Arsenal Top Seasons – 1934/35 our 8th Best

The previous season had seen the Gunners win the league for the second successive time despite the untimely death of the great Herbert Chapman in January 1934. The Club appointed the club’s press officer, George Allison, as Chapman’s successor. In some ways, Allison moved from publicity expert to Club figurehead rather than manager itself and he wisely chose to use the existing coaching and playing resources to their fullest potential.

Although not officially in charge until the start of the 1934/35 season, George Allison had already procured Ted Drake from Southampton in March 1934 for £6,500. (Chapman had tried to lure Drake from The Saints two seasons earlier).

The signing of Drake was key to Arsenal’s success in the 34/5 season, with the tough, skilful centre forward scoring 42 goals in 41 games including 3 hat-tricks and four 4-goal hauls.

Arsenal began the season rampant at home but struggling a little on our travels. It wasn’t until late November (at Chelsea) that the team secured our first away victory, though managed to end the campaign with the league’s best travelling record.

Sunderland and Manchester City made the early season running with the Wearsiders inflicting Arsenal’s second defeat of the season in October, proving to be The Gunners main Championship rivals.  By Christmas, the North-East side were top of the table with Arsenal in third position, albeit only a point behind.

The Club made some personnel changes in mid-season to bolster and reinvigorate our title bid. In January 1935, Taffy Rogers arrived from Wrexham, a few weeks later, Bobby Davidson joined from St. Johnstone, and in March, Alf Kirchen was signed from Norwich City. All would make a contribution in the run-in.

When Arsenal and Sunderland met at Highbury on March 9 1935, a crowd of 73,295 (the record Highbury attendance) saw a tight 0-0 stalemate. Arsenal remained on top by two points, but with both Sunderland and Manchester City snapping at their heels.

The next game in the League was away at Everton on March 16th and aside from the 8,7 and 6 nil thumpings, proved to be a remarkable match indeed. Frank Moss, the Arsenal keeper was injured after half an hour and had to be replaced by Eddie Hapgood in goal. He left the field of play and received treatment in the dressing room from Tom Whittaker. Ted Drake scored with a long range pile-driver just six minutes after Moss had left the field and Arsenal went in one up at the break.

In front of an astonished Goodison crowd, Moss came out on to the pitch at the start of the second half wearing a red outfield player’s shirt and took his place on the left wing with an injured arm strapped to his side. At that time there were no substitutes allowed in English football, not even for severely injured players.

Who knows how much persuasion was required for him to allow the title-chasing Arsenal side to take the field with their full complement of 11 players?

Arsenal’s makeshift defence held firm with Hapgood making a number of decent saves. Then bizarrely, Frank Moss, showing a touch of the Jesse Owenses, latched onto a pass from Ted Drake and buried the ball into the Everton net in the 70th minute. Reportedly, even the Toffees’ fans applauded his goal as he was mobbed by his excited team mates. Shortly after the goal, he left the field in agony as the injury flared up again (perhaps Herbie Roberts threw him over his shoulder in the goal celebration!). He was taken to hospital after the game to reset what turned out to be a double dislocation of the shoulder. The match ball signed by both sets of players was possibly scant consolation for what, in the long run, was to be a career-threatening injury.

Frank Moss and family

With five games to go, Arsenal demolished Middlesbrough 8-0 (including another four by Ted Drake) to lead the First Division by three points. Four days later the Gunners played the same opposition away from home, this time winning by a single goal (Drake again the match-winner), opening up a five point gap with two games remaining and thus securing the title.

The Highbury faithful were treated to a magnificent 74 goals in the 21 home games of the 1934/5 season while conceding only 17 (even Micky would have been happy to attend!).  To put the cherry quite firmly on top of the cake, Tottenham Hotspur were relegated, bottom of the table.

94 Responses to Arsenal Top Seasons – 1934/35 our 8th Best

1. Zee says:

Micky,

I think you need support for your bright an breeze approach to things, so with regard to your idea of infusing people with your vision, I wrote a comment that missed the NEW POST call, so here it is – copied and pasted – just for you, oh windy breezy one. 🙂

— Morning Micky. 🙂

I am all for you producing a roadmap of Arsene’s Big Plan for rebuilding the team over the next 5 years.

It will, knowing you, obviously keep to all the standard project guidelines setting out its conception / initiation points, the planning, execution, key monitoring requirements and the project milestones in a Gant Chart – [and where the money is going to come from].

Go for it !!! 😀

2. Zee says:

The immaculately compiled Post must be one of GN5’s masterpieces, and is a brilliant read, as usual.

