JC’s Farewell Game?

Many of you AA bloggers past and present have met our old man’s best mate, JC, when meeting up for a beer before an Emirates match. Since giving up his season ticket a couple of years back, his attendance has been more sporadic for a number of reasons. He hasn’t been much in the second half of this season at all.

The reason for this post is that he’s coming to the final game of this season against Everton on Sunday. We suspect it could be his last time up the Arsenal, though he may still surprise us next year.

Ant has compiled a photo book to commemorate the occasion. It includes some quotes from AA bloggers and some familiar faces from here also. Here’s the link if you fancy a butcher’s……….

My nephew Matt (older brother Jon’s lad) has contacted Arsenal and explained the situation. As a consequence, the Club sent JC a signed letter from Arsene Wenger and signed player photo which thrilled the old boy. They’ve also promised a stadium announcement. Not sure if this is for before the game or at half time.

Biography

John Alfred Mr Churchill was born on the 1st July 1925. Often’s been the time when he’s said that he’s not slept much the previous night due to guilty feelings over the stress and worry he caused his parents as a young lad. On one particular occasion, he hitched a ride in a lorry from London all the way up to Liverpool in the hope of blagging his way on to a ship. The police stopped his escape plan and sent him back to London after informing his parents he was safe and sound.

As a schoolboy, he played on the hallowed Highbury turf during an Islington schools final. His tale from this momentous occasion was that he played left wing, scored a goal but finished on the losing side, the score being 1-0. The punchline to this story is that he scored an own goal from a corner!

His desire to sail the seven seas led him to lie about his age and gain access to a seaworthy position in the Merchant Navy in the early 1940s during the Second World War. He became a gunner, learning how to fire the on-board defensive guns. His time with the Merchant Navy saw him through to the end of the conflict and left him with some shrapnel in his leg which still gives him some problems (when he remembers it’s still there)!

After the war JC joined the Civil Service and met my old man and they developed a lifelong friendship from there onwards. When clearing out my Dad’s house we found diary entries about their relationship from way back (fifties, I think), such as ‘JC says he’ll give up smoking if the cost of them goes up anymore’. As a matter of record he gave up about 3 years ago after many failed attempts. One time he tried to convince us that his doctor had advised him to start smoking again because he’d become such a bag of nerves!

My Dad used to have two seats in Block Z of the West Stand Highbury and JC was on his regular list of colleagues and friends he’d invite along to watch a game. The seat alongside my Dad’s two became available in the early 90s. JC was informed, bought the season ticket and thereafter, a regular feature of Saturdays, was JC turning up in his Volvo estate to ferry them both towards Islington.

Back to more recent times, JC’s love of going to the football is less in the actual game itself, but more in all of the familiar faces he sees at home games. He often approaches stewards and policemen/policewomen, touches their lapel and when they look down, brings his hand up to clonk them on the nose. Many of the stewards don’t get caught more than once but they all seem to enjoy the interaction as much as he does.

As I said before, our custom used to be to walk over the South Bridge to the ground, largely because my old man needed to be pushed in a wheelchair to get him to his seat. Passing the burger van on the corner of Aubert Park and Drayton Park, JC often stopped to shout out ‘Buy one, get one free’ or some such nonsense. The boisterous chap behind the counter developed quite an affection for JC after a time, always addressing him as “Colonel” and making cracks about Douglas Bader and other non-PC type jokes.

JC’s Ninetieth Birthday

Much of the above is lifted directly from a post I wrote asking bloggers to kindly send cards to honour JC’s 90th birthday.

I’d like to re-iterate a massive ‘Thank You’ to everyone who participated at that time. Mr Churchill loved receiving the cards and I sent him a copy of the original post with all of your kind comments attached. It has definitely been one of my personal highlights of blogging on here.

Rasp even managed to find a pop-up Emirates Stadium.

GN5 wrote a paragraph about growing up near Highbury and being an Islington boy which was much appreciated by JC as another local lad.

He even received a card from some Junior Gunners…..

Thanks for reading and let’s hope we manage a win for JC on Sunday. (Whenever we used to pick him up he’d ask if we had remembered our black ties as we’d need them when we lost!)

Written by chas

262 Responses to JC’s Farewell Game?

I’m back doing the marking, peeps, so early starts for me for 7 or 8 weeks.
    Hence early post.

What a great start to the day Chas

Only half way through, back in a mo

Lovely read Chas. Normally we are in Peaches pocket for the games but tomorrow we will be with JC on his journey.

Few lessons about life there, or as we call it, supporting Arsenal.

Thanks Chas.

The way you brothers look after him says everything. Good people

Beautiful book. I hope someone loves me enough to do the same for me.

8. Shard says:

He did the lapel and nose trick on me too! An absolute legend and all round great chap. Hope he can keep going to the games next season too.

bloody hell, I thought JC has died!! fancy scaring me like that!

he really was a little shit, his poor mother must have been besides herself. Great character, it was a pleasure to meet him.

First time we met he asked me to marry him. Second time we met he didn’t. I am sure chas told him about my boots. Either that or his wife reads the blog 🙂

shard. why did you not blog for moths and months, and months?

11. Shard says:

You scared me off Eddie 🙂

but you are no longer scared now??

13. Shard says:

Well, NOW I am.

14. Ant says:

“He really was a little shit” ….priceless quote

15. Zee says:

Chas, I hope you do not mind, but I found an article that Eddie might be interested in — a bit long! 🙂

— Krystyna Skarbek, a beautiful Polish countess whose undercover exploits in occupied Europe included securing the first evidence of Hitler’s plans to invade Russia and engineering the defection of an entire German garrison, was described by Winston Churchill as his “favourite spy”.

She went on to be awarded three top honours – a George Medal, an OBE and the French Croix de Guerre – and served as the inspiration for Vesper Lynd in Ian Fleming’s first James Bond novel Casino Royale.

But by the time of her death in 1952 she was penniless and forgotten, forced to work as a toilet cleaner and ultimately murdered by a spurned lover in a shabby London hotel aged just 44.

Now finally her achievements have been recognised.

This week a bronze bust of the spy was unveiled at the Polish Hearth Club in London.

The ceremony had been organised by writer Clare Mulley, author of Skarbek’s 2013 biography The Spy Who Loved.

“She was a remarkable woman, it is ludicrous that she is not better known,” says Mulley.

“Her story is incredible and she has just not been honoured as she should be.”

Born in 1908 near Warsaw, the daughter of Count Jerzy Skarbek and Stefania Goldfeder, Krystyna enjoyed a privileged upbringing, becoming an expert horsewoman and accomplished skier.

In 1930 she even came sixth in the nat ional Miss Polonia beauty pageant.

It was on the ski slopes that she met Jerzy Gizycki, a wealthy entrepreneur.

The couple married and in 1938 moved to Ethiopia, where he served as consul general. A year later, however, Krystyna’s life was to change for ever.

After Hitler invaded Poland, the couple sailed for London and she contacted the British Special Operations Executive (SOE) – the forerunner of MI6 – and offered her services as a spy.

Krystyna earned a George Medal, an OBE and the French Croix de Guerre award for her work

She even had a plan: she would go to Nazi-allied Hungary before crossing into Poland over the Tatra mountains, where she would gather intelligence and help Polish resistance fighters escape the country.

On December 21, 1939 Krystyna left London for Budapest and, with the help of former members of the Polish Olympic ski team, made it across the border and began gathering military intelligence to send back to London.

So successful was she that a reward was soon offered by the Nazis for her capture, with her face on posters in every train station in Poland.

Krystyna eventually secured her most important information yet: photos of German troops preparing for an invasion of Russia.

With the SS closing in, Krystyna fl ed Poland, skiing across the mountains to Hungary with the micro- film hidden inside her gloves. The dossier – the first evidence of what was to be Hitler’s Operation Barbarossa – was given directly to Winston Churchill himself.

According to his daughter Sarah, he declared Krystyna to be “my favourite spy”.

Meanwhile she continued her work in Hungary where she met childhood friend Andrzej Kowerski, a former Polish army officer who was now working undercover.

They became romantically involved and forged a love that was to continue, tragically, past her death.

The pair were among the SOE’s greatest assets, organising surveillance of all road, rail and river traffic on the German borders, sabotaging communications on the river Danube, providing crucial intelligence on oil transports, as well as implementing a system of spy couriers across Poland.

Krystyna was the inspiration to Vesper Lynd in Ian Fleming’s first James Bond novel Casino Royale.

She was a remarkable woman, it is ludicrous that she is not better known.

The work was invaluable – but also very dangerous. On one occasion Krystyna was stopped by two German soldiers who ordered her to put her hands in the air.

She complied – revealing a grenade in each hand, both with pins withdrawn, only her thumbs preventing detonation.

The soldiers promptly fled and she escaped.

When the secret police caught up with Krystyna and Kowerski her quick thinking once again saved them: biting her tongue as she was interrogated, she then “coughed up” the blood, explaining to her captors that she was suffering from tuberculosis.

Afraid of the highly contagious disease they took their captives to a doctor.

Krystyna and her lover promptly escaped in the boot of a car belonging to British ambassador Sir Owen O’Malley, travelling under passports bearing the names Christine Granville and Andrew Kennedy.

