Raging Bull – Gattuso Promises Arsenal an Ugly Night

Gennaro Gattuso was born in Corigliano Calabro a picturesque but relatively poor town in Calabria, Southern Italy. He’s married to a Scottish woman of Italian descent (an explosive combination if ever there was one) and his reputation of being a man with a short fuse has added fuel to the fire of their tempestuous relationship.

Beginning his career at Perugia, he was signed by Walter Smith at Glasgow Rangers when only 19 years old. He quickly became a cult hero on the banks of the Clyde with his ‘mad dog’ careering style – the Glaswegians were unused to Italians who didn’t cruise about in expensive suits. Paul Gascoigne at Rangers at the same time must have produced a rather volatile dressing room atmosphere.

Gattuso’s playing career really took off when he was signed by AC Milan in 1999. He enjoyed 12 productive years at Milan before an eyesight problem forced his early retirement in 2013. When playing colleague, Andrea Pirlo was dropped into a deep-lying  “trequartista”role, ‘Rino’ became the perfect foil for the cultured playmaker. Complimented by the close presence of Clarence Seedorf, with Inzaghi and Shevchenko up front and Rui Costa in behind, a formidable Milan emerged. Kaká, Rivaldo, Hernán Crespo, Christian Vieri all played in front of the twin engine midfield of Gattuso and Pirlo. Unsurprisingly, Milan won the Champions League twice in 2003 and 2007.

One of Gattuso’s most appealing moments from the point of view of an Arsenal supporter came in 2011 when he grabbed Joe Jordan of Tottnumb Hotspurs by the throat during a CL game. There was also a reported headbutt after the match.  Joe Jordan had played for AC Milan himself after his succesful time with Leeds and the red mancs in England.  Gattuso’s agent’s statement that Jordan called the player “a f****** Italian bastard” seems unlikely. Gattuso was reported to have said that the verbal exchanges were “in Scottish”.

In January 2010, Gattuso opened a fish shop in his home town, presumably as some form of insurance for the end of  his playing career, but the lure of the game saw him immediately launch into various managerial exploits with differing degrees of success.

Stints at Sion (as player manager), Palermo, OFI Crete and Pisa, eventually saw him return to Milan in the summer of 2017, equipped with a full coaching licence, to manage the Milan Primavera Under 19s.

Vincenzo Montella’s sacking last November, catapulted Gattuso to the head chair at the club and although Milan are currently 7th in Serie A, their form is good with 6 wins and two draws out of their last 8 games. The Milan derby last Sunday was postponed due to the untimely death of Davide Astori, so they’re relatively rested, with their last game over a week ago (they scraped past Lazio in the Coppa Italia on penalties).

Apparently 67,000 tickets have been sold by Milan for Thursday’s home leg which goes to show that North London’s finest still prove to be an immense draw. One things for sure, Gattuso will lack nothing in motivating his team to ensure Arsenal receive a very warm reception indeed.

chas

76 Responses to Raging Bull – Gattuso Promises Arsenal an Ugly Night

1. VP of Oz says:

Great Post Chas
    I’m even more fired up now
    I love supporting such a great team
    COYG!!!

that is a hilarious post 🙂
    I must admit (again) I have a soft spot for Gattuso. It might be because I have a very short fuse too and understand how difficult it can be remaining cool at times. He is a character, love him.

And he was a formidable player, nobody would feck about with him, except for his beautiful wife of course.

I have read bits from Pirlo’s book; the players would always try to wind up Gattuso and he never disappointed. I didn’t know he had eye problem, I always thought it was a squint and laughed when he was baring his teeth and looking with eyes facing each other. Scary monster 🙂

we must win. end off.

I love this post. Absolutely my favourite in a very long time

So nice to read about a real footballing man, and his character traits are so appealing. A real warrior of a man.

