Alex Scott. A Thank You

This is the first of series of posts throughout the summer saying farewell to Arsenal stalwarts. We are entering a new era with the inevitable casualties as people retire or are moved on.

First in the series is Alex Scott. Who? You don’t know? Arsenal Captain, 140 caps for England, MBE – yes … MBE! The only other Arsenal player I can think of who has a gong is TA6 (Alan Ball got one but not whilst at AFC).

Alex started her career at AFC at the age of 8, had one season at Birmingham and then returned to AFC where she became a cornerstone of the best Women’s team of all-time, winning the Quadruple in 2006/7 including the UEFA Champions League Cup – the first British team to do so.

images-1.jpeg

Alexandra Virina Scott has played at right full back and winger, she is a better Ashley Cole.

A spell in USA followed before returning for her third and final stint at AFC.

In 2016 Alex even won Bear Gryllis’ Mission Survive.

This is a proper AFC legend having won 5 League titles, 7 FA Cups, the Champions League plus numerous other Cups.

AT 33, Alex hangs up her boots. She has a burgeoning career in the media both as a journalist and TV pundit. Her smile and winning personality added to her knowledge and passion for the game make her a natural for television.

Alex, you are are an Arsenal great. Thank you so much for your efforts over past 25 years. There should be a statue.

Written by BR

30 Responses to Alex Scott. A Thank You

Cheers, BR.

Thanks, Alex.
    Along with your footballing abilities, your massive smile will be sorely missed around the place.

2. VP of Oz says:

Brilliant BR. Many thanks for your post.
    This is why AA is the best

3. VP of Oz says:

Alex Scott (snippet from in her own words)
    Let me start by saying that I never once saw myself becoming a captain.

It’s weird because some people say, ‘They’re born to be leaders, they’re born to be captains’, but I never would have said that about myself, especially when I was growing up in east London.

There were only two girls who used to play inside the concrete football cage back then, me and friend Kim. We would join in with all the boys from the neighbourhood and, even though my brother would also play, I still had to earn my place.

I guess that equipped me to go on to become the person I am today. You had to earn everything in that football cage and nothing was given to you. Nobody was going to give up their spot on their team unless you were good enough to be picked.

Read more at https://www.arsenal.com/news/alex-scott-my-own-words#F1mOzqVTMbRrXJ73.99

Great news. Allah Dichay is available. Ex England manager, played for MU. Gazidis is already on the phone

5. fred1266 says:

Didn’t realise she retired aswell, was reading her article yesterday very interesting

Chas do you think we will ever again see football of the quality played in your 6:58 on yesterday’s post. I have my doubts.

Thank you for the post Raddy, Alex had an incredible career at Arsenal/England and fully deserves any and all the accolades she receives.

Sign Marcello’s son!!!!

12. VP of Oz says:

This is my theory.
    The Arsenal board will continue to sound out all and sundry potential managers. The process becomes drawn out. The CL final concludes and we announce ZZ as our new coach.
    Smoke and mirrors until they can make their ZZ announcement but has to wait until after the CL final to ensure RM are focused on the cup.

Super tribute Raddy, thank you.

I confess I don’t know that much about our women’s teams. AS is clearly a fine example to any young aspiring female players, and a great servant to AFC …. she’ll have a bright future ahead in the media I’m sure.

Two managers have got the bullet so far today …. Allardyce and Moyes … no great loss 🙂

Does that show that British fans are becoming more discerning and are demanding attractive entertaining football rather than grinding out results? … and might the work of a certain Arsene Wenger have something to do with that?

Breaking — England announce 23-man World Cup squad

Goalkeepers: Jack Butland, Jordan Pickford, Nick Pope.

Defenders: Trent Alexander-Arnold, Gary Cahill, Fabian Delph, Phil Jones, Harry Maguire, Danny Rose, John Stones, Kieran Trippier, Kyle Walker, Ashley Young.

Midfielders: Dele Alli, Eric Dier, Jordan Henderson, Jesse Lingard, Ruben Loftus-Cheek.

Forwards: Harry Kane, Marcus Rashford, Raheem Sterling, Jamie Vardy, Danny Welbeck.

Stand-by: Tom Heaton, James Tarkowski, Lewis Cook, Jake Livemore and Adam Lallana.

Well done, BR, and a fine tribute to the women’s team, and its captain.

Sadly, I had no idea who you were referring to, but I wish her and the other Arsenal team members all the best for the future.

You may have gathered I do not follow women’s football, and if I am honest I do not think I ever will, but it does seem to be becoming increasingly competitive as more of the ‘big’ clubs get involved — so one day …… 😀

I read somewhere that the following event had occurred;

” A reported Arsenal boss target, Ralph Hasenhuttl, has left his position as head coach of RB Leipzig”

Now we have all become familiar with the term “Fake News’ since that plonker Trump got elected, but – HASENHUTTL – has shades of Micky-Done-Did-It about it.

Imagine — “ARSENAL APPOINT HASENHUTTL AS COACH” — YEAH RIGHT!! 😀

20. fred1266 says:

Rcl over jack madness

We should be playing tonight in Lyons.

Sad for JW but his withdrawal from the last squad was significant, it made Southgate realise he cannot rely upon Jack’s fitness

22. fred1266 says:

Not like welbeck is any better

Every now and then I am shocked in a good way about a theory that had never crossed my mind and VP’s 12.20 is up there with the best of them.

Is this where we ought to be setting our expectations…….. getting the bus in Walthamstow?

Bus – Yes
    Walthamstow – definite No.

Off on a completely different tangent

I met an Everton supporter in Spain last week and of all the funny names they have for Liverpool supporters the one that made me laugh, although it probably shouldn’t have, is: The Wall Pushers.

I’m back working as of today, so less time in the mornings.

This is a bit shite but keeps the wheels turning.

NEW POST

Recruiting a physio on Arsenal.com doesn’t suggest tat the club are expecting a manager to come in with his team.

More interested in this role though:

It’s the assistant kit manager if link doesn’t work

One of the requirements:

Knowledge of automated kit control systems

The world has changed!