Is a change of Playing Style required?

Problems at Arsenal based on player analysis and playing style analysis:-

Keeper:

This hasn’t traditionally been our big problem area over the last few seasons, so is not the right place to look to for our consistent failings. It may be that in the here and now a new keeper is needed with father time catching up with Cech and a lack of world class options behind him.

Central defenders:

A penchant for smaller central defenders Pep era Barcelona style doesn’t work with us. We are often out-muscled and don’t look anywhere near commanding enough in central defence. One smaller quicker CD is ok with the right partner but 2 at the same time??

If Kos had been paired with a Kompany / Sol Campbell type CD for the last few years we would have been a different animal. With his injuries Kos can’t be a 1st choice consideration all season anymore and the rest are more squad player quality and not 1st team quality (at least not yet with some of them). 2 new CD’s likely required but different types to what we have.

Full backs:

Had some decent options in the last few years, so again not the right place to see our main failings. The biggest problem with the FB’s has been that they largely become wingers for much of the game but in a poorly executed fashion (discipline wise). This is more a team style issue than player issue per se and is dictated in some ways by the midfield in front of them (see later).

Having said all this, there are player concerns potentially arising now. Monreal is getting on and is Kolasinac good enough to replace him? Bellerin has looked squad player standard for much of this season but you do feel he can sharpen up with the right coaching and advice.

Midfield:

Will look at this as a whole because outside of CD it is where our main problems are. Individually assessed we have a lot of good midfielders. Collectively they don’t gel. Why? This seems to come down to Arsene and his player preference. He seems to mainly only look for slightly slower, cultured ball playing, tippy tappy style CM’s and then just string 5 of them out in the bit between the midfield and striker.

This is a criticism that has been mooted by some of us on here for a few years, so is not a new consideration. Arsene doesn’t seem to value the specialist holding midfield role or the specialist winger / wing forward role in this 3rd era at Arsenal (pre Emirates move era, Emirates move austerity era, post austerity Emirates era).

What we end up with is a lack of pace or width and a lack of support to the striker leaving them often isolated. Hence we end up with 5 players who are all kind of in a laterally aligned set up looking for a forward pass to play but finding no pacy winger / wing forward to play a ball for them to run on to and a striker isolated with 2 CD’s on him. Result, tippy tappy sideways and backward passing or forcing a forward pass through a narrow central congested channel which is likely intercepted or more easily defended.

We fail regularly to stretch opposition defences and pull them around. Our width for the most parts seems to come from the FB’s stationed high up the pitch in the wing positions, but too often they receive the ball there statically rather than bursting forward on an overlap. This is mostly seen with park the bus teams where the FB’s just seem to be permanently stationed high up and the more dynamic overlap only seems to happen when we play a team we are able to use a counter-attacking strategy from deep with. We probably only need to keep 2 or 3 from the 4 when looking at Xhaka, Elneny, Ramsey and Wilshere, and free up space for 1 specialist HM and at least 1 specialist winger / wing forward (in the Robben / Sane mould).

Striker:

After his first year with us Giroud should have graduated to becoming a good back up option and something alternative from the bench to shake it up. He was never the type of striker that we should have been developing our play around. Playing with this type of striker as a 1st choice demanded a different way of playing that was to a large extent very non Arsenal (Wenger era) like. We should have been looking towards a quicker more mobile lethal front man and we stuck with the less mobile target man as our choice of play for far too long.

Having said that I didn’t want Ollie to go if we could have kept him. Having now recently recruited 2 of the types of strikers that we should have done a while back, we still don’t look right. Why? Well essentially we haven’t changed our set up to compliment the new different style of striker we now have, and are setting up the team behind them exactly the same as we did with Ollie, the  bigger slower target striker.

Pining for him and what he offered us as being the answer to our problems, is the wrong call for me. We failed regularly when we had him anyway. Our new strikers cannot be left isolated with 2 CD’s to deal with. They need to be mobile and be supported by other quick players to create space for them, and to fill the CF position when that striker has provided an outlet in the wide channels and has essentially become the supplier / creator. Arsene’s midfield combination preferences don’t allow for this.

