Waiting for My Man – CSKA Player Ratings

With the score from the first leg stood at 4-1 and having seen Roma rebuild an empire at the expense of the Catalonians, nerves were jangling slightly more than we might have expected for this particular second leg in Moscow. Could their away goal prove crucial? One way to resolve the issue – score one of our own and the tie would be effectively settled. Boy, did they make us wait.

First Half

CSKA huffed and puffed, gegenpress-style, closing down rapidly like high street businesses everywhere. Arsenal struggled to find any space, time and cohesion. On several occasions chances to break and grab that vital away goal presented themselves, but, on each, our attacking fluency deserted us with a misplaced final pass or failure to exploit having a man over.

I missed the goal as BT.com decided to freeze 30 seconds before it. It seemed as though Nacho was shoved in the back for the CSKA header, though I’m sure the studio ‘experts’ said that the Russian just wanted it more. Cech did well to get down to the header at such close range but keeping it out was all he did as he left a simple tap in. 1-0 down at half-time, just when was our moment of quality due to arrive? I was hoping it was before I ran out of beer.

Second Half

Shortly after the break, calamity struck again when a long range pot shot bounced back off the helmeted one into the path of the onrushing forward. Bang 2-0. Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, surely another 3 goal comeback couldn’t be on the cards?

Watching without sound, I was celebrating when Elneny’s header went in as if it was job done, before realising the lino’s flag had been raised. Mo seemed to think bending his run slightly even though he was a yard or two behind the Russian defensive line, might somehow fool the official into thinking he was onside. Hmmmmm.

Arsenal restricted CSKA’s chances to score the vital third pretty well, keeping them to long shots, with Petr producing a good save from a free kick, but were still struggling to produce that one moment of quality to blast the comeback out of the water. When it finally came it was a thing of rare beauty.

Welbz was suddenly infused with the spirit of Thierry Henry, picking the ball up wide left and driving towards goal. Playing the ball inside to Bobby Pires, sorry Mo Elneny, he continued his run into the area. Elneny’s return pass was of such a delicious weight that it just invited the glorious finish which was duly applied by the Mancunian high into the corner of the net. Magnificent – all that time they had us worried, knowing full well that they had a goal of such exceptional quality up their sleeves.

You could visibly see how much CSKA were deflated by the goal, almost as if they knew it was 3-0 or nothing that would have got them through. Even the bare-shirted, gammon-fleshed hordes behind the goal Arsenal were attacking, perhaps realised that their game was up and it was time to go home to Olga.

Drifting towards a defeat but still in the draw for the semis, Aaron Ramsey then applied the cherry on top of the cake. His fragilty had seemed to rear its head again at the end of the first half when he seemed to overstretch, but he was still running in glorious fashion right up to the last few moments. Running on to another beautifully weighted and timed through ball from Mr Elneny, he lifted the ball gracefully over Akinfeev with his right seal flipper to send the best club in North London through with a comfortable 6-3 margin.

Player Ratings from LB

And there was I thinking that it would be a cushy victory……when will I learn?

Cech: since he has stopped the fancy footwork that was leading to a few too many embarrassing situations he has come back as strong as ever. I think the adjective of commanding is called for tonight. 8

Bellerin: Hector put his attacking desires to one side and focused on the defending side of his game — and he carried out that duty better than he has done in quite a while. 8

Mustafi: no silly errors just got on with the job at hand. Perfectly acceptable performance. 7

Koscielny: a good captain’s performance. 7

Monreal: I don’t need frills from our defence on games like this I just need them to read the tin and do what it says. 7

Elneny: Mo was the proverbial headless chicken in the first half; he certainly redeemed himself in the second half though with two assists to boot. 8

Ramsey: getting all the credit he deserves for being the great player that he has always been, another top drawer performance. 8

Wilshere: don’t get me started. 5

Ozil: King Mesut Rules OK. 7

Lacazzette: I heard that his goal scoring boots were held up in Russian customs and it showed. Interesting just how much he runs on confidence or not. 6

Welbeck: I stuck with Danny for so long regularly writing on here I expected him to become the most important CF in the EPL and then after finally and completely giving up on such an idea he starts to make some serious inroads into claiming that mantle. Really starting to enjoy his performances again. 9

Can I take my red and white tinted glasses off now?

