Which Midfielder needs to Leave??

We have signed a man at the end of his career and one whose career has yet to start. Welcome both the Swiss fellow and the French chap.

We need to trim the squad. Starting with midfield, who gets sold?

One or more of Wilshire, Ramsey, Iwobi or Xhaka.

Xhaka? Towards the end of the season Xhaka showed he is becoming accustomed to the PL. He is a vital part of the team, a player who controls the pace of the midfield. He no longer gets red cards for stupid tackles but is more considered in his work. Definitely a keeper and next season could be a when we see his true quality. A big WC and his value will rocket. We need him to stay until M-N flowers.

Wilshire? His reluctance to sign his contract is worrying but should we keep him even if he is willing to sign? Jack is a proper Gooner who has been at the club since childhood, it would be sad if he moved on but his play is simply not good enough to get us to a Top 4 place. I ask this question … would JW get into any of the 5 teams above us? The answer is No. So, he has to go.

Ramsey? You know he is one of my favourite players but does he fit into the current squad? Not really. He is a wonderful player with all the attributes for a dynamic midfielder but he just doesn’t fit with Ozil and, for me, the team has to work around Mesut as it did around DB10. If Aaron hasn’t signed a contract extension by mid-July then he has to go. We should sell him whilst he still has a value. If he signs, and it is a big IF, will he be happy playing a bit-part? I doubt it.. If he goes, we will be losing  a man who has scored two winning FAC goals. It would be a sad but necessary loss.

Iwobi? Has tremendous potential but can he achieve it? Can he do so at AFC where he will not, for the time being, be a first choice player?  Lack of true pace is his problem because he has all the other skills needed to be a fine attacking MF. Another who could have a big WC. We have to keep him.

Would it be to the detriment of the squad if both JW and AR left? Of course it would – they are both International quality players but Arsenal are no longer a Wenger team and perhaps these men are part of our past, not our future.

I could be wrong but I very much doubt both will be at Arsenal come August.

written by Big Raddy

125 Responses to Which Midfielder needs to Leave??

I wrote this whilst under the influence of heavy drink. If it is bolleaux I apologise 😀

In that case, Erik, I say drink more 🙂

I’d throw Elneny into the mix as well.

Key for me is the system and only Emery knows what he is planning. Many on here rightly criticised previous team selections for picking the players rather than the system, hence the term shoehorning.

Therefore, if Emery goes for a central Mesut, and two big strong defensively solid midfielders behind (with great ball skills, and thus a big transfer fee) then yes, neither Rambo or Jack fit. Plus, we’d get the cash we need.

I’d flog Rambo, Jack and Elneny.

Of the youngsters, I’d keep Iwobi, M-N, Eddie and Nelson

3. CorporateMan says:

Stop writing whilst under the influence of heavy drink then because you would invariably write “bolleaux” like suggesting Ramsey’s out.

Corporate

The author is one of those that always pens away under the influence of something, and weirdly, he’s one of the few who I reckon makes more sense when it’s alcohol 🙂

Can I add another layer ie if we do need to sell to buy (ie expensive players) then which high value asset(s) could we offload? Lacazette?

micky – Ozil. Then we can keep all Xhaka, Wilshere, Ramsey and Iwobi

Thanks Raddy, good post, good question, thanks. I would be surprised if Emery starts selling before he knows what he can do with these players. He might even think he can get more out of Iwobi.

Do we need to sell? If he has enough money he will probably buy some defenders and see how they are playing. We could be for an amazing season – all useless until now players will play out of their skins to impress Unai

Goalie, we defo need to sell Cech and Ospina and buy some world class keepers.

hell, I hope England don’t win the WC in Russia

“Gary Lineker: ‘If England win the World Cup 2018, I’d present MOTD in a mankini'”

I completely forgot about Elneny 😀

The man is a keeper.

Eddie. I will get to the rest of the team …

keep drinking and writing raddy 🙂

yes, Elneny is a Gunner

Eddie

Excellent idea. Sell Mesut, revert to an 80’s style 4-4-2, bring back Oliie and play hoof ball 🙂 🙂

Micky. One word. Fellaini.

Behave

13. RC78 says:

Great post and if you look at yesterday’s post – I wrote soething similar on defenders if anybody wants to pull that post for publication.

I reckon the following:
    – Ramsey and Wilshere will sign new deals
    – AMN, Xhaka, Ozil and Miky are also to stay

It leaves out El Neny , Iwobi and Campbell. El Neny, Campbell will be allowed to leave and Iwobi will be asked to (maybe a loan but ideally we cash in).

I also think that Mislat and Emery are aiming to bring in 2 midfield profiles to the team:
    – Holding/Defensive Mid
    – Winger

If we go by the rumours,
    – the HM/DM could be Fellaini or Nzonzi BUT I think that it would not be impossible for us to land both
    – The winger position would be Gelson Martins or Emil Forsberg

That would leave us with the following midfield options:
    DM – Recruit 1 + back up (either Xhaka or Wilshere)
    CMR – Xhaka, AMN
    CML – Miky, Wilshere
    AM – Ozil, Ramsey
    Winger – Recruit + back-up (Reiss Neilsson)

I would love for us to get both Nzonzi and Fellaini as Fellaini is free.

So while the squad needs trimming, our midfield also needs boosting. I d get rid of El Neny, Campbell and Iwobi and I would bring in at least:
    – 1 HM, ideally 2
    – 1 Winger

I know that the value of the 3 midfielders is not great but we need to make space for higher quality players in our squad.

RC78 is the only AAer who is happy to talk just footy 🙂
    come on RC, chill out and tell us more about you

Iwobi will be asked to leave – I hope you are right, i never liked him but many see a bright future for him. right, in another more sunny country perhaps

Cheers, BR.

It’s really difficult to say who stays and who goes without knowing yet how Emery is going to set the team up.

Also, I’m still not sure if most of those mentioned have a best position at Arsenal as yet, so maybe the new manager might see potential for them to play slightly different roles than we expect.
    Shoehorning? Who knows. 😆

Thanks Raddy a very good post. For me it ties into Micky’s Ozil one the other day so sorry I am replying to 2 posts in 1 comment.

