What is supporting The Arsenal all about?

Written on Saturday soon after the managerial announcement, this comment from one of our respected bloggers already seems prophetic with regard to the journos’ insatiable need to stir up discontent within the Arsenal support. ‘Did he jump or was he pushed?’, ‘ Wenger lets rip at hurtful  fans’ etc etc.  Anyway back to the question, What does your support of Arsenal Football Club amount to?

Now see what happens…..there is no will he won’t he leave debate anymore so the press with all their “wisdom” need something else to generate some much needed ad revenue, and sadly Arsenal fans as so oft publicised are one of (if not the most) internet savvy/enabled/keen bunch of fans. So what are they going to do to get more hits, well make more stuff up obviously.

Seriously, has anyone really known any serious leaks to come out of Arsenal, ever, apart from discontented players when they leave or players that mis-speak in interviews. Those working in the club can give no comment as doing so will be seen as a “cover up”/“united front” and by not commenting and not denying they allow the rumours to persist. But they are inbetween a rock and a hard place and there’s no way out of the hell.

As Welsh Gooner predicts ( ed: that our ‘entitled’ fans won’t suddenly disappear) and the people Rocky refers to above (see Saturday’s post) we are not going to get away from this churlishness, neither in blogs or on the terraces, they will survive because unlike those of us who grew up in a different generation, football is apparently all about winning, it isn’t.

It’s about the the atmosphere, it’s the smell of burgers and fried onions as you walk up Avenell Road, it’s the sea of red and white shirts on their way to and from a game, it’s about sharing the same hopes and dreams.

Not once have I ever expected a win/demanded a win.

I’ve been disappointed, heartbroken, ecstatic, angry, joyful, satisfied and any other emotion you can think of whilst watching Arsenal, but isn’t that why we go? Isn’t that proof that we care, but if somehow you think because you’ve bought a shirt from the club shop or have a season ticket or go to one game a season somehow you are entitled to demand success. Then you are watching the wrong sport, in the wrong country in the wrong way.

Just extrapolate the thought process. “We should win every week” > if we should and could that means every opponent will lose, which means every opponents ground will be empty because why would they bother, and at that point it’s not sport anymore, and you never suffer the injustices, the hurt, the pain, so the wins are never going to bring you nights of elation.

If Arsenal could win every season I would not have jumped so high with arms outstretched smashed a light in the lounge when Mickey Did It, I wouldn’t have had that joy, that one moment of pure elation was probably enough for me, it’s lived long in the memory (I was 13) that’s 29 years ago. The fact that in the meantime we have suffered ups and downs, is what has made every trophy since joyful, and for some pretty painful evenings too. Giggs, Lehman, Koscielny/Szczesny (I could go on).

But Overmars at OT, Wilford at same place, Limpar from the half way line, Henry v Spurs mazy Run, Merse’s chips, Wright’s over and over and over v Everton, God v Newcastle, Rambo vs Hull and Chavs, Linighan v Sheff Wed, Morrow v Sheff Wed, etc etc these are the moments we cherish as fans, because they’re special, they’re not every day of the week.

I’ll support the next manager like I supported Arsene, like I supported Neil, Howe and Graham and yes even Rioch, because :

You are my Arsenal,
My only Arsenal
you make me happy when skies are grey
you’ll never know just how much I love you
until you take my Arsenal away,
la la la la la, oo,
la, la la la la, oo,
la la la la la la la la la la la”

Written by GoonerInExile

50 Responses to What is supporting The Arsenal all about?

Cheers, GIE.

Love the Ooooo Ooooo bits in this. 🙂

That’s brilliant Chas, although think they are singing “notice” not “know just” bloody tourists 🙂

GIE
    So do the Arsenal Away Boyz. 🙂

Great work GiE, luckily all those great things you list about football still exist and no one can take away the fantastic memories of past achievements. And, yes, in an ideal world, that is what football is all about.

We are lucky to have had our supporters’ grounding through years when the media weren’t constantly trying to mess with our heads ….. as always, money is the root of the problem …. the naivety has gone for ever, football has become quite cynical.

