Arsenal Top Seasons – 1932-33 our 9th Best

1932-33 turned out to be the final full season that our inspirational and creative manger Herbert Chapman would manage Arsenal; he passed away from pneumonia in January 1934. He had been instrumental in many innovations at Arsenal including getting the local underground station, Gillespie Road renamed to Arsenal, and he also introduced the now famous white sleeves in a match against Liverpool in March 1933.

The West Stand was opened in December 1932

Arsenal was the outstanding team in the Football League, early on in the 1932/33 season they battled with Leeds United for the leadership of the First Division. On Boxing Day 1932 Leeds travelled to Highbury, at the time they were six points adrift of Arsenal in the League standings and they shocked the Arsenal crowd by beating Arsenal by 2-1, Charlie Keetley scored both goals in front of a huge 55,876 crowd, Joe Hulme scored the only Arsenal goal. This set the scene for the very next day, when they played the return fixture at Elland Road where the crowd of the previous day was exceeded and a new record attendance for Elland Road was set at 56,796.  For safety reasons the gates were locked causing hundreds who were locked out to climb up on nearby house roofs as well as the Peacock Public House and various vantage points along Beeston Hill in order to get a glimpse of the action. Victory would have strengthened Leeds United’s championship hopes but they were held to a goal-less draw by the star-studded Gunners after which they faded away and by the end of the season they were in eighth position, 14 points adrift of Arsenal.

Arsenal went on to take the Football League Championship and were so dominant and overwhelming that they went on to become only the second team in Football League history to complete a treble by winning the Championship again in 1933-34 and 1934-35, Huddersfield Town had been the first team to achieve the feat by winning Championships in 1923-4, 1924-25, 1925-26. The Arsenal squad included many famous names including Frank Moss; George Male, Eddie Hapgood, Frank Hill, Herbie Roberts, Bob John, Joe Hulme, David Jack, Tim Coleman, Jack Lambert, Alex James, Cliff Bastin, Wilf Copping, Ray Bowden and Ted Drake

The shock headline of the season was —

The Greatest FA Cup Shock In History: Arsenal Lose At Walsall On This Day, 14th January 1933

On the day Arsenal had fielded four reserve players two of whom had never played a First Division game and Arsenal ended up losing the game 2-0. One of the reserve players Tommy Black kicked a Walsall player and gave away a penalty when we were losing 1-0 the resulting goal made it 2-0. On the train back to London from the Midlands after the defeat, Herbert Chapman told Tommy Black that “he would never play for Arsenal again, as he had let our reputation down, and he need never come to the ground again, his boots would be sent round with the transfer forms”! Black was deputising on his first team debut for Eddie Hapgood he’d played 26 games for the reserves, but his Arsenal career was suddenly over.

Arsenal scored 118 goals in the season (2.8 per game) a total only exceeded by the 127 we scored in 1930-31 which included scores of 6-1 against Sunderland, 8-2 against Leicester, 9-2 against Sheffield United, 8-0 against Blackburn and on November 5th Arsenal travelled to play Wolves at Molineux Stadium and they lit up the skies by beating Wolves 7-1. Cliff Bastin scored 33 goals a record for a winger unlikely ever to be exceeded.

Written by GunnerN5

92 Responses to Arsenal Top Seasons – 1932-33 our 9th Best

didit, are you about, I have a question for you.

fred – no wonder you couldn’t find block 115 if you cannot count to 2 🙂 🙂

Thanks GN5, a fascinating read.

Management was so much simpler when you could just sack someone on the spot for being a dick! 🙂

It brings into focus how money, contracts and agents control the game these days.

Thanks GN5. Excellent read and it highlights how this club and its history is so much more than the here and now or even the last 30 years. Also it seems our Herb had a ruthless streak.

At least half that team were forwards!!!!

Really is time today’s authorities stepped in 🙂

Oi wait a moment, I never pushed POST

EDDDDDIIIEE…..yes?

Thinking of Herb’s handling of the pathetic Tommy Black, am I alone in thinking Arsene may “do a Herb” on Mustafi?

Yes, I think he faked the injury

fantastic post, thanks GN5
    I can’t believe they played 2 days in a row, is that right?

why can’t this team be like that?

didit 🙂
    a fooking thing was crying in the garden at 3am. The noise was like a gentle ‘eeweeet, eeweeet, eeweet’. On and on, and on
    I sent Bambi out at 5. It stopped. No blood on Bamb’s mouth. result

What was it? What animal makes such noise?? If anyone you would know

Eddie – Maybe it was Fred?

Eddie

Damn, and I thought it was going to be about Bitcoin, which I told you years ago to buy instead of a buy-to-ley in Totnum 🙄

eeeweet, eeeweet, eweeet eh? Sounds like a baby fox from here

or an owl?

12. fred1266 says:

Mickey u into bitcoin also

Hell yessss Fred and all alt coins, actually, 90% alt

Wow, you are my favourite blogger by miles 🙂

My Christmas tip to you Fred
    Komodo 10x next year. Easy 🙂

Cheers, GN5
    I was really impressed with the 2.8 goals a game. And people said that Our Herbert was a negative influence with his WM formation focussing on strong defence and lightning counter-attacking. Pffft.

I cant find a huge amount from that season, video-wise.

There is a clip from November 1932 when Arsenal played Racing Club Paris in a friendly (so mid-season) and apparently 30,000 Frenchmen turned up in the rain to see the famous Arsenal. They must have been pleased to see the stars of North London beat their team 5-2.
    Here is a screenshot from the Pathe clip. The nicknames the French gave the Arsenal players illustrates the esteem in which they were held outside of England.

16. fred1266 says:

Actually I haven’t started micky but a friend has. Been trying to convince me about 4 month now

Quality GN5.

What a fantastic era that must have been. The Great Depression? We beat Blackburn 8-0 for gawds sake.

And everything in black & white, so even Totnumb fans appreciated it. I acknowledge all Totnumb fans in black & white GN5. Out of respect, I once didn’t turn up to a Totnumb friends kids bar mitzvah because I was just back from from holiday sporting a marvellous suntan.

If only the great Herbert Chapman had not died early? Once Hitler had found out that the great Herbert was put in place of devising our war tactics he would have shit himself and Clarke Gable would have turned down that part in Gone with the wind,accepting the only man worthy to shag that fit Bird and not give a damn was the great Herbert.

The Ghosts of the Thirties are Stirring

Conveniently this just popped up on twitter…

baby fox probably. It must have been stinking because Bambs shot like a rocket, normally he takes his time sniffing the air

bloody bitcoins are everywhere now. Did you really tell me to buy them? How much were they worth, they are about $10k now. And is it true there can only be 21mil of them? So the price can go up exponentially. Shit, I wish I had money now,

Eddie
    Yes 21M, and we’re now at 17M, although it’s reckoned 4M are lost. Also worth knowing it’ll take about 100yrs to mine the last ones

Anyone
    Are any of the CL games tonight effectively knockout, or just going through 1st and 2nd place motions?

just looked and the answer is the motions 😦

the motions 🙂
    yeah, some dude claims he buried £74mil worth of bitcoins with the hard drive. Maybe.

What it that Komodo, fashion company?

Did I tell you micky that I gained and lost about £150k 20 years ago on shares? Honest to god true, got greedy, lost the fecking lot.

True story. Shares made me a poor man I lost $1,500,000.00 when it was too late in life to recover. 100% true, but I’ve long since stopped regretting it and got on with my life. But it does make me a tad sick recounting it again.

Thanks for looking for videos Chas, the Arsenal story in pictures was very unique.

GN5 – I know how you feel. I got over the loss but every time I think about how much I have lost makes me sick. And I didn’t lose paper money only, I invested thousands of my own money

Many of them were scums, I am sure of it. There was this company with shares doubling every day. I kept buying their shares and over a period of a few years they were worth a fortune. And one day I woke up, checked my portfolio again and they were worth 1p a share.I never bought a single share since

Oooo, Eddie, I could really go off on a rant 🙂

go on then! i think it is just me getting all the shitty deals in life

All currencies symbolised by a $, £ or €, are Ponzi schemes

They serve only the elite/corporate/banking cartels

You do not live in a democracy. You live in a corporate led feudal society

Think 2008. Who picked up the tab? 2008 was a tiny insignificant blip. Wait for the next round!

🙂

Theo through the middle? 🙂 🙂

I bloody knew that’s go down well 🙂

micky – you sound like some fooking l!!

Oh Eddie
    I think it’s all wonderful and the future is bright. Honestly.

ffs, I am falling out of love with you
    Next you will say we are still within a chance of winning the league this season
    or that Ollie is the best stricker in EPL
    or that Wenger isnot past his sell buy date

Theo through the middle? Should have been used more often Micky. We played well when he had a spell through the middle in the year Leicester were champions, and the tail end of the previous season. He got injured and on his return was never used again through the middle. Always baffled me to this day why it was never considered an option again.

GN5. Thank you. Another very interesting slice of history. Over 100k attendance over two days is impressive.

In a crap mood – the weather is dreadful.; seems as if it has been raining for a year and am planning to go out over the weekend and buy in enough wood to make an ark.

Add in the chat about shares and my mood blackens. I had exactly the same experience as GN5

Dear Lord, Eddie, what are you cross about?

The facts in my 8:54 or the Theo through the middle?

ps the history of my commenting on here will prove that I always use the Theo line when I reckon I’ve overstepped the line, given it’s a footballing blog 🙂

I was taking the Theo through the middle bit seriously Micky 🙂

micky. I am angry. Full stop.

but this is leftie bullshit “They serve only the elite/corporate/banking cartels
    You do not live in a democracy. You live in a corporate led feudal society’. Theo through the middle is ok by me

Me, a leftie? 🙂

Of course not Micky. Boris Johnsons dad on IACGMOOH looks to have a touch of the Lenins about him compared to your good self 🙂 …..or did you mean Theo to the leftie?

GB

You know the thinking here, Theo from the leftie cutting in on to the rightie 🙂

I am NOT a leftie OR a rightie

By the way, Champions League is pants. Not one of the last group games means anything.

I’ve just seen my first January transfer rumour and it mentioned Arsenal and some bloke called N’somethingorother. Holding midfielder as it happens

43. chas mobile says:

Affletico Madrid are now in the Europa!

44. Zee says:

Superbly written slice of history, GN5, well done.

N’ Zonzi or something like that Mickish — used to play for Blackbum – cost £1/2m — then Stoke and cost them £3m, and was useless.

Then played for Seville – was rude to their manager, and was spanked, and now Fat Sam wants him at Everton.

Not keen for Arsenal to be linked.

45. Zee says:

I think you were a bit harsh on Mustafi, Mr Tricky Micky.

He clearly broke his leg in three places, damaged his pride something awful, and will take until tomorrow or Friday to put all the bits back together again.

Ask Terry — if a bad guy stares at him – he falls over and breaks every limb and only recovers when the baddie buggers off.
    Ask him! 😀

Arsene has supposedly had a soft spot for N’zonzi for years.
    He was touted as the new Patrick Vieira when playing for Blackburn. 🙂

This tabloid speculation from 2012.

Evening all. Shares? Yes, it’s a terrible feeling losing money. One particular windy day a fiver flew out of my hand so I started chasing it down Bounds Green High Road. In pursuit I had no choice but to knock some old age pensioners and children out of the way. Does this make me a bad person? By the time I had got half way down the road I noticed I had a bus pass I’m my pocket and I believe I may have eaten an ice cream?

I was determined not to give up, so to refresh for the chase I stopped off at the pub for 5 quick pints of lager. I then noticed that something resembling a five pound note blew into the local brothel? I searched the place for 45 miniutes but left with nothing, though my trousers were now the wrong way round? By now I was getting desperate, but deduced that money follows money so went into the local bookie, and so as not to look weird placed a few bets and to make my £5 search look authentic, even got into a fight with an Albanian who laughed when my horse fell at the first.

A couple of days later, still gutted about losing the money, I was in a shop when I noticed this man pull a fiver out of his pocket? I approached and politely said “where did you find that mate? It’s mine ain’t it?” Though I had caught the Git red handed, he wouldn’t admit it so after a brief altercation I ended up chasing him down the High Road, again having no choice when looking for him, to stop off in the same places.

Shares ain’t worth it.

Chas
    I’m quite pleased about your Athletico news, as I’d rather see them than FC Plate Borisov! Think Dortmund have also been relegated.

Zee
    Wow, that N’zonzi has a truly awful CV 🙂

Footnote, during the fight with the Albanian I fell and broke nearly every bone in my body. After that, he left me alone, but three days later he happened to spot me down New River playing five a side football, but fortunately for me I spotted him coming, so as some bloke dribbled past me, I managed to fall over in the non collision and break nearly every bone in my body

Transplant 🙂

So, Transplant, reading between the lines, you too reckon Mustafi could be turning out for the 2nd XI tomorrow night 🙂

Of course Micky. RedZee is right, there is nothing wrong with him. If I was playing in that game after making such a mistake I would have pulled out my mobile and made out my mother had just died.

My dear old Ma has already passed on, but I know she would have fully approved of my cowardly actions.

53. Zee says:

Terry,

😀 😀

(Actually, Terry baby, I am not sure you should be talking to Mickish — Eddie winkled it out of him – [I think that was what she was doing] – that he is a leftie-rightie) that’s terrible!

Micky is no leftie RedZee, he has a Scottish Uncle.

Scots can be lefties, but Englishmen with Scotish Uncles usually enjoy the sound of gunshot and flapping pheasant.

55. VP of Oz says:

So I am reading more rumours that Ozil is about to sign a new contract for the Arsenal, to marry Amine Gulse and is setting up his London home to settle down. I dont see him moving with all that going on in his private life so lock him in for a new contract

That would be excellent VP

Then, we take the Sanchez hounds hostage and he too will sign da ting.

Happy days

Terry, Quality 🙂

Evening Zee

VP, would very much like to see Ozil tied down. It would then leave only Sanchez as a slight problem, but he is one I feel we can overcome, and keeping Ozil will certainly improvert the clubs image when looking to bring players in.

Gunshot and flapping peasants, perhaps. That be Uncle Ernest 🙄

Micky
    Dortmund won’t be in the Europa when Apoel Nicosia beat the spuds. 😆

Chas
    That’s OK, we’re done with Dortmund. Madrid would be good, and, worth a visit for the away leg

Englishmen with Scotish Uncles usually enjoy the sound of gunshot and flapping pheasant.”

Superb

62. fred1266 says:

Someone should have told me France was such a boring place

Looks like Napoli could be in the Europa. That would be a fine away day

Fred

I assume you didn’t manage to find the French Croydon then. Just hope you didn’t end up in Paris as that’d be dull as dishwater 🙂

Erik
    Naples? Yes please Mind you, Roman ruins and shit might be boring 🙂

65. fred1266 says:

What just because N’zonzi scored that goal against us I Emirates cup we want to sign him

First pharaoh now this

December 6th

December 7th

fantastic vids this morning 🙂 🙂

English teams are doing rather well in CL, damn

gunshots and flapping pheasants. They are a blot on the landscape in Cuffley. Bastards breed the birds to shoot at them later. They warned me they will shoot Bambi if he is not on a lead in the fields

You sound like a leftie Eddie Daaaarling 🙂

Chas
    Love the wiff waff bird. Surreally brilliant

Anyone going to bother to watch tonight?

chas. Fin work this morning.

Love the dog. Can a cat trampoline? No, they can’t.

And I love the Santa Xmas calendar. Everyone a winner.

Eddie. That is what happens when you join the hoi polloi in expensive Cuffley. I remember moving from Finchley to the Cotswolds and found that instead of traffic lights there were sheep in the road.

Micky. If it’s on TV then Yes, of course I will. Must be better than some god awful baking/dancing programme.

You sound a little angry Erik. Were you forced to watch gentlemen mincing around a dance floor in sequins last night?

gentlemen mincing around a dance floor in sequins – that’s the highlight of my week 🙂 🙂 what was it, strictly go dancing?

raddy – I am like Theo, through the middle. I hate socialism, but even more so injustice. Children dying of starvation in Africa and people throwing away food by tonnes everywhere else. Pensioners sitting on buses to keep them warm and 2 bugattis outside a house down the road. There is something intrinsically wrong with this world and I find it hard to ignore.

Eddie

I stated my world view. You called me a leftie and yet I agree with what you’ve just said.

Theo through the middle?

micky – shall we start a revolution?

one of my favourites

Nothing wrong with being a Hampstead socialist is there?

the Gallaghers of Hampstead? 🙂

no Raddy, nothing wrong with that. Most socialists and good doers live in posh, secure areas away from the mobs. Place them in a rough area for a while and they will soon change their minds.

See, I don’t fooking know where I belong??!! Through the middle ?

There is a New Post