Time for a Change

Just a quickie…

Last weekend’s 15 minute collapse was horribly painful and worse, a return to the type of loss of control we have seen over the past few seasons.

But

Everything changed in one moment and it was a moment out of control of anyone in an Arsenal shirt. I write of the cheating Watford player and the awful refereeing decision made by Swarbrick. WE NEED VIDEO TECHNOLOGY IN THE PL.

I have no doubt that Arsenal would have won the game had the penalty not been given. We were comfortable and likely to score again, instead 3 points were lost and more worrying the fragile confidence built over the brief run of wins is gone.

And we would have 3 more points has Lacazette not been wrongly adjudged offside at Stoke.

A 30 second delay whilst a video ref assessed the footage and wrong decisions are reversed.

How can this work? Well, it is hardly a new discussion, is it? Do I care whether this technology is not available at all levels of soccer? No, I don’t give a monkey’s cuss. Do you? All I care about is that AFC stop being the victim of rubbish refereeing and diving cheats.

n.b. I am fully aware that Leicester would have been awarded a penalty when Mustafi brought down some numbskull but Cech would have saved it (as if :_D)

written by Big Raddy

39 Responses to Time for a Change

1. RC78 says:

It is indeed time to use video technology for certain game situations:
    – Penalty awards
    – Red cards
    – Goals awarded or refused and there is a doubt on foul/offside

We do it like in tennis or the NFL – you have 3 challenges for the whole game but you can only challenge on the above three situations. While the review takes place, the clock is stopped or the time is being accounted for and will be included as extra-time.

Plain and simple – job done.

2. RC78 says:

I will not miss complaining or discussing ref mistakes…

3. RC78 says:

Good post by the way

Thanks Raddy, not been around much and not commented since the Watford game. Probably good because I have little good to say at present.

Anyway I agree with your argument in this post. There that was the easy bit 🙂 After this I would say that the reason we end up discussing so many injustices that have cost us points is because we don’t dominate games and put them comfortably to bed as a club of our standing and resources should.

Truth be told I am a bit bored with Arsenal at the moment and trying to find other angles to explain our consistent failings. Not stopped supporting them, obviously, but I just don’t feel any excitement or eager anticipation of our next game anymore.

Once you have had a few years of hoping for something different, something new and dynamic, and then seeing your hopes consistently dashed, you give up hoping and drift into bored acceptance. Like FGG said the other day I am more interested in my dream team than Arsenal. Not good I know.

This is not meant as a direct besmirching of your post Raddy and your valiant attempt to look at things from other angles, just my general feelings. I have had those feelings for a while where I feel there is a consistent habit by many of attempting to deflect from our failings, particularly our managers, through convenient (at that time) comparisons.

Again not aimed at your post and angle here Raddy, and sorry as I know you did a new post to cleanse the negativity of the last one so I shan’t say anymore at present.

5. RC78 says:

Arsenal conceded the most penalties since 2016/7.

Man City looks tough to beat this year in both the EPL and CL.

Just a quick word on spuds stunning performance to gain a very impressive draw at the Bernabeu last night making them look, it has to be said, like a real team; like a team achieving all the things that we are not, it really was a first class example of top drawer defending, blau, blau, blau.

Well I was in the Berabeu when we the good guys, that will be the ones that wear the glorious red and white, beat those jumped up paella eaters and if you want to see an example of fine defending look no further than that great night when we achieved what no other foreign team had done in their history and that was beat them on their home ground, that’s not draw that is a win.

Oh what a great night, I paid 300 euros from a tout to get into the sell out ground, I would do it again — money well spent.

COYRRG

RC, I enjoy your regular squad analysis (although I don’t agree with a switch to a back 4 again) and FGG’s on the last post was pretty accurate for me as well. So here goes my tuppence worth.

With a back 3 I think we can either go 3-4-2-1 with 2 number 10 players (with goals in them) behind 1 top striker, or we can go 3-5-2 with 2 strikers, 1 holding midfielder and 2 midfielders that have licence and the ability to support the front 2 as well as operate slightly deeper.

