Mesut’s Master Class

A stroll in Drayton Park, Mind the Gap, there are so many possible headlines but homage to Özil seemed the most appropriate. The maestro conducted the orchestra from start to finish; his silky skills being just that bit more in focus when so easily being able to compare his recent absence against Burnley.

Arsenal hit the ground running scoring within five minutes with a superb left footed effort from Lacazette the only down side was that Arsenal changed from high alert to casual cruise mode and proceeded to make hard work of things up till half time.

Lacazette was swapped for Giroud after the break I can only hope this was done for rest reasons ahead of the United game. Still, Giroud was the man that opened the flood gates with a trade mark, near post effort delivered to him from Mesut of course.

Gushing moi? I have only just started, I now get to the Ozil goal, I should just do a long purr sound, wonderful, wonderful, wonderful. Sanchez, Ramsey and Giroud got on the score sheet with the latter getting a second but where was I, oh yes, back to Özil and Mesut gets my MOTM.

We’re ready for you Jose.

Cech: the clean sheets are adding up. 8

Sanchez: he has had better games. 8

Lacazette: getting better and better. 9

Written by LB

78 Responses to Mesut’s Master Class

1. Thank you LB

This goal 😁

2. What a sensible chap Mustafi is ……. future captain for me.

LB. Thank you.

Worrying about Laca. Our front 3 look superb. Thankfully, we have some fine backup strikers.

Looking at 7.17, from that camera angle the final ball from Ozil goes forward in which case OG is offside. Crap refereeing 😀

4. Wolfgang says:

This win will count for nothing if the gunners cant beat MU.
    Its about time they get the job done against atop4/5/6 team.
    Hopefully the german was focused on winning and not putting himself in the shopping window. But you never know.

Mustafi speaks the best English at the club. If he continues to play as well as he has since his return Mustafi is likely to be our next Captain

6. fred1266 says:

My first mid-week game has taken the toll on me

Fred. That is good 😀

Albanians almost always speak good English. I like Albanians

forget it, he is 3rd generation Kraut 🙂

I got bored after first 4 goals and went to bed 🙂 🙂

I swear, I posted my comment about brilliant Ozil seconds before he scored! Female crush here !!

Eddie. It the hair highlights, isn’t it?

Thanks LB. I share your appreciation of Ozil. It is funny but if you asked most fans a while back who they wanted to keep out of Ozil and Sanchez then most would have gone for Sanchez.

I am one of those that think he has had unfair criticism that is a bit off the mark. I think it is to do with what they think they see in him (more the perception) rather than what is actually happening. It is almost as if he is a slight optical illusion as a player. No doubt he has had some games where he didn’t get involved as much as he could but I think it has been over-exaggerated, and which player hasn’t had bad games anyway?

Anyway coming to my point, when I look at Ozil’s skill set I think there are very few options out there that can replace it. He has a slightly unique style that is hard to find. Sanchez on the other hand, albeit excellent player that he is, looks more to have a skill set that I think is replicated in many players, so I feel his position (or role) will be easier to replace.

Personally I think we need to go all out to keep Mesut. On the back of this we may find that it persuades one of his German compatriots, like Goretzka or Draxler, to come to THOF, both of whom I feel can take up the Sanchez role with aplomb.

I have thought for a long time that there is more demand for Ozil than there is Sanchez.

If you think about it where could Sanchez go? Not Spain: Real and Barça are the only two that could afford his wages and neither of them need him.

Italy? No one could offer him more than he is getting with us.

PSG only possibility in France and they don’t need him.

So the UK: Chelsea, no, Manu U possibly but I can’t see him working with Mourinho and so we come to City. I never took this seriously, where would he play? Aguero can’t get into the team and one of the principal reasons he signed for Arsenal was that he wanted game time and with us he gets it. The only reason I could see City signing him at Christmas is that if we threatened their push for the title and at the moment that doesn’t look likely.

However……….I think this could change when the games start coming thick and fast for City in the new year.

Oops almost forgot: Germany, could Bayern pay his more than we do? Not sure about that.

I reckon that we are just going through the process of Sanchez realising all this and when the penny finally drops he will sign an extension.

Top drawer match report LB. I think you’re right, the early goal was the reason why we lost focus in the first half … but what an incredible second half.