I’m not sure I believe you when you say ‘not once have I ever expected a win’ 😆 … but I agree with the ‘demanded’ aspect.

I guess the factions/disquiet/unreasonable expectations are all down to tolerance …. on all sides and the ability of the individual to employ a personalised media filter that enables them to get close to the truth.

The club operates as a modern business and that includes manipulation of the media to further our business interests. The downside is that the positive vibes they send out are swamped in a sea of sensationalism and negativity from elsewhere …. bad news sells newspapers etc.

This all gets into the psyche of the supporters and the sense of entitlement grows out of all proportion.

I see nothing wrong with wanting the team to win and being disappointed when they underperform …. but the way that displeasure is expressed is a growing problem in football.

Paradoxically, at the end of the day, it was the apathy and the empty seats that probably had the greatest impact on Arsene’s departure, not the idiots with banners or on Arsenal TV who have embarrassed us so recently.

Excellent Exile, many thanks

Have to be brief and then scarper

I’d add that as a supporter, how you lose is more revealing than how you win, and in that context I agree with you wholeheartedly

(ps Chas. Every semi and every front garden comment is noted and enjoyed 🙂 )

6. TotalArsenal says:

Well GiE that was a joy to read – straight from the Gooner heart and putting things in perspective for us all. 🙂

I just want to add that we should be wary of being drawn to Arsenal-negativity too much. On the day of Arsene’s announcement, BBC One six o’clock news opened the bulletin with Arsene’s departure and they gave him a beautiful and befitting ‘eulogy’; and fellow managers, tens of thousands of fans and ex-players have been singing his praises for what he did for the beautiful game in this country. Through his sporting achievements and the legacy he leaves behind at Arsenal, Arsene has become immortal and I, for one, was pleasantly surprised with all the praise and recognition he received post his announcement. Who nowadays becomes immortal anymore? Arsene is and the mere press mortals will never take it away from him, however hard they try. 🙂

Final shout to Mr footie experience, Das Chas. I keep enjoying your fabulous contributions to AA. 🙂

Rasp, I don’t watch Arsenal Fan TV, but I watched that clip yesterday that Chas posted, what I noticed and what adds to your theory is the Ladbrokes sponsorship. I have a YouTuber as a client who pulls in around £10k a month in ad revenues from 350k subscribers in a positive way. Dread to think how much those boys are earning!

Well done GIE it sums up my love for Arsenal.

I look forward to each and every game and my biggest disappointment is if I miss watching a game – a very rare occurrence. Of course I’m upset with every loss and points dropped but like yourself I never expect a win.

Arsene’s loss to Arsenal will be felt for many years to come. A manager of his quality is a once in a lifetime event.

Your sons are growing up in the same type of household as GN5 did and will become steeped in Arsenal traditions.

Hi GiE, I missed that … very astute of you. We mere ‘consumers’ are targets who have no inkling of just how much media manipulation/product placement we are subjected to.

I’m lucky to be going on Thursday and to his last home game on Sunday …. hopefully those will be joyous occasions and Arsene can leave us with a few more great memories.

Watching him answer the questions in the video chas put up yesterday, you could see that he is very emotional … close to tears, we have to show him only our gratitude and affection from now on.

I have no doubt the club will, in due course, find a fitting way to acknowledge achievements …. whether its a statue, renaming the stadium, or some other permanent testament.

Thanks GIE, very well written. I always enjoy all those matchday experiences you mention and the pre-match pub experiences and catching up with other gooners.

I am certain that there are a certain amount of fans that have this “entitlement” to winning silverware and a certain amount that are rather vitriolic in their views on the club and the manager. However I will reiterate again I feel they are somewhat a minority from what I see and hear around me.

I think there is another section of fans to consider. Ones that don’t feel an entitlement to winning every year but do feel we should be striving to at least compete at the business end of things. Fans that may feel we are repeating the same mistakes year after year that stop us from developing and moving forwards into a more competitive arena. Fans that feel we are not the sum of our parts and that the squad is far better than the performances and results we have seen all too frequently and that we lack consistency unnecessarily because of this. Fans that feel we are, in essence, under-performing relative to our resources.

