What type of Manager would suit Arsenal for the Future?

Is it true that the general consensus seems to be that it’s time for a new Manager? It does appear so.

So considering our dressing room current state what do we need? Our main competitors have taken varying routes from employing the best coaches (with a history of trophies) or pinching potentially good managers from smaller clubs when they have PL experience.

The former seems to work well for one or two seasons, especially when it’s just a case of a settled squad that won things recently needing fresh impetus (City, Chavs etc). The latter has worked well for Spuds most recent, but not so great for Liverpool (Rodgers), United (Moyes), and in all the years Fergie was at United and Arsene at Arsenal none have proven successful long term until the last couple of seasons.

Still the chances of Klopp or Poch getting a trophy this season are slim.

So when Arsene leaves, be it summer 2018 or 2019, what are we looking for? I’ve seen TH14 and PV4 names mentioned which is frankly ridiculous, Ancelotti and friends of that generation are not going to take us anywhere new and are best at organising a well paid squad, (Maureen is probably in this bracket too).

So the only option to me is next big thing out of Europe (have no idea) or take one of the smaller teams managers that we like Howe, Pellegrini, Puel, Wagner.

For me, only Wagner would bring enough status to satisfy the likes of Ozil. And that maybe where we have to accept something, if we are going to take an up and coming Manager, we have to accept that there is going to be quite a bit of readjustment.

Written by a Gooner In Exile

102 Responses to What type of Manager would suit Arsenal for the Future?

Cheers, GIE.

Maybe we should get an old hand on board and appoint one of the up and coming whizz kids as their assistant. The plan being for the younger man to take over once he’s fully schooled in top tier management.

Mind you, I’m definitely not the person to ask – I didn’t even know who Wagner was when I first read this post; or that he manages Huddersfield and has a Dortmund pedigree.

I thought you meant this X Factor chap.

2. jeffrey selwyn says:

low is the best choice

Thanks GiE, I don’t profess to be an expert on available managers around the world. I think Arteta went to City to earn from Guardiola and he may be a candidate a few years on. I agree Lowe could be a possibility.

I’m not averse to Eddie Howe if we want to give a young manager the chance, I’m impressed with what he’s achieved at Bournemouth.

I don’t really want to see a short term prospect like Ancelotti unless it is to so that someone like Arteta or Vieira could work under him for a couple of seasons and then take over.

Thanks Exile. Now there’s a question I can take seriously.

First up for me is to define the role and thereby ascertain required skills.

The tactical/coaching bit could be done by an orangutan it’s so simple.

The office bit by a robot in this age of Artificial Intelligence.

That leaves the bloke in the dressing room and the bloke on the touchline. Really two jobs, and neither worth more than 100k a year. The former, a motivator, the latter a brand representative, and by that I mean, nothing more than the image the club wants to present

On second thoughts, I’d up the motivator to 110k. Most important.

ps the 100 and 110k figures are per annum before you think I’ve gone completely round the bend

Haha Micky, if you are willing to wear the Mr Motivator multi-coloured tight spandex outfit on the touchline and shout “attack, attack, attack” then I will be your tactical orangutan…..”righties to the left of me, lefties to the right, and a big un stuck in the middle for you”.

Thanks GiE, and Chas for sorting, excellent post. Will be back in a mo with my tuppence worth.

GIE, when you put it down in writing, as you have emphasised, you do realise replacing someone like AW will not be easy. Even some of the supposed more safe more experienced managers from the EPL and overseas have failed to deliver over the last few years (Van Cod and Moyes). I literally think any appointment is far from guaranteed, no matter who it is.

I also harbour a suspicion that Maureens time at the top could be up, and feel his style has now slipped behind and been found out, and that in a similar but different vein he is entering a similar bracket to AW. He is off the agenda anyway as far as I am concerned for multitudes of other reasons.

It may be that we get better with the next guy or that we regress slightly after Arsene and have to explore a couple of different options before finding the right one, we have been blessed in his tenure. The fear of this however cannot allow us to not make the change because staying where we are is also not a good option for me. We have to be brave enough to go through the process for better or worse.

I tend to agree with you that TH14 and PV4 don’t feel ready for this job. Ancelotti would be more short term but if say PV4 was his right hand man for 2-3 seasons then this is a viable consideration.

The likes of Howe and Wagner worry me. The ones that have made a good fist of it with smaller clubs doesn’t always transfer to this level and is a big risk. Makes me think of Laudrup (as one example) a few years ago. Also their international recognition as a manager to persuade players to come to us would be a slight worry.