Many of us will be thinking the same thing, I’m sure. Oh for a Gattuso in the heart of the Arsenal midfield, or in the managerial seat, or in the stands as a fan, or on the board, or as owner. Warriors are infectious and the spirit permeates all around 🙂

calm down didit, next you’d be saying Gattuso in my bed

Thanks, Chas,

I knew about Gattuso in a general way, as you do with players you do not see playing very often, but his legendary fiery temper caused more amusement to add to his rough, tough playing style.

Pity we do not have someone like him at the moment.

I am not sure about the game tomorrow, the team has been so devoid of confidence that I am not at all sure they will ‘turn up’ and give the performance they will need — tho I would forgive them a lot if they do.

Referring back to the comments on DanDan’s revived Post, I have every sympathy with LB’s view that he is often upset sharing the same ‘supporter’ title with some of the firebrands that inhabit the blogs. Mee too.

I have kept my ear on my keyboard for years – just in case — but I have never been able to listen to a great prophet like PJ saying anything — not a dickie bird did I hear.

6. VP of Oz says:

Eddie comment on Gattuso in her bed

7. VP of Oz says:

Eddie comment on Gattuso in her bed

8. VP of Oz says:

This is funny…

9. VP of Oz says:

sorry Eddie

VP – I take it it’s your revenge for dissing your family life. I still don’t believe stories about your wife 🙂 malakia 🙂

Excellent post Chas. That fellow at 10.47. Can we not get him to do our pre-match and half time team talk? We might win the tie.

I hope Arsene can convince these players to believe in him one last time and muster one last cup specialist run. It would be great if he could walk away with the EL delivered, but like others I have grave doubts. I must admit to actually thinking we should have done a very un-Arsenal like thing and made the change on Monday to give the club a boost and something new to fire these players up before Thursday.

The problem, as I see it, GB, is that there has been such an increase in the anti-Arsene hysteria, that many, even AW supporters, are coming around to believing the only way to lance the toxic boil is for the great man to be let go.

The hope for those who want to see him gone is that the team and its performances will improve significantly.

The concern for those who think that AW should go, not based on his limitations, but on the perceived deterioration in our performances in the ‘big’ competitions [CL and EPL] and to try belatedly to protect his legacy from the early ‘Wenger era’, is that any new manager may well struggle to match AW’s success, and we may actually be worse off, and the hysteria will continue – only this time aimed at the new guy – or perhaps several ‘new guys’.

I have said, and still do, that Arsene should have gone 4 or 5 years ago, as time and tide await no one, and there are new managerial bucks out there who want to show they can move things on.
    Inevitably AW will retire – and changes will happen regardless, so for the reasons spelt out above, it is very sad to see Arsene’s era suffering the humiliation of a protracted death knell.

He is the best Arsenal manager ever – and probably the greatest managerial innovator the PL has ever seen until now (with Pep waiting to take that title) — one look at Citeh tells you that Arsenal used to play that way once – but no longer – money has spoken. 😦

14. RC78 says:

Use the EPL as a lab for next year and give some playing time to some players like Chambers, Holding, Koli, AMN, Iwobi and Nkitiah

All our eggs are in the EL now so let us go and win this cup. I think we are better suited for EL jouts and I think that some of our players can thrive in that competition.

Ospina – BFG, Kos, Monreal – Bellerin, El Neny, Wilshere, Koli – Ramsey, Ozil – Wellbeck

Milan is a good team but is not great. I think that if our players show up tonight with the right attitude and good boots on, we can get a result there. I would say a 2-2 draw is feasible

15. RC78 says:

Wenger approached by PSG as Emery will leave the club at the end of the season. I would take AW at PSG any day still. I think he would help the club grow.

Wenger should be replated by Ancelotti at AFC and Ancelotti should come in with Overmars, Bergkamp, Vieira or Henry in his staff and groom them to take over in 2 years time.

who was the original Raging Bull, no, not Robert de Niro…:Lamota, Jack? Jake?

