A Lunchtime Appointment.

I used to like Southampton, mainly because of their kit but also because of Alan Ball, Le Tiss and Mick Channon. The kit has stayed almost the same, the club hasn’t; in recent years they have become a feeder club – think Bale, Walcott, Ox and Shaw ++.

Unknown-1.jpeg

Today will be a tight game, Southampton’s defence is very strong, having conceded just one goal in 5 games. Forster, the GK is particularly good. Upfront they have had problems but the return of Charlie Austin has given them confidence. Austin is just the sort of player our defenders hate, physical, direct and a bully. This is where we miss a physical presence of Gabriel as our boys are a little too genteel, if he were available I would spend a bucket of money on Van Dijk who is a terrific defender..

In order to get a result S’ton will have to be aggressive in the tackle, something AFC must be well used to. Better technique, pace of pass and creativity are our three main weapons (M. Python), we must use them.

I expect BFG to start in place of Mustafi as both Chambers and Holding played midweek.

My team:

Cech

Koscielny    BFG    Monreal

Bellerin    Ramsey    Xhaka    Kolasinac

Ozil

Lacazette     Sanchez

As always, we have a plethora of quality on the bench with Theo and Jack excelling midweek.

12 goals in a weeek, two victories and one very positive loss means we must have a team full of confidence.

There are 6 very, very good teams at the top of the PL, probably the best 6 teams in memory. In other times any one of them would have walked the title. If we want top 4 this is the type of game we have to get points from. Stoke and Watford were painful losses, let’s keep it to just those two.

COYRRG

78 Responses to A Lunchtime Appointment.

Erik

The last words any purist wants to hear are that the opposition have a strong defence.

I always preferred Pompey, therefore no mercy for The Saints

sorry sorry sorry raddy, I will comment on the blog in a minute

bambi walks like a cat. I always suspected that there is something wrong with that dog

I have no feelings, good or bad about S’pton other than memory of tough games.

So what you are saying Raddy is that our defenders hate their attacker and our attackers cannot cope with their defence. Terrific. Game lost unless it’s called off due to weather conditions

Excellent, BR.

Let’s hope we can bring home the bacon today.
    We just can’t afford another poor result.

A repeat of this scoreline from last season’s FA cup would do me fine.
    It was one of the highlights of our away days.

see the small sporty white car with open doors? I told the driver not to drive as the roads were frozen. Did he listen? Nope 🙂

The blog looks great with photos of snow while the blog snow comes down.

Maybe all four legged animals with legs long enough do the 2 footprint thing. Can’t imagine a sausage dog doing it.
    What about the pugster?

chubby is up to his neck in that shit

not happy

8. chas mobile says:

9. chas mobile says:

Full house, BR

10. chas mobile says:

Poor chubster 😆

THAT is the First XI

Great bench as well

12. VP of Oz says:

I’m very excited. I’ve decided to go watch the Southampton Arsenal game live, in the flesh, aka Fred style.
    I was going to wait until next Halloween as Eddie invited me and the kids to try trick treating her place but this way is much cheaper and quicker.
    I’m currently in the upper tier, Ant is to my left, maybe…

Is Mustafi injured or is he permanently disgraced?

14. Red Arnie says:

Thank you, Raddy. 🙂

Strong or weak defence irrespective, we are looking to win. COYG.

15. Red Arnie says:

The snowflakes here make me feel sad, because there is no snow here in Edinburgh. only bloody frost.

16. Red Arnie says:

GB, thank you, and I am not ignoring you, despite all my evil intentions to do so. We just saw the game against the ManUre scummers, managed by the greatest cheat west of the Tigris, very differently. But heh! Good to be different. My position is similar to Micky’s.

I am happy with the modest progress in attack, but I would like to see more in defence. onwards and upwards! 🙂

17. Red Arnie says:

I think it is good the alleged “future captain” has some heel cooling time on the bench.

18. VP of Oz says:

Where was Monreal running
    He should have been shutting Austin down not watching/following/chasing the ball player

Morning all, sorry for my late arrival … I’m snowed in and had a power cut. The power just came back on in time to see some of the worst defending I can remember … and by our low standards that’s saying a lot. Saints should be 3 up.

Now here’s the thing. the whole team and bench can see there’s something wrong. We’ve got 70 minutes to put it right … who’s bollocking the midfield and defenders … what’s coming from the manager to address the problem?

20. fatgingergooner says:

Playing well.

Hmmm … let me guess … bugger the defending …attack, attack, attack 😆

you’re finally getting better Rasp 🙂

23. fatgingergooner says:

Not offered much in attack yet Rasp. Some lovely passing between Xhaka and our defenders and that’s about it. We’ve made it so easy for Southampton to stick 10 behind the ball bully conceding that stupid early goal.

24. VP of Oz says:

Anti Arsenal commentators

25. fatgingergooner says:

7 or 8 having shockers so far.

26. fatgingergooner says:

Sanchez, Özil and Lacazette looking lively at least. Missing final ball

we’re slowly warming up

28. fatgingergooner says:

Our first touch is atrocious so far. Keep costing ourselves opportunities with sloppy first touches.

29. VP of Oz says:

Awesome Xhaka performance so far

30. fatgingergooner says:

Not sure 3 subs is enough. Bellerin is getting ruined down the right.

We’re looking pretty in our passing, but still trying thread the ball through the eye of a needle and walk it into the net

the main problem for us is that Southampton have too many players

33. VP of Oz says:

I still blame Monreal for the goal and think he is very poor on the left
    Xhaka is playing a great game.
    Ramsey very strong
    Goals are surely going to come

Morning all, thanks for the post Raddy. Only just got back for the last 5 mins of the first half as I have been out on 4WD rescue missions for friends.

Arnie, that is fine for you to see the game differently, afterall that kind of early game sloppy switched off defending was a bit of a one off and isn’t the norm for us 🙂

GN5, sorry I don’t really like the re-quote thing but as it isn’t personally picking at you I will do it. You said

“Thanks Raddy, the Saints are very strong defensively only giving up 1.2 GPG but the are equally weak of offense only scoring 1.0 GPG.”

Well that should make our game plan to not give away a sloppy early goal to that weak offensive strong defensive outlet then 🙂

Anyway one whole half left so COYRRG’s pull your socks up.

35. fatgingergooner says:

I think this is a game for Giroud because they have a a red wall on the edge of their box.

we’re playing what I’ll call low risk, comfort football

we need more take-on’s around their box

Still far too intricate from us ….

fgg
    I’ll opt for Per off, Jack on

We’ve had all that possession and they’ve had 3 shots to our 1, as usual we are easy to score against and easy to defend against. Let’s not have 5 strikers on the pitch again and no end product

40. fatgingergooner says:

What’s the the point of passing it a million times when there are no chances at the end of it. Let’s just hope all the pointless passes have hypnotised the Saints defenders into conceding a few.

Now Jack
    who off?

Kos for me 🙂

Gorgeous 🙂

We’ve brought on Giroud and not given him a cross to attack?

a draw isn’t even enough in reality

Do we even know how to play direct football when needs be?

geoooooorgeous

One decent cross … one goal … simples 🙂

Too little too late

Arsene focusing on timewasting and free kicks being forced to be retaken, and not getting a (what would be questionable anyway) penalty. Not much talk or focus on our deficiencies.

I have always felt that to correct a problem and to get things right it starts with personal reflection and an acceptance of the faults. without that as a strting point things will never be addressed.

We don’t even have to nit pick and be critical of specific incidents and games in isolation. The simple fact is that what we just saw, that undermined our ability to win today, we see a few times each season, and further you can pick any season in the last 12 and say the same.

This development project (that arguably started with the purchase of Ozil) towards a team that will challenge for the title has been an utter failure. As I said on average you need to be getting into the 85-90 point arena to be a title contender and once again we are heading for the low 70’s.

Arsene hasn’t managed to get anywhere near it for years now despite being able to add better players. He has been wondeful for us and will be regarded as our greatest ever manager whatever, but he just hasn’t got that ability anymore at the highest level.

As I say this is a general reflection based on a longer time frame of analysis and not isolated to the disappointment of today.

We should sign this bloke.
    Might be more effective.

I have feelings and opinions about Southampton now. Horrible team playing anti football. Bastards parked the bus, any of them got near the ball hoofed it to Austin and that’s about as much skills as they had. It was painful to watch, poor Gunners flapping hopelessly like the pheasants surrounded by hunds

Only just got home to see the highlights which make it look as though we were very fortunate to get a point and lucky not to lose by 3.

Were we that awful?

no Raddy, we were not better nor worse than in dozen of similar games where we have 70% possession and dominate the game just can’t fooking score.

possession 33 v 67
    shots 6 v 11
    on target 3 v 6
    corners 4 v 5
    fouls who cares

55. fred1266 says:

Gutted with that draw

identical game to ours in mancunia

Team in red playing anti football
    Team in blue cannot score

man up fred, nothing unusual there

is that Arteta sitting with Pep’s crew?

Good spot Eddie. It is our ex-Lego man Captain

what is he doing with Pep?

Cheers Raddy

Must say, I didn’t enjoy that. I blame the snow. As a kid, a bunch of boys captured me and decided to build a snow man with me as the base. I thought I was saved when the neighbour came out and told them to leave me alone but when he realised it was me he said “I will go and get the carrot”

Very disappointed with our intensity? They wanted it more and played like they had just experienced a wanted mating. We played like we had just parked the canoe and been captured by a toothless man armed with a shotgun.

As I speak City are beating Utd. The only consolation therefore is that been a man who when suffering enjoys other people suffering with me, at least all the others will also be out of the title race by Christmas..

Undignified glee is the way forward

Terry, is undignified glee is the way forward replacing your usual thirsty goats sign off now 🙂

“I felt the Manchester United game played a bit of a part in the head of our defenders,” Wenger said.

“They were a bit apprehensive to start well again and that’s why it is sometimes not good to talk about the problem because you create a bigger one.”

Reckonthey did talk about it and Arsene regrets it a bit.

Got more and more frustrated with Alexis during the game, the rare time he took the easiest option we scored, lots of “I’m doing this on my own”.

Too many players not at the races today to list them all here.

Do think the two teams things might be hampering us. We have a squad to rotate but even with changing almost the entire side for cup games midweek we still seem to be suffering a drop in performance in games after midweek cup fixtures. Not always losing it not playing well.

We were far more energetic against United following a game against Huddersfield midweek than we were against Burnley or Southampton following midweek rests.

The Ghosts of the Thirties are Stirring is eternal GB.

But for the moment, taking glee from the misfortune of others will have to do.

It would be nice if they all take an unfortunate canoe ride.

nope, this was a much better game than ours. The red mancs were better than Southampton and the blue ones miles better than us. Great game and lovely result – unhappy maurinho

Always good to see Merino suffer,

MC should have scored at least 6, such was the gulf in class.

Terry. If you were German (god forbid) it would be called Schadefreude

66. chas mobile says:

No such thing as a poor bookie

December 10th

I can’t believe we’re still above Totteringham.
    They must be really shit.

Today’s Santa is a cracker.

Anyone around if I pen a few miserable words? 🙂

POST SENT

75. I’m on it ……………..

There’s a New Post ……………………