A Sinking Ship? Player Ratings

Are we a sinking ship or just a side in transition which is completely out of form?

Yesterday’s trouncing hurt. I don’t agree that there was  lack of effort or fight, in my opinion (and I know it is not some of yours) it was a lack of quality. We simply got outplayed and out-thought. Both the players and the management.

Not one AA’er thought we would win, some may have hoped but none honestly believed we would leave with the Cup. What we all hoped for was that Arsenal would compete and for much of the first half we did, in fact had PEA not missed a sitter (or was it a superb tackle) we could have been even at 45 mins. What happened next was a shock. What changed? We just couldn’t get the ball, our passes when we had the ball were wayward, our attackers had no chances. Ozil and PEA were passengers. Was it AFC who got worse or City who put on a masterclass of movement and possession football?

Whatever it was, we were embarrassing for 30 minutes, especially after the second goal. We rallied towards the end but created only a single opportunity (PEA for Iwobi)

Player Ratings:

Ospina. Second time in 4 days he was beaten by a cross shot.  5

Chambers. Battled hard  5

Mustafi  Terrible for the first goal. A flaky defender who needs to find consistency  3

Koscielny. Had a decent game. My MotM   6

Bellerin.  Managed to keep Sane relatively quiet but could not get forward   5

Ramsey. Clearly unfit.  4

Wilshere. Plenty of drive and action, not enough creativity.   5

Xhaka. Poor performance. Worked hard but simply not good enough   3

Monreal/Kolasinac. Thank goodness Sterling was injured.    4

Ozil. Anonymous. 3

PEA. Tried hard but got no service. Missed our only real chance.  4

Wenger. Looks lost and must be sitting at home dazed. We got tonked and it seems as though his final season (hopefully) will be his worst.   4 (one extra for looking so smart at kick-off)

Looking at the above, I am surprised that I gave the defence higher marks, but it was not their fault there was a tidal wave of City attacks., for the most part they defended well, though Mustafi’s weakness for the first was very poor.

Still … onwards and upwards. Let’s beat them on Thursday.

wriiten by BR

99 Responses to A Sinking Ship? Player Ratings

Thank you BR, a good honest post and enjoyed reading it until the last sentence. Ffs 🙂

I not and. still shell shocked

Excellent, BR.

The season has gone from one trough to the next, even deeper one. Hopefully yesterday was the nadir though nothing would surprise me.
    Utter pants.

That is a very good summary and one I completely agree with especially the idea that it had little to do with a lack of effort and everything to do with the ability to buy better players, the idea that a new manager will be able to change this just doesn’t ring true with me.

I could obviously go on but you can see my point and it is the reason that I have tied myself to the mast and have every intention of going down with the ship, just to keep the nautical theme of the post above going.

Some managers are just not meant to win certain cups.

Great to see GoonerB yesterday after his massive shit and before going back to his miserable friends. 😆

LB. What you say about transfers is true.

Another question could be “would Pep have done better with the Arsenal team than Wenger?”. Impossible to say with any certainty but IMO the answer is Yes (much as it hurts to write it 😦 )

7. VP of Oz says:

BR, did Pep do better than Heynckes, No.

BR

That question proves my point even further.

“Would a new manager have been able to buy Aguero rather than PEA? No. Would a new manager have been able to have brought Kompany over Mustafi? No.” ETC

Would Guardiola have been able to make those signings rather than Wenger? There is no reason to assume that he would.

BR you want a change, I get it.

9. RC78 says:

Ospina – 4
    Bello – 4
    Chambers – 3
    Mustafi – 2
    Kos – 5
    Koli – 4
    Xhaka – 3
    Ramsey – 3
    Wilshere – 3
    Ozil – 3
    PEA – 4

AWFUL GAME AWFUL LOSS AWFUL ATTITUDE

10. fred1266 says:

Yea losing the oster probably didn’t help

Thank you Raddy a realistic and still kindly review of the game.

We can forget trotting out the fact that city have more money than us … that’s a gimme …. in the same way as repeating that Arsene has been an incredible manager and deserves our respect … both are FACT

What is ridiculous is for anyone to bring those two factors into an appraisal of our performance in the game.

The players were lost out there. Mustafi was the wrong side of Aguero because he didn’t bust a gut to get back into position … the same strolling back to defend we’ve witnessed over the last 6 years or so. We didn’t want it enough. We didn’t know how to pick ourselves up when we were down. Our confidence was as brittle as ever.

The players didn’t believe we could win , especially after that ridiculous first goal. The much repeated ‘spirit’ was gone, this was compounded by the loss of Monreal – one of the few players who actually does show some fight when it is needed.

Arsene can’t motivate these players. He refuses to address our weaknesses. The players have never feared the wrath of Arsene … but now they don’t feel the need to work for him either. He’s an aged, low energy manager who exudes negativity and stress from the touchline in complete contrast to the younger more dynamic managers who motivate the teams above us.

Rasp has it spot on….unfortunately. I am with him and Raddy in that a change in management is required. We are stale, with outdated methods and tactics and seemingly bereft of different or new ideas.

Where I disagree (Rasp aside) is that this can easily be palmed off on their extra spending. I would be a fool to say it has no effect but for me not the absolute reason some feel. I just think that is an easy convenient way to avoid the harsher truths.

There are other factors to consider. Firstly I would say that City will add every component they need (or that Pep identified) to have a title challenging squad ready in one hit. They don’t worry about spreading this outlay over a few years and developing the squad over that time frame. “You need this? There you are you’ve got it”.

They also will pay over the odds for a player they need rather than walk away without that player. Clubs know that they can force City to pay over the odds and that they will do it. As such these factors mean that their total outlay is skewed higher than the quality of player they have actually bought.

Think about who City actually bought in the summer rather than just the total figure. No-one really that made you sit up and go wow. No Messsi, Ronaldo, Suarez, Neymar e.t.c. They more solidified their squad depth and strength than bought superstars. The rest is down to the person moulding it together.

Compare the teams player for player:

Ospina vs Bravo; nothing suggests superiority to me

Bellerin vs Walker; Ditto

Monreal vs Danillo; Ditto

Kos and Mustaffi vs Kompany and Otamendi; Ditto

Xhaka vs Fernandinho; Ditto(ish). Not that one is better than the other per se but Fernandinho is more suited to the HM role so brings more team balance = managerial decision

Ozil, Ramsey, Jack vs De-Bruyne, Sane, Da-Silva; This is the harder one. Again I will state that player for player they are not (or by much) superior. Sane brings a bit more balance because he can give width where ours don’t. We have 3 CM’s to their 2 + 1 to give that width and pace. Again I think this is a managerial decision. These 3 are playing in a better functioning team rather than a vastly superior one so look to be the higher quality players. i would state that a swap of Ozil and De-Bruyne would see the inverse direct affect on performances this season on each of them and Ozil would then be considered the better player.

PEA vs Aguero. Again a tough one but again I think Aguero is playing in the better functioning side with more support. PEA’s stats at club level in the league and in the ECL don’t suggest an inferior striker.

As I am likely considered to be one of the more pessimistic bloggers I will counter that by saying that this AA blogger actually didn’t expect a hammering, and in fact I don’t feel that they had (or at least not by much) a superior team than us, as outlined above, and actually fancied us to do it. This massively superior squad and spending line I feel is just a way to deal with our failings more easily, and I mean no disrespect to those that feel this way, just don’t agree with it.

I retain optimism that we have a far better team and squad than we like to identify with when we play poorly. My pessimism is that I feel we no longer (and haven’t for 3-4 years) have the right person to mould top players into a top functioning unit and we are being left behind far more in this area than in the spending and quality of player area.

GB. Respectful disagreement is the essence of blogging.