I agree that we can’t keep all of these CM’s for the sake of team balance. It is one of the problems that UE has inherited from AW, having too many similar midfielders, and I think was one of AW’s major blind spots in his final few seasons that didn’t allow him to progress us back to a top team.

I think a manager always has an initial basic choice of either changing around the squad to suit a system he prefers, or adapting a system to suit the strengths of the players he has. UE will have to do a bit of both. He may have his preferred systems but will still have to work to the strengths of this squad by and large. We are not a club that will bring in 10 and sell 10. A couple of tweaks here and there.

The issues in our defence we all know about but, once you look at the rest of the squad, AW’s team over the latter seasons has lacked high quality CM protection in front of the defence, natural pace and width out wide, and arguably more goals and actual goal threat wouldn’t go amiss. We need at least 1 natural wide goal scoring player and 1 more specialised HM. I think the extra goals will come naturally from getting the balance better in our set up.

I am happy to build a team around Mesut but should he be a number 10 type player? Comparing him to Dennis the stats seem to show that Mesut has the slightly higher assists but Dennis scored more. Dennis was a creative number 10 / second striker, while Mesut seems more a creative ACM that scores some goals.

I think I would prefer Miki as the most ACM who looks a more natural goal scoring number 10 and play Ozil as one of 2 box to box CM’s behind him. With another BTB player next to him and a HM behind he should still get that freer licence to roam role.

I think if we are to play MO as a number 10 then he needs 2 prolific goal scoring wing forward types either side of him as well as the striker ahead and that likely requires more recruitment, unless there is an answer within the camp from the likes of Nelson or Perez.

It seems each of us has a preference with these midfielders in who we keep and who should go. For me it comes down to what system we play as to who we need the most. Having a couple of go to systems is never a bad thing so having a squad that can give 2 options would be good.

Personally I think we keep all those younger players, including Iwobi who I feel should become a BTB midfield option rather than wing forward type. He has actually shown high potential when playing slightly deeper but will never make a top class attacker for me. Xhaka also showed enough at the end of the season to merit holding on to.

We have 3 senior strikers in Auba, Laca and DW and Eddie to come through. All are mobile strikers that will operate in the wide areas (as oppose to Giroud who was centrally static) so part of our lack of natural width is addressed here; i.e when one goes wide the other goes central e.t.c.

Once you put Micki in behind them we have a 3rd attacking goal threat while becoming even more fluid and unpredictable, so no need to mess around with that lot.

I actually don’t see where Elneny comes into the equation. We have Xhaka and AMN plus likely 1 recruit so he is not required as a HM option. In the BTB role I would place Ozil, Jack, Rambo, Iwobi and Micki (as an option) above him so for me he is surplus.

It comes down to Jack and Rambo and sadly I would lose Rambo. We have relied on his pop up goals at times but once you look at the strikers + Micki we shouldn’t be so reliant on those. Once you look at the BTB role I have always felt that Jack just has that bit more natural ability in that heart of midfield role, linking the defensive part of the team to the attacking part.

I also feel Jack and MO would strike up the best partnership as 2 BTB midfielders as Jack would always hold slightly more than MO and give us that quality balance, whereas I feel Ramsey would sit too high too often to try and get in goal-scoring positions and gaps will be left. I also feel that Jack is the closest player to MO in reading the game a step ahead of other players. Also economically Ramsey can fund 1 of the other key players we need while Jack can’t and it makes more sense just to re-sign him.

Sorry 3 weeks comments and posts answered in 1, I am sure you are all used to it by now 🙂

Micky, thanks for your comment earlier and also Chas, no hard feelings mate. Will see you next season for a beer anda laugh about it.

Sorry RC, just seen your comment. Almost identical to how I see it but I would just get N’Zonzi and would prefer to give Iwobi more time than bin him for Fellaini. Iwobi is a much more mobile midfielder with time still on his side.

And Chas you also said the same as me…….but shorter and more succinct 🙂

20. RC78 says:

Eddie – these days am quite overworked and have to carry out n umerous overseas missions so it is tough when am back and when am away. No time to rest or for peace of mind. Most importantly, don’t get to see the missus and the kid enough 😦 However, this tough period is going to come to an end soon so things are looking up:
    – French open is providing some good matches
    – World Cup is looming ahead and so is Wimbledon
    – Emery was a decent signing and I have a good feeling about the Arsenal transfer window
    – Work is going to slow down too
    – So stay calm and carry it on

Any news from RA? I am worried 😦

Back to footie. We are missing two profiles in our mids: HM and Winger. Let us get rid of surplus El Neny, Campbell and Iwobi and bring in at least 1 HM and 1 Winger. For the rest, let us keep our current players especially Ramsey.

Check this out:
    Xhaka, Nzonzi, Miky
    Ramsey, Ozil

OR
    Ramsey, Nzonzi, Xhaka
    Miky, Ozil

Back up:
    AMN, Fellaini(?), Wilshere
    Forsberg, Wellbeck

We are covered 🙂

21. RC78 says:

If we can’t get Nzonzi, I hope we move for Gueye, Ndombele, Vidal
    If we can’t get Forsberg, I hope we move for Guedes or Zaha

GB – good idea, keep your friends close, but enemies even closer 🙂

But you find time to dissect all footy related matters, never mind the missus and the kids 🙂

RC for the winger / wing forward I think I would prefer just 1, maybe a left footer that can operate from wide right, unless Perez is a top class option. Is he though, or is he more squad back up standard?

I would like to see Nelson given the left inside wing forward role at times when we play a system that requires that player. Zaha would be a player that expects to start most games at his stage, but in place of who? Nelson could be a revelation if given the chance but will not sulk if he is not first choice this season and is eased into more games.

Haha Eddie. Chas is far from that. I really enjoy the company of him and his bros at the FFB. I can’t vouch for your relationship with him however 🙂

26. RC78 says:

GB – Gelson, Forsberg and Guedes would be good addition. Forsberg and Guedes are expensive through so why not try Gelson one more time.

Potential squad?
    AM – Ramsey, Ozil
    Winger – Gelson, RN
    FW – Wellbeck, Auba
    ST – Lacazette, Nketiah

Major players out:
    – 1 GK, Mustafi, Jenjinskon, El Neny, Campbell, Iwobi, Perez, Akpom

Just keep on drinking Raddy.

To modify a Churchill witticism –

“My best writing is created when I’m drunk – it has to be as I’m rarely sober”

Mid-field is a real quandary but a good one to have, I feel that Iowibi’s time has run out, we will not re-sign Wilshere but will keep Ramsey (if he can be signed), Xhaka, M-N, Ozil and Mkhitaryan. But we need to buy some steel to weld then all together.

Your analysis is thorough RC. I think Wilshere plays better at CMR than CML though, and I would prefer Micky to not be deployed as deep as you indicate and would play higher up the pitch than both Ozil and Ramsey. I think he looks more of a natural number 10 goal scorer than the other 2, and I do like goals :).

As Chas said above, we seem to have a lot of players that don’t have a specific identity and could be one of 2 things. For example is Ramsey a BTB or number 10 type player? Same goes for Ozil. Is Xhaka a HM or BTB player? There are question marks like that over many players.

I said about Ramsey going because economically it made more sense and because I felt he was well covered in our best formation. That is only based on what I feel is our best formation though, which is a 4-1-2-1-2, with 2 mobile strikers, which would be Laca and Auba as 1st choice, a number 10 in behind them which would be Micki, 2 BTB players behind that, which would be Jack and Ozil as first choice, and a holding midfielder behind them, Xhaka or N’Zonzi as first choice.

That of course doesn’t mean this will be UE’s first choice line up so who stays and goes will depend on how he sees the line up. Will he stick with his favoured formations from the past or will he adapt to something more hybrid for us?

30. jjgsol says:

I was quite impressed with what I saw of Campbell last night and, indeed, when he was playing for us, so I am not sure why we need to buy a winger when we have one already.

31. fred1266 says:

From the list only Iwobi goes for me

Watch how he going and win Nigeria the WC

Interesting the mixed thoughts on Iwobi

He’s only just turned 22. Do those of you in the sell camp feel he lacks in some department and that he will simply never be good enough?

My thoughts are that he looked so much more composed when given a few games consistently towards the end of last season

Fred
    I hadn’t seen your comment when I began

34. fred1266 says:

this is how roma announcing new players damn

35. RC78 says:

Xhaka is not a DM, he is more of a CM and should be used there because that is where is so effective. He shuld only play DM as a back up plan.

Iwobi needs to go because he is talented but needs a team that will give him more playing time. I say we sell him for ecnomic reasons but I am happy to loan him out as well. I also don’t think that he will be a great player. He will be a squad player for Arsenal, never more.

Campbell – he is also talented but we need pace, goals and assists. He is not providing it consistantly despite obvious skills so he should go.

I reckon that we would get good money for both these players after the WC.

As for El Neny – also just a squad player so better he goes to flourish somewhere else.

Wilshere – I put him at CML because he is lefty but he can play as CMR, doesn’t bother me. Wilshere is gonna push for a starting berth if he stays fit and his quality is unquestionable

36. fred1266 says:

What you mean you would flog rambo jack and elneny micky

37. Herb's Army says:

Sell the lot of ’em!
    I jest, of course.
    Micky, I understand your sentiments regarding Ozil, but to leave Real Madrid for Arsenal is a significant step down, and he’s been part of a side that has declined sharply over the last few years.
    He’s not solely to blame, clearly, but because he was the most expensive signing (before Laca), the question is, has he given Arsenal value for money?
    You suggested building the team around Ozil, but I would question why that wasn’t the plan in the first place.
    Ancelotti made one alteration in the summer of 2013 for Real, he signed Bale and flogged us a player we didn’t need – which may be part of the reason he sometimes seems to be singled out for criticism – but that change was all that was needed for Real to become European champions, whilst Arsenal were going in the opposite direction.
    To label him world class is a stretch, Zidane was world class, and Ozil is nowhere near that quality.
    Perhaps it’s the structure that has hindered him, other players have alluded to it, at certain other clubs success is demanded, whereas Arsenal don’t have that sense of urgency. It has often been reported that Arsenal were a soft option because of a perceived lack of discipline and application for the defining challenges.
    Of the current crop, I’d keep Ramsey and Xhaka, because as mentioned we have some exciting prospects breaking through.
    I’m yet to be convinced by Elneny, so will watch the WC with one eye on him, and sympathise with Jack, who for all the world looked a nailed-on future Arsenal captain. Sadly he was over-used, and literally run into the ground.
    England share some responsibility for that, too, because it was an innocuous challenge by Djourou in a England v Switzerland game in June 2012 that set off his injury problems. Apart from brief glimpses of his talent, we’ve not seen the Wilshere of 2011/12, so I’d let him go too.
    I get the feeling that a few players are facing a big season next year and will need to raise their game several levels to have a future at Arsenal.

Quality Raddy

They all have to leave, but at the same time stay. What is required is a metamorphosis, the caterpillar to the butterfly, the ugly duckling to the ugly duck. There is a lot of ability in these midfield twats but they need to go within and find it.

I had the same issues when cheating on the second wife. To resolve my problems I first attempted Yoga, but found I was not a good bender.

In desperation I tried meditation but moments of silence always lead my thoughts to our 5-0 thrashing at Totnumb in which Marc Falco scored a hat trick. This is why it took me so long to qualify as an Accountant. During every exam, to break the silence I would cry out “Falcos nose is offside” so would get thrown out.

Finaly, i decided to go down the conventional route of psychotherapy in which i was encouraged to go deep and explore my feelings. Why did i need sex outside marriage? Why was I riddled with guilt? It was then i discovered that this bird i was seeing was a lot fitter than my wife and that the guilt I was feeling was a result of a childhood trauma of going to watch a Totnumb v Bolton game at the lane. To quash these feelings i took a second mistress and have never looked back. Neither has my wife, who is now living with some guy called Burt.