17. RC78 says:

PSG Sell-out this summer:
    – Trapp
    – Kurzawa
    – Motta (Free), Verratti (yes)
    – Pastore, Ben Arfa (Free)

PSG targets this summer:
    – GK (Maybe Donnarruma)
    – LB (Goulham)
    – CB (It will be a young promising one and left footed)
    – DM (Kante, Vidal, Biglia, Wanyama)
    – CM (Milinkovic, Dembele)
    – ST (Embolo, Martial)

RECRUIT – Meunier, Marki, Silva, RECRUIT – Rabiot, RECRUIT – Mbappe, Neymar, Draxler – Cavani

Areola – Alves, Kimpember, RECRUIT, Berchiche – RECRUIT, Diarra – Di Maria, Lo Celso, Guedes, RECRUIT

POTENTIAL TEAM

A) DONNARUMMA – Meunier, Marki, Silva, GOULHAM- Rabiot, KANTE – Mbappe, Neymaer, Draxler – Cavani

B) Areola – Alves, Kimpembe, ?, Berchiche – DEMBELE, Diarra – Di Maria, Lo Celso, Guede – EMBOLO

18. RC78 says:

Sorry to flood about PSG 😦 Am so upset

19. Aaron says:

RC78- you had to know the someone would get sent off or a few penalties would get thrown in for good measure to get Madrid through correct?

20. RC78 says:

Aaron – maybe so. Not qualifying is OK but our display and our lack of desire really upset me. Some players were walking, others were just happy doing nothing

RC78 – isn’t it sad? Players must be feeling down too. I don’t believe even for one minute that it’s water off the duck’s back. They read the press, possibly blogs, they know everyone is disgusted with them.

They are probably thick, but even so, they sportsmen, it’s in their blood to want to win.

I spoke to 4 different supporters yesterday and today. They all shake their heads, all gutted, all sad, not even angry anymore. And all said there has to be a change, we cannot continue like that or more and more fans will turn away, lose interest.

22. RC78 says:

The thing is that we have some quality players across the pitch. There are areas to be improved but still, we are at Top 8 team and not to reach the Top 8 in the last 2 years is disgraceful. Last year was plain disgusting and this year is pathetic. You have to beat Barcelona or Real at one point to win the CL and if you can’t, then you suck and you are a top 16 team.

Monaco did much better with a much younger team – our coach has not made the team progress since he arrived. Actually, he even lost the league which is a formality for us usually.

Now some players need to move on – I listed them above. We also need a new coach. I think AW would be perfect because he will bring an identity back to our game and some players will stay (Neymar!) if he comes and others will come to grow with him.

Emery’s PSG has been a failure at all levels. We were better under Blanc and we had more personality too. I remember the epic games against Chelsea, City and Barcelone in the CL when Matuidi and Pastore were playing hard and Ibra was taunting opponents. Now we only have a few warriors:

Areola – Marquinhos – Verratti – Neymar, Mbappe – Cavani

Verratti is not growing though so he has become a liability in the CL.
    Areola and Mbappe still need to grow so that leaves us with Marquinho, Neymar and Cavani.

Players like Rabiot and Di Maria need to be pushed by their teammates to give their best and Thiago Silva is not a leader. Whoever we recruit also need to be a leader on the pitch – someone who is going to yell and show some fighting spirit like Ibra and Matuidi used to have.

I am looking forward to next season already. The only question remaining is if we will win the Cups. The League is already ours.

RA, from my aspect I have maintained the same stance for probably a few years now that Arsene is not the man for a top club like us anymore. I know you are talking more about the fan base at large and some of the recent increase in vitriolic outcry, but my feelings on this matter are not new, as I know yours aren’t.

With others it may be more recent but many of them may say they have maintained this stance for some time as well, but feel it has just crossed a threshold now for them to keep quiet.

