“Donny” come to The Emirates

The Rovers were formed in 1879, 138 years ago and turned professional in 1885, they have spent most of their years bouncing about in the lower leagues of English football and currently play in League 1 after gaining promotion from League 2 in 2016/17. Their ground is the Keepmoat Stadium which has a capacity of 15,231 which interestingly is bigger than Premier League Bournemouth’s which only holds only 11,360.

They along with Stockport County hold the record of playing in the longest ever competitive game while playing in Division 3. The match was tied after 90 minutes and remained tied after extra time, the rule at the time was that the game would carry on until one team scored but after 203 minutes the game was still tied so the decision was made to stop the game and have a replay which Doncaster went on to win 4-0.

They won their first major honour when they beat Bristol Rovers after extra time to win the Football League Trophy.

We’ve only played Doncaster 8 times in our history; our first game was on November 30th 1901 when we played in the 2nd division.

The last game was on Dec 21, 2005 in the League Cup, the game was tied 1-1 at full time and Doncaster went ahead 2-1 in the 104 minute and it was not until the 121st minute that Gilberto Silva scored the equaliser – we went on to win via penalty kicks.

Our team that day was:

Alumnia, Cygan, Senderos, Eboue, Djourou, Silva, Hleb, Song, Van Persie, Abeyie and Lupoli.

My Team…

Our full record:

The only time we lost to Doncaster was in 1905, 112 years ago and they have only scored 3 goals against us – so it would take a very brave person to place money on Arsenal losing this game; being a coward I forecast a big win for our kids.

Written by GunnerN5

105 Responses to “Donny” come to The Emirates

Thanks GN5
    Thanks Rasp
    Who am I, where am I
    Appeared to have missed a day tardis style

Doncaster are managed by Fergie’s son Darren. Does it matter? probably not, they are shit

Looking at the GN5 XI, it worries me playing any 1st XI’ers, so it’s the defence that really caught my eye. Do we have any Tony Adams’ coming through from the yoof set up?

Cheers, GN5.

I’d like to see Chambers and Holding either side of the BFG,
    Jack in the middle with Elneny plus Maitland-Niles and Reiss Nelson either side.

There have been some odd results for us in this competition against lower league opponents in recent years but thankfully they have come away from home.

Hopefully there’ll be a few goals and some interesting performances from the youngsters.

Thanks GN5.

I’d also like to see the majority of the team comprising youngsters and squad players who seldom make the first team, along the lines of chas’ above. We can have a couple of big guns on the bench, but we should have the quality to win with a second string 11.

6. Zee says:

Well done GN5, it looks like Big Raddish has a rival for the pre-match! 😀

Yep, agree with most of that

I think AW will go for:

—————Ospina

Chambers, BFG, Holding

Elneny, Wilshere, Iwobi, MN

—-Walcott, Giroud, Nelson

8. Zee says:

For those who may have had a passing curiosity for the exchange between Corbyn and Belli, it went something like this;

Corbyn:
    It was a pleasure to meet you.[Hector] It is better not to say what we were talking about, he [Morgan] would not understand it. Very good game on Sunday.”

Hector:Thank you very much Mr Corbyn and of course, it’s between us! It was a pleasure to meet you too!”

Really exciting stuff — Poor old Piers dos not know what he missed! 😀

9. Zee says:

I don’t remember if I have already said this — well blogging is so repetitive — 😀 — but just in case, AW said earlier that the team he would put out would every similar to the team against Köln, which was;

Ospina Bellerin Holding Monreal Mertesacker Iwobi Elneny Maitland-Niles Walcott Sanchez Giroud

Subs: Macey Mustafi Nelson Kolasinac Reine-Adelaide Wilshere Akpom

That seems a fair mix of experience and youth team players to me, altho he later said he would consider Chambers too.

Not bad either way, as I still like Chambers and feel he has been messed about somewhat.

10. Zee says:

“be very = every” tut tut

11. RC78 says:

Ospina – Debuchy, BFG, Holding, Monreal – Walcott, El Neny, Wilshere, MN – Giroud, Nelson

I presume the Corbyn-Bellerin exchange at the GQ Men of the Year awards was about wanky, know-it-all supporters, hence the deliberate exclusion of capital M small organ.

The twitter exchange betwen the two was after the event in response to capital M small organ tweeting about being excluded.

