Toffees Trampled in North London – Player Ratings

How one feels about some event tends to say more about the individual doing the feeling than it does about the event itself.

Of course I am talking about one isolated game of football, and for me, the fluctuations in my range of feelings begin with anticipation, the team sheet, and finally the performance. The bigger picture stuff is completely forgotten about in the moment. It can wait.

The anticipation of this particular isolated event was naturally bolstered as it came on the back of a storming transfer window which brought the promise of a refreshing new era.

I don’t suppose anyone believed our new star, PEA, would be making the XI, but that is what happened. If you did not experience a surge of tingles shortly after the team was announced just after 4:30, then hope fades for you. Auba was starting, and better still, being re-united with the man with whom he shared such a devastating partnership in their heyday at Dortmund, Mikki.

The game was pure joy from start to finish, and with the exception of LB, we all saw it (I hope our own cyclist has access to internet replays). Stars shone and stars were born, but most importantly there was the old Arsenal swagger back in sharp focus. Confidence oozed and smiles on players faces returned, replacing the furrowed brows of our recent visit to Wales.

Now that the dust has settled, and the sun rises over a new era, we get to do the bigger picture stuff. Well, to be more precise, you lot do.

I think  Eddie has already perfectly captured the new mood regarding the big picture when she said earlier: “the best aspect of yesterday’s display is our imminent trip to Wembley. Instead of being scared I am actually looking forward to watching some spuds being mashed.”

On a personal note, I never believed for one second we’d actually sign Auba. Damn it’s good to be wrong.

Ratings

Cech/Ospina – Where Did Our Love Go – It’s so much more fun being in the crowd when David is taking goal kicks ….8/8

Monreal/Kolasinac – Ain’t No Mountain High Enough – Nacho is important to the team – as the Beast proved in the second half…9/8

Mustafi – Uptight (Everything’s Alright) – Committed, positive and forthright ….8

Koscielny – Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me) –  Stooping header to finish off his centre back partner’s flick on – Bould and Adams?  ….8

Bellerin – Living For the City – Loved going forward, knowing he might actually receive the ball  ….8

Xhaka – Ball of Confusion (That’s What the World Is Today) – Much better from Granit – Fat Sam not playing any strikers until the second half helped ….8

Ramsey – Three Times a Lady –  Bang, bang, bang – enjoyed himself immensely – as did we all ….9

Mkhitaryan – Reach Out, I’ll Be There – Micki loves creating goals, works hard for the team and hits early pinpoint balls across the box – what’s not to love? ….9

Iwobi  – You Can’t Hurry Love – Didn’t look out of place playing in such esteemed company  ….8

Ozil – Let’s Get It On – Loves playing with his new teammates ….9

Aubameyang – Dancing In The Street – Majestic finish to equal Stevie Bould’s achievement of scoring on his debut ….8

Written by MickyDidIt89

(except the ratings)

83 Responses to Toffees Trampled in North London – Player Ratings

1. Mother of peaches says:

Amazing what a few Million can do to revive everyone, team and supporters too. Smiles all round, the sparkle is back.

Cheers, Micky.
    You’ve perfectly captured that feeling – ‘Auba’s playing -yippee’.

I had a lovely day out full of excitement, laughter and unadulterated joy.

Lovely read.

It was a sparkling performance and we must doff the cap to Fat Sam whose tactics allowed us to regain confidence in just 20 minutes.

10 goals against Everton this season – they are lucky it was just 10.

Deep Joy

doff the cap to Fat Sam 🙂

Chas

Love the ratings style. Thanks

Lads

I will be banging on in the days, weeks and months ahead about the Auba Mikki partnership and understanding.

Let’s begin with Chas clip at 9:54 with the caption “Mkhitarya​n finds Ramse​y”

Watch the vid, and the pass of the move was from Auba to Miki

13. Blimey my mum gets to blog more than me!!!!!!!

It was fabulous …….. can’t say more at the mo, needed for grandma duties …….. back later xx

Peaches. Given the amount of time you put into being a grandma it seems to me that it is pleasure not duty

Great work Micky …. and a suitable eulogy to herald what we hope will be a new era.

Your namesake actually covered more ground than the tireless hattrick hero … and all of a sudden, Ozil has a choice of three or four gifted teammates to play football with.

I don’t think Sanchez was a team player, his exuberance looked good in isolation, but he didn’t draw others into the game the way Miki and Ozil do …. and now we’ve got a player who looks up and delivers a pinpoint cross. We didn’t need to worry about where the goals are coming from without Alexis … let’s hope yesterday’s performance is just the start of a much more cohesive attacking threat.

Credit has to go to Arsene for yesterday’s performance too …. it is clear that to play Wengerball, he has to have players with the technical skills, we have that in abundance now.

