Arsenals Top Season 2003-2004 Step up – Arsene Wenger’s Invincibles

They are the only team to go unbeaten for a complete season since Preston North End went unbeaten in the inaugural season of the Football League in 1889 with a record of P22, W18, D4, L0, GF74, GA15, Pts58.

In retaining the Premier League Championship in 2001/02, Arsenal had earlier equalled Preston North End’s record of going unbeaten away for the entire season by beating Manchester United 0-1 at Old Trafford in our final away game. Perhaps it was this outstanding achievement which prompted Arsene Wenger’s outrageous prediction in September 2002 that his side could go a whole season unbeaten – the journos and footballing establishment mocked such a claim.

The ‘Comical’ jibe plus beret were a reference to an Iraqi Information minister at the time

Arsene only used 22 players in the whole season with Jens Lehmann playing in all 38 games – which included 15 shut outs.

Although he performed well throughout the 2002/03 season, long-serving keeper David Seaman was released at the end of the campaign. Arsenal brought in Jens Lehmann from Borussia Dortmund for a mere £1.5 million – a steal, considering just how important he would be for Arsenal over the next 12 months. Due to building the Emirates there were no big-name signings; club captain Patrick Vieira signed a new contract in the face of strong interest from Manchester United, Chelsea, and Real Madrid. With Arsene not make any big changes to the squad, and with no major departures, Arsenal started the season with the same group of players as the previous season.

The season kicked off with Arsenal in inspired form. A 2-1 home victory over Everton on the opening day was followed up with 4-0 win over Middlesbrough, a 2-0 win over Aston Villa and a 2-1 away victory over David Seaman and Manchester City. With just four games played, Arsenal had already put three points between them and fellow title-chasers Manchester United, leaving them sitting comfortably in first place, having scored ten and conceded just two.

Our unbeaten run came close to ending at Old Trafford in the sixth game of the season when United were awarded a penalty in injury time (no surprise there) but (our least liked player) Ruud van Nistelrooy stepped up and missed the penalty and the match ended tied at 0–0. Tempers boiled over in the game dubbed the ‘Battle of Old Trafford’ following Vieira being given a red card.

October presented a tough schedule with a trip to Anfield and a home game against Chelsea.  Despite falling behind against Liverpool we recovered to win 2-1. Going into the Chelsea game, both sides were level at the top of the table and were also undefeated in the league. The game appeared to be heading for a draw until a Carlo Cudicini blunder saw Thierry Henry give Arsenal the win, bringing an end to Chelsea’s unbeaten run. Despite the fact we had still not lost a poor 0-0 draw against Fulham on Nov 30th gave Chelsea the chance to take over at the top of the table.

At the turn of the year Arsenal had made it half way through the season without tasting defeat in the Premier League and the unbeaten season began to take place: but despite this feat, Arsenal entered 2004 in second place, one point behind leaders Manchester United.

The Gunners’ first game of the year once again ended with a lacklustre draw against Everton, while United secured a victory to increase their lead to three points. Although, things picked up with a dominant 4-1 win over Middlesbrough, which saw us draw level with United on points, goal difference and goals scored. Henry then began a goal scoring run which would see him net in each of the club’s next six games, the second and third of which came against Aston Villa a week later giving Arsenal all three points. Despite a trip to title chasers Chelsea and a visit to Manchester City, February would prove to be one of the best months in the campaign, with five wins in five games.

After 30 games Arsenal had officially beaten the Premier League record of consecutive game without defeat.

The 31st game saw perhaps the game of the season with Thierry Henry scoring a blistering hat trick to beat Liverpool after being 2-1 down at halftime.

Henry beats Dudek having left a trail of prostrate Scouse defenders in his wake

On April 25th we went to White Hart Lane knowing knew that a single point would be enough to end any chance of a late Chelsea comeback. Goals from Vieira and Pirés were enough to secure a 2-2 draw that handed Arsenal the trophy at the home of the North London pretenders with four games to spare.

