Now we travel to Stamford Bridge to play Chelsea

Chelsea Football Club was founded in 1905 and since that day their only ground has been Stamford Bridge.  Since then they have had no less than 39 different managers go through their turnstiles.

The following does not make pleasant reading but the facts are that Stamford Bridge has not been a very happy hunting ground for Arsenal in the Premier League era. We have not won a game there since Oct 29, 2011 and have only gained 8 points in the last 13 seasons – so our expectations should be minimal.

Here is our Stamford Bridge record.

From 1993 to 2004 –

P12, W5, D4, L3, GF18, GA13, Pts19, Pts% 52.78

From 2005 to 2017 –

P13, W2, D2, L9, GF11, GA27, Pts8, Pts% 20.51

We fared a lot better away from 1907 to 1992 in the Division 1 era when we spilt the games equally. (The points are based on 3 points for a win).

W18, D19, L18, GF73, GA69, Pts73, Pts% 44.24

Roman Abramovich purchased  Chelsea Football Club in 2003 and the money that he has pumped into the club and squad heralded a change in their fortunes and a major shift of power in the Premier League.

My team.

Now here’s a slice of very pleasant memorabilia.

May 4, 2002: Chelsea 0-2 Arsenal, FA Cup final

Ray Parlour had scored just one goal all season before unleashing a screamer from 25 yards to give Arsenal the lead in the 70th minute. Freddie Ljungberg then added the second with a spectacular solo effort, curling in a shot from outside the area to make sure of the victory. A few days later we beat Manchester United 1-0 at Old Trafford to secure the Premier League title and a famous Double.

Oct. 23, 1999: Chelsea 2-3 Arsenal, Premier League

This game looked well out of reach for Arsenal after we conceded two headers to trail 2-0 against a Chelsea side that had not conceded a league goal at Stamford Bridge that season. But substitute Kanu single-handedly lead us to an improbable victory, scoring a hat trick in the final 15 minutes to stun Chelsea and silence the crowd. The winner came in the 90th minute after he came through the puddles to round goalkeeper Ed de Goey near the by-line before scoring from a tight angle with a shot that sailed over the heads of two Chelsea defenders.

Sept. 21, 1997: Chelsea 2-3 Arsenal, Premier League

This proved a key victory in Arsene Wenger’s first title-winning campaign and one of the finest moments for long-serving left-back Nigel Winterburn. Dennis Bergkamp had scored twice to leave the game level at 2-2 before Winterburn unleashed a stunning 25-yard strike with his left foot that curled into the far top corner. Arsenal went on to win their first Double under Wenger.  This game has very special memories for GN5 as it was the last game that I ever watched with my Dad – while he was on a visit to Canada.

Our last PL game against Bournemouth was a very positive sign and even knowing of our misfortunes at Stamford Bridge I still remain positive and hopeful that we will gain yet another memorable win at Stamford Bridge.

Written by GunnerN5

130 Responses to Now we travel to Stamford Bridge to play Chelsea

fan.bloody.tastic : “Nick Hornby goes all così fan tutte as Fever Pitch becomes an opera”
    As much as I hate musicals, an opera is sheer class. An opera about The Arsenal. Love it

Cheers, GN5.
    Lets hope we upset the odds today and bring home some bacon.

You did this to me last time GN5 ie caught me rising later than usual.

Once again, excellent read. Many thanks.

I think it was LB who, commenting on my suggestion in my post that Sanchez starts, said maybe as an impact sub. I’ve been thinking that one over and still cannot decide.

Other than that, because it’s Chavs away rather than Bnmth home, I’d beg Aaron to hang deeper, move Mesut back into the more traditional No10 role and leave Sanchez and Lac up top alone

ROLFING here trying to imagine Fever Pitch the opera

Very plummy low baritone voice
    “Ohhhhhhh fuuuuuuucking hellllllllllllll
    Steeeeeeeeve McMahon says only one minute leeeeeeeeeeeeft

5. fatgingergooner says:

Rumours Özil is out injured and a doubt over Ramsey. Could be a blessing in disguise if true.