Overall coaching and style:

I often think of Arsene as having changed what type of team he wanted when Pep’s Barcelona was in its pomp, and feel he contracted a kind of Barcapeperatippytappyitis, which still afflicts to this day. They were in a different league, with a collective of specific types of technical players, under a different manager that actually, despite the possession and attack focus of that side, was very disciplined and well coached. We are in a different league in a different era and don’t seem to bother with that extra attention to coaching detail that Guardiola did, and still does.

We look the most ill disciplined and poorly drilled out of all the big clubs and it has often been said that Arsene likes players to work it out for themselves. Over-coaching can, of course, also be an issue, so one doesn’t want to make it too regimented, but it would seem the mantra of the players working it out for themselves is quite easily trumped by coaches paying more attention to detail.

Should we be aiming for that Barca style or looking more towards our old blueprint of pace and power complimented by excellent technical players. I know which I prefer. We all love the idea of Wengerball, and being considered the most easy team on the eye, and being the club that develops the young precocious players the best, but in reality we are actually none of these anymore.

Wengerball is a nice memory from a bygone era and we are more often stale and boring in our football than off your seat excitement. A mere handful of games see us play good football from start to finish with the rest made up by flashes of excellent football in a game we have also looked equally poor in, or just a poor game from start to finish. Probably the middle one dominates in what we produce most frequently.

Our young players seem to be failing once introduced to 1st team environment. It is other clubs who are the ones that have the young players developing from precocious talent into top class talent, so that is another bragging right we have lost in reality.

The big question is does Arsene have either the will or the insight to change many or all of the factors that are stifling us? Do we think he will start to coach in more detail and / or allow other first team coaches to do more, for example Bould with the defence? Do we think he will look towards a more traditional commanding type of central defender? Do we think he will change his preferences for those types of CM’s he seems to love and shake the squad up, maybe looking towards different types of players, like pacey wide men and HM’s, that may compliment us more and give greater depth and balance to our team and performances?

This would require a harder edge in accepting some of the players identified by him are not quite what we needed afterall and then having that harder edge to move them on.

I tend to find myself answering no in all cases with these questions. I don’t see any evidence that Arsene wants to change the set up, style or type of coaching, or that he wants to identify a different style of player to those he has traditionally preferred in recent years. I also think he treats his players, the ones he identified and wanted, as if they are his own children and doesn’t really have it in him to move them on for something different. A new manager can more ruthlessly look at this situation and decide who stays, who goes, and who should come in without that personal attachment.

Things have just run their course. We can but hope for those 3 big displays that we know we have in us at times that may secure the EL for us. Win this and Arsene could walk away with his head held high at that point, and this should happen because the club needs a fresh and new approach with a touch more pragmatism, attention to detail and adaptability within it.

Written by GoonerB

99 Responses to Is a change of Playing Style required?

Brilliant pictures Chas, thanks 🙂

I hope you are being genuine – I never know with you!

I just thought that window lickers like myself needed something to break up the text.

Thanks for the post, by the way, old chap.

I think “our old blueprint of pace and power complimented by excellent technical players” is definitely something we should be aiming for.

4. Gilly says:

Yes. Change of style is required. We move the ball so slowly that the opposition is able to mark our attackers because our attackers then become static. We send too many passes backwards and sideways, most of those passes unnecessarily, as if it is boxing where points are awarded for number of touches of the ball. Our play is so predictable, even mid-table teams can come out with a tactical plan to shut us down.

Yes we need to change our play, AND TO DO THAT EFFECTIVELY, WE NEED TO CHANGE THE COACH FIRST.

re earlier comments – I NEVER punched anyone. The film is not MY favourite, if anything I’d make sure I never see it. Killing someone is still on the agenda. Having fun on a train is not.

GB – you really went into one! I need a day or two to digest. Thanks

A lengthy post! Well played GB- I will give it the attention it deserves during the Spurs match this evening!

What do you mean you never know with me Chas? I always enjoy your your input even when being a p..ss taking barsteward. We know each other well enough now having had a few drinkies together. I think the humour in the pictures breaks up the boring dialogue well.

