Our home record against Fulham

Fulham were formed in 1879 as Fulham St Andrew’s Church Sunday School F.C., founded by worshippers (mostly adept at cricket) at the Church of England on Star Road, West Kensington (St Andrew’s, Fulham Fields). They won the West London Amateur Cup in 1887 and, having shortened the name from Fulham Excelsior to its present form in 1888, they then won the West London League in 1893 at the first attempt.

The club gained professional status on 12 December 1898, the same year that they were admitted into the Southern League’s Second Division. They were the second club from London to turn professional, following Arsenal then named Royal Arsenal 1891.

Famous names like Johnny Haynes, Bobby Moore, Rodney Marsh and George Best had been part of the team through the years.

Our first league meeting with Fulham was in Division 2 on March 14th 1914 and it ended in a 2-0 victory for Arsenal. Overall we have played them 27 times at home and Fulham have never won a single game; they have managed just 5 draws and have been outscored 67 to 23.

Arsenal v Fulham 1914

Complete league results

Fulham’s Bobby Robson clears the ball from Arsenal’s Jon Sammels

At the time of writing Fulham’s 2018-19 record is W2, D5, L12, GF17, GA43 and they are in 19th place.

I cannot envisage anything other than a victory for Arsenal.

GunnerN5

22 Responses to Our home record against Fulham

1. VP of Oz says:

About to bring in the new year
    Happy New Year to everyone at AA

2. LBG says:

Happy New Year VP. Gotta be better than 2018!

Thanks once again GN5. I have no cause to dislike Fulham, they seem to be a club with integrity that is run on sound principles.

It looks like our hopes of finishing in the top 6 (I daren’t say 4) lie upon us beating the teams less able to penetrate our porous defence … starting with Fulham.

Thanks for the stats GN5.

Strangely (for a London club) Fulham are a team I’ve never disliked! Perhaps because they have seldom been a true rival, unlike their West London neighbours, and they’ve generally been an inoffensive presence.

All the odds (as you point out) strongly favour a home win but these are interesting times for Arsenal. It feels like the honeymoon is over and we’re about to find out what Emery is made of.

For the first half of the season it’s probably fair to say the manager was prepared to give all the players a fair crack and let them prove themselves to him (and vice versa). Now he seems to have reached the point where he is coming to conclusions about his squad.

He has clearly decided he’s not keen on Ozil and Ramsey, and how he and the club handle both these players’ situations is going to be interesting to follow.

If I had to guess it’s looking more likely that we’ll move Ozil on in January (in which case I imagine we would want to retain Ramsey for the rest of the season).

I pass no comment on the rights and wrongs of either option, but I’m keen to see how Emery imposes himself (or not).

Funny Rasp – as I was writing my comment about not disliking Fulham you were clearly doing the same…

🙂 Rocky …. I can’t compare my tiny shrivelled mind to your great one 🙂

We had pickled walnuts at Christmas. My younger (16-year-old) son picked one up and said “Dad – it’s your brain.”

Fair point, I thought.

8. VCC says:

Happy and Healthy New Year to ALL at AA.

Thanks, GN5.

Happy 2019 to everybody.

10. fred1266 says:

Excellent — GN5.

I know so little about the history of most of the other clubs, including Full Ham, and your historical synopsis was an eye opener and very interesting, thank you.

Most will think that the Fulham game should provide a golden opportunity to garner 3 points.
    Me, I am so disillusioned by our defence that I cannot believe it will be anything other than a hard fought game which is impossible to predict.

Still – I live in hope.

Best wishes to All for a Happy New Year.

Thanks Redders ….

A very Happy New Year to all who frequent AA …. try to do it more frequently in 2019 if you can 🙂 🙂 🙂

Happy New Year to all AA-ers.

Ahh, Rocky comments, happy days.

You’re 12.33 makes a great deal of sense.

16. fred1266 says:

that what i meant to post

17. LBG says:

Anybody seen enough of Reiss Nelson to support Charlie Nicholas’ view that he has the skills and vision to be a new Mesut?
    If, as seems likely, no significant money will be made available in this window to buy the sort of quality we need to plug the dam, do hope Dick will use on a more regular and significant basis the talented youth. This game would be a perfect opportunity. Hope we don’t have to look forward to worn out rubber washers for the next few months.

Good Morning, Folks,

Nelson has all the attributes, LBG, but skills and vision are one thing, but mental dedication and determination are also essential.

It’s up to him — hopefully he will grab the chance.
    He is a very different style of player to Mesut, so I am not sure what Charlie meant, to be honest.

And HNY. Do yo think a spoonful of sugar in a strong cup of tea will clear my hangover and give me the boost needed to write a post?

I will give it a try …