The draw awaits at 11am, with Atletico, Salzburg (Lazio were on the receiving end of the comeback of the night) and Payet’s Marseille our potential opponents. Who do you fancy?

chas

114 Responses to Waiting for My Man – CSKA Player Ratings

I am still amazed at how you have been able to keep such fine match reporting hidden for so many years?

“Having seen Roma rebuild their empire at the expense of the Catalonians”

Brilliant!

Let’s not question commitment.

We just seem to be lacking some kind of cohesion but I think results of games in earlier CL games were possibly playing on players minds, there is undoubtedly a question of whether you stick or twist when going out with a 4-1 lead especially with the away goal that could cause issues.

Last week I bemoaned the inability to finish the tie off properly, there would have been no such worries had we converted any of the last few chances in the first leg. Thankfully we finished when it mattered in the closing stages yesterday but even so we should have got the goal in the first half with a bit better execution of the final ball.

time to go home to Olga 🙂 Or Natasha

Thanks Chas, excellent report. I had to stop and think ‘what Mancunian’? you should have put the Mancunian reject.

What would have happened if you ran out of beer before we scored?

pic of Aaron’s injury – it is his calf with tattooes and sparse hairs. I had to have all my wits about me to work out what the feck that was

I cannot say I enjoyed the game, the goals yes, the whole fixture – definitely no. We were that, that ‘ ‘ close to being knocked out, I couldn’t cope with that. Thank G Elneny had a brilliant game, good lad our Mohammed, I hope he stays for a few more seasons.
    The whole team looked good with two exceptions – The King and Iwobi.

Thanks chas & LB.

7.43 Nasty, very nasty.

Chas. That is a fine piece of writing. Very entertaining. I can’t say I enjoyed the game, we were pants for most of it .

Tactics spot on in the last 30 minutes when CSKA had to throw bodies forward and we scored on the counter.

Can’t agree that the whole team played well, we were lacking in so many areas against a team who are Stoke standard.

Wilshire was awful, what has happened to him? No new contract, take all his wages and offer them to Ramsey.

Olga is waiting for me in the kitchen …

Many thanks to our new creative pairing of chas and LB 🙂

I think I’d keep the balance of the ratings the same but just deduct 1 or 2 points from everyone because we were dire for an hour or so.

We got the job done in typical Arsenal fashion, it’s all to play for now, I hope we get Athletico in the next round as we will probably have to beat them to win the cup.

Elneny is showing more depth to his game and he would have been my motm. Jack is looking less effective every game, he’s gone backwards this last month. He’s off the pace, not only slow in movement, but slow in awareness. Either he’s back in party mode recreationally or he’s nursing an injury … in which case, why play him?

Danny on the other hand, as LB says, looks like his confidence is returning … perfect timing for the team.

Ramsey has to SDT ….. it will be a great blow to us if he does an ‘Ox’

Maybe a midfield of Xhaka, Ramsey and Elneny is the way ahead.

Santi is back next season……………………

As to who we draw in the semis, my choice would be Leipzig,

10.22. If only.

Will he still be under contract?

13. kfdickie says:

Great write up. Can’t help thinking that LB’s rating’s are a bit biased on Jack, but I think he hasn’t been the same since his injuries. [Jack not LB] and I’m beginning to agree, to some degree. I hope Iwobi was watching when Ramsey went through on goal. And the picture looks like a shot from the Vet’s, not a changing room. Good game in the end, for obvious reasons, and I agree that they were just keeping it dangerous to hold on to the viewers.