Low could be a viable shout, but the risk is transfering what he does with the German national team into a day to day running of a top club.

The one that stands out for me, in terms of reputation, age, general demeanor and behaviour, winning stuff, and giving a good account of themselves in the ECL, is Juve’s Allegri. He would be my favourite purely because he ticks more boxes for me than any other candidate.

GB

It is with some regret that I need to inform you that, not for the first time, your renewal application to The Purists Club has once again landed on my desk with a big question mark on it.

Comments like a ‘big ‘un in the middle’ do you no favours

Fred
    I’ve forwarded that to the decoding dept.

Ok, yet another serious thought

Have you ever sat front row at any football ground. It’s rubbish. You do not get a good idea of what’s going on at all.

I like the idea of sticking Arsene up in a glass box as with the England rugger manager. He’d then be mic’d up to the orangutan on the touchline

The serious bit is that I think the manager’s job is nowadays more than one role

11. Joachim Low’s managerial career

1994–1995 FC Frauenfeld
    1996–1998 VfB Stuttgart
    1998–1999 Fenerbahçe
    1999–2000 Karlsruher SC
    2000–2001 Adanaspor
    2001–2002 Tirol Innsbruck
    2003–2004 Austria Wien
    2004–2006 Germany (assistant coach)
    2006– Germany

Slowly let the dates sink in.
    I think the only title he won was at Austria Wien.
    His record at club level is… erm.

He picks his nose and eats the bogies.
    He puts his hand down the back of his trousers and then smells his fingers.
    Cue Chas and his collection of Joachim Low footage.

12. Ernie porter says:

Not nocking arsen alone the player too need to step up their game the manager is not playing and that.are professional and is well paid has well

ernie – ey?

Big Al – that’s revolting!!! Does he really smell his fingers? yuk

Allegri is a good looking man, I vote for him

Thanks LB.
    All I know about other managers is that 99% of them are losers.I also believe that once AW decide to vacate his position that we will jump on the same merry go round as most other clubs – looking for something that does not exist.

I fear that we are returning to the 50’s/60’s periods, not a pleasant thought.

16. Majur Ayomnok says:

The legend TH14 can manage because we can remember George of 1988 upto 1995 who brought success at the club

Majur
    George did a four year apprenticeship at Millwall.

That puppy loves the snow.
    I love the noise they make when they shake – all sorts of chops, ears and bits slapping about.

puppy is an old pitt, 6 years old now. But he thinks he is a youngster, a bit like you
    Good job he was ‘done’ or other bits would shake too 🙂

20. JM says:

Hypothetically, Zinedine Zidane.

1) He is French. One French manager (Wenger) passing the role to another (Zidane).

2) When he was still playing, especially during in his time with the French national team, he has that {CLUTCH factor} for them winning WC1998 (2 headed goals in the final, mind you, for a playmaker as well, and selected in the all-star team) and winning EURO2000 (player of tournament, selected in the team of tournament) and single-handedly hard-carried the team to the final of WC2006 (where he infamously head-butted Materazzi; while still being named as the tournament’s Best Player). He was injured for WC2002 and France was knocked out in the group stages.

3) He can be a “monster” and has fire in his belly (as above head-butting Materazzi) when necessary. He will not be intimidated and suffer from inferiority complex when facing teams managed by Guardiola, Klopp, Pochettino, Conte, Mourinho, Simeone, Allegri, Heynckes etc.

4) He was known for his superb vision, wonderful close control, spatial awareness, elegance and grace on the pitch, similarly to our Dennis “God” Bergkamp. Zidane = “French God” of football. As manager, he understands the flair and technical players (Kroos, Modric, Isco, C.Ronaldo, Asensio etc), while also recognises the importance of having grit and dynamo players (Casemiro – an important piece for Real, their holding midfielder, Varane, Nacho etc).

5) He earned the respect from many former players: Carlos Alberto, Pele, Beckenbauer, Platini, Maldini, Roberto Carlos, Beckham, Ronaldinho, Rivaldo, Xabi Alonso, Henry etc. And as well as admired by current players, e.g. Eden Hazard, Xavi, Ibrahimovic, and our own star player, Ozil.

6) He is a Muslim, and an influential and strong one as well in the world. Our first team currently has a number of muslim players: Ozil, Mustafi, Elneny, Kolasinac, Xhaka, (anymore?)