My opinion on him having adopted an unrealistic Utopian football outlook, leading to the buying of samey CM players, while overlooking other types of players we have needed more, and generally this leading to an unbalanced team that puts in performances that are inferior to the team on paper and lack any consistency across a season bar a few excellent performances.

Add to this that I don’t feel tactically he is now astute enough (or doesn’t feel it is important), with the players seemingly playing as if they have little coaching, direction or understanding of their roles, and I feel our lack of progression and inconsistencies are explained.

Wenger has been a beast for us, and I don’t like seeing the more vitriolic treatment of Arsene that you see in some quarters. I will quietly maintain my stance on this (unless proven otherwise) on here or in the pub with mates, but I don’t like the open abuse he is receiving.

RC, you say that AW will be perfect for PSG but your 3.48 seems to be a frequent description of Arsenal under AW in recent years. Your 5.00pm also seems to start as if it were describing Arsenal, that the team is better than what it is showing.

I can’t for the life of me see how Arsene would progress PSG now at his age, and with his last few seasons with us showing no league progression despite adding better players indicating (potentially) that he no longer has the skills to mould one of Europes top sides into serious challengers.

Who knows though, if it happens you may turn out to be right and me wrong. Tell me why you would replace AW with Ancelotti but then feel AW is perfect for PSG? Surely that would indicate PSG should go for Ancelotti themselves.

Another excellent read.

Russians killing people on the streets of Uk seems wrong, wth?

The man was a spy Eddie. That’s what happens. You need to watch more movies

Is this bad? I’m thinking of watching Juve tonight in the grown up’s competition

Crikey, just watched the Gattuso vid VP stuck up

Imagine him in the dressing room. Koscielny would need more than the Kleenex. Serious medication more likely

I know he was a spy, but still – to blatantly kill someone who was inconvenient to the Russians in a foreign country??? I thought the Russians were only doing that in Poland.

Gattuso is a nut nut nut, I can’t help liking him 🙂

my son has just told me Abume was on a shopping spree buying all the gold that Gordon Brown flogged

Oooer, this is going rather well if you’re a Juve fan.
    I am

Oh shame, off the post 🙂

Maaaarvellous

That must be so disappointing, the post, so close.

Oh when the spurs win booger all……..

he he he ROLF LAMOW

LB 🙂

38. fatgingergooner says:

Awww poor Spurs.

It was 50/1 for Spurs HT – Juve FT. Saw it at the bookies but didn’t go for it. 🙄

Eurgh, look at Pochetino’s teeth.

41. Golly gosh my baby spuds are gonna be sad 🙂

42. chas – that post is amazing, gotta love the passion of Gattuso. Hope we see him kicking water bottles all over the place 🙂

GB,

We are pretty much as one on your comment @ 5:42

The personal attacks are just misguided expressions of some fans understandable frustration — but it is unacceptable.

I stopped watching the Spuds v Juve at HT [1:0] — went back at 85 mins, and could not believe my eyes as the Totts were very good in the first half.

Best football news for ages!! 😀

Did you see Chiellini and Buffon screaming in each other’s faces celebrating successful defending?
    A joy to watch.

“I’d seen a grand total of one person since leaving the ruin of Tintagel Castle, three miles west of here: a man in a raincoat who nodded at me through today’s third hailstorm in that special way that people who go out and do pointless things in harsh weather nod to other people who go out and do pointless things in bad weather. The sky above the sea on the horizon looked like the black wall at the end of the world. Why in the name of tits would anyone else be out here? Surprisingly, five hundred yards or so further on the dog and I did see some other people: surfers, but they don’t actually count as people, since they are far more crazy and tough. The north is by far the preferred surfing coast on the South West Peninsula. My friend Emma’s American boyfriend, Moon, who surfs a lot, told me the bigger waves are a result of the unusually jagged nature of the coast. Its southern equivalent can have an intestinal quality, and can suddenly dart inwards in a manner that takes your breath away, but there’s something more dramatic about the coves and inlets of the north, slightly redolent of torn fabric. It brings out a manic sparkle in the eyes of the board-happy likes of Moon who, as he enthused about it, drew its shapes with one hand in the air like a child let loose with a giant invisible birthday crayon. ”

phew,I can drive my AFC reg car in Cuffley with pride again 🙂
    I knew they’d bottle it 🙂

what does it mean – Spurs play in Europa now or was it hard Spexit?

