Season Assessment: Centre Backs

We have a lot of them don’t we? Do we need so many? Are they all good enough to do the job? Do we need to improve on their quality?

The season was definitely split into two as regards the defence, with the move to a Back 3 making giving the CB’s more support. But … one must question why we conceded so many goals whilst operating AW’s favoured Back 4 formation, Tony Adams etc were rightly critical.

Arsenal conceded more goals from set pieces than any of the Top 10 teams. Given the quality of the individuals one can only surmise this was an organisational problem, but why did things improve with the new system? How does that affect defending a corner?

Unknown.jpeg

Mustafi: First season. Started well. Got injured. Came back less assured. Has undoubted quality and seems to be a leader as he is very vocal. To be honest I expected more considering how much we paid for him but then I remember that MC paid €50m for Stones 🙂

Gabriel: Love his attitude. The man is a passionate defender, grimacing his way through the game. His spats with Costa are great fun. Prone to the odd positional error. Improving but I am not sure of his AFC future as the youngsters come through.

Koscielny. Another superb season. Probably the PL’s finest CB. Pacy, determined, intelligent. The first man on the team sheet. And … a worthy Captain.

Holding. An excellent prospect. His Cup Final performance was an indicator of how good this man will be. Versatile enough to play as Bellerin’s replacement. Mr. Wenger showing he still has the ability to find a diamond.

Monreal: Has to be included as he did some sterling work in the centre. Not sure I want him there on a regular basis. Where does he fit in when we play a Back 3 and how does he feel about the signing of Kolasinac?

Mertesacker: What can one say about his single start? Perfection. I love the BFG.

Chambers: His season in a relegated team has allowed him to mature and blossom which can be evidenced by his excellence with the England U-21’s. With Kos and BFG hitting their mid-30’s the future is bright.

We have an excellent balance of youth, age and experience in the heart of defence which is not something which could be said a few years ago. No signings needed.

written by Big Raddy.

224 Responses to Season Assessment: Centre Backs

Greetings from Canada Raddy,

That was not the least bit boring. I agree with your assessment and would be very surprised if Arsene were to add more CB’s.

I really wonder who will be sold as many names seem to be on the chopping block. If Sanchez and Ozil sign new contracts I will be a happy man.

2. fred1266 says:

So So who should be the starting CB next season Mustafi, Kos and?

silly question fred, BFG of course

thanks Raddy, good post. I am less passionate about defenders than about midfielders, but they are second most important part of any team. As it happens we have very good defenders and a nice mix of young and experienced ones. I would just leave them alone for the next season, no need to tinker any more

about what raddy?

Raddy, the lack of response has nothing to do with your excellent post – however it does have everything to do with summer indifference.

It’s very strange that so far there have only been a few transfer announcements – I would imagine that July will be a turmoil of activity. I wonder why the transfer window closes two weeks after the start of the new season, makes no sense to me.

Only a short 19 days to the first Arsenal game – July 13th against Sydney FC. VP of Oz must be getting excited.

7. chas mobile says:

On the contrary, BR, that’s a fine post.

I’d go with Nacho, the BFG and Rob just on the basis of their collective Cup Final performance. 😆
    Good to have selection choices, especially if we need 3 CBs each game! 6 minimum required and we have them already.

Shell out on a proven 30 goal a season striker, swot I say.

8. Aaron says:

D looking solid, especially with 3 at back and keeping Chambers on a short leash-meaning on loan nor cup tied and able to bring him back off loan. (with one eye on a center back as Kos is one twang away from being gone for a whole season or career with that tight achilles)
    Maybe another mid and definitely another striker for goodness sake.
    Deadwood needs to be sent adrift- Jenks, Theo, Deb, Jack, Giroud for a damn good price, and you heard it here first-Santi.

Erik

Boring? No
    Crap timing? Yes

You put up a post on:
    A Saturday
    In summer
    At 8:30 just as Lions game v All Blacks kicks off
    All sports fans are watching
    It ends at 10:30 and all sports fans have to get outside

So, stick it up during a weekday, and bingo, we’re all at our pc’s working hard 🙂

Chas
    Love the Radiohead tweets….minimalist, but also complex, emotionally raw…tossers 🙂

No idea if that Radiohead thing is true.
    Truth doesn’t seem to matter anymore.

chas – I hope that you are completely utterly definitely wrong.
    My future depends on the poetic justice and truth winning

Eddie

I was scared to ask how your hearing was going

How many can you name?

none. are they Beach Boys?

Don’t you even recognise Bertie Smee?

Inc the manager, three, which I realize does not reflect especially well on me

That’s shocking, Micky.
    I only have doubts about 3 and one of those is the geezer in the tie!

Pat Rice’s barnet is priceless, 🙂

Is that Alan Ball perched middle left

Yes, that’s Bally

The young lad on Bally’s left shoulder has got me. (Obvs not Steve Burtenshaw 🙂 )

Terry will know.

Most of them 😦

The dog vid is lovely.

I almost missed the dog vid, thank you raddy,
    What incredible control and bond between those 3, awesome

29. chas mobile says:

30. chas mobile says:

31. Ant says:

Marinello of course

32. Ant says:

I like Sammy Nelsons hat

33. Jjgsol says:

I simply do not understand the clamour to get rid of tw when he scored 19 goals last season and that is with starting not that many games.

Our problem was not not scoring but not not conceding.

Def not Marinello, he is much more beaky. We need Terry.

35. chas mobile says:

I thought it was Richie Powling in the hat!

Deffo looks like Sammy though.

Top work chas.

BTW I am heading off for the mountains tomorrow for my months R&R. Will be sporadic AA’ing from BR.

What is R&R? Read and Review pre match reports for the new season?

I love the windmill pic, superb

41. Cheers Raddy

Very busy at the mo but I know all except the man in the tie, which disturbs me. Behind Ball is the legendary Brian Hornsby.

42. I believe the man in the ties first name is Wilf? But that’s all I know

terry – surely geezer with the tie is the manager?

