Can VAR stop Spurs Cheating?

An exciting game at Anfield left Mr. Klopp fuming and a few million viewers shaking their heads at another example of the lack of moral fibre in the Spurs Miscreants. Which , to be candid, comes as no real surprise.What is surprising is that following at least a dozen slo-mo replays there was disagreement about both penalty decisions.

So how will VAR improve matters?

Let us look at both decisions.

Penalty 1. Kane is offside when the ball is played. It hits Lovren and thus Kane is adjudged onside (according to the TV referee Dermot Gallagher who has, at best, a loose knowledge of the game). Kane then sees the GK come towards him and dives, trailing his leg which brushes the GK’s arm. It is a clear dive. The man was falling before being minimally touched.

Much discussion followed. Penalty given.

Unknown-3.jpeg

Penalty 2. Lamela gets into front of Van Dijk. Backs into him as Van Dijk attempts to clear the ball and hits the deck mortally wounded. No way a penalty – it was another example of crafty cheating.

Yet … penalty given and despite replays many would agree that it was a penalty.

Unknown-4.jpeg

Would VAR have corrected either decision?

Alli got booked for an obvious dive earlier in the game, Lamela and Kane were simply better cheats.

We saw a similar act in our game vs Everton, when some no-mark got in front of the defender running at speed into the penalty area  -I think it was Calvert-Lewin – then halted abruptly causing the defender to run into him. The inevitable dive followed but the Everton miscreant was not booked, hence his cheating went unpunished.

Many say VAR would slow the game down whilst the decision is being made and that the fans would see less football. Given that the ball is in play for less than 45 of the 90 minutes, something could be done to correct this i.e. stop the clock when the ball is out of play at throw-ins, free-kicks and goal-kicks. It is an easy solution. What isn’t easy is finding a unbiased panel of referees to act as VAR officials.

In my opinion anything which stops a player cheating is beneficial, whether it is 100% accurate or not. There are players and managers who use diving and foul play as a tactic, VAR can help with this.

It is not perfect but IF, the replays are shown to the fans it can add to the excitement, as it has in rugby; unfortunately I doubt very much whether the replays will be shown to the attending fans. Which raises another point – VAR is for the home viewer, the billions who watch the PL around the world, not the tens of thousands who attend the game. And it is their dollar which counts.

Do you think VAR will make professional players stop cheating?

p.s. If you did not see the Anfield game, you will just have to take my  judgement as fact – after all, I am completely unbiased 😀 😀

100 Responses to Can VAR stop Spurs Cheating?

1. simon shannon says:

what a sad pathetic little man you are

2. keith green says:

You my friend are talking out of your rectum!!

3. Daniel says:

Utter nonsense. Dermot Gallagher summed it all up very well I thought. Your comments are feeble in context. Regards, Birmingham fan

Hohoho

Three in the net so far, top read BR.

Totally agree anything that lessens cheating is a good thing. VAR might slow the game down initially but when cheats start getting booked more often they will stop cheating.

5. Miki7878 says:

Arsenal scores two offside goals against Spurs. And Arsenal fans has something to say about Spurs game? Little bit shame of you

7. VP of Oz says:

I never new that the Spurs were such big cheats until I read this. Thank you BR, for such a neutral, well thought out and succinct article. It has convinced me.

Excellent, BR.

Gary Neville commentating on the first dive was actually saying ‘dive, dive, that’s a dive’ to begin with.
    Someone must have then nudged him to remind him it was an England player diving because he then suddenly started talking about offside or not.
    Finally in the slow-mo, he pointed out the Kane’s laces had brushed the keeper because Kane had left his boot there for that very purpose.
    Just look at that photo. Utter disgrace to football.

VAR won’t sort anything out unless that whole idea that the slightest contact means it’s OK to hit the deck as if you’ve been shot, is firmly put in the bin with the divers.

10. Chris Clarke says:

Of course you’re writing this to prompt people to go on to your site and make comments, me being one of them, so it is working. But you should sometimes try being a little bit honest because you are just a bit too obvious and we all know its a bunch of crap…. a bit like your Gooners.

It seems to me that teams who play in red are deluded, bias and always crying about referess …Klopp, Jose and the biggest winger of all Wenger !!

Keep writing shite, it just reminds all of us “Sports Fans” what knobs you all are. I can imagine some proper Gooner Fans even cringe at what you write !!