We saw out the final month of Premier League action comfortably, with a bore draw against Birmingham City followed up with a 1-1 draw at Portsmouth and a 1-0 victory over Fulham. Despite going behind in their final game against Leicester City, Arsenal bossed the second-half, claiming victory thanks to goals from Henry and Vieira.

After Arsenal completed the only 38-match season unbeaten, the Premier League commissioned a unique gold trophy to commemorate the achievement. Arsène Wenger was presented the trophy as a parting gift from the club after his last home game as manager on 6 May 2018.

Written by GunnerN5

96 Responses to Arsenals Top Season 2003-2004 Step up – Arsene Wenger’s Invincibles

GN5

My memory is in such a state that I’m unsure what day of the week it is, so when Chas said the other day he had the last of your series in the cupboard, I wondered which season you’d have as No1, because obviously I can’t recall which we’ve already enjoyed.

Got to say the Invincibles season surprised me. I was convinced you’d have gone for one of our doubles (“one of..”, sounds good eh)

Naturally, I would have gone for the season in which we scored the most goals, but I understand your logic. It was an unbelievable achievement.

Your read captures the magic

Great start to the day, and many, many thanks for the whole series, which of course, you can republish next season because for me they’ll be entirely new and fresh 🙂

Many thanks, GN5.

Not losing for a whole season was and always will be a remarkable achievement, rightly lauded as the pinnacle of Arsene’s Arsenal career.

We may have lost St Totts day for a couple of seasons but Invincibles Day will continue for some time, I’m sure.

GN5.

The end of a very enjoyable series, thank you.

Shocking that this was 14 years ago. It was a wonderful season and the jitters on that final day at Highbury when we went behind to LCFC were palpable.

It was a wonderful team.

Happy, happy Days.

Mmmm, wonder whether Chas could find us the winning goal vid from that last Leicester game. He’s only at work after all

The man rarely lets us down 😀

Wow, great work Chas. Thanks

Erik
    Agreed. He may let himself down on occasions, but never us 🙂

It was a superb, superb goal
    Watched it loads of times already
    DB10’s ball!!!! And some say we don’t need a Mesut 🙄

Immense work GN5, thank you for the whole series of posts.

Like you, I don’t see how the Invincibles season could ever be bettered … and due in no small part to the galvanising effect of the RVN incident in chas’ video.

It was Arsene’s greatest achievement amongst many ….. a gift to us all we will never forget.

The Invincibles players all looked after each other on the pitch, no one went into hiding. It looks like we may again have a team next season that can look after it’s own in physical battles. Like blogging, football is best when it has an edge … I’m looking forward to a more muscular competitive Arsenal on the pitch again.

thanks GN5, great stuff
    Good job your post wasn’t published after Emery’s appointement, otherwise the man would chicken out after reading it. He would know that nobody can replicate the success of 2004

“Arsenal look set to profit from unrest at Sporting Lisbon by bringing in highly-rated winger Gelson Martins – for nothing”

Firstly can I just say a big wishing you luck RA with your current health issues.

Thanks GN5. Your posts on this subject have been excellent. A great season it was and the only blot was our exit from the champions league. Chelsea with a Wayne Bridge goal of all things if I remember correctly but we were the dominant team. It was a side to behold that had everything that Gary Neville still rates above the current City side.

Sorry I missed your great post yesterday Micky so will say more on that subject a bit later, especially in light of comparisons between Mesut and Dennis.

For the WC I can’t see beyond Brazil at the moment but both Argentina and France have the quality to do it. Spain and Portugal I feel will be unspectacular and may struggle for goals but will be hard to beat. They could both do it if it becomes a tight cagey kind of tournament and knock out fixtures are kind to them.

The Germans seem uncharacteristically out of form but you write them off hitting form at the right time at your peril. I think England will progress but overall I don’t fancy us at all, and feel Southgate has made a glaring error in his squad that will undo us when we come up against better technical opposition. The Nigeria game, despite the win, already showcased this to a degree.