7) He will eventually get sacked by Fiorentino Perez, who already sacked 10 other managers (list including del Bosque, Pellegrini, Mourinho, Ancelotti who have managed Real’s title and cup winning sides) in his 12 years reign (2 different spells) as Real’s president.

8) He has four football playing sons (Enzo, Luca, Theo, and Elyaz) in the youth ranks, 1 GK and 3 MFs. They could come in well into our youth and reserve sides. (With expectations for promotion to 1st team, when qualified by the coaches)

9) He is still quite marketable, previously as a footballer, now as manager, commercially and in the media. This will go down well with our board and management (Kroenke, Gazidis, Sir Chips etc).

10) He is Zizou, Zidane. Every true footballer in the world recognises his status in football. He could be one of the pull factors to help club recruit quality players in the future.

dear GN5- have you gone soft?? Vieira, Henry, Arteta or Bould to manage the Arsenal?? They haven’t got one decent year’s experience between them!! NO!! As much as I love TH14 he is not a managerial material. Don’t you remember his sulking at the end of his career at AFC? No. I don’t want him. Bergkamp maybe…no actually, he couldn’t fly to Europa cup games with the team.

Pitt the Youngster 🙂

I call all dogs ‘pups’ or ‘puppies’ regardless of age.

you didn’t call the pug ‘puppy’, you called him fattie

or chubster – both are affectionate uses of fattist terms, though.

ok 🙂 they are absolutely lovely dogs, happy head to toe

skyBet give 5:1 for Brendan Rogers!!!!!!! No way. Ancellotti is the bookies favourite, I am not excited about him

Is this what you had in mind, Micky?

p.s. how did the England rugby manager get on?
    Must have been the tactical orangutan on the touchline’s fault.

Seriously though, the view from the touchline is pants.
    Why do all managers persist with the crap view?

No Eddie I’m not the least bit soft.

I said – If I were to choose it would be someone of the Arsenal ilk ie: Vieira, Henry, Arteta, Bould etc.

I said in the ILK of meaning someone with an Arsenal pedigree.

ILK
    synonyms: type, sort, class, category, group, set, breed, strain, bracket, genre, make, model, kind, brand, vintage, stamp, style, family, variety

I agree Chas the managers view of a game is very poor. Maybe one of these fine days the Manager will sit in a control room, with multiple views of the game and will communicate instructions to his staff on the touchline.

31. Hi Gunner N5
    I would love to agree with you on the “ilk” thing, but can’t.
    Sadly, the days of recruiting from within are now gone.

Post-war Arsenal managers with Arsenal background at time of appointment:
    Tom Whittaker, Jack Crayston, George Swindin, Bertie Mee, Terry Neill, Don Howe, George Graham. All, except Bertie, played for Arsenal.

You mentioned four ilky blokes, none of whom are suitable when put up against “proper” managers with true managerial experience. And I don’t think you or I could name any more.
    TA? erm… no!

——————————————

Where’s Eddie’s footage, Chas?
    Too many dogs, not enough mucus.

and what will happen if Wenger extends his contract? How many of you will hit the roof? me and didit makes it 2.

Big Al,

Whittaker, Mee, Neill and Graham won 10 out of the 16 trophies we won prior to AW. Not too bad at all.

34. Gunner N5,

Absolutely.
    My point is that in the “here-and-now”, and foreseeable future, there’s nobody to match those particular managers.

I repeat: sadly, the days of recruiting from within are now gone.

I was close to name-checking you a few days back, by the way, hoping you were to magically appear. Then decided it wasn’t really necessary.
    I posted that “I worry when Arsene finally calls it a day…”, followed by “I fear we could become another Everton”.

These comments were alluding to the rather long periods without silverware, particularly the League title:
    1953 – 1971 … 18 years
    1971 – 1989 … 18 years
    2004 – 2018 … 14 years

RASP replied “don’t you see future…?” [whatever that means]

I was going to suggest to Rasp that perhaps he chat with your good self, GN5, due to the fact you lived through the earlier years mentioned, hoping you’d put him straight !

I thought his totally daft “don’t you see future…?” was terribly glib and put me in the mood for a good argument.
    Luckily for him the bars were open, with cold beer, and the birds were calling my name… so I let it go.

———————————————————-

Are you reading this, RASP ?
    GRRRRR !!!

Big Al … I haven’t got the foggiest what you are talking about? Are you referring to a comment I made today? yesterday? last week? last month?

If it was a typo and I left a word out that gave meaning to a sentence then I’d expect the reader to realise this and have a good idea of what was intended, or ask for clarification in a later comment.

