Everton. A Chance to say Goodbye?

Will this be the final time Alexis and Mesut grace Islington’s most sacred turf? Hope not , but if it is let’s win this afternoon with the style and brio they have both brought to the Arsenal.

Unknown.jpeg

Everton are a good team and Koeman has done well to keep them in the mix until the last month or so, they will finish in 7th at least 14 points ahead of 8th. With a much smaller budget than the Top 6 it would be fair to say, they have comfortably won League 2 of the PL. Whether they can push on is doubtful without massive investment.

Everton will be no push-overs, they are good all over the pitch and AFC will have to play well to secure the points. This being the case I do not think AW will rest his best players ahead of Wembley.

My Team:

Cech

Holding     Mustafi    Monreal

Bellerin   Ramsey   Xhaka     Gibbs

Ozil      Sanchez

Welbeck

Such a pity Ox is injured as he adds a better attacking punch than Bellerin but Hector is a wonderful replacement and gives the immature Holding fine back-up. Ramsey wasn’t as crocked as I feared, Kos is still a doubt, the rest pick themselves. Apart from upfront where despite the gulf in the goal stats I still prefer Welbeck to the FFP. Why? Movement. Versus Boro we looked so much better when Iwobi and Welbz came on as subs.

Thinking Iwobi, AW has to find a place in the first team for this young fellow, the man is just terrific and probably the man to take Sanchez’ or Ozil’s shirt when they leave.

I hate the end of the season. I need the weekly injection of football in my life. What happens in the close season? Gossip, speculation and fantasising (and in my case a long sun-filled holiday in Italy). Thankfully, unlike our noisy neighbours, we have another week to enjoy.

Will it be Weds or Thurs evenings? Quite honestly, I don’t really care. As an armchair fan I do not get the thrill of seeing Messi, Ronaldo, Cavani, Dybala etc in the flesh. If it is to be Thursdays I will have the enjoyment of seeing teams I know nothing about, safe in the knowledge that Arsenal have a good chance of winning well and seeing loads of goals.

But that is for another day, today is all about beating Everton. It can be done and I will be sending positive waves all the way to North London alongside shouting at my television in support of my team.

For the final time this season a win at THOF is possible. Can we do it? Of course.

Let it be So ….

COYRRG

126 Responses to Everton. A Chance to say Goodbye?

Morning all, nice write up although you be now depressed me thinking this may be my last opportunity to see Mesut and Alexis in the flesh.

Truth be told I was thinking of coming to game, then though not to in case atmosphere turned sour, and then Chas told me it may be JCs last game. I had to be there, players will come and go, supporters like JC don’t.

Thanks Raddy, your brilliant PMs have kept the site going. You aways seem to capture the essence in every game and this is right up there with the best.

Today sums up what being a supporter is all about .. the potential for extreme joy or equivalent sadness. Like you I hope that this wont be the last time we see Sanchez and Ozil in an Arsenal shirt and there is also the possibility that it could be the last time AW takes charge at The Emirates. Whatever our feelings about the current state of affairs, I’d have hoped that his last game would be celebrated for his unparalleled service to Arsenal …. but I’m 90% sure he will be staying … so scrub that 🙂

Unfortunately the ticket fairy couldn’t find one for me today so I shall be deeply envious of all those at the game …. last year’s finale was just amazing thanks to the spursy lot.

Until impossible, I choose to believe in miracles … we can beat Everton and Middlesborough’s players will want to make a statement in their last game in the EPL and hold pool to a 0:0 draw … everything is crossed…..

3. chas mobile says:

4. Yay football 🙂 🙂 🙂

Have to read the PM later, sorry Raddy.

Beers, sunshine and a chance to sing Giroud’s name ……. can’t wait 🙂

5. chas mobile says:

Cheers, BR.
    Top work as per usual.
    I’m hoping to enjoy the day.
    Fat chance of that. 😆😆😆😆😆😆

6. Ant says:

Thank God all that petty bickering is on another post now. Thanks BR for the pre match. Today is a day to celebrate.. beer, sunshine, bloggers, JC, the train journey, Kings Head and an Arsenal win.. if we are in Europa so be it but we just need to win for JC.