GB. You just ruined my day with a reminder of the “Wayne Bridge” moment.

The bastard celebrated the goal no more than 20 ft from me in the CE. Hated him ever since.

Trust GoonerB to mention something shite that happened that season.
    100% typical. ☺

Chas

Some, like us, have banked “highlights” of any particular campaign.

GB, and his sort, have banked “lowlights” of all campaigns.

aka the benchmark of misery 🙂

I think that fine fellow GB just balances the Yin with a bit of Yang on occasion 🙂 ….. but having been reminded of Wayne’s involvement in denying the Invincibles a crack at the CL trophy, I’m ashamed to say I begin to derive a modicum of pleasure from John Terry’s indiscretion 🙂

“Trust GoonerB”??
    100% typical??
    “GB and his sort”???? (WTF does that mean, which sort am I part of?)
    “aka the benchmark of misery”??

Well bollocks to the pair of you. I am sorry that I fail to portray how I truly am, and seem to come across as a constantly negative miserly scrooge type of character.

Actually I remember all the positive highlights of that season which was immense. I think we had a genuine chance in Europe with that side that year, so my comment was more that it was a shame we went out having been the dominant side in that tie. It wasn’t meant as a criticism to the club, Wenger, Herbert Chapman, whoever put in the foundations at Highbury, or anyone else you perceive me or “my sort” would like to blame.

Not specifically for the comments today, but more as a generalisation of how things tend to frequently unfold on here; I suppose at least I can’t be accused of being a bury my head in the sand and find any other excuse than anything related to the club sort. Or the “if we don’t talk about it, it never happened” sort. Or how about the pretending to be eternally jovial and positive when you really feel differently, but don’t want to leave the eternally jovial and positive gang so hide these feelings sort. To leave that gang sets you up to be shot at. You may be labelled as the constantly negative miserly scrooge type character or, even worse, be placed into the bad supporter bracket, so best to just hold back on how you really feel for much of the time…. = “aka” hypocrisy……

Morning all.

The choice of which was our best season was never going to be easy and Chas and I had many back and forth emails before in the end a decision was reached.

Firstly we won the league in all 13 seasons therefore they became our top seasons.

Now how would we sequence them?

First league Title?
    First FA Cup?
    First Double season?
    Most goals scored?
    Least goals against?
    Most wins?
    Least losses?

Well if we voted I assume we would get many varying opinions, I tried my best to take my personal feelings out of the final choice so I chose winning % and i fully expect that to be debated.

Seasons – Pts %
    1990 – 1991 – 74.6%
    2001 – 2002 – 76.3%
    1970 – 1971 – 77.4%
    1930 – 1931 – 78.6%
    2003 – 2004 – 78.9%

20. RC78 says:

After Lichtensteiner, touted PSG hot prospect Chadli also joins Arsenal on a free tranfer.

It seems that Fellaini would follow suit on a free transfer and maybe Gelson as well. If Gelson comes on a free, not sure about Forsberg.

I could see Minslat moving for both Fellaini and Nzonzi, giving options to Emery.

What did I say earlier about blogging being better with a bit of ‘edge’ 🙂

Sterling work from you and Chas GN5 as I said. I would have picked this as my favourite / our best season as well.

Nzonzi for me out of the two RC. I believe he’d play deeper. I’d still like to see us bring in a playmaker to find the strikers …. so many wasted runs up front last season.

Would agree with Nzonzi Rasp from the 2. I believe we have the required play makers already but haven’t had the balance to our sides in recent seasons that allows them to shine effectively. Had a post lined up with that discussion in mind with reference to Micky’s Ozil one, as you know, but in light of things I don’t consider it a good use of my time, which to be fair I have precious litlle of anyway at the moment.

Oops another difficult choice was how to handle the points for a win,

2 and 3 points as they were oroginally?
    all 2 points?
    all 3 points?

After many looks at different spread sheets it was decided to leave them as they were originally.