Thanks Chas and LB

I thoroughly enjoyed the two ties, and 6-3 is a fine scoreline

Chas,
    The pic of the CSK fans. Two flags with pics on them. One with Price Charles I understand, but the Johnny Cash one? Weird

Prince Charles, obviously 🙄

So we get Athletico ….. no problem, we have two legs to find how to beat them

Call me weird, or Didit if you prefer, but I wouldn’t mind Athletico

Going to have to beat then at some point I’d imagine and it would be a more attractive tie for the last EL game at The Ems this season

eh? draw’s happened?

i thought it started at 11 going on for an hour

oh well, happy days

Yes Micky, the bad news is home leg first

At least we’ll still be in it 🙂

We must not let them score an away goal!!

Good luck with that 🙂

It’s the four at the other end we’ll be needing

Atletico it is

So both competitions end up with the final taking place in the semi final. 😃

Having watched the highlights of most other European games this week I was most impressed by the crowds. Watch Marseille fans last night or the Salzburg ones, epic support in ground.

Hate to say it but the scousers in England are the best at that, although they have too consistently stepped over the line for it to be talked of romantically.

Typical draw for us in Europe. we always get the difficult opponent.

Bayern, Barca, Monaco when they were superb (before the transfers).

Can we beat AM over two legs? Probably more chance than one leg.

Does anyone know how it is worked out that we play at home first or second leg?

Its according to whichever ball is pulled out of the bowl first I think LB

The goals up there are great to watch but Elneny’s passes are hypnotisingly good.

This shows Danny’s great turn on the touchline at the start of his goal.

Munich v Madrid

How did you know, GIE?

Ahh, yes you are right Rasp and we are at home on the 26th, which I am very pleased about because I will be in Spain for the second leg.

I will only be watching it on telly, although, I will be with the Costa Blanca Arsenal supporters club in Javea which should be fun.

Chas, that was a superb match report – a talent that you have been hiding from us all these years. Between LB and yourself we are being well and truly spoiled – a big thanks to both of you.

That is a great turn from Welbeck, I am definitely going to have to stop mocking him about his recent frigidity in front of goal.

Is everyone saying my match reports used to be shit?

GIE Who is going to win the Grand National?

The first one I did was April 2012. 🙂

GIE, thank you for your response to my goalkeeping question. My comment on his goal kicks and punts up field were based on his overall performances not just last nights game. To me it’s incredible how many times we give up possession from his kicks. It could be that the team does not have a plan to receive the kicks?

By the way, I assume you are at work now, so when did you find time to write that?

I remember it, you did so kicking and screaming.

One sadness of drawing AM is that if we lost to them in the final and AM qualify for the CL through their league position, we may have got a CL spot.

However, I don’t know if that is true

Well Chas maybe they’ve gone from good to superb – just like a footballer you have honed your style. Or we have short memories?

It is a boon for us that Chas has found some enjoyment in the writing process.

If the UEFA Europa League holders have qualified for the group stage via their domestic championship, the vacancy will be filled by the third-placed club from the association ranked fifth (France), who otherwise compete in the league path

LB
    Finished work yesterday.
    Woke up early, finished reading a current book, then thought I might type something rather than let the getting a semi moment pass with no report.

I was just about to write some ratings when I saw your comment from last night, so It worked a treat. 🙂

48. GN5, or more that we used to have a plan, Ollie, and he would put in a shift going from central to wherever to try and win flick on, or more often than not hold it up. Not sure it is in Laca’s make up, but PEA might be able to, and so could Danny, problem at moment is that Danny is playing on flank so when its ball up from the back then he can’t cover as much of pitch as Ollie used to from central.

Without Ollie it limits our ability to play that long ball, which in turn means oppositions can worry less about keeping men back for that eventuality and instead focus on stopping the short pass out from the back with a high press, which then means all we end up doing is kicking ball long and have a 20:80 chance of winning ball, whereas with Ollie or PEA it is probably 50:50 minimum, or 70:30 if they were to press us at the back.

Football has always been about having options, and that is where I think we are most limited at the moment, we have one way of playing and retaining possession when PEA is not available. It is even easier to stop these days due to lack of a big man alternative through the middle, even though it has been an accusation of the team over the last few years I think when PEA is unavailable this is probably the most one dimensional it has been.