In 1944 Krystyna was parachuted into France as part of the liberation preparations.

Her brief was to make the fi rst contact between the French Resistance and the Italian partisans, as well as to carry out guerrilla attacks and attempt to “turn” occupying forces.

So adept was she that she even persuaded a whole garrison of Polish Nazi conscripts to switch sides – thereby taking the strategic Col de Larche Alpine pass for the Allies.

In August 1944 she rescued three fellow spies, including French Resistance leader Francis Cammaerts. Marching up to the prison where they were to be executed she demanded to see the Gestapo officer in charge.

What happened next almost defies belief. Krystyna not only identified herself to the officer as an undercover operative but claimed to be the wife of Cammaerts and the niece of Field Marshal Montgomery.

“If anything should happen to my husband or to his friends,” she threatened, “the reprisals would be swift and terrible.”

The Gestapo man relented – and the prisoners were freed. After the war, despite her undercover heroics, the British authorities refused her citizenship, stating that, according to files at the National Archives: “She is no longer wanted.” The daring, courage and adventurous spirit of the beautiful Polish countess were unwelcome in postwar Britain, it seemed.

Dismissed with a month’s salary she was left to fend for herself.

Husband Jerzy Gizycki divorced her and, with Kowerski working in Germany, she had a brief affair with Ian Fleming before he left her for Ann Charteris, former wife of Lord Rothermere.

Now penniless she took on a series of menial jobs, including cleaning toilets on a cruise liner.

One account suggests the captain encouraged his staff to wear their war medals but when Krystyna pinned on her OBE, George Medal and Croix de Guerre, she was ridiculed and accused of fabricating her achievements.

FINALLY, in 1952, still penniless and despairing, she wrote to Kowerski in Germany, begging him to allow her to come and stay.

He agreed and she booked tickets for June 16 but the night before her departure, Krystyna was visited at her Earl’s Court lodgings by Dennis Muldowney, a fellow bathroom steward on the cruise ship who had developed an obsession with her.

She refused his advances – and for once the resourcefulness that had served her so well escaped her.

In a rage, he stabbed her to death. Krystyna was buried in a small ceremony in a graveyard in Kensal Green, north London.

Thirty-six years later the ashes of Andrzej Kowerski were flown from Munich and interred in the grave with her.

If it was a tragic end to a brilliant life, author Clare Mulley hopes that finally Krystyna will be given the recognition she deserves: as well as the bust at the Polish Hearth Club the rights to The Spy Who Loved have been sold to Hollywood, with rumours of Angelina Jolie Eddie in the lead role.

Brilliant but sad?

16. Ant says:

Did he ask you where you were from Shard?

17. Zee says:

Great Post, Chas, and happy birthday to JC — I feel I know him through you and Ant.

18. Zee says:

Eddie, the incorrigible Shard has been working his blogging skills on another site, and accusing me of not liking him! 🙂

Bloody cheek.

19. Ant says:

He’s not the queen Zee…..well thinking about it he could be as he’s about the right age and looks good in a wig…and hence he only has one birthday

Zee – OMG, that is an amazing story. I have heard of her, but did not know it was such an incredible story. Thank you very much!!

21. Fantastic work chas and ant …… looking forward to walking him over the bridge on Sunday 😉

hi peaches – is JC going to get the guard of honour? marvellous 🙂

23. Ant says:

We did send him a fake card from the queen complete with a glued on Buckingham Palace post mark though.

I think you should have written to the Club and ask them if he could get some special treatment. Do you think it is too late?

25. Ant says:

See paragraph 5 Eddie!
    And he would much prefer sitting in his usual seat surrounded by people he knows and know him rather than being in the posh seats

26. Ant says:

If anyone wants to meet the man himself before the game on Sunday then we will be at the Kings Head pub.. and don’t forget to wear a flat cap!

27. Zee says:

Hi Ant,

Perhaps you could get him to blog and he could then meet other nonagenarians who are around his age.

There is a really fascinating character, called Nicky, that I have come to know, who is steeped in Arsenal experiences, and at 93 still sticks up for himself on a couple of anti-Arsene blogs — amazingly there are people (one of whom used to blog on here under a different name) who are really vindictive towards him for daring to love and support Arsenal since the mid-thirties.

Having those two chatting together would be tremendous to observe.

P.S. I knew JC was not the Queen — as Eddie described him above as being “a little shit”. If she said that about Queenie she would have been given a short, sharp chop on a big, black block! 😀

28. Quality chas

Mickys right. The way you brothers look after him says it all. Of course, its something I wouldn’t do.

Chas, can you email me JC address? I never sent him a birthday card so would like to send him a little gift along with a signed photo of myself posing in tight shorts.

Admin can give you my email

29. LBG says:

A post that does full credit to our second Dad!
    Thanks Chas

Ant that’s a superb tribute to a legendary and deserving Islington born and bred Arsenal super supporter. I’m glad that we were able to play a small part in his 90th birthday.

Back in the day there were a lot of “characters” I believe it was partially due to the rough, tough times they grew up in, and they had to create their own enjoyment as “real” life had little positive to offer.

My Dad used to play a similar trick on people – he would point to their chest and say “ere wats that mate” and when they looked down he would flick them on the chin.

I sincerely hope that he gets to watch a lot more “last” games.

Terry 10:23 – you never fail to brighten up my days – thank you.

What a wonderful tribute chas and Ant ….. and what a great guy JC is. He’s still got a twinkle in his eye … and reading his past history I can see why.

As you know I’ve met JC a few times. He always has a joke to tell (a very old one) and I always allow him to believe I fall for that trick he does when he says you’ve spilt something down your front and then flicks your nose 🙂

He really is one of a kind. Unfortunately it doesn’t look like I’ll be able to get a ticket for Sunday, but please give the old fella my best regards … and tell him I expect to see him next season.

Afternoon all

Chas and Ant….Brilliant, probably the best post I have read in a long while, and I am at a loss as to how to respond to it in a way that includes any tactics and formations.

I hope it is not his last game as I have not had the pleasure yet, and don’t think I can make it at the weekend but my best regards to him all the same. I echo others that it says a lot about the Vines brothers, and having had the pleasure of your company on a few occasions I can confirm that you are the nicest, kind-hearted, sarcastic, piss taking brothers I have ever had the pleasure to meet.

Oh, just had a thought Chas…how about this…. get JC to walk on the same side of the road as his dodgy leg. that way it is easier for him to cut in across the road onto his good one….tactical bolleux at it’s finest.

34. fred1266 says:

Nice post Chas

GB

Rolling all of those years of preaching into one superb comment 🙂

Zee

Just read your 8:20. Amazing and tragic indeed. Thanks.

37. Zee says:

GB,

There is a contradiction here, when you say; – ‘I am at a loss as to how to respond to it in a way that includes any tactics and formations.

That has to be a blessing to all on here, so If it is JC’s last time then you will have to find some other old geezer to write about next season to keep me quiet.’

The next ‘old geezer’ is you, so how can you keep quiet?

38. Herb's Army says:

Great tribute Chas, let’s hope JC is around for much longer.

To AA and the great folk who keep this wonderful blog alive.
    I thought the term ‘splitters’ a tad harsh, especially as some of us didn’t ‘split’ through natural choice.
    But I have come to understand AA as a haven for friends to chew the gristle and not get bogged down by Arsenal’s internal politics, or the pro’s and cons of the manager.
    The number of comments have dipped significantly on most of the Arsenal blogs, perhaps because there’s no new narrative and the club are still doing exactly the same as when people originally started blogging.
    I hope JC has a wonderful day on Sunday, and let’s hope Arsenal give him a day to remember.
    Love and Peace to the Arsenal family everywhere.

Herb. We were just joking, please don’t take our childish humour personally 🙂

Peace & Love

40. Herb's Army says:

Hi BR.

What’s life without humour.
    I know it’s not personal, there are quite a few absentees other than those mentioned yesterday.
    Chary, GoonerMichael, Kelsey, even LB has gone AWOL.
    Coincidently, I too was looking at the list of authors and reminiscing about the days AA used to be a melting-pot of opinion and activity.
    Like any walk of life, the internet can be good or bad, and if you’re looking for a ‘fight’ you’ll certainly find one. Sometimes, even when you’re not looking, nothing stirs-up passionate tribalism quite like football.
    Thankfully there are still enough good people around who care enough to make this blog relevant, and though some of us have lapsed in our contribution, it is still nice to see AA alive and kicking.

Alive and kicking may be an exaggeration but whilst there are those willing to read or contribute the site will continue.

A post like today’s make it worthwhile

42. Zee says:

BR,

– ‘Alive and kicking may be an exaggeration’ — so this is the home of football chat for the walking dead, eh?

43. Nice to see you Herb …….. hope you are well.

44. Zee says:

Hi Herb,

I am not one to speak about such matters on AA, as I have spread my wings somewhat (and frankly I still believe that there are no other blogs as decent as AA) — but I am sure that you would be welcome to participate in the blog-chat on here — and, altho there is no direct censorship, it would help everyone, including yourself, if you could agree to disagree, earlier rather than later, without rancour, if your opinions differ from other bloggers, and I am sure they will do so too.