Cech
    Koscielny Mustafi Monreal
    Bellerin Elneny Xhaka Kolasinac
    Welbeck Lacazette Sanchez

A potentially solid and hard working line up that would have pace on the break. Without Özil I’d worry a bit about our ball retention but for me, we should be playing in the counter anyway, so this would be more suited to that.

Thanks for the historical PM GN5, although the stats are not easy reading.

Somehow I can’t reset my expectations to ‘minimal’ … I generally believe we can win before the whistle blows, and today is no different.

If we win today, we could rise to 5th above pool and the totts … isn’t that enough incentive 🙂

7. Red Arnie says:

wow, wonderful PM, GN5. 🙂 Fever Pitch the opera. ha ha ha. 🙂

3 at the back? hmmm. sounds like Micky’s AAA to me. COYG.

8. Red Arnie says:

let us not forget this year’s FAC final and Comm Shield. Neutralk territory notwithstanding.

Thanks GN5. Like your set up but it seems to be being reported that Ozil is out injured. Iwobi would be a natural replacement but for a big game I would have thought Jack in Ozil’s role would be ideal. He looked sharp the other night but I am right in thinking he is not named in our squad so we can’t use him?

The only other thing is I think I may drop Ramsey for Elneny.I think an Elneny and Xhaka partnership may just be a bit more solid and would tidy up that midfield area a tad more with us retaining more possession. Ramsey gives us more thrust but I would look at that as an option from the bench as the game progresses,

GoonerB
    I know you always hope you’re wrong, well you are. 🙂

11. Red Arnie says:

Arsenal: Cech, Koscielny, Mustafi, Monreal, Bellerin, Ramsey, Xhaka, Kolasinac, Welbeck, Iwobi, Lacazette. Subs: Mertesacker, Sanchez, Giroud, Ospina, Walcott, Maitland-Niles, Elneny.

12. Red Arnie says:

Chelsea: Courtois, Azpilicueta, Cahill, Luiz, Moses, Kante, Fabregas, Alonso, Willian, Pedro, Morata. Subs: Caballero, Rudiger, Hazard, Bakayoko, Zappacosta, Batshuayi, Christensen.

Jack not on the bench. Maybe he’s not yet fit enough to play 2 games in 4 days?

14. fatgingergooner says:

Iwobi in for Özil. Interesting. Sanchez still not convincing the other night even though he scored a quality goal. Plus, is he at full fitness?

My worry about the line up is, are there enough goals and creativity in that team? We know we need to defend well, but we must have a threat going the other way and I think I would’ve preferred the unpredictability of Sanchez in there.

15. fatgingergooner says:

Looking at the line ups, I’m 3% confident we can get a positive result.

Hi FGG, but what a supersub to bring on later …..

Ozil must be injured.

18. VP of Oz says:

such a doomer FGG, I’d go upwards of 5 to 6%. I’m doubly more positive than you

All those Ozil doubters are going to get a chance to see what they miss without him today.

Doh, just read up and everyone and their dog has mentioned Ozil out injured.

Just read up even further.

It’s not that I prefer Welbeck to sanchez its just that playing Welbeck ahead of Sanchez was exactly what I expected AW to do.

Although I admit it was hardly in the Nostradamus league of prophetic visions.

Yikes no Mesut
    Biggest days for Aaron and Alex for me
    Former needs to be positionally responsible and Alex needs to urrr, well…..Mesut

LB
    Agree with you on Mesut. First name on my teamsheet

Right then, let’s do it. Come on you Gunnnnnnnners

Wow, really relaxed sounding Arsene

Sorry, that should have read Alex needs to be Mesut

Very excited for him. One of my big hopes

25. Afternoon all

Thanks GN5 for the pre-match

Excited for this game 🙂

Early reports suggest that our midfield is no better than against pool … Ramsey and Xhaka allowing the chavs to walk through us … what do those watching think?

bloody cosmic
    picture gone and we’re not talking pilot error

BBC Sport ….