Raddy did you post a different comment then change it?

GB. Yes I did. I have the Power 🙂

10. Marcotti says:

In summary we just need a new coach with fresh ideas

Yes Marcotti that is what I said 🙂

Pace and power allied to excellent technical ability.

ditto

Medley and Ballard at Centre Back look like right old units and could still be growing.

Wow GB, that is an epic even by your standards 🙂

Of course I agree, I’ve been banging on about our style of play for long enough to bore everyone on AA. Our current emphasis becomes less effective every season and is the reason why we’re sliding down the league table.

Almost as much as the style, the lack of fight and ‘winning mentality’ is contributing to our fall from the top. I couldn’t believe it when some bloggers’ post Toon remarks suggested that they weren’t surprised and didn’t expect us to put in a winning performance. The problem is that attitude may be seeping into the players’ thinking. We should go out to win, and fight to win, every game. We are rightly seen as predictable and beatable. We still have the ability to put in breath-taking performances (although seldom for 90 minutes) … but this is happening less frequency. The only consistency we have is a lack of consistency.

I’d be very impressed if anyone could put up an argument that would convince me our style of play is effective … all the stats show otherwise. We have the worst away record this year of all the teams in the 4 leagues … totally unacceptable given our resources.

Like the look of that Emile-Smith Rowe. Isn’t he also the lad that hits those bendy shots and has scored a couple of screamers?

Rasp, I didn’t touch on the mental preparation side of the game as it would have made the post longer rather than this short succinct piece I have offered up 🙂

You are absolutely right though that the mental strength, attitude and desire also seem to be big factors, despite how often Arsene likes to tell us that the team has an amazing fighting spirit. Some of the casual strolling back by DM’s and defenders caught out of position suggests otherwise.

I also note (with slight increasing annoyance it has to be said) that the explanation for any poor game from Arsene is always in the mental or psychological arena or in the physical fatigue arena creating a lack of sharpness in our play. He never ever mentions poor discipline and game management, poor defensive strategies, poor tactics, or poor attitude and desire.

You would think that as long as we had no psychological or mental hang-ups and weren’t fatigued at the time (which we seem to be often) that we would beat all and sundry because nothing else is wrong with us other than these factors.

Personally I think it gives an insight into Arsene’s thinking in how he sees things these days, and what he considers important and non important factors.

We have a blogger on here who has taught E-S R in your home town GB. He speaks very highly of him. Another AA blogger is associated with another young England International who plays alongside him and also sings his praises .. he’s an exciting prospect, although unfortunately he picked up quite a nasty injury recently. His parents (and he) turned down quite a large sum for him from one of the big paying EPL sides in order to stay at Arsenal.

Reporter: So, Arsene, why do you think the team got such a poor result today?

Arsene: Well, errrrrrrrrr, we were, errrrr, defensively a bit, errrrrrrrrr, naive today. I, errrrrrrrrr, am a bit poopoo at tactics and the players are, errrrrr, already on the beach for summer.

Reporter: Thanks for the refreshingly honest answer, Arsene. (thinks……headline….. Wenger admits he’s past it, Arsenal are shit defensively and that the players are cosseted mercenaries…..)
    😆

19. Ant says:

I blame it on the cones

20. Block 007 says:

Overall chas is spot on.

Rasp, my home town of Choibalsan? Nice to hear that some young players still see us as the place to be.

I saw that interview Chas.

Ant, me too. Those Mr Whippy’s with a double flake at half time are likely the main reason why we come out so lethargic for the 2nd half.

Well, well Mr GB, that is an awful lot of words and all in the right order. Well played, and many thanks.

Until recently, I’d always imagined Arsene to have almost unlimited will and belief, but surely he must look at the empty stands (to say nothing of results) and think maybe it’s time to call it a day.

My view? We need someone new to re-energise the place. The rest is bleedingly obvious, so no need to elaborate.

Ooops, and of course, like you GB, I hope Arsene bows out this summer with a big sparkly european trophy in the cabinet

Chelsea in the Europa for finishing fifth.

Man city’s Europa place for winning the league cup goes to sixth place.

