1-0 Down, 3-1 Up.  MOTM: Arsene Wenger.

Here are some brief “feelings” on the back of last night’s game, pulled together from my own thoughts as well as picking through the excellent comments on here from genuine experts.

1. Back three/four. I think it’s wrong to judge a system by the personnel. Throw Koscielny and Mustafi into yesterday’s starting XI and I’m sure things would have looked different.
  2. However, perhaps we looked better second half BECAUSE of the switch. Thoughts?
  3. I’ve stated my concerns over our midfield pairing of Xhaka and Ramsey. Chief amongst my concerns is the lack of back-up, and now heavily underlined by the injury to Coquelin. Has anything from last night changed the thinking here? I always have liked Elneny’s quiet, unfussy, business like approach to the game. I thought he was excellent.
  4. Maitland-Niles moved more central, and we also saw the welcome return of Jack. I reckon we saw enough to think we have real quality in depth waiting in the wings.
  5. Sanchez, oh Sanchez. How would he react to the boos on Saturday and even having to start last night? My answer, he plays against Chelsea.
  6. Alex Iwobi. Love the guy, but I think his role lies further up field as back-up to Mesut, rather than in the deeper Ramsey role.
  7. Arsene Wenger played a superb 15 minutes at the break. A rare half time substitution, a change in formation, together with a considerably upped tempo from the boys from the first minute of the second period means he gets my MOTM.

Thoroughly enjoyable game. We saw many exciting things. Bring on Chelsea. Cannot wait.

MickyDidIt89

48 Responses to 1-0 Down, 3-1 Up.  MOTM: Arsene Wenger.

Ha ha Rasp, the 1-0 Down, 2-1 Up was from an old fanzine back in the 80’s, but yes, technically you’re correct

Thanks 🙂

Forgot to add how much I think I’m going to like this European journey. Long may it continue and we see serious game time for the likes of Jack, Iwobi, M-N and of course, Mr Nelson there at the end.

I guessed that was the case Micky … but I thought you’d get bored with all the Smart Alexes telling you you’d got the score wrong.

Thanks for the midi post Micky.

I can only see positives coming from the game. Arsene will have learned something about his B team that’s for sure.

Sanchez is every bit as committed as he was last season.

Jack needs to be eased back and given game time whenever possible.

Iwobe also needs game time to build consistency.

In M Nyles we may have found an option for defensive central midfield

Giroud is better as an impact sub … for some reason he’s not the same player when he starts games

Nelson likes a step over

Ospina takes risks that will get him caught out on occasion

Merts is solid and can play a part in our defence

…. and loads more I can’y remember 🙄

Yay, like the feelings, Welbeck to start, Sanchez from the bench works best for me. I like the idea that Sanchez finds himself having to work for his place we should get more out of him like that.

6. fred1266 says:

What you all thought about Walcott, he was offside a lot

7. jjgsol says:

I thought that Walcott was starved of the ball for much of the first half. Also, it seems to me that Cologne doubled up on Bellerin and walcott to stiffle them. Walcott was screaming for the ball over the top and it did not come.

It was less so in the 2nd half.

It was the same for Giroud for the whole game, very little service or opportunity.

Sanchez looked listless and tired.

Just before he scored, I said to my friend next to me that he looked unfit. I still think so.

Holding was a big disappointment. But he is young, and has time. He surely needs to learn how to pass the ball forward.

My first live game for 5/6 years. At half time I thought it was one of the worst halves I have seen them play, reminiscent of some of the dire games I say in the 60s and the 70s

Does anyone else remember the game against Leeds at home when only 4ooo people turned up? I think we lost 4-1.

8. All Arsenal’s fault

9. LBG says:

Jigsol- May 5th 1966 Arsenal 0-3 Leeds. Crowd of 4554. Don’t think I was at that one, but remember another low crowd, mid week, freezing cold v Leeds when Billy Brenner kicked George Eastham in the head when he was on the ground.
    Peaches – hope you don’t follow that idiot John Cross!

10. I follow lots of idiots, all part of the fun isn’t it 😉

11. This is lovely from a Cologne fan. I can understand wanting to be there, I bought flights and a hotel for Barcelona, no chance of a ticket but wanted to be there.

Cheers, Micky.

Didn’t watch the game either live or subsequently, so can’t really comment.

17. Holloway Boy says:

Hello all,

Long time reader, and posting for the first time with some thoughts on yesterday’s game. And some points that I think no one (and I hasten to add I love reading this blog and respect all who wrote on it) has made.

Firstly as a long time season ticket holder and long time attendee, Koln fans yesterday almost made me miss the atmosphere and edge that used to characterise games back in the 60s when I was a young lad. No set allocations, who was going bring numbers etc and to top it all, Koln fans were the most part fantastically good natured and fun.

On the flip side, I think it was absolute shambles from the club. We are no longer in the era of bringing big numbers and ‘taking ends.’ We are lucky this was for the most part a bunch of good natured Germans. If this had been a More hostile set of supporters this could have been very ugly indeed. Any readers here who were present when Chelsea ‘took’ the Clock End when they came back up in the 80s may remember some horrible scenes in the streets around Highbury. We are lucky this was an affable set of supporters. My key gripe is, is that this was not just Koln bringing big numbers as Chelsea did, or Villa also did when they won the league at Highbury (yuck, I’ve always disliked the Villans). It was that the club have such poor oversight that they sold tickets directly to them.

Talking to various Germans last night it seems a huge number bought red memberships and bought tickets on the exchange. Are the club naive. Is their technological capability so pooor that they didn’t notice a huge influx of members from the Cologne area. Are they so desperate for sales that they don’t care and just want the ticket sales. Whichever you think is the answer it reflects poorly on Arsenal Football Club’s ability to think and plan and put the best interest of their match going fans first.

