The Russians are coming

The International break was beyond tedious, while the Stoke game made me beg on my knees for another international. Break.

Today, on the other hand, is the real deal, and I cannot wait.

Speaking of I, today, and for one day only Ladies and Gentlemen, I have become a Liberal. Reason being, the Russian are coming to the Ems, and therefore I will have a build-in excuse if we lose.  No more having to look critically at ourselves or our own failings, no, nice and easy…blame someone else. God, it’s good to be wet and weak. Loving. it. The level headed thinkers among you won’t like this, but I will be blaming rigged team selections and poisoning. Perfect.

Right. The game.

Laca is back. Mikhi will start and we have Mesut.

Auba, the gent, stepped aside to allow Laca the confidence boosting goal from the spot the other day.This will have made Laca feel loved, and being French, these things matter.  Mikhi has allowed me to completely forget about Sanchez, and with the shape of the side looking so much better, I think we will really come love this man in an Arsenal shirt.

Mesut…ah, the ghoulish one. Often, I look at him on the pitch, and have to rub my eyes as he appears to lose focus, the edges fuzz and blur, and then puff, the spectre has vanished. Like one of those meditative guru’y Indian fellas, who can disassemble there own molecules, vanish in Delhi and then re-materialise in Bombay just a few short moments later. Other-worldly is what he is.

The rest? Granit, Jack and Ramsey with some defenders, I’d imagine.

Tonight, we shall prevail and excuses not required. Bring it on

Written by MickyDidIt89

105 Responses to The Russians are coming

Bloody hell, every word is missing a letter or has a wrong ‘un with random punctuation

rReally sorry

Two days ago someone bought me my first apple laptop and it is complete crap

Eddie

Don’t know about homelees, but Dyke Road is pretty damn noisy

micky – it would be. at least 2 women per household…

I love the post, really funny.
    Other-wordly Ozil 🙂 that boy is soooo special, as special as some people told me 5 years ago; I didn’t believe them, now i do. A legend.

We should have no problem winning tonight. With your team selection (dome defenders 🙂 ) and loud reception from the away fans (Raddy and chas), I expect 2 nil at the very least

Game on BT Sport tonight

I had to rush this morning, so didn’t look up the oppo.

Are they any good?

CSKA are 3rd

In 7th is a team called Arsenal Tula

🙂 🙂 Superb Micky … I am in awe of your ability to dissect the minutiae of the technical side of the game 🙂

I know exactly what you mean about Mesut …. he does play a different game to the rest of the team … in fact to most other footballers …

I was sat sitting next to Mr Vine senior at the Stoke game and observed a trainer studiously lay out the cones for the team as they emerged from the tunnel after half time. Jack led the team out and made a half decent effort at skipping between the cones, and that inspired most that followed to do the same. All but one…. that is …. last to emerge, completely on his own was Mesut. He just nonchalantly strolled through the cones, never considering he should lower himself to such basic behaviour …. his confidence is justified … don’t you just love him 🙂

As far as the game today goes, I think we will need to take a 2 goal lead back to Moscow and more importantly not concede. I don’t think it’s down to the manager that much any more .. the players have to take responsibility and play with their heads, defend as a team and get the ball forward quickly so that Lacaz doesn’t have as many wasted runs as previously.

CSK have away goals in them … beating Lyon 2:3 was some feat …. I hope Oooooospinnnaaaaa has his super sized boot inserts installed … he may need to play like he’s 6ft 4in

Brilliant post.
    Thanks Micky.

Hoping Laca, Micki and the German genie put on the style tonight.

bloody hate this laptop. grrrr

I guess the work pro on the end of macbook is supposed to imply professional. Yeah right. What a crap keyboard

ok, walkies

shit me, the WORD not WORK

Morning Folks,

A very nicely done Post, Mickish, and may I say faultless on your super laptop. 😀

The keyboard on your MacBook Pro will grow on you when you decide to ditch the nonsense keyboards where you learned to type on sub-standard non MacBook Pro keyboards. 😀

Don’t forget — if you press the ‘down’ key at the bottom right of the keyboard, the screen goes up — the ‘up’ key makes the screen go down.