13. RC78 says:

Akpom could even start ahead of Nelson

14. Zee says:

RC78,

I hope that Nelson gets more minutes, personally.

You could be right about Akpom starting ahead of Nelson, but I get the feeling that the boat has sailed as far as he is concerned.

He is, of course, in the First Team squad, and I have no particular reason for thinking Akpom is not going to make it – but … he does seem to spend a lot of time on loan, without pulling up any trees – so, I guess we will see.

Apparently not been screened at all on uk telly

Any idea as not on liveonlinefooty either

16. fred1266 says:

Nice writeup Chas

No TV coverage here either – the best I can do is listen to the commentary of Arsenal Player.

I’m crap at picking teams so I bow my head to those that have better ideas, strangely I would also prefer more kids in the team.

Fredster
    I posted it, GN5 wrote it. 🙂

I’ve got many US channels but I cannot pick up ESPN3

Hi Fred – Chas adds all the fine images and edits out all of my errors and deserves a lot of the credit.

22. RC78 says:

Prediction: 2-1 with Walcott and Giroud on the scoresheet

Wenger has ruled out Debuchy.

Thanks GN5, excellent write up. I too would like to see Chambers and holding either side of BFG. I might be wrong but I think Holding operated on the left side of a back 3 at Bolton and Chambers is suited to the right.

It is hard for AW to fit everyone in and give them all a game at the moment, but I would love to see Wilshere take up Ozils role and use this as an opportunity to see how it goes. We may be losing Ozil anyway and we all know Wilshere’s inherent quality, if he keeps injury free. I am not so sure his ship has actually sailed and we could be looking at a world class solution to the (possible) loss of Ozil right in front of us, but we will not find out unless we take the opportunity at the right time to find out. This feels like one of those opportune times.

Arsene Wenger has provided a team news update ahead of our Carabao Cup third-round clash against Doncaster Rovers.

The Arsenal manager offered the latest on Danny Welbeck, Mesut Ozil, Mathieu Debuchy and Calum Chambers.

This is what he had to say:

on Danny Welbeck…
    Danny has a scan today, we don’t know how bad his groin injury is but he will certainly be out until the international break. Coquelin as well. Debuchy is coming back slowly.

on Debuchy not being involved against Doncaster…
    No, no.

on Ozil…
    Mesut is training again, but for tomorrow no [he will not feature]. He has a little inflammation of his knee.

on Calum Chambers…
    Yes, he will be involved against Doncaster. Jack Wilshere is involved too.

on the make-up of the squad…
    Yes [it will be a mix], but it will be a similar team to the one that played against Cologne.

Read more at https://www.arsenal.com/news/team-news-welbeck-debuchy-ozil-chambers#6sGZGskmZtE1pPPp.99

I’m with you all the way on Wishere GB – he has had his career sabotaged by injury and I really hope that he can have an injury free season so he has the time and space to show off his skills.

Zee as far as I’m concerned Big Raddy has no peers as his PM’s are simply superb and he also has a far better understanding of the team selection.

I stepped in to cover for him while he is enjoying a walk in the Italian mountains he will soon be back in his spot.

I’m happy to be a substitute any time he needs a break.

28. fred1266 says:

G5 have you tried ESPN play app once your cable provider show ESPN they you can log into the app, the app is also able to work on a PC

Not been around much to blog recently but I noted the recent posts so thanks to those guys for them. I totally concur with the concept Rasp mentioned that the strongest team doesn’t always constitute the best 11 players and that balance in the side is critical.

To be fair this is something that Rasp mentioned as much as 3-4 years back and it was aligned with the debate about us playing players out of position too frequently and the side, despite its strength player for player on paper, all too often looked out of balance and disjointed.

I know some don’t like it but I place huge responsibility at AW’s door for this as a long term self inflicted damaging practice, and feel it has been one of the biggest contributors to our inconsistent league form and failure to win a title in recent seasons.

I actually think Arsene has assembled a pretty good squad in recent years, one that is better than realised, so credit to him there. However I don’t think he has assembled the squad that well on a consistent basis, and although I don’t demand a league title as a matter of right, I do feel that at least 1 title has been ours to win in recent seasons and this lack of consistency has let us down.

Here’s hoping he gets it right from here on in this season.

sorry, it meant to read more like I don’t think he has assembled and put that squad together in an effective balanced match-day 11 on a consistent basis.