11. Sermon gallagher says:

13. Steve Price says:

If you want your article to be taken seriously then stop using petty insulting language. Lamela was clearly kneed in the lug after a kick in the calf – i’ve seen much less contact given before so that was a clear pen. Kane by the letter of the law was onside due to the contact by the Liverpool player – he tried to straddle the keeper and was touched in the air by the keeper which caused him to go down. Until the law id changed – any contact in the box and a pen is given these days. I would argue that Alli was unlucky to be booked as although he went down there was no appeal from him for a penalty or a foul at all- he fell over – it’s pretty harsh to start giving people bookings for falling over.

14. Juan Branesell says:

Pretty harsh to give people penalties just for falling over as well.

15. Peeky blinders says:

16. Joseph O'Gorman says:

17. Nobby Clarke says:

The point of the post is about VAR. Will it help?

Spurs fans, if you are looking for an unbiased viewpoint go to a non- AFC site, and whilst you are searching the net, see if you can find a pic of your trophy cabinet.

19. King Edward says:

Don’t believe the BBC News caption, this is sneak footage from Spurs’ new training facility in Enfield – this is Kane and Alli demonstrating synchronised diving.
    Not that such sophisticated techniques are necessary to deceive Jon Moss!

ha ha ha ha
    well done Raddy, you managed to rattle a few cages 🙂
    of course they were diving, stupid are those who are in denial.

It’s not spurs exclusive trick, all teams are trying. Think of our own ex player who likes dogs, bless him he had fallen once or twice too often.

There is no way of stopping divers, unless you do away with penalties altogether. It is like well worth a try, for the team of course. And the fans. Just look at today’s visitors to the blog – they fully, 100% approve what happened at Anfield yesterday. And I suspect I wouldn’t be crucifying our players if the same happened while we play. I am proud to say that Arsenal is one of most honest teams in EPL, but that costs us dearly. So perhaps a bit of cheating adds to the entertainment?

VAR = Virtual Artificial Referee.

22. Rajab says:

Typical deluded gooner talking absolute garbage. Eric Dier put the ball througfh to Salah for his first goal when he was in an offside position so if that’s not offside then the Kane one isnt. It would have been easier for Kane to stay on his feet and score but blinkered fans whose teams play in red spew out nonsense. Anyone with a brain could see that Spurs deserved at the very least a point and whatever your view on the first penalty – IT WAS SAVED so it dodnt affect the outcome. That Donkey Van Dirk is talking sh!t because he and Loveren failed to do their job, Klopp is a pillock who is just becoming another Wenger whinger. Grow up gooners,

23. Red Arnie says:

Brill, Raddy. 🙂 ha ha ha . enjoying this! how many dived into the net. yet? 🙂

24. patrick bates says:

How many of the tens of thousands of Liverpool fans will call Kane a diving cheat if he does the same in Russia this summer and the resulting spot-kick wins England the world cup?? Sanchez and Sterling were two of the most prolific divers in Premier League history and wore the red of Liverpool

Thank you for the post Raddy (I’ve disliked Spurs longer than any of you, so I fully endorse all the stick they get)

Cheating of any sort should be punished in football. VAR is still in it’s infancy and will never be 100% perfect – so for that reason the on field officials decision should only be over ruled if there is absolute evidence that the on field decision was incorrect.

American football has reviewed all touchdowns for years but in last night’s Super Bowl two “verified” touchdowns were of the iffy nature and are making today’s headlines.

26. Maris Piper says:

Suck it up, gooners.
    Back to Woolwich you go.

27. Quality Raddy. Totnumb must pay for there crimes to humanity.

If Totnumb fans think there so innocent I challenge them to a day in court? My Barrister is totally impartial and does not care about football, hes got a season ticket at Stoke.

When Gazza made those drinking gestures after beating us in the 91 semi I became an alcoholic. I lost my wife, job, and developed a fear of men with beer guts scoring from 30 yards.

Garth Crooks appearance put me of homosexuality, so I feel I lost out.

Steve Archibald replaced Diego Maradona at Barcelona? After this I lost touch with reality and spent a spell in an asylum were i believed Johan Cruyff was my father.

David Pleats stingy actions made ladies of the night wary of men wearing sheepskins, so I was forced to wear a Parker whilst doing it. I was also charged more.

Martin Chivers had the look of an evil TV child’s presenter. For this reason I never watched play school or Blue Peter, so indirectly Chivers made me a bit thick.

I have a fondness for old movies but my entertainment is spoiled for every time I watch a black & white film, I’m reminded of Totnumb. Whilst watching 12 Angry Men, I was convinced the Jurors were arguing whether Gerry Francis should be sacked.