Still one place for the Europa available for the FA Cup winners.
    Only if Soton win the FA Cup will the 3rd place in the Europa not go to 7th place in the league as Man U, spuds and chavs are the other semifinalists and will have already qualified for europe.

Personally I hope Soton win the FA Cup even if Hughes is the manager. However I think there’s at least a 75% chance that both Burnley and Arse will be playing on spurs day nights next season regardless of the upcoming league fixture.

and if we win in Europa?

shall i answer myself?

We won’t give a feck about 4th place trophy, we won’t give a shit about Spursdays and we will have an european trophy at long last. Happy days

oh, and Wenger extends his contract again

sorry GB, I misread the title, ie missed the word ‘playing’. I thought it was about changing our style,like different colours, sleeveless shirts, skimpy shorts, uniform haircuts – I am all for it.

Playing style? I have no idea. Call me old-fashioned by I would like to see a huge, fearless goalie, solid as shit brick house defence, flexi midfield and at least 2 prolific strikers.

I suspect current City team would win under any manager, they are just man for man best pros in EPL. Not one of our players would get into their team.

ok, back to skimpy shorts topic…

Eddie
    The scenario of us winning the Europa wasn’t worth considering in the context of our ‘fight’ against Burnley for 6th as we would be in the CL group stages.

Do you fancy us getting passed Atletico?
    How many goals do they score?

By the way, I’m sorry some don’t appreciate the u18s semi-final clips.

Then again, not everyone is interested in the Club as a whole.

Info for those interested.
    Free tickets for members (may be a booking fee)

After watching that shower on Sunday I for one certainly appreciated the under 18 clips and the pleasant diversion they brought.
    I doubt that I am not the only one on here who has an interest in the club as a whole so with that in mind can I politely say: please don’t stop posting them.

now that you put it like that…no, I can’t see us getting past Accrington Stanley let alone Atletico Madrid.

and yes, 12:38 was an outstanding assist and brill header. Thank you for bringing this goal to my attention.

I don’t feel insecure at all, thanks.

GBback to your post in a bit. Maybe should have been a team area per post for the rest of the week.

Anyway as we can’t really be arsed to talk about Arsenal I just looked at the league table. It’s annoying me that our away form is so poor, even more so when I just realised with a little bit of application in our away matches in 2018 we could probably be comfortably 4th.

More annoying is the fact that only really United and City can comfortably say they’ve done better than 2016-17, Spuds even if they win their last 4 will be 6 points off last seasons total, if we win our last 5 (hahahahahaha) we will also be 6 points behind last seasons total, Chelsea by same method 18 points behind and Liverpool have to win 2 of theirs to match their 16/17 points.

What’s my point, well clearly anyone can have a shit season, Spuds will qualify for CL but no one will be calling for Poch to be sacked for the decline, even if they don’t win the FA Cup.

Back to the post GB I think Cech has been an issue since his arrival, especially once BFG fell out of favour in the first team. Cech has never had to organise his defence, and we miss that leader in the back line. BFG was seriously underrated in my opinion, you don’t need speed if you can read the game, and if you rely on speed over brain as a defender your career will be cut short when you lose half a yard.

I also regularly feel sorry for Nacho asap often he seems to be trying to plug holes others have left or has to go in to try and help out defenders who can’t get job done properly. Mainly caused by weakness of Hector and Mustafi on the right side of the defence. As I said after Moscow watch Elneny do doggies chasing the ball while Hector turns his back and wanders back to nowhere before one of their goals.

On our attacking play from midfield I don’t have a problem with a sideways pass, in my day it was called switching the play, you have to attempt to get the opponent off balance. But it requires a combination of sideways pass and movement and it has to be done with greater urgency, I think the movement is what we are lacking, and without a target in the box most defences will allow our wide men to run the channel without tracking meaning they rarely get off balance. Again this season we have missed a centre forward prepared to play with his back to goal, which would at least give another route towards goal. It feels to me that Laca has been waiting for that slid pass down the side of a centre back, his speed of finish means it is possible to score like this but makes us rather one dimensional and easy to see where passes will be.