Wilshere and Ramsey have still another level to go to. I also believe Iwobi will eventually become a central midfielder and top one at that.

It would be nice to get a defensive midfield type? Preferably someone with a good sex drive

As for Xhaka, if he could get a couple of birds on the go, he can be the next Pele

39. fred1266 says:

RC78 have you ever seen gelson martins play

Guessing you was a big fan of Gervinho

40. fred1266 says:

Hi GB exactly what formation would that be sounds interesting, sounds like a 4312

I have seen a lot of Emil Forsberg whilst he was at Malmo and there is no way he is AFC standard, I cannot believe he is on our radar.

Terry. If there was anyone on AA who had the computer skills we would make a compilation of your comments into a book and sell them

We would become mega-rich. You, sadly, would just get a penny a book in copyright fees

Herb,

Bit early for me to do this complex chit chat, but you ask has Mesut offered value for money?

I’d say, until the arrival of Auba and Mhiki, the ONLY value 🙂

If you’ve given up on Mesut, you’ve given up on life 🙂

I agree Micky.

Ozil makes watching AFC enjoyable. . He can do the unimaginable and that makes him very special.

Football is not just about trophies

Probably from the Daily Mail:

Argentina have shipped three tonnes of their favourite foods to ensure Lionel Messi and co are comfortable at the World Cup

Arsenal agree deal to sign defender Sokratis Papastathopoulos for £16m from Borussia Dortmund

And Mahrez is still up for grabs

Yes Fred, my favoured line up is essentially a 4-3-1-2 with Ozil in the deeper 3 but being the most attacking of the 3 with a freer role. As his biggest world class quality is in opening up teams by finding his team-mates with sublime passes and balls it makes more sense to have 3 quality goal-scorers in front of him and overlapping FB’s to find. Gives him more options in what pass or ball to choose.

I reckon we could top last seasons Man City’s goals for stats with that line up. Can’t see Micky objecting to that 🙂

47. JM says:

Mohamed Elneny
    (Skill: Plentiful Link-up Passes)
    (Teamstyle: Mixed Passing – offence type)
    Overall: 87
    Offence: 14
    Defence: 12
    Technique: 16
    Power: 15
    Speed: 15
    Stamina: 15

48. JM says:

Mohamed Elneny
    (Average heatmap: DF-25%, MF-51%, FW-24%)

49. JM says:

Granit Xhaka
    (Skill: Defence-penetrating Mid-range Shots)
    (Teamstyle: Middle-distance shot emphasis – offence type)
    Overall: 90
    Offence: 14
    Defence: 14
    Technique: 17
    Power: 15
    Speed: 14
    Stamina: 16

50. JM says:

Granit Xhaka
    (Average heatmap: DF-23%, MF-57%, FW-20%)

51. JM says:

Aaron Ramsey
    (Skill: Genius Ball Control)
    (Teamstyle: Key Player emphasis – offence type)
    Overall: 90
    Offence: 15
    Defence: 13
    Technique: 16
    Power: 15
    Speed: 15
    Stamina: 16

52. JM says:

Aaron Ramsey
    (Average heatmap: DF-18%, MF-46%, FW-36%)

53. JM says:

Mesut Özil
    (Skill: Ethereal Assists)
    (Teamstyle: Chance Making-Up – offence type)
    Overall: 90
    Offence: 17
    Defence: 8
    Technique: 19
    Power: 14
    Speed: 16
    Stamina: 16

54. JM says:

Mesut Özil
    (Average heatmap: DF-12%, MF-38%, FW-50%)

55. JM says:

Ainsley Maitland-Niles
    (Skill: Penetrating Runs & High-speed Crosses)
    (Teamstyle: Pulling Back emphasis – offence type)
    Overall: 83
    Offence: 15
    Defence: 10
    Technique: 15
    Power: 12
    Speed: 17
    Stamina: 14

56. JM says:

Ainsley Maitland-Niles
    (Average heatmap: DF-21%, MF-53%, FW-26%)

57. JM says:

Joe Willock
    (Skill: Plentiful Link-up Passes)
    (Teamstyle: Mixed Passing – offence type)
    Overall: 78
    Offence: 13
    Defence: 8
    Technique: 15
    Power: 11
    Speed: 18
    Stamina: 13

58. JM says:

Joe Willock
    (Average heatmap: DF-15%, MF-64%, FW-21%)

59. JM says:

Petr Čech
    (Skill: Cool Guardian)
    (Teamstyle: Shot Saving – support type)
    Overall: 82
    Offence: 8
    Defence: 19
    Technique: 13
    Power: 19
    Speed: 11
    Stamina: 12

60. JM says:

Petr Čech
    (Average heatmap: GK/DF- 100%, MF-0%, FW-0%)

61. JM says:

Hector Bellerin
    (Skill: The Chain Attack Accelerator)
    (Teamstyle: Combination Play – offence type)
    Overall: 87
    Offence: 14
    Defence: 11
    Technique: 14
    Power: 12
    Speed: 19
    Stamina: 17

62. JM says:

Hector Bellerin
    (Average heatmap: DF-26%, MF-43%, FW-31%)

63. JM says:

Rob Holding
    (Skill: High Tactical Awareness)
    (Teamstyle: For the Team – support type)
    Overall: 84
    Offence: 10
    Defence: 17
    Technique: 12
    Power: 16
    Speed: 14
    Stamina: 15

64. JM says:

Rob Holding
    (Average heatmap: DF-68%, MF-32%, FW-0%)

65. JM says:

Sead Kolašinac
    (Skill: Clinical Sprint and Cross)
    (Teamstyle: Pulling Back emphasis – offence type)
    Overall: 88
    Offence: 13
    Defence: 14
    Technique: 14
    Power: 16
    Speed: 16
    Stamina: 15

66. JM says:

Sead Kolašinac
    (Average heatmap: DF-53%, MF-39%, FW-8%)