We’ve all heard the old analogy between football and the piano … it takes 8 men to carry it and 3 to play it …. well we’ve got 4 or 5 who can play it now, and if they’re all playing the same tune, the music is wonderful!

16. fatgingergooner says:

A couple of things really excited me about yesterday’s performance. Firstly, all the goals and chances created from open play had something in common, Özil was behind the ball. He was coming deep into midfield (not worrying about Sanchez coming deep and cramping his space), which allowed Ramsey, Mkhi and Iwobi to make runs beyond him into the gaps. It caused a massive headache for the Everton HM players as they didn’t know wether to follow him, or stay put and pick up runners. Özil is at his best right now and he must love having space in midfield and being able to choose from a group of runners who are on his wavelength (Auba chance running in behind). I thought he and Mkhitaryan dove-tailed beautifully yesterday, and Özil now knows that he can feed Mkhi into those lines between attack and defence in the knowledge that the Armenian is good enough to pick a pass that Özil would do himself (see Auba’s goal).

The second thing I enjoyed was Mkhi’s movement and the intelligence of his runs. For so long now we’ve had to put up with Walcott either running in behind or coming short and passing it back to where the ball came from, with no idea of how to build an attack and go past defenders. On the other side we’ve had Sanchez coming deep into Özil’s space, or not being in the wide attacking position when we’ve needed him because he’s been too busy trying do everyone else’s role. What we saw from Mkhi yesterday though was a masterclass. He started out on the right hand side but he spent large parts of the game in other areas (see Auba’s goal). However, the key thing was that whenever he needed to be in that right wing position, he was there (see his position on all 3 of Ramsey’s goals). It isn’t coincidence that he was in exactly the right place to assist 3 of the goals.

It’s so good to finally see an attacking line up that is full of attacking intelligence and knows what the team is trying to achieve and how to do it. Özil is the leader and he now has a second in command in Mkhi who he can trust to do the right things. Its now up to the others to get on the end of their work and I think the likes of Ramsey, Auba, and Lacazette will thrive in this environment. Hopefully the extra attacking by quality and ability to keep the ball will take a bit of pressure off our defence and give us the balance we need.

17. andy bishop says:

Sanchez has many good qualities, being a team player does not seem to be one of them. Pointing to where he thought his new team mates should be against Tottenham will soon piss them off. The two new boys highlighted for me what we have been missing the last few years. Footballers up front, not converted sprinters and a centre forward who lacks pace and control, however strong and a good a header he was does not make up for the deficiencies Wenger must have felt in the way he wants the team to play. Ozil, Ramsey and Wilshire will flourish now they have someone they can release and have the confidence they will get the ball back when needed. Optimistic..yes. Defences away from home ?

18. fatgingergooner says:

A big game against Spurs next week and one we need a positive result from. This team need time to gel and it badly needs a run of good results so that the environment is positive and they don’t have the backdrop of ‘Wenger Out’ to contend with. I don’t really care if we get top 4 or not this season, but a run to the EL final and a piece of silverware at the end of the season would really help this new team bond and bring out their potential.

19. fatgingergooner says:

If you want to see movement and the appreciation of movement then just watch that first goal again.Mkhi runs across into the right hand channel, Auba sees the run and comes to feet, Özil plays the perfect pass into feet which Auba then flicks round to the run of Mkhi, and finally Ramsey goes into the space behind created by Mkhi’s run across and Auba coming to feet to tap it in. It’s a fantastic goal. Everton may aswell not have been there it was that good and that precise.

Thanks Micky and ratings guy. It was a marvelous performance highlighting what we are capable of and I was delighted with it. I will be even more delighted if this becomes the norm, or at least for the majority of the time bar the odd game. You can’t expect this 100% of the time.

What was different about this in comparison to some of our more recent lackluster performances? In reality the line up was identical to any number of ones we have set up with in the last couple of seasons, and really the only direct changes are Miki in place of Sanchez and Aube in place of which ever other number 9 has been playing in the last 2 years or so.

Are these 2 a massive upgrade on who they have replaced? Could be. Is Miki a massive improvement on Sanchez? I think (and hope) that Rasp has it right that Miki is more a team player than Sanchez the maverick, and that he compliments the rest of the team better to provide a more fluid team performance, rather than just an individual one to one basis comparison of the 2 players.

It may be that Miki has solved one of our issues in that he is a better link up player for the striker, so the striker is not as isolated as Lacazette has been in many games this season. He could be the little pocket link player that just binds the Ozils and Ramseys and the striker more together rather than having that gap and slight missing link up area.

Anyway I was delighted with what I saw yesterday.

21. I’ll be the first to give some credit to Iwobi.
    His best performance ever for us, probably.

Sorry Fred.

22. forgot.
    Thanks MickyDidIt89. Very soulful.