Haha, I almost believed your poor little offended boy act, GoonerB.

Not really that bothered about it Chas. I am big enough and ugly enough. I am not a sensitive soul and love a good bit of banter, but some of that mentioned earlier didn’t come across in a bantery way at all.

I am not bothered by it really but felt it was more to try and pigeon hole me while at the same time portraying a self holier than though, butter wouldn’t melt image, and I just felt a need to respond. Hey ho, I might have mis-interpreted of course, and am more sorry to have hijacked GN5’s post…..so moving on.

I hope the Yacine Adli rumours are true …. definitely one for the future …..

Not an issue with me GB – you have every right to express your opinion.

30. RC78 says:

By the way – the post is great and agree that this was our finest season. I think that the 2006 loss CL final basically buried us in Top 4 hunters rather than title contenders – that was the turning point.

Transfers:
    It is official – Chadli signed for Arsenal

Done:
    Lichten – offcial – Free
    Chadli – official – Fee

Sokratis – about to be officialized – 20 Mln EUR

Fellaini and/or Nzonzi in the pipeline – Fellaini (Free) ; Nzonzi (40 Mln EUR)

Gelson Martins and/or Forsberg in the pipelne – Gelson (Free) and Forsberg (44 Mln)

We need to offload now

What about Leno RC? …. I’d really like to see us recruit a top GK

32. RC78 says:

Leno is on the radar and Lafont is monitored too. Areola may be available too but while he is good on the line, he needs to upgrade in the air. Trapp may also be available. Bit I think Leno is better than the rest. Best of course would be Oblak but seems unlikely. Another great GK is Handanovic from Inter – I d take him in a heartbeat

33. fred1266 says:

Interesting we made a signing but today post isn’t about that am guessing you guys not to pleased

34. RC78 says:

Back to the post – one of our key players that season was Robert Pires but Edu was also phenomenal

Bad guess fred. Just enjoy GN5’s excellent work, we’ll no doubt discuss signings when the time comes.

36. RC78 says:

Also Lauren was outstanding. The team worked so well but the relationship in midfield and Henry’s crazy form snatched it

RC78, looking at the stats I was amazed to see the Henry (30) and Pires (14) scored 44 of our 73 goals (60%)

And that during the season only 14 players played in the majority of our games – 7 played in 30+ games, 4 in 20 + and 3 in 10 +.

Great stuff GN5

Readers, I am really shocked and saddened at your predicament. It goes without saying I wish you a full and speedy recovery. A few years ago I was the victim of a Conker attack and required treatment. In court, my assailants Barister claimed that his client had a £5 bet with a friend that he could knock my wig off and should be let off after forensic evidence showed I was using extra strength glue. The Doctor began by asking wether I was aware of my where abouts and if I now harboured any resentment to Chestnut Trees. It was then I noticed he had the PAC Man game on his mobile so an argument ensued pertaining to my notion that the PAC man face was inspired from the Rainbow character Zippy? He left the room and I overheard him telling the nurse “No MRI for him, there’s no danger of any growth on that brain”. Get well soon my friend.

It was a brilliant season GN5. I knew we could go unbeaten because leading into that season Arsene said we could.

The only downer for me was at Shite Hart Lane when Horse & Cart man mugged of Lehmann to win a penalty. But apart from that, it was a perfect league campaign.

Emery has big shoes to fill if he is going to emulate any thing near that. I really hope the supporters stick by him but the way some of our fan base is, it won’t take long before plenty start proclaiming they know better than him.

Time will tell. None of us can predict the future. Speaking of which, on my Tarot Youtube channel “Terry Predicts a Shit Time” I have, for a small fee, now started predicting the past. So if any of you have recently been through a particularly shit period, email me the details and I will let you know exactly what happened.

The Ghosts of the Thirties are Stirring

Chas I want to thank you for your splendid help and additions to the posts on our top 13 seasons. You manage to make dull text shine.