The list is endless.

See you in court.

28. Red Arnie says:

By my book, in English football, Chavs are the undisputed champions of all forms of cheating. Diving included. I am glad they are receiving some competition from the Spurs. Excellent coaching from Poch, I would say.

VAR is but just a small distraction along the way. I have full faith in the EPL continuing to reward cheating handsomely.

Top work Raddy all true … and credit to you for smoking out so many of the trophyless … although the standard of spelling and prose on the site today has declined significantly.

Kane dived. Ali dived. The lino was a spud. The ref was a muppet.

I’m 100% for VAR. I think they could make it a bit more slick. The TV didn’t replay the Kane dive until long after the event. … it may have even have been in the post match analysis.

Retrospective punishment (and reversal of cards if applicable) should also be routine.

Is that pic of Poch above the one taken after he received the call from Real Madrid offering him promotion to a proper football club?

Nice one Raddy haven’t seen either of the incidents so cant comment on that, have skim read comments, found this interesting “Kane by the letter of the law was onside due to the contact by the Liverpool player” well the letter of the law defines the moment as when the ball is last played forward by your team, so if Kane was offside when pass was made, he remains offside regardless of whether a Liverpool player touched it when it was on the way through.

There was a similar incident in City Burnley game where Komoang stretched to head a ball away from player behind him resulting in a Burnley corner, the player was offside and had the flag gone up or Kompany left the ball alone there would have been no corner.

There will nearly always be contact when a tackle is made, it’s only a foul when the contact is such that your opponent is prevented from playing the ball by your contact. Ie your foot plays the man before the ball.

On VAR I think it needs to be sorted to something more fluid. This whole waiting for ball to go out of play is nonsense, if the red wants it looked at press a buzzer the man in the TV studio can make the decision while the game goes on just like the referees rely on linesman and fifty officials in Champions League and therefore decision can be corrected earlier. If VAR is used to take the game back to a moment in time by rights all that time should be added back on the clock (and it isn’t happening).

Example under current system it’s 0-0 in 89th minute and ref has signalled 3 minutes injury time, forward runs into box is tackled and appeals, ball doesn’t go out of play for three minutes and the ref signals VAR penalty awards and they score, time now on clock 92minutes and no extra time added…..doesn’t seem fair.

32. jjgsol says:

The reason why I stopped visiting, what I had regarded as a very good blog was the fact that so many of the posters thought it appropriate to insult other posters whose views I did not agree with.

Is it significant that so many posters supporting other clubs, including the other north London team, have all of a sudden arrived on this blog and have filled their posts with insults against the original article and subsequent posters?

I’ve always taken the view that when someone has an argument, he puts it forward, When does not, he insults the other party.

The question arises is, why, all of a sudden, have these people descended on this, obviously, pro-Arsenal blog?

Could it be that the consensus of opinion out there, including the media, is that Kane is a diver and that both penalties should not have been given?

How better would it be to try to counteract the tide of public opinion, by insulting the people who are part of public opinion?

I agree that the idea that a player is entitled to go down as soon as someone touches him is wrong and is something that has to be stamped out in our game.

In my view, the easiest way of seeing whether there is a dive or not is whether or not the player is already on his way down before there is contact. I did not see either of the 2 incidents yesterday but remember quite clearly Rooney’s dive in the famous 50th match, where he was well on his way down before he got anywhere near Campbell.

33. Harj SIngh says:

Of all the teams in all of the land, Arsenal are accusing others of cheating? Arsenal? This is the club who PAID to be promoted. They didn’t win promotion, they didn’t earn it. They paid to be promoted. Check your history books it’s all there in black and white, they don’t even have the decency or intelligence to hide their crime. Yes it was many moons ago but without cheating their way into the top division of English football, who knows what could have become of the Gooners. So before Arsenal fans start shouting at others for cheating, know that your club is the embodiment of such a thing, Arsenal FC is where it is today because it cheated to be there. Why bother playing 90 minutes trying to win a game of football when you can lose the game and just pay the FA to change the result in your favour. Do it the Arsenal way.

34. Charlotte says:

So what if Harry dived.

As Harry himself said, “He (Karius) has dived, he got in the way and I’m a player, I’m not going to jump out of the way because it’s football,”
    “I definitely felt contact and I went down.”

35. Red Arnie says:

ha ha ha ha ha. 🙂 contact with the inner soul, contact with God almighty, ….. 🙂

Harj Singh. That must be one of the funniest comments we have had in the many years of this blog.

