Southampton FC was founded in 1885 and plays their home games at St. Mary’s Stadium. The stadium opened in 2001 and has a capacity of 32,589; it is the biggest stadium in the south of England, outside of London. The stadium was built to replace ‘The Dell’, where Southampton played between 1898 and 2001.
The club has been nicknamed “The Saints” since the club was founded in 1885. This is because it was founded as a church football team and was originally called St Mary’s Young Men’s Association. The club was renamed Southampton F.C. after the club won the Southern League in 1897, but the nickname has endured.
The current manager is Ralph Hasenhüttl who was appointed on 5 December 2018, succeeding Mark Hughes. His first game in charge was a 0–1 defeat at Cardiff City. His first win as Southampton’s manager came on 16 December in a 3–2 win at home to Arsenal ending the Gunners’ 4-month 22-match unbeaten run.
His record as a manager is –
Southampton have played in the Premier League for a total of 16 seasons, they have been relegated once, in 2004-05, but were promoted back to the Premier League in 2011/2012. They reached the Premier League after back to back promotions from the third and second divisions.
Our overall home record against the Saints is extremely solid, just 2 losses, and they have not managed a single win against us in the Premier League – the last time they won a game was a slender 1-0 victory at Highbury on November 21, 1987.
Memorable home fixtures against Southampton
23rd September 1995 – Arsenal 4 Southampton 2
The press had made a massive thing about our new £7.5m Dutch signing not scoring yet with September nearly over, in true clickbait style. After 17 minutes in glorious Highbury sunshine, their story was dead in the water and a new legend born. Glenn Helder sent a looping cross over to the far post and DB10 thumped a well-controlled volley into the far corner. Bould and Adams conjured a second with the near-post flick on routine, before Southampton sneaked two back before half-time. Dennis crashed in his superb swerving second to restore the lead in the 68th minute and Wrighty squeezed in a 4th a few minutes later.
7th May 2003 – Arsenal 6 Southampton 1
This double hat-trick game became the very first match in a sequence of 49 unbeaten, encompassing the tail end of 2002/3, the whole of 2003/4 and 9 games of the 2004/5 season. Jermaine Pennant scored his hat-trick inside 10 minutes in the first half and two for Robert Pires made it 5-1 at half-time. Bobby completed his hat-trick with the goal of the game, a sublime chip over the stranded Southampton keeper. Forty eight more Arsenal teams were to leave the field in the next 18 months without being beaten.
There is a 18.9% chance of a draw. In simulations where the game is not a draw Arsenal, at 71.5%, are heavy favourites to beat Southampton who have a 9.6% chance.
In simulation wins, Southampton upsets Arsenal by averaging 7.7 shots and 3.2 shots on goal. They average 1.7 goals in simulated victories vs just 0.4 in simulation losses. Overall, the average simulation score is Arsenal 2.2 to Southampton 0.6.
It is inconceivable that Ralph Hasenhüttl would become the first Southampton manager to have back to back home and away wins against us, therefore I foresee a resounding victory.