Ha Ha Ha

Important alert:

If at first glance any of you thought (like I did) that Chas’ vid yesterday of Corbyn was not worth watching, because let’s be honest, who wants to see a bloke talking bollocks to a bunch of horrible students in a field in Somerset, then I urge you to reconsider 🙂

micky – unlike you I am not a judgemental person ( 😉 ) and did watch Mr Corbyn’s speech yesterday. Rubbish, he cannot help it even with the best of image manipulating technologies

46. Ant says:

Wow brilliant

47. VP of Oz says:

I know the game in oz is still a couple of weeks away but I believe the team sheet has been leaked early
    This is what I’ve seen

Butland
    Bellerin,
    Holding
    Per
    Kolašinac
    Mahrez,
    Ozil
    Martial,
    Mbappe,
    Aguero
    Lacazette

48. RC78 says:

Disagreement – we need to buy one CB a world class one as well. Koscielny is awesome and the rest is decent. Sell Gabriel and get me a top CB!

Here’s a chuckle…………

Back on January 9th, a group of HELLS ANGELS, South Carolina bikers were riding east on 378 when they saw a girl about to jump off the Pee Dee River Bridge. So they stopped.
    George, their leader, a big burly man of 53, gets off his Harley, walks through a group of gawkers, past the State Trooper who was trying to talk her down off the railing, and says,
    “Hey Baby . . . whatcha doin’ up there on that railin’?”
    She says tearfully, “I’m going to commit suicide!!”
    While he didn’t want to appear “sensitive,” George also didn’t want to miss this “be-a-legend” opportunity either so he asked . . . “Well, before you jump, Honey-Babe . . .
    why don’t you give ol’ George here your best last kiss?”
    So, with no hesitation at all, she leaned back over the railing and did just that . . .
    and it was a long, deep, lingering kiss followed immediately by another even better one.
    After they breathlessly finished, George gets a big thumbs-up approval from his biker-buddies, the onlookers, and even the State Trooper, and then says, “Wow! That was the best kiss I have ever had! That’s a real talent you’re wasting there, Sugar Shorts. You could be famous if you rode with me. Why are you committing suicide?”
    “My parents don’t like me dressing up like a girl.”
    It’s still unclear whether she jumped or was pushed.

50. RC78 says:

We need 6 players that can play CB:

RCB: Mustafi, Chambers
    CCB: Holding, Koscielny
    LCB: RECRUIT, Monreal

51. RC78 says:

Back 3 starters; Mustafi, Koscielny, ?
    Back 3 back-up; Chambers, Holding, Monreal

The recruit can be: Chiellini, Bonucci, Godin, Verthongen, Marquinhos, Kompany(?), Pepe

52. RC78 says:

Cech – Mustafi, Koscielny, PEPE – Bellerin, NAINGOLLAN, Xhaka, Kolasinac – MAHREZ, Sanchez – MILIK

? – Jenkinson, Chambers, Holding, Monreal – Ramsey, El Neny, Oxlade – Iwobi – Walcott, Wellbeck

53. RC78 says:

We could also loan out Iwobi and get Arnautovic

54. RC78 says:

If we sell Oxlade, let us get Sigurdsson

55. RC78 says:

I hope we dont’t buy Lacazette. He is really good but he s not the sort of player we need

Definitely not loan out Iwobi. He is superb and a fine back up if Sanchez/Ozil get injured.

57. fred1266 says:

Lyon trying to hold us at ransom for laca, sure he isn’t even worth the fuss

Sorry about the test but I’ve been having great difficulty posting comments – so I moved to another browser which appears to be working.

My issue has been that each time I loaded AA a security alert popped up telling me that the sites certificate was invalid, and would not allow me to proceed.

another test.

The Firefox browser seems to work okay – Internet Explorer was giving me the problem.

Goodnight……….

61. fred1266 says:

I get th same message on my phone

I get offered scorching hot Russian women at what appear very reasonable rates

Bon voyage Erik. Well deserved break from blogging.

I, on the other hand, do not deserve a break, so will meet up with my fellow undeservees at dawn for smut, filth and transfer lies.

Hi Micky, I’m always up at 5:00am but I always miss out on the morning banter as we are 5 hours behind the UK.

Hi Fred, I’m sorry to hear you have the same issue with the Security Certificate warning – maybe the site admin could check it out to ensure that the certificate is up to date.

65. Ant says:

I rest my case

As I said … more beaky.

Off on manoeuvres.

UTG

67. chas mobile says:

BR, going on holiday

68. chas mobile says:

Embed from Getty Images

Mornin’

6:36. Ok, now we’re getting closer to my comfort zone, so I shall perform better than yesterday’s shameful two.

Right, let’s see……none

Which is a bit weird, although worth pointing out the bloater to Neil’s left

Far right is one of our most famous players ever!

Thierry Henry?

Bang on!

Irish Tony Adams? 🙂

Oh, and it’s Bertie Smee again not Terence Neill. 🙂

🙂

Love the pic at 6:57. What exactly were those chaps planning. Ok, let’s block it up, then on the count of three…heeve

Ok Lads, here’s a plan

Erik’s gone for a month. He won’t know what’s going on here. He will expect us to keep the wretched thing going. Let’s all clear off and return on say..the 25th July. That’ll give us two days to swot away and make it appear as though we’ve been busy.

In the meantime…EDDDDIIEEEEEEE

it won’t work micky. He has perfectly good internet connection there and will be checking. He is in Italy not in the North Pole ffs

great news, instead of paying to EU this country will be paying NI

micky – I get offers from the Russian women too. you are right, very reasonable prices for vast amounts of fat in upper bodies

chas – I love the photos, especially those of animals. I can tell what they are and what they are doing. And why someone published the photo. Photos of people are a mistery to me. What the hell are they doing and who the hell are they? Can you give us clues??

the photo of Chief and Lesbian – wtf???

86. RC78 says:

Let us not buy Lacazette – he will not fit our team. I am sure he will be more successful in Spain or Germany and could eventually do well for a team like West Ham or even Spurs but not for AFC.

– Aubemayang and Dembele from Dortmund are potentially on the move.

