Arsenal FC – Our home record against the Saints

Southampton FC was founded in 1885 and plays their home games at St. Mary’s Stadium. The stadium opened in 2001 and has a capacity of 32,589; it is the biggest stadium in the south of England, outside of London. The stadium was built to replace ‘The Dell’, where Southampton played between 1898 and 2001.

The Dell – a ramshackle ground with great character

The club has been nicknamed “The Saints” since the club was founded in 1885. This is because it was founded as a church football team and was originally called St Mary’s Young Men’s Association. The club was renamed Southampton F.C. after the club won the Southern League in 1897, but the nickname has endured.

The current manager is Ralph Hasenhüttl who was appointed on 5 December 2018, succeeding Mark Hughes. His first game in charge was a 0–1 defeat at Cardiff City. His first win as Southampton’s manager came on 16 December in a 3–2 win at home to Arsenal ending the Gunners’ 4-month 22-match unbeaten run.

His record as a manager is –

Southampton have played in the Premier League for a total of 16 seasons, they have been relegated once, in 2004-05, but were promoted back to the Premier League in 2011/2012. They reached the Premier League after back to back promotions from the third and second divisions.

Our overall home record against the Saints is extremely solid, just 2 losses, and they have not managed a single win against us in the Premier League – the last time they won a game was a slender 1-0 victory at Highbury on November 21, 1987.

Memorable home fixtures against Southampton

23rd September 1995 – Arsenal 4 Southampton 2

The press had made a massive thing about our new £7.5m Dutch signing not scoring yet with September nearly over, in true clickbait style. After 17 minutes in glorious Highbury sunshine, their story was dead in the water and a new legend born. Glenn Helder sent a looping cross over to the far post and DB10 thumped a well-controlled volley into the far corner. Bould and Adams conjured a second with the near-post flick on routine, before Southampton sneaked two back before half-time. Dennis crashed in his superb swerving second to restore the lead in the 68th minute and Wrighty squeezed in a 4th a few minutes later.

Dennis Bergkamp celebrates scoring his goal for Arsenal with Ian Wright, Lee Dixon, Ray Parlour and Paul Merson. Highbury September 1995 by Stuart MacFarlane

7th May 2003 – Arsenal 6 Southampton 1

This double hat-trick game became the very first match in a sequence of 49 unbeaten, encompassing the tail end of 2002/3, the whole of 2003/4 and 9 games of the 2004/5 season. Jermaine Pennant scored his hat-trick inside 10 minutes in the first half and two for Robert Pires made it 5-1 at half-time. Bobby completed his hat-trick with the goal of the game, a sublime chip over the stranded Southampton keeper. Forty eight more Arsenal teams were to leave the field in the next 18 months without being beaten.

Match odds

There is a 18.9% chance of a draw. In simulations where the game is not a draw Arsenal, at 71.5%, are heavy favourites to beat Southampton who have a 9.6% chance.

In simulation wins, Southampton upsets Arsenal by averaging 7.7 shots and 3.2 shots on goal. They average 1.7 goals in simulated victories vs just 0.4 in simulation losses. Overall, the average simulation score is Arsenal 2.2 to Southampton 0.6.

It is inconceivable that Ralph Hasenhüttl would become the first Southampton manager to have back to back home and away wins against us, therefore I foresee a resounding victory.

GunnerN5

30 Responses to Arsenal FC – Our home record against the Saints

Thanks GN5

“The current manager is Ralph Hasenhüttl “…..you sure? 🙂

Until tomorrow’s pre-match at least.

Excellent once again, GN5.

Your charts and Chas’ Vid/pics make it look special too.

You are right to query the Southampton managers name as it does sound rather like a stage Germanic one.

Ralph Hasenhüttl —- complete with umlaut. Nice 😃

Unfortunately, I am becoming – or have already become a fair weather supporter in recent times.

A key part of my enjoyment (yup, I did type ‘enjoyment) is not only to support a successful team, or indeed even a team going thru purgatory from time to time, but to be entertained.

What I cannot stand is having to listen to/or read the comments of those whose main ‘enjoyment’ is to whinge because we lost, or we won but were ‘lucky’, or Özil did not play, or Özil played but did not try or ………. any other permutation that can be concocted.

Lamenting any of those things is understandable, I do myself partake occasionally, but such things do not have to become comparable to War and Peace and drag on interminably.

Others I know feel much the same way, and eventually just fade away from blogging/tweeting and enjoy supporting their team with friends and family from afar.

Damn! Now I have joined them — and am in danger of being debagged ….. altho, a little debagging never hurt anyone — much. 😜

RA

I’m not sure you were commenting on AA at the start of the season.
    Anyway you perhaps wouldn’t know that I jacked my season ticket at the end of last season.

The travelling was becoming a real chore at my age. I love going to the match on the train, but 5 to 6 hours in a car was far too knackering even though I wasn’t driving.

