More Gears to Come – Arsenal beat Lazio

Going into the game, expectations were high with the prospect of a debut for Lucas Torreira and a return for the Albanian Eagle. Impressions after the match were dominated by the impact second half substitute Matteo Guendouzi had on the look of the Arsenal team.

The match began as if it was a training scenario, Arsenal having virtually 100% possession and Lazio making thousands of small shuttle runs denying space and chances.

Laca was on target from a fine volley; the dinked pass from Lichtsteiner a real treat and in complete contrast to his ebullient roughhousing. I really enjoyed watching an old school defender employing the full range of tricks of his craft. Stephan Lichtsteiner won’t be bullied this season, that’s for sure. It would have been very interesting to see how he would have coped with Hudson Odoi the other night. I’d imagine the chav may have found himself flying into the first couple of rows of seats at some point!

Reiss Nelson was sharp to follow up Alex Iwobi’s effort off the post giving the boys in the “peacoat navy” (seriously ) shirts a deserved lead. Lazio finally woke up, finished the half stronger and were, perhaps, a little unlucky not to equalise with both a chip on to the bar and a clear header.

Auba scored after fine work from Elneny and Lacazette on the edge of the Lazio area. The intensity of the game dropped after numerous substitutions and Lazio clearly lacked the sharpness a tougher preseason might have given them.

The final 20 minutes was my favourite part of the game with all the big hitters, Mesut, Micki, Auba, ESR and Matteo on the pitch at the same time. Arsenal became a purring Rolls Royce coasting to victory. Whether the Premier League will allow us the luxury of seeing so much skill and pure talent on the pitch at the same time is another matter entirely.

Guendouzi was majestic, playing with the unabashed confidence of youth. Mesut loved his cameo and the highlight came from Micki with a sublime turn and nutmeg.

Calum Chambers played particularly well in the first half. He really seems to be maturing into a fine defender and his passing from the back adds a level of calm we didn’t see against the chavs on Wednesday.

Lucas Torreira’s debut was pretty quiet. His rapid shifting of the ball forwards was very pleasing to watch. More to come from the Uruguayan undoubtedly.

All in all a very decent, if not spectacular, run out, though which players will make the cut against City next week is anyone’s guess!

59 Responses to More Gears to Come – Arsenal beat Lazio

thank you for the report, much appreciated.
    The excitement of the first half worn me out, I had fallen asleep and missed the Hairy One. I am delighted to read that he was good, I have high hopes for him

i don’t want to go on and on about Iwobi, but I will mention that I cannot see any improvement in his performance. He still runs to nowhere, cannot score, looks clumsy and erratic. I refuse to believe that Emery will entertain the man. Wenger would becasue he was his youngsters, but anyone else will simply dump him. I hope he goes before the window closes.

oh ffs
    the contract extension was before the game, they should have waited

What do you make of Iwobi, am I unfair on him?

From the Football.London website….

Alex Iwobi

Looked very lively and always looked to press Lazio back with his direct running. Unlucky not to score when his shot hit the post, but Nelson followed up. 8

Cut him some slack, I reckon.
    He’s still young and will become better with his decision-making as he enters his prime.

Mind you, I tend to say that about all of our players while they’re still a part of the Club. 🙂

yeah, like Akpom. Chubba was the future, remember?

ok, I will leave him alone for a year, so what happens

Chubba wasn’t offered a new long term contract.

@9:08 – why?

Didn’t fulfill his promise.
    Went on several loan spells with a variety of lower league clubs but didn’t really impress at any of them.

= he was shit.

Eddie,

I’m also very concerned about Iwobi becoming yet another of our “should have been” youngsters who never reach the heights expected of them. I hope to be wrong in that assessment but I really have strong doubts about him.

Yesterday’s game only showed our best in the last 20 minutes and Lazio were nowhere near their best, but even at their current level they could easily scored 2/3 times in the first half but were let down by poor finishing.

Roll on Man C so we can see just how competitive our team can be this season.