31. fred1266 says:

Walcott in the score sheet I seriously wondering if that will ever happen

In some good news Ox was his same old self yesterday

32. Zee says:

My goodness, Rasper, according to GB you say the same things every 3 or 4 years. What’s with you man? Get with the flow!! 😀

— “To be fair this is something that Rasp mentioned as much as 3-4 years back”

Actually — it did not stop GB repeating it, of course! 😀

How are you Zee? All is well I take it. A bit upset that you appear to be coming down with an entourage of professional chaps that all look like extras from the cast of Vikings and I am not around to meet up.

Do let us know when your next expedition may be and I am sure we can sneak a bourbon or 2.

That point I made Zee was more to emphasise that our problem areas (or at least how some of us perceive them) are nothing new. It is probably the chief reason why deep down I feel AW will not progress the team further in it’s ability to challenge for titles despite always looking at the squad and thinking we’ve got a real chance. A Leopard and all that.

I end up in a contradictory mood swing between a lack of belief to genuine hope……..still nothing that a couple of bourbons with a rather large Americunian can’t sort out 🙂

I’m obviously not with you GB as, unsurprisingly I suspect, I think Wilshere is an over rated albatros who should be sold to Turkey at Christmas to help fund the purchase of Lemar.

It’s OK Zee … no one takes any notice … and why should they? 😆

Fred, I’m not a huge Walcott fan … but he scored more than 20 goals for us last season … quite a few of which in the lesser competitions … so expect a hattrick from him this evening 🙂

You may be right LB and I do like the look of Lemar myself. I just have a nasty feeling that Jack may come good with his injuries and end up giving 3-4 high quality seasons elsewhere. By giving him a go in a nothing cup to see what sort of Jack he is now I feel we have nothing to lose. I think he is an Arsenal boy so I am sure, if he still looks like he has the ability, we could work out a contract based on him being available, i.e injury free. I thought he looked sharp last week.

Someone just put up this clip from the League Cup game in 2005 which is referenced in the post………

39. fred1266 says:

And am a hub Walcott fan but officially realize he just isn’t good

GB

Just to be clear, nothing would please me more than if Wilshere played a blinder tonight, scored a hat trick and made me look a fool.

We shall see.

LB, I think it’s odds on that Jack will be in the starting 11, I just wish I had put more thought into my crazy team selection in the post.

Re Jack

I reckon he’s thick, and that will always make him do what he did the other day.

He skilfully glid past one player, we all oooh’d, he then overdid the next touch and what should have been a dribble and a pass became a totally unnecessary 50:50 into which he hurtled at top speed.

On that occasion he didn’t sustain injury, but sadly, it’s only a question of time.

Fred

Love this line “officially realize he just isn’t good”

I’m definitely going to become more “official” with some of my thoughts. I’m way too wishy washy, weak even.

GN5

As you know I really enjoy trying to guess the team that AW fields but I have to be honest and admit that I have never got it right once, in all the years AW has been at the club, not even once.

Do I care, not really, its just a bit of fun.

Don’t worry LB, I have never got it right either. Probably because I have a different team selection in mind than AW that is better than his because I obviously know better 🙂

On the flip side Wenger has never got one of my team selections right either so he is hardly pulling up trees :).

Never did know. Is the idea that whoever pens a PM tries to guess the team AW selects, or sticks up the team they’d pick.

I guess from the conversation it’s the former, although on the odd occasion I’ve been dragged into PM action I’ve always done the latter.

With 100% inaccuracy it has to be said.

Micky
    Are you talking about this innocuous little challenge from which Jack won a throw in?
    His “next touch” that he “overdid” was the one that actually beat the player that you suggested he’d already “glid” by.
    I also think “hurtled” and “top speed” are slightly subjective. 🙂 🙂

Ok, not exactly how I remembered it, but no need to get all la di da and accurate about things 🙂

Mind you, impressive sleuthing

Ok, since we’re talking about Jack and team selections, if Jack starts as one of the central midfield two, then I think he needs a proper dm/anchor man alongside, so on recent sightings, that would be M-N for me

A year to the day, 20th Sept 2016, Ant and I had a marvellous evening’s entertainment down at the City Ground here in Nottingham.
    Ainsley Maitland-Niles was shoe-horned into the team that night in the right back position. The Jeff had a stormer. 🙂

OOoooh …. Jack looks world class in that compo of his part in the Cologne game 😆

Is Jeff Reine-Adelaide (monster raving loony) injured? …. or has he become shit? 🙄

Mark Samson has been sacked??? … what on earth is going on there. He’s only just been fully endorsed by the FA?