Hope you are well, and have plenty of things to say. 🙂

45. I just don’t get time to blog any more and when I do look at the blog I know that no-one is around 😦

Not happy to miss out on a Cup Final ticket again – third time running – but Arsenal are going to be screening the match live at the Ems which has worked out quite well in the past. Anyone else fancy making up a party?

46. Excellent comment Zee 🙂 🙂 🙂 Come on Herb you know you want to …………………

47. Herb's Army says:

Hi Peaches, thank you, hope you are well too.

Zee/Redders, good to see you still about, I hope your health has improved.
    That was a very moving story, and enjoyable to read, thanks for sharing.
    As I said at 4.03pm there’s no real new narrative, everyone has their opinions which are unlikely to change. I still read regularly because it’s our football club, and as fans opinions always matter.
    It’s just a shame there are so many damaging schisms that currently divides the fan-base.
    It would be nice to beat Chelsea at Wembley. It would be even better if it was a day of unity, a day to put aside differences and embrace what could be a fantastic end to the season.

Hi Herb

“Of all the bloggers on here who maybe show a little doubt about the manager”

I’ve done me usual back of envelope sums, and if there are 10 regulars here, then here are my exit poll findings from my Time for change? vote:

Time for change: 6 votes
    As is: 3 votes
    Spoilt papers: 1

🙂

Just that no-one can be bothered to moan day in day out.
    Hope you’re well.

Thanks to everyone for such nice comments.

Special thanks to any splitters for their return (however brief), all in the cause of honouring JC. 🙂

Evening all … and welcome back to Herb.

Very astute Micky 🙂

On a different topic, I am somewhat miffed that Arsenal have taken the money for my 2 silver memberships before the season is even over and before there have been any pronouncements about the direction of the club next season. It strikes me as a cynical act and makes me feel like a customer to be milked rather than a valued supporter 😦

Rasp. The surprise is that you have not been aware of being milked!!

AFC have been doing so since the announcement of the North Bank Bonds in the late 80’s.

The sooner a Big club sign Dele Ali and Kane the better. Too good for the Miscreants

chas. That is very funny in a very un-p.c. way 🙂

🙂 Raddy

I agree that everyone should be forced to vote, or at least go to the polling station and go through the motions …. there can be a box to tick for ‘can’t be arsed’ but at least the millions who have fought for their right to vote won’t have completely wasted their time

56. Herb's Army says:

Thanks for the warm reception everyone.

Hi Micky – your sharp wit alone always makes AA worth a visit.
    I’m okay thanks, hope you’re good yourself.
    I promise not to invade anyone’s space with doom and gloom.

You too Chas, sharp wit as well as brilliant pictures to start each day.
    I merely wanted to pass my respects on to you and your family.
    What a nice gesture to share something so personal on a public Arsenal blog.

Thank you too, Rasp, as Zee says above, AA is still the standard-bearer for all other Arsenal blogs.

This Post belongs to JC, and celebrating his life-long support of Arsenal. Long may his love for life and Arsenal continue.

57. I refuse to vote for many reasons but the main one is I have seen David Leans Dr Zhivago. Omar Sharifs portrayal of a man disillusioned with the Russian Revolution is extraordinary.

From that day forward I decided to become disillusioned with all politics in hope that I could eventually sleep with a bird like Julie Christie. Despite the harsh Siberian climate, with a bird like Christie there is no danger of frost bite.

Women find men disillusioned with politics fascinating. After brexit I was sitting in my local boozer when the new barmaid asked me why I looked so glum? It was actually because I thought we needed Draxler and heard he was going to Paris St German, but I told her it was because of brexit.

This excited her, were as if I told her it was about Draxler I would have got no where. When women find out your and worry about other people’s futures because of the political climate, they want to sleep with you, were as if they find out the truth it’s really because your pissed off because you believe Draxler cutting in on from the left to unleash right footed thunderbolts would have been fantastic, you’ve had it.

That’s why I don’t vote.

58. Shard says:

Sorry, had to run off again yesterday.

No Ant. JC didn’t ask me where I was from. Presumably because he had just received a card from me from India.

Final league games on a sunday!

I suppose that for fairness they all kick off at the same time, so why sunday?

Morning all

61. chas mobile says:

It’s always Sunday. No idea why.

62. chas mobile says:

Looking forward to last major train journey of the season.

Just been reading about Monaco winning French League, and not forgetting their CL Semi, that’s pretty impressive when compared to the financial muscle of Paris

monacco are not exactly struggling financially, are they?

65. Zee says:

Morning People,

Chas, when was that photo you showed at 10:11 taken?

The antediluvian era, maybe? 🙂

66. Zee says:

Another Russian oligarch owns them, Eddie.

Communism did not work in taking over the world, so they are trying capitalist takeover, maybe? 🙂

zee – maybe, but there are better equipped contenders, like China for example. Muslims are said to try a major takeover of Europe too.

Adele, the next door girl from Tottenham. Married to an old Etonian, rather posh for a Spud. I feel dirty listening and enjoying her music

Oh, and I didn’t know about the Russki and Monaco. For some reason I thought they were State, or Principality, owned.

Nasty when someone one admires turns out to be a Spud. Some of my best friends have this disease and quite honestly I am wary of them when push comes to shove (whatever that means)

yes Raddy. I absolutely love those 2 French bulldogs in the local park, they are gorgeous, but when I kiss them I often remember that Kyle Walker kisses them too, yuk

Rumour has it that Walker is on a move to Chelsea or City. With third kid on its way they might want to sell the dogs. I’d buy them anyday and call them Santi and Hector.

Steady Eddie

Hector could do a Cesc

ey? what, go to Barca? Very possible

ok then, Santi and Granit, great names for 2 fat frenchies

74. Zee says:

I saw a headline regarding Tony Adams, “Couldn’t coach his way out of a wet bag” and thought he was being honest, and painfully accurate about himself after his appalling experiences with Wycombe, Portsmouth, Gabala and now Granada.

But, no, he was talking about AW – the man who has won Doubles, FA Cups and kept Arsenal in the CL for 20 years.

Tony was a good player but he has very little between the ears, and when he complains about Wenger not wanting to give him a coaching job at Arsenal, he just does not comprehend it is because his record shows he is absolute crap at coaching.

No doubt there are those who will see that as reason enough for Wenger to leave or be sacked. Tony rules KO?

Zee. TA is a lovely man and an Arsenal legend but seems to be a chap with a low level of mental health. Shame.

76. Shard says:

The worst thing about Tony Adams musings, is not the entirely laughable Wenger doesn’t know how to coach bit, but the implication that Pat Rice and Steve Bould are only there because they are yes men.

Hi Shard …. do you have any inside knowledge of Pat Rice’s role?

78. Zee says:

Hi Shard,

Those who hate Mr Wenger have latched onto the Adams’ lament and are delighting in pillorying the boss for being — ” ——— ” well fill in any lame brain, illogical and downright stupid allegation, based on unfounded, unattributable rubbish and it must be right — ain’t it?

The fact that Adams admitted he did say, in a first draft of his book, that AW ‘could not coach his way out of a wet bag’ but then he amended that subsequently — with only the first draft being quoted — at a time Tony was cross about not getting a job, when many people loose their cool and say stupid things.

Le Groan is now losing its place as the top(?) anti-Arsenal and anti-Arsene Wenger blog site.

Just looking back and it seems that Terry is still on the run in Italy and is now looking for Julie Christie while pretending to be Omar Sharif.

A warm welcome back to Herb, especially after this :

“Of all the bloggers on here who maybe show a little doubt about the manager, GoonerB is far more astute, articulate and politer than me. I agree with a lot of what he writes.”

I have been waiting for that 1 comment since I started blogging. I can now retire in the safe knowledge that my life’s work is complete.

Also Herb thanks very much for it, but that kind of comment is likely to end up with you being stuffed and mounted on my wall, so that I can gaze at you for all eternity. Still probably better than being up on Terry’s wall alongside Omar Sharif, Demis Roussos, Stelios from the kebab shop, and his ex wives.

80. Zee says:

Hi Rasper,

As Shard appears to have gone to do some work 🙂 I might be able to add something to the talk about Pat Rice and Steve Bould.

There have been comments referred to by ex-players and pundits about AW’s tight control over staff and their behaviour, going back before Adams’ complaint, in his book, that he did not get a coaching role because Wenger did not want an outspoken and successful trophy winning ex-player on his coaching staff.

He also said that Patrick Vieira said much the same thing.

This raised the story that Pat Rice, as assistant Manager, wanted to get stuck into players who were not performing as instructed, and jumped up and started yelling at them, but a word from Wenger made him sit down, and from then on he never jumped up or shouted anything until he retired thru ill health.

Many rumours have circulated that Bouldy looks like he has swallowed a wasp when sitting next to Arsene, especially when the defence for whom he has responsibility were making cock ups and losing goals — but once again under instruction from AW he does not jump up or yell at them, and any criticism is done behind closed doors.

I have no idea whether any of this is true, or not, but it does seem to give an explanation of how both Pat and Bouldy have sat stoney faced chewing gum when their coaching world looks as if it is falling apart.

Who knows?

Hi Zee, yes I believe that to be the case. Tony Adams is undoubtedly a bit of an ass, but that particular observation about the role of assistant managers was not far from the truth.

