Should Gooners support English Teams in the CL?

If an English team in the Champions League is facing oppostion from across the water, do you want them to do well and progress or see a defeat of momentous proportions?

Last night one of our illustrious commenters said this…

Anyone gutted Chelsea drew today, I was so rooting for OG?

Now the big Frenchman was a fine servant for the Arsenal, but wanting the chavs to do well so that you can see a big smile on Olly’s face – hmm, not sure about that.

Earlier in the day, I’d seen this tweet from Danny Baker and again I couldn’t quite see how it was a hard and fast rule that all football followers would think the same.

The Round of 16 draw meant that English teams couldn’t face one another. At present 2 are almost guaranteed progression to the quarters, one achieved a good draw away from home, one a knife-edge draw at home and the red mancs are still to play. Does the prospect of seeing 5 English clubs in the last eight fill you with dread or make you proud of the success of the Premier League?

I suppose the further English teams get in the competition the better our UEFA coefficient, but watching Champions League football has to be more interesting if you’re seeing teams that you don’t see play every week?

One benefit of having all-English quarter finals would be the opportunity to see two of the five clubs above us, kicking great lumps out of each other.

Personally my dislike of the spuds, chavs and red mancs is too strong to ever want to see them win any game in Europe. For some reason, Liverpool and Man City don’t stir the same feelings of loathing. Having said that, I’ll still smile when either get knocked out.

How is it even possible for anyone outside red Manchester to want this fella to win a game? Even if he took over at the Home of Football, I’d struggle. 🙂

Anyway, what do you think? Do you agree with Danny Baker that proper English football fans would never support other English clubs in Europe?

Or maybe you feel some pride in Tottenham and Chelsea beating top European opposition?

Then again, you may have the opinion that you want to see the best possible football, so it makes sense to want to see the best teams progress?

Alexander Pushkin

41 Responses to Should Gooners support English Teams in the CL?

1. VP of Oz says:

Not a difficult question for an aussie
    May all the english teams get knocked out, especially the diving spuds
    If the gunners are not in it then let ZZ lift the trophy again

2. rhyle says:

There’s only one team I ever want to do well in any competition. Well…maybe the O’s as a kind of distant cousin I pity a bit…but outside of that f*** ’em, as they say.

My wife and her family are all from Liverpool so I don’t have feelings of loathing for them and I felt better about Man C before they got oiled up – but the other three have never and will never get my support. My scale of abhorrence is 100+% Spurs, 99.9% Man U and 99.5% Chelsea.

There really has been a prolific headline poster dying to get out.

When I read Fred’s comment I thought to myself something has got lost in translation here.

Still it made a good ideA for a post.
    I am with Ryle—f them all

Sky Sports

David Ospina to start Arsenal’s EFL Cup final against Manchester City

‘I have two world-class goalkeepers’ – Arsene Wenger confirms David Ospina will keep his place in goal for the Europa League and EFL Cup final

Arsenal goalkeeper David Ospina will start against Manchester City in Sunday’s EFL Cup final, Arsene Wenger has confirmed.

Aaron Ramsey (groin) remains a doubt for the game at Wembley despite returning to training this week, while Mesut Ozil “should be ok” for the final having suffered with sickness.
    Arsenal vs Man City

Both midfielders will not play against Ostersunds in Arsenal’s Europa League last-32 second leg on Thursday, but Ospina will remain in goal for all cup fixtures.
    “It’s always difficult decisions but we are always clear about that since the start of the season,” said Wenger after confirming Ospina’s position in goal ahead of Petr Cech.

“I have two world-class goalkeepers and I decided from early on to have clarity in the games we play, so I will maintain that.”

Arsenal have a three-goal aggregate lead over Ostersunds, but Wenger insisted Ozil would have featured in the home leg at the Emirates if he was fully fit.

Henrikh Mkhitaryan, cup-tied for Sunday’s final against City because of his involvement for Manchester United earlier this season, will play in the Europa League, along with Danny Welbeck.

“Mesut was sick until Wednesday,” said Wenger. “That’s why I would certainly have played him. He should be ok for Sunday.”

Wenger confirmed Alexandre Lacazette is recovering well from his knee injury and could return within four weeks, while Ramsey will be monitored ahead of a decision over whether he plays in Sunday’s EFL Cup final.

“He had a good training session but he’s a bit short for tomorrow [against Ostersunds],” said Wenger.

“We’ll see how his evolution goes from now until Sunday, I don’t rule him out yet, it depends how well he improves.”

If Pushkin, Mink and Chas are one and the same, then what we are witnessing is a Coup

All hail and long live our new leader.

It’s all about damage limitation and worst case scenarios. The latter being Totnum winning anything. After that, I think I get the most enjoyment out of watching Utd lose, and especially since Maureen took over on the bridge.

Thanks to whoever wrote this. I am a tad worried about the multiple personality disorder on show and hope that you settle happily on one in the near future……..and that she has a great rack for you to glance down at.

Well Chastity, I must say I don’t like any of these teams doing better than us but would prefer it that we are playing to our full potential and doing well so that I don’t have to constantly pray for any other clubs demise.

I feel I have been wishing negative thoughts on rival clubs for too long now, to ease the pain of our own deficiencies, that I am becoming all bitter and twisted. I would prefer it that I consider them, and anything they do, as an irrelevance because it matters not to the mighty all conquering Arsenal.

On another note I think if I were Cech I would be slightly miffed. He is (or at least has been ) the world class keeper and was coming to us to be first choice and enjoy success in the bigger things. Our failings in the bigger things have not allowed him to enjoy any success in his time with us, and we have only been successful as a cup side which goes to the understudy.