Any chance you could become a regular?

Terry. 12.18. A superb history of THFC.

I was mentally scarred by the horrific face of Frank Saul and required decades of therapy following a meeting with Steve Perryman in Finchley High Street.

Sounds a bit like Harj Singh is admitting that Kane and Lamela cheated.

39. Red Arnie says:

of course, Chas, any self-respecting person would do that. even if they are Spuds

40. Desiree says:

I once had an intimate experience with Frank Saul out the back of The Corner Pin. He was very sweet, though I was pleased I wasn’t looking at his face.

41. Harj SIngh says:

Well done Big Raddy. My post is funny? So cheating is funny then? I notice you didn’t correct me or ridicule my comments on Arsenal’s history as being nonsense. Why’s that? Because it’s the truth. We can all debate whether Kane or Lamela dived, it’s called having an opinion. What is not opinion is fact, and Arsenal’s cheating is fact in history. So, again, how is that funny?

42. Red Arnie says:

Beens:

Kane praised Moss and assistant referee Ed Smart for their decisions.

“I thought the linesman showed amazing character to give [the second penalty] because a lot happened for the first one so to give that penalty was massive – and it was a penalty,” added the 24-year-old.

ha ha ha. 🙂

Harj, diving is cheating …. spending a few guineas to keep totnum in it’s place is just common sense.

In the here and now, you have 1 convicetd and habitual diver … Mr D Ali …. and one diver given special concessions due to his England connections. Trying to con the ref is cheating and that shower you support have a well earned reputation for it.

Harj

I would like to point out some meaningful facts –

Since you last won the FA Cup in 1991 (27 years ago) we have manged it on eight occasions – 1993, 1998, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2014, 2015 & 2017.

Since you last won the league championship in 1961 (57 years ago) we have won it on 5 occasions – 1971, 1989, 1991, 1998 & 2002.

Oh I almost forgot – we also did the double in 1998 & 2002.

No cheating there Harj just damn good football.

What have you done lately – other than practicing diving techniques.

Welcome to the site of winners………………

rasp is right. 1915 was not a matter of cheating, but of applying necessary adjustments to the league. Even then the Arsenal were recognized as far superior and classier club than Tottenham was, or ever will be for this matter, and a shift in table/divisions position was necessary to reflect the growing disparity between the 2 teams. that’s all.

Oh one other thing I forgot to mention, is apparently in Italy and Germany VAR has been having a positive affect on the game there are statistically less fouls and dives, I guess if you know it’s going to be overturned there and then you might as well not bother.

Could see an instant end to short pulling and holding in the 18 yard box.

Harj. Seriously it would be great if you regularly comment. Most of us on AA are deluded, some more than others, and you would feel completely at home.

Even if you reluctantly decide to blog elsewhere, it has been a genuine pleasure to read your revelations about events before any of us (even GN5) were born.

Desiree. Love your comment and the excellent pic. Thank you

Regulars would know that I always write a post to annoy Spuds in the week before the NLD. The resulting comments always gives us a good laugh 😀

50. Harj SIngh says:

Rasp and Gunner N5 – I do seem to remember UEFA banning Eduardo for 3 Champions League games after convicting him of diving (cheating) against Celtic. Or maybe that was a dream??? Imagine if Alli or Kane or Dier or Trippier or Rose or Winks dive to win England a penalty in the World Cup … will you vilify them? No, you’ll be cheering and raising a glass to their ‘gamesmanship.’The problem with most Arsenal fans is that they lack integrity. We can do it (cheat), but no-one else can.

Raddy @ 4:53 🙂

52. Harj SIngh says:

Big Raddy – I’m deluded??? Brilliant, thank you sir. Research cognitive dissonance and that’s where you’ll find most Arsenal fans. For the record then, no Arsenal player has dived to win a penalty, no Arsenal player has ever tried to con the ref or gain an advantage by cheating. Never, not in the history of Arsenal FC. And I’m the deluded one???? No doubt you believe in Father Christmas and the Easter bunny too … and don’t forget to put your tooth under your pillow tonight, the tooth fairy will bring you a shiny new pound coin. I enjoy debating with adults, people with a semblance of intellect and common sense but I can’t remonstrate with children so I won’t be returning to this site.

Sounds like Harj SIngh is admitting that Kane and Lamela dived again.

Harj … what part of “in the here and now” do you not understand?