Our midfield is nowhere near the quality of theirs. Each City player is an expert in their role, our are wedged into the system. Ramsey is a similar player to De Bruyne but seriously …. is he as good? Of course not. I have huge admiration for Ramsey who is one of my favourite players but I recognise he is the lesser player.
    Sane is the best left sided attacking MF in the PL. Sterling the same on the right.

Another difference is the quality of the benches. Jesus, Silva, Stones, Laporte and probably Foden would all get into our first team

More money buys you better players, I find it hard to imagine that anyone disputes this. So if Man City played Barnet it would be obvious that the collection of greater, more expensive, talent would win 99 out of 100 times.

There is nothing ridiculous about that it is a sad and annoying reality.

And so to try and suggest that the lesser team in this example Barnet “didn’t want it” in their 99 losses is a little bit silly.

Would Kompany have made the same mistake as Mustafi, unlikely, would Arsenal have been able to attract Guardiola, unlikely.

The fact is you get what you pay for and if anyone thinks it is just us who are suffering from this problem, look no further than Chelsea, they have a YEM (young exciting manager) and the only thing he could afford in the last window was Giroud ffs

I get that many people want change but the idea that a new manager will be some kind of panacea is wishful thinking.

The difficulty I have debating with you GB is that you set your stall out and then precede to contradict yourself in the next 500 words.

Hi LB, no one disputes that if you spend wisely, generally more money buys you better players … that is accepted as I stated in my earlier comment.

These are the questions I would ask:

1. Do you think that the performance of our team on Sunday was the best we can expect from that group of players?

2. Can you recognise any pattern of deficiency in our playing style that is not attributable solely to the quality of the players?

3. (to repeat Raddy from earlier) Do you think Guardiola would have got a better performance out of our players?

As regards Conte at Chelsea … he’s out of the door in the summer. He’s fallen out with Abramovic and that is always fatal. He did however, win the EPL in his first season so pretty good on the motivational front when he had full support.

Giroud was bought as a sticking plaster to tide them over until the summer when a new manager will come in and several 100m will be spent on players .. partly funded by the sale of Hazard I’m guessing.

18. wally says:

We see the same mistakes defensively year after year after year. At least 8 years on the trot now. The players change but the problem persists. It’s not about buying better players but coaching up the players we have. That’s not happening is it.
    Every year, come January/February we look like/play like shit. The players change but the results don’t. What’s the common factor?

That said i’ve come round on my views. Someone mentioned changing the players would be preferable to changing the coach.It was like Paul on the road to Damascus. I see it clearly now. The problem is not the manager, it’s the players. Over the next 2-3 years we can flog off most of this pusillanimous lot take whatever funds we can get and bring in an entire new set. It might take 4-5 years minimum of mid-table or worse results but finally, at the end, wenger will have a whole new set of proper players wholly dedicated to his vision and we can resume our rightful place among the elite of Europe.

19. jjgsol says:

Like all of you, I was most disappointed at the result but not surprised.

It is impossible to compare players, like for like, because they play such a completely different game.

The Guardiola style seems to me to comprise 2 elements. One is keeping possession of the ball, which involves a lot of movement by the players and results in extreme frustration for the opposing team.

The 2nd aspect, which is the most difficult, is the fact that, as soon as they lose possession and an opposing player gets the ball, he’s immediately surrounded by players harassing him, preventing him from thinking let alone doing something decent with the ball.

They add to this hashing down any opposing player who escapes the immediate harassment, which is exactly what happened yesterday, especially with Ozil and Jack.

After 2 attacks on Ozil at the beginning of the game, I suspect he was completely Nevilled.

Jack seems to have more gumption to him but even so for the 1st 20 or 25 minutes of the 2nd half he was seemingly under control.

I reckon that the purpose of this system, more than anything else, is to entirely demoralise the opponents and that is why it is so successful.

Where you have a bus parking team i.e. team which is extremely efficient in its defence, they are likely to be less demoralised and less phased by the system.

That’s why the Wigans and the Burnleys are able to cope with the system, not by counteracting it, but by absorbing it.