Well done GN5 for giving us another glimpse into the the Arsenal’s wonderful history — and thank you.

RIP Cyrille Regis — a wonderful footballer and a very respected and decent man.

The money is coming from Bitcoin.

Big Weng now gets his 8 Mill a year paid exclusively in crypto currencies after receiving an anonymous tip off from Devon that maybe a Russian, Middle Eastern or Chinese billionaire may not be necessary.

we’d better spend the bitcoins soon, before we only have chamakh’s worth of money

great post, thanks anonymous author, who i suspect is a Canada based.

I want arsenal to be great again!!!!! fed up being laughed at

oh? comment disappeared

no, no, no, all well, me silly.

micky – of course we can buy players willy nilly only because they have good haircut. We’ve done that for many years now! Not one decent striker since TH14 and van Judas.

Not sure exactly what this means but know it has very little to do with with football.

RickyGee‏

Explained: PL restrict total wage increase to £7m pa year on year so if for example we increased Alexis & Ozil to £280k pw, we’d go well beyond that (more than double). This is ok if you can justify it through increased com deals, matchday rev &/or player sales.

Our income would’ve gone down, with less matchday rev from cheaper tix & lower attendances, our com deals won’t increase from last year & we’ve also lost money dropping out of CL. So ultimately we’re reliant on selling players to allow us to spend despite being fairly cash rich.

We played safe by staying cash rich instead of investing big in players. The rule changes mean cash in the bank is worthless now whilst player values are going through the roof & our 2 most valuable assets are out of contract.

So we could afford to buy who we want but couldn’t add the wages to the bill without significant sales whilst Our competition can show the revenue increases to add 2 or 3 superstars in one window & we can’t extend with the ones we have.

Need to announce some big commercial deals in the next year or so & being back in the CL asap is absolutely vital.

…but you can ignore all this & blame Wenger for everything if you like 😉

It’s a real shame that so many will chose to remember arguably our greatest ever manager for taking ‘their Arsenal’ from them rather than accepting that whole face of football has changed.

It’s not Arsene & Arsenal they’ve fallen out of love with, it’s the joy of football & in some cases it seems, any joy in anything.

that was very good indeed 🙂
    not much in terms of opposition, but hey, the lad did well.

Will AW try him with the first squad? Cannot see why not, he has to be better than the impotent lot that we have now

RickyGee – as much as I agree about the financial constraints imposed by the FA I think you are barking mad saying that we had fallen out of love with football. I fooking loved, absolutely loved pool v City on Sunday. Never mind that sheikh what’s-his-name paid for the team, the team is awesome and sheer joy to watch.

We, on the other hand have money in the bank. Fucking great.

this better not be true:

“Aubameyang to Arsenal in huge £35m plus Olivier Giroud deal”

if they sell Ollie rather than Walcott and Iwobi, I am out

What a great post, our goal keeper came on in the second half and played as an outfield player with a sling on his arm. And if you don’t notice anything else that league table with spuds at the bottom always looks good.

Hope everything is ok over there, not still snowed in without tonternet

14. chas mobile says:

15. chas mobile says:

16. chas mobile says:

what are you trying to say C?

18. 1979Gunner says:

The anti Arsenal media are having a field day with what’s going on at Arsenal at present. The Sanchez saga will be followed by the Ozil saga and It’ll be a case of every single coming and going scrutinised to death.

Personally, I can’t wait to see the back of Sanchez. The fact he’s priced himself out of a move to Man City shows the romantic notion that it was all about reuniting with Pep as complete bolox. It’s all about money. And we’re expected to take Mkataryian?? No thanks.

On a brighter note, great we’re getting £20m for the most over rated, over paid player in Arsenal history in Walcott. This and getting £12m for Coquelin is great business.

Problem is, how are we to attract players when it’s pretty obvious AW will be gone by the end of the season.

19. Red Arnie says:

Lovely memories, GN5. Thanks a lot. 🙂

Now, that was some January TW! So, now, M. Venga! Find Taffy Rogers from Wrexham, Bobby Davidson from St. Johnstone, and Alf Kirchen from Norwich City. Otherwis, OUT! 🙂

I have no idea how GN5 can remember all those things, I cannot remember last time we won the league, when was it again?

One of your finest GN5, thank you

Poor Moss. After a sterling performance he get’s Steve Morrow’d by his team mates

Great story which I’d never heard

Also, like the bit about George Allison moving so effortlessly from press officer to manager. Keep telling you there’s nothing to this manager thing

Eddie Eddie

I always thought Ollie would want out to get playing time ahead of the World Cup. Actually, I’d respect that as it’d show he was not happy sitting at home picking up the fat weekly envelope.