We have a quaint tradition on here of addressing the topic of the post vis-à-vis … the use of technology to prevent diving cheats AKA totnum.

As regards Eduardo … he was cleared of diving on appeal … he was victim of an horrific leg break in Feb 2008 courtesy of another of your home grown heroes … the diving controversy (found not guilty) was in 2009 … Who can blame him for being cautious about incoming tackles following that career changing event?

Harj. Once again, thank you.

You have completely misunderstood the subject of the post,

The post is about refereeing and VAR. I could just as easily have picked any game but the fact was the game last night was a perfect illustration of how, despite many slo-mo views, there was no consensus about the decisions. Would VAR have helped?

If you want to read a post about how completely shite your team is, come back and read the NLD pre-match at the weekend.

You’re on form today Raddy 🙂 🙂 …. thanks for the entertainment

Harj,

Come back and chat with us on Saturday after the NLD.

58. Jersey Royal says:

This clears it all up I think.

Jersey Royal
    That was the first dive, not the second.

2017/18 Divers

Oriol Romeu Southampton
    Joe Allen Stoke City
    Dele Alli Tottenham Hotspur
    Abdoulaye Doucouré Watford
    Pablo Zabaleta West Ham United

61. Red Arnie says:

what wonderful fun today! who wud huv thunk so manu Spuds follow this space? ha ha ha.

brilliant, Raddy. 🙂

62. Red Arnie says:

did any spurs site link to the post? 🙂

GN5 Plus

Sanchez/Martial/Herrera ++ MU
    Hazard/Luiz/Moses/Morata(Willian Chelsea
    Sterling/Walker MC
    Kane/Alli/Lamela/Son/Llorente/Rose/Dembele/Trippier/ ++ Spurs
    Deeney/Richarlison Watford
    Rooney Everton

Arnie
    I’ve a confession to make – some of the spuds weren’t exactly real……..namely,
    King Edward
    Maris Piper
    Charlotte
    Desiree
    and Jersey Royal. 😁

Most of the others were, though, especially the ones who made absolutely no sense whatsoever and seemed affronted that Arsenal fans might take the piss out of their team’s diving. 😊

66. Red Arnie says:

ha ha ha Chas. some were obvious. great fun nevertheless. 🙂

looking good. come on Watford!

67. Red Arnie says:

and the juniors! 🙂

Well played Erik 🙂

Sorry not been around, but rather pleased in a way as I’d have spent most of the day crossing swords with Chas’ potatoes 🙂

Really enjoying watching the chavs implode. They lose 3 nil at home and now losing 3:1 to Watford …. bye bye Conte …. 4:1 now 😂

Superb work chas. I wondered …

Conte will be gone by Monday

Haha, your reaction to the Desiree comment about Frank Saul made me sure I’d been rumbled. 😊

Thanks for a fun day all round.

75. dauphinoise says:

Come in Agent Pantaloons, Come in Agent Pantaloons.
    Your part in mission Remove the Weave highly successful so far, Over.

76. anya says:

the potatos comments were an obvious spoof. They were the only grammatically correct posts coming from N15, or the sticks up north.

Just glorious.
    How on Earth could anyone think it was sensible to have such a narcissist in charge of a game of football?

Just beautiful

6.12 😀

7.17. I miss our old logo. It was proper.

Great days blogging yesterday. I guess that Newsnow put the post onto a Spurs feed due to the title. It wasn’t intentional.

@7:20 – wonderful

Fabulous pics ‘n vids
    Thanks Chas
    Motning all
    Chavs ROLF LAMOW

Any pics of Ollie on the chav bench last night giggling?

Not so happy once he came on.

The 7.20 gets the award for sweetest vid of all time, well just after Mesuts goal against Ludogrets of course.

90. Red Arnie says:

motning all. 🙂

warm glow from the Chav disintegration and the angry Spud fun. 🙂

Yes, 7:20 is very sweet.

The other 7:20. what amazing anticipation in placing the camera at the right place! 🙂

91. Red Arnie says:

I feel sad for Giro

NEW POST (of sorts)

93. Harj SIngh says:

Good morning Goners, I mean Gooners. Last Thursday quite a few of you on here insisted that I come back onto this blog after the North London Derby. So here I am??????? Tut tut, how embarrassing, fancy a small, cheating little piddly team like Spurs beating the mighty untouchable Arsenal. I don’t understand football, I mean you had a strike force that cost over £100-million on the pitch at the end, yet couldn’t score a single solitary goal?? Funny old game hey #LOSERS #INWENGERDOTRUST