23. VP of Oz says:

Didit quality post, I feel it…

I listen to the little boy within – and he screamed Arsenal

Sorry I really just want to leave the positives out there today, but I just have to unfortunately acknowledge some of the references that ridicule my pre-match comment, and the obvious impression among many that I am a permanent miserable git that can see no joy in my support of Arsenal.

Well just to bust that myth I was sitting and shouting and smiling and cheering as much as anyone. Alright I stuck my head above the parapet with a strong opinion and if many feel it is laughable and that I now have egg all over my face then so be it. Ridicule away to your hearts content 🙂

I will be more than happy if we have now found the perfect blend to move onward and upwards with and if it is different from my recent stated preferences then I really don’t care. My ego is not that big. I am more concerned with Arsenal’s success than any personal vindication.

The thing is I really don’t want to be a blogger that hides and doesn’t state their position because for me that is too easy and I feel a key part of football blogging is in stating what you feel. I can see that it is maybe easier just to toe the line of the majority, and that one is likely viewed as a better supporter and blogger if they don’t state more critical opinions. Far easier I suppose to just state we were brilliant or we were shite and just leave it at that

Sorry to bring it up on what should remain a massively positive day, but I didn’t want people thinking I was being hypocritical and conveniently ignoring what I had said, and that I just changed my tune with a change of the wind.

I am always delighted with a performance and win like that but try and form my opinions based on a bigger picture (i.e a longer period of time and games) rather than just chop and change from one game to the next. More games will tell us if we have nailed the formation now, but that is for other days, and today is one to be happy about and anticipate with excitement what this might mean for the future.

25. VP of Oz says:

GB, I got as far as sorry… and then I listen to the little boy within – and he screamed Arsenal

Thanks for the post Micky, and the ratings Raddy or Chas?

GB, your comments are among the best on AA and being right or wrong is immaterial. Take me – rightly or wrongly I’ve always stood up for Wenger and I’ve taken my fair share of stick – but I don’t give a damn.

The poor man has been blamed for everything from our injuries to being a tight arse and missing big signings because he wouldn’t pay the asking price. All based on individual opinions and without any real knowledge of the facts.

Stick to being you – strong opinions enhance blogging.

On football – early signs are both positive and exciting. – Regardless of Everton making it far too easy.

BBC pundit Alan Shearer on Match of the Day:

Arsenal were brilliant and they could have scored six or seven goals.

Ollie on his move west :

“When he (PEA) signed, that made three central strikers and that is why I decided to leave.

It was logical to give my career a new direction. There was a bit of disappointment even if I spent five magnificent years there.

I could have stayed but I needed a back-up plan. I wanted to stay in the Premier League and Chelsea was a great opportunity for me.”

29. fred1266 says:

U forgot to rate Walcott micky

fred 🙂 🙂 feo didn’t disappoint

Lovely boy, Theo.

yes raddy, completely devoid of a killer instinct necessary for a striker

1 nil to pool already

I actually did get to see the game albeit in a bar squeezed in the corner surrounded by French and Irish watching the rugby.
    I really enjoyed Slim’s 11.55 and i second Big Al’s view that Iwobi had a surprisingly good game.
    And of course thanks for the read Micky and Chas

Liverpool been awful this half. Ox lets Wanyama go and the man hits a screamer.

Perhaps a draw suits us

Dreadful refereeing at Anfield gives Spurs a penalty. Kane offside by at least 7 kilometres and then dives. Moss gives a penalty 😦

Moss should be demoted.

5 minutes later he doesn’t give a clear penalty but the linesman over-rules him. Kane scores.

Brilliant end to a good game

strange game, but they both dropped points, good for us

40. fatgingergooner says:

Wow! Crazy game. Good result for us though.

Spurs have played a tough game there, play Weds, and its early Saturday kick off against us, so could be a fatigue factor that kicks in. If we can beat them next week then we are back in the race for top 4.

of course we can beat them, did before

how is cech? any news?

From Football365.

Everton’s visit represented the first time all season that Wenger has been able to play his first-choice central defensive partnership for more than three games in successon. Indeed, this was the fourth consecutive game that they were flanked by Hector Bellerin and Nacho Monreal.

Mustafi and Koscielny have lined up together in less than a third of Arsenal’s 38 games so far this term. During those 12 matches, Arsenal conceded an average of 0.91 goals per game, compared to 1.26 in the other 26 matches. With the pair, Arsenal have a win ratio of 67 per cent. Without one or both, that ratio drops by 25 per cent. Quite simply, when Wenger can pick Mustafi and Koscielny together, Arsenal concede fewer goals and subsequently win more games.

43. Aaron says:

Will remind everyone, when Arsene can play the same back four 15 games in a row, judge him, until then he only can play with the handbrake on.