Ollie doesn’t strike me as someone who wants to play the second fiddle. He is a proud man, I think.

I hope he stays and continues being our power sub, but if he goes I will wish him the very best.

yeah, it was a great story. I read a bit more about Moss, poor bastard had to retire at 27 becauese of the shoulder injury, managed Hearts rather well and died at 60. Sad

Micky. You are right. I could manage AFC for a season and do it for a third of what they pay AW. And I am younger than him so have long-term potential if I succeed.

Given the right backroom staff, I know I could do a decent job. Pick the right team, buy better players for more money. Go back to 4-2-4 and show the modern chaps what proper football looks like.

26. fatgingergooner says:

I don’t understand this hatred of Arsene Wenger.

Anyone who calls Mike Dean a cheat and a disgrace to his little bald face is a legend in my eyes. Should be knighted for that.

27. fatgingergooner says:

If Walcotts medical involves going in front of a doctor then he will fail.

He only knows how to go in behind…… 🙄

Sorry.

28. fatgingergooner says:

If Walcotts medical involves a football then he will fail…..

…..because he’s shit.

I’ll stop now.

29. fatgingergooner says:

£32 million for Walcott and Coquelin, £15m for Sanchez + Mkhitaryan. Spend £53m on Aubameyang.

That’s £6m spent and we end up with Mkhitaryan and Aubameyang and we get rid of 2 squad players and a tosser.

Good deal?

and we get rid of 2 squad players and a tosser ha ha ha

Although Mickytarian has been rubbish at Utd, he was dynamite alongside Auba at Dortmund

fatie 🙂 very good 🙂

I don’t mind Raddy managing the club, why not?

he is Armenian ffs, have you ever heard of a decent footballer from Armenia?? No. Nor have I.

Plus, have red mancs EVER sold a good player to us? No. They haven’t. Leopards don’t change their spots

33. fatgingergooner says:

He was amazing at Dortmund. I would say he’s been mis-managed at United. He was fantastic at the beginning of this season if I remember and then suddenly Mourinho called him out in public, I’m assuming to get better performances, and it back fired.

Apparently if we do get him it’s a straight swap, so would cost us more like £20m for the deals, but that’s still positive business out of a very negative situation.

I do worry that PEA has only been lined up in case Sanchez goes to Chelsea or City with no swap deals. However, if Walcott leaves aswell then I suppose we should get 2 bodies as replacement.

I really hope Sanchez leaves this month as the club needs to move on quickly. I don’t want this rubbish right up until the summer.

34. fatgingergooner says:

Eddie,

Cher and Kim Kardashian have Armenian roots. I imagine they are 2 of your favourite celebs.

OMG, what the hell do you take me for?? Kim Kardashian?? Cher, ok, she had some good man-hating songs, but the other one?! I don’t do celebs, they make me sick. I feel dirty now

See, if the best you can do is cher and the Kardashian bird, he is useless.

Andre Aggassi and Charles Aznavour, that’s better

and Gary Kasparov and Zeldijan family the largest producer of cymbals

7:22 looks like a horse with a woman’s head, what are they called those half human half horse freaks?

39. fatgingergooner says:

7.22pm Eddie, do you have this picture on your wall?

40. fatgingergooner says:

Or this…

fattie what is the matter with you tonight??!! Bad hair day?

Why the fuck would I follow kardashians or have photos of naked women on the wall?! I feel like defenestrating myself, honestly

ARSENAL have reached an agreement with Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang over personal terms

BTW how can a season when we won the tile scoring 74 goals at home and Spurs get relegated be only our 8th best?

44. fatgingergooner says:

I’m just excited that we could be on the verge of signing a PEA!

I look forward to 3 years of amazing goals before he decides that he should be earning an extra £30 a year and he holds Wenger hostage in his cellar with only Mike Dean for company until the club agrees to his ludicrous demands.

45. fatgingergooner says:

Eddie,

Don’t believe everything you read. The people saying that PEA has agreed personal terms are the same people telling us that Kim Kardashian has a 12 inch waist and a 78 inch arse.

And we beat them 11-1 on aggregate.
    5-1 at home (disgraceful letting a goal in) and
    6-0 at SHL
    🙂

Arsenal 5-1 Tottenham Hotspur and Tottenham Hotspur 0-6 Arsenal (First Division, 1934-35)

Never have Arsenal fans enjoyed such gleeful domination over Spurs as in the 1934-35 season. It was a campaign in which Arsenal recorded their biggest ever home and away wins over their arch-rivals and finished at the head of the table while Spurs finished at its foot.