But what I do admire in Danny when playing the lone role is his tireless work rate, so even if the ball is easily won by a defender he doesn’t stop and at least slows the ball coming back towards us and even gives a chance of winging the ball in the middle third, whereas Laca’s instinct it would appear is to stop, which means ball can come back without us getting out of our defensive third.

49. Chas I only typed that after I saw it on BBC news, is the clock right on here?

GIE, that gives me a better understanding of the overall reasoning.

I just wonder why we don’t have our wingers hug the touchlines and one player deep down in the middle of the pitch, that would at least give him three targets, but right now he just seems to kick it to nobody in particular and we invariably lose possession.

GIE
    I watched the draw live at least 10 minutes after your comment. 🙂

Me too. Perhaps GIE lives in the future.

Oh dear maybe I live in the past?

Well done Chas and LB, good Post/Ratings.

I find myself somewhat restricted in commenting as BR’s 9:21 a.m. pretty much states an opinion that I agree with.

We were poor, and an honest appraisal would be that CSKA were the better team: slicker, with better technical skills, and for a club many were criticising as having a poor defence they did not do at all badly until the old boys ran out of steam in the last 15 minutes.

I very much liked Golovkin who was the MoTM for me.

Your ratings were fine LB, other than no player should or could have scored above 6 — and Bellerin has continued to be very average, and like the Scare Crow in the the Wizard of Oz, he probably thinks how much better he would be – “If I only had a brain’.

Is it possible that it is only a question of working out where the big hand and the little hand go respectively. 😀

I suspect there are delays in transmission of ‘Live’ events. Radio and TV can sometimes have differing opinions as to what is actually live — maybe because of adverts etc? Either way we still ended up with AM.

56. VP of Oz says:

has anyone entertained the idea that the draw was rigged (again) and that GIE knew the result yesterday, he just mis-timed his comment

RA
    It wasn’t the Europa draw that GIE ‘predicted’, it was the CL draw.

At 11:52am Arsenal had already been drawn against Atletico but it was still 10 minutes before Bayern Munich were drawn against Real Madrid. The CL draw only began at 12pm.

The only explanation is that he travelled down a wormhole in spacetime via a parallel universe.

It would have had to be a very big wormhole, Chas! 😀

See, that’s the thing with sneaky ex-GKs — you have to read everything slowly to get the drift of what was said/meant, rather than do speed reading that oiks like me tend to use!!

Haha I’ve just realised what happened, I clicked on BBClive news feed to see EL draw, and then someone commented the following:

Get Involved
    #bbcfootball or 81111 on text
    Mwila Chilufya: It will be Bayern Vs Real Madrid and Liverpool Vs Roma.

I obviously ignored the fact that it was a comment and just assumed that was fact, so it’s Mwila we need for National Tips.

“would have had to be a very big wormhole”

How very dare you 😃

hahahahaha

You got the wrong MOTM, LB. 🙂

63. Aaron says:

Arsenal looked slack for many reasons, Jack being the main one with chemistry.
    Some slag Xhaka for much of our problems, but he works well with Elneny, and his passing range is much longer and faster than Jack’s hold onto the ball for an hour the move it somewhere.
    The width was missing yesterday to keep CSKA pinned back. If the Arsenal get Miki, and Xhaka back, and the gruesome figure costa got really injured, then things are looking up. I do not think griezmann can do it alone up top.
    Everyone knew that eufadridlona was going have the draw go that way, if not and pure chance, then the refs will fix it on game day.

atletico only have 15 goals against them. We have forty.three. 43.

I think Jack was hurt a couple of times in the game (one was getting a smack in the face from a headed ball from Mustafi – and surely he overreacted to that) – but he had a bad game, maybe from an ankle knock/twist, but I am now pretty convinced he is never going to get over his chronic injuries.

He’s gotta go — and I take no pleasure in saying that.

[GIE, in a wormhole your head would be in the star system Gamma Delta III, while your feet would still be in the Solar system] 😀

oi RA, you were right about the blue bus – it had one broken window. I only saw it the other day.

I don’t think we can rule Jack out that quickly, this is the first season he has had relatively injury free, but then England didn’t play him because of a knock on his knee? So is he injury free or just trying to get through the pain?

If the latter then he is hurting his own performance in doing so, now England wouldn’t take the risk, as if that injury had come while on international duty then they would be compensating the club for any missed games, Arsenal will take more risks with the player especially if he says he is fit.

It is hard to forget that young player who could turn two men in one movement and burst of pace, if anything he has lost half a yard with these injuries. Maybe he can get past them and find it again. It is too early to write him off.

And if (I know it’s a big if) he is prepared to be a squad player and a non starter I’d rather have him with us than anywhere else in the PL.

Any news on the upcoming royal wedding preparations?

VP – @10:48 is the best film I have ever seen. I already watched it 3 times. Not enough of Hector, but otherwise brilliant, real tear jerker

so we are at war again.
    For the first time Trump made a good speach.

Oh God Eddie, hadn’t seen the news. Did know trouble was brewing when Blair emerged last week. Bad, bad news.

a reported is delivering news from outside number 10. And in the background you can see black and white cat trying to break into no 10. This is not the image of a country that should be taken seriously at war

I have recently watched The Darkest Hour, brilliant, brilliant, brilliant film

And I watched Pep adamant that there is still a real danger of ManCity not winning the title this season. He said that it happend to RM before, it can happen to them. I hope he is wrong.

Or, at the same token perhaps it is still possible that we win the EPL, no?

no, even with a divine intervention we can finish 2nd at the very best

Eddie
    You sure the cat you saw wasn’t Larry?
    If so, leave it out, he lives there

Larry 🙂 who pays for his upkeep? The taxpayer no doubt

yeah, feel so sorry for the tax payer having to foot the bill for Larry’s kittinibbles 🙄

And top grade cat litter

8.39 😀

WTF is May doing? This Tory govt is the worst in my lifetime. Crooks, egoists, nincompoops and fools exemplified by Mad Boris.

While I agree with all that Erik, it’s hardly a Tory thing this invading shit, was it Blair you fucking …..

Definately outdoors time

82. VP of Oz says:

Its an old song but a great one. From New Zealand, a classic

Chas, I remember the times of your 9:24 all to well.

The crackling radio reception was our only link to the outside world.
    I also brushed aside the brussel sprouts – still detest them.

GN5 – I grow brussel sprouts at the allotment every year. And every year I throw the horrid things away. I have already seeded them again 🙂

85. fred1266 says:

Giroud just brought Chelsea back from a lost

typical frenchie, cannot trust them

Eddie,

I cook brussels for every festive dinner, my family and friends all like them, they also very tedious to prepare. You are so right they are indeed horrid things.

Cheers Chas and LB

A better team would have punished us on Thursday, and even in our 2 leg victory you can see a multitude of deficiencies. I have to say that while I enjoy our wins I end each of them with less a feeling of elation and more a feeling of TFFT, we got away with another one, glad that is over with.

I feel we have to be careful with this flavour of the month approach to our players. Ramsey has hit one of his scoring purple patches and Elneny had a good game with 2 assists so all of a sudden we should build the team around them, while Jack, who did have a stinker, should be binned and shifted on.

I can think of times when every one of our players has been panned on here but then seemingly become key to our future when they hit a bit of form. The bigger question is why do so many of our players seem to drift in and out of form so frequently?

For me we are still missing 1-2 specific types of player to compliment any of the combinations involving Xhaka, Ramsey, Wilshere and Elneny, and having a merry-go-round attitude to which players should in our best 11 is clutching at straws for me. Rarely are all of them (and sometimes any of them) actually complimented in the team set up to get the best from their game, so they will all suffer frequent dips and have bad games while they try to operate in a way that doesn’t play to their strengths.

Wilshere had a bad game on Thursday, of that there is no denying. He did seem to get a nasty stamp on his ankle which should have been a card offence, and he seemed to go off the boil after that. I don’t think it would be down to him bottling it after that, more likely the other way round that he was trying to play through it but was hindered.