Spexit 😆

so definitely no trophy 🙂 again 🙂

Tug Off War….a fine game for gentlemen 🙂

Some very fine work this am Chas

Eddie, spexit 🙂
    Chas, Moon 🙂

I am only giggling quietly, in case tonight we feck up
    Not very likely, but…we’d better wait till tomorrow

sheep and 6:54 are very funny, and juve taunting Harry bloody Kane

Danish inventor Peter Madsen faces charges including murder, dismemberment and “sexual relations other than intercourse of a particularly dangerous nature” ?? what does that mean??

Eddie
    They are still in the FA Cup, but I suppose if we can’t count it as a trophy, then they can’t. 🙂

are they? oh no, can they win it though?
    I googled – ManU, Swansea, Leicester and Chavs amongst 4 other opponents. No chance then, they will bottle it.
    Mind you, I’d rather spurs than ManU or chavs. Lets be positive and hope Brighton get it

I feel like I should be doing a pm, however flaccid and flimsy but really not sure when I’m going to squeeze in even 10 mins this morning

Eddie, daaaaarling, gives us both barrels with a meaningful paragraph or two on tonight’s game?

Pleeaase 🙂

Must dash right now. Check back when I can

micky darling, bad day for me too. I have an estate agent coming any minute now…

Eddie
    That would be most excellent.
    Something to put fire in our bellies.
    I’m attempting to do something so could add yours in as a special treat for AAers everywhere.

65. fatgingergooner says:

Please tell me that 6.50am was at the full time whistle! I love Chiellini, he’s an absolute beast.

Today is not the day to bask in Spexit, let’s leave laughing till after tonight’s game. The most important game of this season? Bloody right it is. We must not even entertain possibility of a defeat, win win win is the only way.

Let’s forget about most recent defeats, they no longer matter. But if we remember the team that beat Chavs and Tottenham at home, the Liverpool masterpiece we can rest assured that this team has it almost all that it takes to win big games.

It is a combination of bad luck that Lacazette is injured and poor management/madness to buy cup tied Aubemeyang when our only hope of salvaging the season is Spursday competition. Never mind though, we have useless Welbeck, the Trojan horse from Manucunia and even more useless Iwobi, damb and damber. But we have to be united tonight and love our players no matter how bad they have been in the past

The captain, who is it going to be tonight? It should probably go for our best player Mezut, but does he look to you like a leader? No, he doesn’t. Make love no war is his motto. not very fetching for a skipper who is going to face mad Genaro Gattuso.

It has to be Jack then, not the best player, but most dedicated to the cause. Let’s hope our tiny leader does a good job and we can avoid the fate of the neighbours.

COYRRG

67. fatgingergooner says:

I dont see us winning tonight. I’d be happy with an away goal and a one goal deficit. Gattuso has Milan playing better and they will be solid with the likes of Bonucci and Biglia in the side. They have good attacking fullbacks and Suso has developed into a real threat for them. I’m not sure I trust Kolasinac to be able to deal with him and he will come in off that flank and run at defenders.

Could be a tough night.

fattie – no, the final whistle was at 21:40 🙂 great photo though, one for the family album

Thanks Ediie.
    I can’t really use much of that, though, as it’s more negative than what I’d already come up with!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think Micky meant a rallying Polish war cry to put some steel into the red and white testicles, not berating our only striker as a Mancunian trojan horse. 🙂

p.s. not sure I understand ‘the Liverpool masterpiece’ at all !

NEW POST