82. Zee says:

GB,

Herb has strong opinions and valid ones too, but to put his comment into context regarding your criticism of Arsene, is that he has always held that his namesake, Herbert Chapman is the greatest Arsenal manager of all time, so you and your camel, appearing to confirm that has made you into his lifelong friend.

For myself, holding a different viewpoint, I will never speak to you again, but your comment about Terry and his unrequited love life was very funny — and I reluctantly forgive you! 😀

83. Zee says:

I think there is something in that too, Rasper, and I have also heard from someone who knows someone who heard ……… etc, that Bouldy is a larger than life character, and is never short of something to say, and in his early days as the Assist Manager he found it very hard to keep schtum, but it seems it was that or lose his job.

This same source says that apart from that issue he has great loyalty for Wenger and thinks he is a decent man who is passionate about Arsenal.

My oft repeated comment, originally made 3 years ago, that AW should have retired was because I foresaw the unpleasantness that has now happened. He is deserving of respect, and the way things are going it does not look as if he will get it from an increasing number of fans – and that is not fair.

84. Shard says:

Ok I’ll say why I think that’s the bad part. The Arsene can’t coach bit is casting aspersions on Arsene’s ability. Which is bad, but justifiable. The second bit is casting aspersions on the character of 3 of his former colleagues.

As for the roles of Bould and Rice, or indeed anyone at the club. They know the manager is the boss. If you disagree, you do it in private, and you accept the manager’s decision. None of that makes you a yes man or meek. If you are unwilling or unable to accept that the manager runs the team, then you aren’t coming in to coach, you’re trying to be the boss, and that will simply not fly.

85. Shard says:

Besides, if Adams’ outspoken nature was so toxic, why would the club have offered him a coaching position with our U18s, which he turned down? Seems to me he isn’t willing to earn his stripes, coaching at Arsenal, and expects to walk into a more high profile role, much like Henry and Vieira. Contrast that with Ljungberg (now assistant at Wolfsburg) and Pires, the latter of whom doesn’t even have an official coaching position but trains with and offers advice to the first team regularly, and of course Bould who worked his way up.

86. fred1266 says:

Probably Sunday to gi teams that played mid-week some extra rest lol

87. Zee says:

Casting a cynical eye on why this has come up now, Shard, I feel it could be to do with ‘attention seeking’ and/or a new version of the book – My life (Part deux) coming out soon?

88. wally says:

Zee,
    On the subject of respect. Respect is something that is earned and earned repeatedly. Having earned it once or even several times does not entitle anyone or any company to a lifetime supply of respect.
    Respect will carry you through the inevitable mistakes that will occur. But when the mistakes keep reoccurring and when the mistakes don’t get fixed the respect that has been earned will dissipate.
    We are now at the stage where the respect has disappeared entirely for some, dissipated in many.
    You wouldn’t keep buying a suitcase model that keeps falling apart because the joints are ill-fitted on the basis of what it was 20 years ago would you.
    As a fandom we have become apathetic. Those of us who want wenger to go know it won’t happen unless the club pushes him. Winning meaningless game at the end of the season. FA cup victories v teams that are being relegated have merely papered over the cracks hasn’t it. We no longer care. Those who want him to stay are afraid that it would only get worse if he left (here’s a clue, your fears have been realized, 2nd to 5th and from 9 off the pace to at least 18 off the pace. And that’s after spending 100mm!).

Wenger has no one to blame but himself. And the danger for him and the club at this point is that unless pool fall apart you could make a very strong argument it will get much worse. No team has ever won the league while competing in Europa. Having fallen out of CL for a year it is very difficult to get back in the next year. Very few have done it. The lure of CL is important in recruiting players. Having lost your best player again, which the odds deeply favour, and fallen out of CL only amplifies the notion that we are a club on the decline. The circle could become complete.

It could become toxic.

89. Zee says:

Wally,

You put your case well. The only problem is you are answering something I did not say.

Here we go:

— “My oft repeated comment, originally made 3 years ago, is that AW should have retired then because I foresaw the unpleasantness that has now happened.

He is deserving of respect, and the way things are going it does not look as if he will get it from an increasing number of fans ” (#1 below)

Does that help you?

N.B. Your definition of respect is not one I recognise.

This is what ‘respect’ means:
    it is a feeling of deep admiration for someone elicited by their abilities, qualities, or past achievements.

Wenger’s achievements can never be denied — but people like you can deride his abilities, and his qualities (altho who are you to judge?) and that is what I was warning about at #1 above.

Believe what you want Wally, but do not try and put words in my mouth. OK?

Wally. Of those who fell out of the CL and returned, I can instantly think of Chavs, MC, Spurs who did so in recent years.

MU may well join them in they win in Stockholm, so I cannot agree with you. We will be back in 2018.

I also disagree that respect is something which is dependent upon recent results. Anyone who does not show respect to Mr Wenger is in my opinion a total ingrate. Perhaps you should use a different word because over 20 years AW has earned the respect of every single Arsenal fan.

I happen to believe that the club would be best served if AW hangs up his stopwatch this summer but he will always have my respect and admiration.

92. Zee says:

Raddy,

That is so much better put than I managed, and reflects my views exactly. Chapeau. 😀

93. wally says:

Zee,
    It wasn’t my intention to put words in your mouth. Apologies if that’s the way it came through.

I understand the argument you and br are making.

I think we would agree on the following. Wenger deserves to be lauded (respected?) for what he achieved in the first 13 years of his service. He was brilliant, insightful, ahead of his time….and more. He brought the club through a difficult transition and gave us a chance. Unparalleled in the club’s history.

Where we disagree is that respect has come to mean he cannot be criticized for the last 7 years of results. He is not, nor should he be immune from criticism. People, myself included, accepted the errors early on but when the same ones are repeated year after year after year one’s patience wears thin. When even an idiot like me can see where the problems are and they’re not fixed you know there is a serious problem afoot. We’re not wrong to put the questions why does this keep happening, why isn’t it being corrected.

Respect has also come to mean he should be allowed to choose when and how he leaves. That’s ludicrous. People should accept if he wants to stay on another ten years because of what happened 15 years ago? People should accept falling into mediocrity? I say nonsense.

As you can tell i disagree vociferously. That wenger loves the club is undoubted. That he thinks he’s the man to fix it is also undoubted. That he is capable of fixing the club is no longer in doubt. He’s not capable of fixing the club. In a year in which most of the big clubs struggled mightily we still weren’t in the race and finished 9 off the pace. This year they came back and we’re even further behind, despite the biggest spend ever.

Wenger’s legacy will be the totality of his service, not just the successes. I think we both could agree that the longer he stays the greater his light will be diminished. If his admirers really cared for him and his legacy they ought to be calling for an end.

Thanks for your consideration.

94. Zee says:

Actually, Wally, I am the one who owes you an apology.

I had been having a little ‘discussion’ elsewhere with an aggressive nincompoop, and was still annoyed when I returned to AA, and the adrenaline was still flowing when I read your comment, and I was too brusque.

I am sorry for that.

Oddly enough, I pretty much agree with your explanation, and I do not think anyone should get a free pass if they do not perform their job properly — but s Daddy said, AW has a lot of credit in my mind and deserves all the respect and admiration he is due – and if fans do not like what has happened in recent seasons I cannot pretend I do not agree to some extent.

I wrote the following on another blog site a short time ago, and in the bit that refers to AW, one of the people involved says he does not think he deserves all the blame.

Anyway, here it is: From the Financial Times this afternoon.

It is reported that Alisher Usmanov, the Russian billionaire who owns a 30% minority stake in Arsenal recently made a $1.3bn bid to buy out Kroenke.

He approached Kroenke last month, and his bid values the Arsenal at $2bn.
    Kroenke has said he is not interested in selling, and yet there are still other ‘investors smelling blood in the water.

Neither Arsenal nor Usmanov responded to the FT’s inquiries.

Of course Usmanov and Kroenke do not have a good relationship but who knows – if the price goes up? Maybe.

As I recall, part of the article refers to some of the fans being unhappy with our poor performances, but Usmanov repeated his claim that Kroenke is partly at fault for not giving AW more money to invest in players.

It was a more detailed article but that is all I remember.

Something – or – nothing?

There! We are friends again. 🙂

fook! this could be BLOODY great!!!!

I mean this: Alisher Usmanov: Arsenal shareholder makes £1bn takeover bid to Stan Kroenke

peaches 🙂 you are quick off the blocks 🙂
    Allegedly Kroenke has already rejected the bid, but Usmanov is prepared to make an improved offer. Please Stan, pretty please, pretty pretty please – fuck off and leave us alone

I’d like to see Kroenke go …. Usmanov would certainly be different … the fact is that many clubs have been swallowed up by billionaires …. unfortunately Kroenke is the most disinterested of them all

99. Hasn’t Stan currently got some problem in the U.S that could cost him a couple of billion? Sure I read that the other day, but saying that I often fantasise that people with more cash than I end up arguing over there Premier Inn bill.

If true, Usmanovs timing makes sense. I would also buy the Premier Inn and wait for Stan to settle down to the Adult Channel then send Lenny Henry in to make a commercial.