There isn’t a ‘delete’ key as such – the Left pointing arrow (at the top right of the keyboard) deletes from right to left. — to delete from left to right you hold the ‘fn’ button (bottom left of the keyboard) and press the same left facing arrow.

That there advice can save you from going barmy!!

Final advice — don’t take any notice of a galoot like me!! 🤣

Whoever bought you the MacBook Pro must love you, a lot, — it is the best machine ever invented — when you get used to it, and ignore all the crap you learned on Windows keyboards.

Hi Rasper,

I hear on the grapevine that Arsène may break his commitment to Ospina and play Cech as the EL has become a lifeline to the CL because of such a disappointing season.

Personally, I would ditch both of them and play Macey.

16. Sorry Micky, I thought you were being eccentric with your punctuation 😉

Wow Micky, thanks for the post.

Before your post I knew absolutely nothing about CSKA Moscow – and your post complimented that void in my knowledge. 🙂 🙂

I’m recording the game today so my son and grandson can watch the game after their work /school day is complete.

We will be having left over turkey pot pie for dinner, washed down with a copious amount of red wine.

The weather here has been really wild over the past few days. 70kph howling winds and about 4″ of snow. Thankfully it’s a pleasant morning it’s a cool -5c and sunny going up to +3c this afternoon.

Hi Redders, I shall be shocked if AW swaps Ospina for Cech, that would be completely contrary to his ethos … unless the former is injured of course. I don’t think there is much between them in terms of competence these days.

Cech left the chavs because he didn’t want to be a bench warmer, I hope he is not another that doesn’t know when to retire. Mertesacker has got his timing right, maybe Cech will also announce he’s going into coaching at the end of the season.

Superb post Micky. Love it.

I also likes Rasp’s Cone Report, it happens quite regularly and makes me laugh every time, maybe it should become a thing 🙂

I have just tried to imagine the headline banner 🙂

bloody hell, look how Scousers greeted Man City team bus arriving in Liverpool. that’s true passion for you

Eddie, apparently the coach was so badly damaged they had to find a replacement to get the team home. Who can say whether that experience affected City’s performance in the game? A hostile atmosphere is one thing but making players fear for their safety is way too extreme.

I can’t help thinking that if that had been Arsenal supporters rather than the ever suffering salt of the earth pool fans, we’d receive heavy sanctions. I’m sure we’ll get a better reception in Moscow than City did in Liverpool.

sorry Rasp, but i cannot find it in my heart to feel sorry for Man City team. I doubt very much they were in danger, the whole thing was hugely exaggerated. A lot of noise, pink smoke and banners. Not one window was cracked

It was like on a bus parade they will attend soon

sheikh will buy them another bus 🙂

Police ask for footage of Man City bus attack at Anfield as Uefa charges Liverpool

Merseyside Police ask people to send footage of Manchester City’s team bus being attacked as Uefa open disciplinary proceedings against Liverpool.

It was disgusting, Eddie.

The coach had windows smashed and other damage caused by thrown bottles, cans and other stuff making unroadworthy as well as injuring two policeman.

It’s football for goodness sake — not civil war.

Hopefully we will start off briskly and go for the throat (that’s allowed! 😀 ) rather than strolling around passing sideways and backwards.

It has been a beautiful day so let’s hope that is a harbinger of what’s to come.

COYG

‘Achtung, Ich bin Mesut Ozil und das cones ist fur den mortals”

can’t friggin’ speak english, so do not have a go at mein sausage sprecken alright!

must dash

There has been much mulling over the significance of ‘Big’ money in the EPL with some saying that the money is irrelevant in winning titles, and that the quality of the managers is the key.

Others disagree.

I have been watching a debate re FI racing, in which it was pointed out that when all teams drove cars with identical Cosworth engines the racing was more interesting and anyone could and did win.