“The early signs would suggest that no, Arsenal’s midfield two haven’t changed their approach. Aaron Ramsey plays a neat one-two on the edge of the Chelsea box but when the ball is turned over it only takes one pass to play Willian in on the Arsenal back four. No protection at all.”

Rasp
    I’m blind here
    I can however tell you, Walkers Cheese and Onion are not what they used to be. Very disappointing indeed

30. Oooooh a couple of very good chances there

Have you tried the oven baked ones … they’re lower in fat, but crispier and drier … I prefer them 🙂

For us peaches?? … who was on the end of them?

Got it … Danny missed a header (he should have buried) and Lacaz shot straight at the keeper … encouraging signs ..

Back to the crisps ….

35. Here’s a stream from Twitter

… and talking of crisps … Nacho has crocked Pedro … bad news is, that means Hazard may come on 🙄

We have had a couple of good moments rasp but there is something that feels just a bit more balanced and disciplined about Chelsea that makes you think about those all too frequent games where we lose by 2 to 3 but have mostly been in the game and match them statistically, in all but the score. I hope it is just nerves talking.

Sounds to me like we just need to take our chances GB …. but then unfortunately I can’t see the game .. peaches link didn’t work 😦

39. Can’t you watch it on Twitter

Sounds exciting … and like there are going to be goals in this game …..

My computer won’t let me … but thanks peaches …

Tescos finest goats cheese and chilli jam in front of me micky. Worth a bash☺

Thanks chas for clearing up the Jack thing. Read it somewhere so they obviously got it wrong. Surprised he is not on the bench at least. We are missing a lot if experience for an away fixture at SB.

43. Chelsea having time on the ball but not giving us any although we are finding space in the final third

44. Jack being saved for Caraboa cup ……… probably worth going just to see him

When does that start?

46. Great shot from distance from Xhaka

47. It’s Wednesday night Rasp

48. fred1266 says:

Why xhaka holding Luiz In the box, that just stupid will he never learn

Are we at home?

Let’s hope they don’t bring 20,000 without tickets 😆

No joy but thanks Peaches
    If we can hold Chelsea till 60mins, the power subs will do the business for us

Good to hear our boys are holding their own. We need to concentrate either side of half time …. jus saying 🙄

53. Ramsey off the post and Lacazette skies it!!!!!!!

54. Alonso v Bellerin is a bit harsh

The BBC have us leading by 10 shots to 4 …. we just need to bury one or two ….

56. Rambo running rings around Cesc 🙂

Great skills from iwobi and Rambo in that move

58. Agreed GoonerB – both coming out of really tight situations with the ball 🙂

By the end of the half I feel a bit happier as we grew into the game more. Possibly even slightly shaded the first half but these top of the table games are decided over 90 minutes and we will need a lung busting and focused second half if we want to walk away with the 3 points. Lots of positives though and Rambo currently bossing the midfield popping up in all areas in an all action performance so far reminding us exactly how good he can be.

60. fatgingergooner says:

I was worried we wouldn’t create or score opportunities. We seem to be doing the first part well but would really like a good opportunity to land at Lacazette or Sanchez feet (if he comes on).

Dare I say my confidence level has shot up to well over 10% now. Who’s a doomer now!?

Great to hear GB …. lesson to be learned … don’t take any notice of the BBC text commentary …. add to that Chris Sutton is a complete knob!

They have had a one on one with our keeper already and close to a couple of others. This is where we have to be careful with the cover at the back when we are in possession and be patient in our attacks so we aren’t exposed to this quick break. That looks the more likely way we will be undone if any.

Once Chavs had tried to blast us away in the first ten with a quick start we got a foothold and then took over the midfield.

Fear we needed to get a goal from one of those chances though as Conte will undoubtedly change something at half time and it will be up to the players to find a solution to it quickly.