The problem arises when you have a team which is naturally attacking and finds blanket defending difficult, which is exactly our position

It is essential to concentrate fully and not to make mistakes especially early in the game and that is exactly what we did yesterday.

Once we are one nil down and cannot get possession of the ball the memory do can’t do much with it, the demoralising continues apace.

Clearly, Wenger has not found a way to get around the system, despite valiant trying. No doubt he will try again on Thursday and may find having the same problems, unless he can find defenders who able to concentrate throughout the whole of this difficult exercise.

One final observation in that it seems that Guardiola has succeeded in training the referees to do his bidding as well as his players.

It seems that all he was interested in was protecting his players from assaults by other teams, but was not expecting other teams’ talented players to be protected as well stop

20. jjgsol says:

The word “hashing” in the 11th line should be “hacking”.

Unfortunately yes, a different manager might have set the team out differently but the outcome would have almost certainly have been the same, I refer to the Barnet – City example I gave above by way of reason.

No, the better the group of players the more likely you are of winning, Leicester is the exception that proves the rule.

No, he might have got a different performance, but again I refer to the Barnet – City example as reason for the most likely out come. To me like many other things football is a percentage game; Eddie asked Chas to bet on yesterday’s out come to which he declined stating that he was not stupid (I paraphrase) the reason was that the odds were hugely stacked against us. Wenger got a great performance to win the FA cup last year and beat the odds but yesterday was a bridge too far.

Again I recognise that many people want change but change will not necessarily bring about more success.

Thanks for the response LB. I fundamentally disagree on all points, but see no profit in either of us repeating the same mantra over and over again. As Raddy also pointed out, respectful disagreement is the essence of blogging …. have a good day 😁

sorry LB but I am wondering where the 500 word contradictions are from the stall I set out.

I thought I set out my stall to say that I don’t agree with the line taken that we can explain in full what we witnessed at the weekend (and on many occasions in the last few years) due to the differences in what they have spent compared to us, and that I didn’t feel they had a vastly superior team to us. At least not enough to cover the vast gaps we are seeing in the 2 teams performances now and across the season as a whole.

Everything after this was an explanation of why I felt it wasn’t as black and white regarding their greater spending, and that there were other factors that could be considered beyond the face value of their spending total, which I then outlined.

Then I analysed their team vs ours to promote my feeling that they are not that superior player for player on an individual basis, and that what I felt we were witnessing was more down to superior coaching of the entire team unit rather than massive differences in quality on a player to player basis.

I personally feel I stated an argument and backed it with factors I considered relevant to the argument. I don’t see where I have contradicted myself, but if you are to make a somewhat dismissive statement like this LB, with an inference that this is the reason you don’t enjoy blogging with me, perhaps you could actually back this statement with some relevant evidence that backs your point that I have contradicted myself.

I also mentioned that I respect others views to be different from mine and if someone feels this spending makes a massive (or total) difference in the 2 teams then who am I to dismiss them over this view. I will just state if I don’t agree with it and why. Others will see it my way and many will see it the other way.

I will be interested to hear where you felt my contradictions were LB.

Not wishing to contradict myself you understand ….. but I fully expect those same players to give a better account of themselves on Thursday …. going some way to proving my point No.1 😂

25. wally says:

LB, your line of thinking says wenger is irrelevant.
    If the manager makes no difference than let’s get Fat Sam in here pronto. At least we’ll have a few laughs to mitigate the pain of sliding into mediocrity.

jj @2.46. good point and analysis and I would accept any argument that states that better players makes Guardiolas system easier to implement but would also take much of your comment as saying that Man City just have a better system and tactical approach to games.

I don’t want it to sound like a Wenger hate rant, but for me the cold hard analysis is that Arsene was once the coach of the moment whose methods were at the sharp end of the game, but that his methods have been superseded and improved upon now and he hasn’t moved with it.

Unfortunately I have to agree with those that feel Guardiola could get a lot more out of our squad with his modern coaching approach.