Terry you are as bonkers as your conkers stories.

Thanks for the comments.

Chas in your 7:57 – seeing Bergkamp thread the needle for Vieira reminded me of just how good they were – the goal was stunning in it’s simplicity.

Rasp I agree that we need a great goalkeeper – behind a defense that is both obsessive and aggressive.

43. RC78 says:

GN5 – usually to win a league, you need a core of 14-18 players to get you through. This is what we lacked the past few years:
    – Robust XI (playing the same players day in and day out)
    – Quality bench to add to the XI, as a supplement not as substitutes…

You look at Chelsea, Man City, Man Utd (last team that won under Fergie) and also now at Totty and Liverpool, their starting XI is often the same. Ours have been fluctuating mostly due to injury.

When players like Wiltord or Edu came, it added another dimension to our game. Now when Wilshere replaces Ramsey, same-same.

I am hoping that the current staff will build a strong (physically) team with some depth in terms of skill set as well. Since we lost Ox and Walcott, we dont have any wingers and we badly need to width to our game. If Gelson and Forsberg come, they are more than welcome. They have a different profile than Miky and Ozil.

Absolutely GN5. If we can’t get Leno, I’d be happy with Butland, he’s not up there with the very best but he’s a good strong keeper who commands his area.

45. Herb's Army says:

Sterling work as usual from AA’s unofficial historian. Arsenal’s version of David Starkey or Simon Schema* (sp).
    It befalls my human side to follow the rest of AA bloggers in wishing the best for RA, who at times has entertained us all with any number of literary epilogues. Despite our differences of opinion, you are still part of the Arsenal family, as such, a speedy recovery is called for.
    Hi GoonerB, I was so negative on here, I was chased off. You caught a little of it last summer, but that was quite tame compared to what had gone before. I got it from all sides, although, to be honest, never from Micky. I think the majority clung to the belief that Wenger would prove me wrong, but it’s a very fine line between being ultra-positive and translating that to the reality of Arsenal’s situation since leaving Highbury.
    Today’s Post celebrates Wenger’s & Highbury’s last great achievements, and he saved the best ’til last. To better Preston, Don Revie’s Leeds, and Brian Clough’s Nottingham Forest records is a fantastic achievement – (You all know about Preston (1888-89, 22 games),. Leeds went 29 games unbeaten from the opening day in 1973-74, until Stoke beat them, and Forest 42 games unbeaten over two seasons between 1978 – 1979).
    There is no debate regarding Wenger’s legendary status at Arsenal, and when you remember some of the giants of the game that have managed different clubs in England, it is even more remarkable.
    Micky, Dennis Bergkamp and Mesut Ozil are poles apart in respect to their application and commitment. Ozil has yet to prove he’s worth building a team around, and to give him a £350k a week contract is financial madness considering his under-whelming influence over the last five years.

46. Herb's Army says:

Schema should read Schama!

47. fred1266 says:

Anyone but Gelson martins Eddie he is Gervinho in disguise

““Terry Predicts a Shit Time” I have, for a small fee, now started predicting the past. ” LOL

GB. I hope you do not take offence, my comment was not meant in that way. I just was taken back to one of my worst moments as a Gooner – and I was at Wembley to see us lose to Swindon!

The loss to the Chavs was the only time I ever left Highbury before the final whistle, I was gutted. Who would have thought that a few months later I would be there celebrating the Invincibles season 😀

That’s football Raddy – a roller coaster of emotions.

GB “I am not a sensitive “. Oh yes you are

For my holy butter part, I’ll shift you into a different “sort” pool marked super sensitive, best add more than one smiley face to indicate not being too serious.