Now the huge money invested by Ferrari and Mercedes meant that one or the other of them tend to win all the races, with only Red Bull with their billionaire owner joining that elite.

EPL/F1 same same — money ‘drives’ the result.

What say you? 😀

Umm, is that Micky coming out of the closet?

He rushes in, admits he is a German bin, and then rushes out.

There is a lot no shame in that Micky, really — well a bit, or quite a lot really — that is to say a GERMAN bin — are you serious!!

So Cech did get the nod after all, with my man Macey as sub GK.

Cheers Chas

Do CSKA have any super exciting stars to keep an eye on?

Indeed RA
    I guess no Ospina on the bench means he’s injured

ha ha ha
    I am pathetic sometimes, like I give a shit who’s in goal 🙄

RA – what smashed windows? Have you actually seen it? Because it appears there is no evidence of any damage. And the bottles were plastic

Did my MacBook Pro advice @ 11:43, especially for you Micky, help at all?

The lack of a ‘delete’ button drove me doo-lally at first. 😀

Eddie,

You saw it one way — I saw it differently. — no big deal. 🙂

No, it didn’t, but I thank you for it

I knew all that, but it’s when I rush typing that things go badly

Don’t like the caps lock button and not used to keyboard yet. Buttons are noisy aren’t they?

My laptop was pinched borrowed permanently loaned to me, Micky, by a well off friend who bought a newer version about 3 years ago, but the keyboard is not particularly noisy – but I guess that is all a matter of perception.

You may have noticed I love it — but like you seem to be doing, I went through a ‘conversion’ process when I kept comparing the Mac to a Sony laptop using windows/MS processes — when I stopped doing that the love affair blossomed. 😀

I was a Sony man too. Great machines

Oh God, just remembered some poor soul has Erik nesting next to him/her tonight.

Poor thing, having to explain to Erik where he is and all that

slick

A purists delight so far
    Great attacks
    Rubbish defences
    What we live for

WOW

Wow it was, my Aaron

That will teach Putin not to come here poisoning people on the street, come on you Gunners!!!

RA – so you didn’t see any smashed windows, I thought so. There were none

Bloody marvellous

I deserve a Creme Brulle

Creme Brulee according to the box

Bloody superb. My favourite pudding

50. Aaron says:

This is exactly what I was hoping we would see, minus the stupid foul-turned into a very nice free kick goal.
    Blasting them to smithereens so far.
    Appreciate the wide balls on both sides, and Bellerin with really good crosses today.
    Could easily be 6-2 right now.
    Just one more goal, or close up shop like last week and should be enough to get the Arsenal moving to the next level.

Yip, agree with all that Aaron

I like Laca very much. His movement and all round game is excellent, then there’s the finishing. So good he’s back for this tournament

never underesteemate the russians Aaron, they are evil, I would prefer we scored 3 or 4 more just be sure. Let’s give Raddy a night to remember

let down by that second half is how i feel 🙂

So I come home late from work …… and watch the second half 🙁

Pretty impressive what I have seen in highlights though, would have been nice to finish the job last night with at least a couple more, had plenty of opportunities but the finishing seemed to dessert us.

😀

I do sometimes feel a little sorry for Mesut, he is the conductor who sometimes has to cope with the musician only allowed to play the triangle.

Do we think the crowd/atmosphere was poor because of:
    a. the opposition
    b. league form
    c. don’t care about europa

I’d have thought any european quarter final would have people hanging from the rafters

micky – Raddy failed miserable. He had a perfect opportunity to misbehave and makes headways and… nothing, silence. Some hippy

Thursday nights have been booked up for years as we haven’t needed them.

Pilates, darts, crypto-mining, jigsaw puzzles have all been Spurs day night activities traditionally.

I was surprised it didn’t sell out.

Chas

I had to googleise Steve Dallas to find out what his surprise was. None the wiser

ha ha

I get the traditional pre booking stuff, but that’s not the reason.