Good point Wally

Although, I don’t think we are sliding I think we are being pushed.

I am not anti-Wenger, quite the opposite but over the past few months have come to believe he should not have continued after winning the FAC in summer. It was time for a New Arsenal.

LB. Pushed by whom? Kroenke? Gazidis? Or outside forces?

something has to change. The change in management is the most obvious course of action, as players have changed and that did not improve team’s performance. On the contrary, yesterday’s 11 played worse than young Guns from 5-7 years ago.

The next manager is likely to fail, he will inherit players who clearly play badly most of the season. The manager after will fail for the same reason. This can go on until we land someone who will truly rebuild and plan long term. A Wenger from 20 years ago or a Pochettino. This of course will only be possible if Kroenke dies for he will not seek success and is likely to appoint someone to follow in Wenger’s footsteps – spend wisely, keep the fans eager, try for the 4th spot making supporters believe it’s a trophy.

LB- are you proposing that nothing changes? I cannot believe you think that

raddy – sadly you have only realised that now, some of us could see the decline for a few years now. For a club of our size not to win a major trophy for 14 years should never be acceptable.

Eddie. This is where we disagree. Arsenal have won trophies in 3 of the last 5 years and been top 4 for 4 of them (twice coming second). The decline is recent.

I agree with LB and others about financial doping. To compete we had to have Usamov.

I was at the game but haven’t seen any highlights as of yet. I do like to get both perspectives when I can to get that more rounded appreciation. Sometimes you get something from one that you don’t see from the other and vice versa. I admit to not attending as often as others on here, and at games you can often see a bigger picture than what the camera shows you.

I think I noticed a factor that relates to something I have stated before. When City had the ball in defence and were looking to work it forwards I noticed that at least 1 but often 2 of the more attacking players immediately moved over to hug the touchline. This seemed to give them better options to pass the ball out and I thought even if we push a defender onto those wide players they are then creating more space down the central channels to exploit.

Conversely I thought that we didn’t offer that wide option from our forward players with everyone seemingly looking to play centrally down narrower channels. That meant that their defenders could stay in more narrow central areas without having to worry about going wide and it gave them more bodies to defend a more streamlined congested area.

I have mentioned before that AW’s apparent preference for a certain type of CM that he then utilises across our offensive and midfield area doesn’t give us the balance that a more specialised type of player can to compliment the CM’s.

Just getting these players is not enough either if they are not coached or asked to give that width to the team at times. I sometimes feel our only width comes when the FB’s camp higher like wingers, and even then I feel they more often receive the ball statically in wide areas rather than incisively on the run in behind.

It seemed many of our quick forward passes were through the proverbial eye of a needle and were more frequently intercepted so that promising situations broke down quickly with valuable possession being surrendered.

Personally I felt it was a key factor in their ability to mount forward offences with a period of sustained possession (with the whole team pressing up) rather than a quick surrender of possession. After this is implemented the point that jj states about their quick high press comes into play to keep momentum at the opposition end.

Raddy, just friendly debating you understand 🙂 but I feel there a number of contradictions to the financial argument explaining everything, but as I have said it will have some relevance. I am not certain about all the following but some will be relevant.

Leicester may be written off as an anomaly but it still happened. Have Spurs spent loads more than us? Looking further afield have the likes of Athletico and Juve (who have given a far greater account of themselves in their leagues and also the ECL) spent way more than us.

Last year our involvement in the ECL over those not in it was often used to explain being behind them in the league because we had been playing tougher games. What about this year and say Spurs with their involvement and also spending levels? How do we explain this?

I just feel there are contradictions all over the place that water down the money settles all arguments approach.

Eddie

I understand many people want change. The problem I think I have is that I can’t help putting myself in the owner’s shoes and asking myself how much would it cost to win the EPL and I realise that I would have to out spend not just an oil rich man but an oil rich country. This is almost impossible, that being the case I question just how much can be improved by change.