In October, Arsenal routed Spurs 5-1 at home. “Well before half-time at Highbury, on Saturday, Arsenal fans were gloating over a ‘killing’,” journalist Arthur Simmons wrote in the Express. “They bawled ‘Cock Robin’ for all they were worth. The smaller battalions of Tottenham supporters, watching the game slipping away, had no adequate retort to this barrage of rough music. I heard ‘raspberries’, but they had no flavour.”

The return at White Hart Lane in March was to prove even more severe for Tottenham. Without a league win in 1935, they had been forced to adopt a new strategy, but it brought only more misery as they went down to a 6-0 defeat, with Arsenal debutant Alf Kirchen netting a brace.

“Somebody at Tottenham had a bright idea yesterday,” the Express report began. “They thought it all out and came to the conclusion that there was one way to stop Arsenal winning. ‘We’ll play the offside game,’ they said, and it was so. Take another look at the score and see what their plan did for them. Imagine any side trying to work an old gag like that on one of the best forward lines in the game! It was just asking for trouble … and, gosh – it brought it! Spurs kept on with their ‘How’s-that-man?’ until they made the 48,000 crowd dizzy. And it was too utterly futile for words. It had the spectators jeering … the only thing it didn’t do was stop Arsenal scoring.”

Fantastic GN5

Frank Moss? No wonder the Gerry’s got battered in the war? If that was Franz Mossteiner he would only have come out to play if he was ordered. If it was Frixos Mossodopolous, there would have been an immediate insurance claim and a guarantee that cousin Spyro be appointed Greek Chancellor of Exchequer.

I really hope we get Mikatarian. During my Greek army days I had the unfortunate experience of getting into a fight with an Armenian sandwich vendor. The only way I can describe this guy is “jointeless”. He was so flexible that I soon found that I had body parts that I never knew exsisted. He gave me a right battering, whilst simultaneously serving a customer.

I also discovered that a Chicken & Ham combo with anchovy sauce is surprisingly delightful.

So whilst we were winning the league and Frank Moss was giving Goebbels a kicking, Totnumb were getting relegated? This is the natural order of things and should be applauded.

Come to think about it I recall, aged 10, the last time Totnumb got relegated. I was so happy that for years after I was convinced I could see Pixies and talk to Horses.

Great days.

50. chas mobile says:

Surely it’s impossible for the linesman to see a defender’s foot is behind a forward’s upper body.

51. Red Arnie says:

ha ha ha. brilliant batner! 🙂

FGG: some top top comments over the past fortnight or so. 🙂

52. fatgingergooner says:

Not a fan of the VAR. Right decision or not, that was a painful few minutes.

I wonder about that twitter thread at 11.49 about only being allowed to increase total wage bill by £7m unless there’s a corresponding rise in commercial deals, matchday revenue or player sales.

In terms of wages does
    Coquelin plus Walcott plus Sanchez
    equal Aubameyang plus Muckytarian plus pay rise for Mesut?

I’ve only just found out that the Club are adding 800 seats to Club level to increase matchday revenue over the next two summers – easier than getting back into the Champions League, I suppose. 🙂

56. fatgingergooner says:

Think we are trying to offload Debuchy to France aswell so I would imagine that would cover any new wages. Not sure who’s going to pay for our new CB in the summer though!

Little rambling post in drafts should it be needed.

58. fatgingergooner says:

I’ve heard a couple rumours about our new finance policies:

The plan is to only sign players without agents and stick them on 5 year, zero hour contracts. They will be too stupid to notice. We’ll just wheel them out for matchdays. Spurs got away with it for years with Ledley King!

Also, in the Arsenal store they’ve introduced a new Scrabble-style pricing system for shirt names. It now costs £13,000 to get Mkhitaryan printed on the back of your shirt. The additions of Mavropanos, Aubameyang, Reine-Adelaide and Maitland-Niles to the playing squad is set to boost letter sales by £15m a year.

Cheers, GIE, I’ll get on it for 9.30.

Great stuff, FGG. 🙂

60. fatgingergooner says:

Commentators are petrified of this Arsenal team:

Martinez
    Koscielny Mertersacker Mavropanos
    Maitland-Niles Reine-Adelaide Xhaka Kolasina
    Nketiah Aubameyang Mkhitaryan

still nothing?

well at least we know who reads celeb mags and knows all there is to know about Kim Kardashian.

62. fatgingergooner says:

How long is Walcotts medical!? Been at it for a day now. Must be assessing all 4 of his football personalities, the good one, the clumsy one, the shit one, and the stupid one.

I can imagine the last one will take a while.

63. fatgingergooner says:

Not everything Eddie,

Only the important stuff….like the circumference of her arse! 😂

fattie, I didn’t know you were Feo fan.
    He is not that bad. he played some good games for us and scored some crackers. Lacazette, Iwobi and Welbeck didn’t.

65. fatgingergooner says:

Eddie,

I don’t dislike the lad, he’s just an easy target I guess. Far too nice and unfortunately for us he never quite fulfilled his potential. His first touch is as horrendous now as it was at 17. I’ve not really seen much improvement from him over the years. That doesn’t make him a poor player, just never quite what we’ve needed. It annoys me that Wenger opted to keep him all these years instead of going out and buying someone who could link up play and actually fit in with the likes of Özil. I suppose pace is a premium commodity in football and you need of players in the squad, so maybe that’s why he’s lasted.

Let’s be honest, if he wasn’t fast he probably wouldn’t have made it out of League 2.

president Trump passed cognitive test with flying colours. One of the tasks was to identify pictures of a tiger, a rhino and a camel 🙂 🙂

he had some good seasons, like the one he signed da deal. As you know players always play best in a season prior to their contract renewal, which means that he is capable of more, just cannot be arsed. Van Persie and TH14 spent a lot of time training with Feo to improve his finishing. I think it worked, some of the goals were awesome, but you are right of course, not enough for us

So how much did you spend on the team @7:51?
    Armenian allegedly wants too much pw, greedy bastard

Really, Theo is a County level 100m sprinter

The fact that he can kick a ball straighter and harder towards the goal than anyone else in our team is why he stuck around so long.

It says way more about the utter crap strikers we’ve had since Brave Sir Robin left in 1894

hello micky
    1894 is a slight exaggeration, but dear oh dear our strikers who we have seen at the Ems past and present are shite, not one decent one, except for the Chilean who never grew on me

That Nketiah goal on Monday reminded me of this.
    (Up to 3 minutes)

Eddie and Micky

FGG is a Kardashian fan. My guilty secret is a passion for Dolly Parton 😲

73. fatgingergooner says:

Eddie,

The 7.51 is that ridiculous that I had to knock the last letter off Kolasinac just to fit in in the box correctly!

Walcotts stats were always ok (around 400 games, 100 goals, 75 assists), espescially when you consider he had to play in some average teams himself. The fact he was sometimes our key player shows how bad those sides actually were! The issue for me with Theo though has always been the other parts of his game. You can forgive the odd poor finish or pass if the rest is good, but it wasn’t. He would make poor runs, constantly looking to go in behind when we are looking to pass to feet. His defensive efforts were average, and he just seemed to lack the football intelligence that you need at the highest level to understand situations and understand what was needed at certain times.

I’ll remember him as frustrating yet likeable. When I think of players like Ljungberg, I get excited about football, with Walcott, it’s meh! Maybe that’s a sign of the teams he played in as much as anything he did himself.

74. fatgingergooner says:

BR,

In truth I can’t stand the woman! Horrible.

do you know what fattie, you are like all those men I asked if they’ve ever been to a brothel. No, none of them. I just cannot understand how the prostitutes make good living, amazing, init

I’d much rather have a photo of Walcott on the wall than a snap of Kim Kardashian.

77. Red Arnie says:

ha ha ha. motning all.

So Feo has been asked to give a cognition test like the one Dump gave! oh dear! bad news then!!

I have some idea what is taking so much time. All fingers and loose appendages are crossed, checking then take time. Particularly when one of these appendages is also severely bent and shoots in the wrong direction. 🙂

78. Red Arnie says:

Raddy, I thought Sophia Loren would score higher! 🙂

arnie – we need to see picture of her arse

The new post will be up at 9.30 sharp.
    This means you, RA, and I don’t mean you, Sophia Loren’s nipples.

81. Red Arnie says:

Eddie. That’s left to the imagination (fantasy?) of the admirer. 🙂

Mmm.. Sophie Loren 😀 😀 😀

And she can cook

NEW POST

84. Thanks for a marvelous posting! I truly enjoyed reading it, you
    can be a great author. I will ensure that I bookmark
    your blog and will eventually come back sometime soon. I want to encourage
    one to continue your great writing, have a nice afternoon!