Just thought I’d let you know, as you seem to think I’m this great Arsenal supporter who travels over land and sea (and Leicester) to watch them play. I’m not and I don’t.

I’ve been to 6 games so far this season and tomorrow will be my seventh. Looking forward to it immensely.

Chas

Love the “at my age” approach to Arsenal supporting

A few years ago, I realised I was becoming a kind of impact fan 🙂

I certainly haven’t followed through with my best intentions, which were to go to appealing continental destinations and key home fixtures

Must get my shit together

The ‘at my age’ bit is true, Micky.

I was getting out of the car at 1 in the morning after an evening game, having sat for 3 hours and being barely able to walk.

My approach to choosing fixtures to go and see is train availability first and foremost. 3pm kick-offs not moved for TV are my best hope.

I’m not interested in seeing the category A games at 85 quid a pop (as they always get moved) either as it’s the match day fun I’m after, so Huddersfield and a £30 ticket suits me fine.

Our April TV games have just been announced and include two Monday night matches. Cosmic. All fixtures are subject to our further participation in the Europa which throws another spanner in the works.

Palace on Saturday April 20th is 3pm is the next one I was interested in, but it could get moved if we get through against Rennes which makes booking a train impossible.

9. TotalArsenal says:

Excellent stuff, GN5. Did not know why they were called the Saints until I read your well researched and worked post. Love that Pires space-orbiting goal – the sort of goal I regularly day-dream about.

Thanks Chas for the DB10 goals. What a relief that brought back then – he never looked back after that. Would love to see him back at Arsenal and work with our creative midfielders and attackers!

You, and Ant, are still my heroes Chas, as there is more to how I see you both as top supporters than how often or when you go to games. 😃

In truth I have always enjoyed the comments/photos jokes from the train en route to the home games you attended.

It is the case that I did not know you no longer have a season ticket, and if you told AAers at the beginning of the season about that, then I missed it, as I was rather more involved with hospital ‘incarceration’ 🥺 on and off for some weeks over the summer, eventually involving some scary surgery from which I am still recovering — and I never knew you had a season ticket anyway.

It seems my compliments about the Vines Boys trips to the Ems has somehow caused offence, for which I apologise.

No offence caused or taken.
    You’re imagining it, you sensitive little sausage. 🙂

Morning all,

RA. I would be deeply offended if he implied that I had a little sausage.

13. LBG says:

Dear GN5, you massive chipolata you!
    Fine quality post as always from ( one) of the Fathers of the House.
    Games against Southampton always take me back to 1988 and the great Paul Davis breaking Glen Cockerill’s jaw (irritating git) and getting his nine match ban, courtesy of BBC/ITV piece of grainy film. GG immediately banned both TV stations from live recording at Highbury! How things have changed! That game was one of the very few occasions I sat in the Lower Tier West Stand at the HOF.
    There is apparently on a Southampton site a full details description of that game and the incident from someone saying it was a game at the Dell! Good job we have so many experts on stats at AA.
    The Vines Boys will turn the volume up tomorrow in honour of the best blog in town!

It was a bit sly from Paul Davis regardless of the provocation.
    An unexpected punch will always do more damage – especially if the jaw is open, or so the Krays worked out with their ‘cigarette punch’.

I was at that game, loved Paul Davis’ football style, class, didn’t show the provocation I notice, funny that……………….

Spuds losing at Burnley.
    Fine start to a sporting weekend.

Tut fick wonk

From the BBC
    Has Tottenham’s title charge gone up in flames in the east Lancashire sunshine?

What feck in title charge?

It should have read “title sputter”

When they get close to the top (although rarely) they get their customary nose bleed.

Their fans have the audacity to consider their club as a “top team”. However most of them are not old enough to remember the last time they finished first in the league – 58 years ago soon to become 59.

What an embarrassment for a “top team”.

Levy must be pulling his hair out – oops he did that years ago.

Oh dear, not sure Sepp Blatter would be impressed

23. TotalArsenal says:

Chas, that actually is a great title and may indicate the journalist is on our side, or at least ‘in the know’. “Has Tottenham’s title charge gone up in flames in the east Lancashire sunshine?”. It is about that last word… sunshine. We all know that the Spuds thrive in moist and dark surroundings and that as soon as Spring starts announcing itself they start withering away. To rub it in further, the journo makes a link to a supposed title charge that he/she knows as much as us was never anywhere near reality. 😀

I have been watching a brilliant game of 6 Nations Rugby, France v Scotland.

Then I read AA and saw the Spuds were in trouble.

Just seen the final score and they have lost 1 : 2

Wow. Well done Burnley.

I hope England beat Wales now.

A diminutive sausage, GN5?

I’ll have you know a huuuuge Chorizo is more the thing. 😂

“The club has been nicknamed “The Saints” since the club was founded in 1885. This is because it was founded as a church football team”

I also didn’t know that, thanks GN5