It’s two rich men fighting for our soul, and I find the whole thing distasteful. I am entitled to hypocritical morality, I spend all day pretending to like people who I would secretly prefer to be staring in there own YouTube video, “when Antelope sexually attack”

Neither is better than other.

One spent time in a Russian Gulag and didn’t lose weight? He’s the only man in history to make the Russian electorate think Siberian prisoners have there own clothes and watch DVDs which are not of them been rodgered by the guards.

The other is an investor in sports teams of which he has no emotional attachment. A bit like me in my marriages, though unlike Stan I ended up skint and got so badly rodgered my DVD could be used to placate the Russian public.

I hope someone else takes over. Hopefully an Arab, they’ve never Rodgered anybody.

100. I see that Cornwall and Kelsey liked the post. I demand there immediate reinstatement.

101. VP of Oz says:

Silent Stan they call him and yet he usually gets his way in the end.
    There is nothing worse than going up against someone who is silent in response yet is a formidable opponent who has a record of success (in business). I actually respect that. He doesn’t talk the talk he just walks the walk.

102. VP of Oz says:

Talking of respect.
    Chavs and Ant have mine
    Wally 5;45, although I disagree with parts, well said.
    Nice to see Shard and Herb back
    and for some reason I think of Lady Penelope whenever Peaches enters into the discussion

great post, again

103. VP of Oz says:

Nice day for it.

Always a nice day for it.

VP
    The Lady Penelope comparison is bang on. 🙂

Transplant on Usmanov

…One spent time in a Russian Gulag and didn’t lose weight

ROLFING

Morning all.

What the hell is THAT
    Cog? Dat?

Well, the hot topic in World Arsenal is the Usmanov bid, and he’s said he’d raise cash for players

Are we turned on?

Thought not 🙂

oooooh I am, very excited

113. Not me, he’s a gangster, definitely not someone we want running our football club. Sadly Stan’s not that interested either harruummmpppphhhh 😦

114. If we can just hold on until Flamini is a gazillionaire it’ll all work out fine 🙂

kroenke spent about £425 mil for the Club. He stands to double his money in less than 10 years. Not bad, is it?

Usmanov clearly is not treating this as a profitable business venture, it will take some time and investment to recoup a billion.

Could be a whole lot worse, could be the Chinese

Just bought AC Milan as well as Inter

a gangster?? wow, that’s even better 🙂
    Remember Norris, where would we be without him?

good point Micky, Chinese could change our colours to say all red!! cannot trust that mob.

No, Usmanov is the best man for the job. He REALLY wants it, did not give up after years and years of rejection. And he’d want to beat all other Ruski clubs, like chavs and monacco. He will not be taking money out to prop up some team in Uzbekistan. And he is gorgeous.

Is Usmanov as devastatingly handsome as Mustafi?

Gorgeous???? He may be preferable to the Nigerian guy. Usmanov wouldn’t be anyone’s first choice I reckon so the question we should ask is … is he preferable to Kroenke?

Rasp – YES. Kroenke has done nothing for us. Nothing, sweet eff all.

And yes I think he is gorgeous in the same way Melania Trump, Mrs Rod Stewart and Mrs Mick Jagger found their husbands irresitable 🙂

I agree Kroenke seems to have little interest in on the pitch affairs … we are just a commodity to him

We could go through the Times Top 10 Rich List and play pick your billionaire 🙂

At No1 are the Hindja Brothers
    Fine Anglo-Indians. Keen Brexiteers. Stonkingly rich. I suggest we pen them a letter forthwith.

Rasp – who cares if the owner has interest in the club? Not me. As long as the money is coming in rather than out, he is perfect.

He is filthy rich, worth about $15billion compared to Stan’s $7bn and Roman’s $8bn.

But even with his increadible wealth of $15bn $1.3bn is a huge chunk. It is like if I had £15 and spend £1.3 on something fancy…I wouldn’t think twice if I really wanted it 🙂

no micky! look at football in this coutry. 15% of population have Asian roots. How many Asian footballers are there? I cannot think of any.

ok, there are no Uzbeki footballers either, but I have not met any Uzbekis here either.

We’re after a businessman not a bloom’in footballer

Did you read the positions of Kroenke’s teams on BBC?

Stan Kroenke’s sporting franchises

Team Sport Latest performance

Arsenal Football – Premier League Fifth in league, FA Cup finalists

Colorado Rapids Football – MLS Bottom of Western Conference

Colorado Avalanche Hockey – NHL Bottom of Western Conference

Denver Nuggets Basketball – NBA Ninth in Western Conference

Los Angeles Rams American Football – NFL Third in NFC West

Pretty poor and clear evidence that the man does not give a jot.

I may not like Usamov and would much prefer that the fans could buy the club, but the Fat Bloke will surely want to take the club forward and has the money to do so.

Stan. Sell, sell, sell.

Alisher ( 🙂 ) made the bid over a month ago. The Club kept a close lid on that fact. Why?? And then Kroenke silently rejected £1bn, just like that!

Alisher had decided to go public with this information hoping the fans will support him, especially if things go predictably tits up tomorrow and next Saturday. Well, he has Eddie’s support. Not sure how to show it….

yes Raddy!!! he is a tool, I hate him. The worst billionaire owner in EPL.

oh micky, you know what I am trying to say. If we were a cricket club I would love an Indian owner.

130. Shard says:

Arsenal is worth 2017m according to Forbes. Grew by 659m since last year.

Usmanov’s offer is seemingly based on the current valuation, with no premium.

Kroenke is in it for the money, but there’s making money and there’s making money through running a business.

We are the second biggest sports franchise he owns (after the Rams moved to LA they are the largest) The only reason he would sell up is if he needs the cash, maybe to fund that Rams stadium complex, which has been delayed by a year. But if that’s the case, he could simply borrow it using Arsenal as leverage, instead of selling up.

Sports (and real estate) are KSE’s business. Prime property in London, 5th largest football brand in the world. Sell at value? Naah. Not going to happen.

131. Shard says:

Raddy

Some context to that? (I wrote this on another site)

As for none of Kroenke’s other franchises win… Take a look at their ‘worth’. There are far larger teams they need to compete against.. Now I know American sports work differently, but there is a spending cap in place, and apparently Kroenke spends at or near that cap for all his teams. Maybe the demand is he should exceed the cap and pay luxury tax like some other owners do, but that seems similar to Arsenal fans demanding Kroenke finance our transfers.

Personally, I think you exceed the luxury cap in US sports when you have the platform to win and just need that little bit extra. I don’t follow the other sports, but the Denver Nuggets despite having improved since he took over are nowhere near winning in the ultra competitive Western Conference (they got to 3rd a few years ago, but failed to make the playoffs this year).

Also, one could say that moving the Rams back to LA is exactly about winning. They even fired their head coach mid season because it was going worse than expected after they traded for the no.1 draft pick (more ‘ambition’)

The fundamental flaw with Kroenke’s ownership as far as I can see is that he is not ‘involved’. Which I think just means he doesn’t do knee jerk reactions and doesn’t meddle everyday. Personally, I prefer that, but to each his own.

So the Kroenke saga is quite inexplicable … David Dein tries to slip him in the back door, the Board take umbrage and oust him, then DF engineers SK into the club and lady Nina sells and we end up with SK any way …. and he turns out to be the worst case scenario … an owner who could take us to the very top … but couldn’t give a flying fig for the club or its supporters

133. Shard says:

Rasp

And what makes you think Usmanov would?

Shard. Let’s see what happens in summer.

If Sanchez and/or Ozil leave and we do not buy world class – established not potential world class, the policy will be financially driven.

Arsenal clearly need some major work if we are to win the league. We have very good players but not enough great players.

If Kroenke and the BoD persuade S & O to stay AND buy some really stonking players then I will be happy, but I fear the worst

Shard, Usmanov goes to games … he is an Arsenal supporter … Stan isn’t

Arsenal is Usmanov’s hobby, he does not own other sporting clubs, except for some fencing enterprises (he himself loves fencing). Kroenke specialises in milking soccer clubs. that’s the difference shard

He bid £1bn for the AFC. do you think it is a business thing and he expects to get his money back with a profit?? Come on mate

Shame no-one stuck up New Post

Only needed one word 🙂

ps I don’t believe either Stan or Usmanov are in it so much for profit as a safe haven for loot

Yip, it’s great the asset grows so much and therefore better and safer than a bank

138. Shard says:

Yup. I do. Just like I think Abramovich isn’t simply throwing away his money on players, and that Abu Dhabi are using ManCity as an investment vehicle.

I don’t expect either of the billionaires to care about the fans or even the club other than the value it represents to them.

Usmanov is only putting in money to buy the shares to gain control. Something Kroenke did as well. He has never said that he will put in his own money to buy players. In fact, he avoided saying it. R&W’s business plan (such as it was) outlined in the wake of the RVP letter was basically the same as KSE’s.

And what I don’t like about Usmanov and his leaks is that they always seem to be timed to cause the greatest disruption to Arsenal. Doesn’t seem like he cares too much to me.

AT least with Stan, we know where we stand. First do no harm, if nothing else. I don’t want nor expect him to put in his money to fund transfers. Arsenal can and should fund themselves.