This is a sharp contrast from a club who refused to pen fans on the terraces with steel fences back in the 80s. To that end I am absolutely furious with the club. There were Koln fans all over the Clock End yesterday and the club want to have us believe that all of the extra attendees came via touts and Arsenal fans selling onto the German fans. While I can’t prove it, this explanation just doesn’t add up to 10,000 fans. And, as my brother informed me there were plenty of Koln fans in club level too.

Shame that Arsenal, always the byword for well run allowed such a shambolic show. On the other hand, very happy for Arsene and the boys for such a cracking second half. All credit to AW for good substitutions and tactical changes. I would love to see him lift the trophy and finally win something in Europe with us.

Thanks again for such a wonderful blog, I just wanted to share my opinions as a long time Admirer of this blog. Love the team, love the manager, hugely disappointed by the administration of the club.

Morning Holloway

“I love reading this blog and respect all who wrote on it”

You lost my respect right there 🙂

From the armchair, I thought the Cologne fans were fantastic. I may easily miss something, but haven’t heard of anything more than a scuffle.

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said “Are the club naive. Is their technological capability so poor that they didn’t notice a huge influx of members from the Cologne area”

That is the answer. Technology. All done electronically, so no, a machine simply processes cash irrespective of origin or destination of ticket

19. Sustain the helpful job and producing in the crowd!

I agree with barn

H Boy – please don’t make your comment first and last. This blog needs input from new bloggers as the ‘old’ ones know each other too well for my liking.

The club doesn’t care, you are right there. I forgot to renew my silver membership in May, their electronic reminder went to junk. When I asked them to renew and explained what happened they told me it is too late, I have lost silver membership that I was waiting for for almost 10 years. Bastards.

Morning all and a warm welcome to Holloway Boy …. don’t just read in the future …. get stuck into us in comments.

I agree with a lot of what you say regarding the detached nature of the relationship between the club and the supporters these days …. I don’t want to feel like a customer or a commodity.

In the end, the game was a great success. The police took a calculated risk in proceeding and it paid off …. but …. had there been more trouble in the ground and god forbid some panic and people getting crushed we would all be assessing the game differently.

Cologne supporters entered the stadium without being searched. They brought in flares and drums. The next day a bomb no larger than a drum went off in the underground. Like everyone I crave the atmosphere and freedom we enjoyed in the 1970s and 80s. …. but that era was also tainted by violence and unhealthy rivalry …
    there is a rise in social unrest across Europe and we know that this is epitomised and focused in football.

23. VP of Oz says:

what impressed me the most was that Koln is not that successful of a club and in fact have not won a game this season and sit on the bottom of their league and yet their fans support their team win or lose. Even after the game finished and they had lost, they were still singing and supporting.

I think Tyskland barn fotbollstrojor barn pretty much sums up how I feel about it all

Ha ha ha Chas

It’s really hard to argue with anything Barn said 🙂

Thing is, Cologne fans could only buy tickets by getting red membership, then hovering up tickets on general sale ie we didn’t want them.

I think.

Bottom line for me is, if I thought it’d be like that, I’d be far more tempted to go more often

VP

Agree. Yesterday I had my occasional look at other Arsenal blogs.

Dear God, many just post utter misery day in day out. Just go and do something else with your sad tragic existence. What a complete waste of their lives.

27. Red Arnie says:

Lovely feelings, Micky. 🙂 and a great title, Rasp. 🙂

Agree with all of that. But, just because too much agreement is not good for health, a couple of things to add.

First, praise be to the stewards and the fans for handling a tricky situation with dignity and class. But questions nevertheless need to be asked.

Second, AC Milan is looking good, almost as good as the good guys. Look forward to meet them in the finals. 🙂

28. Red Arnie says:

Micky and VP. Agreed, Save the sad souls, I say! And dare I say, that includes some of the former stars in this space as well,

29. Red Arnie says:

That, BTW, is a top top comment, Rasp. Sad thing is, we live in a world of intolerance where no one listens to any opinion other than whatever mirrors their own, I think.

30. Red Arnie says:

welcome, H Boy. 🙂 🙂 🙂

Arnie
    People are cretins. Down with Democracy, I say.
    I think 🙂

32. Red Arnie says:

ha ha ha. Micky. 🙂

33. Red Arnie says:

democracy? what is that? 🙂

An illusion, but it does appear to give the cretins a warm gooey feeling, and shut them up

Hey Arnie

I’ve just had a brilliant idea about seating arrangements and ticket allocations in order that we can have loud germans more often.

I’ll save it for next week on a dull day as I need Chas for a picture.

Ok, no rain, off outside.

36. Red Arnie says:

brilliant plan, Micky. 🙂 I dont mind the noisy Germand teaching our moaners a trick or two. 🙂

37. VP of Oz says:

A perfect match tonight, which I wish I could have played! But only if they’d let me play 45 minutes for each team #effzeh #AFC pic.twitter.com/6QYZKGdB8q

— Lukas-Podolski.com (@Podolski10) September 14, 2017

Loving some of the names on here.

39. LBG says:

Spot on Holloway Boy. Welcome

Micky

The club have said that as soon as the tie was announced that they stopped selling memberships.

Do we believe that? Flick a coin.

42. Red Arnie says:

ha ha ha, Chas. That is how Koln supporters deceived Arsenal, did they? 🙂

MWG tomorrow
    We win we are above Newcastle, we lose relegation zone.

Arry Redknapp sacked by the Broomies 🙂 Rosie probably got some kicking today

micky – I have just noticed your ‘people are cretins’ 🙂 🙂 they are indeed 🙂

NEW POST

match day and no big talk? I don’t know

oh I see, all behind sofas already 🙂 Mine is a brown leather sofa, best for hiding, hideous but solid