– Diego Costa wants to leave Chelsea
    – M’bappe is not against working with Wenger if guaranteed a spot
    – Martial is also available and Mata potentially as well

Sanchez is leaving and am hoping for Bayern Munich. Maybe we can get Javi Martinez or Renato Sanches plus some cash for Sanchez.

87. RC78 says:

If we get Aubemayang, I think we can afford to lose Sanchez BUT we would have to replace him by a quality winger that chips in a fair amount of goals and we would need to 3-2-1-3 WITH

NAINGOLAN Xhaka
    Ramsey
    RECRUIT, AUBAM, Oxlade

88. RC78 says:

Cech – Mustafi, KOULIBALY, Kos – Bellerin, NAINGOLLAN, Xhaka, Kolinisac – Ramsey – Wellbeck, AUBAMEYANG

? – Jenkinson, Chambers, Holding, Monreal – Oxlade, Wislhere, El Neny – Iwobi – Walcott, ARNAUTOVIC

89. RC78 says:

Matic to Man Utd for 35 Mln pounds. Why we don’t make offers for such players beat me?

Costa is not to resume training with Chelsea as Conte wants him out. Costa wants to go to Atletico but Atletico can’t buy players until January…Let us land him. If we land him, Sanchez will stay.

– Bellerin, Ramsey, Xhaka, Koli – Ozil – COSTA, Sanchez

90. RC78 says:

Barkley is available – shall we make a move for Barkley and sell Wilshere?

91. RC78 says:

Anybody around or are you all upset that Northern Ireland has been given a 1 Billion blank cheque to campaign against gay and abortion rights?

RC78 is hopeful that someone will respond to his logical well thought out input about football tactics, transfers and team formations and he gets – silence.

Keep it going RC78 and maybe it will remind people that Arsenal is what brought us all here. Fortunately I keep well clear of tactics and transfer type chit chat and leave it up to those who have some knowledge on the subjects.

I’ve never watched a game from a tactical point of view – I simply enjoy the fact that I’m able to watch the team I’ve supported for over seven decades play a wonderful brand of exciting football. I still get a rush from the anticipation of watching the next game and the excitement/sadness that it might bring.

So 2/3 thousand games later I look forward to July 13th – only another 16 days to go until our next game.

93. wally says:

RC for FIFA 2017 manager of the year. There’s no one that can’t be had, that won’t come. WTH put Messi and Ronaldo in the mix. They’re just as likely. Fantasy football at its finest. 🙂

94. RC78 says:

wally – hopefully my targets are not falling in the realm of fantasy 😦

Statement from Linfield Football Club
    Posted : 26th June 2017 at 23:29:59

Since last Monday’s Champions League draw, there has been considerable press hyperbole surrounding a possible Second Round tie between Linfield and Celtic. Aside from making some contingency arrangements for this possible game, the Club’s stated position is that our utmost concentration must be on our First Round tie against La Fiorita of San Marino. To do anything other than this would be to disrespect our opponents whom we look forward to welcoming to Windsor Park on Wednesday evening. The Club is providing every assistance to David Healy, his staff and the first team squad in the preparation for these vitally important games.

Linfield feel that we must, however, issue a public response to some of the more hysterical articles that have appeared in the press over the last few days. Even in this era of “fake news” and slashed media budgets, one would have not thought it beyond the capabilities of most reporters to perform some basic fact-checking before sending an article to the presses.

A particularly regrettable piece appeared in the Scottish Daily Record on Saturday 24th June, wherein the former Celtic footballer Joe Miller recalled a friendly match he had apparently taken part in against Linfield at Windsor Park whilst he was on the books of Aberdeen. The interview with Mr Miller, as told to the Daily Record reporter Gordon Parks, included such colourful details as the winger apparently being repeatedly targeted with laser rangefinders and that he and his colleagues, Derek Whyte, Tommy Craig and Roy Aitken were carrying match balls down a street after this game when they passed a public house where they were confronted by angry locals.

The latter detail may cause some bemusement to Linfield supporters, given that even in those pre-redevelopment days, Windsor Park was wholly enclosed from any surrounding streets, and there remains a distinct lack of local hostelries in the area adjacent to the ground. We have played numerous friendly games at Windsor Park over the years against such clubs from Manchester United to Flamengo of Brazil, but have yet to ask opposing players to walk around South Belfast whilst carrying various match accoutrements.

What troubles us most of all, however, is that Linfield FC has no record of having played Aberdeen at Windsor Park or elsewhere in the entire decade Mr Miller refers to, whether in a friendly fixture, training game or otherwise. In fact, it appears that Linfield have never played against Aberdeen at all throughout our entire history.

A particularly concerning allegation made by Mr Miller, printed in the Daily Record and broadcast on social media to tens of thousands of views, was that “there were red dots on us for the whole 90 minutes” of this mysterious game. This fanciful account seems to suppose that the player and his colleagues were being targeted by multiple firearms, and was provided in the context of suggesting that it would be unsafe for Celtic supporters to visit our stadium, should that tie come to pass in due course. Given that Windsor Park was, and is, an almost entirely enclosed stadium, it would have been unlikely that this could have come from outside the ground, had this fixture actually taken place. Given also that neither the then-RUC nor the British Army carried lasers fitted to their weapons as standard, and that in 1995 it would be some years before laser pointers became easily available and affordable to members of the public, one wonders where, exactly, these red dots may have appeared from in this match that didn’t actually happen.

In light of everything stated above we can only suggest that this account is demonstrably untrue.

The Club has now instructed Solicitors to write to Mr Miller and the Daily Record accordingly.

This is just one of the press stories that have appeared in the last week that is easier to rebut. Our Solicitors have also been put on retainer to investigate any further attacks on the good character of this Club and its supporters. In the meantime, we would only ask that the media, like Linfield FC, concentrates on fixtures that have actually been arranged, and that any reporting of past events is conducted to proper journalistic standards.

A statement regarding the possible match against Celtic and the ticketing arrangements for that game will be released in due course, should we win the upcoming tie against La Fiorita.

@5:57 – that’s Gibbs not Ox

Fergie and class? I think not, should have been Pochettino

Pochettino is scum

Did you see the source for the 5:57?
    If not, you missed the joke. 😆

Alex Ferguson can be regarded as class now that he no longer manages.
    Exactly the same as all politicians that die being regarded as top geezers.

You’ll understand English sensibilities one day, I’m sure.

By the way, I thought the chief and the lesbian (think it’s a bloke as no-one would have trusted a lesbian to handle sensitive electronic equipment in those days) photo was amusing because it looked like the music was on full bore and his headdress was responding.
    That was the only reason for posting it.

Many ludicrous photos I post in the morning have been the catalyst for morning discussions. Much of it prompted by BR’s responses, admittedly.

If you wwant me to stop while he’s away, just say and I will.

Chas, Please don’t even think about stopping to post your morning clips and pictures, sure there may be the occasional one that is not liked or misunderstood – but we are all adults and should have thick skins.

They are typically very clever, witty and unusual – where else would you find somebody so willing to bring amusement and interesting posts just to entertain others. You are one of the mainstay’s of AA and you own the morning time slot.

Thank you for going out of your way to improve our mornings – with very little credit.

Don’t worry, GN5.
    I’d still post shit on here even if no-one else came on just in case someone was enjoying it. 🙂

Eddie
    I was only kidding to get a response.
    I know you said you loved the photos at the start.
    Hope you didn’t take me seriously.

I appreciate your shit Chas

Away on leisure manoeuvres this week but ok if Arsenal eye expensive strikers while I’m playing

6:51 Kenny Sansom?

To be fair, Sansom was an easy “Who is it?” because we all remember him as the first white man to play for England.

nobody takes you seriously, end of.

I missed the joke, source was the ref who sent off Theo instead of Gibbs, or the other way round. Good joke 🙂

oh no, England U21 lost on pens to Germany. Papers say it was a heroic effort by the youngsters and they were heartbroken to lose. And we, allegedly all football fans here, don’t give a poo, not even a mention of the the game

116. Zee says:

Morning folks.

I rushed out a comment to highlight the mood that recurs every year about this time, and like Topsy it just grew.
    So, a word of advice – don’t bother if you are short of time. 🙂

—- Arsene’s fantastic Vision of Beautiful Football

So, here we are, a year on and openly or sneakily looking at the myriad of transfer rumours flowing around us, not just about Arsenal, but around all our rivals too – who is buying whom, who is asking for the humongously ridiculous salary and so on.

The season finished on something of a mixed bag of results – some terrific football to win the FA Cup at a canter from Chelsea, the Premier League champions, but all culminating in a somewhat disappointing relegation from the fabled ‘top four’ finish, and thus we are relegated to the Europa League, taking the place of the Spuds.

The cockles of the fans heart were warmed by the scintillating finish to the season by the way the team played at the season finale, and the captivating style of total football that was on show for all the world to see.

Where did this performance come from? Was it a one off? Will we treasure it and hold it to our manly chests as we slip back into the old slip slop ways of yore?

Not if Arsene Wenger has his way!

Looking back to last summer, we can remember the constant and probably unfair criticisms of Arsene for his apparently dilatory decisions in not addressing the perceived weaknesses of the team, at least as far as the fans were concerned.

Where is the desperately needed holding midfielder we need, many have asked, seemingly year on year, season on season? Where is the top notch CF we need? And why are our full backs encouraged to frequently desert their defensive duties and hare upfield in support of the attack?
    [OK, that last one is not transfer related, but when were fans logical in their complaints?] 🙂

On the face of it, there appears to be a hotchpotch list of gripes that have resulted in the fulminating anger of the fans spilling over from time to time when results have not gone our way, and this has led to many supporters despairing of Arsene ever changing his spots.

The transfer acquisitions made last summer did cheer up the fans by addressing addressing some of the issues, but it did not take long for the moans to re-start after the first game we lost.

The suppurating anger of some fans has not been helped by Mr Wenger appearing to refuse to explain his vision, his strategy and his tactics in a way that would, perhaps, allow everyone to understand better what he is striving to achieve, and to explain his supposed reluctance to caulk over the defensive and offensive holes in his team by buying more suitably qualified players and addressing the long term issues concerning the fans.

Arsene, like many highly intelligent men when they are confronted with the seemingly incomprehensible angst of fans regarding, what appears to him, as a straightforward situation, sometimes shows an inability to understand why there is even a problem, when his vision, motives and methodology are so obvious to him.
    Perhaps he needs to learn to use the English colloquialism “What’s your problem, mate?”

The answer, I believe, lies in his vision of the beautiful game. Football, so he advocates, is not broken down into the micro or macro analysis and management of defense and or offense, he really does see the game as being one unified, flowing, seamless whole. To him there is no need to assign specific responsibilities to one type of player or the other, because the whole team should be capable of defending and attacking as one smoothly working unit.

Every Wenger team is expected to play in a certain way — his way — conforming to his vision, and to hell with worrying about the opposition. He wants to win, and win beautifully, by playing football as an art form with each cog of the team working synchronically like a perfectly functioning and exquisite Rolex watch, and stuff the Timex teams which may be acceptable to the other clubs and other fans.

Therein lies the problem. Most fans want to win trophies to give them bragging rights, and it matters not to them if it was the result of a fluke deflection off someone’s ass, or a bad refereeing decision, or playing against 10 men or whatever advantage the Gods threw at them.
    A win is a win, is a win, innit?

But maybe Arsene needs to promote and explain his vision to the fans better, and to reassure them that he does indeed want to win trophies, but also to win them in a style that would make them proud to support a club who fostered such a vision of perfection — a vision of playing beautiful footie.

Arsene also needs to appreciate, if he doesn’t already, that every Rolex or Hublot needs to be made of the very best of materials, and to have a thorough annual overhaul in order to hit the amazingly high standards of perfection they lay claim to, and so too does his Arsenal team. Hence the transfer turmoil every summer when defective parts need to be replaced.

Buying the very best players possible for his team, and leaving others to worry about the cost of doing so, is an essential requirement which not only will make his vision for Arsenal more achievable, but also marry up his desires with those of the loyal fans who crave success and would give their unstinting support to this magnificent project if this was the case. But ….. AW does care about the cost, unlike every other top manager – and that leads to its own problems.

There are very many of us who would love to see this man reach his visionary goal, and not appear in history as just another footballing Don Quixote, futilely tilting at windmills, and not just for his sake, but also for the sakes of those of us who have supported Arsenal all our lives, and will do so until the end.

117. RC78 says:

Zee – excellent and spot-on text. Although I believe that the board is the one limiting AW’s purchases…

118. RC78 says:

Martial asking to leave Man Utd.
    He is a good prospect and will have to be sold at a cut price by Man Utd so why not invest in him? He knows the EPL, he has youth, speed and is rather robust. Only problem – he is quite similar to Wellbeck.

Zee, you have outdone your good self, that was indeed a superb piece of work and very worthy of being a headline post. It sums up the feelings of many of us. mere mortals, who are not as gifted a writer as yourself, or as able to succinctly express their thoughts – thank you for posting it here on AA,

It should be sent to AFC and addressed to AW.

Watching the FA Cup Final when we won by playing Wengerball and in the process beating Chelsea who were the prohibitive favourites was indeed a joy to behold. It was a wonderful advert AW type of football and the prospect of seeing us win league and championship trophies playing Wengerball is tantalizing to say the least.

What a great way to start my day, lots of morning thingies from Chas, including a disappearing pug, and an amazing comment from Zee.

120. RC78 says:

What kind of players are we missing to win the AW way?
    We have the creative Ozil, the mercurial Sanchez but what about the rest? Are we missing goals from our FW/W or creativity from our MC? Do we have the defensive solidity to let our creative players focus on offense?

121. graham says:

Don’t agree with some of your views. PM has only had one good game in 5 years!! Mustafi is a liability. Need someone like Van DYKE. Holding has great potential. Chambers needs a run in the team. With Wenger still at the helm, feel we will underachieve once again!

122. graham says:

Infact, know we will!!!!!

123. wally says:

What kind of players do we need? Grafters.

Wenger has raised too many gutless ones. That’s why we fade every year isn’t it.

Zee

Couldn’t you send that great comment as a post?

125. RC78 says:

Giroud keen to move back to France in the end as family puts pressure to return to the land of the wine and garlic. Marseille and Lyon are ready to bid 30 Mln EUR for him.

126. RC78 says:

Arsenal to miss out on both Lacazette and Lemar.

Arsenal still chasing highly prized Belotti as Giroud waves good-bye

Oh dear, my morning is just not the same – WHERE is Chas?

Afternoon all. Been away most of the week so no time to comment….not necessarily a bad thing you say? 🙂

Best belatedly reply to Raddy’s post. In short my answer is that overall our CD’s have under-performed this year but once again, when looking towards next season, we now need to assess them based on our change in formation and not the whole season. I think the back 3 actually suits all our defenders far better and it also suits the type of defenders that AW seems to have a preference for.

In a back 2 of CD’s (previous system) we have missed a commanding one in the mould of Adams, Campbell, Kompany, Terry. In a back 3 I don’t think this characteristic is so required so spending fortunes on 1 is not a priority for me and is an unnecessary distraction to what we really need to focus on.

Maybe the 1 game is not enough to assess PM on, but it was enough to convince me that he may still be a very valuable CD for us in a back 3 which seemed to highlight all his best points (anticipation and reading of the game) while diluting his main weakness of lack of pace ( because the 2 mobile CD’s either side of him covered that).

I also think the new formation suited Gabriel and Holding better as well. As Raddy said we have a lot of CD’s for a back 3 formation, (Kos, Holding, Per, Mustaffi, Monreal, Gabriel, Chambers), and such I wouldn’t add to it unless we are selling some. In the back 3 I can actually see merit in all our defenders so I don’t think I would make it a priority and would go with what we have. Changing CD’s requires both use of budget and an adaptation period to defenders coming in.

I still think Chambers could come good and Holding is looking excellent. Kos is fine and PM showed the value of having an experienced CD. Monreal looks excellent on the left of the 3 as well. If anything it is Mustaffi and Gabriel I could see moving down the pecking order but I think we can afford to find out who earns their 1st 11 spot next season.

Had a look back at some comments I have missed.

Firstly, Chas, I love your work even if I don’t regularly say so. I am not normally around at the time you put them up, so see them belatedly when commenting on them seems pointless, but they always bring me a smile.

Zee, great comment at 10.05 yesterday. Should have been a post….maybe could still be. Lots to chew on and come back to.

RC78, if we keep our key players like Sanchez, Ozil and Ox then I believe we are 1 30+ goal a season top level striker from winning the league. As I have said before I believe the change in formation (with the current squad) has already bought us 12 points. That top striker will add those extra few points to this and ensure our record against our key EPL rivals (the top EPL sides) is strong, which it hasn’t been for a few seasons. Those are title deciding factors but…….we need that top striker and we need to go all out for that player.

Lots of rumours about Bellerin and Barca. They are definitely once again up to their not so subtle tapping up and unsettling of the player. He is on a long term deal with us so unless Barca come up with a silly figure of £70m+, (which they will not because they always believe they can bully a club into getting the player cheaper by being underhand and unsettling the player), then we should tell them to do one, that he is not available this summer.

We have enough things to address this TW without adding extra unnecessary issues to it, and the RWB position and Bellerin are an area we don’t need to focus on. It should be settled.

Outside of Bellerin we have the Ox and I also rather fancy the idea of looking at Maitland Niles in that role. Who knows if Maitland Niles does excel in it then we can sanction Bellerin to Barca in another year, but not this year, and Bellerin will need to stay focused and not play up or else risk getting side-lined and his career taking a nose dive. It can’t always be about what the player wants and the club has to protect its position first and foremost.

GoonerB comments like buses 🙂

Just a reminder, we won 7 out of our last 8 leagues games and the FA Cup utilizing the new back 3 formation while scoring 18 and giving up only 6 goals against. In my view this proves that the system worked with our current players and therefore indicates that not too many tweaks will be needed in the upcoming season.

Just saying……

GN5….I agree with you….just saying

GB, that is not to say that I don’t appreciate your comments, on the contrary I find them very educating and they give me new insights into the team and various players potential.

I actually do agree with you GN5…should have inserted smiley face on the comment

I know some (Chas 🙂 ) think that I never have a good thing to say about Arsenal but I have often been saying over the last few seasons that we are only 2 players short of an EPL challenging side. I have always viewed that as a positive statement because it indicates we are most of the way there. The negative comes from not getting those 2 players so the statement about being 2 players short seems to be a groundhog day one.

I have always felt that more of our problems stemmed from poor tactics and incorrect use of systems so on that I have been negative, until now, since Aw changed the formation. The new formation (and keeping the current players which is by no means certain) means that for me we need just 1 very expensive striker. We are 1 player short 🙂

Trying to keep Sanchez and Ozil e.t.c and get that player are a big ask this summer so the club and AW will really have to pull out all the stops and be more decisive than ever. I feel we are entering a big few weeks for this club that could shape us for better or worse for the next few seasons.

136. RC78 says:

GB and GN5 – we are 2 players short IF we keep our current squad and our formation:
    – we need a CB
    – we need a FW/ST

RC, If we get a CB then we probably need to sell 2 of the seven I mentioned in my 1.26. That would leave us with a net 6 options for our back 3, which is plenty.

Who is it that you deem not good enough and who would improve us? Whoever it is would have to be coming in as a first choice so which other 2 CB options do they line up with.

I’m still about.
    Thought I’d leave the blog for just footie chat for a day.
    Especially after Wally’s overnight grafters and gutless comment.

GoonerB
    Le Grove have been saying that we are only 2 or 3 players away from a Championship winning side for 10 years. Only trouble is that the players they’ve suggested have been feckin pants.

Who would your fabled 2 players be who would take us to the title?

(I can imagine your reply already, ‘That’s what Wenger is paid £8m a year to identify” !!!!!!!!!! 🙂 🙂 🙂 )

Bearing in mind we bought Skod, Granit and Holding last summer.
    That 2 players short bollix just doesn’t wash.
    Oh unless we should have bought those three plus 2 more. The 2 more being the ones who would push us over the finishing line.
    So we were only 5 players short at the end of last season.
    🙂

How dare you Chas….to infer that my suggested 2-3 players would be on a par with those suggested on LG….like comparing Bollinger with Pomagne 🙂

I must reiterate my case that I have always said that even the right players will not function properly in the wrong system and the wrong position and this (for me) has undermined us as much in recent seasons as how we have in the transfer market.

Hopefully that is now addressed and I am probably more excited than most that at seasons end we seemed to have a team that looked very difficult to break down without really sacrificing any attacking intent. Players seemed to be playing in their best roles all complementing each others abilities.

Of course any players brought in have to be the right players, and ones we really need to balance the team as oppose to just another good technical addition, and the one glaring omission has been a top striker to lead the line. We have needed that since RVP left, so it is not a new area to address. I do think AW has both over-estimated what we have and has somewhat procrastinated in being decisive in this area.

No disrespect to Ollie, Danny and even Theo, because they all have attributes I like, but are all slightly let down in 1-2 areas that relegate them more to being excellent squad options. A manager paid £8m pa should have recognised this before now 🙂

Back later to see your reply Chas, or you can ignore me and I will get the message 🙂

Shame you didn’t answer the question.

142. RC78 says:

GB –
    1) Gabriel can be shipped out and BFG as well.
    2) Kos is a definite starter
    3) I think that Mustafi, Chambers and Holding will battle it out for the second spot and all are good Options as long as we bring in another quality CB
    4) Koulibaly could be a good option

Mustadi Kos Koulibaly
    Holding Chambers Monreal

Sorry Chas but I am going to request that you clarify your question in asking me to name 2 players. In my 3.11 I said that over the last few seasons that I feel we have been 2 players short but that for this forthcoming season I think we are 1 short. Do you want me to name 2 players for prior seasons or the 1 player I feel we are short of for this forthcoming season.

Sorry Chas I know no-one likes a pedant 🙂

Right, put simply.
    You say two players every season required.
    We buy three last summer but still needed the two that would take us to the title.
    How can that ‘only 2 players short for the forthcoming season’ nonsense be true?

chas is right – you can buy 2 or 22 players in every TW, but it is a pointless exercise if you don’t change the manager.

We’re two players short 🙂

Morning

Eddie

It was you that wished away the nice hot weather, now look at the bloody state of the country, damp and miserable

lovely weather here, 16 degrees, dry and no wind. Per.fect.

Transfer window opens tomorrow, so naturally, I’m expecting an extraordinarily hectic weekend in N5 offices

ha ha ha, hectic in N5?? Why? Is not as if they’d be buying, selling, chasing. Nope, I expect a chilled out atmo in Highbury

Eddie

RC78, aka our man in the know, says that Pants Down is about to “wave good-bye”. That would imply serious intent from the offices of N5

He also says we’re two players short, so GB has solid back up

Allegedly:

Arsenal chief executive Ivan Gazidis has promised fans to expect big signings this summer that will improve the first team, though he was later heckled over his defence of majority shareholder Stan Kroenke.

The Arsenal CEO was speaking at a Supporters’ Trust Q&A on Thursday evening at the Emirates Stadium, and laid bare the club’s approach to recruitment this summer.

They have already been linked with the likes of Kylian Mbappe, Thomas Lemar and Alexandre Lacazette, and Gazidis confirmed that Arsenal are chasing players of that ilk, choosing quality over quantity

have you seen RC78’s CV?? No, I didn’t think so.

following the attempted burglary 2 weeks ago I had 4 cctv cameras installed. I am sitting and watching them now :):) not much happening but the neighbours cats need shooting, bastards are peeing in my garden!!

ha ha

You need a tower with spotlights in the garden. 24 hour watch. Only way to ensure complete safety. Can you get a shotgun licence living in the middle of Cuffley?

police told me CCTV is the best deterrent. To be fair it gives a very clear view from all angles. Nobody could get into the house without being recorded.

I am sure I could get an illegal weapon, but the question is – could I use it? Probably not, too Squamish to have blood on my floor, brrrrrr.. and what would I do with the body?? No, not for me

Bodies into the compost heap.

If you combined your CCTV Surveillance operation with your Eddiecam footage, you could team them up into one of those reality telly things

159. RC78 says:

Eddie – i love the vote of confidence…

Bournemouth gets Begovic, Ake and Defoe – not too bad.

Man Utd gets Lindelof, Matic and is desperate to sign Morata or Bellotti.
    De Gea – Valencia, Bailly, Lindelof, Shaw?
    – Herrerra, Matic, Pogba –
    Mikhtyrian, Rashford –
    Morata
    -> Solid team

160. VP of Oz says:

Eddie, at work we watched our cctv tape of a guy breaking into an employee’s car. Footage was great. Police weren’t interested in even seeing it. Not sure why we have cctv now

RC78 – it’s nothing personal, I trust no one 🙂

VP – OMG, honestly?? I think cops would take action here, but maybe I’m wrong. Anyway, thieves are camera shy, I hope

I am 2 marbles short…..every season 🙂

Chas I guess to clarify it we could say that we are 2 senior top class 1st team players short each season. Young players for the future can still be added as a separate concern, but every now and then one of the young players steps up to 1st team level quicker than was likely expected, as Holding did.

In short for about 5 years I think a top striker that can get over 30 in a season has been a priority as one of the 2 but AW has prioritised elsewhere so I feel he has got it wrong to some extent and that has hampered us.

This year I agree with the addition of Sead and for the 2nd one it is that top striker. After that, as long as we keep the current squad, then I am hapy with those 2 in our new formation.

Top striker needed, expect an attacking technical CM 🙂

Eddie,

I’ve been responsible for security systems in many of my various management positions and while CCTV is great for post robbery evidence it does nothing to stop you being robbed.

One of the very best avoidance methods is to have a noise activated alarm system – one that is so loud it wakes up the neighbourhood – the crooks run like scared rabbits and you will have lots of fun watching them flee…………..

Eddie,

On another subject – why don’t you take a break from knocking Arsene – he will be our manager for at least the next two seasons so why don’t you give him a chance? (: (:

165. kibagendi says:

the center backs did a good job we are still lacking depth. we need some quality backup

166. graham says:

GunnerN5: How can you say Wenger deserves a chance? This guy has consistently cocked things up over the past ten years. Just how many chances do you want to give him? Personally, I won’t stop knocking him until he leaves the building!!!!!!!

Your choice Graham, I’ve made mine and comments like yours will never alter my opinion. If you think that 3 FA cups and 2 Charity shields in the past 4 seasons is cocking things up you need to talk to PL teams and managers who have never played in the CL or won a single FA Cup let alone an all time record of 7 and get their opinions.

GoonerB
    So Mustafi and Xhaka weren’t quite senior enough, then.
    I give up.
    It is exactly like being on Le Grove when you point out that some imagined pattern isn’t there and all that happens is the other person obfuscates or changes the goalposts.

well said Graham, me too.
    As much I loved him before, I don’t want another rollercoaster season. We are a big enough club to win big trophies from time to time. And CL at long last. Top 4 finish is a trophy worthy of spurs or Everton, but I thought we were better than that. Clearly not.

GN5 – I have the loud audible alarm – that’s me. The CCTV is a deterrent, I hope.

Eddie, be assured that CCTV is not a deterrent it’s a recording system, a sensor reacted audio system will drive thieves away as quick as a flash.

But it’s obvious that you think you know better and will ignore this message.

correct! message ignored.

I have state of the art alarm system, but with 3 animals wondering around it is rather hard to use. So I spent a lot of money having it installed last year and used it once, when the cat was locked outside

Chas , not here to pick a fight but go and re-read my 11.25 again where I quite clearly state that a top striker needed to be the priority over the last few seasons as 1 of the hypothetical 2 required. Not too sure why you feel the need to give up but It appears you seem to think that just because AW bought 2 players for the first team that it draws a line under the argument and my point becomes invalid.

As I said I don’t think he has always prioritised the right players and in not getting that striker since RVP left he has maybe targeted the wrong areas. It has nothing to do with whether the players you mentioned are 1st team quality or not, but more if they were the key players we needed.

Also I wouldn’t say it is always 2 every summer TW. Sometimes more sometimes less, depending on other variable factors like injuries and other departures e.t.c but it has probably (subjective opinion) averaged at about 2 top players short per season recently.

ah go on GB, have a fight with smug chas, go on go on, it is so fooking boring here without footy

175. chas mobile says:

GoonerB
    Agreed, a top striker, preferably guaranteed 30 goals a season, is the priority.
    Anything else is just wishful bullshit.

Nah Eddie, no fight with me and Chas. We may disagree on the blog many times but we also agree at times and I really enjoy the company of him and his bros when we meet in perso. That is more important in my mind because written comments can be easily misinterpreted but the disagreements and banter are always more readily seen for what they are when you are chewing the fat in person…..doesn’t make him right though 🙂

My only gripe is in him labeling me the equivalent of a LG blogger, and for that he owes me a beer.

Anyways, I do like the look of the kid Mbappe despite the risk at the huge outlay. Aubemayeng would be good. Possibly Lacazette (who may be our most realistic target) but I am not certain he could translate Ligue 1 stats to the EPL. I would keep a close eye on Cavanni as a shorter term solution should PSG go in big for another striker.

If Man City want Sanchez we want Aguero or tell them to forget it, and if Bayern want Sanchez I would want Lewandowski in return. If the latter deal went ahead then I would still go for Lacazette and play him as the left sided number 10 (Sanchez role) which may actually suit him more in the EPL than the number 9.

Just to add the same would go with a Sanchez / Aguero swap. I would drop Lacazette in behind him on the left of centre continuing with our double number (with Ozil as the other 10) behind a striker. Also I would still like to see us promote a couple of youngsters through this season. Players like Niles, Jeff, Malen, and Nwakali could all potentially offer something.

178. chas mobile says:

179. chas mobile says:

Morning all. I see Chris Willock, who has been with us since the age of 5, has just signed for Benfica. They are the Portuguese champions and must see something in him. He is not dropping down in terms of level really so I really hope that the club has negotiated a buy back clause into this deal in case he really shines.

181. graham says:

Sorry GunnerN5, MY MISTAKE!! If you consider winning 2 meaningless community shields and 3 FA Cup’s as a reason to celebrate, then Wenger deserves credit. I only go and what I’ve witnessed over the past ten years and that’s gross underachievement and embarrassing and shambolic scenarios!

182. graham says:

Opinions are what it’s all about GN5. Based on the systems and infrastructure at his disposal(forget financial restrictions!) if you can’t act on the obvious weaknesses, then you are not fit for purpose. Wenger past his sell by date long ago and I stand by this opinion hook, line and sinker! Enjoy the new season!!

graham – you are on a wrong blog mate. Except for me and a couple of others all regulars here think we cannot do any better, there is no better manager than Wenger, we are spoilt and ungrateful, bla da da da da da da. I am sure you get my drift.

Anything negative you say about Wenger will be hushed up by statistics like in any 5.7 games we scored more goals than 93.1% of top 4 teams. There! We are doing great

Eddie/Graham,

My comments are based on over 70 seasons of knowledge and watching literally hundreds of different PL and old Div1 mangers including 11 Arsenal managers.

Please share with us your knowledge foundations.

GN5 – only because you have grey beard it does not mean you are very wise 🙂
    I have been making cakes for 40 years and so what?? That Nadyia Hussain is younger than my son and boy can she bake a cake

As far as I am concern we are underperforming, have underperformed for many years now and as one of the biggest clubs in Europe we should have at least one European cup. If we are to accept that we are nothing special than yes, 3 FA cups in 10 years is a brilliant result.

Eddie, you know absolutely nothing about me, my life experiences, or my knowledge of Arsenal or football in general. Having to resort to silly childish insults to make a point is just about as low as one can get.

I will continue to enjoy all aspects of my Arsenal experience including posting and writing on AA – in spite of your attitude.

187. graham says:

GN5: Seventy seasons of Football Knowledge, 11 Arsenal manager’s, that’s very impressive. I’m 55 and only go back to Bertie Mee, which according to my computations is six manager’s(correct me if I’m wrong). However, I don’t need a PhD in longevity to be able to gauge how things are being run. Are you Arsene Wenger’s uncle?!?! If this site is a for people like you, GN5, then great. However, different opinions should be welcome and not ridiculed by someone who has obviously become a wee bit senile in his old age. NOW THAT RINGS A BELL!!! I think the childish attitude comes from yourself.

Graham,

I’m in my 81st year and far from senile. It takes a multitude of different attitudes and opinions to make the world go round and I will always defend my own opinion – but I try not to resort to insults.

So you can both say whatever you wish to, Arsenal Arsenal is a very liberal site but it does have a certain set of values that I’ve occasionally broken – but not in the recent past.

So in order to retain a site decorum I will refrain from making any more comments to either of you.

graham – see what I mean? That’s just one blogger, wait till others jump on a band wagon.

and as for childish insults – ‘grey beard doesn’t make one a wiseman’ is a polish proverb, very apt. Chas is childish, not me

191. VP of Oz says:

Arsenal supporters set up new fans group to set out real ambitions

192. So Graham, you find out GN5 is of an older generation and gleefully throw the insult of senility at him? Read through his posts and comments and then tell me you come to the same conclusion?

However, that is not the issue. It’s more a matter of showing some respect and dignity, and from your insult, it displays you have little.

In a way it’s not a surprise. Those who tend to be “anti Wenger”, seem to be more angry and voiceforus in there views, often spilling out in insults and the display of nasty character traits.

I have no issue with those that feel it’s time for change. Though I still believe Arsene is the right man to take the club forward, I can see the arguments for new management and respect that opinion. But when the debate is reduced to low based insults, especially to some one who has more experience in following the Club than most, I take umbrage.

193. graham says:

Eddie, I get your drift. Still won’t stop me passing regular and consistent comments on the total mismanagement of AFC and, in particular, the persistent and predictable failings of AW!

194. Jjgsol says:

I left a very good blog because I was sick and tired of the anti Wenger rhetoric and the insults and jibes against those who did not subscribe to the prevalent anti Wenger stance.

I hope that I won’t have to leave this one for the same reason.

For what it is worth I agree that in the absence of any adequate successor aw remains the best manager we can have.

Winning anything is not a right even for a top club like ours which, incidentally did not reach top club status until aw came.

The are another 19 clubs in the league who also play as well.

I’m fed up of scrolling and, more importantly, RA’s comment deserves to be seen by a wider audience, so………

New Post

196. graham says:

Don’t worry folks, this will be my last input on this site. It seems that criticism of Wenger is frowned upon by those who see him as the only real solution to our many problems, which is laughable. This has nothing to do about winning, it is all based on the fact that many fans have grown so accustomed to our defiences, that they have come to accept things as they are. AW is, in my opinion, the main reason for such inadequacies. Rest assured that the next two season’s will follow the same pattern (minus CL) as the past ten!.Oh yeh and as for TMHT, liberal minded attitudes are one of the main reasons our world is in such an awful state. Accept that those that react differently to your liberal minded perspectives on AFC(and life in general) want constructive change and positive actions, not excuses and predictable rhetoric. ENJOY YOUR SEASON!

197. determine says:

hello!,I liҝe your writing very so much!
    proportion we keep in touch more aboᥙt your post on AOL?

I need a specialist in this area to resolve my ρroblem.

Maybe that is you! Having ɑ look ahead to peer you.