67. JM says:

Laurent Koscielny
    (Skill: Exquisite All-round Positioning)
    (Teamstyle: Organisation Defence emphasis – defence type)
    Overall: 90
    Offence: 10
    Defence: 18
    Technique: 13
    Power: 18
    Speed: 15
    Stamina: 16

68. JM says:

Laurent Koscielny
    (Average heatmap: DF-54%, MF-45%, FW-1%)

69. JM says:

Nacho Monreal
    (Skill: Long Down the Line Passes)
    (Teamstyle: Long Passing emphasis – offence type)
    Overall: 87
    Offence: 14
    Defence: 13
    Technique: 15
    Power: 14
    Speed: 16
    Stamina: 15

70. JM says:

Nacho Monreal
    (Average heatmap: DF-35%, MF-39%, FW-26%)

71. TotalArsenal says:

Excellent, thought-provoking post from the Anglo-Viking! 🙂

To evaluate somebody’s football knowledge you just have to see how they value Iwobi. He was the best player on the pitch in the recent friendly between Eng and Nigeria. An absolute keeper at only 22 years old and already producing goals and assists regularly.

Elneny is a great squad player who will get better and better.

Xhaka is class and our near-future captain. Play him in the deeper midfield position with a more conservative/defensively stronger B2B than Ramsey next to him.

Ramsey in the hole as a mini-box to box midfielder, with Ozil joining him there in the free right-wing attacking role. Happy to sell him too if he does not sign bloody soon.

Jack, love him but is probably on his way.

Ozil – will have his best season yet in 2018-19. Never played a bad game for Arsenal but what he offers is only really visible to the connoisseurs – hint it is not only what is done with the ball that matters. 🙂

Mkhi – great allround midfielder/attacker who could end up in the hole if Rambo leaves.

So I reckon we are in a very good position, as I expect Emery to play a bit deeper and with a more disciplined/conservative B2B than last season. Key is to sort out the CB situation as we need a new General ala Campbell/Adams to calm things down and boss the box.

Xhaka —– Elneny/New Signing

——Rambo/Mkhi ———-

Ozil —– Laca ——–Auba

Iwobi, Perez, Mkhi, Welbz, AMN and ANother (x2) to provide cover and resting players regularly. Two months and two days to go to the start of the season. Bring it on.

72. JM says:

Our recent new guy.

Stephan Lichtsteiner
    (Skill: Adaptable Wide Attacks)
    (Teamstyle: Overlapping – support type)
    Overall: 89
    Offence: 13
    Defence: 13
    Technique: 14
    Power: 15
    Speed: 16
    Stamina: 18

73. JM says:

Stephan Lichtsteiner
    (Average heatmap: DF-29%, MF-41%, FW-30%)

74. JM says:

Alexandre Lacazette
    (Skill: The Emerging Number Nine)
    (Teamstyle: Finisher – offence type)
    Overall: 88
    Offence: 18
    Defence: 6
    Technique: 16
    Power: 15
    Speed: 19
    Stamina: 14

75. JM says:

Alexandre Lacazette
    (Average heatmap: DF-5%, MF-31%, FW-64%)

76. JM says:

Danny Welbeck
    (Skill: Primal Chasing Down)
    (Teamstyle: Chasing – support type)
    Overall: 86
    Offence: 17
    Defence: 8
    Technique: 14
    Power: 16
    Speed: 16
    Stamina: 15

77. JM says:

Danny Welbeck
    (Average heatmap: DF-23%, MF-21%, FW-56%)

78. JM says:

Save the best for the last.

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
    (Skill: Match-winning Finishes)
    (Teamstyle: **The Advent** – support type)
    Overall: 92
    Offence: 19
    Defence: 6
    Technique: 16
    Power: 16
    Speed: 20
    Stamina: 15

79. JM says:

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
    (Average heatmap: DF-4%, MF-29%, FW-67%)

JM !!!!!! what’s your point?? Can you please explain

81. Herb's Army says:

Hi Micky
    I think Ozil will benefit from a tactically disciplined manager, and under Emery he could flourish and finally show why we bought him and continue to pay him the big bucks. But reports that he was picking and choosing when to play doesn’t do him any favours.
    While he wears an Arsenal shirt, naturally I’ll support him, but more generally, I’m more excited about Arsenal than for many years.
    “Football isn’t just about trophies…” The mantra of the elitist money-rich Arsenal.
    For Europe’s elite clubs, that’s exactly what football is about, and they are ruthless in their pursuit of glory. Can you imagine Pep finishing sixth, and telling a packed press-conference ‘Football isn’t just about trophies…’ Or Mourinho, Klopp? I can’t imagine the greats like Shankly, Bob Paisley or Fergie ever saying something like that.
    Football is about chasing the glory that creates history, if you need an example of this, look at Huddersfield.

82. JM says:

Should Wilshere and Ramsey both leave, would/could Iwobi and Maitland-Niles be ready for more 1st team action and the like-for-like/ better replacements in midfield? If so, we can let both leave and the younger players take up more responsibility in the match day team.

Iwobi counts as one of our homegrown players starting the new season so it is an added plus. (either one of Macey/Emiliano as our 3rd-choice GK and Chambers, Holding, Bellerín, Welbeck shall count among homegrown as well). Returning loanees Bramall, Jenkinson & Akpom are unlikely to be retained. Emery needs to know which of our homegrowns to retain for maximum squad utilisation in the PL and EL competitions.

Other than Wilshere’s contract expiring, J.Campbell’s contract is also expiring at the end of this month. (so he is also likely to leave on a free after his WC tour with Costa Rica)
    What I gathered as well are these following players (together with Ramsey) shall have a year’s contract remaining:

Both starting GKs, Čech and Ospina
    Monreal
    (Ramsey)
    Welbeck
    (returning loanee) – Akpom

There might be new engagements from Sanllehi & Mislintat behind the scenes (under Emery’s instruction) to further their contracts (not announced publicly). Until then, these players will have their future status at our club speculated by media and social networks.

Lastly, our could-be soon newest defensive signing, Sokratis, seems to share the same player agent as his younger counterpart, Mavropanos, who signed with us earlier.