There can be a big difference between a fan that is entitled and vitriolic and a fan that feels we should be at least showing some consistent progress to give us a chance. I think Rasp’s last paragraph perfectly encapsulates where many fans had got to, and it wasn’t really about an entitlement to winning.

These entitled vitriolic fans are probably the ones more at the forefront of the thoughts of many on here, when thinking about the modern Arsenal fan, because they are the ones more represented by the media. Why? Well because they provide a better story, something more sensational and newsworthy. They aren’t interested to hear from the fan that appreciates the manager but can put across a calm and reasoned argument as to why they feel we need something new. Too boring for them.

We can take the line that the media have managed to brainwash a large section of Arsenal fans into becoming negative, entitled and vitriolic. The other consideration is that the media have brainwashed other Arsenal fans into believing that these fans exist in far larger numbers than is actually the case, and the reality is the majority of fans remain very reasoned non entitled individuals.

I think Total makes that very point very well about putting what you think you see into perspective and not assume that the Arsenal fan base have become a majority of entitled vitriolic individuals, otherwise you are buying into that media agenda that we are ourselves are consistently accusing many fans of buying into and turning them to extreme negativity.

By the way, there was a very good little article I saw yesterday written in the Irish Independent putting across an argument as to why Arsenal had become the favourite of many neutral fans to watch, and why there was perhaps more fascination with us outside of the actual Arsenal fans in many ways. If anyone can find it and put it up it might be worth a read.

12. VP of Oz says:

sorry for stealing the below Nick Hornby article off ESPN –
    (ESPN: We asked Nick Hornby — novelist and screenwriter who wrote about his obsessive fandom of Arsenal in “Fever Pitch” — to assess the news that Arsene Wenger was leaving Arsenal Football Club after 22 years as manager.)

LONDON — The school that my sons attend, a stone’s throw from Highbury Stadium, a slingshot from the Emirates, does not allow mobile phones on the premises. Every morning, my boys and the friends that walk to school with them leave theirs in our kitchen, where they lie still and silent until the end of the educational day.

They surrendered them as normal on Friday morning, and I sat down to read the paper in the suddenly peaceful house, but then the phones all started to buzz and ping at the same time. There is only one subject — Arsenal Football Club — that can provoke that kind of simultaneous activity. Even news of a North Korean nuclear strike would probably drip through over several days. My own phone had started to buzz, too; by this stage, it was hard to imagine what else could have happened, apart from the resignation of Arsene Wenger.

The boys who leave their phones in my house every day are in their early to mid-teens. None of them saw Arsenal play at Highbury; typically, they started going to the Emirates between 2008 and 2010, and they have enjoyed some good times. They saw Cesc Fabregas and Robin Van Persie at the peak of their careers. They celebrated three FA Cup final wins in four years. They were there the night that Andrey Arshavin scored the winner against Barcelona, and the night that Thierry Henry made his second debut for the club, aged 35, and came off the bench to tuck one into the far corner of the Leeds United net just as he did scores of times at Highbury.

But even these highs didn’t count for much. Barcelona won the second leg comfortably, and Henry’s goal came right at the end of one of the most dismal games I’ve ever seen. The FA Cup win over Hull City that ended the nine-year trophy drought was mortifying until Laurent Koscielny equalized late in the game.

For the most part, they have experienced more disappointment than pleasure: championship challenges that petered out in March, big games against big teams that frequently ended in humiliation. (However long the memory, no Arsenal fan had ever seen their team concede eight in one game until 2011). They have watched Nicklas Bendtner and Emmanuel Eboue, Philippe Senderos and Sebastien Squillaci, Johan Djourou and Carl Jenkinson, Marouane Chamakh, Andre Santos and Manuel Almunia, frequently all at once. And those players were directly responsible for the loss of others they loved, notably Van Persie and Fabregas.