So here goes, I apologise

Herb

Love to discuss Mesut more, but it’s too early. I don’t believe the 350k week tag, but even if, that over 3 years comes to 50m, so if we got 20m for him in two . years it’s really good business

I have a feeling he covers more miles/game than people assume. Might look it up

52. RC78 says:

Ozil runs a lot, he also makes a lot of runs. The issue with him is his defensive runs are not incisive and his attacking runs are never runs passed the opponent. He excels at positioning himself in a good attacking position to find then a good pass or make a good play BUT you don’t see him enough (except 2 seasons ago) in the box. Ozil should have been our new Bergkamp by now but it is not happening. Ozil is a quality player – no doubt. But shall we build our team around him?

We have one world class player, Ozil, do I care how much he runs or if he can tackle? Not at all.

The man is just wonderful to watch.

Where is LB? He will tell you

54. RC78 says:

New post idea – The case of our defense: Which players should be offloaded?

Here are our defenders as of today:
    RB – Bellerin, Lichtensteiner, Jenkinson
    LB – Koli, Monreal
    CB – Koscielny, Mustafi, Chambers, Holding, Mavropanos

Knowing that we are most likely getting Sokratis or Soyuncu, we have to offload some players.

Which players would you offload, how (sale or loan) and why?

Have a great day!

55. RC78 says:

In terms of world class players, I think we have:
    – Koscielny when fit
    – Ramsey when fit
    – Ozil
    – Auba

RC78 – yes, I am often wondering why Ozil is not another Bergkamp. Apart from the obvious ie there is one God, you shall not have false gods,..
    Mezut is more delicate, not built like a brick shithouse, whereas Denis was. He will never tackle or defend at the same level. Otherwise he could play in any role, he is just brilliant. Building a team around him? probably not, he is too prone to going astray

raddy – did you know that Peter Stringfellow died today?

Sorry all for misleading, because the moment I thought about looking up the Mesut mileage, I realized how irrelevant the task was as even I wouldn’t care whether he was the logest, or shortest, distance runner in the side

Morning all, my take on Ozil.

He’s our best player. He’s world class. He’s not DB (for the reasons Eddie gave).

I’d say build the team round him if he was a strong character with leadership qualities who could motivate and lift the side. But there is where I think he falls short. He’s happy doing his thing … he doesn’t want the limelight, he sees the beauty in the perfect pass and constantly looks to unlock defences.

He’s a jewelled cog that keeps perfect time in a Rolex, he’s less effective in a Casio. he’ll always make our play fluid and create chances for strikers, he should be the first name on the teamsheet in games where we know we will be able to play football.

Make Ozil captain, purposely give him more responsibility, force the rest up to his level, not he down to theirs.

61. RC78 says:

One more defender being targeted: Klostermann from Leipzig. He can play CB and FB. It seems Minslat wants to bring in 2 CBs, which means that AFC will offload at least 2 of the current CBs or they buy Sokratis and Klostermann and loan out Klostermann.

Interesting…

62. RC78 says:

I think people give Ozil stick mostly because he should score more goals and could contribute more defensively. The guy creates chances and is always racking up assists despite playing with the likes of Wellbeck. So his creativity is never questionned.

I would play him but for team balance that would mean dropping Lacazette on the bench or playing Ramsey deeper, which would mean dropping Miky.

Teams need to be hard to beat and that requires defending as a team. Given our squad, some players may need to be benched to achieve the right balance. How shall we line up Ramsey, Ozil, Miky, Lacazette and Auba? In a 4-4-2 (diamond shape)? It would be possible if Ramsey and Miky pull their defensive share and we have a strong DM and fantastic FBs

This would be a very creative team and fund to watch but would it be balanced. I have my doubts

LB – NO!! Some people are not leadership material and do not want responsibility. I am one, my career ended when i was promoted to the managerial position, could not take the stress

Let Ozil do what he is doing best, orchestrate but not lead

Can any team afford a captain who is intrinsically shy? Use Ozil for what he does best, making him captain sends out the wrong message to the rest of the team.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see one of the new signings made captain …. but if he stays, I reckon the job is Ramsey’s

🙂 Eddie, I genuinely didn’t see your comment until after I’d sent mine …. does that mean I’m going to be labelled a doomer 🙂

Mmm, I agree with LB, Eddie and Rasp that Mesut is the first name on the sheet

However, like Germany, he’s best central with two good attack minded players either side with a striker ahead.