7. Ant says:

Where’s the Scottish bearded lovely?

8. Ant says:

It’s a shame that the loonies and anyone from Devon won’t be at the pub to celebrate today

11. Ant says:

This is what today is all about..

12. Ant says:

13. Ant says:

“That sums it all up”

14. Ant says:

15. Ant says:

16. chas mobile says:

JC on board. ☺

17. chas mobile says:

18. chas mobile says:

Not sure JC will be impressed with this mask. Hahaha ha.

Know your desperate when you beat the Vines to the pub!

Thanks Erik

Do not like your mention of Sanchez and Mesut possible goodbyes to The Ems one bit. Dreadful thought.

That aside, it’s a day of maybe’s, who knows, what ifs, checking other scores and all that. In other words possible high tension and drama. Love all that. Bring it on. Back later.

We’re on the train until 12.45. Still beer plus hip flask to be drunk.

22. Ant says:

GIE
    Fancy a chat?
    Are you Venga in or Venga out?

24. Ant says:

25. Ant says:

Chas as you well know none of it matters, I support the club first, and those who sail in it second but they get support while there playing (unless their initials are TW they just get muted applause 🙂 )

27. Ant says:

Any ‘keeping tips, big man?

GIE
    I can’t believe you hold grudges against some players!

Stay between the sticks when Nacho is lining up a back pass.

30. Ant says:

Any more comments for JC on his photo book page?

That indirect free kick was funny.
    I suppose only because they didn’t score from it, mind. 😬

32. Ant says:

Brilliant GIE. That free kick fiasco was unprecedented and highly amusing when they didn’t score.

chas/ant, I’ve never sat beside JC at a game …. does he get animated, or spend most of his time sharing his humour with those around? … the latter I suspect 🙂

Who doesn’t remember Lee Dixon lobbing Seaman with a back pass?

One of those I was there moments and players were still pissed!

Comment for JC

“Isn’t it about time you scored at the right end?”

36. Ant says:

Save that one for writing in the book when we see you.

37. Ant says:

Hi Rasp, he is very quiet during the game generally as it is all a bit complicated for him now but you’ll get the odd comment

I also suffer from complication Ant but I find that a good laxative works wonders.

Oh dear only one more Raddy pre match this season and August seems so far away……………I hate having no football to watch and I can’t get cricket on our channels.

Raddy I don’t know if you can get Net Filicks but it only costs us $10:00 a month and it has dozens of TV series, including Breaking Bad and House of Cards which are both simply incredible and a must watch, plus you get hundreds of great movies and documentaries.

In my finest Delia impression to the AA regulars…..

“Where are ya”

“Let’s be ‘avin yoooooooo”

🙂 Ant …. it’s all a bit complicated for me too these days … especially retrospectively when I read GoonerB’s analysis 🙂

Back on the sofa.

Just got Netflix GN%, ready for a football-less summer

Great pix on the train.

Ant, the family would have been more scared if chas hadn’t been wearing the mask

Everton may have Schneiderlin and Gueye in midfield, both very good players and both could have been Gunners.Gueye still could be

9/11 for BR.

Mustafi dropped for Koscielny. Gabriel in, Gibbs dropped

Mustafi may well be crocked as BFG is on the bench

It will be interesting to see just how much effort the players exert.

Sir Alex Ferguson says pressure on Arsene Wenger is ‘ridiculous’

Last Updated: 21/05/17 1:57pm

Sir Alex Ferguson tells us how retirement is going and what he makes of the current crop of top managers.

Sir Alex Ferguson has told Sky Sports the pressure Arsene Wenger has been under at Arsenal is “ridiculous” – and that he wonders whether the club could find another manager like the Frenchman.

Wenger, whose contract runs out at the end of the season following 21 years with the club, is yet to announce his future intentions at the Emirates.

And Ferguson, who went head to head with Wenger for 17 years in the Premier League before retiring in 2013, questions whether Arsenal know what they really have in the Frenchman.