League attendances are thin, and I understand why, just can’t fathom the lethargy carrying over to a european quarter

I’ve no idea who Steve Dallas is or was.
    Now if you ask me about Debbie. 🙂

BEWARE, can cause offence:

“Not seen a scouser this excited over 1 leg since Paul McCartney met Heather Mills”

If it’s not Prem or CL, it might as well be the the Sherpa Van trophy for the entitled trophy hunters.

It does appear a specific Arsenal problem, in that when yer Chavs or Red Mancs were about 6th best team, their attendances didn’t drop by 10 or 20%

Good Morning,

Hi Chas,

I know you said not to ask you about Debbie Dallas — but ……. who she? 🙂

Micky,

I do not know, or care really, why some fans seem to be less than bothered to go to watch and support the lads, irrespective of their disappointment over the EPL — if that’s what it is.

But the answer might be straightforward — GIE inadvertently showed a possible reason when he said he got home late from work.
    Thursdays are a boring evenings to be playing football — and also usually, in my experience, Thursday evenings can be very busy at work preparing for Friday meetings etc. Maybe work is the reason for the no-shows.

Or it could be a statement of discontent? Who knows.

The thought that went through my mind last night re the attendance was that the people, or most of them, that didn’t turn up had already paid for their tickets in the the form of a season ticket.

So if they can’t be bothered to turn up for that game they must have given up on going to Arsenal and the idea of renewing their season ticket next season — which follows in my mind that the ground is not going to be 98% of actual tickets sold as it is this season but as low as 75 which again is going to make it look as embarrassing as it did last night.

Very entertaining game I thought, really enjoyed it.

I am enjoying watching Lacazzette really trying to connect with the fans. Scoring goals helps of course.

Ahoy RA and LB

RA
    A clear statement of discontent, as you put it, in my mind as it is not Thursday specific

LB
    Agree on both attendance and Laca. Re the former, the remaining league games are going to look awful. They must immediately start ripping the little faux leatherette seats out and replacing them with fewer, but considerably larger, armchairs. The bigger the wingbacks, the closer to 100% capacity will go

Wonderful nights entertainment.. Ozil is so much better in the flesh.

Glad you had a great evening with loads of goals, Erik

We armchairers get the Mesut replays and close ups 🙂

Naughty man, BR, — [Ozil is so much better in the flesh] — it’s the eyes that worry me — can’t tell which one is looking at me. 😀

I thought the season ticket waiting list had 100k on it?

Re attendance figures.

I was in Family Enclosure next to Clock End, there were no spare seats around me, except Gs as he was on my lap to see, and when I looked to my right the Clock End seemed pretty full, now they are the tickets that are always available to Silver and Red Memvers because if they allocated STs they would have to do a lottery for FACup matches when opposition gets given their allocation of 20-25%.

We also have option of Ticket Exchange but that only opens when the game sells out, which means all those non ST seats have to sell. Now I often look and find expensive seats in Upler Tier but find it hard to justify. Then there are corporates (low key) who probably have STs dotted round ground, but maybe not using them, and the likes of Thomas Cook and Red Letter Days thatsell experienxe packages. Exile Seniors first trip to Emirates was bought that way before we got Red Memberships.

Then you have STs in hands of touts, well if you can buy from club on general sale or ticket exchange, you are unlikely to buy from them.

Seemed to me like a lot more touts around Arsenal tube than I remember which means they are struggling to sell in advance of games.

All due to reduced demand, but as Chas says if there is a ST waiting list and some don’t renew, then there are apparently a lot to take those seats.

Either way STs not renewing, and lack of interest is good for the casual goer like me who can start to pick and choose games and hopefully get better seats.

The turn out for CL also had a lot of empty seats in group stages and I would put that down to people with STs who don’t live in London, an evening kick off is a b****ard especially if you need to catch a train home, if the oppo is some backwater minnow then you may well dodge the game.