Don’t get me wrong, I would be a curious as the next person to see how the next man deals with the problems at Arsenal and the reality is that AW will not go on for too much longer, so if you wanted change or didn’t want change, change is going to happen and with that all will be revealed in the not too distant future.

BR

Pushed by the weight of money that the likes of City and PSG have been able to bring to bear in more recent times.

LB – that is a very depressing prospect. I am more optimistic and honestly think that we are 2-3 managers short of being top again. Despite the oil money City were beaten by Wigan and drew with Burnley. Neither Wigan nor Burnley have half as much money as we do. I REFUSE TO BELIEVE FOOTBALL IS ALL ABOUT MONEY.

What you are saying is that these of us on the wrong side of 50 (99% of AAers) will never see the EPL trophy again??

Still waiting for the explanation on my 500 word contradiction??

GB – I don’t get it either. It was 639 words, so only 139 were not contradictory? Or 500 contradicted 139 or visa versa?

639 Eddie. A bit on the short side for me 🙂

🙂 someone has clearly read it carefully. not me I am afraid. I can only concentrate for long enough to digest one liners from Didit 🙂

No problems Eddie 🙂

BTW, good to see the Vines, albeit briefly. Those boys know how to party 🙂

44. fatgingergooner says:

It’s not ALL about money, it’s about having the best team. Money is a large part of that, obviously, and gives certain teams a huge advantage, but if it was the be all and end all then we may aswell just count up the cash and give the trophy to City every year.

Champions like Arsenal (98/02/04), Leicester, A.Madrid (13/14), Montpellier happen because it’s not all about money. At the moment its scary to look at City and see what looks like future domination, but football changes quickly and no doubt that will happen again.

Personally, I believe that there has to be change. I don’t expect Arsenal to try to match what City are spending as what would be the point (they would just spend more), but I do expect the club to try. The same as I expected the players to try on Sunday. Sitting back idly and watching us slip away because ‘City have all the money’ is not acceptable.

Anyway, it’s not the gap to City and United that we should be worrying about right now, it’s the one to Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs that scares me. We don’t have a worse squad than those teams and we don’t have a financial deficit either. If City and United have too much cash, then whats the excuse for being 8 points from top 4?

GB – what? were they pissed? midday?

Ant accosted me in the toilet Eddie.

dear lord, so sorry to hear that GB. Are you ok?

GB. I do not think it is all about money. It is also about the coaching and management (my 3.57 & 10.05)

49. fred1266 says:

Financial fair play still exist?

what is ‘financial fair play’ fred? TV series?

Apologies Erik.

I did read and enjoy but was simply too occupied to comment. I would have probably said something complicated and incredibly insightful, like oh well

Ahhh, the short list. It exists does it? Yeah right!

How is Sane not offside when the ball rolls within 6 inches of his boot?

Chas

I saw something on twitter yesterday you would have liked. Awesome light play in sea water at night. Something to do with plankton.

a. I can’t copy from twitter and b. cant give away my id

Micky

You’re on the list at number three.

Wembley was fun.

Chas
    Found it
    Site called mashable.com and called “sea sparkle”

List? Que?

Micky

I’ve had a look for bio-luminescence but can’t see much.
    Who is the tweeter?

Stan has you earmarked for a team motivational role.

Says mashable@mashable

ha ha ha. You mean ‘Oh Well’ would work better than the current motivational number 🙂

Yep, well it was the one assessment which rang true with me!

I had a look at @mashable but they tweet so many an hour, I got bored after looking at 12 hours worth of tweets.

This caught my eye though. I need to get some.

I’m not sure the Vines bros are flexible enough to take selfies with our feet.

Okedoke, afraid it’s dash time
    ps like the term bio-luminescance

Great pics and videos Chas. Some handsome devils in that pub 🙂

72. fatgingergooner says:

Allegri or Low would be my choice.

I thought Gorilla tape was the strongest. I used it and there is no way it can seal the hole in the blue bucket. Bull. shit. sir.