Looking at that video reminds me of the key qualities I like about Jack. He is a player that always tries to get us on the front foot going forwards when possible and tries to move the ball intelligently and quickly so opposition don’t have time to reorganise.

We are often guilty of slowing it down in the transition into attack and then left with multitudes of opposition players facing up to us. Jack seems to get them twisting and turning and facing in different directions and he is a master of little quick one two’s in tight spaces.

He is almost Santi like in his ability to retain the possession even with oppo players in close vicinity and closing him down, and uses that little surge of pace he has over the first 10M’s to burst away from opposition.

he also seems to have learned (probably from Fabregas) that 360 degree awareness of where the opposition are even as the ball is coming to him and without taking a heavy first touch. He often does that little quick double look thing that Fabregas did.

If he could stay injury free and iron out that unnecessary (at times) extra touch then latching onto it and moving the ball away just as the oppo player sticks his studs in Jack’s ankle then he looks a player with a skill set that we would have to pay an awful lot of money for in the open market.

… it appears there has been evidence of ‘inappropriate behaviour …. the bbc are now reporting it as Mark Samson ‘the Welshman’ ….. I don’t recall them saying he was Welsh before he was disgraced 😆

LBG, I you’re reading …. is your spare ticket available for the West Brom game?

GoonerB … have you read the report that Jack wants to go to Wham in January … probably fake news … but as you know from personal experience, he can be a fractious character and may well be peeved with the club.

No horning of shoes tonight if you please Chas. If you could kindly pass on the message to monsieur Wenger.

Jack was also showing a keen eye for goal at the end of the 2015-2016 season and I would love to see him and Nelson playing as a double 10 behind Ollie. I would actually like to see AMN in midfield with Iwobi, who I also thinks looks really good in Ramsey’s position. He too is assured bringing the ball forwards and still covers his defensive duties.

I would like to see :

Ospina
    Chambers, BFG, Holding
    Bellerin, AMN, Iwobi, Monreal
    Jack, Nelson
    Ollie

Not sure whether to give Bellerin a rest but who else can play there?

Who is Mark Samson other than a Welsh pervert?

GB

That team would be fabulous to see

Saw that report Rasp. As you say it could be nonsense but AW clearly still rates him and as a born Arsenal lad he should be easy to persuade otherwise if AW gives him a few games. As I say he looked sharp enough to me to and we have more chance of getting him to stay with us than Ozil. At his best I think he can potentially match or even surpass Ozil and I think the new system with 2 number 10’s behind a 9 could suit him perfectly.

Telepathic purist thinking Micky 🙂

Chas have you still got that purists coat of arms you made up for us a while back?

64. Quality GN5

I recall going to the 1-0 in 1987. We had already done them in the first leg so the game was a bit of a dead rubber. I only went to the game because at that time I was down on my luck and the only escapes were drugs and wearing a leather jacket. I also believed watching Arsenal expanded conscious thought.

Not sure, but I think Rocastle or Davis got the winner? The game was crap, but I do remember thinking that Gus Caesar was a great prospect and feeling happy that I didn’t look like that lead singer from UB40.

i watched the Chelsea game In some pub in Thessaloniki. In attendance was a large group of the Thessaloniki Arsenal supporters Club. They were good lads but I am very suspicious of Northern Greeks. Not hairy enough for my liking and I don’t think they are capable of straddling a Donkey? Also, there Greek is a bit posh and none of them had the look of a proper Greek, whos face should betray they have experienced an uncomfortable moment in a communal shower.

This game is another chance for some fringe players to stake a claim, just like Caesar did.

Micky … he is … or was, the manager of the England womens team

You are a gem Terry, keep us smiling my friend we/I need it.

67. Sorry have not been around to comment on all the previous posts GN5, but for some reason my new lady friend thought that I needed a holiday?

Has anyone else noticed that once one gets older women treat you more as a “Companion” than an exciting lover or dangerously mysterious boyfriend? Dont get me wrong, the only time I broke into a womens house to deliver Milk Tray, she had fallen asleep leaving the telly on so I sat at the end of the bed transfixed by late night cartoons, leaving an hour later and forgetting to leave the chocolates, but come on, weres the action?