GN5 – yes, far too many potential stars turned turd. I have always been cautious when dear GiE was hailing yet another prospect. Where are those prospects now??

It is also worrying that Torreira didn’t make any impact yesterday. He is one of our most expensive players and could cost the club £45mil, He’d better bloody deliver or DidIt and I will be marching to the Ems

re City game. I expect thrashing, but that’s ok actually. Emery will know then where he stands. And we will know what to expect. If we played lesser teams till November we could have been fooled we are the titles contnders 🙂

It was Torreira first game for us Eddie but having seen how he normally plays I have full confidence in him becoming a mainstay in or midfield.

We will see today just how good City will be this season, I don’t think they will find it as easy as they did in 2017/18 and I expect it to be a tighter race.

As i was watching yesterday I was, maybe unfairly, comparing our team against both previous Arsenal teams and against City and I had negative thoughts. I was most concerned about our continued iffy defense – it was only due to poor Lazio finishing that we ending up winning. The clean sheet looks good on paper but in reality we showed the same defensive frailties as we have in the past,

Good Afternoon, AA’ers.

I suspect that you were the author of the Post, Chas, and I enjoyed it — thank you.

I actually agreed with your assessment of the players/game and – allowing for the fact it was pretty much a training ground kickabout, I thought it was pretty good and a complete change from AW’s style of play (and player).

I have not always been Iwobi’s biggest fan, but that kid has plenty of skill and enthusiasm and a full tank of gas to boot. He is still very young as you said and when he gets over the headless chicken stage (that is a bit cruel – but I am making a point) 😂 he has all the makings of a very good asset for Arsenal.

[Just between us — how is it that a simple conversation betwixt thee and Eddie — ends up as a masochist/sadist convention?? She is very hard on you – so to speak. 😂

Hi GN5,

Your views are sensible, as usual, and your comment re the 2 or 3 goals Lazio could have scored, and linked to your view that the defence still looked ‘iffy’, is correct in my opinion.

Of course the actual team has still not been chosen for the opening game (bit late doing so) but when the players who were 2nd half subs against Lazio play in the 1st half against the Mancs, and Rambo (if he is still with us) I think we may surprise people – or not!! 😂

Anyway — let’s see how it plays out!

Hi there RA nice to hear from you, I hope your health is improving.

I have just moderate expectations of our prospects this season as City, United and Liverpool all look too strong for us – I believe that our only chance of a top four place will be if Spurs have issues – so far they have the same team as 2017/18 = no improvements.

I missed out Chelsea who will also be after a top four place they are currently down 1-0 to City after 15 minutes.

Agree with all that, GN5.

It might take a couple of years to become a big team player along with those you mentioned.

“Arsenal became a purring Rolls Royce coasting to victory” who wrote that? Good read.

LB. I believe it was our blog master poster Chas.

City still look like they are in a class of their own. It may be a long season of wishing and hoping for all of the also ran’s,

greetings RA

LB – someone insane and it wasn’t moi

27. RC78 says:

Sad day guys…it seems that Ramsey is tempted to join Chelsea as Sarri tries to bulk up his midfield options…If he goes to Chelsea directly from Arsenal, that would be quite awful…they would even get him for cheap…Sarri promising him a spot higher up the pitch behind the striker:
    -Jorgi – Kante
    Willian Ramsey Hazard

shit!

28. RC78 says:

35 mln as it seems that Emery is fine with Xhaka, Torreira, Guendouzi, AMN, El Neny in midfield

RC – sad day if the rumours that Aaron wants £300k a week to stay have any substance.

So, ghost written by Rocky it is then 🙂

31. Aaron says:

Ramsey is great-when not injured. Sound familiar?
    Will an insane contract and the possibility of winning Europa or getting a top 4 worth it for one season? If Arsenal are lucky…
    Sell him if he does not want to sign the damn thing, so many other players coming up, and use funds to get someone that the Arsenal need, and not another 10, there are enough of those on the team as is.

nut-nut cat 🙂

@ 8:07 makes me wonder about God – does he really have time to listen to my prayers? Now I know why we lost so many games

@8:14 – no!! we never had those losers together on a pitch

I am GENUINLY shocked that international reports show that Britain is drug ridden, most drug related deaths in Europe, cocaine capital of Europe…the list goes on. Is that really the case?? I don’t think I know any drug users anymore

Everyone our age has had to give up drugs for the sake of their health.