It’s true that most football fans have been disappointed more than they have been elated, but the boys’ parents remember something else: an eight-year period in which Arsenal were as good as anyone in Europe. To own a season ticket during that time was heaven, a passport to the best football in Britain, occasionally to the best entertainment in London. The team probably didn’t win as much as it should have done — bring up the subject of the Invincibles 2003-04 season with any Arsenal fan and the catastrophic defeat to Chelsea in the quarterfinals of the Champions League will be mentioned in the next sentence — but my memories of Arsene Wenger’s time will always involve Henry and Dennis Bergkamp, Robert Pires and Freddie Ljungberg, Patrick Vieira and Sol Campbell, Double-winning seasons and breathtaking, muscular, deadly football. The worst thing the opposition could do against Arsenal in the early 21st century was win a corner: you were much more likely to concede than to score.

But nobody under the age of 20 really remembers any of that. When pundits accuse angry Arsenal fans of having short memories, one could equally argue that their own memories are now too long. If you’re over a certain age, the Golden Age of Arsene only seems like yesterday, but my sons and their friends are fed up of hearing about what a 68-year-old man did a decade or more ago. They are disoriented: Arsene has been the manager of Arsenal their entire lives. (By comparison, they have lived under four Prime Ministers and eleven Chelsea managers.) But they are excited, too. They have been yearning for the future for a while.

Wenger has always had faith in his own abilities but he’s rapidly shown he lacks vital new ideas.
    I am guessing that Wenger didn’t want to leave until his contract had expired at the end of next season. He has always had faith in his players and in his own ability to turn things around, but the truth is that he hasn’t been able to meet the new managerial challenges in the way that Sir Alex Ferguson did.

Ferguson saw off Wenger, then Jose Mourinho and even the financial muscle of Manchester City, but Wenger has been looking on for a while, frustrated and increasingly myopic.

For me, the league cup final in February against Manchester City became the moment when it all seemed hopeless. Manchester City are by far and away the best team in the country, so defeat was no surprise and no disgrace. But the manner of the defeat was dismal.

By my estimates, only 10 teams have lost by three goals in an English cup final in the past 50 years, which happens to be the time I’ve spent watching Arsenal: 10 out of 100. And some of those teams were lower-league sides out of their depth — in recent years, Millwall against Manchester United, Bradford City against Swansea.

The only time I have ever seen Arsenal lose by more than one goal in a final was in 1969, when third-division Swindon beat them 3-1 after extra time, so even the most disappointing cup final performances provided a pounding nervousness and a sense of desperation in the last couple of minutes. Most finals are cagey affairs and when one team is (on paper) grotesquely inferior, they usually come up with a plan to stop the good team from playing. That’s how Wigan beat Manchester City a few years ago, and how Wimbledon once beat Liverpool.

There was no evidence of any tactical idea when Wenger took on Guardiola. Arsenal did what Arsenal have often done over the past decade: fiddled around until conceding a desperately soft goal and then fiddled around some more until conceding a couple more.

I was one of the thousands of Arsenal fans that left early, with 25 minutes to go; by the final whistle, there was almost nobody in red and white left in the stadium. There was no anger, really, just a sense that the big clubs were now way out of Arsenal’s reach, but Wenger & Co. were unwilling to compete in the way that a small club might, by scrapping, hustling and denying space.

Four days later, a very few of us went to the Emirates on the coldest night for years to see exactly the same performance and result. I lasted for an hour at that one. I never walk out of games early, and disapprove of those that do, but in these circumstances staying seemed like a form of self-harm. After that week, there were empty seats, thousands of them, at all the home games. Something had died, and it wasn’t about to come to life again.

There will never be a better Arsenal manager and there will never be a smarter or more likeable one. The moment those phones started to buzz, it became possible to see the totality, the significance and the joy of Wenger’s extraordinary career at Arsenal. The buzzing had to happen, however, before the bigger picture was again visible. And what a picture it was.

