highest prices in English football as we are consistently told and to leave early is hard to see. To see players at the end of games that result in wins, draws or losses is hard to watch. Yes in the big games we stay to the end, but too too rarely. Spuds made a good decision choosing navy blue seats, the empty ones are less noticeable

Emery when he arrived promised a better relationship with fans, promised to give us something to cheer again, but the minute we as fans/supporters decided it wasn’t worth it he had the opportunity to call us out, and maybe should have.

I know there are many on this forum who stay until the end. I know there are many who won’t hear a bad word said about fans but will stick it to the club (maybe justifiably).

But if the supporters aren’t prepared to stand up for the team and club why would the team put it all on the line for them? No one talks my club down to me, yes we have a moan between ourselves but if a Spuds fan tells me they are better I’ll point to all the reasons they are not, call them lucky etc etc

Now come on Ajax f’ing hold on to this lead!!!

54. fatgingergooner says:

No way

55. Sue says:

😭😭😭

56. fatgingergooner says:

Urgh! What a horrible week of football so far, no doubt rounded off by us going out tomorrow.

Awful!

57. Jjgsol says:

I can see what is going to happen.

Arsenal, the only one of the 4 in the semi finals that won the first leg will be the only one of the 4 not to get to the final.

58. jjgsol says:

I can see it already.

We were the only ones of the 4 to win the first leg and we will be the only one of the 4 that does not get to the final.

Excellent comments from FGG and GIE. Bit of a 2 way street really. Fans need to support, and the club need to at least show they are trying to create something worth supporting………..and……..oh shit…….time to become a Liverpool fan Sue no matter how much it may hurt.

60. Aaron says:

That is why you play the game.
    Dang- now one of those 2 clubs is going to add one of the shiniest pieces of silverware to their cabinet.
    I guess if I have to choose, it would be poo or the Arsenal will never hear the end of it.

61. Sue says:

Oh GB that hurts! This really is my worst nightmare! It was bad enough watching that 2nd half, even worse listening to Jermaine Jenas commentating 🤢 then when that goal went in, ouch! 😔 gutted..I don’t think I can bring myself to watch that final 😄
    I honestly can’t believe it… I’m soooo worried about tomorrow now…

62. Sue says:

Bloody hell, Aaron! Stomach-churning or what?!

FFS, my day is completely ruined.

GB- all is cool with me my friend, I always respect your viewpoint.

64. Aaron says:

Looked at my screen and saw injury time put up and had the worst feeling. It happened again.
    If the Warriors don’t win tonight my colleagues will have a very grumpy co-worker tomorrow.
    That is the beauty of following more than one sport.
    But, really, I truly only care how the Arsenal do, and really feel our club is going nowhere fast and for awhile.
    See Arseblog and 7amkickoff for the reasons, and they are threefold.

Sue, the best we can hope for is an Arsenal win tomorrow, an Arsenal win in the final, a pool win in the final, a clearing out in the summer, a director of scouting hired, a few new shiny pieces, and stan the man selling our club before the start of next season.

65. Sue says:

Aaron.. Warriors – NBA??
    Yes all of that would be great, but let’s be realistic – Stan ain’t going anywhere!

Great stuff GN5

I would really like to talk about Van Persie but unfortunately he reminds me of my lUncle Dionysius back home in Crete. Suspected of crimes against local Goats, he was eventually shunned and spent the rest of his life in exile, He also had a life time restraining order on wool.

What a terrible night. If they win the Champions League I too will seek exile. probably somewhere cold, so I guess the only consolation is I can still take my fleece.

How did it come to this? When we moved to the Grove we were promised we could compete with Bayern Munich? Now any one can beat them, except us.

Instead, those fools down the road are in the big final and finish above us every year. I use to yearn for us winning the Champions League. Now I know how Uncle Dionysius, who lives two miles from a sheep farm felt when he asked me to buy him some military style binoculars,

The only hope is we win the Europa and Liverpool beat them in the final. Its possible but at the moment it seems more like an unfulfilled dream, like Uncle Dionysius wishing he was Jason and covered in the Golden Fleece, I fear the worse.

Hi Terry,

Great to read your comments.

From an English point if view it would be great to see two all English European finals especially if Arsenal and Liverpool come away victorious. However it will be one of my worst experiences if that happens and the victors are Chelsea and Spurs.

The very thought of it will keep me up all night…………………..

68. oz gunner says:

fucking tots.

I turned off at half-time.

This is one of the days when I am so happy I no longer live in North London.

Fairplay to both Spurs and L’pool. Two amazing games and results.

I switched off when Ajax gifted the spuds the second goal. It was obvious what was coming and I certainly did not want to watch that.

Having eviscerated the discarded carcasses of both Barcelona and Ajax and examined their entrails, my suspicion is that the portents for tonight are bleak. What a hideous week of football so far!

Wake me up when this nightmare is over.

74. Sue says:

Thank god there aren’t any spuds at work! Can this week get any worse?? Oh wait….

The thought of the spuds lifting that trophy.. damn 🤢

75. LBG says:

Difficult to “believe” at a time like this! Can Dick, with his fractured English, motivate a group of players who have little confidence? Should HE need to? I believe Petr Cech may be the motivator here, both with words and performance. Anything else doesn’t bear thinking about.
    Of course Manshitty could get banned from European competition………..nah, we’d have to beat Burnley!!

Gloom …….. From Ukraine in the East, to LA in the West, a Gloom Curtain has come down on all us right thinking people.

Then I read Terry’s story at 11:46 pm about his goat bothering Uncle Dionysius and despite myself I laughed out loud, and then again.

Worked wonders! 😜

Made me think positive and realise that either ‘Pool or the Spuds will lose the CL Final. So, not all bad.

77. Sue says:

A lot of people are saying Liverpool will win, without a doubt… if the final was at Anfield then yes I’d totally agree… but as it’s not, anything can happen! It is just sinking in… they have a chance of winning it – something we’ve never achieved… that will be a very dark day indeed…. no more bragging (although it’s very limited now 😳)

Oh please Arsenal, don’t mess this up tonight COYG

I have been reading the collected works of Sir John Betjeman and came across this short poem. (Sir John was a committed Gooner and had a season ticket in the East Stand)

“”Bollocks,
    A bent referee with a new Gold Rolex
    A team in Red and White forlorn.
    The Skinny Cockerel’s miraculous march continues
    But will halt at the feet of the Liver Birds”

I .. am Sir John Betjeman

Skanky birds :

A strutting half-wit cockerel

Bin dipping, schizo Livers,

Agree the Final will be won

By the biggest bunch of divers

There is a New Post