Mind you, this no deal Brexit bollocks may require their copious use.

I’m stockpiling already. 🙂

8:07
    Even though God created the universe, he decided to live on Earth, so your prayers still have a chance of getting through.
    There are only 7.6 billion others to compete with (some of them spuds, too).

It was only CarlingCup and we had a strong bench including Gervinho!

Carling Cup 2011-12

Tue 29 Nov 2011 22.03 GMT

Arsenal: Fabianski, Djourou, Squillaci, Koscielny, Miquel, Frimpong, Coquelin, Benayoun, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Park, Chamakh.
    Subs: Mannone, Yennaris, Vermaelen, Eastmond, Ozyakup, Gervinho, Arshavin.

Manchester City: Pantilimon, Onuoha, Savic, Kolo Toure, Zabaleta, Johnson, de Jong, Nasri, Hargreaves, Kolarov, Dzeko.
    Subs to follow: Richards, Bridge, Taylor, Aguero, Suarez, Rekik, Razak.

“Arsenal are playing a 4-4-2, with Yossi Benayoun and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain on the left and right of Emmanuel Frimong and Francis Coquelin in the centre of midfield. Ju Young Park and Maroune Chamakh form their two-pronged strike-force. Well, a one-pronged strike-force, plus Marouane Chamakh.”

11 min: Arsenal go so, so close after a marvellous move in which Frimpong and Coquelin combined well in the middle, before the latter squared the ball across the edge of the six-yard box, where Ju-Young Park was loitering behind Nedum Onuoha. The South Korean hit it first time, but his left-footed effort from close range was parried brilliantly by Pantilimon, who stretched out his left hand to prevent what looked a certain goal.

23 min: Francis Coquelin goes down injured, but is able to continue after a quick rub-down with the magic sponge.

25 min: Johan Djourou swings in a cross from the right flank, but it’s too high for Marouane Chamakh to get his head on the end of it. The ball is eventually put out for an Arsenal corner, which Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain takes. City half-clear, but concede a throw in their own left-back position. After some faffing around between Oxlade-Chamberlain and Kolarov down in the corner, the ball goes out for a goal-kick.

39 min: Squeezed tight, Frimpong, Coquelin, Benayoun and Oxlade-Chamberlain ping the ball to each other on the edge of the final third, attempting to unpick the lock of what is temporarily an eight-man Manchester City rearguard. Their efforts come to naught and City clear.

Too many shishas

65 min: Marouane Chamakh, who’s done nothing this evening, appears to be coughing and spluttering quite a lot, as if he’s on the verge of being physically ill. I suspect he may not last much longer in this game.

stop!!!!!! this is a horror story!!

bloody hell, almost all of them were awful

68 min: Arsenal substitution: Park off, Gervinho on.

80 min: Gervinho goes galloping from the edge of his own penalty area and down the left touchline, only to be dispossessed by Edin Dzeko, who was tracking back dutifully.

GOAL! Arsenal 0-1 Man City (Aguero 83) Manchester City score with a marvellous counter-attacking goal from an Arsenal corner. Breakling out of his own penalty area, Edin Dzeko plays a glorious pass up the centre to Adam Johnson, who waits briefly before swiveling and laying the ball off to Sergio Aguero. The Argentinian slots the ball past the hopelessly exposed Lukasz Fabianski and into the bottom right-hand corner from about 20 yards.

90+2 min: Arsenal attack down the right, from where Gervinho sends the ball flashing across the face of goal. Marouane Chamakh ducks his head, but fails to attack the ball with any conviction and doesn’t even make contact.

Arsenal 0-1 Manchester City – Result