44. oz gunner says:

I hate both liverpool and Totts but that game is all that is wrong with the game. Kane was offside and then goes down under a feather touch (brings back nightmares of rooney doing it to us). That last goal…terrible. The fact they can review this shit and still let it stand makes me develop RSI in my neck from shaking my damn head. The penalty decisions over the last few months have been pathetic.

45. Red Arnie says:

wow, what a fantastic match report, Micky. 🙂 thank you.

warm glow. 🙂

and yes, I did notice the egg yolk splash, Gooner B. 🙂

46. Red Arnie says:

likewise for me, really, I wished the sin bin for Mustafi and Cech.

the bad news is that – the clean sheet voodoo is still open. dear oh dear

The sun still shines over The Ems this morning, clouds or not 🙂

Regarding comments about Pool game, diving, cheating or off-side, it was the right result for us, so kind of who cares?

Is he one of those adrenalin junky mice sorts? Fine pic whatever he is

I was thinking of a mini post on the spuds diving and cheating to win penalties.
    Alli dived got booked. Kane dived, won a pen, Lamela dived, won a pen.
    But as we got the best result and no-one cares, why bother? 🙂

Back to fluffy goats and fluffy dogs.

7.03. Where are Health and Safety?

I will write a quickie.

Kids a loonie. Where are his parents? This is another example of lax 21st century parenting

Chas

I’d always appreciate any effort anyone takes in penning a post, but one dedicated to anything spursy would be tricky to stomach 🙂

Anyway, why bother when your fluffy shit is of such a high quality 🙂

And…ahoy Red Erik

Micky
    Completely agree about anything to do with the spuds being difficult to stomach.
    I’m just warming up my dislike for next weekend.

are you going to wemberly?

did any of you watch Eagles celebrating historic victory over Patriots (in america of course)? Gosh, they had a disco on the pitch, I hope we will never have anything as ridiculous as that at the Ems.

scum were the better team for most of the game, they deserved a point. They had to do what they had to do

We only have a few months of this left, summer time Poch will go to madrid and they will disintegrate again

I even struggle to enjoy a goal of this quality.

it was a brilliant goal ,Wanayama was on the pitch for less than 3 mins when he scored.
    I think you can hate spurs when they are playing us, on other occassions give them some slack

bloody brexit is going to seriously mess up my life.
    I am off to poland and cannot fing my passport, as usual.
    But it’s ok, I can travel on my polish ID card. Not for long though. Brexit come and i will be screwed good and proper

and another subject not football related is BitCoin. How is that going micky? Do you still think it’s price will reach £100k?

The spuds should never be given any slack, ever.
    If you do give them some slack, then you are not proper Arsenal.

ok, I am not proper Arsenal.

Tough. I have written a post with loads of Spursy stuff.

How can you lose your passport at home?

raddy 🙂
    are you not proper arsenal too?

At least Eddie doesn’t house the knuckle draggers!

raddy, i can lose glasses from my pocket, no problem.
    i don’t know if I lost it at home or on the way back from the last trip.
    Poland is ok, I can use my ID, but I am going to Singapore in March, it could be tricky

raddy – everybody else on my street does. White mini buses full of little spuds travel in front of me every day, smiling when they see my reg. I hope they will bloody stop smiling next week

Eddie. It will definitely be tricky. Apply now, because it takes a few weeks to get a new p/p and SIngapore is a country which takes rules and regulations very seriously (great place to visit).
    You will see from the title of the post whether I am Proper Arsenal!

raddy – who am I to judge? I am apparently not a proper Gunner 😦

76. Red Arnie says:

motning all. 🙂 great batner.

Spud bashing is best Gooner bahaviour. No? or, as Chas would put it, Yes? 🙂

77. Red Arnie says:

Spurs diving is normal behaviour, Poch is apparently quite good at teaching that.

But when Giro is forced to dive at the Chavs, it will be a sad day.

Eddie

Bit busy, so may have missed you, re your Bitcoin question

Simple answer, yes, at least, however it’s perfectly possible the top coin won’t be bitcoin but something else

Think Dotcom bubble. In the early days there were market leaders, but out of the bubble emerged some of the US’s biggest companies, such as Gggogle, Amazon, Facebook and so on.

Crypto is in it’s infancy. To use an analogy, it’s still at dial-up speed.

One sure thing, the blockchain technology is here to stay

79. Red Arnie says:

Raddy, Episodes 1 and 2 done. Fantastic stuff. 🙂

5 downloaded, 3 of these to go yet, and then there will be wait for the remaining episodes to come online

micky – thanks, but I doubt it. The banks have too much to lose to allow it, they will suppress cryptos to protect their interests, I think.

Dotcom was engineered scum, big techno companies would emerge without it.

There is a New Post (a little late I know and full of Spurs 😦 )