I agree with Raddy. The club has to show they are serious about competing in the summer. Even more so if we miss out on CL, because it might take paying more to convince good players to come, and of course, to keep the ones we have.

But I’d still pick Kroenke over Usmanov. Not that any of us have a vote in this.

Micky. Usamov … Yes.

Kroenke? Married to Mrs Walmart and the proud owner of both a moustache and a wig – I doubt it.

140. Shard says:

Rasp, Stan has 5 sports franchises. Is he supposed to go to all the games for all of them to prove…what exactly?

By the way, how do we know Usmanov attends more games than Stan? Who says so? Besides, if he can leak this stuff to get the fans on his side, is buying a season ticket beyond his PR team’s purview?

Substance. What will Usmanov bring to the table, and what will he take away? At the moment, we know Kroenke has only taken away 3m pounds each for 2 years. Nothing else. The club has grown its sponsorships and there has been increased investment in the team in that time too.

Usmanov has never said he will put in his own money. He hasn’t even said this bid is going to be funded from his purse. It might just be an LBO like the Glazers did for ManU for all we know.

141. Shard says:

Oh and Usmanov also demanded dividends once.

He’s made his money investing in shares of companies on the rise (like Facebook) He may not own other sports franchises, but I don’t think he sees Arsenal as anything other than an investment vehicle.

142. I go by the face and Usmanovs screams naughty fat man.

Who put out this leak to the FT? It has to be his people right? And who are these other interested parties?

My guess is he wants someone else to make a bid. Why? Because under market rules the same price offered to Stan, presumably at a premium, has to be offered to him. So bingo, he makes a killing.

I wasn’t joking in last nights comment. This is ruthless business dealings and I find the fact our club is the subject distasteful.

Yes, I know it’s the real world and what should we expect when our Club is worth so much money, but it doesn’t mean I have to like it.

As usual you are being argumentative Shard, I can’t be bothered to respond to you

144. Shard says:

Fair enough Rasp.

I’ll just put down my arguments.

1. Usmanov’s never laid out his plans for running Arsenal. The closest he came to it was the letter which outlined the same plan as KSE’s (increased sposnorships leading to more transfer funds)

2. Even when asked he hasn’t said he will put in his money to buy players. And yet it seems this is commonly assumed what will happen.

3. He’s made money investing in shares, and either selling them, or through dividends. Which he has demanded Arsenal pay out.

4. It’s not even known how he will be funding any takeover.

5. His past is unknown/shady. I am not saying that disqualifies him, but it should raise a red flag.

So, anyone interested in answering. My question is, what are the counter arguments to these, or indeed why do you think he will be a) any different, and b) better.

We’re Arsenal supporters on here Shard ..: not pseudo intellectuals trying to score points off one another

146. Shard says:

Now who’s being argumentative?

So I’m a pseudo intellectual because I think we, as Arsenal supporters, should have a reason or two or ten for wanting another owner?

Maybe the problem is not me, but how you imagine my tone to be? Because I fail to see how I’ve been offensive to you or anyone.. And if I have, you should know it is not intentional.

147. VP of Oz says:

The following article –

Kroenke has let it be known that he does not want to sell and that the ownership is for his family for generations to come.

Chaps. As I understand it AA purports to allow each other the right to hold a different viewpoint.

Both of you make valid arguments, isn’t that enough?

BTW. I don’t see anything pseudo about Shard’s intellectualism 😀

Well you should read again Raddy, Shard only comes on to discuss club politics or finances … he rarely comments on a great goal or anything that portrays the emotional attachment of grass roots fans. Fair enough if he thinks supporting a club is all about the minutiae of some technical point … my version is about enjoying us playing great football, scoring goals and winning games

Shard – why do we fans need two or ten reasons to want another owner? I have one reason and I believe it to be valid – I want my club to win trophies, to become competitive again, to be able to sign with pride ‘by far the greatest team the world has ever seen’. In the current market it is not possible (unless by fluke like Leicester did last season) to compete with ultra wealthy clubs. I would be immensely proud, as I was all these years before if we could be top of the table on a shoe string budget. But it is not happening right now and since Kroenke’s take over we have been regressing. Wenger is very convenient for Kroenke and he is the main reason AW is still at his job. A more competitive owner (Abra) would search over and over again for a new manager, who could deliver. It has proven to be expensive but very successful for Chelsea. I want it for my club. I want the trophies that Chavs got since Roman bought the club. Why not?

Usmanov’s past has nothing to do with us. And you are telling me that any billionaire earned his money doing honest 9-5 job than you need a reality check.

151. Shard says:

How is ownership a minutiae? And you probably hadn’t noticed Rasp (and who can blame you?), but I don’t remember the last time I was here on AA to discuss anything. The trigger to come back was the article on JC, and today when I came on, the ownership was being discussed. By you as well.

Eddie. My take isn’t based on morality, rather on practicality. Past can be an indicator of future action. That we know virtually nothing about how he manages his business is, or should be, an issue. As for the winning trophies thing, my question was why he would bring Arsenal more trophies, when he has never laid out his plans for how he will run the club? Why do you assume he will be another Abramovich, when there are a few indications that he isn’t (asking for dividends, not saying he’ll spend his own money to fund transfers even when asked etc)

shard – my assumptions have as much substance as yours 🙂 I look at the man and see a very successful, determined individual. I like it. I look at Kroenke and see his businesses (sporting ventures) doing badly. I don’t like it.

As I said earlier – Usmanov’s past is his to live with, nothing to do with us. Why was he in jail in the communist regime is irrelevant now. I told you before I had friends and family friends in jails for imaginary crimes. Don’t judge a man you know next to nothing about. He seems to be doing an awful lot for charitable causes, which is always good in my books.

153. Shard says:

Well Eddie, I disagree that you have as much ‘substance’ to back up the stance that he will spend his own money to buy players (if indeed that is your stance)

Kroenke’s sporting ventures are successful in the same way that Usmanov is successful. Money.

Kroenke is a businessman, and so is Usmanov. I don’t see why you think otherwise, but let’s leave it now before you set your bulldogs on me 🙂

one (1) pitbull, not bulldogs. I can defend my point of view without any help, and that is because I actually believe in what I am saying.

No, Kroenke’s sporting ventures are anything but successful, please look at Raddy’s comment earlier on. Do you call this success??

Also, Usmanov is a magnate in the mining industry, back to his roots. He is worth at least twice as much as Kroenke and that’s without his wife’s humongous input. So no, you are wrong. Usmanov is at least twice as good as Kroenke.

not sure why we are arguing about it, as whatever happens will not be influenced by what we think or want. But anybody who does not want a change at the Arsenal is deluded. Change is required and Usmanov could bring the much required changes. Who else?? Kroenke, I think not.

155. Shard says:

Eddie

If arseblog is to be believed, there are other interested parties, and Usmanov will sell up and go to join his pal Moshiri at Everton, as long as Kroenke can be convinced to sell.

I don’t believe in quick change as much as I believe in growth. (Evolution over revolution) In terms of organic growth, no one has grown more or faster than Arsenal. I don’t think we need a fundamental change at the club. Maybe a slight recalibration in terms of prioritising the immediate term more. (Unless Kroenke is preventing us from spending our own money. If that is the case then I want him out)

Guess that’s where we fundamentally disagree.

What is your pitbull called?

Frankly I see no issue with money flowing through the club, my only issue would be if the club got caught up in anything unsavoury due to his dodgy background. However it may cause AW some trepidation.

157. Zee says:

How interesting to see such feisty exchanges about obscenely wealthy people no one on here, or any other blog for that matter, has any real knowledge concerning their motives or aspirations.

What we, as fans, do know is what we want. Even that can be different from fan to fan, but first and foremost we all want Arsenal to be successful in competing for and hopefully winning trophies.
    [The owners seem to be satisfied with successfully increasing the value of the club.]

We realise that to win trophies in the modern era requires a liberal share of the best players available. To obtain them requires funding, and altho it is easy to forget, the UEFA FFP rules still exist which dictates the co-relation between funds, profits/losses and debts.

In essence, the days of owners simply pouring their personal monies into transfers are gone. Turnover is key – the more sponsorship monies are available, determined by how many trophies are won, influences how much is available to spend on transfers, and that continues on an iterative basis.

It does not matter frankly what Kroenke or Usmanov promise to pour into the Arsenal transfer kitty is …….. limited by the FFP rules.

What the heck does all that mean? For me, I do not give a stuff about the owners, anymore than they care about me.

As a fan, I want the club to win trophies. I want to enjoy watching Arsenal again. I want the manager and the team to be judged on their achievements.

The rest is bullshit.

Thank you res amies. 😀

158. Zee says:

For anyone interested, and who has not yet heard, this is an article on the Daily Telegraph.

—- “Arsène Wenger has paved the way to remain Arsenal manager for another two seasons after indicating that he is now prepared to accept changes in the club’s footballing structure.

As revealed by The Daily Telegraph in March, Arsenal have been assessing candidates for a new off-field role and, while Wenger reacted dismissively to the idea of a ‘director of football’ title, he has been told that the position will not cut across his core first-team work. Final details must still be mutually decided at a board meeting after next Saturday’s FA Cup final against Chelsea, but there is growing confidence that agreement can be reached on a head of operations/sporting director role.

Not only is the club’s owner, Stan Kroenke, adamant that he will not sell his stake to Alisher Usmanov, the second largest shareholder, but his support for Wenger, albeit in a modified structure, still appears utterly solid.

Wenger was asked on Friday whether he would work with a ‘director of football’ and stressed that his problem would be with people choosing players for him. “Director of football – when I say that – is a guy who makes the decisions that normally are down to the manager,” he said. “That means selection of players, buying and all matters that concern the functioning of the team on a daily basis.

“Of course we can need help to become better. I am always open to that. I am always open to things that improve the quality and the future of the club. After that, you have to see if it’s really efficient because the titles do not always make you better.”

Wenger’s stance is markedly more positive than two weeks ago, even if his observation that most Premier League clubs have “too many” coaches underlines an ongoing degree of caution and scepticism.

The new role that is being envisaged would offer coordinated support across all off-field football operations, including analytics, scouting, sports science, youth development and even simply logistics, rather than shape actual day-to-day aspects of coaching or team selection.

A title has not been decided but comparable roles at other clubs have gone by the name head of recruitment, football director, head of operations as well as the more controversial sporting director or director of football descriptions.

This situation has become pivotal to deciding Wenger’s future – with the Frenchman adamant both that he must retain control over football and that the departure of any of his core backroom team against his will would represent a red line.

Arsenal are looking at various different models and, while they are well aware that a structure like Southampton, where director Les Reed heads the long-term football planning, would be unacceptable to Wenger, they do want to evolve how they work. In the longer-term, it also points to establishing someone who can work in more detail on the Wenger succession and perhaps grow the role for when a managerial change is eventually made.

Although Arsenal do not view the two hugely important remaining matches of the season as critical to their managerial decision, the results against Everton tomorrow and then Chelsea in the Cup final will shape the backdrop for what remain delicate talks.

Arsenal need to beat Everton and hope that Liverpool do not win against Middlesbrough to maintain the unbroken 20-year top-four record.

Wenger is adamant that his focus must now rest solely on the team over the final week of the season, meaning he remains genuinely unsure if tomorrow will be his final game at the Emirates Stadium he was so influential in building.

“I cannot tell you that,” he said. “The most important thing for us is to win. After that, what happens to me is less important. I’m not here for personal glory.”

Wenger then confirmed that there would be a board meeting after the Cup final and that he is expecting an announcement in the days that follow.

Some sort of change in the wind — but is it enough for those angry fans?

Just on a quick indoors break, but as a point of interest, Usmanov has said he would inject funds for players by underwriting a rights issue

shard – I am a revolutionary at heart

pitbull is called Razor.

161. Shard says:

Nice try Micky (on Usmanov’s part), but a rights issue means he’s buying shares, not players.

Ooh..Razor. Does he get a T-Bone sometimes (Cartoon joke – SwatKats)

it is possible that Usmanov has not announced any plans yet because he is not an owner. He would look like a tool if he stated what he is going to do and be snubbed by the Yank.

Razor is really called Bambi 🙂 And I am afraid he is a bambi by name and bambi by nature, village idiot.

163. Zee says:

Your response to Micky’s comment is not quite right, Shard,.

A Rights Issue generates more capital for the company, which can then be used to fund expenditure — and could be used fund transfers.

Why are you dismissing it as only a ‘nice try’?

164. Zee says:

Eddie,

Usmanov and Kroenke are both part-owners by virtue of the shares they own.

The critical difference is that Kroenke has more shares and therefore with 67% of the shares has a controlling interest.

165. Shard says:

Zee.

166. Shard says:

A pitbull named Bambi 😀

167. Zee says:

Shard, it is not like you to ask the wrong question.

In a Share Issue, the company offers shareholders additional shares at a discounted rate in order to raise capital.

The shareholders get extra shares – the club/company get the cash.

Therefore Usmanov’s cash (and kroenke’s if he buys the shares on offer too) goes into the company’s/club’s bank account and can then be used to fund the purchase of players

There would be other consequences, of course, which might not be in Kroenke’s interests, so it is unlikely he would agree to such a move, even though it would legally introduce money into the club and not fall foul of the UEFA FFP rules.

168. JanMan says:

Rasp. I am somewhat disappointed at your treatment of Shard. He makes a very valid discussion and is expressing his point of view. Does AA no longer allow people to express a point of view? Sorry Rasp but when you treat people like that it is little wonder that more and more people are leaving the blog. AA is not Le Grove but if people are accused of being argumentative just for having a point of view them shame on you.

169. Shard says:

Zee

The fact that the money can be used to fund player purchases is not the same as Usmanov buying players for Arsenal. He gets something out of it, which is the same thing he’s willing to apparently pay 1bn pounds for, ie, increased (or complete) stake in Arsenal.

He proposed it knowing full well that Kroenke has no reason to pay more for what he already owns.

It is also no ‘solution’ to Arsenal having less financial power than Chelsea or ManCity (or ManU), because a rights issue is basically a one off.

Why I said nice try is exactly for this reason. It’s an obfuscation of the fact that Usmanov is simply trying to increase his shareholding and making Kroenke out to be the bad guy for not diluting his share.

Why I prefer Kroenke is also because he’s (mostly) a straight up guy. We know he’s in it as a business and doesn’t pretend otherwise.

170. Zee says:

Shard,

You are wriggling and changing your rather pointless question, into something which Micky did not say.

You quite clearly asked me, “When fresh shares are issued, what would Usmanov be paying for? The shares, or players?”

You are now ignoring my answer and inferring you know exactly what Usmanov was really trying to do, and that is simply guess work on your part, and not related to your earlier comment/question.

You should know by now I will not play that game — go look for some other sucker who thinks he can read minds.

171. Thanks for the article about Arsene staying RedZed. It would probably make some of his critics heads explode, but who cares.

There is some evidence to support the theory of “human internal combustion”. Some bloke in the fifties was reading the Times whilst sitting in his armchair by the logfire when next morning his Mrs found him burnt to a crisp? The only things remaining was his pipe, a single slipper, and the share prices section of the paper, so he may have been related to Kronke.

On another occasion back in 1978, a man who had just attended a Max Bygraves concert caught fire whilst on the N29 bus. Forensics found that he had a can of oil in his pocket, and had probably oiled himself in hope Max may have invited him back stage after the show for a sing a long and some Greco Roman wrestling.

I don’t want to be a killjoy but I have spotted a correlation here. Everyone who internally explodes is doing something really boring. In other words, if your reading the share prices whilst listening to Bygraves, you will most likely explode. And post mortem suspected by friends and family of oiled up homosexuality.

This puts a lot of Arsenes critics in the most severe danger.

172. Shard says:

Zee

Micky said Usmanov will inject funds for players through a rights issue.

I said a rights issue means Usmanov is buying shares, which is what he is paying for.

You said that is not quite right because the money can be used to buy players.

And yes, my following on Usmanov is inference, but the original part is not.

You said ‘The shareholders get extra shares – the club/company get the cash’. So Usmanov is getting extra shares, ie he is buying shares. No?

173. Shard says:

Basically Zee. My point is funding player purchases gives you no tangible asset in exchange (except depreciating and volatile ones like players), while in a rights issue you are buying shares in a fixed asset. So they are not the same thing. Even if for the club the effect is the same (or similar)

well done guys, you managed to confuse the hell out of me. What on earth are you talking about?? What are the rights issue?

175. Shard, your a good guy and I very much enjoy reading your interesting posts, but sometimes man, you just have to let something go.

I had a similar problem a few years back when this women in a furniture store beat me to this last remaining garden hammock. I just couldn’t let it go, and despite security’s best efforts and the shop offering me a rocking chair, it eventually needed the authorities to give me an injection.

JanMan – don’t you worry about Shard, he can manage 🙂 the beauty of him is that he genuinely doesn’t give a shit about his critics. Ain’t that right shard?

177. Eddie, it’s when rich people create more shares and under law the exsisting shareholders can snap them up effectively meaning these rich people have managed to put more money into there rich company so the richer Company now has money to buy Draxler.

terry – what do you mean ‘create more shares’? split up each share?

179. Zee says:

I am not buying that bullshit, Shard, don’t insult me.
    There you go again with yet another ridiculous change to try and cover yourself.

You either are being disingenuous, — ‘is Usmanov buying shares in a share rights issue which raises capital for the club, which they can use to meet expenditure, or to buy players in the transfer market? —- my o my, I thought he was buying packets of crisps to share or maybe players that he can keep in his back yard’.

Or, you are trying to cover up your mistake in not knowing what a rights issue is, and being supercilious with Micky.

Hmmm – I wonder which it is, Shard?

Never mind, your friend Janman will help you out, having already insulted Rasp, he will no doubt now tell me I should not get annoyed with your shennanigans.

How wonderful to be as superior as he obviously thinks he is. 🙄

180. Shard says:

I know Terry. I do. But it’s been so long since I’ve been here, that it would be bad luck to only annoy Rasp before I go 🙂

181. Say Stan has 100 shares and Usmanov 50 Eddie. Then the rights issue can create another 150 say, at an agreed price. In other words any amount but let’s say the total is the price for Draxler £60 million

So, Stan gets another 100 which cost him £40 m, and Usmanov another 50 which cost him £20 m, so stand shares are now 200 and Usmanovs 100, and the club has £60 m in the bank to buy Draxler

182. Shard says:

And right on cue… Mission accomplished I guess.

183. Zee says:

Terry,

— “it eventually needed the authorities to give me an injection.” is that because you were trying to give her an injection? 😊

184. Shard says:

Eddie

Honestly, it’s actually the opposite. I care too much and I genuinely believe the ‘gap’ is bridgeable. Which is probably why I try too hard and talk too much.

shard – oooh! how disappointing 😦 I thought you were one tough cookie. Man up boy!!

186. Zee says:

No you appear to have got that wrong, Terry.

In your example, Kroenke would have bought a £40m player to take back to the States, and Usmanov a £20m duffer to take back to Russia — and Eddie gets Draxler!!
    F*ck knows who got the shares.

Obvious, innit? 😀

terry – stan gets 100 shares = stan buys 100 shares for 40m?

Terry. I am a big fan of spontaneous combustion which is my chosen death

189. Shard says:

I’m as tough as a pitbull Eddie 🙂

190. I wouldn’t have said no RedZed, but she ruined her chances by nicking that hammock when I had obviously claimed it first.

On hindsight I should have used psychological techniques by letting her know her arse was to big and she would break it but through consumer desperation I wasn’t thinking straight.

All forgotten now. If I saw her again I would ask her out and if I managed to get into her house I would nick the hammock

oh no shard, my pitbull is simply pathetic. I never had a softer dog, I feel very, very let down by him.

So, who initiates the rights issue, can any stakeholder? Who puts the price on the new shares and who has rights to buy them?

192. Hahaha Raddy, that made me laugh out loud. I really like it , “my chosen death” hahaha

193. Shard says:

I could answer you Eddie, but I don’t want to get called out for more shenanigans, so I’ll let the experts handle it.

This Bambi is going to get off the ice.

Dobranoc.

194. Zee says:

Terry,

I am disappointed if Shard does not respond as I had not even got around to asking him about the purchase of ‘a depreciating and volatile player’.

Hmm, I think that’s illegal under the Human rights Act, isn’t it?
    I’ve never seen one have you – or did he mean a flatulent lardy ass? 😀

195. Zee says:

Shard,

Stay and chat to Eddie, I am off. 🙂

196. Haha, it’s funny how when one lets one off covertly RedZed, no one ever examines the groups bottom size and then pass logical reasoning to accuse he with the fattest arse.

Next time I’m in a lift I’m going to do that. Though, usually I cover my tracks by bending down and pretending I’m in prayer.

197. Zee says:

Terrance,

They are all scared of the European Union rule. “he who smelt it must have dealt it” so they keep schtum, except for whispering ‘it was Terry!”.

Hi Janman, sorry I’m late to respond but I’ve been out most of the day. You need to scratch beneath the surface. Blogging is an outlet for emotion as well as a home of reason (by some) It is not a forum to prove that you are more clever than the next guy. The telltale signs are long posts with lots of caveats so as to exclude any contrary argument … and the politicians’ favourite = to subtly change the focus of the subject when faced with a point that can’t be refuted.

For crying out loud rasp, give it a break
    shard is very clever and doesn’t need to prove anything

I often disagree with his views but that doesn’t stop me enjoying his vast knowledge, and learn from him

Eddie, I was responding to a comment from JanMan earlier. He addressed me directly

And I agree with Janman, you are very harsh on shard

202. Ant says:

Let’s get back to the most important thing in life..

Didn’t I do well 🙂
    Enter left. Dump a stinker. Exit right.

Look lads, our Shard comes across as a tiny bit extremely right wing what with stating opinions as facts and stuff. When he’s wrong, he fights.

No need to get upset with the lad. Engage and run. Engage al la RA and explain the truth or lie low.

Filled an empty day very nicely 🙂

Ok, yip yip match day and what a whoppa

VP…great vid choice 🙂

Oh bugger. My 7:48. I meant NO need to get upset with the lad

Anyone watch rugger semis yesterday

I watch last 15 mis of each. Both last gasp winners.

Can’t get BT sports, so I made the mistake of watching the first episode of Breaking Bad. Huge, huge error. I feel an addiction coming on and it is 6 series 😦

Shard “comes across as a tiny bit extremely right wing”.
    Are you crazy?
    No idea what this means at all.

Ah, I know, a left winger cutting in from the right. Bollocks.

Breaking Bad is well worth the effort, BR.
    Only loonies and people from Devon would think otherwise.

Matchday!

211. Troll Shard trolls hard says:

I appreciate the peacemaking effort Micky, but why do I not get a chance to respond? My comment was in no way abusive or even as insulting as Rasp’s, and yet it gets deleted?

Chas
    It means he wears steel toe-capped boots during a debate 🙂
    Kind of blunt heavy handedness.

I particularly liked this bit, Shard, ” invoking the spirit of my ex in complaining that it wasn’t what I said but how I said it, I would have gotten away with it too. *shakes fist in frustration*”

Shard
    Pass. I don’t know and didn’t see the comment to which you refer.
    I avoid the controls of this place as frankly I’d ban everyone 🙂

Anyway, motning session now

215. Ant says:

ha ha ha all about Shard again
    I had fallen asleep arguing with X about it last night

I have no problem with shard, he is knowledgeable and feels an urge to educate us, let him. Most of his comments are too long for my concentration anyway 🙂

match day, yippee!! the horrible season is just about to end.

micky – did you see that bit “Breaking Bad is well worth the effort, BR.Only loonies and people from Devon would think otherwise”

that’s me and you.

218. Shard says:

Sorry Micky. It now appears it was chas working in the background (and he has chosen to edit rather than censor 🙂 ) . I wouldn’t normally kick up a fuss about this, but I didn’t think it was a normal situation.

Anyway. Matchday, and as Eddie astutely points out. Closer to the end of a horrible season. And yet, maybe..maybe.. we again finish in the CL spots and win an FA Cup? That would be some salvage job.

219. I agree Eddie, Shards a good lad and I like him:

However, he must be punished. Everyone must be punished some time and his time has come.

shard – frankly I am shocked that your comment was deleted. That’s a real stinker. If I were you I would repeat it a few times

I did not see the comment, but knowing you I doubt very much it was contagious.

Shard
    Comments trashed are still available for those with the keys to read.
    I’ve trashed nothing of yours.

Eddie

Every single person I know, here and elsewhere, who watches telly, raves about Breaking Bad. I think my negativity towards it was in part the knowledge that it has about thirty episodes. Eight, yes ok, thirty no.

223. Shard says:

Oops chas. Swing and a miss strike two..

micky – never mind 30 episodes. I am the loony and you are people from Devon!! I don’t know…

225. Shard says:

micky

It gets worse. There’s now a ‘prequel’ series called Better Call Saul, which too is fantastic.

Better Call Saul is ace, too.

227. Chas, I fear you may have internally combusted Raddy.

We know Raddy is a bit of a leftie so it’s highly likely his hypocracy means he was reading his facebook and google share movements whilst listening to Bygraves

The only thing left of him could be a Jesus sandal, half smoked spliff, and a parchment resembling the Dead Sea scrolls which in future years scholars will decipher as “Must Win Gammon”

thank you for the dog shard 🙂 to be honest though I don’t like my pitbull, he is too soft, complete waste of space. Too big to be a lap dog (that’s what he wants) and too much of a wuss to be a proper dog. I love him, his is my dog, but don’t like his personality much

Pug is all you’d want from a dog – good guard dog, great companion and warm soft fat ball of love , best mutt ever.

Nope. I like either some serious art house shit, or two hours max of a goodie, a baddie, a hottie and a helicopter

I am watching ‘Billions’. It is ok, but not half as good as british drama series

Bambi is gorgeous.
    I can’t believe you want some snarling brute of a dog.
    Mind you, as you like Mustafi, Delap and Joey Deacon, anything could be true. 🙂

Sorry, Joey Barton. 😆

Right, Taxi duty for me. Five loathsome looking teenagers to ferry to train station

I expect the stench of body odour to be repulsive and the conversation set to grunt level

we walk in the local park and people who approach us I could swear I have never seen before. But they all know ‘Bambi’. And they call him ‘Bambi, Bambi!” and he ruuuuuns, wagging, laughing, fooking village idiot 🙂

I don’t want a snarling brute, BUT I would love a dog that barks, is protective and gives off the vibes. Bambi is none of that 🙂

Mind you, they say it is how you bring up a dog, I probably have myself to blame 😦

Village idiots are always my favourites.

do you want him 🙂

If I could, I would.

Shard. Perhaps you used a banned word, then the comment goes to trash. I enjoyed the conversation yesterday,

it is always good to read something I don’t understand – it stops me getting an inflated ego, though Mrs R, says it is because I am thick.

we didn’t buy him yet, did we?

nobody wants pitbulls, only the twats who used them for fighting.

8.59 I think that at least hundred times a day walking through the streets of Copenhagen in summer 🙂

There is a New Post.

raddy – I honestly think it is time for the next divorce 🙂
    Shard would never use a banned word, he is very PC

Will you write a PM?

Simply brilliant post, fantastic book and a pretty special fella.

Looking forward to meeting everyone today.