I think we have 1 (possibly at a push) 2 seasons before the keeper position needs addressing, so not an immediate priority for me.

Right here and now we need a new commanding CB. Not one with prospects because we have Holding and Chambers for that but a proper drop straight in there, top class, captain material type leader.

I am not convinced yet on Mustafi as 1st 11 standard at the top level, and with Per retiring and Kos looking more like we will only get 20-25 games a season out of him this is a priority signing.

Our central midfield is too samey and lacks a proper holding midfielder player. I really don’t see much in the way of proper defensive attributes and physicality in any of Xhaka, Ramsey or Elneny and think they area all a bit too similar in their defensive make-up with this aspect of their games not being the priority in their DNA.

We need a proper top class holding midfield player as a priority and in reality we don’t need all the other above 3, only 2. I actually would have been happy to see him try Chambers in the role more this season (as it is looking like a transition one anyway). At least we will know where we stand come January. In the open market I don’t know who are the best options but I have reservations in many we are often linked with like Carvalho and Illiaramendi.

Sanchez and Ozil are gone in my thoughts for squad assessment. Lacazette may yet prove world class, (we still can’t be sure), but we need to play him and find out. Jack is world class for me if he stays injury free and can either take up Ozils number 10 role in the 3-4-2-1 or play alongside say Ramsey in the 3-5-2.

Iwobi is still just a good prospect for me rather than top class 1st 11 but can easily be Jack’s understudy so is a keeper, and these 2 combined don’t make me worry about finding a like for like Ozil replacement.

I am afraid I put all of Giroud, Walcott and Welbeck in the “good back up” bracket rather than 1st 11, so once again we probably only need 2 of them to allow squad space for a top class addition or 2 in attack.

You have to look at Welbecks ability to play the left siide number 10 as well as a number 9 as a good squad option, and Giroud gives us something different from the bench. There is however space (with Ozil and Sanchez gone and likely Walcott and Akpom moving on) for a left sided (preferably but not as a must right footed) number 10 player and another top striker.

Pay Griezmanns release clause and try and do a deal with PSG between Sanchez and Cavani, get the CD and holding midfielder and we would have a well balanced and top level squad.

In both systems you need a top holding midfield player and in a 3-5-2 you can play 2 from 4 of Cavani, Lac, Gir and Welbs, with 2 from 4 of Griezmann, Jack, Rambo and Iwobi playing as 2 ACM’s in front of the holding player. If we play just 1 striker then we can play 1 more of the 4 from the latter group.

We have a limited time to be decisive with this squad I feel and January will be an important time for us.

RC. Agree about City but is is early in the season. Another injury to De Bruyne and things may change. Similarly with Spurs and Kane, and MU with Lukaku.

We have been without Ozil, Cazorla and Sanchez on a consistent basis – things will improve (I hope)

GB. I feel the same about football as a whole; my passion for football (not AFC) is dwindling

I agree with that LB. This current spuds side is not as good as our previous sides and the one you mentioned there. Unfortunately though in the right here and now they are better than us and I couldn’t see us going to the Bernabeu right now and doing as well as they did. The problem for me is that our slip behind them doesn’t feel so temporary anymore.

We have a big game against them soon and that will be interesting to see where the 2 sides stand in comparison.

LB. €300. A bargain

Raddy, I kind of lost interest in the national team a fair while back and find football as a whole has a lot of unsavoury aspects these days so it is only Arsenal that keeps my interest in all things footbally, but my enthusiasm is seriously compromised even with them.

I have got to the stage where I just think any change at the managerial level is welcome, even if they turn out not to be the right one and we dip a bit. Anything just to break the groundhog day monotony. We may have to kiss a few frogs before we get our next prince. I have even started agreeing with Jamie Redknapp FFS.

GB. I am huge admirer of AW and eternally grateful for the wonderful experiences enjoyed following his teams. Sadly, in my opinion, he should not have signed the new contract – it was time for change.

So, once again, I agree with you.

