England reach a Climax – Groups G and H complete the group stage

So, Group E finished as predicted with the Brazilians avoiding any close shaves and the Swiss doing enough to cement a spot in the last 16.

Group F produced the biggest shock of the tournament so far with the Germans unable to beat South Korea and thus going home as disgraced holders. Sweden comfortably beat the Mexicans who were grateful for Germany’s collapse.

The last two groups complete today……

Group G features a straight shoot out between England and Belgium for top spot, though which possible opponents from Group H would be preferred, is anyone’s guess.

To progress from Group H, Japan need to avoid losing to a Polish side merely playing for pride. Senegal v Columbia could turn into fixture of the day, with Columbia needing to win to ensure their fate is in their own hands.

34 Responses to England reach a Climax – Groups G and H complete the group stage

I need to study the wallchart later on today!

Thanks again

Winners/runners up for Englands group have easy-as-possible 1/16 games, it’s the 1/8 where the runners up of our group have the advantage of not playing ze germans, whereas the winners likely face Brasil

Bottom line is, there is no clear advantage to winning, other than the momentum

capybaras are rats, shame, i was beginning to like them

poland playing merely for pride. That’s huge. Poles will probably go bananas and win.

if it was me I would just roll over tonight and make sure that either columbians or senegalese go out, that would teach them

Thanks chas.

This evening s game will be a borefest with some Spurs twats trying to lose on both teams.

I will watch the Panama goalfest.

Mmm, tend to agree there, Erik.

Always good to separate the wheat from the chaff games in order to stave off burn out. Planning a night off and hopefully watch Columbia Senegal this pm

9. RC78 says:

Just score an own-goal because the bottom half of the draw can lead you to a semi-final against Spain or Croatia.

If you are on top half, France/Argentina/Uruguay/Portugal/Brazil are waiting…Best to face any of them in the final

Ha ha, RC

We Englanders have no intention whatsever of getting to the final so that bit of the equation is quite irrelevant.

Last eight, then hols

11. RC78 says:

For me all is ok – we will lose to Argentina
    My other two teams are England (wife) and Belgium (host country) so one of my second teams will each the semis

Another thing, I reckon Spain and Croatia are the best two sides in the tournament

Ok, we’ll have friday off, so between conclusion of group stages and the serious stuff beginning on saturday, we’ll discuss the chart

I’ll leave you with the thought that I think France will beat Argentina

14. RC78 says:

But Spain and Croatia will cancel each other out I think

You need dirty players to win the WC so that counts England and Belgium out.

For me – Uruguay, Argentina, Brazil and Spain are the favorite and Croatia is the dark horse.

15. RC78 says:

I am hoping Senegal goes through so we can have an African team in the last 16

16. VP of Oz says:

ok, someone needs to post this chart

Should be a good days soccer. Sadly I am working for much of it.

Eng/Belg is a difficult tie in terms of emotion. I detest Fellaini and the Belgian Spurs players but equally I dislike Delle Alli and the Spurs miscreants playing for England.

So difficult. Come on Senegal

18. RC78 says:

To have a WC, we need an African and an Asian team in the last 16 at least so my vote goes to Japan and Senegal

Late to the party, albeit a 0-0 party BUT with Japan losing, then a draw here and both go through

i’m a goal magnet I am

Unreal the support from the South American fans of all their teams

go on Ospinaaaaaa, hoof it into your own net

OK, where is Terry Jitterbug — or failing that, is there anyone out there who can tell me something about our ‘near-signed’ Greek God, Socrates PassthePolos?

I think it was Raddy, earlier, who highlighted the difficulty of watching/supporting England — the team seems to include a whole gang of Spuds. Hmmm — might find something else to do, I guess. 🙂

—– Nice Post, Chas.

There is something very un-sporting about being knocked out of a tournament, any tournament, for having too many yellow cards, and conversely for another team going thru to the next round on the tenuous measurement of subjective Fair Play.

Any idea of how big the difference was in terms of how many yellow cards knocked Senegal out? 1 card? 10 cards?

What if Senegal gave away (say) 10 yellow cards — but Japan gave away zero yellow cards, but 1 red card. Does a red card equal 2 yellow cards.

Did the rules always exist, prior to the commencement of the WC, to separate teams this way, or are FIFA making up the rules as they go along to suit the highest bidder? We need to know. 🙂

Whatever happens from now on in the tournament I think England have found their best manager since Terry Venables.

Who would have thought that Southgate would be so accomplished?

Delph is playing!!

Thank goodness we didn’t sign Vardy. PEA is different class

Both teams booed off the pitch. I feel like joining in – what a poor half of football with not one England shot on target.

Serves me right as I should be watching the goalfest with Panama (everything is comparative)

Can’t be arsed with this any more, I am reading a very good book on the history of Cod – oh Welbeck is coming on – maybe I should stay and watch the last 15 mins

NEW POST