How Did you Rate our Debutants?

How would you rate our summer signings in their first appearance?
This is meant to be a bit of fun; mainly for Eddie who loves a poll!
It’s obviously too early to make any decisions about our new signings but first impressions often linger.

Sokratis Papastathopolous – looked a wee bit slow in pre-season but seemed more commanding in his first competitive game – Cretan rock face.

Stephan Lichtsteiner – adapted well (as the seasoned pro he is) to making his debut at left back rather than in his natural position – not short of cojones.

Matteo Guendouzi – a little shaky to start and then he seemed to realise he could play at Prem level – “I am not calling another man Matteo. Ever.”.

Lucas Torreira – only had 20 minutes or so but seemed to have an immediate impact on our midfield shape – terrier or pit bull.

chas

28 Responses to How Did you Rate our Debutants?

Thank you Chas.

I think for a first time outing they all did passably well with the Swiss chap particularly impressive on his “wrong” wing.

The Hairy One ran about and showed little fear, he could become a gem. Terrier gave an impressive cameo and the Greek bloke was commanding enough for me to worry less about Mustai.

poll!!! excellent!! i am thinking now…

3. LBG says:

Good fun, and now to the crunch decisions for Sat. Will Dick do a AW and be “loyal” to some of his first teamers or will he pick a team on the basis of performance? This is relevant in four positions ( so far ) for me.
    1. If he wants to continue with the distribute from the back theory, we must see if 20m Leno can cope. Cech out, for present!
    2. Seems a waste to have Lacazette as a genuine goal scorer on the bench. Get him up front with Aube. No place for Miki.
    3. Mesut was lost on the left. Get him in centrally to feed the two hotshots more regularly. Ramsey out.
    4. And most important of all. Pick the boy with confidence, skill, and “I want to be on this pitch”. Ouzi must play alongside Torreira. Xhaka out.

2 sixs and 2 sevens. Matteo and Stephan impressed me more than the other two. Too early is right, they need weeks if not months to settle down and show their true colours.

But on the whole i think that our new quartet could do well, very well in fact.

Pit bull is a terrier 🙂

most voters gave the Hairy One 8, lovely

Cheers Chas. I rated them all fairly high and feel all 4 should start at the weekend. There are potentially 3-4 1st teamers from last year that I feel should be moved to the bench at present.

Actually my thoughts on our current best 1st 11 are very similar to LBG’s, except I would not drop Micki. I would play him higher up the pitch in the more traditional number 10 behind a very mobile front 2 of Aube and Laca. Micki looks a more natural player inside the box and a more likely goal-scorer than both Ozil and Ramsey, and his traditional understanding with Aube can’t be underestimated. I think that front 3 could become a very fluid and dangerous unit much like the Pool front 3.

I would then play a deeper 3 comprised of 2 holding type CM’s in Torreira and Side Show Bob, with Ozil playing a deeper but free roaming role to try and supply the front 3. I think with Ozil I am starting to feel he would be better suited to a slightly deeper play making position, (but with 2 midfield minders alongside / just tucked in behind him), rather than the player right behind the forward(s) or playing on the flank.

Xhaka and Rambo drop to the bench for me at the moment. I also have concerns over Bellerin. He seems to be a weak spot, defensively that other teams exploit. He doesn’t seem to get tight enough to players and rarely stops balls coming in from that side or stems the danger. He looks a bit easy to beat 1-1 despite his alleged pace. I think a spell out with the coaching team working on his defensive shape and understanding would be appropriate. He is still one for the future despite having played many senior games already.

I feel both AMN and Lichtensteiner look better in a 1-1 situation and both defend better often clearing the danger or stealing the ball away from the opposition. It depends of course on AMN injury.

GB – Hector is preparing for the London Fashion Week, his mind is preoccupied with the catwalk

Best squad photo ever?

Torreira and Guendouzi congratulate each other on their debuts…

Thanks chas, I thought all the debutants did pretty well … and showed some of the established players up in terms of commitment and work rate. I hope they energise the others to their level rather than the converse.

The crowd came to life when we put in some strong tackles in the second half. The players and the manager must have our unqualified support as the team evolves.

I agree that the brave choice (and correct one in my opinion) would be to play all 5 of the new guys against the chavs.

I think he’s got a straight choice when it comes to keepers. Play Leno if he wants a keeper who can be the 11th man on the pitch … or … tell Cech to play in the style he is comfortable rather than try to get him to play out from the back … he’s too long in the tooth to learn those new tricks.

animals 🙂 I so wish i was a four legged mammal, life would be better

Bambi trying to leave the room unnoticed
    He doesn’t like it when mum watches football

13. Akinzo says:

Good one Chas
    I am not excited that we have some quality players in our rank now. Not only do they possess the skill sets to make the first team but are imbued with the acumen that has been lacking in our spine over time.
    The fear during preseason was that Sokratis was slow and could be a weak link in our already jaundiced defence but his performance all through the game debunked such fears. He was solid and assured. There were no signs that he was playing in the Premiership, the fastest league in the world. It would be out of tune not to play him at the Stamford Bridge.
    It would also be refreshing to see Lichestiner star in the right back position for us. He was a beast all through the time he spent on the pitch. He even created some scoring chances that were blown away and was solid defensively. Id be glad if he takes over from Bellerin who has been dodgy for sometime now.
    As for Matheo, we have a gem in our hands. Its funny some people and a section of the media are questioning the decision of the manager to start him. How many 19-year-old ate capable of churning out the kind of performance he put up against the best club in the premiership? He made errors but didn’t wilt. Imagine if the opposition hadn’t been City! Some even blamed him for Sterling goal! Emery though a lot don’t rate him isn’t a fool, he must have seen the players over and over to hand him a starting berth. He can only get better after such an animated debut.
    And as for Terrier we saw how he changed the game when he came on. His distributions and intervention were spot on. He will become one our most reliable player this season. It is still early season but in one game our new additions have exhibited the kind of burning passion that has been lacking in our players in over a decade.

Hi Chas, I just spent 15 minutes giving a thoughtful response to your post only for word press to eat it!!!!

So now I will simply give you a short summary of my reflections.

Lichtsteiner was the star of the group I was really impressed with him – 8/10

Torreira, Guendouzi and Sokratis were all above average and are very solid additions to our squad. All get 7/10.

But my highest rating goes to Unai Emery – these players are his choices and frankly they put our existing players to shame. Unai will need to have a serious talk and give some private tutoring to at least 5 of the starting squad. I rate Unai 9/10.

de Bruyne suffered a knee injury in training, will miss first part of the season 😦

17. fred1266 says:

bloody hell, Lichtensteiner speaks 5 languages! his english is excellent

Mince and tatties seems to be the way to go, though my mirror shows a few years of crystal meth 😦

I always knew the spuds were just rent boys

new post

24. LBG says:

Stephan is both the fatherly figure AND the rocket up the ARSE that Hector needs.