The build up and execution of the second goal in the clip above makes it a far better goal than Rooney’s punt from the half way line … but we’ve known for a long time that the ‘experts’ never give us the credit due.

Also, spot on about Mustafi. He is now marshalling the defence and urging the players to sharpen up when we get sloppy, I witnessed it several times last night. Kozzer has been an amazing servant to the club, but I’m wondering if he is now having to play through the pain and letting Mustafi call the shots.

Lacazette was making fantastic runs and not seeing much of the ball. Xhaka (who did have a poor game) didn’t have the quality to find him …. I’m sorry to say it, but we need a player like Cesc to feed our front three from deep.

Jack looked lively to me, and receives the ball on the half turn so is always looking to drive play forward. It’s a shame we can’t find a way to play with Jack and Ramsey.

Based on yesterday’s performance, I’d prefer Elneny to Xhaka.

14. VP of Oz says:

I’m all in for Xhaka so I disagree with you Rasp on that point.
    And I seem to have a man crush on Nabil Fekir being a better replacement for Sanchez however my preference is to retain Sanchez but if he goes than I’d love to see the little Fekir running the ball for Arsenal.
    Great game and lets hope we can move on and bury the manure this weekend.
    Finally, the North London Power Shift has become the North London Pear Shape

Rasp, based on yesterday’s performance, and others, I would prefer someone to both of them 🙂

I think we just have too many CM’s that bring very similar things to the table and don’t give us any extra variation. We have enough good and tidy passers in the team and I would sacrifice both these 2 for a midfield destroyer, a real athlete. Even if slightly less technical on the ball this player could allow the rest of the team to play more.

Take Fernandinho. he is probably a tad less technical and sublime in his passing than Xhaka but is probably more important because he allows the rest of the technical players to play with more freedom and less defensive duties.

Hi VP, after such a great result it’s churlish to focus on any negatives, but Xhaka was the only weak link. I think he’s low on confidence because the forward players were making runs and calling for the ball but he often opted for the safe pass … or, as happened too often … he passed the ball to a player surrounded by defenders who either passed it straight back or was dispossessed (this mainly in the first half)

Would it not be better to keep Xhaka and buy an upgrade on Coquelin?

If only JW could play the deep lying CM role, but clearly Mr Wenger doesn’t trust him with it.

I don’t know why that should be. Jack’s not a great tackler, but neither is Xhaka, but Jack can play the killer pass to unlock a defence.

What a shame we couldn’t sign Kante … he’s the type of player we really need.

19. fred1266 says:

Elneny Rasp I think u meant coquelin

No fred, I meant Elneny 🙂

Guys, you should have noticed where Wilshere was playing last night when he came on and as such where Xhaka moved to.

Wilshere was playing the deep midfield role while Xhaka moved into the Ramsey role.

It was a straight swap, Xhaka for Ramsey and Wilshere for Xhaka.

I was amazed.

Well that’s good news LB. The movement was so fluid I found it hard to note what position any of them were playing 🙂

Maybe Jack as a sub for Xhaka when we need a bit more penetration is the way ahead. I had assumed Jack came on for Ramsey.

Incidentally, it was great when we all sang a song for Santi … I hope he received the message.

Yes Rasp that was a good touch, I even got my vocal cords moving for that one.

Never liked Wilshere in the deepest midfield role. He has attributes on the ball and in his passing that makes it work at times but it will get found out against better opposition. Woy tried it with England and gave Henderson (who looks a better DM than Jack but has 1/2 his ability going forward) the role to get forward instead and that didn’t exactly set pulses racing.

It also stifles his skill of taking the ball on the half turn and getting us on the front foot. With an injury free run I could see Jack becoming one of our key attacking CM players that gets into the box and operates in those little sublime 1-2’s in tight areas. What we really need is a player who can sit in front of the defence (with Coquelin as a back up player) and allow other midfielders to play a more attacking game with freedom.

In reality Jack, Ramsey, Xhaka and Elneny are all players that need a holding midfield player alongside them and none of them are that midfield shield to the other. Essentially we need to trim that area of maybe 2 players and free up squad space / wages for a player that can give us that greater balance. Personally I would keep Jack and Ramsey and get that player keeping Coquelin as a back up to the new guy.