Ferguson was speaking to Sky Sports’ Soccer Saturday at an event for the League Managers’ Association, who have named their Manager of the Year award after the former United boss.

The 75-year-old said: “At the moment, of course, with the ridiculous situation of the pressure Arsene is under, I just wonder if they realise the job he’s done.

Sir Alex Ferguson says he feels sorry for Arsene Wenger and described the pressure he is under as ‘ridiculous’

“The most amazing thing about him is this: he has come through a forest of criticism for months now, and has never bowed. He has seen it right through, he has shown a determination, a stubbornness. I think when you look at that, it’s a quality, and I’m not sure they’ll ever get another manager like that.

“It’s quite easy to say ‘Get rid of him’, but who do you get? Who do you get in to keep that club the way they are for the next 20 years?

“I really feel sorry for him because I think he’s shown outstanding qualities, and I think he has handled the whole situation. I don’t know many that have done that.” Wenger has won three Premier League titles at Arsenal

Ferguson won 13 Premier League titles and two Champions League crowns with United, though all three of Wenger’s English titles came in a seven-year period where United and Arsenal were battling it out at the top of the division.

The Scotsman has questioned the short-termism creeping into football and urged clubs to implement a more long-term approach to their managerial decisions.

Asked if times had moved on from having one manager in charge for a lengthy time, Ferguson said: “I hope not, because I think that stability that a manager like Arsene Wenger has brought to Arsenal, and Brian Clough at Nottingham Forest, myself at United… there’s no evidence that sacking a manager brings success.
    Arsenal look as though they will be missing out on the top four this year
    Arsenal look as though they will be missing out on the top four this year

“But there is evidence, through myself, Clough and Wenger, that you can gain success with long-termism.”

Ferguson admitted to moments of missing football, despite enjoying his retirement, but he remains indebted to a Manchester United that was “easy to fall in love with”.

“I made up my mind I was looking forward to retiring because I did what I wanted to do in life,” he said. “I think I picked the right time but there are moments when of course you miss it. You miss the banter in the dressing room, you miss the humour of some of the players and you miss the cup finals.
    Watch a preview of the final day of the 2016/17 Premier League season.

“I was lucky. I was at the right club, there’s no question about that. Manchester United is a special, romantic club that’s easy to fall in love with.”

Ok, just set meself up.

One page livefootie
    One page sky for anfield updates
    One page blog
    One cool refreshing drink
    One bowl crisps

Ready

what flavour crisps?

cheese and onion
    durrrr 🙂

What is your favourite savoury snack to go with a cooler?

Is Per on the bench to come on for a goodbye appearance once we’re five up?

start of a great day? 🙂

Wayyyy hayyyyyy … 1 nil ….. shhhhhh as it stands, we’re 4th 🙂

is the glass half full or half empty? Hector or Danny?

Per jumping joyfully on the line

Well, that’s not good at all

I’m at work, I can’t see the game … was it worthy of a straight red? … whatever ‘it’ was?

Great start then Kos plays silly buggers.

Will be a long 75 minutes

Snack? Not easy. The Cheese and Onion crisp is hard to beat.

So he deserved to go off?

Well this will test our resolve ….. we must keep posing an attacking threat, not sit back and just defend.

Yes Rasp

Rasp. Clear red card and Kos out of the Cup Final. Complete shitballs

Does Kos miss Final or can we appeal or disguise him?

Apparently kozzer misses the cup final now …. spiffing 🙄

Oh bugger, Erik

2 : 0 … bloody excellent, 1 more and I would say just concentrate on defending 🙂

yessssssss yess yes

Sorry Raddy, I see you got there before me ….

Lovely. Strange goal but Sanchez clinical from 2 yards

Important now to keep our shape and not get too gung-ho …. 2 nil at half time is very acceptable

You can guess what the pool fans are saying about Everton at the moment 😆

ha ha ha
    love it…off off offf

does that mean that Kos is out next week???

Keep up Eddie … yes, no kos for the cup final ….

come on ref, I’m busting for a wee

Bollox, bollox, bollox ….. pool score on the stroke of half time 😦

Unfortunate about Boro’s capitulation but we are doing all that is required.

Felt we should have scored more and Danny seems to have completely lost the plot in front of goal. His miss prior to Hector’s goal was simply dreadful.

Will AW shore up the midfield or continue with the back 4?

will Gabriel miss the final too?

All over now, Pool 2 up … let’s hope the club dig deep to fill the hole left in our finances from the loss of CL revenue …

… make that 3 :0

Do you think this referee is on a bung? Some of his decisions have been truly bizarre.

Our boys are getting kicked from pillar to post and yet Everton have 11 men.

The penalty? Need to see it again but it looked very soft

I’m having an internet connection nightmare but not enjoying reading you boys’ commentary

Did see the Gabs go down. Looked very nasty

The game has become meaningless and Everton are playing very aggressively.

Time to get Alexis off. Right now.

Gabs looked completely broken.

No time to put him together again by next week

I’m hearing that Xhaka and Gabriel have both gone off injured?

85. fred1266 says:

Our finishing is horrendous

Apparently some of the crowd are singing .. “Stan Kroenke, get out of our club”

Certainly don’t see Lukaku as any king of major upgrade

Does he score mostly against minnow level defenders or does he do the business against top level defenders

Well done Aaron … let’s hope he can get back to his best form .. we’re going to need him

What a fantastic goal from Ramsey.

Brilliant performance by 10 men against 12

Wow, superb goal

Funnily enough I was just about to call for one more goal such as a Mesut/Sanchez combo or a top corner wallop

That had both 🙂

Wonder how many Hull fans are staying around for the Lap of Honour 😀

92. Aaron says:

The Arsenal looked up for it today no matter what!
    Kos will be missed, but Mustafi can do the job!
    Gabriel looked to do the same knee as before, but I believe he will be ok for the future, but short for the FA Cup final.
    Another win and some positive mojo going forward.
    spuds got nothing for their best season in a long time, manure spent a billion and still below us, $h*ty above the Arsenal yett still got nothin’ with the supposed best in the world coach.
    Go Gunners get that trophy!

I think we will win the Cup, Aaron.

Feelings is what I have about that, and they’re good 🙂

Ref shocking, sent Kos off, on only viewing without replay I was worried as soon as he failed to connect with ball. That said he was quick to put a lot of Everton players on yellows who then weren’t given a second yellow for similar fouls.

Alexis walked off injured although part of me thinks he was looking for the applause and say goodbye, for me he was very frustrating today,

Ozil is still beautiful to watch play football, the boy has touch and awareness.

Sorry didn’t get to see JC at the end.

The walk to the ground was emotional enough for me, how the Vines managed it without a tear is beyond me.

95. jjgsol says:

Whilst i am disappointed a bit that we are not in the Cl next year, however, it will be nice to be in a competition that we have a reasonable chance of winning.

There are positives, like we scored 28 more goals this season than last and ended up with 4 more points.

Missing out of the Cl is a negative but ls a positive point if you realise that the qualify for it for more than 20 years on the trot and for the final stages 15/6 years on the trot, to miss out by only 1 point, means that it is not a disaster.

Interesting that AW did not go out on the pitch to thank the fans.

There were a few songs about Kroenke after Everton scored? They were short lived like any song sadly.

Exile

Do you reckon Per is in contention for Wembley what with his experience and whatnot

Are we back to discussing box sets? 🙂

99. JanMan says:

We went on a good run for a few games but it was too little too late! Based on the seasons performance we did not deserve CL football. The EL may be a welcomed change as we may well have a chance to win it, unlike the CL. I truly hope that after the FA cup Wenger will do the right thing and step down. He has been a tremendous manager and I thank him for everything he has done for this great club of ours but the past several years have proven he is not the man to take us forward and on to a new era. Other managers have long caught up to him and passed him by. Hopefully he can go out on a high with an FA Cup win? Good luck to all you fellow Gooners for the future and I hope the AA blog can also prosper and remain a good discussion place for the regulars and privileged few. Forever an Arsenal fan, no matter what. JanMan over and out!

Sayonara Janman.

See you occasionally next season

Think Per has to start? In a three though. To be fair he didn’t really put a foot wrong when he came on, but neither did Gabriel and Holding which is why they have kept the shirt.

If you could implant BFGs wisdom into the heads of our younger centre backs we would be a lot better off. I know he has had the odd moment of madness but I think they could be counted on one hand.

Interesting seeing which players thank you messages put on screen (before lap of meeting the player’s families) got biggest cheers. (Ollie, Alexis, Danny, biggest for Mesut).

Also credit the Everton fans making their way out joining in applause for those Arsenal fans departed.

102. Troll Shard trolls hard says:

We really came out with fire in our bellies today. Which hasn’t always been the case. Unfortunately, Koscielny’s red card poured some cold water over that fire. But we kept our fight up and scored a couple of lovely goals, and one bizarre one.

I was prepared to finish 5th so not too disappointed by that.

I am worried about the FA Cup final now. No Koscielny, no Gabriel, and Alexis a doubt now along with the Ox. Not to mention Anthony Taylor will be referee. But, if we play with the same spirit as we did today, we will have a chance to win a record 13th FA Cup, and a record 7th for Wenger.

As a point of interest our 75 points would have placed us 2nd on six occasions,3rd fourteen times and 4th twenty two times.

Full credit to the team they played their hearts out, if they do the same next week we will be in with a solid chance. Sad about the red card but I thought it was deserved he went right into Valencia’s ankle could have resulted in a very bad injury.

Bellerin played his best game in a donkey’s age and Per was just excellent – I hope he’s still with us next season as he is a very steadying influence.

105. VP of Oz says:

So the season is at an end but we still have wembley.
    If the protesting fans actually supported the team, what couldve been?

“We played since January in a very difficult environment for different reasons,” he said. “Some obviously that you know about, and that is very difficult for the group of players to cope with that. Some other reasons we will talk about another day. But the psychological environment for the group of players was absolutely horrendous. It has been difficult.”

“Some other reasons we will talk about another day. ”

As if.

107. Herb's Army says:

If it is to be the last time JC gets to the Emirates, at least they got the right result on the day. And I hope they gave out the half-time announcement to make his day complete.
    Good on you, JC.
    Quite how the club sorts out it’s direction and lack of footballing identity is anyone’s guess.

Excellent, GIE, thanks very much for those.

I love the last one the WPC is cracking up as the big fella fell for it. He took it in good spirits to be fair.

112. Troll Shard trolls hard says:

Wonderful pictures of the walk to the stadium GIE. The last one is my favourite too. Really captures JC’s spirit. Nice to see the Vine brothers and Peaches again, and you of course. If I’m not mistaken that was Chary with you?

It was indeed Shard.

where are these photos??

115. Troll Shard trolls hard says:

Never had the chance to meet the Judas Priest fan in person, but at least I can recognise him. It looks like you had a great day out, which in many ways is what football is all about. Hope JC had a good time, if indeed it is to be his last game.

Football is all about winning games ie goals and points. With all the best will and terrific company if we lost yesterday none of the attending would say it was a great day. I am delighted that JC got a good send off! Glad for Peaches because she was sad lately, glad for GiE because I like him, glad for the Vines because…I am struggling here…because…I know because they went on the journey back to the sticks smiling 🙂

Lovely pics GIE.

I have never met JC but am very grateful to chas and Ant for organising what must have been a wonderful day for JC

118. Troll Shard trolls hard says:

If we all stopped to admire a deer in the forest, Eddie would be the one to shoot it. 🙂

Nice work Exile, thanks for that

Dashing now, not sulking

absolutely not. I love wildlife; almost killed myself while a small hare run under my car wheels. Humans are a different story

I have seen the pictures, great!!! The letter is lovely, where is the photo signed by the players?

121. chas mobile says:

Eddie, I’m sure Chas and Ant can supply pics of that.

123. Herb's Army says:

Great pictures, GiE, thanks for sharing.
    It looks like you all enjoyed a nice day out at the Emirates, and even better, the football Gods shone down on you too.

There is a New Post