Big Al,

Whenever we have a manager discussion (too frequently) I always think “Oh boy what you wish for may come back to bite you”

Over the years I’ve written on AA about our years in the trophy wilderness and the managers we’ve had that were trophy less – 12 out of our 19 managers or 63%.

I recognize that Arsene will one day decide to retire but I personally rue that day coming – but when it does I will be forever grateful for what he has done for both the club and us supporters.

With all of the other managers I’ve witnessed 10 out of 19 – well, I was always happy to bid them goodbye.

Dreams are seldom reality.

37. Gunner N5
    I agree with your sentiments totally.

Well Big Al, I hope you enjoy some exotic bird songs at the bar.

39. fred1266 says:

No micky everyone hear at AA sits in the upper tier smh

Eddie
    I won’t hit a roof if Arsene stays. I think it’s time for him to move on, but I won’t lose a seconds sleep over it.

Fred
    I’ve only ever sat front row once and that was the CL final in Paris and it was awful. Other than that, maybe row 6 or 7 at Highbury. My point was simply that the Manager ought to be higher up

41. Rasp,
    February 12, 2018

Your post @12.16 pm
    [edit]… “Suffice to say we need a change at the top and until that time, I fear we will remain in limbo.”

My reply 12.33 pm
    “I fear that when Arsene leaves we may become another Everton.
    That’s real limbo, Rasp.”

Your reply @2:07 pm
    [edit] “Can you really not see future without AW?”

I didn’t reply as the time here was 9.10 pm. The bars were open, the beer cold, and the birds were calling my name. Had to go!
    ——————–

I imagined it was probably a typo. However…
    “Can you really not see ANY future without AW doesn’t make much sense.”
    Immediate future, perhaps? Short-term future? Long-term future, perhaps?
    Rasp, it’s pretty much impossible to predict til we know who Arsene’s (eventual) replacement is.

I took your 2.07 comment as highly optimistic from your point of view. Nothing wrong in that, Rasp… each to their own.

Today I have the opportunity (at last) to mention the above, as it’s relevant to today’s post. Makes sense to wait, that’s why I haven’t asked for clarification before now. Apologies if I should have done so earlier.

Regarding the particular topic of the post on the 12th, and today’s similar topic, let me say I’m not a pessimist, Rasp. But neither am I an optimist due to my life as a Gooner…
    …as a 7-year old fan in 1961 I waited 10 years for a League title, in 1971.
    Then I waited 18 years for the next one.
    And 14 years since Arsene’s last one.

And, no, I’m not complaining. Not one jot. The “lows” are not a problem for me… I’ve enjoyed the entire ride.
    ————————-

p.s…. when I said “another Everton”, I could have said another Spurs as they haven’t won the League for 57 years.
    But as they’re above us right now I opted for the former.

Same comment applies re Liverpool. 28 years wait at the end of this season.

Oh, two very important facts to finish… and totally relevant.

Regarding Spurs’ quest for League glory, since 1961, they have had 20 managers (inc Nicholson). All unsuccessful as regards winning the title.

1961 Bill Nicholson
    2004 Martin Jol
    2007 Juande Ramos
    2008 Harry Redknapp
    2012 André Villas-Boas
    2013 Tim Sherwood
    2014 Mauricio Pochettino

Regarding Liverpool’s quest for League glory, since 1990, they have had 10 managers (inc Dalglish). All unsuccessful as regards winning the title.

Couldn’t happen to Arsenal, Rasp?
    ————————————————-

Hope that clarifies.

42. Forgot… Liverpool’s 10

1985 Kenny Dalglish
    1991 Graeme Souness
    1994 Roy Evans
    1998 Roy Evans and Gérard Houllie
    1998 Gérard Houllier
    2004 Rafael Benítez
    2010 Roy Hodgson
    2011 Kenny Dalglish
    2012 Brendan Rodgers
    2015 Jürgen Klopp

43. fred1266 says:

Was actually throwing that for chas and Eddie

We had a debate last year about me not sitting in upper tier

I had no such debate with you fred. I just agree to everything you say boy.

most AAers are proper toffs and sit in the boxes you know

But you were in the upper tier, Fred. You said so. At least, I think you said you thought you were in the upper tier 🙂

Ahhh, you’ll be referring to Ants and the other one there, Eddie

And he sat next to a lad in the upper tier with glasses who he thought might be Ants.