Wow that is powerful stuff from Nick Hornby …. In one article he sums up both sides of Arsene’s history and the relationship of age to the perception of the Arsenal over the last 22 years … after reading that, I feel there is little more to be said.

Thanks for putting that up VP, a very powerful piece of writing. That fellow should think about a career in writing.

It quite accurately describes where I have been for the last while with my opinions and feelings. The only thing I would add is when he says we are far away from the top teams I don’t think we need to be. I don’t feel it is beyond us to be back among them.

When we say City have been the best team this year that is true. When we say we can’t compete with them I don’t agree, and I don’t think we have to start playing like a mid table PTB team to beat them. There are many other tactical considerations that can bridge much of the gap between us and them.

If they can’t be beaten with good football then how come Liverpool managed to expose them with ruthless efficiency twice this year? Look at that Liverpool team on paper and tell me where it is so vastly superior to ours.

This Hornby chap with an apparent aptitude for writing seems to have hit the nail on the head regarding father time and a lack of new ideas. It doesn’t for one minute mean that we are not about to say an emotional good-bye to our greatest ever manager, whose contribution to this club is frankly immeasurable.

I love this line …. “The worst thing the opposition could do against Arsenal in the early 21st century was win a corner: you were much more likely to concede than to score.” ….

Apologies if anyone has already posted this … poor Wrighty must be devastated …

that is an amazing piece from Nick Hornby, I love every sentence, so true.

…and equally good piece from GiE, thank you sir.

I remember chas describing the scent as ‘fried onions and horse shit’, but your ‘burger and onions’ is more appealing. Yes, I love the walks to the stadium shoulder to shoulder with my extended family, the excitement and anticipation that each game brings, the joys of winning. No, I never got round to gracefully accepting defeats, i am just a sore loser.

But there is nothing, absolutely nothing worse than resigned acceptance of not being the best. Football is a very competitive sport, how many other sports have longer running annual competitions with precious few cups to be won by dozens of teams? You simply have to be the best to win them and I would like to see the Arsenal being there amongst the best again. At the moment we are not, we are living of the past glories.

Oh, there is one more thing that is even worse – being a laughing stock. Other fans singing ‘Arsene Wenger we want you to stay’.

I’d rather eat horse shit than a burger.

GB I think the date of Rockys article was 2012, so the comment about entitlement was probably more aimed at those times, the thing is that wasn’t the first time we had heard it, had probably been hearing it for one or two seasons before that too, there was no rationality.

And whilst the majority of fans were not and are not like that my point is that those who started the discontent will still be there next week and next season ready to be outraged again, I doubt they’ll give the new manager time, I may be proved wrong.

We have had a shocking season, no one can disagree and like most others I’ve been going Arsene would call it a day after anyone of the last FA Cup wins to go out head held high. To go out after a damp squib of a season seems wrong. To be forced out seems wrong. As he has said he worked 7 days a week for Arsenal, probably loved the club too much, like Cloughie and Forest. But if that’s the biggest criticism of a man, it says a lot about the man.

Guilty secret No 7: Anfield on a European night. Crikey

Apologies, for legal reasons I cannot publish No’s 1-6 🙂

Excellent point GIE. Unfortunately I think the slide could be seen coming so if he leaves on a damp squid of a season it will be more to do with not having picked the right earlier time (after an FA cup win as you say) to leave with head held high…….but a EL win would make it an excellent end to his tenure, albeit it would make the season as a whole look a bit weird in its inconsistencies, but isn’t that what the recent Arsenal is all about?

Can we talk footbally matters? I personally feel we need possibly up to 2 new CB’s for next season; Kos can’t play a full season, Mustaffi I feel is in reality squad standard. Chambers and Holding? Maybe one of them may become good enough but right now? It seems that Stones may become available for £40m something.

Just because he doesn’t quite fit for Guardiola I don’t think it means he is not a top CD in the making. If our new coaching set up allows for Merts, Bould and maybe even a Keown to work with him I think he could be good value at that price.

Any thoughts? GIE you know more about this and the types of CD’s you feel comfortable in front of you. Would you be happy with him?