36. Ok back to the away form quandary:

The position after the season is our final league table position, the one after Home and Away is our position against other teams home/away performance.

2013/14 (4th) Home (4th) W13 D5 L1 Away (2nd) W11 D2 L6
    2014/15 (3rd) Home (4th) W12 D5 L2 Away (3rd) W10 D4 L5
    2015/16 (2nd) Home (3rd) W12 D4 L3 Away (3rd) W8 D7 L4
    2016/17 (5th) Home (3rd) W14 D3 L2 Away (6th) W9 D3 L7
    2017/18 (6th) Home (3rd) W13 D2 L2 Away (12th) W3 D4 L9

What the hell has happened? Can it really be the impact of Thursday nights? Simply…..NO!

Having had a look at the away games, of the three wins two followed Thursday night away legs, in fact only two away defeats followed a Europa League match (one home and one away), so why the change to such a miserable performance away in comparison to the last four seasons?

12th?? oh dear
    it could be psychological. They know their away form is poor so automatically they freeze

7.10. Compressed bulldog?

Some very interesting comments yesterday responding to a well-thought out post.

Change of style? Not for me. Change of defensive personnel, organisation and coaching must be the way forward.

in chas’ absence i am taking liberties of posting from his fav Twitter

my dogs love ice cream, they get their gobs smudged in the vanilla stuff and spend hours licking it off, it’s hillarious

Love the videos.
    Just goes to show how deeply insecure I am, which at least gives me something 🙂

Can anyone remember the name of the last boy-wonder we produced in the youth team who did not progress? He was a short chap with extraordinary control. A midfielder.

Eisfeld?

Randall
    Freeman
    Emmanuel-Thomas
    Merida
    Bentley

It wasn’t either of these two, was it?

Morning all.

Do you mean that young lad we pinched from Aston Villa Raddy. Can’t remember his name but I want to say something like Crossley.

Danny Crowley

That’s him Chas Dan Crowley. Brilliant clip of him somewhere in one of our youth games absolutely bossing the game

Oi Raddy, He would never have got it if I hadn’t said he was the one we pinched from Villa with a name like Crossley. I don’t mind him getting some of the credit 🙂

I was just the glory boy, it was GoonerB’s credit.
    Was Crossley a politician?

I’m happy to take all the credit if it’s up for grabs

Well done Micky
    Is Devon sunny?

Those composite faces are challenging.

Late to the party – as usual – and then I had the pleasure of reading a wonderfully thoughtful and persuasive Post, with axiomatic conclusions in each part of the analysis leading to the overall conclusion that the composition of the team is crap.

For a second I imagined it was one I had written myself, despite the terrible length of the article — and then the shock of seeing that GB was the author!!!! What? The world is crazy enough without GB going all Shakespeare.

I happen to agree with GIE too, that Cech only had a brief hope of being the key to us not losing unnecessary points and making us potential title winners. I think Moanhio conned us into buying a GK he thought was long past his best days – possibly as a result of having to wear a football on his head.

I think Pep Guardiola figures in the first of Chas’ clever but kitsch photo amalgams.

[I must confess that GB deserves a commendation for one of the best Posts, of its kind, in many a day! Well done, sir!! 😀

In my wanderings around many other blogs over the years, I realised that I had become aware of the syntax preferences of many of the most frequent posters without first seeing their names, even when they had changed their handles, avatars, non de plumes — but GB has by some form of literary osmosis absorbed the styles of many other quality writers, including the aforementioned W. Shakespeare, to produce a perfect Post writing style — or is that just a chimera? 😀

OK, OK – you want me to f*ck off again, don’t you?

Well first let me tell you that I am unhappy about this feeling of playing ‘dead rubbers’ for what’s left of the season — and even the EL games against A Madrid fill me with a feeling of dread, so much so, that I have an overpowering need to chat to a camel in order to restore some balance to my life.

To chat to someone else with the hump can be nothing but a soporific balm to a troubled fan – or chat to Terry – same thing I guess.