Exile

I’m glad some find it easier to get tickets, but the empty seats on thursdays, as well as any other day for league games, is a very unhealthy sign

People can make excuses all they like to dodge the truth, but the reality is the ems has never looked so bare

The business minded at Arsenal will be concerned for sure

Micky,

Help me to understand why empty season ticket seats should be of a financial concern to Arsenal. As I see it the seats have already been paid for but the ticket holder decided not to attend, so where is the loss to Arsenal? Plus if they don’t renew then there’s an endless list of people who want to buy a ST.

GN5
    Apols as now on mobile
    Answer: advertising, sponsorship, brand image and sales of weak drinks and hot fat 😀
    The big one concerning image is corporate sales at about 50% or more

Thanks Micky, I was blind to the obvious.

Just had a run through the recording of last night’s game, and was blown away by the sheer brilliance of Mesut.

When he is in the mood that guy is just fantastic — but sometimes you have to say that with certain players he is like a lion leading 2 or 3 donkeys.

For enthusiasm and effort coupled with skill, the only player last night who came close to Mesut was Rambo — altho he does occasionally make me wonder why he makes the impossible look easy, and the easy he tends to botch. [Admittedly I know sod all about playing football at that level or any level really.] 😀

Hi GB,

It can also be said that the type of season ticket holder who leaves a seat empty in a form of protest is also the type of supporter that will not be missed. It may well be that new ST holders will bring back the type of ardent support we seem to be missing.

I use clubs like Crystal Palace as a shining example of the type of boisterous support that could bring about a positive change for the club. They are fully behind their club through thick and thin.

Our fans seem to think that they are above jumping up and down and showing unfiltered emotions.

Really interesting report GB.

It is no surprise that there are different views expressed from across the fan base. I suspect that there will be a difference based on age groups, locals who grew up within spitting distance of the club and are simply born to Arsenal.

There are other demographics that will reflect different opinions based on those who are fans but rarely go to games, just relying on TV for their ration of Arsenal, and those who live for the reflected glory of a successful team/club — no success, no interest – and so on.

Well done sir — (as an after thought — if those who did not attend last night or in recent EPL games as indicated by the empty seats and taking them as ‘the dissatisfied’ it has to be the said that those who did go, and have different opinions are very much still in the majority, — and without a detailed analysis of why they went, it is difficult to arrive at a meaningful conclusion as to what is going on. 😀

GoonerB
    Your comment is excellent for a post. Can I use it?

Chas

Just take it, it is one of his very best and should create a fair bit of discussion, I am itching……….

Already have done, LB. 🙂

Haha. Fill your boots Chas. If you are using that as a post and LB is itching I am going AWOL Lawrence Oates style for a bit 🙂

GN5, we can chat a bit more on what types of fans constitute the different categories after Chas has decided when to use it.

Tomorrow it will be up, deffo.

Now to look up Lawrence Oates – pleb that I am.

No need to go AWOL GB,
    it really is good and my itching is possibly not what you might expect it to be.

I say this now because I am out all day tomorrow and will miss the fun but I will do my best in the evening.

Mickyhqve you seen all the recent furore over advertising by some companies, like the H&M ad featuring a young black not wearing a t-shirt that read “cheeky monkey”. H&M had to issue an apology and claimed an innocent mistake and a marketing department that don’t see “colour” so didn’t see the potential offensiveness of the post blah blah blah. But that image with their brand was retweeted endlessly and it also featured in a lot of news stories.

There were a few other “missteps” by other marketing departments of other brands over the next few weeks, basically long and short of another story I read was marketing people are going out of their way to create an “accidentally offensive” ad so that it gets that kind of exposure.

Why tell this story, well if you are a brand that has sponsored Arsenal and it features in a picture showing empty stands, are you worried about lack of people or number of impressions for your brand, in fact shots of empty terraces with their brand in the background has probably increased their normal exposure from that advertising hoarding 🙂

Haha, FedEx.
    Save it for tomorrow, GIE. 🙂

98. VP of Oz says:

Mkhitaryan injured/out for rest of season?

2 good games today, I hope all 4 drop points. No, actually better if city win, convincingly

Is Mikhi really injured? Please say no