GB – have you noticed thought that the 3 brothers do not look like brothers, at all. You would know that my brother and my half sister are my siblings, but the Vines? Strange 🙂

no, no Low!!!! Notorious nose picker, we would be subjected to obvious jokes, laughing stock

identical? I call my pittbull and chubby Twins 🙂

Venga’s picked a few bogeys

Ancelotti is bookies’ favourite

did he? yukkie, disgusting habit

Former Arsenal striker Ian Wright says he “could not make a case” for Arsene Wenger to remain as manager beyond the end of this season.
    Wright also accused some players of being “on easy street” and argued that owner Stan Kroenke “does not care”.
    Arsenal have lost six out of 12 games in 2018, the latest in the Carabao Cup final against Manchester City.
    “There are excuses [from Wenger] and he is mollycoddling a team,” Wright told BBC Radio 5 live.
    “Whether he stays at the end of this season, I could not make a case. I am not sure anyone can. This development of mediocrity has to be arrested.”

My Old Man said be a tottnumb fan……..

Ant looks like Me Mum and you like Me Dad I think

lovely photos, where was the holiday snap taken?

Torquay probably.

Everyone has always said the likenesses were the other way round (I realise you were probably saying like that deliberately 🙂 )

Although a bit hard hitting Wrights comments are hard to disagree with Eddie. At least he attributes some collective blame involving Kroenke and the players as well.

no I didn’t. But the wedding photo tells a different story 🙂 Beautiful pic and the dress would still look great today.

Me mum cut up all her wedding photos and binned them 🙂 I’ve done the same with mine

GB – I am not sure Wrighty should stick his orr in, not his place really. Very disrespectful to Wenger. I hate back stubbers

it’s one think to criticise the club and the manager amongst other Gunners, but outside we should be united not run the mouth in public

100% agree, Eddie.

First place you have to look is the players. When Guardiola first arrived in England one of his players got sent off a couple of times for bad tackles (can’t remember who it was) and the media wanted him to explain what coaching he does on tackling in the game.

His answer was something along the lines of…..I shouldn’t have to coach tackling if a player has got this far in the game.

The same goes for Mustafi on the first, yes it’s a foul, Aguero looks at him blocks him off without playing the ball, it’s blatant. But still the fact remains that from a goal kick Mustafi should not allow a player to be standing behind him. If he doesn’t know you can’t be offside from a goal kick or just too absent minded to be goalside I don’t see why we should expect a player at this level of the game to need to be told that.

And I guess that’s where I side with LB, if you can’t buy the best you have to get the best out of what you have got. And maybe Wenger is, I certainly don’t look at the side and think we are under performing especially not with the constant changes that are going on.

I have been lucky enough to have seen bio-luminescence a couple of times. It is magical.

On the Aguero push. How could the VAR ref (Swarbrick) say that he had seen the incident and it is not a foul? Just look where the Argie is looking. It makes a nonsense of VAR.

Though Mustafi should have been stronger.

As to the Sane offside? Another example of pisspoor linesmanship and another example of Swarbrick’s ineptitude

GIE. You say it so much better than me 😀

Morally I agree Eddie as well but most of these guys are in the media now and it is their living.

I think you can pick different types of media types and there have been those that have had it in for AW from the start (Stewart Robson for one), those that are slightly more middle ground and those that have kept as quiet and respectful as possible for as long as possible.

Even in this latter group it seems, to a man, they cannot defend Arsene or the situation anymore. These pundits have to remain in the public eye and relevant so telling them not to comment is like telling a chef not to cook. If they try and defend AW and the current situation then they will look like fools and will likely become considered irrelevant pundits.

I don’t like the sheer mass of public criticism myself but understand these guys are there to say something whether we like it or not.

NEW POST

I’ll move your comment over GIE

Sorry gang – really bad timing on my part.

93. fred1266 says:

You guys can’t be posting picture and not putting name to faces

94. fred1266 says: