Life without Sanchez

So before talking about options for life without Sanchez lets just talk about what happens if he stays. Personally I think this is rather easy. He lines up as the left sided of our double number 10’s (with Ozil as 1st choice to the right of centre) behind our new boy Lacazette. That front 3 should have creativity and goals in it and would be exciting to watch. It could be a title defining front 3 in a formation where they all compliment each other. There is also excellent back up to each of the front 3 players.

In essence I hope Alexis stays but this is far from certain and the most recent rumours are of him demanding £400,000pw. This could just be paper talk of course with no basis whatsoever, but if it were true I am giving it the thumbs down. At that point I am looking to get us the best deal, but what is that?

Probably the worst deal would be a straight cash deal with an EPL rival. A straight cash deal would be better with an overseas club. Probably the best deal would be a swap with another big club. If it were Munich could we nab Lewandowski in return? One of our bloggers described Lacazette as a true 9 ½ so could he adopt the left sided 10 role behind a prolific 9 like Lewandowski? Ditto with Aguero. Could that happen?

Both of those latter mentioned deals would still leave us looking pretty strong with a lot of fire-power even without Alexis. Other possible considerations could be Sterling or De-Bruyne but for some reason they don’t appeal to me quite as much.

With all the Sanchez talk there is another player issue that, although receiving some media coverage, is flying slightly more under the radar. We are in danger of losing Alex Oxlade Chamberlain, a player I really like. It is hard to believe that he has been with us since 2011 yet is still only 23 years old.

In many senses he hasn’t had a dissimilar pathway to Sanchez had to their respective 23rd year. The stats for both are not hugely different, where Sanchez was with Udinese to 23. Sanchez has slightly more favourable stats but then I have always maintained that AOC has been a slight victim of covering a multitude of positions, so a significant amount of games would have been in less favourable positions that would allow him to boost his goal-scoring stats.

Sanchez really only started to thrive as a goal-scoring wing forward from his 23rd year when he moved to Barca. It is time to nail down a regular position for AOC or risk losing him. He was excellent at right wing back but I am still not certain this is the position where we will see the best of him. Similarly I don’t think it is the position he feels is really best for him. We have Bellerin, who is excellent there in our back 3 formation, and I am sure we can find other alternative cover there.

I say that if we lose Sanchez then it is time to unleash the Ox. Give him the opportunity that Sanchez had at that same age to show the world that there is a world class left inside forward in there waiting to burst through, one that as his confidence increases in the position is full of goals and pacey attacking intent.

Is it a risk? Some would say yes and that we need to get some big foreign player to replace someone like Sanchez. But there is a risk there as well. Even some celebrated names have historically struggled in the EPL. There is as much risk in any player coming in as there is in one of our own changing to a new role.

Back up would be required, but Welbeck is adept from the left attacking position. We may need to bring another in though. Perhaps a player that can cover this position but could also cover Ramseys more attacking of the central 2 role. I like the look of Lemar at Monaco but I also like the look of the lad Golovin from CSKA that we have been linked with. World of football describes his strengths as dribbling, acceleration, flair and passing. What is not to like? Even better when listing preferred foot their answer was both.

I wouldn’t be unhappy if AW released AOC and just see if at 23 he is primed to become our own English Sanchez. There are no guarantees in football and sometimes you just have to be brave enough to take a chance on a player and put your faith in them.

Written by GoonerB

135 Responses to Life without Sanchez

Thanks GB … so many points to consider.

I have some sympathy with AW here re The Ox. If we give him game time at the cost of a more proven player then many would say “why aren’t you playing your best team?”.

AW did give Theo the chances and he’s not cut the mustard in my view. I do like the Ox, but wish he wouldn’t keep coming out with the I want to play centrally stuff … his best games were at the end of last season when he played as a wing back when we reverted to 3 at the back.

As regards Sanchez, a front 3 of Sanchez (left) Lacaz centrally and Mahrez on the right would be very potent. Ozil could play centrally behind them with Ramsey and Xhaka in the holding role.

… but we are forgetting Welbeck …. too many options 🙂

2. Life without GoonerB.

Unthinkable. You’re going nowhere young man.

3. Yes of course, let wenger give OX a chance to prove himself. sanchez is demanding for much. is he ronaldo or messi.

4. optimist hablia says:

I don’t see Sanchez moving anywhere in Europe, may be China (laughs). I don’t believe the Chilean is asking for £400,000pw. We all agree that, and it is understandable why, Arsenal must improve his contract. In case I am wrong and Sanchez insists on what the club will struggle pay then he should be allowed to go, Arsenal can bounce back without him. But I am cock sure Alexis will stay and Arsenal will give him a decent pay.

Excellent comment Big Al 🙂

Rasp, just to pick up on a couple of your points. If you play Lac, Mahrez and Sanchez then play Ozil with Rambo and Xhaka deeper you don’t have enough players left to form a back 3 with 2 wing backs, unless we are changing formation again.

I really only want Mahrez as an Ozil replacement if Ozil is leaving otherwise I think it is a purchase based on just liking a player rather than purchasing what we need. I think we will find the old problem of trying to accomodate too many similar players otherwise, and then getting into the old shoe-horning business with certain players being forced to operate outside of their best positions.

I have never taken to Ox in the centre more withdrawn roles. He has too much pace and directness in his strengths to waste them in the more controlling areas of the pitch. The wing back role suited his strengths but I feel the left inside forward would as well.

I personally feel that we should have won at least 1 EPL title in the last few seasons and it is our own fault we have not. I know many will disagree. If we had won that EPL title I think the fans would currently be more relaxed about developing a player in a new position where it may take a season before they are up to top level. Most teams go through a redevelopment phase in certain cycles but if they have just come off the back of successful periods it is more accepted by the fans.

Because we have flattered to deceive our fans want instant answers now so this possibly has a detrimental effect on say giving the Ox a chance in a role, or the playing time allowed to players like Iwobi and those young players sitting behind him.

My sympathy for the manager and board is more limited because of this. I do feel that there is potentially almost a domino effect that ripples down, and whrere we could currently be in a situation of allowing some development with the fans more relaxed about it, we find ourselves in a situation of fan unsettlement that requires more instant solutions.

Thanks GB, if that is the case, then why is Theo in the squad? I don’t want to be cynical, but if we keep Theo and The Ox, I can only view the purchase of Lacaz as a replacement for Sanchez who must definitely be going…

… and what if we keep Giroud as seems to be the case? Personally, I’d like to keep Giroud, but he wouldn’t be starting many games.

This is the Arsenal 1st team squad as shown on Arsenal.com

Iwobi
    Lacazette
    Perez
    Sanchez
    Walcott
    Welbeck

Oops – Asana should read Asano and he is out on loan.

Asano is on loan to Stuttgart for next season (he was there last season) … we can’t get a work permit for him. This is not an EU rule, it’s our own stupid regulations 😦

Not sure why Theo is in the squad Rasp. It could be that there are no suitors for him. it could be that despite his deficiencies AW sees him as a good off the bench option. His goals to game ratio is not bad. every squad needs impact players that will not kick up a storm if they are not regarded as 1st choice, and maybe Theo has become that player for us. It could make him a useful commodity if that were the case.

If you upgrade all the forwards to better ones then you get problems with those not playing, who want to leave after 1 year. maybe Theo will not be 1st choice and will accept that but chip in with a useful 15+ goals a season as an impact player.

looking at options (if Sanchez goes) maybe Ollie and Danny could be 2nd choice 9’s without much to choose between them in pecking order, but then Danny could also become a 2nd choice left sided 10. Maybe Perez is off so AW then sees Theo as a useful experienced 3rd choice number 9.

One thing is for sure GB, we have to offload some players or fall foul of EPL financial regulations. I wouldn’t be surprised to see quite a lot of changes to the squad above before the TW closes.

13. fred1266 says:

Just read Sanchez wanted 400k a week is he insane

Agreed Rasp. Theo could be a useful experienced impact player but with this FFP it might be that we can’t have a £100,000kpw player that is 3rd / 4th choice in the squad and maybe we are better off having a youngster take that berth at lower wages. Akpom or Nwakali or Malen maybe. It could be that Theo becomes part of a cull and trim exercise.

Fred, could just be paper talk. conversely there were reports from Chilean media sources that Sanchez would accept the offer put to him and stay. I have heard that the Chilean source of this is known to be fairly accurate where Chilean players are concerned.

Thanks for an excellently thought out post, GoonerB.

Far too much footbally-type knowledge required for me to comment.
    I hope Sanchez stays. Won’t be happy if he goes to Citeh.

Lacazette looks decent on youtube. Sort of counter-attacking style maybe. Hopefully with enough quality to take half chances against parked buses.

Apols if someone has put this up before

16. Top stuff GB

Life without Sanchez? There comes a time in our lives when we must mourn the loss of innocence. Up until the age of 15 I still believed in Father Christmas and the Tooth Fairy, so would curse Santas name for not bringing me a present and welcomed tooth decay.

This all changed when Liam Brady left for Juventus. All of a sudden I saw the world in a different light. Road Runner was no longer a cute fast running Cock but something I would like with a rich sauce and John Craven went from been the favourite uncle type to someone I would like to see involved in a very nasty fist fight. In which he lost.

As Brady produced magical performances for Juve and David Price made square passes for us, my disillusionment grew. It was then I first became interested in sex and money so to save time combined the two. This issue dogged me in later life as after dating the girl of my dreams when she suggested it was time to seal our union I blew it by pronouncing “yes honey, I’ve bought my wallet”.

Brady went from strength to strength, and we went from Price to John Hollins. After a particularly embarrassing 5-2 home defeat to Spartak Moscow, I decided I would now con people for a living so commenced my studies in Accountancy. I also demanded an end to Communism.

In 1985 as we floundered in the league and Brady won some special award for services to Italian football, I became obsessed with the idea of robbing a bank, taking everyone hostage and demanding that unless Liam Brady was flown over, resigned for Arsenal, and agreed to a sex change paid for by the bank, I would have no choice but to release the hostages.

I was literally 5 minutes away from putting my plan into action when during our home game against Villa I became enthralled by the performance of one our youngsters, a certain David Rocastle. There was skill, speed, desire, and hunger in his performance. I went away thinking “finally, there’s hope”.

George Graham came soon after and the rest is history. I guess my point is that it will be a big blow but nothing to demand he change his name to Alexia or threatening to release hostages

The Ghosts of the Thirties are Stirring.

17. Herb's Army says:

Hi GoonerB.

So normally, I’d be writing quite balanced comments, but there I was the other day riding the coat-tails of someone else’s anger, foaming at the mouth and babbling all sorts of incoherent rubbish…
    Have I got that right?
    On the plus side, it wasn’t as cruel as comments made by ‘AA’s self-appointed moral watchdog, who is never trite or boring because he has 1000’s of creative ways of saying the same thing.
    What is balance?
    When Arsenal beat Palace 2-0 at the Emirates last season, Perez played on the right, Iwobi played behind the striker in the ’10’ position.
    Martin Keown said it was the perfect balance, the most balanced side he’d seen Arsenal play for a long time.
    We never saw that team play together again for the rest of the season.
    I find it really strange that anyone would support any of the current regime at Arsenal – (although I give GN5 a pass, because he grew up in North London during the war. Respect and loyalty were cherished values in a culture still heavily under the influence of strict Victorian values).
    Evaluating the manager’s performance in isolation, Highbury was a cosy set-up full of Arsenal people. A stadium that epitomised everything about Arsenal’s character. It was this cosy set-up that was the spring-board for all his early success. He inherited the best defence in the country as well as Dennis Bergkamp. A few minor tweaks was all that was needed to make the club a force again.
    Don’t get me wrong, the tweaks he did make were huge game-changers, bringing in Vieira and Petit was a master-stroke, the pace and skill of Overmars, then a couple of years later adding Henry and replacing Overmars with Pires, the energetic and unpredictable Ljungberg, it was football from an unparalleled plane.
    A level of football most teams can only dream of playing.
    But it’s as though that brand of football belongs exclusively to Highbury, because it has never been replicated at the Emirates.
    The odd one-off game, two a season if we’re lucky.
    I think it’s simply that Arsenal were far easier to manage at Highbury than at the Emirates, because suddenly everything is magnified and becomes a lot bigger, and I think the manager considerably underestimated how big the leap would be.
    Part of me believes that he still hasn’t fully grasped control of what is now a huge administrative organisation, that he has unwittingly taken himself out of his depth. After all, this is his first time operating an institution the size of Arsenal, so it wouldn’t be a shocking revelation. But If that were to be the case, then we’ve all been duped.
    Or maybe it’s something even simpler and scientific, like pitch dimensions. Though eleven years is long enough to acclimatise, so that isn’t a valid excuse.

sss

Word press just ate my last comment.

Herb,

Yes I grew up in Highbury during WW11 and we were taught to proudly show respect to our soldiers and elders and loyalty to our country. However I’ve never extended those values to Arsenal’s managers, on the contrary I felt that at least 50% of our managers were absolute idiots who could never accomplish anything.

I believe that Arsene Wenger is the best manager I’ve seen at Highbury in 70 odd seasons and I’m delighted that he has been given the opportunity to continue his tenure. His record will stand the test of time and he will be celebrated as our best ever manager.

To suggest that I only support him out of old fashioned values of respect and loyalty is way off of the mark and shoes just how little you know about me. Or was it an intended put down of my football knowledge or intelligence?

21. Herb's Army says:

GN5,

No it wasn’t a put down of your football knowledge or intelligence.
    But here’s the difference between HC and AW –
    Chapman made Arsenal the biggest most powerful club in world football, and virtually from scratch. I accept George Allison continued and profited most, but the vision and structure was Chapman’s.
    Arsenal have never been anywhere near that status since, but one might argue that we were getting much closer to that target immediately prior to leaving Highbury.
    Our revenues and commercial value might have shot up astronomically since moving stadium, but from a football point of view, Arsenal have significantly regressed.
    Chapman is by far a better football manager.

Herb,

I have no way of judging HC as he was before my time but I fully respect his achievements. I can only make meaningful comments based on my personal knowledge.

The major doubt in my mind about his achievements is how much of it was influenced by the skulduggery and manipulation of Sir Jack Norris.

Should, of course read – Sir Henry Norris, who got a lifetime ban from the FA for his underhanded dealings.

24. Herb's Army says:

Maybe, GN5, but just like our manager today, Chapman had to pick the players. And if Arsenal were ‘financially doping’, isn’t that what City and Chelsea been accused of?
    He proved his pedigree at Huddersfield, winning three titles in a row. They’ve never won a title since.
    When did Arsenal last win back-to-back titles, or three in a row? That was Chapman’s team too.
    Surely if you have the resources, you use them.
    Let’s be honest, the manager has not used our vast resources very intelligently, especially if we’re in danger of breaking the PL’s FFP regulations.

Oh come on Herb now you are being outright outrageous in your claims.

AW managed through a very difficult time in our finances and miraculously keep us in the CL without being able to buy the best players.

As of now we are most likely in the best financial position in our history due to his ability to manage our cash flow.

26. Herb's Army says:

Sorry GN5, but I will have to respectfully disagree with you.
    Have you seen where Arsenal have been on the Deloitte’s list of richest football clubs for decades?
    What is outrageous is you claiming keeping us in the CL was a miracle. Financially we’re way ahead of clubs such as Atletico Madrid, Dortmund, Juventus, even Monaco. In fact, of the top ten richest clubs in the world, only Arsenal and newly-moneyed City have failed to win the European Cup/CL.
    Did Arsenal not get 20 successive years of CL money, which again is a financial advantage the sixteen other clubs don’t get?
    The club were desperate for FFP to level the playing field, now they’re in danger of breaking the wage rule because we’re over-paying a shower of mediocrity.
    Whichever way you look at it, it’s poor administration.
    Who else would pay Walcott anywhere near £100k a week?
    I know you’re intelligent and have probably forgotten more about football than I’ll ever know, but sometimes I think you miss the bigger picture.
    Like your comment about ‘must keep Mesut Ozil’…
    Why must Arsenal keep Mesut Ozil?
    He wasn’t what was needed at the time, and he’s been so under-whelming at Arsenal the only other place he’s wanted is Turkey.
    If Arsenal cannot utilise him properly, what purpose does he serve apart from being expensive window-dressing. He came to us because Real Madrid no longer needed him, and look at the huge gulf between the two clubs.
    As an example of how poorly Arsenal are performing, in 2006, Arsenal and Manchester United’s commercial deals were pretty much on the same level. Now they rake in £150 million a year more, and that gap is widening.
    If you think the manager has done well with Arsenal’s resources it’s just as well you’re not his financial advisor.

27. Herb's Army says:

He is extremely high maintenance too, GN5.
    If you measure his performance in relation to his salary, and the size of club he manages and did a similar study of football managers across Europe, I’d be amazed if he were among the top fifty best managers. Widen that to worldwide, and it’s doubtful he would make the top 100.
    He doesn’t have the X-factor, he’s no longer a revolutionary manager who fills fans with hope or excitement.
    You seem to want to applaud him for buying an expensive liability that we didn’t need, and applaud him all over again for now buying the expensive striker he should have bought the summer he bought Ozil.
    Just like a few years ago, when everyone queued up to poo-poo the suggestion that he wouldn’t pay an extra paltry £3 million for Xabi Alonso. Just last year Alonso made it publicly known that Arsenal wouldn’t pay the extra £3 million to sign him, so effectively the offer we made was £12 million. Rafa was trying to do him a favour by letting Arsenal have him for £15m. Twelve months later after a storming season for Liverpool, Real Madrid paid £30 million for him. A winner of just about every major honour who was not only good enough to start for Real Madrid, but then went on to Bayern Munich’s starting XI too. An integral part of Spain’s World Cup and two European Championship successes.
    However, he’ll gladly fork out £10 million for a second-rate Spaniard who was never capped and whose best days were already behind him.
    Penny wise, Pound foolish.
    Our manager must be one of the most expensive luxuries in world football.

32. grahamcrap says:

HERBS ARMY /GN5: Good morning. That was great! It just goes to show the different perceptions we have on the running of the club.

I’m sorry GN5, but I’m with Herb on this one (yet another chance to sink my teeth into our manager!!). Ok, lets, for arguments sake, say we had massive financial restrictions since 2006. With the players and resources at Wengers disposal during this period, do you think he has overachieved? Do you think he has spent wisely? Do you think he has been tactically ept in using these resources, ensuring that we achieved our optimum level each season? Do you think he has moved forward as a coach/manager? Do you think he has satisfied the fans? Do you trust and have faith in his abilities to move us forward as a FOOTBALL club? I await your response.

Morning all, Graham and Herb … a polite request ….. in the interests of harmony, the next time we publish a post do you think you could address the topic of the post and not turn it into another opportunity for Wenger bashing. As we know, there is nothing to be achieved from repetition apart from boredom.

By now we all know and accept your view on this subject … but there are other aspects to Arsenal and it is disrespectful to the author to hijack his post.

34. VP of Oz says:

Chas 6:35am
    I absolutely love Lacazette if the comment was true. Classic pisstaker

35. VP of Oz says:

I think Arsene is allowing the market to determine the value of Sanchez. If no concrete offers for him come through then I think he will re-sign at a reasonable amount once AW shows that his true value is with Arsenal.
    If however a big money offer comes through then the whole dynamics will change and Sanchez will probably leave depending on the club and the league.
    I think all stakeholders are sitting back and bluffing… and this will go down to the final days of the TW

Great post GB, got a lot of interest from newbies. Good title.

36. VP of Oz says:

As for the ongoing discussions between Herb Graham and GN5, I think my position on AW is clear, I want him out however after reading all the comments in these ongoing discussions, I would have to say that GN5 has won me over. I’m now going to get 100% behind the coach and the team, thanks GN5
    COYG

37. VP of Oz says:

I think its important to remember that there are no winners in these type of debates/discussions, everyone has a separate view/opion and rightly so. But in this case I’d have to say that GN5 is the winner, cheers and well done.

38. VP of Oz says:

Chas 6.44, has rooney lost weight?

39. VP of Oz says:

sorry Rasp and GB, I’ll shut up now

Chas, I just love your 6:33, no words needed.

Herb, I stopped reading your comments at 10:02 pm yesterday. I tried very hard to have a reasonable discussion with you but I quickly came to the conclusion that it’s simply not possible, sorry.

42. wally says:

The notion that we’d get anything back, a player, from the sale of sanchez strikes me as odd. This is dreaming.
    Because of sanchez’ contract situation no one will pay up for him. This is bad management on the clubs’ part. To have him, ozil and ox all out of contract next year is even poorer management and yet here we are. Who’s running this show? We know it’s not gazidis, he’s been spayed.
    If sanchez goes I would find it difficult to say we’ve improved over last season. Just rearranging the deck chairs on the sinking ship.
    Character, spine, guts has always been the achilles heal of wenger’s squads over the last 10 years. Does anyone think the newboys have added any?
    If you were giroud would you stay if sanchez stays? It’s a world cup year and he’d find his ass firmly nailed to the bench until the 75th minute. Hardly the best way to find your form as first choice for France’s squad. I’d expect him to go if sanchez is made to play out the season.
    Still a lot of deadwood on this squad. Currently 30 members of the first team? Gimme a break! On the other hand peyton is still on the payroll despite his role having been made redundant, so why not a load of deadwood. Again poor management. Wasting resources isn’t he.
    Or maybe he’s building two squads, one for PL the other for the second best competition.

43. grahamcrap says:

Every post involves Wenger, HE’S THE BOTTOM LINE!!!!…….but point taken.

Life will go on with/without Sanchez. In footballing terms it will be sad to see him go. The thing is, does he want to say? On body language alone, it is clear NO!!. He wants(needs)to play in a team with a winning mentality and for a manager that see’s success on a different sphere to Mr Wenger(Oops, here I go again). If he leaves, good luck to him. Whether he stays in England or goes abroad is also, to me, irrelevant. RVP/ADENOUGHCHANCES came back to haunt us, so why not AS!

As for the Ox, I’m in agreement with GN5 on this. He has so much talent and was I best player towards the end of the season. However, just like AS, does he really want to stay in such an environment?

WATCH THIS SPACE!!

44. Herb's Army says:

GN5

That’s okay, it’s not like you put up much in the way of a proper debate. There’s none so blind as them that won’t see.
    Since moving to the Emirates the club’s transfer policy has been woeful, and nowhere near the same level it was at Highbury.
    It’s not that you can’t debate, your head is in the sand.
    You simply say the manager has done a remarkable job with our resources but provide no evidence to support your claim.
    You not only ignore his many failings, you applaud them.
    Competitive sport is about being the best and demanding the best. Why else would you put yourself in that environment?
    Does it make economic sense to make a manager the fourth highest paid manager in the world when he isn’t performing anywhere near that level? The only three managers on bigger salaries are all multiple CL winners, something way beyond our manager’s abilities.
    Arsenal really do suffer from a major case of chronic sycophancy, which as Eddie said, is killing the blogs.

Rasp.

Apologies, GoonerB addressed me in one of his comments so felt it only polite to respond and clarify my position.
    You know how it works. You leave a comment for someone, someone else comments on your comment and then you’ve splintered off into another ‘conversation’, which I now see was a futile exercise.
    But I’m off, I’ve no desire to turn your blog into a war-zone, or a dead-space with the ‘in – out’ debate.
    I only surfaced to agree with a comment Eddie made days ago, which has largely been ignored – (Eddie’s comment, not me).
    So I wish everyone on ‘AA’ a happy summer (or winter), and hope that at some point in future the Arsenal fan-base is united in celebrating for the right reasons.

I just read an article saying that Per Mertesacker will take over our academy in a years time.

46. No Herb. Virtually every comment you make, like Crap Graham, is to slag of the manager? Is that normal? Its not debate, its obsessive and to be frank, almost troll like.

The debate was about Sanchez, not another chance to repeat the same stuff about Wenger.

Eddie said she had enough because we ganged up on a good blogger like Crap Graham? Well, I hope she reads his crap posts to see the geezer is a troll with a Wenger chip on his shoulder and returns to blogging.

47. VP of Oz says:

There is change blowing through the Emirates
    Arsenal is no longer a selling club is being touted by management
    hence Sanchez is still with us
    record signing for Lacazette
    maybe another record signing for Lemar
    maybe a world record signing in Mbappe
    Per to be eased into retirement with an offer to head the youth academy, that is classy and unexpected
    finishing the season as Winners of a record amount of FA Cups, more than any other club
    Expectations have been high before and results in the league and CL underwhelming however I truly believe that this time it will be different, next season is ours (I believe this every season)

I think Sanchez will stay
    Xhaka will get even better
    Our defence will be rock solid
    and the strongest attack in the league,
    Sanchez will stay, he loves his dogs he loves this club

VP. it would be tragic if we lost Sanchez as he is one of the best players that have ever pulled on an Arsenal shirt. I think that if he stays then we stand an excellent opportunity to win the PL. If he goes then I believe we will be back to a transitional period in which we will have to wait for the new players to assimilate into the squad.

49. Herb's Army says:

No Terry.
    This would be trolling –
    “What’s that Terry, Chamakh, Park Chu Young and Sanogo are our new ‘trident’ next season? Isn’t Sanogo the £50m rated striker we picked up for peanuts? Wow, I can’t wait!”
    Them ghosts of yours have been stirring an awful long time and show no sign of ever coming back to life.
    Arsenal are just not that club anymore.
    But if you believe that Arsenal are performing to the same level as they were in their last few years at Highbury and that the manager has bought the same quality of players, nothing I say will change your opinion.
    I’m sure we both want the same end result for the club, we just have very different opinions as to how it can be achieved.
    Personally, I’d take Ancelotti over our manager all day long.
    If Sanchez is given enough reasons to stay and believes in the project, why would he go anywhere else?
    We’ve still got that potential Ballon ‘dor nominee Theo on a huge wage, so I’m sure we’ll be fine.
    Have a good summer, Terry, who knows, this time next year we could be celebrating another PL title, and then there’ll be nothing to complain about.

50. wally says:

Here’s a thought. If you don’t like what someone is saying you do have the choice to ignore it don’t you.
    If he or whomever wants to bang on about it so what? It quickly becomes a one man conversation doesn’t it.
    People need to relax.

51. grahamcrap says:

Actually TMHT I don’t have a chip on my shoulder about Wenger, more a sack of MARIS PIPERS! Look, if your satisfied with the way things are run, that’s entirely up to you. Just because some of us have differing opinions that are not along the lines of your so called PC Arsenal way of thinking, also doesn’t concern me.

I passed comment on Sanchez(twice) but as it all boils down to one thing(one person)that the majority of bloogers on this site refuse to discuss, what’s the point. Sanchez is not happy at Arsenal, as are the majority of the other players who have been clonned/hand picked, to accept mediocrity.

I came to the conclusion very quickly that this site was set up for those ‘so called’ supporters who have forgotten the core ethos of AFC and who are oblivious to the cancer that consumes the club. The fact that many of you are content to just sit there and accept all this BS that is thrown at us day in day out proves to me that you don’t have the good of the club at heart. If I’ve offended anyone, so be it!!

I don’t need to go on marches or hold up banners to promote something that is so obvious, but given the opportunity to discuss, in an open forum, my passionate take on my beloved club, I will!! SANCHEZ MADE HIS MIND UP TO LEAVE THE CLUB AS SOON AS OG RAN OFF TO CELEBRATE HIS GOAL AGAINST BOURNMOUTH TO MAKE IT 3-3. The fact that he is passionate and comes from South America had nothing to do with it and yet our highly educated, grossly overpaid manager assumed we would buy such condescending and patronizing crap!(NOW THAT’S WHAT I CALL REAL CRAP!)

I will now officially end my allegiance to AA (for real this time) knowing that I have, unintentionally, ruffled a fair few feathers .

Have a great season!

52. Why should you leave Graham? Your not the only one on here that thinks Arsene should have stepped aside this summer. In fact, most have expressed big doubts and felt that change is probably the best option.

What’s the difference between you and a few others and them? They can see both sides and a myriad of possibilities. This indicates they have thought hard and used intelligence to come to there reasoning.

Your obviously not thick but one things for certain, you come over as a fanatic who sees no middle ground and like all extremists takes every opportunity to spout your harsh views. Another way this is displayed is the way you dismiss others who do not follow your line as blind or somehow do not have the best interests of the club at heart? In other words, like all extremists, to you we are Traitors.

You can stay here and spout your crap Graham and may even get some sympathisers, but your ranting will never change the likes of me.

Blind? Which one of us is the blind one?

q) What do you get when you see a Spurs fan buried up to his neck in sand?

a) More sand.

q) How many Spurs players does it take to change a light bulb?

a) None, they are used to being in our shadow.

55. VP of Oz says:

56. grahamcrap says:

AND FINALLY: Wow, a fanatic and an extremist!! Your sarcastic response was wonderful and yet so so predictable!! Just so you know, I had no intention of changing your thought process(far from it), I only wanted to add a bit of reality into your life!

I’m afraid it doesn’t take much intelligence to see where all the problems lie and it certainly doesn’t take much intelligence to see where you’ll be investing your money from the start of August.

What do you call someone who hangs onto the coat tails of a deluded dictator? Now, even though I’m pretty thick, I know there are several answers to that question!

Enjoy your season ticket TMHT.

Cheers

Graham

57. VP of Oz says:

6.07
    I will now officially end my allegiance to AA (for real this time)

10.23
    AND FINALLY:

LOL, welcome back

Graham,

You are beating your head against the wall on here, why don’t you just calm down and accept that the majority of AAers are prepared to agree to disagree.

You seem to want us all to fall in line with your way of thinking – and that is never going to happen.

59. VP of Oz says:

Yaya Sanogo has joined Toulouse

60. fred1266 says:

Good luck yaya

I know, let’s have a debate.
    Swarm, I say 🙂

Morning all.

First up, thanks RA and GB. Very fine posts. Second up, Lacazette. Fantastic news. A real boost and very very exciting, the rush around press of Danny and the goals of Pants Down. Looks like two really fsuperb signings in the bag.

Anyone watching Lions game?

Morning Micky, I’m sitting in front of the telly with tea and scrambled eggs about to watch the Hakka 🙂

It’s like Arsenal v Utd in the old days ….

64. VP of Oz says:

Maybe we are doing early moves in the TW because of the amount changes needed in the squad and then having the bed them all in early for the start of the season.
    These are my notes below.

Goalkeepers (4)
    Cech
    Martinez
    Ospina [to be sold?]
    Szczesney [to be sold?]

Defenders (13)
    Bellerin [rumours again, to be sold]
    Chambers [whats going on, another loan spell?]
    Debuchy [rumoured to be released]
    Gabriel
    Gibbs [time to go but a good squad player]
    Holding
    Jenkinson [?]
    Kolasinac [NEW]
    Koscielny
    Mertesacker
    Monreal
    Mustafi
    Reine-Adelaide

Midfielders (9)
    Cazorla [the master is long-time injured]
    Coquelin
    Elneny
    Jeff
    Oxlade-Chamberlain [I think he will stay]
    Ozil
    Ramsey
    Wilshire [loaned again?]
    Xhaka

Forwards (10)
    Akpom [?]
    Asana {loan confirmed]
    Campbell [I think we should sell or release?]
    Giroud
    Iwobi
    Lacazette [NEW]
    Perez [to be sold?]
    Sanchez [BIG rumours to be sold but probably will stay]
    Walcott
    Welbeck

I like the idea of an LML – Lacazette, Mbappe, Lemar

Wow, some miss

Ahoy Rasp and VP

The ref’s a homer 🙂

One bad pass from Farell and the all blacks score 😦

68. VP of Oz says:

Welcome back micky
    I still havent got tickets (more of my family are coming so will buy tickets this weekend) but the road trip to Sydney to watch Arsenal is coming together.
    My 18yr old daughter is going to drive so that she can rack up the final 30hrs she requires to get her licence.
    Thats a 1100+ mile round trip in which I will be on the edge of my seat sweating drops of fear.
    We are going to watch the game against the Western Sydney Wanderers, cannot wait.

I plan to post some pics of the road trip etc.
    I just need to learn how to do it, from what I remember it needs to be saved onto your desktop and add an extension at the the end of the file name? I’ll work it out by next week.

VP

I haven’t actually been away. Just much work and play.

Aussie Arsenal road trip pics would be very special.

VP and the gooneroos 🙂

VP
    Did you get those instructions about posting photos from Micky?

Chas
    I like to think of them as orders, rather than instructions

74. Zee says:

The referee is French, Rasper.

The one I dislike is the lineman Payper – who is S.African, forever sticking his nose in when he should leave it to the ref.

75. Zee says:

Fantastic game.

Time wasting by the all blacks whilst their player is in the sin bin … they’re masters of the dark arts …..

Phew, this is very tense

What a game ….

79. VP of Oz says:

Yes I’ll do a YouTube tutorial on how to post photos on a blog.
    I think we might leave at like 4am on Friday to get to Sydney by 4pm
    Watch this space
    Last time I watched an Arsenal game live was in 2005 in Cardif. What a great game.

Wow. That was absolutely exhausting. Great series. Fresh air needed.

81. Zee says:

Superb games — all the way thru the series the Lions have got better and better – for what is basically a ‘scratch’ team brought together 6 or 7 weeks ago.

Loved it all. 😀

82. VP of Oz says:

Fantasy Premier League
    Lacazette £10.5m

G’Day Bruce’s and Sheila’s….and a very good afternoon to you VP old chap 🙂

Been a bit busy but it looks like I missed some tasty encounters. To be fair I do share some common views with both Herb and Graham, especially over the recent few seasons, but I don’t agree with all they say.

To Herb, not to pick over old scabs but I felt that I ought to reply to his reply to my reply….now are you all still with me 🙂

Herb I have often agreed with many of your comments where others will maybe not. They may be a bit more too much towards the critical bracket for many but I have always thought you mostly back your comment with an argument that seems considered. When I made my point to you it wasn’t to be cruel, just an observation that I felt your recent comments had digressed from being backed by reasoned argument and looked more like wild non reasoned accusations.

I enjoy having persons such as yourself and Graham on board to get a bit of Yin and Yang but I would urge you to re-establish your previous habit of making criticisms that look considered. Recent comments seem to indicate you have crossed over to the “Arsenal can do no right and I see no joy or positives in anything.

Graham also has some valid points but his do look like rants so it is hard to pick out the worthwhile bits. I also have to agree with others that his comments, whether intended or not, take the line of you will agree with me or I will shout louder and louder and add more insulting lines. Things like telling people to grow up or being fantasists and how he is some good Samaritan just trying to bring some reality to our poor blinkered lives.

I am sorry to say that we have seen this before and each time said person states the bloggers on here are the closed book unwilling to openly discuss, but are obviously blissfully unaware that they are the closed book unwilling to accept any other viewpoint. Make your comment, back it with a reasoned argument and then agree to disagree if necessary….not so hard is it.

84. fred1266 says:

Wonder what Sanchez value will be

Nicely put GB.

86. Nice comment GB

I shouldn’t have got involved with Crap Graham but love is sometimes like that.

My first wife was similar. Nothing she said bothered me, I wasn’t listening, but one day she overheard me as I had this guy in a headlock for insulting George Graham.

She had discovered my weak spot so after that it was open warfare. When Eddie Mcgoldrick replaced Rocky the neighbours called the old bill. By the time George got done for bungs I was a broken man and reduced to having an affair with a more attractive younger women. Terrible times.

These guys who constantly bang on about the manager are a bunch of naggers. You come home from a hard day’s work and rather than the expected dinner on the table served by someone dolled up and wearing provocative lingerie your bombarded with how Wenger is a meglamaniac fantasist with a midget fetish?

This is not a dig at women, I adore them. Besides, the roles can be reversed, just look at some people on here haha

Hi Terry, thanks for the morning laugh, you are a complete nutter, but a lovable one.

I think you were 100% right in expressing your opinion of the views of Herb & Graham, they may well have valid points that we could all agree on but unfortunately the good points are lost in a torrent of hateful verbiage, which is a shame.

Take care and keep those laughs coming.

88. Herb's Army says:

Good on yer, GoonerB, it seems everyone’s in agreement that your comment was ‘nicely put’. Even I agree, so that’s a start.
    Am I of the mind-set that ‘Arsenal can do no right…’?
    It’s a considered question.
    I’ll amend that and say the few things they do right are dwarfed by the things they have got wrong.
    If things were okay at the club, there’d be none of this poisonous vitriol that now seems to infest most blogs. There will always be the odd gripe here and there, but this divide is huge, a fan-base that just shouts at each other to gain the moral high-ground.
    Like when VP the other day declaring GN5 ‘the winner’ of the so-called ‘debate’. No disrespect, VP, there was no debate. GN5 disagreed with my opinion without putting up any evidence to support his.
    There are no winners if every one is at each other’s throats full of rage and hatred.
    To define the modern Arsenal though, GoonerB, I think we have to trace its origins back to the time the Hill-Wood’s and Bracewell-Smith’s took control of the club.
    The Arsenal that emerged after WWII is almost a complete contrast to the Arsenal that were temporarily put on hold in 1939.
    The Hill-Wood’s and Bracewell-Smith’s ditched that philosophy and made Arsenal extremely conservative, which in itself has proved very restrictive against other clubs who put football over finance.
    Their regime was never particularly brave, or pushed the boat out too much, this was evidenced by their managerial appointments.
    Under new ownership very little has changed. Our conservative charges sold their shares for healthy profit to yet another conservative, and the shackles originally put in place by the Old Etonians are still very much in place today.

GN5 – I refute the claim that I write hateful comments on this site.

As I said yesterday, it is only a fleeting visit, my appearance here grates far too many people.
    The changes taking place this summer indicate that some lessons may have been learned, but it’s taken a long time to learn them.
    A very interesting season awaits.
    Take care everyone.

Fair play to you Herb. I particularly agree with your last sentiment that it has taken too long to learn the lessons. That is an area where I wonder if AW has been too entrenched in his ways and it takes things going a bit awry before the penny drops and things are done.

Getting that top striker (or at least someone who could be, fingers crossed on Lacazette) should have been done 2-3 years ago. Working out why our tactics and formation let us down should have been done 2-3 years ago. It seems we have also started to seriously address our training and conditioning to reduce injuries but again it took 2 years too long before it was implemented.

The trend for me is that AW sits on the key issues that have hampered us too long, probably still convinced that his older methods will still come good, and then when things get a bit dire the penny seems to drop and things happen.

The thing is Herb I think that now, at this point, all the key issues are being addressed together, not just one of them at a time. If we can keep the rest of our current key players, added to the new additions and the new formation, and that our injuries seem to be lessening, then I feel we can be serious title challengers next season. It may well be that although arriving at all of this later than he should have that AW wins another title with us. As you said Herb an interesting season awaits.

BR’s R&R going well.

94. Zee says:

Sorry for not showing to respond to your excellent Post, GoonerB, but the main driver for my attendances at any blog site is ‘enjoyment’, and that was in short supply recently.

Perhaps we could scrub this posting, and re-issue your Post.

Anyhoo, people of a particular disposition will be even more unhappy when news gets out that Mark Zuckeberg, the Facebook founder and multi, multi billion $$ ‘entrepreneur’ is on the verge of making a £1bn bid to buy out the Spuds. [Petty cash for him].

They will become more financially powerful than the Chavs, PSG, Citeh and PSG put together. Yikes!!

Good morning Chas & Zee and Good day to all others that arrive.

It’s a beautiful summers day morning here in London, Ontario but I have no plans to go further than my balcony as I’m going to be watching the Austrian F1 race and Wimbledon – I’m just a sucker for all types of sport.

Great start off Chas and Zee I agree that Zuckerberg could make a huge monetary difference at Tottenham but the question is –
    “could he ever make them a social success”.

Nevertheless it’s a scary prospect as he tends to splash his cash. He has plans to turn Menlo Park CA into an enormous Facebook work complex including 1,500 housing units, 125,000 sq ft’ of retail space and 1.75 million sq ft’ of office space – all by 2021.

A guy stuck his head into a barbershop
    and asked, “How long before I can get a
    haircut?”
    The barber looked around the shop full of
    customers and said, “About 2 hours.”
    The guy left.
    A few days later, the same guy stuck his
    head in the door and asked, “How long
    before I can get a haircut?”
    The barber looked around at the shop
    and said, “About 3 hours.”
    The guy left.
    A week later, the same guy stuck his head
    in the shop and asked, “How long before
    I can get a haircut?”
    The barber looked around the shop and
    said, “About an hour and a half.”
    The guy left.
    The barber turned to his friend and said,
    “Hey, Bob, do me a favor, follow him and
    see where he goes. He keeps asking how
    long he has to wait for a haircut, but he
    never comes back.”
    A little while later, Bob returned to the
    shop, laughing hysterically.
    The barber asked, “So, where does he go
    when he leaves?”
    Bob looked up, wiped the tears from his
    eyes and said, “Your house!”

97. Zee says:

GN5,

😀 😀

Loved the joke.

By the way — I hope you are not staring at your TV screen waiting for Wimbledon — no play on the first Sunday!! 😀

Yup, I found out that in time Zee. I was looking at TV listings it turned out they were simply recaps of the 1st week

99. chas mobile says:

Chas that is nothing less than sickening. I watched it waiting for the punch line that never came…….

Morning all,

Where is everybody, no Chas show to kick start our day?

102. VP of Oz says:

Ospina is coming? I thought he was being sold.

Arsenal tour squad

Mesut Ozil

Aaron Ramsey

Theo Walcott

Danny Welbeck

Joe Willock

Granit Xhaka

Some notable players missing from the tour are =

Bellerin
    Chambers (loan)
    Debuchy
    Gabriel (injury)
    Gibbs
    Holding
    Mustafi (Conf Cup)
    Perez
    Sanchez (Conf Cup)
    Szczensey (loan)
    Wilshire (loan)
    Campbell (loan)
    Cazorla (injury)

Must be a very exciting time for you VP.

A more detailed explanation of the missing players.

Alexandre Lacazette could make his first Arsenal appearance next week after being named in a 25-man squad for the Gunners’ pre-season tour of Australia and China.

The France striker, who joined Arsenal from Lyon for what is understood to be a club-record fee, is flying out with the team ahead of Thursday’s tour opener against Sydney FC.

He is joined in the squad by the club’s other summer signing, Bosnia-Herzegovina international Sead Kolasinac, and fellow France forward Olivier Giroud, who has been linked with a move away from Arsene Wenger’s side this summer.

There is no place in the squad for defenders Kieran Gibbs, Mathieu Debuchy and Carl Jenkinson, or striker Lucas Perez, whose agent has said he wants to leave the club.

Goalkeeper Wojciech Szczesny, who spent the last two seasons on loan at Roma, is also not travelling amid reports of a move to Juventus.

Forward Alexis Sanchez and defender Shkodran Mustafi are not included following their Confederations Cup exploits, while defenders Hector Bellerin, Calum Chambers and Rob Holding, who were involved at the Under-21 European Championship, will not travel.

Arsenal play two matches in Australia before matches with Bayern Munich in Shanghai and Chelsea in Beijing.

106. VP of Oz says:

Yes GN5, its a mixed bag. On the one hand very exciting, on the other hand my daughter is driving as a learner and myself and my son are scared:-) My son watches lots and lots of top gear episodes so is a driving expert. My daughter watches zero top gear but knows it all as long as its in a forward direction and in auto.

I know a lot about the ins and outs of this touring squad so was genuinely surprised to see Ospina travelling. Thought he would be in actively shopped around and exiting. Maybe he stays?

Lets hope she doesn’t give you a crash course in learning……….

Hi from a hot and sunny Italy

Pleased to have missed the dull and oft repeated nonsense that AA is a closed shop full of People with closed Minds, What utter tosh.

Excited by Lacazzette.

Envious of VP.

Thið computer is rubbish

110. VP of Oz says:

i made an attempt at writing a post and sent it through yesterday. Its pretty poor so understand if it got binned

111. fred1266 says:

So when loan players suppose to come back

112. Ant says:

Just to cheer everyone up.

Well it cheered me up, I love that goal

VP

I can’t wait for your travelogue. ps we have similar sounding children.

And your post

Morning all.

I wish I was as good at my job as Lukaku’s agent is at his….ROLF LAMOW

I either can’t remember or was simply too bored to concentrate enough, but was Eddie dragged away by Eeyore and his mates, or did she cop a strop with someone here

Chas

As the last surviving blog leader, VP said he popped a post into AA HQ yesterday. If it contains inappropriate pictures of Full Kit Australian goonerettes in tight clothing, could you do what needs doing?

If it does not contain such graphics, perhaps you could add them from your own saucy library 🙂

Morning all … does anyone know where VP’s post resides?

Ah ha, a Blog Leader 🙂

Morning Rasp. VP said he “sent it” but he’s Australian, so who knows. Outback? Bush?

Hi Micky 🙂 I’ll send out a search party

I’ve found it … a lot of links to be taken out etc … I’ll publish what I’m left with 🙂

…. New post …..

Rasp

If it’s helpful, then you’re probably looking for a very thirsty bloke wandering about baking hot dusty plains shouting Sheila, Sheila, come here this minute and bend over.

I note that Bell hasn’t travelled, whereas The Ox has. I’m happy with that.

124. Wine Pourers