Always feel that when you are on top at half time but goalless the only thing you can ask of your players is more of the same and it’s hard to second guess what the opposition will do to try and change it. If I was Conte I’d possibly be putting Hazard on.

So as Arsenal manager I’d be telling Rambo not to get carried away upfield too early, and thinking about swapping Iwobi for Alexis to make Kante a bit more concerned.

Rasp, I would have Chelsea as favourites, certainly before the game. They are at home and the club looks a bit more settled than ours at present where there is a bit of a circus surrounding us.

Having said that it really made me laugh when the studio commentator on sky, (forget his name), asked Thierry 2 minutes before kick off “can you mention one glimmer of hope for Arsenal Thierry?”. I don’t think TH really knew what to say but how about “well, do you mean apart from the fact that neither squad has changed too much recently with both clubs adding in the summer in a fairly similar way and that Arsenal have won 3 of the last 5 encounters”.

Idiot

65. fred1266 says:

Anyone else finds mustafi gets turned a bit too easy

Almost 65 minutes ☺

And sanchez on for lacazette

68. Getting tight…..need to keep the ball a bit better, keep playing conservatively, especially with Alexis up there now a player we know can make something out of nothing.

Although if we are going to do that think I’d prefer Ollie on with Alexis as someone to bounce ball off and clear to keep it up the pitch.

69. You have your wish GiE …….. Welbeck injured 😦

70. 🙂 Arsenal app gives the goal 😳

Enemy for iwobi. I imagine to release Ramsey further forwards to play off Giroud as well as sanchez

Don’t know what Conte is complaining about if it wasn’t a straight red it was a second yellow.

And to be fair he could have had a straight red for the overhead kick on Koscielny.

Some will say that takes away flair from game but the laws say endangering opponents safety, both Luiz challenges did that.

75. fatgingergooner says:

A proper away performance by the sounds of it. Happy with that point.

Good performance, shame we couldn’t nick a win.

But got to be reasonably happy that we are not a million miles away from the other top 4 competitors, 5 games gone away trips to Anfield, Stamford Bridge and Britannia out of the way. 7 points in the bank not the greatest but feel like we have some breathing space to put a run of wins together now:

H West Brom
    H Brighton
    A Watford
    A Everton
    H Swansea

before we space City and Spuds in the next two.

77. Excellent away performance against one of our rivals. Very happy with that, Chelsea controlled the first 15-20 minutes but then we matched them.

Shame David Luis didn’t get sent off earlier 😉

Good point

Good point Chas 🙂

80. fatgingergooner says:

We’ve had a better start to the season than Spurs, yet they are talked about as challengers and we are considered an also ran.

They’ve played:

Newcastle a
    Chelsea h
    Burnley h
    Everton a
    Swansea h

Yet they’ve only collected 8 points.

We’ve played:

Leicester h
    Stoke a
    Liverpool a
    Bournemouth h
    Chelsea a

And we have 7 points. I would consider our fixtures far tougher so far and would expect us to get far more than the 8 points they collected in their first 5 fixtures.

As GiE has pointed out we have a decent run of fixtures now. If we can win those games then we are right in the mix.

Briliant by our boys …. can’t wait to see the highlights. It sounds like we got it right tactically … the belief must be returning to our players …. bring on Doncaster :lol:.

Can’t comment as I saw about five minutes, so lucky you lot 🙂

In the big scheme of things that was not too bad. GIE’s 3.27 echoes my feelings. The most encouraging was showing our away from home big game management and discipline.

84. I’ll see if I can find you some highlights micky

85. Haven’t watched so I don’t know how good these are

86. And some more

87. Changing the subject

88. fred1266 says:

He came on for countiho so played CM TAA played RB whole game

see, I don’t mind if you lose, draw or win if we play the way we did today. That’s the team I love, not the losers from Anfield. Will we see this team again?

90. Let’s hope so Eddie ……….

you is very chatty today peaches 🙂 I like that 🙂
    i had terrible problems getting a half decent stream, but from what I could see we look a far better outfit than the chavs. The fans faces reflected that, the Away Boys were awsome

Thanks Peashes for clips.

Looked so much better than the dreadful commentary I was following.

Oh, and, Xhaka’s left foot. Nice.

94. fred1266 says:

Hi Eddie wear are u from again

fooking moon fred, why?

96. fred1266 says:

Always thought you live in England

I do, but I have no money left to subscribe to Sky.
    I am Polish 🙂

Well, nice to see we’re all in high spirits

I know in the grand scheme of tings, a draw is ok, but I cannot help feeling a little disappointed. Guess I just like beating Chelsea too much as I probably wouldn’t feel like this if it was Southampton for example. Bit weird eh

99. fred1266 says:

For some strange reason I feel once you live in England you attend all the games 🙂

If only Fred

101. Red Arnie says:

ha ha ha ha ha ha. what a great game. pity we could not score!

102. Red Arnie says:

Eddie. if only the club had better support from the fans, I feel such performances would be more frequent. unconditional support. IMO.

hopefully things will be better this season.

103. fred1266 says:

How LB are the tickets to expensive, hard to get?

104. fred1266 says:

For player rating i hope monreal is given 10, the way he intercepted the ball or even break up play was brilliant made it easy for xhaka and Ramsey didn’t have to do mi defending

no fred, in England it rains all year round and is cold for 10 months. At my age 2 hours exposure to the elements could be fatal. Not to mention the mental torture it is likely one would endure

could we use fred’s 12:20 as the new post 🙂 it must be the longest comment he wrote, ever

Good call Fred, I agree, Monreal should have been named man of the match.

Just in case you didn’t realise, Eddie is pulling your leg…….we don’t get two whole months of warmth here in England.

I think the cost of tickets ranges from £40 to £60 and higher per game, so for the average person that can be quite expensive and for a young person, well the thought of spending that amount of money doesn’t enter their head, it’s just too expensive, so the majority of people who go to watch Arsenal are middle age to old.

The site seems very bare without a cat sliding across the screen in the morning.

ha ha ha LB, this year we skipped the summer – spring to autumn without much sunshine

It is still probably the cheapest entertainment in UK. Cinema + pop corn, theatre and concerts are even more expensive. Yet millions are going, so why there are less footy fans amongst the younger generations?

110. fatgingergooner says:

Could it be that footballers these days come across as horrible money grabbing mercenaries and the obscene amount of money they earn offends the younger generation who are struggling to get their own finances in order in this ridiculous country?

Or maybe it’s something else! 😂

maybe you are right fattie. But it could be the technology age that plays a part too – the younger citizens do EVERYTHING on their laptops. My neighbour told me that her daughter seldom speaks to her boyfriend, they are texting!!

While I sympathize with the FGG point, I think Eddie is closer to the truth

For boys, gaming provides instant reward, with effectively no failure because they simply push re-set and start again.

90 minutes of football is very boring for this kind of mindset

Sorry, morning all, and what a bright sunny one it is too.

micky – footy could be fooking boring for anyone, not just the geeks

Morning ….

…. New post ….

Banning draws would be good

Going to pens at 90 wouldn’t half raise tensions both on and off the pitch. Reckon you’d get far less people leaving early as well

If you had the option now of going back in time to the 90th minute at The Bridge and going for pens ie forfeiting the one point in the hope of three, would you take it?

Of course I would without a moment’s thought

117. Zee says:

I know poor old GB has problems with his cloven hoofs, but I would like some clarification on the following, as our lad Iwobi has enough problems;

GoonerB says:
    September 17, 2017 at 3:08 pm
    Enemy for iwobi.

Did you perhaps mean ‘enema’ for Iwobi? 😀

118. fred1266 says:

OK Eddie lol

We hope my next trip to the Emirates you will attend that game