Micky
    When Feddie-baby lolled at 4:59 pm, he was actually lolling at your 11:43am comment

“Fred
    I’ve forwarded that to the decoding dept.”

which was in reply to the Fredster’s 11:37am

“No a good post”

Hope that clears things up. 🙂

I’m a bit confused to be honest Chas

I thought you wore the specs and Ants was the other one

Frederico

You see how some might get the impression that your comments are just combinations of random words, especially if you use the reply feature of WordPress.

Speaking personally, I love your comments as they add intrigue and distraction to the blog much like a magician uses similar tools in his act.

Anyway, the good news is that you’ve been elevated to toff status and with it comes a nice cosy box

52. Chas
    Eddie’s just secretly emailed me.
    She asks if you could speed up her bogey footage, cause she has to feed her Rottweilers at 6.30.

I’m confused as well.

oi, Big Al, how old are the birds that are calling you? you know there is a lot of stink in UK about Britts in powerty striken countries

oh stop!! I swear he becomes next AFC manager I am off to N17

BTW Tottenham neighbour suggested I watch footy tonight to cheer me up. I used to like her.

Eddie
    Here’s one for you

Like the monkey.

Would be funny if Joachim Löw did the same.

I am not really a lezza, I even had a boyfriend for 4 months

59. Chas,
    Good work.

There’s another similar one to the 6.33.
    Low is SEATED and puts his hand down the BACK of his trousers.
    Eddie might like that one.

…and my second most favourite video of all times. Turn off the sound though

61. Chas,
    Excellent.

Eddie’s emailed me again.
    She’s too shy to ask you directly I think.

Ear wax?

me. shy. I think not.

Thanks Eddie and Chas. The Low thing shouldn’t really be a problem. We are just replacing Arsene’s touchline zip jacket routine with a different touchline routine.

They sell the Arsene jackets in the shop. Wonder if we will get a Jogi scratch and sniff card now in the shop?

In cold weather, animals are attracted to the warmth of a car engine-always check before you drive off

sorry, got over excited 🙂

67. fred1266 says:

It was probably the other Eddie I had the debate with then

68. fred1266 says:

Lol yea that was good time imagine I was sitting shouting chas hoping the guy would turn and look at me

69. fred1266 says:

I meant it not a good post, probably the worst I have ever seen yea,

Despite how bad the team does I can’t seem to blame arsene for it

70. fred1266 says:

Yea sorry about that chas I still don’t get emails or comments even if I post in browser

Using the app easier for me to follow

71. fred1266 says:

How the snow treating you all

Freddie
    Was the post a ‘blame the manager Wenger Out’ post?
    That’s not what I read.

The emphasis was on what sort of manager the Club needs when the current manager goes.

Shit post, yea 🙂

Bloody love those snowmen

We’re forecast feet of the white stuff this pm

I’m definitely going out to buy some glowsticks

Is the game on? I go look

Yip. On.

Given the sloth Erik has gone sun, I take it we need a pm. Correct?

Yesterday twitter was saying that a decision will be made by 10.30am.
    No idea if this is true.

A PM would be most excellent

Not that BR said he would either do or not do one.
    I’m just presuming he won’t after his radio blackout from 6 am yesterday morning.

Chas
    What terrifies me is that Erik was passing through Gatwick
    One of the three fellas in my crypto team was flying into Gatwick yesterday to get a connection from Portugal to India
    My greatest fear is that the two are stranded there, have made contact, and the didit connection made 🙂

Ok, re post

I have to drop the boy off at bus, then I have an 8:30 Skype meeting

So along the way I’ll do something

I’ve a feeling the game will be off, so I wouldn’t bother with a GoonerB-style 1,000 word purist-angled dissection of the team options. 🙂

Eddie

How many inches have you had?

🙂

nobody mentioned last night’s game, which means scum won, have they?

we are on for another bashing tonight it seems, nice

Succinct PM :

Up against it against a better organised and balanced side.

Arsene, play your best balanced and strongest 11 not just put your 11 best individual (or most favourite) players out there.

Play a proper HM to protect the back 4 not an attackingy type CM in this position…..and not 2 of them to make up for this as it wastes a valuable player elsewhere in the line up.

Get some width in the team and / or instruct certain players to give us that width at the right times. Tell them when this is most important.

Get more support to the striker so he is not isolated with 2 CD’s on him.

Go win game.

Cheers, simples.

Fred, the post was stolen from GIE’s comment and GIE is more likely to be supportive of AW than anything else, i.e where your position is also. It was an excellent post and discussion starter IMO.

Exactly Eddie, a nice short post

Oh wow, superb. Thanks GB