Mustafi and Özil also seems to share similar player agency; Elneny and Iwobi likewise between both. Xhaka’s, Bellerín’s, Aubameyang’s seems handled by family members/relatives. I am looking at patterns in player’s agencies that both Sanllehi & Mislintat could favour to engage after Emery has identified his basic requirements in the player’s skill-sets and role in the team.

Herb. “Football is not all about trophies” has nothing to do with Arsenal elitism, it is all about my own philosophy. I love the Arsenal whatever happens

For me it is always about the football. If I wanted trophies, I would have supported Liverpool or , god, forbid, MU.

Yes, I want to win but I want us to win with style. Glory? Definitely, but bore our way to it and the stands will be empty. It is called entertainment.

With you all the way on that Raddy – I would only change the end of your last sentence to – entertaining football.

I have never/ever been a trophy first supporter – Arsenal is my team – whatever happens.

85. Herb's Army says:

I get that Raddy, and we were definitely treated to that in the last days at Highbury, I just think it’s easy to dismiss the significance of trophies when you’re not really in the mix.
    I don’t think long-standing Arsenal supporters could ever be accused of being glory-hunters, for the reasons you stated, there are more obvious clubs to support if it was solely about counting trophies.

Herb, good to see you back on here. On the subject at hand, if we were having this conversation 10 to 15 years ago I would have agreed with you, however, the dreaded word is “change”. Yes, the word used by the wife asking you to “change” before she met Burt, and afterwards “I’ve changed” when you catch her in your bed with Burt.

The days of paying peanuts and getting peanuts from going to football is well and truly over. It is now more than ever an entertainment industry, illustrated by the occupants of the rich seats and the thirsty hordes of world wide TV viewer.

To illustrate this point, the mega rich clubs, with the exception of Man Utd, all chasing the holy grail of winning the Champions League, play an expansive and attacking form of football. City didn’t want Moronio, PSG tried to resolve there defensive problems by buying Neymar, and Barca, despite falling behind Madrid in Europe, thought it would be nice to stick to there pretty to the eye possession football.

The truth is, even if Moronio were to win the league, the discontentment, would still be there, and eventually he would be sacked.

Where I would sort of agree with you Herb, is that every club should play within there means. Yes, attractive football, but in the last few years we have been over doing it. We do not have the resources of the elite, so need to find a balance which veers a little bit more to practical football. Even shit clubs like Totnumb have grasped this point.

On conclusion, to prove I’ve changed and reached a new level of understanding and maturity, the first thing I did when catching the wife with Burt was demand, “stand up Burt, I want to see if your todger is bigger than mine”

I shouldn’t have done that. Now, I don’t sleep very well.

87. Herb's Army says:

Hi Terry, thanks, good to see you’re still here producing your own unique brand of comedy gold. Along with a few others you are a great asset to ‘AA’, and underneath that comic genius, I know you know football too.
    I fancy us to finish above Tottenham next season, Poch might be the best manager they’ve had in decades, but he and they are still quite a distance from any silver-ware, and their window of opportunity is closing.

I like this from Herb “Poch might be the best manager they’ve had in decades, but he and they are still quite a distance from any silver-ware, and their window of opportunity is closing.”

I also enjoyed that L’pool tried to sign a chap called Fekir and got told to Fekoff.

Transplant

“The days of paying peanuts and getting peanuts”

They were chestnuts actually, although I get your point.

Sunny morning all

Blimey, WC starts Thurs. Must be charts in the sunday papers

Who are the exciting outsiders to make a point of watching?

Group games i’m inking in

Nigeria Argentina
    Brasil Costa Rica
    Portugal Spain

Now, minnows who are exciting to watch. Help

94. VP of Oz says:

minnows to watch – Australia, being coached by ex WC finalist Bert Von Marwijk

95. VP of Oz says:

Dark Horse team has to be Croatia.
    Look how many great players, can they finish third again…

DF Šime Vrsaljko Atlético Madrid
    FW Ivan Perišić Inter Milan
    DF Dejan Lovren Liverpool
    MF Ivan Rakitić Barcelona
    MF Mateo Kovačić Real Madrid
    MF Luka Modrić (captain) Real Madrid
    MF Marcelo Brozović Inter Milan
    DF Tin Jedvaj Bayer Leverkusen
    FW Mario Mandžukić Juventus
    GK Danijel Subašić Monaco

96. Herb's Army says:

In isolation that looks a strong core group VP, and in the absence of an obvious outright favourite, they could create problems. Personally, I can’t decide between Brazil, Spain and Germany. Spain look a little light up top, but they do have Diego Costa. It may be a tournament too soon for their new generation.
    I worry about the whole integrity of the World Cup from a Russian perspective, because as it stands, nobody has the cojones to say no to Vladimir Putin, he is by far the most powerful leader in the world.
    Russia’s national side are FIFA’s lowest ranked country in the competition, but the conundrum is whether or not, for the sake of world ‘peace’, it’s okay for Russia to be eliminated at the Group stage (which I think would see them target England supporters, with the strained political relations and what happened in France at the Euro’s two years ago), or does everyone turn a blind eye and allow them to do what South Korea did in 2002? Or worse still, everyone rolls over and they win the whole thing.
    In terms of human development, it is incredible that the values of our historic sporting events can be so wilfully corrupted and held to ransom by individual ego’s.

I don’t think you can look past France. Brilliant attack, good defence and superb midfield – even without Payet.

South American teams have never won in Europe so I dismiss Brazil & Argentina.

Germany and Spain lack an out and out goalscorer. England have Harry K and if he performs they will do well.

The Croatia side is very good. Denmark will not win but could surprise few especially if Eriksen is in form (and it seems he is).

The golden generation from Belgium have a point to prove and certainly some wonderful players but have they the cojones?

Portugal? Euro Champs. Ronnie’s last hurrah. Could do well.

Herb. FIFA corrupt?? Surely not 😀

99. Herb's Army says:

Hi Raddy, it is one of my pet hates that once big money becomes the driving-force, sporting integrity takes a back seat.
    And one of my main critiques regarding Arsenal, going right back to the end of WWII is that the owners weren’t brave enough in their footballing decisions. We’ve experienced two types of conservatism at Arsenal, Henry Norris’s that was responsible for our dominance during the 1930’s, and post-war, almost a complete change of identity, as Norris’s model was replaced with self-imposed austerity, and it has impacted negatively on the club’s progress.
    Before WWII, United and Liverpool were minnows compared to The Arsenal, and we pretty much sat back and allowed them to leave us a long way back with no realistic hope of catching them.
    Nice line about Fekir, you’ve still got it, Raddy! 😁

100. Herb's Army says:

I sincerely hope I didn’t kill the discussion, and that everyone was too busy to blog!
    If, as we proclaim, we support Arsenal, warts and all, we acknowledge their history, and the aggressive, dodgy conservatism of Norris. To say we whole-heartedly support the self-sustaining model is to turn our noses up at what went before, in which case, Arsenal were formed after WWII.
    I remember it being quite a source of consternation on here, and people bursting blood-vessels in their frustration at trying to both explain and defend our model, almost as though Arsenal were winning some mythical moral war.
    Norris was far from perfect, and if he had got his first wish, Arsenal would have ceased to exist, because he wanted to merge the club with Fulham, his constituency. It only fell through because the Football powers of the time told him he’d have to start in the Second Division, and as Fulham were a First Division club the merger was binned.
    As a Tory MP, he was involved in all sorts of illegal financial skull-duggery, and Arsenal profited immensely. To renounce Norris and his contribution is to dismiss our five First Division titles and three FA Cups we won during the 1930’s.
    But we’ve won the FA Cup a record amount of times, so that isn’t happening. During the 1930’s, Arsenal were the equivalent of what City are today, so it’s hypocritical for us to complain about ‘monied’ clubs.
    It has to rank as one of football’s strangest transformations ever for a club of such stature and resonance.
    It’s like Norris gave Arsenal the wings to soar above everyone else, but his successors couldn’t cope with the power that Norris had unlocked, so they cut their wings off.
    That’s fine if you engage with the fans, so at least they understand that the owners value money over sporting achievements, but we know this wasn’t made public knowledge because GunnerN5 would have told us.
    So what are Arsenal’s ‘values’, and what is the Arsenal ‘way’?
    Because pre-war and post-war, we are looking at two completely different clubs.

No time to write a post but the possible transfer of Fellaini is worth one.

Good or bad?

Herb. It’s always quiet on Sunday and especially close season. Hardly anyone wants to chat football. Maybe we will attract more readers during the WC.

As to the Arsenal Way, it all stopped when the Hill-Woods left.

i love this photo!!!!

harry Kane and his childhood girlfriend at David Beckham academy. Harry and the girl are now getting married, how sweet is that? Very

Filth, Eddie 🙂

Hello, Fellows,

Seems like a good time to give a brief update while you are all out/on holiday or drunk (in Radster’s case).

As you can see, I am out and about again. Well you can’t see me, exactly, but you can see the rubbish typing deposits I make with shaky fingers.

I have had another brain scan, and the consultant doctor told me that they had been unable to find anything major, which is good, he thought, but also possibly not quite so good as the symptom’s were clear, but the explanation was not.”

Looking him directly in the eye – well, he had a patch covering the other one – I said, “give it to me straight doctor, what do you mean exactly? Are you saying you could find no discernible brain, hmm? Well let me tell you – if you go blabbing that story to the press, you will only be confirming what they already know – so don’t!”

He assured me there was some cerebral matter in there after all, but …… the results of the scan were not clear.

In short, more tests are needed. Yipeee.

Leaving the hospital later, I needed to cross the road, and on the pavement I looked to my left, for approaching traffic – all clear – then turned my head to the right to check traffic that side, when I was suddenly attacked by a dizzy spell and tipped forward and bashed into the side of a passing van I had not seen or heard.

Three people came to my aid (so I was told later) one of whom was the van driver. I apparently struggled to get to my feet while they tried to hold me down, and the woman, who was a nurse on her way home, hung onto my arm and shouted, into my ‘good’ ear luckily – “stay still you big f*cker – you’re drunk, you’ve cut your head, but we’ve called for an ambulance.”
    Just the sort of woman I like — and she did later apologise for the ‘drunk’ remark. 😀

Upshot – A&E said I would have some bruises and stuff, and they would let ‘my’ consultant know what happened, but I could go.

Don’t know what happened to the van driver – he went home with shock apparently, and the side of his van was a little damaged. Probably got bruises to match mine. 😀

I was bloody sore for two days. Hope he does not sue me.

I also hope poor old Tony Cascarino is recovering well, as I presume he has had his operation to remove the tumour by now.

Thanks too to the AA’ers for your well wishes, and I promise to reward you, by not writing any further updates.

Having read the comments from recent days, Raddy and Mickish have produced some little pearls that speaks to their alchemy, and many others have put forward some good stuff. too.

But Terry!! What can you say about that boy?

Some serious analysis of our current players, most of which I agree with, and then in a subsequent comment he tells us that we cannot compete financially with the wealthier clubs — and that we can only pay peanuts for players by comparison.

That sounds like the old adage – “if you pay peanuts you only attract monkeys” but in the time I have supported Arsenal, we have had many gifted, indeed wonderful players wearing the shirt, and I have loved most of what I have seen whatever the ups and downs of footballing life.

I have not loved some of the unfortunate comments made by undoubtedly frustrated fans, but perhaps the new manager and the restructured support team will change all that next season — at least until we lose a few games.

Ciao adios for now. 🙂

RA, Good to hear from you. If I understand you correctly they now believe that you don’t have a tumour – which if true is very good news. However the dizzy spells alone can be a big problem. I had a case of vertigo about 15 years back and I was not allowed to drive for over a month until it subsided – I had no idea what caused it or what cured it, but it was bloody scary, so I kinda know how you feel. I hope they can find both the cause and a cure in your case.

I intensely dislike the period in between PL seasons but at least the year we have the World Cup to enjoy – I just wish it was not being held in Russia. I’ve kept myself busy by creating my own spreadsheet on the WC schedule games, dates and times. It’s of no use to anybody but myself but it gives me the false illusion that I’m busy – doing nothing……………………….