Im knackered after that break. Miles and miles of walking, visiting museums and old ruins that once housed an erect column? The only man who wouldnt have been exhausted from such excursions is Sanchez and I bet he wouldnt have seen an erect column either..

Haha Terry. I know what you mean because I have a lot of dealings with the northern Greeks. They prefer Camels to Donkeys, which is of course where I come in. A lot of them seem to claim to be related to Alexander the Great you see (so see themselves as a bit posh and royal) who sent camels back to Macedonia and northern Greece from his time in Persia.

They turn their nose up at the humble donkey in favour of the camel Terry. Kind of like the English equivalent of a blue blazer and cravat versus a primark tank-top.

Sorry Rasp?
    You mean they put a Welsh Pervert in charge of the Wimins Football Team? Kinda asking for trouble if you ask me

Transplant 🙂

Ospina, Chambers, Mertesacker, Holding, Wilshere, Elneny, Nelson, Maitland-Niles, Walcott, Sanchez, Giroud.

Subs: Macey, Monreal, Willock, Dasilva, Iwobi, Nketiah, Akpom

Terry, I thought you were the eternal singleton. Can’t believe you have a lady friend to take you on holidays you hate to the extent you would prefer a week in a malaria infested jungle treehouse setting surrounded by cannibals.

Don’t you remember those heady fun filled single holidays of decadence and debauchery all on your own….providing you could get the late night pay as you go channels working after a bottle of cheap local brandy in your 3 star hotel room.

If your circumstances change again Terry and you return to the glory years then don’t let it happen again. I think I might be able to help you by something I was inspired by in a doctors surgery lavatory earlier.

In that cubicle you have the cord for the light switch and another one for the alarm to use if you are in trouble. Under that one is a little red sign that says “Pull only in an emergency”. I could get you a badge of that made up for you to pin to your chest on your nights out and you will never have to face those dreadful couple holidays ever again.

Going to try this, unless anyone has a better idea

GB ROLF

GN5
    You got 9 out of 11 – pretty good, i reckon.

Not so bad as I thought I got 9 out of 11 but not all in the right positions, happy to see Jack in the starting 11.

Look at the bench 6 out of 7 from the academy team.

Oops our comments must have crossed Chas.

78. ha ha, GB, I honestly didn’t expect that kind of holiday. As soon as we go there she seemed to go on some weird “tourist” mission?

What’s the point of all this sightseeing crap? We had a TV in our bedroom and one of the channels was a History one.

She’s lovely and I really like her, but she won’t be hearing from me again. Anyone who prefers viewing a pair of old Turkish slippers in the Attaturk museum over sleeping with me has crossed the line.

79. Bloody hell, that’s a strong side. Gus Ceasar would struggle to get into that.

Hope Jack has a good game

Don’t like the look of that link I put up. Makes you have to touch too many iffy looking buttons. Can’t afford to catch something nasty

Anyone help?

Great goal and Theo showing what he can do with a control and finish we would all be raving about if it was Messi.

1-0
    Feo from Sanchez pass

Terry 🙂 I’ll get your badge ready.

If that control and finish had been from Harry Kane, we wouldn’t have mentioned it ever again.

Definitely not Chas seeing as he was once on our books.

Really? Learn summink new everyday.

Bloody hell you’ve got me second guessing myself now Chas. I thought he was.

Chas
    Just popped in to see score. Are you watching on that link?

How’s Nelson playing
    Our Man of the first half?

Yes, but don’t hold me responsible if it shags your tele-electronic device. 🙂

I’m only kidding, GoonerB.
    Every knobhead knows he’s one of our own. 🙂

Okaayee it works
    Just seen the goal. Very nice
    Cheers Chas

Nelson looks like he’s playing with only one arm and only one eye.

No, seriously he looks like he’s settling in nicely though a little stuck out wide with only Feo for company.

He did have a fine effort just before the break.

Hopefully he’ll get the whole game and be able to use his talents when Donny tire, though I’d imagine he’ll get subbed on 67 minutes. 🙂

Yep that’s him at the back 2nd from the right. The kid at the front on the left changed his name to Ron Moody and grew up to play Fagin in Oliver twist.

Damn, link gone all hardcore on me

Thanks for report

Enjoy game

You gotta pick a pocket or two, boy…

We’ve been really shit in the 2nd half.
    Then again, if Feo had got his second with a simple finish, it would have been all over.

Iwobi for Walnutt