Isn’t Nainggolan the bloke who does that weird, but brilliant, back tackle shit?

GB
    In case you were thinking of asking me about defenders, I’ll save you the time… 🙂

What a goal. Did they just say Salah has scored 42 goals this season?

Hey GB, I see you mention Bould in your future plans as defensive coach

You could ask me what I think of Stevie Got No Hair We Don’t Care Bould’s contribution in that department, and I may reply how beautifully I think he sits in the front row seats holding an ipad 🙂

Mo Salah for the Balon D’or anyone?

why not 🙂

Rumours abound a plenty Micky that Bould is not allowed to defensively coach as he would see fit but this doesn’t feel like the right time to overly analyse that particular accusation again. A few games left to get behind the team and manager then we can work out next season what will make us defend better…..not that you care about that insignificant shite stuff Micky 🙂

nope 🙂

What a game, I wish we could play like that on Thursday

How the deck Roma beat Barca??!!

7 goals. Fine game but, wow, did Klopp do his best to throw it away by taking Salah off. Nuts

Trying to work out our best line up for Thursday and am unsure what that may be without Aubemayeng, and bearing in mind the opposition. We will have to get that blend we rarely manage of being patient and solid but still having a goal threat at the same time.

Looking at Liverpool tonight the thing that strikes me is that they have loaded the team with pacey players through midfield and attack that carry goal threats and can break quickly in numbers while still having players who can give width. Chelsea had a similar thing with Hazard and Willian which gave Giroud more support and gave pace out wide when needed plus Kante gives some pace down the middle.

Both will have some more technical slower players they can accommodate but we have too many of them at the expense of that pace and natural width at times. We have what we have at present so we have to work with it.

Our width will mainly come from the FB’s so we have to be careful they don’t exploit this, and I worry about a lack of support from our less pacey midfielders to support our lone front man.

With Danny hitting some form I would be tempted to play him and Laca as a mobile 2 man strike force so no one player is isolated and who can work laterally across the opposition defensive line. I would have Xhka as a deeper lying protective playmaker and a roaming 3 of Ramsey, Ozil and Jack behind the front 2. Probably our best bet. Jack will have to drop and help Xhaka at times but this is his natural game anyway. Ozil gets a free role and Ramsey can get forward as a goal threat.

We don’t really have the blend of players to get that perfect balance so we will have to be very smart.

So much quality on the blog. I am on my bike in the country so I can’t add much
    Top work GIE

I find it interesting that Bould isn’t allowed to do defensive coaching, mainly because whilst undoubtedly he was a good defender he was surely more built in the guise of McLintock and O’Leary than the steel of an Adams or a Kroenke.

That’s why I think their partnership worked well. From our own experience we know that coaches don’t always epitomise their style of play as a player, Stroller Graham being the number one example. Bouldies youth teams played attacking football, he had Miguel at centre back so was hardly ever going to be about defending, in fact the only thing they did that would have come from his playingdays was the near post flick at corners.

On to our current crop of centre backs it seems to me that we miss an organiser, Stones won’t bring that, Cech had Terry in front of him doing that at Chavs, we either need a keeper who can organise and have youngsters or a new CB who can do that, I don’t think it’s in Kos’s make up, or Mustafi’s. Holding and Chambers are both vying for the same spot, the one BFG held, and Mustafi holds now. I don’t see either of them in Kos’s mould, the no nonsense type. So in my mind a centre back who can do the passing thing whilst also doing the organising thing is the key, plus a new GK.

Maguire?

What him off Grand Designs? He will probably get some solid foundations in 🙂

The ‘steel of an Adams or a Kroenke’ ?

Sting Rays and Leafers. Wow. I really struggle with the evolution theory.

Anyway, motning all wotnots

New post up at 9.30 ish when I’m back from swimming.

Will you still be in your Lycra budgie smugglers when you post it? Just need to create the right mental image so I can appreciate the post more.

@6:30 🙂 was he watching last few mins at Anfield last night?

Just finished watching last night’s game. What a cracker.

No budgies.