Weird that the 1st choice keeper is winning nothing and the 2nd choice getting all the juicy glory moments that we have enjoyed. He seems an honourable and non trouble making individual but this must be hard for him to take and doesn’t seem morally right for me.

8. quentin crisp says:

Alexander
    What have we left but the bitter enjoyment of our rivals’ demise?

As you, yourself proclaimed…….
    I’ve lived to bury my desires,
    And see my dreams corrode with rust;
    Now all that’s left are fruitless fires
    That burn my empty heart to dust.

GoonerB
    Trust you to bring the topic back round to us being shit again. 😊

As for Cech, his medal collection is rather extensive already and with him being such a lovely chap, I’m sure he wouldn’t begrudge any reserve goalie a crack at one.

Oi, Mein Leader

Is this the new approach we take with the infidel GB?

I will follow you, Master, and together we shall go, always a little further, it may be beyond the last blue mountain barred with snow, across that angry or that glimmering sea, but we will track down the one wot says we’re always two players short and that Wenger smells

Only slightly changing the topic, to the moon, but anyone see the thing around 11pm last night?

I was hurtling along a motorway, and ahead was a stunning, bright crescent moon at around 10pm. An hour later, the thing was deep orange.

Is that dust in the sky or what

Firstly, may I say what a privilege it is to read a post from Pushkin. Who knew he was a Gooner?

I was also shocked to see Mink de Ville write a piece yesterday. Spanish Stroll has always been a fave and I am delighted the Big Willy is also a Gooner.

To those who don’t know his work listen to this beauty, IMO it is
    fantastic. Guess the guitarist … Rasp will get it for sure

I’ve been bored around this last FA Cup weekend so I asked me mates Big Willy and The Push to help out.

Yesterday was a roaring success with Big Willy, today with The Push left everyone cold. I was disappointed that the Fredster didn’t pronounce he was “In” and come on to defend his OG comment.

Oh well, filled in a gap before tomorrow’s big game when we return to some sanity. 🙂

I agree with Danny Baker. Except for MC. Who in their right mind would want Spurs to beat Juve?

Haha Chas. Just felt you all needed reminding. I just think we are not fulfilling our potential going back a few seasons now with the same factors undermining us left unaddressed, and that is shit.

Love AW and all that but don’t see the evidence to suggest he quite has it at this level anymore, but I don’t think everything that is not right is down to him, and I do feel we have the potential to be brilliant. Would love to be proved wrong ( 🙂 ) and for AW to make us brilliant again.

Anyway, living in a heavily populated Gooner area you want to hear what many others are saying and feeling, and to me it feels like the majority rather than the minority. Most of them make me look like my picture should be next to positive in the dictionary and that I have been on the happy pills 🙂

Cheers Pushkin. I admire your help in freeing us from the Fez. Also like your poetry, especially the stuff I’ve had the pleasure of never reading

Do I want any of those twats to win in Europe? Let me see? There’s that bloke I know who turns a conversation about the weather into my financial status, mental state, and how tight my pants are waiting at the bus stop? Let me go and have a chat with him.

However, if it means any of the others knocking out Totnumb, I am willing to spend all day shopping for men’s lingerie with the bastard.

If necessary, I am willing to sleep with him.

Thank goodness Transplant is not an early morning blogger, because I wouldn’t want his help in answering my question.

How can I get aroused for this evening?

Arousal is all relative ( and I don’t mean in a Norfolk sense)

How about getting a gang of piglets to lick you all over your body while watching the match?

Get a cat to help you with your homework?

Have a team huddle with the family just before kick off?

Last suggestion

Don’t watch the football and shag the wife instead.

If this doesn’t get you aroused, nothing will.

Great pigs. They’re Oxfords. Nice. Ruined by the pug. Sorry Eddie and Mesut, but those eyes…yuk

The football huddle…. ‘you’re in goal, Erik in the plimsolls on the wing,….’

The wife suggestion? Definitely preferable

Sun shining. Easterly winds for first time in months. Very tempted to go surfing

The waves look gnarly

Gnarly?? Sun shining here but bitter winds. Easterly. Fischer and Gale force 5 Viking.

didit at 6:54 – your comment says it all, ie you know nothing about dogs mate!! The beauty is not a pug!!!!!!! it is a Frenchie 🙂

“Arsenal star Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang handed £160 parking ticket after leaving £150,000 GOLD Range Rover outside Emirates stadium without a permit”

you’d think he’d be allowed to park at the Ems’ car park

160 quid!!!! Is that how much a parking ticket costs??

no raddy, only if you fookick destroy otherwise perfect motor and paint it gold. Serves him right

32. VP of Oz says:

Chas 6:41, after 25yrs of marriage, nothing is better

VP – you are not going to watch the game tonight??

34. VP of Oz says:

Eddie, its not on Optus sport so I wont be able to get coverage.

aha, so shagging it is. Enjoy

batshitcrazy has already scored 3 goals in BDB. Perhaps we should have bought him

37. VP of Oz says:

Actually Eddie, I’ve been meaning to tell you how my wife does not enjoy painting (thats what she keeps telling me when I tell her she does) but is always painting. Something you both have in common.

Our first house she wouldve painted in its entirety about 5 times. In our 3rd home, I remember having dinner guests go home and with the kids asleep she turns to me and says “lets start painting”. We finished painting the hallway and dining room at about 3am. On Monday, I came home and she told me how she had a couple of client cancellations so had decided to repaint the bedroom.

I find it unbelievably amazing how someone can have so much energy to paint and then paint and then paint again until the look is just right. It makes me feel inadequate as I cannot keep up anymore and have long given up making the effort to help, I find it exhausting.