This must mean two beasty sorts of midfielders behind

For that reason, I’d flog Ramsey

We’d get good money which we’d need to get the sort of quality player(s) we need to get the balance right

rasp – wrong tense. NOT ‘I’m going to be’ but ‘you were’ 🙂 just like me and GB, all doomers. As opposed to happy clappy eternal optimists like the hippy, the drunken traveller (Gypo) and the Devonian recluse

Hi Micky, I’d be ok with Ranmsey going if we could find another gem like Cazorla. Surely we only need one midfield destroyer + Nzoni type?

Ozil isn’t the captain of Germany, I believe it will be Neuer …. no one messes with him 🙂

I reject that hat Eddie, I’m very optimistic about the coming season … more so than for many years 🙂

71. RC78 says:

Ramsey featured heavily in Away Kit promotion ends speculation about his future – he is staying with us and signing a bumper 5 years deal. Next up: Wilshere.

If we get Fellaini and Nzonzi, we can sell El Neny. We would have a solid midfield that would give us a lot of options in terms of set up as well.

DM: Nzonzi, Fellaini
    CM: Xhaka, Ramsey, Wilshere, AMN
    AM: Ozil, Miky

Micky, I don’t want to make this into a saga and no apologies needed for me. My response was more about a personal rejection of a portrayed image rather than being genuinely upset on an independent basis, and may have been a bit harsh in its delivery.

For the large part my perception is that I think I pretty much sing from the same hymn sheet as you anyway Micky, but I feel the perception of me has slowly become very different. Certainly at least very different to how I actually feel about the club, and the kind of person I am in my daily existence.

I have met both you and Chas personally and you are both 2 of my favourite people to catch up with. You get to know people a bit better (than you can just on here) when you have met them and I am surprised that my blogging persona has become that of an extremely negative and miserable individual that can see no right in anything. I don’t feel that way at all and don’t think I project that (both on here and in person) but maybe I do and just don’t realise it.

I certainly don’t want to create an environment where we are all tiptoeing around each other on eggshells and can’t entertain any banter. I love a bit of piss taking, but if you read it again can you see no other way that those comments could be taken (even if not intended that way) rather than just putting it down to someone being super-sensitive?

The dialogue is between you and Chas alone and is not involving me in it. It discusses me in the third person so I am in essence a separate 3rd party looking in on the piss taking of me rather than being a part of it like normal banter. As such the single smiley face looks intended for Chas and not to inform me personally that it is just a bit of fun.

Even then this situation doesn’t bother me for the majority of the time, that being if people want to crticise me indirectly rather than in direct communication to me. Little individual piss takes and criticisms don’t trouble me, but it looks to me like there has been a longer term consistent progression towards myself being pigeon holed as a permanently negative and miserable blogger.

If I have cultivated this and portrayed that persona to an accurate level then I feel have miserably failed in my blogging career and really ought to take up something else, perhaps basket weaving.

It is that longer term perceived image rather than any one thing that bothers me, but less because I am distraught about it and more because it alters my enjoyment of blogging and commenting. That is why I reacted harshly because the blogging enjoyment, and therefore participation, is just slowly ebbing away from me.

I get precious little time at the moment to do it anyway, so then why do something you have stopped enjoying? It is not about throwing my toys out of the pram and doing a dying swan routine, exiting stage left, just about the personal gratification, or lack of, in participating.