Cheers, LB.
    From the bit I saw, I thought there was all kinds of sloppy passing from various sources in the first half. Seems harsh to slap them all at the feet of Julie Andrews. Especially as he made three crucial passes in the first goal build up. 🙂

I also found the start of the second half decidely dodgy what with the Cech block with his feet and Cech palimng the ball on to his own bar.
    It’s so strange how we were a bit iffy for 50 minutes of the 90 but romped home with a convincing 5-0.

Thanks also to BR for the pre-match. Read it but didn’t have a chance to comment before the game.

BR
    I realise your comment about Giroud being offside was a joke but for those that didn’t………..

When two players break past the last defender and when the ball is played, it is the player receiving the pass whose position in relation to the ball which is crucial, not whether the ball goes forward or not.

Top stuff LB. Ozil was so good last night I almost forgot the cold and religiously biased Ottoman tax imposed by the Sultan on Greeks and Non-Eunuchs.

A couple of years ago I was waiting on a tube platform on the way to an Arsenal Totnumb game when approached by a provocative Rodent. After dealing with the Totnumb fool, by employing moderate but effective violence, a large Rat scurried up to me. After a bit of a stand off I took the initiative and side footed our furry friend onto the track. It wasn’t a hard kick, more of a David Hillier square ball to Eddie Mcgoldrick.

What happened next amazed me. Some women immediately threatened to call the RSPCA? My first thought was “does she know the difference between a David Hillier side footer and Charlie George thunderbolt?” She was soon joined by a couple of men who asked how I would like to be kicked on to the track? I responded I wouldn’t mind as long as my death delayed there journey.

This Rat tale reminds me of Ozil. It amazes and confounds me how anyone could not rate the mans ability, but also his tremendous off the ball work rate?

Anyway, another good win.

The Ghosts of the Thirties are Stirring

We are not worthy.

Genius

I honestly didn’t know that part of the offside rule.

Don’t read this Eddie, all men know the offside rule.

As for Julie Andrews which I have to say is clever in it’s self. There is a difference for me between a Sanchez misplaced pass which usually is an attempt to create a decisive opening (yes I am being generous but it is for the sake of the example) and there is Julie’s sloppy passes in the midfield that go to the opposition when there is absolutely no reason for them to do so.

I thought it was a case of all the intricacies that didn’t come off in the first 50 minutes, after the first goal of course, suddenly started coming off, very little seemed to change apart from our luck.

32. chas mobile says:

I was thinking more of the sloppy passes from the back three which are just as dangerous as those from the midfield.

The above is meant to be a parody but as far as I’m concerned it’s clickbait which confuses and therefore may add to the ‘Ozil is shite’ myth propounded by the media and others who are a little dense.

Maybe I’ve just lost my sense of humour.

I’ve read it LB, duly noted

A story for you. A few years ago my mother took me to a theatre in Poland. The play was about 2 families supporting different teams in Warsaw, Legia and Polonia. A bit like us and Scum. It was a good play, very funny. At the end the director asked if any women in the audience understood the offside rule. I promptly raised my arm up thinking that many others would. Nope, I was the only fecking tool.

They asked me to come to the stage to explain the offside rule. They asked which team I support and I told them the Arsenal. They guessed that I live abroad from my strange accent and started taking the piss. I have never been so embarrassed in my life. That tought me not to stick my arms up in public

Eddie
    Rule number 1: the only people allowed to stick their arms up in public are the famous Arsenal back four

Talking of Julie Andrews (love it), Chas having to explain the offside rule to Erik is possibly my blogging highlight of all time

It’s snowing at AA HQ. Nice

snowing is nice, yep!!

chas – that’s not how I explain the off side rule. it att the time the ball being played the player is closer to the goal than the last defender of the opposition, then that sticking out player is offside.

when is the royal wedding? I will fecking flip if it is not in December and I have to see anymore of the happy couple

In December!!!! Have you lost all sense of reality?

Not everyone flits through marriages willy nilly,

Also, what news feeds do you get that you even hear about this important stuff 🙂

never had it in the first place, therefore nothing to lose 🙂

when then? how much longer will I have to watch smirking Harry and sweeeeeet Meghan holding hands. It is already making me sick

Where the hell do you see that crap? Do you gawp at Helloooo magazine all day or what?