107. Herb's Army says:

Hi Redders.
    Clearly you are not out of the woods yet but while there is some good news there is always a glimmer of hope. Good karma comes to good people, and you seem a good, affable sort. I don’t pray to any religious deity, but my thoughts are with you, and I hope you make a full recovery.
    No need to tread on egg-shells, but my comments weren’t aimed at negativity, more about how contrasting philosophies have impacted Arsenal’s fortunes. Supporters have no influence over that, but through our love for Arsenal we are called on to represent both philosophies.
    This was always the driving-force behind my mind-set when commenting here, when you, GiE, and others were constantly reminding me of our financial responsibilities as a self-sustaining club.
    I fully understand the model, the bigger question is why Arsenal felt the need to change a philosophy that made them such a dominant force.
    Undoubtedly it proves that Arsene Wenger had a much more difficult job than Herbert Chapman. Wenger arrived just as United were asserting a modicum of dominance, Chapman certainly had nothing as challenging to contend with. In fact, reviewing the compelling evidence, I have to acknowledge that during his time at Highbury, Arsene Wenger did better than Herbert Chapman.
    To challenge and push Ferguson’s United, for winning the PL title at OT in 2002 on the way to his second ‘Double’, and for doing something not even the great Fergie could achieve, the wonderfully incredible ‘Invincibles’. And the football was both breath-taking and exhilarating, pictures painted by celestial spirits.
    He is a true Arsenal legend who deserves a statue and one of the stands named after him.
    Looking forward, Unai Emery comes with pedigree and a very good CV, particularly with Sevilla, so I’m excited about this new chapter.
    Rome wasn’t built in a day, and it is essential that the fan-base show patience.
    My expectations for next season are for Top five, though not necessarily Champions League qualification.
    Arsenal have a little catching up to do and it won’t be an instant fix, but I am happy with the appointment of Emery, and happy to give him time to implement his tactical philosophy.
    More than anything else I am hoping that it can go someway to healing the schisms within the fan-base, and all Arsenal supporters embrace the future with a great sense of optimism.

Morning

We need a new post. Ummm…errr

It’s a process of elimination for me:

Can’t do shoehorning-in as Emery hasn’t told us what’s the formation
    Can’t do window shopping goss. for the same reason
    We/I’ll do a World Cup warm up on thursday
    So…topics for today?

And then, the most important question….is anyone out there to bother about? 🙂

One day closer to some football. Shame the first game is so lacking in glitz

Get writing Countryboy

How about an in depth comparison of the top 6’s defensive midfield formations and personnel?
    With appropriate conclusions as to what The Arsenal should be aiming for. 😊

Good Morning, Chaps,

I love your precis of the Post you are going to write, Chas, and cannot wait to read it. 😀

Herb,

Thanks for your comment @ 1:46.

We are all looking forward to the future at the club at the start of a new era, and that is what we should do on AA too — clean sheets are the way forward. 😀

POST SENT

(one on defence ROLF)

One of these less than fine days some of us will reach this point –

Cranky Old Man…..

What do you see nurses? . . .. . .What do you see?
    What are you thinking .. . when you’re looking at me?
    A cranky old man, . . . . . .not very wise,
    Uncertain of habit .. . . . . . . .. with faraway eyes?
    Who dribbles his food .. . … . . and makes no reply.
    When you say in a loud voice . .’I do wish you’d try!’
    Who seems not to notice . . .the things that you do.
    And forever is losing . . . . . .. . . A sock or shoe?
    Who, resisting or not . . . … lets you do as you will,
    With bathing and feeding . . . .The long day to fill?
    Is that what you’re thinking?. .Is that what you see?
    Then open your eyes, nurse .you’re not looking at me.
    I’ll tell you who I am . . . . .. As I sit here so still,
    As I do at your bidding, .. . . . as I eat at your will.
    I’m a small child of Ten . .with a father and mother,
    Brothers and sisters .. . . .. . who love one another
    A young boy of Sixteen . . . .. with wings on his feet
    Dreaming that soon now . . .. . . a lover he’ll meet.
    A groom soon at Twenty . . . ..my heart gives a leap.
    Remembering, the vows .. .. .that I promised to keep.
    At Twenty-Five, now . . . . .I have young of my own.
    Who need me to guide . . . And a secure happy home.
    A man of Thirty . .. . . . . My young now grown fast,
    Bound to each other . . .. With ties that should last.
    At Forty, my young sons .. .have grown and are gone,
    But my woman is beside me . . to see I don’t mourn.
    At Fifty, once more, .. …Babies play ’round my knee,
    Again, we know children . . . . My loved one and me.
    Dark days are upon me . . . . My wife is now dead.
    I look at the future … . . . . I shudder with dread.
    For my young are all rearing .. . . young of their own.
    And I think of the years . . . And the love that I’ve known.
    I’m now an old man . . . . . . .. and nature is cruel.
    It’s jest to make old age . . . . . . . look like a fool.
    The body, it crumbles .. .. . grace and vigour, depart.
    There is now a stone . . . where I once had a heart.
    But inside this old carcass . A young man still dwells,
    And now and again . . . . . my battered heart swells
    I remember the joys . . . . .. . I remember the pain.
    And I’m loving and living . . . . . . . life over again.
    I think of the years, all too few . . .. gone too fast.
    And accept the stark fact . . . that nothing can last.
    So open your eyes, people .. . . . .. . . open and see.
    Not a cranky old man .

Look closer and you will . . see .. .. . .. …. . ME!!

New post everyone …..

Rasp. I was in the process – had pics and everything!

Life goes on but at my age I look back reflectively on the years gone and wonder about the years/months/days that remain.

Live life to the fullest folks and wring every ounce of enjoyment out of your youth – as when you reach my age you question if it is indeed wasted on the young?

121. 1979Gunner says:

Iwobi isn’t good enough. He should go. Championship player at best. Wilshire should go if he’s expecting a guaranteed place in the first team.