I feel I have to tread on egg shells now with every comment due to it now being a set in stone perception of what sort of blogger and person I am……….so you can add paranoia to the negative, miserable, super-sensitive tag and sort me into another category Micky 🙂 < please note smiley face 🙂 oohh and again 🙂

Anyway you and Chas are two of the most important people on here and keep it going, and I often read back and smile at the interactions even when I have not been around to be involved at the time. This I will continue to do so. Lets just move onwards and upwards because this is starting to sound like some sort of morose epitaph 🙂

disgusting: “Premier League TV rights: Amazon to show 20 matches a season from 2019-2022”. Now a fan has to have BT, Sky and Amazon accounts!! Unbelievable. Do those cretins at FA care at all about us? Stupid question

74. fred1266 says:

Hi Eddie heard about the Amazon deal this morning, just curious how do you guys watch Football in England wouldn’t it be via a one cable provider ?

In Trinidad we have several cable provider, so we just pay one and we get the different sport channels (cable channels)

75. fred1266 says:

I seriously don’t want Fellaini everytime we get a ManU reject it just goes horrible wrong

76. RC78 says:

fred1266 – I d take Fellaini as a sub to…Nzonzi 🙂

fred – I am moving to Trinidad, give me your address mate

it is a flipping nightmare here – I have BT so I cannot watch Sky games unless i pay extra. And vice versa, those with Sky have to pay extra to watch games showing on BT. AND it is expensive. The alternative is to stream – unreliable and 2 mins behind live. When we play spuds and they score I can hear the neighbours cheering before I see it on the screen.

78. fred1266 says:

We had it like that once Eddie then Flow (current service provider)
    bought rights to all Prem games, but they also arrange with Digicel who brings UCL games so we don’t have to take Digi in order to watch UCL

38 Caledonia Rd. Eddie

that also my address you can Mail my merci Arsene T shirt to

:):) yeah, I want that t-shirt too

38 Caledonian Rd and that’s it? No town, no postcode?

Nice district …

The 20 games that Amazon will stream are –

“The online streaming service has won the rights to show every game from the first round of midweek fixtures in December and all 10 matches on Boxing Day as part of the three-year deal.”

This makes it a little easier to accept because it means that us non Amazon subscribers will only miss out on 2 Arsenal games – unless we can watch them in a pub.

82. fred1266 says:

yea that it Eddie

that in Barataria though and Caribbean countries don’t have postal codes last i heard we were in the process of implementing it that has been about 5 years now

83. fred1266 says:

at 1:18 house on the left that me

84. fred1266 says:

well you can see he yellow wall not the house

fred 🙂 evolution not revolution then 🙂 who needs postcodes when you have good weather all year round?

fred – i just checked the official Arsenal shop – they are not selling those t-shirts anymore. On ebay they are going for £50+

how can the Club miss out on such great opportunity to make a bomb?

87. Ant' says:

Love the Dude in the pushchair Fred – Is that you

88. fred1266 says:

No ants am at 1:18

89. RC78 says:

It s a bit sad that neither Jenkinson, Chambers, Holding, Wilshere, Ox nor Walcott are part of the England squad. The only one is Wellbeck and it is a back up ;-( Once we had a few English players straight in the starting XI of England. Those were the days

90. RC78 says:

Nabil Fekir to join Liverpool of 65 Mln EUR and eventual 7 Mln bonus. Fekir can play as a winger or behind a striker. He is the archetypical Klopp forward player – pacey, hungry and ready to work for the team. He will compete for a spot with Mane and Firmino as Salah is untouchable. Fekir will be a crowd favourite

91. RC78 says:

Wellbeck scores again for England and makes it 8 goals in last 12 appearances for the Three Lions team. If he had that rate with us, he would score 13 goals in the EPL, which would be hugely beneficial. None of his goals for us came as a sub

92. RC78 says:

Play DW as a starter in the Cups…he may score

GB
    All good, no eggshells and much singing of hymns.
    I often refer to others on here as their “sorts” and it has no meaning whatsoever. I meant no harm.

Ok, Chas gon work

Edddiiiieeeeee….. come on girl, what’s going on? How’s Brexit going? ROLF

I need a transfer summary. Have we officially signed any footballers and if so, who and what cost?

As I said before Emery was appointed, I reckon it’s more or less a sell to buy policy, so I won’t expect more than one good player

Morning All