Thank you to whomever started the festive snow,

7.17 As to the offside … I didn’t know that about the direction of the pass. Also, unless there is an opposition player out of picture Giroud is clearly offside.

Or am I being thick again?

Sorry Eddie, must go, so I’ll leave you to a peaceful days’ royal watching 🙂

Move the topic on Erik, and fast 🙂

Must dash

45. fred1266 says:

Yea they moving like it the first time someone from the family getting married

Have a look at Group A in the World Cup draw and tell me it isn’t crooked

raddy – it isn’t crooked.

feck!!! Poland not in the same group as England!! That must be the first time

49. VP of Oz says:

no group of death, what is going on at Fifa

Group A: Russia, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Uruguay
    Group B: Portugal, Spain, Morocco, Iran
    Group C: France, Australia, Peru, Denmark
    Group D: Argentina, Iceland, Croatia, Nigeria
    Group E: Brazil, Switzerland, Costa Rica, Serbia
    Group F: Germany, Sweden, Mexico, South Korea
    Group G: Belgium, Panama, Tunisia, England
    Group H: Poland, Senegal, Colombia, Japan

Damn I wish I was going to the game tomorrow.

You and me as well Micky.

53. fred1266 says:

Were do w meet up before game tomorrow

54. chas mobile says:

Frederico
    The Faltering Fullback is, I believe, the hostelry of choice tomorrow.
    It’s north of Finsbury Park tube station.
    We usually go in the garden out the back of the pub, even if it’s bollock freezing.
    Use Google Maps to see where it is.
    Ant and me are on the train, so no guarantees as to how coherent we may be by the time we get there ( no change there).

Will be great to meet you.
    How will we recognise you?

Come on guys, Fred’s been trying to connect with some of the regulars before the game and is getting zero response. Help him out.

Aha well done Chas – you are a real gent and a star.

57. fred1266 says:

Got room in my pocket for one person

58. chas mobile says:

Freddie-baby
    I didn’t go to the game on Wednesday, hence the lack of response from me.
    Will be great to meet you tomorrow.

59. fred1266 says:

Kook forward to meet everyone as well

60. VP of Oz says:

According to the Fantasy league, Sanchez is carry a hamstring injury and Lacazette is out with a groin injury.
    damn

Fred
    Our train gets into St Pancras at 3.14pm so we should be at the FFB by 3.45ish.

Happy Birthday for yesterday, old girl.

oooohh, BIG match day today
    Normally I am scared of watching ManU games, but after Totts’ demolished I’ve got bushy tail as Didit would say

An old favourite of mine……

Excellent game this afternoon. Wish I was going.

Never liked cinammon 😀

Fredster
    If you’ve forgotten what Ant and me look like (as we haven’t posted a photo on here for at least a week) here’s a fairly recent shot.
    We’re the two on the wings.

evening game Raddy, 5:30 kick off

Porky Parry is an obviously staged video

Had a chat with a reasonable ManU fan yesterday. He was laughing we bought Welbeck for £18m He said Danny will start today ahead of Olllie. Is that true?

Fred – pick 2 best looking but most drunk guys in the pub, that’d be Ant and Bro, simples

For micky only:
    yesterday:
    Royal love is in the air! Markle mania gripped an English town on Friday when Prince Harry and fiancée Meghan Markle embarked on their first official royal outing as a couple

today:
    Meghan Markle may have to take a test in order to become a UK citizen

I don’t want to be around when the pregrnancy speculations start, feck that

Having said that, Harry is my mother’s favourite. She soooo happy he is getting married, I think happier than she was when I told her my son is getting married

71. fred1266 says:

What’s FFB chas

Eddie. Is it dark at 17.30 in UK? I rest my case.

Fred. The Faltering Fullback pub. See Chas comment 8.13

Raddy – you really need to come to UK more often 🙂 It is pitch black at 4pm!! I have to walk the dogs before 4 if I want to find their poos

There is a New Post

Eddie

Any news about Beatrice or Eugene? Haven’t heard anything in ages. Frankly, rather worrying

And yes, Danny ahead of Ollie. Mind you, if Sanchez is out, then both.