It could have been this that slowed his game down and made him lose sharpness, or it could just more simply be that he had a bad day which all players do. He did uncharacteristically seem to get caught in possession a lot where normally he is one of the players that is best at protecting possession and getting us on the front foot. He will always fight for the team though, which is more than can be said of many of our players this season.

Interestingly a couple of games ago (possibly Southampton) Wilshere and Ozil were identified as being the only 2 players at certain points who knew how to get us playing in a forward direction with all other players being accused of perennially passing sideways or backwards. Also interestingly none of his turn overs resulted in their goals. The second was a cock up and loss of possession between Bellerin and Ramsey. Bellerin it has to be said is struggling and for a man with his supposed pace he does seem to lose his opposite number far too frequently.

That protection of possession in midfield when receiving the ball is certainly, for the most part, one of Jacks strengths. He has a great spacial awareness and appreciation of where opposition players are, which gives him that ability to know when he can turn and drive forwards or which direction he should go to avoid being caught by a quick press. He can work in tight spaces and mostly get us out of them still in possession.

In this area he is superior to Ramsey, for instance, who for the most part is more likely than Jack to get caught by a quick pressing opposition player or when receiving the ball in a tight space. He also more frequently plays a ball straight back to the defenders when he had the option to turn and go, purely because his awareness of the space and opposition players positioning is not as acute as Jack’s.

However Ramsey gets us key goals, which cannot be ignored. However, when those goals dry up for periods, which they inevitably will, who then offers more in the midfield area? The better the opposition the more critical are the skills of the player that can keep possession better and who can turn a defensive situation into a forward thrust in the blink of an eye……providing the set up compliments the player with this skill set.

There are another couple of considerations. In becoming more reliant on Ramsey’s goals as a GOOJF card are we not re-entering the problem of over reliance on one mercurial genius that we had with Sanchez? Nice though they are should we even be having to rely on these goals from a player that should really be a BTB midfielder, and should we be basing our team development on this?

Ramsey is a central midfielder that is often playing like a striker in his positioning to get these goal-scoring opportunities. That has to be counter accommodated when we lose possession in the way that it leaves us exposed in CM if he is stranded forward too frequently. Would a better team just exploit this reliance we have on his goals and that he has to be in advanced positions so often in an effort to get them?

I actually quite like all our players when looking at them on an individual basis but feel there is far more to consider than just favouring the players who currently seem to be doing it and wanting rid of those that have struggled. They have all flattered to deceive at various times for periods of games overthe last 2-3 years.

The far bigger problem for me is that I feel this team is still massively unbalanced so there will always be a player or two who seems to be struggling while the incorrect combining of players continues.

89. fatgingergooner says:

What a pass from KDB! I wish he played for Arsenal. Unbelievable player.

90. Chip off the old block.

91. fred1266 says:

Mesut can do it no need for KDB

bloody hell GiE, you will get reported to the social services for cruelty!! you didn’t even check poor George’s injury after the world class save

Do you want them to be footballers?

Eddie, he is 5 he can tell me. 😃 although goal is only made of plastic tubing so not exactly painful.

If they want to play football that’s fine but I’m not going to force it, we spend more time biking than playing football.

George is a tough cookie 🙂 not a whimper, got up and carried on 🙂

MATCHDAY
    I bet BR’s been at the Ethelred’s mead again

Ethelred is a good choice, Chas, as he was always unready 🙂

I thought the earliest acceptable time for lunch would be 12:30
    So booked table. Only 5 miles away
    Get them all there for 12:20. Order 12:30 sharp
    Persuade all puddings are rubbish and for wimps etc etc
    Back for KO
    Rude? Or nice of me? 🙂

Nothing like a meaningless mid table clash to get the pulses racing, is there? 🙂

Bloody mead, knocks me for 6, never used to when I was a young raider.

PM will be along in a mo

Micky. Excellent planning, especially as you are paying.

GB. 7.21. On another day that would have made a fine post. Unusually I agree with much of your comment.

Great Erik, will read upon return from dog walk

There is a New Post (and it is dull as ditchwater)