Thanks Raddy, I am 100% for video technology. As far as I can see there are only positives … not a single negative unless you happen to support a team who profit from cheating.

It wouldn’t slow games down and it would take the heat off the ref. There will still be some situations where there is no clear cut resolution, in which case the ref can use his judgement in accordance with the laws of the game.

Also, I do not understand why ball in play is not timed. If we are lucky we may see the an hours play.

In 2014 the average time the ball was in play was 55 minutes.

This makes a mockery of the complaints about vid tech slowing the game down.

cheers raddy, nice little piece
    we would have won if the pen wasn’t given. Can I swear? No? ok, let me just remind you that RM were given a dodgy

Eddie. I have to disagree. Any penalty against Spurs is nailed on.

raddy, grow up 🙂
    you know that spurs should have had a pen awarded to them last night. Credit to them they did not sit and feel sorry for themselves. They are the team we would like to have.

18. download cv template for word

Time for a Change |

19. Thanks Raddy

I oppose video technology, especially when I walk into a shop.

The other day I was round my cousins house, accompanied by my latest bird, when she put on an old video of her wedding in which my latest beau noticed straight away I have more hair now than then?

That was easy to explain, having invented a miracle cure that I was keeping to myself, but that I was now 3 inches taller was a little more awkward? Now she knows why i was googling “nudist holidays were you can keep your shoes on?”

Video technology, as well as exposing me as a thief and Twat, would also sanatise the game further by reducing tension and the feeling of injustice. I like watching the likes of Conte and Pep acting like angry ballerinas and the sight of Morinio clashing with referees fills me with a joy known only to the “Agami”, a remote polygamous tribe found deep in the Bolivian jungle.

Besides, there is something even more important for opposing such technology. At present, Arsene needs an excuse.

Terry 🙂 I was all for technology but Terry has won me round and changed my mind 🙂 Don’t even bloody start with Wenger still being the right man for the job though Terry. Even your powers of persuasion will struggle with that one.

As an aside Terry they have nudist camps where you can keep your shoes on up near me….all except for winkle pickers which are banned due to some people taking things too literally.

Stadium of Light half empty for the visit of Mourinho’s boring United.

Great stuff Terry

23. Of course Arsenes still the right man for the job GB.

Many years ago I was involved in a terrible incident. A members Club I use to attend was a victim of a horrendous arson attack, made worse by the fact that at the time I was in there, otherwise I would not have given a shit.

As I began clambering out of the dungeon area, punching and kicking the odd Judge and accidentally touching the odd lingerie clad women on the way, I spotted a man who I knew after a blindfold incident held a grievous grudge, so sumized he was the arsonist.

After threatening him with the blindfold and rubber implement encounterd on his last visit, I demanded that since he had stared the fire he would have cased the joint for the nearest fire escape. He oblidged and I escaped, though my leather trousers were finished.

For his standards, Arsene is in a crises, so been part of its evolvement, he is in a perfect position to know the escape route.

Terry. Magnificent. Just the idea of a hairy Greek in leather trousers makes me laugh

25. wally says:

They use VAR in the MLS. It’s hardly the panacea one might hope for. It does correct or give some correct calls but it is hardly perfect. There have been some wowsers.
    And it depends on the eye of the beholder. It is being used to make the call? To verify the call? To determine if there is enough evidence to overturn a call?

Cheers, BR.

Match could have gone either way…………

Time for a DVD…………………..

Game changes on appalling dive and corresponding refereeing decision……………………..

See, I told you 😀

There are two types of Arsenal supporter…….

those who think Troy Deeney hit the nail on the head……

and those who would like to hit Troy Deeney on the head with a nail.

That’s my contribution to the fun on here for today. 🙂

Byyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

There is a New Post

victim mentality, no class.

35. fred1266 says:

Hi BR I totally disagree, VAR is a waist I see the referee using it to determine offsides goal and they still getting it wrong

Currently serie A and Bundesliga using it and the amount of wrong decision given is shameful

Seems like they have a bunch or ordinary people using it