Thanks RA but I think you overly flatter me. Just a load of tactical Bolleux really 🙂

The photo composites may be a little easier if you know they’re all current Arsenal defenders. 🙂

GoonerB should get them straight away as he’s studied them all very hard indeed.

The first one looks like he used to star in a sitcom as the slightly gormless dad.

The second one looks like a cross between Johnny Depp and Woody Harrelson.

PFA team of the year, spot a Gunner

United are going to finish 2nd and they don’t offer a player in any outfield position. Wow.

Back to GBs post, I guess that shows how important a good keeper is.

Chavs and Scousers with only one each.
    At least the spuds put the pressure on City for PFA team of the year.

I’ve been studying the composite players very hard indeed for a few hours now

Still working on the second, but confident the first is Viv Anderson

Am I right?

First is Kolo Toure, Lauren and Sol Campbell.
    Second is Viv Anderson, Eboue and Viv Anderson again.

Fantasy v Reality

define a trophy

Abstract trophy

Real trophy

ha ha ha

BTW, I am very surprised that Mezut didn’t make it to the PFA team of the year, that is very unfair. He is there with the best

Playing in such a shite team, he didn’t stand a chance.

yeah, I thought as much. Poor Mezut, he deserves better

I have to get up really early to take your Chubby friend out before it gets too hot, laters

76. RC78 says:

In terms of squad, we have 4-5 Top Players where we need at least 11 and ideally 16

– We need a Top GK as Cech is not as good as before and Ospina is just a very good back-up
    – We need at least 4 new defenders: 1RB, 2 CBs and a LB
    – We need at least 2 new Mids: 1 DM and another DM
    – We need at least 2 new FW: 1 Pure winger, 1 Back-Up ST (Giroud type of player that can deal with long balls)

Who are our Top 5 players:
    – Kos (when not injured)
    – Bellerin
    – Ramsey
    – Ozil
    – Aubam

I personallyt hink we should build the team around Ramsey and Aubam so here are my proposals:

– Ramsey is lethal as a CAM
    – Aubam is lethal as a LFW or Central Striker

We need hence to mould our team as a 4-3-2-1

GK – Bellerin, RECRUIT, Kos, RECRUIT – Miky, RECRUIT, Wilshere – Ramsey, Ozil – Aubam

This also means that we mould Miky to become our De Bruyne or our new Cazorla if you wish, he definitely has the skill set to become that player but we will need to assess his physical resistance

Here is my proposal (feasible) for 2018:

HANDANOVIC (or Leno) – Bellerin, KOULIBALY, Kos, GAYA (Or Ghoulam) – Miky, GUEYE (Or Vidal or Javi Martinez), Wilshere – Ramsey, Ozil – Aubam

Ospina – RECRUIT, Mustafi, RECRUIT, Koli – Xhaka, CARVALHO Neilsson – RECRUIT, Lacazette, Wellbeck

In terms of playing style, here are the teams that we must emulate in the order:
    1) Heinkes’ Bayern Munich
    2) Guardiolas’ Man City
    3) Klopps’ Liverpool
    4) Pochetinnos’ Tottenham
    5) Current Napoli team
    6) Current Valencia team

Composite number 1

Morning all

Brilliant Chas, put the pressure on commemorative DVD 🙂

Composite number 2

I got Calum and Nacho.

Morning,

Who are all these weird blokes?? 🙂

Hi RC78.

That is a well thought out and interesting comment, and is a definite starting point – altho, until the contract with AW is sorted out it is likely to be changed again.

[It may be the job he is asked to do, but I am not a great fan of Bellerin. He is not a good wingback – pace, but no dribbling skill – he just does not understand how to defend or tackle — not for me — and I see from the press that Arsenal are looking to reinforce the RB position. I am probably in a minority – so nothing new there.] 🙂

The morning pics have become an important part of how I start my day. They make me happy, I would really miss them.

Love the Seedorf clip as much as I lover the crows.

On with the day…………………

NEW POST

I echo that LB. Chas does sterling work on here keeping the humour going amidst all the boring analytical stuff from myself. He really deserves an abstract award for his work 🙂

87. eblog says:

Barcelona shouldn’t have let you go, still like your style of play Alex