Welbz with a Christmas Cracker

The midfield was a little flat with two similar players in the centre.

The centre backs handled a strong forward line with ease and composure.

Welbz ran his heart out and was duly rewarded, Big Ollie tried a few flicks, Theo missed a sitter.

courtesy of @11tegen11

Aside from two good chances for the good guys in the five minutes before half time, there was very little goalmouth action. West Ham had 1 shot in the whole 90 minutes, with none of ‘those’ on target. 🙂

34 Responses to Welbz with a Christmas Cracker

1. Barbes says:

From the onset I never expected anything less then victory. Arsene Wenger need to put more pressure on the two center back because they look good as Arsenal future defenders.

2. rhyle says:

This write up does a great job of ignoring what a dull game it was…but is short enough to say it without saying it!

On the bright side, we’re grinding out results at a time when it’s most needed, hopefully we can carry this sort of clean-sheet mentality all through Christmas and well into the New Year.

3. fatgingergooner says:

Home form will determine if we finish top 4 so that means beating Liverpool and Chelsea over this xmas/new year period. We need to be playing better than we have been the last few games to get the job done.

4. VP of Oz says:

Umm, new post x 2
    Some of us wait for the New Post comment before heading back to the home page

That said, Nice Posts

Nailed it Chas. Hole in one and all that 🙂

Wow, Pool on Friday I see. Exciting. Then two nasties away to Palace and West Brom before Chavs at home.

Coming thick and fast.

I wish I understood those graph things, there is a red line (that must be us) and it is higher than the other line (that must also be good, right?)

Does than mean we won one nil?

I think it must do.

7. fred1266 says:

Fine match report. IMO only the Defenders are first team quality. Welbz works so hard but, like Theo, needs to improve his close control and finishing.

Elneny? Mwah …

Kids did well.

WHU. Deadly dull and doomed

9. Aaron says:

posted this on other site, but will do here too.

So, about the game, it was plodding, and slow.

What the heck did everyone think it was going to be when they parked the bus??
    Many on here, yes many, think every team should just walk through many of these type of defenses. Hell, $h*tTy barely got by this exact squad 2 weeks ago. Even world class players have a difficult time scoring if everyone of the the opposing sides just camps inside of the 18 yard box, serial fouls and tackles hard.
    Even real and barca have a difficult time scoring against any Athletico team.
    Liked what I saw on D, but they lack pace and strong teams have that in numbers.
    Chambers needs to get a gd haircut.
    Appreciate that Arsene gave some of the youngsters real game time, and want to see Sheaf in more games, looks good on ball and liked his positioning, now Silva, darn near gave up a goal off his first touch and basically fell on the opposing player to try and stop him.

pool game will be interesting, and I want to see more of Niles too!

10. chas mobile says:

11. fred1266 says:

so who do you all want to face in semis

12. chas mobile says:

I fancy palace

13. chas mobile says:

When people tell me Fred is real……

Mourinho watching the match last night……

Proper football

Love that 6.53 comment and that 6.56 caught my eye as well.

Cheers chas. I wonder if that deer realises the cat is using her emotionally?

This season I’m very proud of our young guns. There coming on nicely and the future looks good.

Why then do I have niggling doubts? Many years ago I attended a Carly Simon open air concert in Athens accompanied by my cousin “Perspiring Neophytos”. In the background was the Acropolis and Carly sang classics like Your so vain and Coming round again. Marvellous.

However, during the performance a dermatalogical ailment that had been bothering me for some time, an itchy anus, had returned. I tried not to squirm in my seat, any sign of anxious behaviour would upset “Perspiring Neophytos” as with me scratching my arse as he observed whilst sweating profusely would no doubt had gotten us thrown out or arrested.

If this performance was repeated in a Greek prison, I think I would be perspiring more than Neophytos.

Things are looking good, but something which I can’t put my finger on, which is probably for the best, is bothering me?

Dec 20th

Dec 21st

Morning All

In the air for much of this evenings Big Match. Poor planning from both myself and Sky Sports.

If we can be defensively rigorous I fancy us for 3 points.

If we can be attackingly rigorous I fancy us full stop 🙂

Wow, can’t believe it’s Friday. Bring it on.

Belated Motning all

Afternoon all. Liverpool under Klopp and Arsenal have similar strengths and weaknesses. Both capable of great attacking displays but both regularly poor defensively which undermines them.

Over the last few games they have looked a more confident and cohesive attacking unit, so they look like they have the edge going into tonight. We need a Man Utd performance without the defensive errors to win the day.

Terry, loved the story about you and your perspiring cousin, but I am sorry you are having niggling doubts. That’s what happens to people with unresolved itchy orifices 🙂

Anyway let me help you put your finger on it (not the itchy orifice). We have some excellent youngsters which should bode well, but recent history suggests we are failing at taking the precocious talent, at say 17 or 18 yrs old, and turning it into top or world class talent.

We seem good at developing them to that first stage, but the final stage we are no longer the best at. If anything we are likely below quite a few others in this arena now.

I know much of the focus ends up looking at the individual player and their own personal failings. Comments like poor attitude, lack of football brain, missing their chance, all being used to explain their failure to develop into what we had all hoped for.

For me, (and not picking on anyone that prefers that opinion), I think it is just the easier way of explaining it away rather than face a more difficult potential reason that our coaching for those players in that transitional phase is sub standard. The problem is we know where we have to look towards for that without me even saying it, and it is not a direction that sits well with many on A.A.

My opinion is that there is too much tinkering and messing about with players positions after a certain age. Once they are knocking on the 1st team door then I would have thought it was then about identifying the best position and then developing them into top class in it. You can’t do this by playing them in a different position.

The impression I get is of trying to create some sort of utopian multi-functional player with all our academy graduates (most teams enjoy 1-2 that can play more than one position) which is proving not to work when you start listing the failing players that showed so much promise at 17-18. It is almost like they become a jack of all trades master of none.

Iwobi is now starting to split opinion with the fans. His raw talent does somewhat seem to be not moving on. Deficiencies in his game are more easily accepted when he was first on the 1st team scene, but once he has become more a 1st team regular and the deficiencies seem to remain unaddressed fans become less forgiving. Is it his fault though when you look at some who have come before him.

Now we are excited about the likes of Nelson and Maitland-Niles, but despite having the opportunity to try them in what could be considered their best positions in less meaningful games, the opportunity has been passed up on and they have played in completely different positions. I am sure the manager has a reason but is his reasoning right?

Maybe what troubles your Terry is that you have subconsciously recognised this pattern and so what should look bode for the future may not. See what perspiring Niophytus makes of it Terry 🙂

31. chas mobile says: