Red Star Pre – Match

There are some names in football which have a ring to them, something romantic that takes us back to times past, Red Star Belgrade is one of those.

Before mass- televised football, before the fall of the Berlin Wall and the breakup of Yugoslavia, before drug testing etc Red Star were huge, Barcelona huge. They were Tito’s team, they played in Communist red and white with a red star. They were the team that Man Utd played before the awful Munich disaster. They had a ground which held 110,000 fans – more than Wembley, and they filled it for every game! In 1991 they won the  European Cup.

Unknown.png

Times have changed. After the breakup of Yugoslavia and the creation of Serbia, Red Star are no longer the powerhouse of East Europe. They remain the peoples team with almost 50% of Serbs supporting them.

The ground is called the Marakana, tonight is a 55k sellout and AFC can expect a hostile, intimidating welcome.

images-2.jpeg

Once again, I know nothing about the opposition squad. I expect them to be organised, hard working with a couple of tricky players and a big bloke upfront (much like us!)

My Team:

Cech

Debuchy   BFG    Monreal

Nelson     Elneny     Wilshire    Maitland-Niles

Iwobi

Walcott    Giroud

Debuchy is due to start his first game for almost a year. Apparently Mr Wenger tried to give him away in summer but received no offers, thanks to high wage demands. One has to feel for the Frenchman; injured early in his AFC career by a sly foul from some Stoke Orc. he has had the misfortune to see his place taken by a young, wonderful talent who, quite frankly, is in a different league to him. Given how much Debuchy cost, how in demand he was when at Newcastle, it must hurt not to be a first team choice and perhaps explains Debuchy’s less than compliant attitude.

Welbeck, Kos, Chambers, Sanchez, Ramsey and Mustafi are all out with different degrees of injury.

I expect Ramsey, Sanchez and Ozil to start at Evertion so Iwobi and Wilshere should be our creative hub tonight.

Not an easy game to predict as Red Star are a decent team, have home advantage and Arsenal will be putting out a second string team. It should be fun as we continue our Europa campaign.

117 Responses to Red Star Pre – Match

1. Joel says:

Ozil and Sanchez have hardly kicked a ball in anger for Arsenal during the last month.Surely this was the game to test their mettle.If they weren’t able to put in the right type of performance for an hour tonight then what would be the point of playing them at Everton this weekend!
    I can understand the logic of bringing Debuchy back into the side but would have thought that he would be better used at right wing-back or full back.Bellerin’s form over the last six months has been fairly “in and out”, and perhaps some degree of competition might spur him to concentrate on his role a little better.
    This is the usual stage in the season when the deluded manager starts to seriously underestimate the strength of the opposition although in previous years this had been reserved for outings in the League Cup and the Forth ranked side from the Champions League.
    After the tepid performance against Watford it’s impertinent to get the player’s mentality focused upon winning once again.Another away defeat tonight wouldn’t bode too well for Sunday.But then…Monsieur Wenger, as we all know, is the “Master” when it comes to putting a team on to the pitch in the wrong frame of mind…and subsequently claiming quite the opposite!!

2. RC78 says:

AW will play:
    Holding, BFG, Monreal
    Bellerin, El Neny, Wilshere, Koli
    Walcott, Ozil
    Giroud

I don’t think that Sanchez or Ramsey would start

I would play
    Debuchy, Holding, BFG, Monreal – Xhaka, El Neny, Wilshere – Walcott, Giroud, JEFF

Raddy, thank you for another informative pre-match. As always I look forward to the game and will do my utmost to enjoy it – regardless of the result.

Joel that was some sound reasoning, we need your type of comments on AA, I hope you stick around.

I also feel that Sanchez and Ozil will play today.

Thanks Raddy, I love the way you’ve described Red Star’s history … I’d forgotten why they were such a formidable side in the past.

This game should be the perfect antidote to the Watford debacle.

More importantly with Sanchez and Ozil’s future seriously in doubt, the likes of Wilshere, Debuchy, Maitland Nyles (con) and even Walcott are going to be given the opportunity to stake a claim for a place in the first team. We may be lacking in mettle as a team, there’s nothing like competition from those more hungry for success to wake those up who are too comfortable.

In the longer term, we really need to think much harder before handing out big salaries to those who are yet to achieve the required level. It was ludicrous to offer the Ox so much to stay, he wasn’t worth that sort of money. The top wages should be reward for high levels of performance, not an incentive to improve. … ambition and wanting to play for the shirt should be the driving force for individual performance.

As one of the most combative members of the Arsenal squad, you expect Jack Wilshere to lead from the front – and that’s exactly what he did in Wednesday’s press conference in Belgrade.

Asked about Troy Deeney’s remarks about the team following our defeat to Watford, the England international delivered a measured, but forthright response.

“As a player if your attitude is questioned, it’s horrible,” Wilshere said. “I look around this team and you can’t question our character.

“People try to put us down, they always have. I don’t think the comments were justified. When we look back at the game we look back at ourselves and what we did wrong. I don’t think we can look back and question our character.

“We did certain things wrong but we certainly didn’t want to let the lead slip. We will move on. We have a game tomorrow and another big game at the weekend and we have seen with this team that the players can bounce back quick – and we will do that.

“I’m sure individually the players are disappointed, no-one wants to hear those comments, [but] the players are entitled to their opinions and to talk, that’s part of the modern-day game. We have to deal with that.

“All we can do is come back with a good performance tomorrow and a good performance at the weekend.”

Cheers, BR.
    The Europa is completely stress-free for me this season:Carabao Cup standard levels of couldn’t give a f”ck.

A few youngsters get a taste of the action, a few senior players gain fitness and confidence – win, win.

Everton on Sunday will be hard regardless of tonight’s result.

That man is on tour again; this time sampling the local Serbian cuisine.

Rasp on the question of a players salary it’s also necessary to consider the players future potential and those who have watched how players develop at the various stages of their career’s are in the best position to make that judgment.

Rightly or wrongly unproven players of a very young age are being paid extraordinary salary’s – and the trend is up and not down. As the money from sponsorship grows so will the salary’s.

12:55 is superb Chas.

Hi GN5, rewarding potential hasn’t served us that well in the past. In business, the best candidate gets promotion and a better deal, the business doesn’t go round trying to predict an employees performance in a year’s time, they react to what they are currently achieving.

I’m not going to mention other clubs, but I can think of several who have managed their salary scales better than us. I’m all for paying top players top salaries … but dead against paying players so much based on their ‘potential’ that it is impossible to move them on because we’ve been over generous.

That looks like a very good lunch, I wonder what choice there is to drink with it?

Perhaps a full bodied red, might need a siesta after but what’s wrong with a that followed by a game of football?

Rasp, having been in the executive role in business for over 25 years I can assure you that potential is always a big consideration when both hiring or promoting individuals. Past performance is also a part of the assessment but nowhere as big as you might expect.

This is from experience in American and Canadian businesses – not opinion.

13. fred1266 says:

Anyone hear attending todays game

I am also in business GN5 and I have been involved in similar decisions …. of course potential is a consideration.

This is a pointless discussion … the contracts situation in football is quite different. My opinion is that we have overpaid some players who subsequently have failed to achieve their ‘potential’ and who we struggle to move on because their contract is too lucrative.

…. and for that reason I was delighted when I heard that Dick Laws had left the club

Aha Rasp you found the answer to the issue –

It was that evil “Dick’s Law” that created the problem.

🙂 🙂 🙂

I have no idea whether Dick Laws was ‘the evil’ as you put it … I only know the mechanics of our contracts negotiations left something to be desired on occasion and therefore a change in personnel is an opportunity for improvement. Accountability is also important in business.

Rasp it was a joke – not Dick Laws but “Dick’s Law” – notice the three smiling faces at the bottom.

Like “Murphy’s Law” etc…………………….

Afternoon all. 6pm KO.

Thanks Erik. Good stuff on Red Star. Love the pic with the flares (no, not the trousers, Erik). Hope we see some tonight.

Agree with those that think Sanchez and Ozil should be playing some part to get match sharpness. While I like the young Guns in the Eurodisney, it should also be an arena for those returning from injury.

Isn’t Coquelin around yet?

Cech, Debuchy, Holding, Elneny, Maitland-Niles, Coquelin, Nelson, Willock, Wilshere, Giroud, Walcott

Subs: Macey, Osei-Tutu, McGuane, Sheaf, Akpom, Da Silva, Nketiah

Good? Coquelin 🙂
    Mesut, Sanchez? Lazy

He’s gone for just the one CB

Things are improving

🙂 Micky …. so is Elneny a CB now? …. this just exposes how light we’ve become in the CB department

Spot the players in that team who are on:

The way up?
    Coming back from injury?
    On the way down?

Wow Micky if that is our team for today then I fear for our chances.

How often have they played together?
    Why Cech in goal, is Ospina injured?
    No 1st team players on the bench?

Enough of the skepticism – we will win right?

Odd team. Hope AW hasn’t thrown the game as Joel suggested earlier today

Erik

As GN5 correctly implied, the word Team hardly applies.

Still, they’ll be doing the introductions and bottom sniffing as we speak, so fingers crossed that goes cordially

29. Theo, Jack and Ollie 😁

30. Elneny played as a CB in preseason. Nice to see Coquelin back. Hope the youngsters play with gay abandon 😁

Really impressive start …. our players look hungry!

32. VP of Oz says:

red star might have been formidable once upon a time, but that was when Croatians played in their team

I do enjoy watching yer Nelsons & Co

I also wouldn’t mind a plate of that lamb and potatoes although It’d be nice with some mint sauce

Giroud is out of place amongst these quick footed youngsters. Nelson beginning to outshine Theo, he can beat players with technique

I told you Giroud was out of touch 🙂 🙂

Good heavens, what a glorious goal

Wilshere pulling the strings in midfield …. just what we’ve been lacking

Good work. Nice relaxed evening
    Have to do a boo for Coquelin

40. VP of Oz says:

Giroud scores some incredible goals

Just finished watching the game – for some odd reason I thought the kick off was 2:45pm (Canadian time) when in fact it was 1:00pm, fortunately I had it recording.

That was a very professional performance by an unusual team selection, but I must say to the large part it was impressive. It’s funny but Giroud looked completely out of sorts until THAT superb strike, he can score some super goals and that was among his best.

Walcott was, as usual, a misfit and was outshone by the youngsters, on the other hand Wilshere showed the youngsters what real quality looks and plays like.

Nine points out of nine cannot be sniffed at and makes our position as the favourites legitimate.

Well put GN5

A very enjoyable evening’s football.

43. Ant says:

44. fatgingergooner says:

I said at the beginning of the season that the EL could be a good platform for us in that if we lost games in the PL it gives us a chance to instantly get back to winning ways against sub standard opposition, and thus avoid runs of poor results. What I didn’t anticipate though is that we’d lose 3 of our first 8 league games! It will get tougher when the CL teams come in, but they’ve usually lost interest once they drop in this competition.

Wilshere once again head and shoulders above everyone on the pitch. I suspect he will be on the bench against Everton but may get half hour before a full 90 in the LC. I’m a bit uncomfortable with the hype around JW as we’ve been here before and seen him get injured. I also don’t like the idea that we are waiting for him to come in and improve us. It shouldn’t have to be like that as we should already have quality in the team, but part of me thinks he’s exactly what we are missing and would get in our starting XI right now. I’m not sure what that says about our current crop.

Rumours today of Özil wanting to go to United. If he and Sanchez do leave and carry on playing as sparingly as they are now then turning down £60m in the summer for Sanchez was a shocking decision. We’ve kept them and they need to be in the team and performing otherwise this season will be a non starter.

Not able to watch the game and only see the highlights.

Seemed entertaining and certainly an excellent result.

Lovely goal

the goal was hilarious. When Ollie did his trick I was sure the ball went behind the goal. Furiously I shouted ‘idiot’ only to realize that the ball was in. I think everybody was stunned, all oppo players just stood there 🙂 what a beauty Ollie, what a player, awesome

oh yeah, shall we have a post about pens we were lucky not to get against us? yesterday game could serve as an example 🙂

Eddie. Get writing.

What happened to Coquelin? On the highlights he appeared to suffer a head injury, was he subbed?

49. RC78 says:

I am really hoping for a EL win this year and I am glad to see that players are putting in a good shift in this competition.

Wilshere is impressing still so he may even push for EPL start soon
    Walcott is doing well – being decisive BUT yes he is frustrating
    Giroud is being his usual self – fighting and scoring

Some of our young lads are doing well and I was pleased for Debuchy.

On the goal – excellent build up and a bit of luck 🙂

Questions for the coach now:
    – Should Giroud start in the EPL?
    – What about Wilshere?
    – Will it rain?

My team for the week-end:
    Cech – Bellerin, BFG, Kos, Koli – Xhaka, Coquelin, JW – Ramsey, Sanchez – Giroud

no, he wasn’t subbed, but he got a player sent off, second yellow. He had a bump on his face from the elbow contact when they both jumped for the ball, but played on. I think he was rolling on the pitch a little bit too long…if he was the opposition player I would have been disgusted

51. fatgingergooner says:

I think the point of not taking so many players on EL games is to make sure they are fresh for the weekend. I would expect team to be

Cech
    Holding BFG Monreal
    Bellerin Ramsey Xhaka Kolasinac
    Özil Sanchez
    Lacazette

Assuming that Kos is out and Özil and Sanchez are fit. Iwobi may keep his place if he’s lucky.

so you don’t think we were lucky not to get a penalty against us last night??

staged, the geezer dived

55. RC78 says:

FGG – agree with almost all your points mentionend bove except the line up 🙂

Raddy, Coquelin was subbed in the 90th minute for another foul on him, he was replaced by Ben Sheaf.

Rodic elbowed him in the 80th minute leaving a large welt beside his right eye, I have no idea if that was why he was subbed – it’s possible that it swelled up and obscured his vision.

Heres an unexpected “best” for Arsenal – which team has scored the most headed goals in the PL?

2016/17
    Arsenal – 17
    West Brom – 16
    Swansea – 14
    Everton – 13
    West Ham – 13

2017/18
    Arsenal – 5
    Chelsea – 4
    Leicester – 4
    Man C – 4
    Watford – 3

GN5. That is a surprise. I always think we are weak in the air.

I agree Raddy it’s doing my “head in”?

Raddy, I read it this morning in Sports Telegraph – I have no idea how authentic their articles are and I haven’t checked any further.

The article also said that our heading is weak when defending.

62. RC78 says:

Away – we should always play BFG Giroud Xhaka El Neny – they bring height for defensive duties

RC78, I really like BFG but it seems that he can no longer play a full 90+ minutes. It was very sad to see him bending over gasping for breath towards the end of the Watford game and then at the end of the game he was statue like in the center of defense when they scored the winner.

He should have been subbed around the 70th minute.

We should use BFG off the bench when struggling to hold a lead. Hie is calm, clever but has completely lost any pace he once had. I think I could beat him over 50 yards.

I’ve got tears running down my cheeks. It’s the caption that makes it so funny.

67. VP of Oz says:

Back to winning ways tonight in the EPL
    I predict 3:0

Bit premature, VP.

71. fatgingergooner says:

Since 14/15 we’ve scored more headed goals in PL than anyone else. It’s not a recent development. Probably coincides with Giroud being first choice I guess.

Great finds chas.

73. fatgingergooner says:

Wenger admitted that his own contract situation last year affected performances, yet in his press conference yesterday he’s saying that the Özil and Sanchez situation won’t affect performances!

What!?

74. fatgingergooner says:

Just watched Eduardo’s 20 Arsenal goals. He looked unbelievable before his injury. Lacazette could actually do a similar job if we start finding his runs. His movement and finishing are both excellent but we just don’t seem to have the players in midfield to find him at the moment. Maybe things will improve when Özil and Ramsey come back.

FGG. The whole atmosphere around the club is unsettled.

The contract situations with players, the board room problems and the constant injuries combine to create negativity amongst the fans and I guess amongst the players.

If AFC are really going to sell Ozil in January, why not last summer? If his preferred destination is MU, it is very clever of MU to wait.

FGG. After years of having a somewhat static CF I guess it takes time for the team to look for Lacazette’s runs. It will happen. Xhaka has the passing ability as do Ozil, Sanchez and Wilshire.

77. fatgingergooner says:

I agree with a lot of what Arseblog has to say BR, and we’ve been saying for years that the system just hasn’t been quite right, but at the same time I do think that better quality personnel would’ve allowed the previous 4231 and the 343 we are playing at the moment to have been successful.

There were times when the 4231 looked balanced, most noticeably when Coquelin/Santi played in front of Koscielny/BFG. Am I to believe that if we had Santi/Kante in front of Koscielny/Alderweireld that the system would’ve still been an issue? I’m not convinced.

Same goes for our current system. Would we be quite as flimsy with Xhaka/Ramsey in front of Alderweireld/Cahill/Koscielny? I doubt it.

It’s easy to play fantasy football but the fact remains we haven’t recruited as well as we could’ve/should’ve done in the last few years. With the players we do have at the moment, I’m in agreement with the post in that I’m not sure we have 3 quality CB’s so why not put 1 extra midfielder in and dominate that area. If Coquelin and Xhaka were disciplined enough it could still work.

I do agree about Wengers style being slowly eroded and what we are playing at the moment isn’t exciting. Teams eventually figured our football out and we haven’t progressed at the same rate as some of the others. Modern football seems to be a lot about running and chasing endlessly without the ball so that you are closer to the opposition goal when you win it and can break quickly. Our game without the ball is one of the worst in the PL. We are very passive at times defensively and against Watford we got in the right defensive positions but stood a couple of yards off and allowed them to do what they wanted. Time and time again I see an opposition player run at an Arsenal defender and they back off so much that they end up in the box and suddenly we can’t make a tackle for risk of giving away a pen! Why not get tighter and tackle outside the box? Or double up to make it easier?

When we do get the ball its often laboured and slow, and the fact we’ve scored more headed goals in the last 3 seasons shows that we are now relying on crosses into the box because we aren’t moving it fast enough to unlock defences. I’d also be interested to see how clinical we are in front of goal over the last few years as I would be very shocked if we are not towards the bottom of the PL on that table too. Maybe that is an area where Lacazette can improve us and allow us to put games to bed early and avoid the kind of mess that happened at Watford.

It’s not all doom and gloom but there are a lot of questions this team to answer. I’m not sure it will be this season though as we are still dealing with the absolutely calamitous way we’ve dealt with 3 key contracts.

78. fatgingergooner says:

Well I’ve just looked at our conversion ratio to shots and it’s not as bad as I thought although it does seem to show that it’s an area that’s let us down over the last few years (apart from last season) as we’ve had more shots than most teams but not converted them as well as others have.

17/18

14/15

Shots 219 (2nd)
    Goals 71 (3rd)
    Conversion 17.9% (5th)
    Position 3rd

79. fatgingergooner says:

I guess we are always going to be towards the top of the conversion table because we have quality players creating and finishing the chances, and because we have the ball far more than most teams so can afford to be patient and work better chances, but for us to be 5th, 6th, 10th etc means that we are always going to fail to win the PL as the teams who finish 1st and 2nd in chances converted are also finishing above us in the final standings.

In other words, the argument that we’ve needed a better striker over the last few years is totally correct and until we get one who puts us top of the conversion table we’ve got little chance of winning the league.

80. fatgingergooner says:

Chelsea don’t seem to be struggling too much with Deeneys ‘cojones’. Don’t think he’s won a header yet.

Hope it stays that way. Deeney is a nasty miscreant.

Woop’s maybe Watford are not a flash in the pan beating Chelsea 2-1 at Stamford Bridge.

83. LBG says:

FGG striker stats tell us everything we have known for such a long time! Every so called goal scorer from Bendtner through Adebayor, Walcott and Giroud have been provided with hundreds and hundreds of chances. The problem throughout that period has been the conversion rate! Beautiful goals they have all scored ( except Nicolas) but never ever enough of them!

84. fred1266 says:

Watford giving Chelsea a fight

I’m watching Watford and frankly I’m in awe of their team work and team spirit, it just oozes!!

clearly Watford game was not reflected in the result. Or was fred drinking?

LBG!!!!! what about the goal against Spurs when Bendtner came on as a sub and scored with first touch of the ball? That was not a beauty? I was there, psssshhhh

I’ve got it! I couldn’t work out why the top pic has FK rather than CZ on the crest – football club.

hudersfield 2 : manu 0 🙂

ant – where is hudersfield? Good team!

90. fred1266 says:

I jinx it Eddie

91. Aaron says:

Everytime I get upset with our team in the last few years, I recall amazing futbol, great FA Cup victories, and think about how tough the EPL is. And, manure blowing through coaches, money and losing today to a team they have not lost to in 100 years.

Fred – no such thing, Aaron is right, this season is all nuts. Except for City

Last week it was that both Manc clubs had it sown up.

It was most satisfying watching Man U lose.

do you fooking write down everything I say here?? Even I can’t remember half of it

And yes, I was wrong, I was going to put £500 on ManU winning the league this season. I am delighted that I was most probably wrong.

goal difference 28 to our 2, oh dear, not sure if to laugh or to cry

what is Terry doing in a Villa shirt? Is he pretending he played for them too?

No, that would be idiotic.

99. fatgingergooner says:

It made me laugh everyone talking about United when they hadn’t played a team who were in the top half of the table. The Liverpool game showed their true level. City on the other hand look a different level to everyone else. It doesn’t feel like a flash in the pan with them at the moment.

100. VP of Oz says:

Ozil, “Ignore the noise and stay focused”

101. VP of Oz says:

Ozil quotes –
    Ignore the noise and stay focused

If you want, you can overcome all: Pressure, expectations, gravity.

It is definitely my preference to stay. It is such a great club and I have always said that I feel very good at Arsenal.

Some people look at my body language and think I don’t care. But that’s me. I won’t change my body language or my style of play drastically anymore.

I was never a guy who liked to be in the centre of attention. Sure, today people recognise me everywhere. But I always simply wanted to be with my people. It was like that in school, too. I just went there and tried to do my best. But in the back of my head there was always football. That was my life and my love. On the pitch I always want to be successful and do everything perfectly. That’s how I flourish and my attitude changes. I simply love to play

I have played for a few clubs, but to have my own song, like that one in Tokyo, is a unique thing for me. When I heard it for the first time I had goose bumps and I still get them. You just are really thankful for that amazing support.

Expectations on me were very high everywhere, because I am a player who can make the difference. You have to deal with that. There will always be criticism and there will always be praise. But what matters is what the manager tells me. I have said that numerous times. But what I can’t understand is when people say: ‘Look, he does not push anymore’ or ‘He does not run enough’. If you look at my numbers you can see I run a lot and I show a good attitude.

I simply love to live here. London is a world city. There is so much you can do. There are many different cultures here and I just feel very, very comfortable. The club is huge and I enjoy playing for Arsenal. Living in London is awesome. I’m proud of quite a few of my goals but that one against Ludogorets was like on PES! Passing three or four opponents and then scoring. When I watch it, I think it was the best goal of my career.

102. VP of Oz says:

If the Simpsons could predict Trump becoming president than I can predict the following –
    Within 20yrs, Ozil will be the coach of Arsenal

Oz- where did that come from??!! Ozil to coach?

matchday, that’s all that matters. 30 years ago in December we were playing Everton at Highbury and I was getting married. I should fooking go to the game

VP on fire last night.

Game day – looking forward to en enjoyable and tense afternoon.

There is a New Post